Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top API Management tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure API Management: Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager vs Microsoft Azure API Management

What is Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager?

API Manager is a component of Anypoint Platform for designing, building, managing, and publishing APIs. Anypoint Platform uses Mule as its core runtime engine. You can use API Manager on a public cloud, such as CloudHub, a private cloud, or a hybrid. A hybrid deployment is an API deployed on a private server but having metadata processed in the public cloud.

Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager is also known as Anypoint API Manager.

Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager Buyer's Guide

Download the Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager Customers

Coca-Cola, Splunk, Citrix, UCSF, Vertu, State of Colorado, National Post, TiVo, Deakin, LLS, Oldcastle Precast, ParcelPoint, Justice Systems, Ube, Sumitomo Corporation, PacificComp, University of Witwatersrand, Groupe Initiatives, Camelot, Panviva

Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager Video

Archived Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager Reviews (more than two years old)

Consultant Principal on: MuleSoft Expert, Oracle Fusion Expert, webMethods Expert; Dev, SA, EA, PM at Visual Integrator Consulting
It's provided a complete and architecturally sound solution for building publicly facing API's that can be consumed and invoked by client-side devices.

What is our primary use case?

Functional:  Integrate Supply Chain automation; Financial System integrations

Technical: Expose API's to Trading Partners

How has it helped my organization?

It's provided a complete and architecturally sound solution for building publicly facing API's that can be consumed and invoked by client-side devices, such as mobile. Calling APIs from JavaScript sounds easy, but it must be secure and performance driven. Mulesoft allows for that.

Integrating cloud to cloud or SaaS to on premise has its considerations, and Mulesoft improves the development, design, and implementation of integrating federated systems and datastores across clouds, networks, and domains.

What is most valuable?

• Ability to create and test API "microservices" using RAML
  • Develop policies that can be applied and re-used across API's and trading partners
  • Strong security and integration to identity providers to protect public facing APIs
  • Intuitive development tools based on fundamental computer science concepts, drag/drop
  • Simple cloud and hybrid cloud deployment models. Good security by putting each application onto a separate VM in the cloud.
  • Large set of connectors
  • Innovative concept with "Connector Marketplace" which is similar to Salesforce.
  • Solid integration with DevOps and continuous integration tools.
  • Good build for its transformation, translation, and orchestration features. For example, visual mapping, an IDE for building visual flows, drag and drop connectors and templates.

What needs improvement?

• Mulesoft doesn't provide a complete stack. For example, it doesn't have BPM/Workflow, BAM, or Identity Management products.
  • The User Interfaces on the Mulesoft tools aren't as nice as some of it's competitors.
  • Improved business level analytics is currently on the roadmap.
  • We created a framework for transaction management since one is not provided out of the box.

Three to five years.

There have been no stability issues.

Good scalability in AWS/EC2.

10/10 - They have a very strong customer success and professional services team.

9/10 - They're very quick to help with tickets and deploy fixes.

I have used Software AG webMethods and Oracle SOA Suite at other customers, but none have switched.

I've implemented it both ways. Their vendor team is 10/10 for their RapidStart program to help customer with their initial use cases.

Consider cloud vs. on-premise. Have a good vision of your medium term needs so you can plan for growth. Develop an API/integration roadmap

For API we looked at Apigee, Axway, Mashery, and CA Layer 7.

For ESB/SOA we looked at SAG webMethods, and IBM.

What other advice do I have?

Our approach is to know your use cases (through workshops), and map them back to vendor capabilities to scorecard the platforms.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are independent API advisors; however, we have partnered and delivered on implementation work. We provide an independent evaluation and selection scorecard of API, ESB, and SOA vendors.
IT Project & Demand Manager at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
Lightweight and easy to setup, build and deploy APIs. Load balancing may be an area of improvement.

What is most valuable?

The product is very lightweight and easy to setup, build and deploy APIs.

How has it helped my organization?

As a B2B2C company, our goal is to provide a clean interface to our systems. With Anypoint API Manager we have been able to quickly develop a standard API gateway. Plus, we developed a custom API solution for our key client by reusing most of the components.

What needs improvement?

Load balancing may be an area of improvement.

Two years.

No issues.

Good level, they respond quickly and escalate as well if needed.

Technical support is part of Mulesoft professional services, so it's not included in the solution.

No, setup has been easy, we setup a whole stack dev to production within a business day.

We implemented it in-house.

It's a per core pricing, maybe if your number of cores raise up quickly prices can escalate.

Apache Camel and TIBCO. TIBCO was much more expensive than Mulesoft and not so easy to configure. Apache Camel lacked of web management console.

Product Categories
API Management
Download our free Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.