Ariful Mondal
Consulting Practice Partner - Data, Analytics & Artificial Intelligence at Wipro Ltd
ExpertModerator
Open-source, good documentation, and the multiplatform support includes Linux, Windows and Mac

• "It's a good tool, a good database platform."
  • "It could be more secure."

What is our primary use case?

I used MySQL for academic purposes. I use it for learning purposes.

You can start anything with MySQL.

You can build your own app, and store your data.

It's a free solution for development purposes.

What is most valuable?

It's a good tool, a good database platform. Everything you can do, you can do for free.

I like that it's open-source and that it's free.

What needs improvement?

Typically security will be on a security layer. I haven't really looked into the security of it, but it should be good.

It could be more secure.

I have been using MySQL for 16 or 17 years.

It's a stable solution.

We have trained hundreds of users.

I will continue to use this solution for learning purposes.

We have not contacted technical support.

You can download it and start using it.

It's very easy to install. It's a one-click Windows installation.

You can install and configure everything in a half-hour to one hour.

There is a lot of documentation available.

The maintenance can be done by anyone who has installed and used it.

I have never used the enterprise level of MySQL.

I use the open-source free community version.

I am sure that the Enterprise version of MySQL is cheaper than Microsoft SQL Server, or IBM and Oracle.

It's cheaper than other tools.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone who wants to learn SQL, MySQL is free on Linux, Windows, or Mac Operating Systems.

MySQL can be deployed anywhere on the cloud or on a PC.

I would rate MySQL an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
GO
CEO at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Offers valuable security features and has good connectors and backup features

• "Apart from the features that are in the enterprise part, we find the database to be valuable. The connectors and the backup features are valuable as well. We use the basic database. We don't really use the extra features. Our clients like the security features in the database."
  • "Oracle should start putting in some of the enterprise features in the standard feature. There are some key features that should be part of the standard."

What is our primary use case?

The main reason that customers pick MySQL is that it's cost-efficient.

What is most valuable?

features in the database.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see more security.

I have been using MySQL for three years.

My customers haven't mentioned having any problems with stability.

Scalability is good enough.

I haven't contacted Oracle in regards to MySQL but I have contacted Oracle support for other things. They're okay but from my end, the problem is that they're not proactive. From one to five, I would rate them a four.

There's a lot of documentation on the Oracle support portal even though you must be contracted customer. There is also a lot of support information on the community portals and google search in general. This is the reason we picked MySQL from the rest.

The initial setup isn't so complex. You have to get a lot of support from the
community. From my end, it's not so complex. You should consult with the
community.

What other advice do I have?

My experience has been open-source. Oracle should start putting in some of the enterprise features in the standard version. There are some key features that should be part of the standard. Things like replication should be part of the standard version as opposed to it being in the enterprise version.

I would rate them an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about MySQL. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IR
Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Has a lot of documentation and bug fixing is better in the latest version

What is our primary use case?

It is deployed on local servers, and we are using version 8. The whole company uses our database. Our users don't communicate with the database directly. They use a web interface. All programs are deployed using MySQL. We have hundreds of thousands of users accessing MySQL via the website. Two of us manage the database, but it's enough for only one person to manage daily operations.

How has it helped my organization?

As we are using the latest version of the database, it has many functions that have improved it. There are many new features in this version, and it is more powerful in what it can achieve.

What is most valuable?

MySQL has a lot of documentation, and bug fixing is better in the latest version.

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

We have been using MySQL for about 20 years.

It is very stable.

MySQL is scalable. We didn't scale it via the database tools provided but on the program side. However, it is easy to scale it using the functions provided with the product.

The support is fast and helps to find faster fixes to existing bugs. They recently advised us to downgrade to fix one particular bug, which resolved the problem we were having.We only use technical support for bug fixes, and the calls are usually closed quickly.

I was able to install it myself in about half an hour.

MySQL is free.

We have also used PhpStorm and DataGrip.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that others use MySQL. I would rate it 10 out of 10.

PK
Freelance Software Engineer + Director of a company at a outsourcing company with 1-10 employees
Easy to install, easy to handle, and suitable for a limited amount of data

• "My main reason for using MySQL for this small customer database company and for some kinds of scientific projects was that I had to do the installation myself. I didn't have a database administration team behind me. Therefore, I was looking for something very easy to handle. MySQL is easy to install, connect, and do all such things."
  • "Its scalability can be better. It is probably not as scalable as Oracle. I had some issues with connectors. I used it from a C++ program, and it required some work to make it run, but finally, it worked."

What is our primary use case?

I used it for a small customer database company in England with 20 employees. They didn't have that much data, and we needed something easy to install and easy to run. This was my use case for it.

What is most valuable?

My main reason for using MySQL for this small customer database company and for some kinds of scientific projects was that I had to do the installation myself. I didn't have a database administration team behind me. Therefore, I was looking for something very easy to handle. MySQL is easy to install, connect, and do all such things.

What needs improvement?

Its scalability can be better. It is probably not as scalable as Oracle.

I have been using this solution for two or three years.

I used it for a small customer database company in England with 20 employees. There were only two people using it. It was really a small solution. For this purpose, it was perfect, but I'm not sure how it scales. It was just not an issue in this case because we had very little data.

Their technical support is fine.

It is easy to install. It takes just a few hours.

What other advice do I have?

I will probably keep on using this solution. If you have a limited amount of data you want to store in the database, and you don't want to spend a lot of time on administration, it is certainly fine.

I would rate MySQL a ten out of ten. It was perfect for our use case.

Hector Cuna
Sysad Database Administrator Lead at USSC
A stable solution with a community version, but the enterprise manager license should cover more virtual machines

• "It has a community version. When I have to create a new database, I have no problems with licenses."
  • "It can have better monitoring. In addition, the enterprise manager should be able to cater to more than one virtual machine. Currently, you need one license per server. It seems a bit too much to get one license for one enterprise manager. I hope the enterprise manager for MySQL can accommodate more virtual machines for MySQL."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for financial transactions such as money remittance.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It can have better monitoring. In addition, the enterprise manager should be able to cater to more than one virtual machine. Currently, you need one license per server. It seems a bit too much to get one license for one enterprise manager. I hope the enterprise manager for MySQL can accommodate more virtual machines for MySQL.

I have been using this solution for a decade.

It is stable.

We have categorized the amount of data we have as big data, although we haven't really been using it much.

We have 2,000 people in our company, and we have over 100 virtual machines installed with MySQL.

Because we are using the community version, we haven't had the chance to contact the technical support of MySQL.

It is easy for us. After a few trials or installing it a few times, we have benchmarked and created best practices for installing it.

It has a community version.

What other advice do I have?

If you are not into command-line usage, I don't think MySQL is for you. I found MySQL easier to use by using the command line rather than by using the workbench. The workbench is comparatively slow, especially when exporting.

I would rate MySQL a seven out of ten.

VR
SVP Technology and Head of India at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
A stable and effective data store, but technical support should be available worldwide

What is our primary use case?

We are an asset management product company. Our product is deployed on the cloud and the backend database for it is MySQL.

What needs improvement?

The technical support should be more knowledgeable and available worldwide.

We have been using MySQL for the past five to six years.

So far, it has been pretty stable and I haven't had any problems. We plan to continue using it in the future.

MySQL is very scalable, so I don't expect any challenges.

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

The technical support should be more knowledgeable and available worldwide.

We have been using MySQL for the past five to six years.

MySQL is very scalable, so I don't expect any challenges.

We have a contract with a third-party for support. So far, it has been working fine for us and I don't see any challenges. That said, having worldwide support is something that would be an improvement.

Prior to MySQL, we did not use another database for this purpose. We built our core product directly on top of MySQL.

The initial setup seemed pretty decent, so I don't see any challenge in that regard.

Our in-house DBA team installed it. We have one DBA and one junior.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I recommend it to others.

We use it as a data store and from that perspective, we get everything we need. We don't have any complaints about features such as analytics, reports, or dashboards.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Team Leader Presales / Solution Architect - Platform at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
It's reliable and simple to set up, but it could be more scalable.

What is our primary use case?

We use MySQL to store data for our customers, in the database. It is a service-related application. Also to configure the data.

What is most valuable?

The fact that it is free is what appeals to me the most.

What needs improvement?

Scalability could be improved.

We use MySQL, which is a component of Oracle but operates as a separate database. We have been using MySQL for more than ten years. We are not using the most recent version, but rather one that has been tested with our applications. We don't always use the latest version.

MySQL is a stable product.

It is very scalable. There are…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The fact that it is free is what appeals to me the most.

What needs improvement?

Scalability could be improved.

We have been using MySQL for more than ten years.

We don't always use the latest version.

MySQL is a stable product.

It is very scalable. There are third-party solutions to assist with scaling but that may cost money, or it is available in the Commercial edition of MySQL.

We are primarily interested in Red Hat technology. As a result, we have primarily worked with Red Hat products.

This virtualization is built into Red Hat Hyperconverged Infrastructure.

We use both Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and Red Hat Hyperconverged Infrastructure.

The installation is straightforward.

We are using the free community edition of MySQL.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely, I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate MySQL a seven out of ten.

Karel Van Der Walt
Data Architect at ACPAS Loan Management Software
Easy to use, easy to deploy, and stable with useful table partitioning feature

• "Table partitioning is most valuable. It is easy to use."
  • "I am looking for the Temporal SQL feature, which basically means that there is complete history for each table. This feature is currently available in MariaDB. PostgreSQL has something called a foreign-data wrapper, which is another way to access external data from inside. MySQL could have a similar feature."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for RADIUS protocol, which is for network access. We are tracking the duration of user stations.

What is most valuable?

Table partitioning is most valuable. It is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I am looking for the Temporal SQL feature, which basically means that there is complete history for each table. This feature is currently available in MariaDB.

PostgreSQL has something called a foreign-data wrapper, which is another way to access external data from inside. MySQL could have a similar feature.

I have been using this solution intermittently for six months.

It is stable.

It is scalable. We currently have six users.

I don't have any experience with their technical support.

Its initial setup was straightforward. It took 10 minutes.

I did it myself. We have two people for its deployment and maintenance.

I am not paying, but I am not sure about the exact licensing requirements.

It is always compared with PostgreSQL and Microsoft SQL Server.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I plan to keep using it.

I would rate MySQL an eight out of ten.

Download our free MySQL Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.