RS
COO at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
Cost-effective, good performance, easy to use, and the cross-platform capabilities are nice

• "What I've been most pleased with is the cost point, performance, and ease of use."
  • "The analytics features are in need of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is as a reporting solution, data collection, data manipulation, and similar tasks. We install MySQL on Linux and Windows machines for testing our enterprise application.

We are a solution provider and this product is part of our offering to our clients.

How has it helped my organization?

MySQL hasn't really affected our organization, specifically because we primarily use it in a consulting model.

What is most valuable?

All of the databases basically have the same set of features.

It is very easy to configure, it's easy to deploy, and it's cross-platform capabilities are quite nice.

What needs improvement?

The analytics features are in need of improvement. They aren't as far along as the capabilities that you have in terms of analytics for SQL Server and Oracle.

I have been using MySQL for about five years.

I've had no problems with stability and its recovery processing, error processing, and things along those lines have been fine.  We always use Java applications and the JDBC drivers work fine.

I haven't had any issues at all with its reporting or its transaction processing, or anything else.

For our use-cases, the scalability is fine. We haven't seen any issues and we're processing probably hundreds of millions of rows each day. We're not into the billions or tens of billions, so we're probably a medium-to-low use case.

Most of our instances are single-instance databases, so I haven't had to deal with its clustering capabilities or distributed database feature set.

Our clients vary in size, although we generally operate as a small system inside a major organization.

I have never had to utilize technical support. There was never an issue that I had to call in.

I use a lot of databases including MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, and PostgreSQL.

The performance of SQL Server and Oracle is better than MySQL. The two alternatives have other features, as well.

The initial set up very straightforward. MySQL is easy to deploy and very easy to configure. We can literally bring up instances in minutes.

This product has a good price point.

We had been on SQL Server and Oracle, and a subset of our customers wanted us to switch and use MySQL. We explored what that transition would take and then implemented it.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is looking into implementing MySQL is to start by carefully evaluating their use cases. One of the things that we found is that MySQL didn't necessarily have all of the flexibility for JSON and XML processing at the time. I know that they've improved it, although it's not quite the same as what you see specifically in Oracle. So, the customer has to evaluate that. For straight-on basic transaction processing, it's worked out just as well with few issues from SQL Server to MySQL or from Oracle to MySQL.

For my use, I'm fine with what they have. I'll be interested in what they'll provide in analytics, as well as JSON and XML processing if that's even on their roadmap. For right now, it's really not an impact on my use case.

If I were rating SQL Server or Oracle then I would rate either one a nine out of ten. The only difference is that they do perform better than MySQL, although they don't perform so much better than it's relevant.

KH
Data Solution Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Free and easy to use but needs better backup functionality

• "The solution has been very easy to scale so far."
  • "The backup methods need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using it as a database for our products. For internally built systems, we have MySQL. We use it internally.

What is most valuable?

It's our database due to the fact that it's cheaper and is actually free to use.

The product is very easy to use, yes.

It's quite stable.

The solution is very compatible with many versions of Linux. Most of Linux is free, so it's easy to implement with MySQL. Whether it's Ubuntu, CentOS, or different types of Linux, it's the same across other operating systems, and therefore it's very easy to use and compatible with any demand that comes from developers. At the end of the day, MySQL is compatible with most of the platforms.

The solution has been very easy to scale so far.

The installation process is very easy.

What needs improvement?

The backup methods need improvement. MySQL needs to improve its backup methods so that you can actually do a backup without affecting products. Currently, when you're doing your backup, it locks the database. When someone tries to access it during a backup, it fails to read or to update. They can improve on the backup and all the backup features in general.

I've been using the solution for more than five years at this point. It may be as much as seven years or so.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable in terms of performance.

The solution is very scalable. If you want to install it in the machine and scale that machine, you can do so. Or you add more machine nodes whereby you are actually clustering items and you're clustering your database within one site. The solution will actually extend these needs to another site for replication, DR replication.

We have about 20 people using the solution currently.

We do plan to continue to use the solution in the future.

All of our support is internal. We haven't subscribed to outside technical support.

That said, we haven't had any issues with the solution that would require support assistance either.

The initial setup is not complex at all. It is very easy to install as most of the Linux comes embedded so that even if you're under a different administrator, you should be able to just click and install.

Installation doesn't take more than 10 minutes for me. It might take up to 30 minutes or an hour for someone who is new. However, for someone who is used to MySQL, doesn't take more than 10 minutes to set up.

For deployment and maintenance, basically, we would need about three engineers. The one that actually does the hardware infrastructure, the one that does the operating system, and then the one that actually does the MySQL, which is the database administrator.

I handled the implementation myself. I did not need the assistance of integrators or consultants.

The solution is absolutely free to use. It's one of the reasons we've chosen it.

We do evaluate other solutions. We also use other products, such as Oracle's SQL server.

When a trace comes for MySQL, we will check mostly the cost of installation and the cost for maintaining everything. We are choosing MySQL over the others that are actually licensed solutions mostly due to the fact that MySQL is free.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with MySQL.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

I would rate it at a seven out of ten overall.

Learn what your peers think about MySQL. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JM
CCO at a construction company with 11-50 employees
Easy to use with a straightforward setup but requires better replication

• "The solution is very simple. It's easy to use. That's the most important feature."
  • "The replication needs improvement. It's becoming a native cloud product like Oracle DB or Cockroach DB."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the many small applications we use. However, we do not use it with our enterprise-level applications.

What is most valuable?

We do have it supported by various programs we run with it.

What needs improvement?

We started using MySQL in various products about 10 years ago when it was still an independent community product.

The solution has proven to be quite stable. We haven't experienced any bugs or glitches.

According to our experience, it's not really an enterprise tool that you can easily expand and scale the way you can with, for example, Oracle. It's good for small to medium-sized applications. It is not ideal for very big applications.

We have a data center that uses the application and it isn't very heavy on traffic. It basically runs on its own. We only use it occasionally. It's like a co-operation management system.

We do plan to increase usage, but we plan on looking at different databases. We're in the process of researching how scaling up would work. Chances are, we'll need to move to a different platform.

We've never been in touch with technical support. For us, so far, things have been working perfectly so there hasn't been a need to.

This is the first solution we've used. We don't use any other product. It's very popular with the in-house program, as we advised them to stick with this application.

We've used the solution for ten years and the setup hasn't changed much over time. It is, more or less, simple when you compare it to other databases.

Deployment takes less than an hour.

It only takes one person to maintain the solution. The individual doesn't have to be an engineer. They just need to be a support person.

We don't need a consultant for the implementation. This is used by someone in our company that uses databases and has an average knowledge of the product. We don't even need a vendor. We can handle setup ourselves at this point. It's not like Oracle or other products that can be quite complicated.

We use the community edition of the solution.

We didn't evaluate anything before choosing this solution. However, there are a few new products coming up that are growing in popularity and we will need to research them. Products like the Cockroach DB, Nuo DB, etc. are on our radar to be evaluated in the future.

What other advice do I have?

The most important thing other potential users need to do is to look at the use cases for this application and to evaluate how it's able to handle heavy loads, etc. Users should evaluate how it handles high-traffic. They'll need to ask themselves: is the solution usable for my applications?

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

CN
Principal Software Engineer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Free, stable, and full-featured

• "It is free, which is probably its most valuable feature. It is a pretty full-featured relational database. It really does everything we need it to do."
  • "The availability of tools could be improved in the MySQL open-source platform. They can provide more analytical tools. I haven't had any particularly difficult issues to troubleshoot on MySQL, but in the past, on Microsoft SQL Server, I had to troubleshoot some difficult issues, and better tools were in place to see what was going on in real-time on the server. So, that's the bit that is lacking on the MySQL open-source platform."

What is our primary use case?

We're on a software development team. We develop applications.

We're currently running version 5.7 of MySQL, and we are going to be upgrading to version 8 this year.

MySQL server currently is in a co-location center. We've got a hosting provider that takes care of that for us. We are looking at moving it into AWS, but that won't happen this year. We do have a smaller MySQL RDS instance in AWS right now, but it is pretty minimal.

What is most valuable?

It is free, which is probably its most valuable feature. It is a pretty full-featured relational database. It really does everything we need it to do.

What needs improvement?

The availability of tools could be improved in the MySQL open-source platform. They can provide more analytical tools. I haven't had any particularly difficult issues to troubleshoot on MySQL, but in the past, on Microsoft SQL Server, I had to troubleshoot some difficult issues, and better tools were in place to see what was going on in real-time on the server. So, that's the bit that is lacking on the MySQL open-source platform.

I have been using MySQL for seven years in my current company, and I have probably used it for another two or three years in a previous company.

It is very stable.

I haven't dealt with them.

We're using the open-source version right now, which is free. I do see some value in some of the more enterprise functions. We're using the open-source version right now, and I was interested in the MySQL Enterprise version really for the tools that they provide, but we decided not to make the purchase.

What other advice do I have?

There are certain things that it doesn't do as well as SQL Server. There are certain things that you can do to swamp the server, such as it is just not very responsive to more complicated joins and things like that. Unfortunately, you have to try to learn what those things are, but there are certain things like correlated sub-queries and more complicated approaches that it doesn't support, and you can hang the server in doing that. So, even though it has standardized the SQL queries and other things, there are some things that it doesn't perform particularly well, such as more complicated joined scenarios. We join several tables at a time, but we tend to do that on well-known indices, primary keys, and things like that, but if you're doing something more sophisticated than that, it becomes more challenging. These things that I've mentioned are written up by people, and once you learn those things, you develop techniques to work around them. You take different approaches to solve the problem for those things. You have to do that anyway as a developer. You don't just write code and throw it out there on a production server. You certainly need a totally separate test environment and all that.

I would rate MySQL an eight out of 10.

Ertugrul Akbas
Manager at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Easy to use, fast, and developer-friendly, but it should have better support for big data

• "MySQL is a popular database platform for businesses because it is extremely easy to use."
  • "When it comes to supporting big data, there is space to improve upon the database engines that are supported by MySQL."

What is our primary use case?

We developed a network monitoring software and used MySQL as a backend database.

We utilized the two most common and popular MySQL database engines, MyISAM and InnoDB.

We store collected monitoring data and configuration data on MySQL. Also, our network monitoring solution reporting module is based on the MySQL MyISAM database engine.

We use both Windows and Linux versions of MySQL, and we utilize the backup and recovery features.

To summarize, our primary use case is the embedded DB component for our network management software.

How has it helped my organization?

MySQL is a popular database platform for businesses because it is extremely easy to use. It is commonly used in combination with PHP and Java. For instance, someone with little to no knowledge of MySQL can easily establish a database connection and start programming immediately.

So MySQL improved our developing process speed. MySQL is a very popular and well-known database solution, so it is easy to find a MySQL developer.

MySQL performance also improved our NMS solution performance.

What is most valuable?

MySQL is a fast, easy-to-use RDBMS being used for many small and big businesses.

MySQL advantages and valuable points include:

• MySQL is a very powerful program in its own right. It handles a large subset of the functionality of the most expensive and powerful database packages.
  • MySQL uses a standard form of the well-known SQL data language.
  • MySQL works on many operating systems and with many languages including PHP, PERL, C, C++, Java, etc.
  • MySQL works very quickly and works well, even with large datasets.
  • MySQL is very friendly to PHP and Java at the same time. Both PHP and Java are our development languages.

What needs improvement?

The two most common and popular MySQL database engines are MyISAM and InnoDB. Database engines provide the underlying functionality for MySQL to work with and process data. MyISAM is the default engine for MySQL for versions earlier than 5.5.5 and functions well in most scenarios.

However, depending on your needs, there are situations where another database engine, such as InnoDB, may be the better choice. For example, InnoDB supports transactions, whereas MyISAM does not. InnoDB also provides support for foreign keys, whereas MyISAM does not.

When it comes to supporting big data, there is space to improve upon the database engines that are supported by MySQL. An example of this is the Vertica DB engine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...), and offering support for it would be valuable.

We have been using MySQL for more than ten years.

Previously, we used MSSQL and switched to MySQL because of performance issues.

After installation, the maintanence is easy for an end-user.

MySQL is released under an open-source license, so you have nothing to pay to use it.

Grégory Tabourin
Infrastructure Platform Engineer at a cloud provider with 51-200 employees
Free to use, stable and scalable

• "The solution is free to use, which is its most valuable aspect."
  • "From a user perspective, the initial setup could be simplified a bit."

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT services provider, so the solution is for our customers. I can't answer for the customers in terms of how they use it.

Typically, customers are running applications that need to connect MySQL and to store some of the data.

What is most valuable?

The solution is free to use, which is its most valuable aspect.

The interface is quite good.

The stability and scalability are very good.

Overall, it's an excellent solution. We don't have to implement anything else.

What needs improvement?

We haven't noticed and features that are lacking.

From a user perspective, the initial setup could be simplified a bit.

I've been using the solution since 2000. It's been about 20 years now since I first was introduced to MySQL.

The stability is good. Neither we or our clients have had to deal with bugs, glitches or crashes. Everyone's been satisfied with it. Stability is one of its best features.

The scalability of the solution is good. We haven't had trouble scaling at all.

We're using the community version of the solution. I don't have any complaint with the level of support, however, it is online and there isn't a support line.

The initial setup isn't always straightforward. Sometimes it is complex. For example, if you are doing a database expansion. For database expansion, you have to configure it and you have to know SQL quite well. You have to juggle a few things, which makes it complicated. However, from an IT perspective, it's a good tool, so it's worth the effort.

The solution doesn't cost anything to use. It's absolutely free.

What other advice do I have?

We are IT services provider, and provide this solution to our customers. It's typically installed on a dedicated server.

When we are working with it, we are doing SQL queries, and on top of that, we are using MySQL to do some reporting as well. It does what we want it to do and our clients are also happy with the results they get. It's a fine solution.

I'd advise those considering working with the solution to be patient.

We don't have any partnership MySQL. We are mostly a Microsoft partner. We mainly use the solution because of the community and the SQL server that's different from Oracle's server. From time to time we have to use MySQL.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. From our perspective, it's free to use, it's stable and it's fast and scalable. It makes it a good option for many organizations.

AR
Vice President & Head of IT Governance at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good performance, but requires better scalability and more reliable stability

• "The solution is great for small applications in particular."
  • "As an open-source product, there isn't really any technical support available if you get into trouble or have issues."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product for small applications.

What is most valuable?

The solution is great for small applications in particular.

The performance is good.

The solution originally was designed as an open-source product. It has a community edition that anyone can use for free.

The initial setup is simple and straightforward.

What needs improvement?

I have doubts about its overall stability. It's something that they should look at.

There isn't much scalability potential in the product.

I've been using the solution for a very long time. It's been years at this point.

The stability could be better. It's not as stable as I would prefer it to be.

It was originally designed as freeware, as an open-source project, and the community wrote the solution. However, they've made it worse over time.

That said, the performance is pretty good.

The solution is not that scalable. It's not something you should pick if you need something to expand significantly.

While I can't speak to how many people use the solution in our company, I can say that it is used by several departments and divisions.

The solution is open-source and managed by a community. Therefore, there is no technical support available to users.

The initial setup is very easy and quite straightforward. It's not overly difficult or complex.

That said, I was not a part of the original setup and therefore cannot speak to how long the deployment took my team.

We didn't need any assistance from integrators or consultants. The setup was handled in-house.

The solution is open-source and free to use. We have the community edition. We don't have to pay to use it right now.

What other advice do I have?

Right now, Oracle has taken over the business of MySQL. Now, it's standard that you have to pay money for the license. That's why we are shifting all our databases, the small, small databases, from MySQL to Oracle. We do have extra data, so we do require a license.

Currently, we are using the previous version of the solution. I can't speak to the exact version number, however.

I'd rate the solution at a five out of ten.

I wouldn't recommend it to other organizations at this time.

DO
Business Intelligence Manager at a translation and localization position with 501-1,000 employees
Enables us to query and analyze data types and data structures within the database itself but the UI should be improved

• "The initial setup was pretty straightforward. I would have worked with our IT team in terms of the initial setup."
  • "I find the Microsoft solution a bit better. But mostly in terms of the UI layout, I would say. I just find it a little bit more efficient."

What is our primary use case?

I'm not involved from the database side as much. I primarily use it for reviewing the data structure as the architecture before I build a data model in our BI tools.

General querying is pretty much what I do, and also analyzing data types and data structures within the database itself. I review the data structure within them. And I use that to build the data model, which we have in our reporting environment. That's primarily all I use it for.

What needs improvement?

What it would compare it to, from my point of view would be, Microsoft SQL Studio. I find the Microsoft solution a bit better. But mostly in terms of the UI layout, I would say. I just find it a little bit more efficient. But to be honest, I can work equally as well with both.

I've been working with MySQL for two and a half years.

We haven't experienced any issues with scalability.

I haven't directly contacted their technical support.

I haven't gotten feedback from the IT team.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. I would have worked with our IT team in terms of the initial setup. In terms of connecting to the database and to the data sources, it is pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate MySQL a seven out of ten.

To make it a perfect ten, they should improve the UI. It's got quite a narrow range, and there's a lot more obvious to the database side than what I deal with. The UI is not quite as sharp I would say as the Microsoft solution. In some cases, I find that there are better shortcuts available in Microsoft solutions.

If I was choosing, I would probably lean towards Microsoft. That may be just a purely personal preference. My use of MySQL has primarily been from a data integration point of view, a data architecture point of view, and reviewing the database itself, and the data structure, data types. In my role, I don't define data and I don't build the database, I'm purely on the interrogation and the analytics side. I probably would find the Microsoft solution slightly better. But MySQL does absolutely provide what I require from that point of view. So I would recommend it, yes.

Private Cloud
Download our free MySQL Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.