PK
Freelance Software Engineer + Director of a company at a outsourcing company with 1-10 employees
Easy to install, easy to handle, and suitable for a limited amount of data

• "My main reason for using MySQL for this small customer database company and for some kinds of scientific projects was that I had to do the installation myself. I didn't have a database administration team behind me. Therefore, I was looking for something very easy to handle. MySQL is easy to install, connect, and do all such things."
  • "Its scalability can be better. It is probably not as scalable as Oracle. I had some issues with connectors. I used it from a C++ program, and it required some work to make it run, but finally, it worked."

What is our primary use case?

I used it for a small customer database company in England with 20 employees. They didn't have that much data, and we needed something easy to install and easy to run. This was my use case for it.

What is most valuable?

My main reason for using MySQL for this small customer database company and for some kinds of scientific projects was that I had to do the installation myself. I didn't have a database administration team behind me. Therefore, I was looking for something very easy to handle. MySQL is easy to install, connect, and do all such things.

What needs improvement?

Its scalability can be better. It is probably not as scalable as Oracle.

I have been using this solution for two or three years.

I used it for a small customer database company in England with 20 employees. There were only two people using it. It was really a small solution. For this purpose, it was perfect, but I'm not sure how it scales. It was just not an issue in this case because we had very little data.

Their technical support is fine.

It is easy to install. It takes just a few hours.

What other advice do I have?

I will probably keep on using this solution. If you have a limited amount of data you want to store in the database, and you don't want to spend a lot of time on administration, it is certainly fine.

I would rate MySQL a ten out of ten. It was perfect for our use case.

Hector Cuna
Sysad Database Administrator Lead at USSC
A stable solution with a community version, but the enterprise manager license should cover more virtual machines

• "It has a community version. When I have to create a new database, I have no problems with licenses."
  • "It can have better monitoring. In addition, the enterprise manager should be able to cater to more than one virtual machine. Currently, you need one license per server. It seems a bit too much to get one license for one enterprise manager. I hope the enterprise manager for MySQL can accommodate more virtual machines for MySQL."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for financial transactions such as money remittance.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It can have better monitoring. In addition, the enterprise manager should be able to cater to more than one virtual machine. Currently, you need one license per server. It seems a bit too much to get one license for one enterprise manager. I hope the enterprise manager for MySQL can accommodate more virtual machines for MySQL.

I have been using this solution for a decade.

It is stable.

We have categorized the amount of data we have as big data, although we haven't really been using it much.

We have 2,000 people in our company, and we have over 100 virtual machines installed with MySQL.

Because we are using the community version, we haven't had the chance to contact the technical support of MySQL.

It is easy for us. After a few trials or installing it a few times, we have benchmarked and created best practices for installing it.

It has a community version.

What other advice do I have?

If you are not into command-line usage, I don't think MySQL is for you. I found MySQL easier to use by using the command line rather than by using the workbench. The workbench is comparatively slow, especially when exporting.

I would rate MySQL a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about MySQL. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
VR
SVP Technology and Head of India at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
A stable and effective data store, but technical support should be available worldwide

What is our primary use case?

We are an asset management product company. Our product is deployed on the cloud and the backend database for it is MySQL.

What needs improvement?

The technical support should be more knowledgeable and available worldwide.

We have been using MySQL for the past five to six years.

So far, it has been pretty stable and I haven't had any problems. We plan to continue using it in the future.

MySQL is very scalable, so I don't expect any challenges.

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

The technical support should be more knowledgeable and available worldwide.

We have been using MySQL for the past five to six years.

MySQL is very scalable, so I don't expect any challenges.

We have a contract with a third-party for support. So far, it has been working fine for us and I don't see any challenges. That said, having worldwide support is something that would be an improvement.

Prior to MySQL, we did not use another database for this purpose. We built our core product directly on top of MySQL.

The initial setup seemed pretty decent, so I don't see any challenge in that regard.

Our in-house DBA team installed it. We have one DBA and one junior.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I recommend it to others.

We use it as a data store and from that perspective, we get everything we need. We don't have any complaints about features such as analytics, reports, or dashboards.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Karel Van Der Walt
Data Architect at ACPAS Loan Management Software
Easy to use, easy to deploy, and stable with useful table partitioning feature

• "Table partitioning is most valuable. It is easy to use."
  • "I am looking for the Temporal SQL feature, which basically means that there is complete history for each table. This feature is currently available in MariaDB. PostgreSQL has something called a foreign-data wrapper, which is another way to access external data from inside. MySQL could have a similar feature."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for RADIUS protocol, which is for network access. We are tracking the duration of user stations.

What is most valuable?

Table partitioning is most valuable. It is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I am looking for the Temporal SQL feature, which basically means that there is complete history for each table. This feature is currently available in MariaDB.

PostgreSQL has something called a foreign-data wrapper, which is another way to access external data from inside. MySQL could have a similar feature.

I have been using this solution intermittently for six months.

It is stable.

It is scalable. We currently have six users.

I don't have any experience with their technical support.

Its initial setup was straightforward. It took 10 minutes.

I did it myself. We have two people for its deployment and maintenance.

I am not paying, but I am not sure about the exact licensing requirements.

It is always compared with PostgreSQL and Microsoft SQL Server.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I plan to keep using it.

I would rate MySQL an eight out of ten.

CM
Project Business Analyst RPA at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
An open-source relational database management system with a useful search feature

• "What I really like about MySQL is the opportunity to search for information and organize it any way I like."
  • "It should provide better customer experiences."

What is our primary use case?

We use MySQL to organize data, analyze information, and make decisions for the company. We also use it to process information from different areas in the company.

What is most valuable?

What I really like about MySQL is the opportunity to search for information and organize it any way I like. If you know the queries and you add the code, you can organize information any way you like.

What needs improvement?

MySQL needs to be more accessible and user-friendly. The person working with it needs to be trained in MySQL to have the necessary skills to control the database and analyze data. It should provide better customer experiences.

I have been using MySQL for one year.

The initial setup depends on your knowledge. If you know the principles, except when it comes to queries, it's easy. But if you don't know anything about MySQL or SQL, you can't do it. It took us about six months to set up and deploy MySQL.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that people in production have to be trained to use MySQL. They should take some courses, and get certificated. This will show them how to use the principal tools and provide some context about how MySQL works.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give MySQL an eight.

Private Cloud
MR
Senior Database Administrator Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up but the stability needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We only support the backend and only carry it as a database. You can do what you want on the database to create the schema and to manage the rest of the organization.

What needs improvement?

Errors that come from MySQL need to be more clear. In Oracle, for example, you have the aura and you have numbers, you can easily find the error. MySQL should follow the same as in Oracle. Stability needs improvement and the backup needs to be enhanced.

We have been using MySQL for years. We are using the latest version. Normally we do upgrades and we follow the upgrade path.

It could be more stable.

We have…

What needs improvement?

Stability needs improvement and the backup needs to be enhanced.

We have been using MySQL for years.

It could be more stable.

We have 15 customers, but I am not sure of the number of users we have.

I have not dealt with technical support.

It was easy to install. It only took ten minutes.

We have a huge database team as we are supporting many regions.

We implemented this solution ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We plan to continue using this product. It's good, and I can recommend it to others.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
DM
IT at a construction company with 201-500 employees
Reliable, easy to use and install, and good community support but the documentation could be better

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for billing, accounting, and data analysis.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use.

What needs improvement?

The manuals or documentation could be better.

I have been using MySQL for ten years. We are using version 8.

We do not have any issues with the stability of MySQL.

For our needs, it's sufficient. We have 10 users in our organization.

It has more than enough support available for our needs. There is plenty of support from the community. We rely on the forums and other channels for help.…

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for billing, accounting, and data analysis.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use.

What needs improvement?

The manuals or documentation could be better.

I have been using MySQL for ten years.

We are using version 8.

We do not have any issues with the stability of MySQL.

For our needs, it's sufficient.

We have 10 users in our organization.

We rely on the forums and other channels for help. It's pretty good at the moment.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The installation can take approximately an hour.

You need to be aware of databases to make use of it. You need a moderate level of competence.

We use the community edition.

There is no cost involved, no licensing fees.

We did not evaluate other products.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product for new startups.

I would rate MySQL a seven out of ten.

SA
Project Manager at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
An easy to install and stable solution, but could be more secure

What is our primary use case?

I do not recall which version I am using.  Although we do not use it for the main core system, the solution acts as a database which is useful for login applications, data warehousing.

What is most valuable?

The solution is so stable. I have encountered no problems.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more secure.

I have been using MySQL for a year.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is not scalable at present.

I do not have experience with technical support.

Which solution did I use previously and why did I

What is our primary use case?

I do not recall which version I am using.

What is most valuable?

The solution is so stable. I have encountered no problems.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more secure.

I have been using MySQL for a year.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is not scalable at present.

I do not have experience with technical support.

Previously, we used Microsoft database.

The solution is easy to install.

I cannot state how long implementation took.

The solution does not come with a licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

I do not know the number of users who are using the solution in my organization.

I would absolutely recommend this solution to others.

I rate MySQL as a seven out of ten.

Download our free MySQL Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.