MySQL Overview

MySQL is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Open Source Databases. It is most often compared to Firebird SQL: MySQL vs Firebird SQL

What is MySQL?

Until its recent acquisition by Oracle, MySQL was possibly the most renowned open source database enterprise package that could be accessed completely for free. With the merger, the server increased both its features and its price tag, but there is still a free version available to the general community to contribute ideas and suggestions.

MySQL is a fast and relatively inexpensive database management system. It can easily integrate with a wide variety of programming languages, and it is considered to be a very reliable option. One of the most prominent features that customers seem to enjoy is the easy scalability of this system.

MySQL Buyer's Guide

Download the MySQL Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

MySQL Customers

Facebook, Tumblr, Scholastic, MTV Networks, Wikipedia, Verizon Wireless, Sage Group, Glassfish Open Message Queue, and RightNow Technologies.

MySQL Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Partner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Has the ability to run on any operating system

What is our primary use case?

We utilize the DB as a data-repository solution for our front-end applications. The solution gives us the ability to run numerous instances on various geographical cloud servers.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest running tests against MySQL, MariaDB, Oracle, PostgreSQL, and MS SQL to determine which one best suits your needs (cost, development, and integration should all play in your decision-making process).
Co-Founder at Mero Reading Room
It has a remote access feature to manage the database from a remote location

What is our primary use case?

I used it to obtain insight into the entire network and the resources being utilized. The current GUI lets us see the traffic happening east to west and the total bandwidth consumed by it.

• "It creates a unified view of the entire architecture and performance factor, helping to manage the network more easily."
  • "It has a remote access feature to manage the database from a remote location. This enables in-work collaboration."
  • "The only service which could be improved is its usability. The entire user experience needs to be revamped to meet the 2018 design standards."

What other advice do I have?

The overall service is great.
Learn what your peers think about MySQL. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
510,534 professionals have used our research since 2012.
User at Micro Focus
I use the tool for various purposes but sometimes the functionality is limited and I need to use other tools instead

What is our primary use case?

I use MySQL for employee service in an OLTP database.

What is most valuable?

I use MySQL for various purposes. Sometimes I have used MyISAM as a storage engine rather than InnoDB.

What needs improvement?

When working with a cluster wide, I have to use the MySQL cluster version.

The 5.7 version has very better performance improvement over the previous version.
QA Lead at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allows us to share virtually created database instances

What is our primary use case?

I'm a tester, an optimization tester. It's basically when the developers have the back-end in SQL. We go and test it out for them and check that the table updated correctly, and we do something on the front-end.

• "I feel that some tools which make it easier to create queries or make it easier for other functions would be really interesting to see."

What other advice do I have?

No one tool fits the bill for every company. Do a feasibility study, and get to know what is can do before going in and developing.
    IT Manager
    Performance, stability, and free version are key for us

How has it helped my organization?

Web portal database.

What is most valuable?

Free usage Performance Community

What needs improvement?

Scaling.

More than five years.

There have been some problems with big table operations.

Some problems with big table operations, and a struggle to keep the servers responding in peak situations.

I don't have enough information about it, as I normally look for community support.

Straightforward, and and easy to run.

Can range from free to quite…
    Information Technology Technician at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    Since it has many integrations to web applications, it is very easy to install and deploy

What is our primary use case?

We use MySQL and MariaDB for most part of our mission critical applications This as it is so simple to integrate with web applications, and other well known applications.
    Co-Founder/CEO at Grigale LTD
    Reseller
    Dramatically improved use for several of my customers, better ROI for me

How has it helped my organization?

It dramatically improved use for several of my customers.

What is most valuable?

This depends on my customers' use.

What needs improvement?

SQL and NoSQL use.

More than five years.

When configured correctly, no stability issues.

When configured correctly, no scalability issues.

Very good.

MySQL Support Services by Percona. I switched to Oracle MySQL services because of a better ROI.

There is no obvious answer. It depends.

What's my experience

Senior Web Manager at a university with 501-1,000 employees
    Support for enterprise-grade features like clustering, Sharding, in an open-source solution

• "Support for enterprise-grade features like clustering, master-slave replication, even Sharding (to some extent) which is an advanced feature."
    • "It would be helpful if there were a graphical user interface to administer, configure, and tune it."
    • "If it had something similar to Microsoft’s DTS engine then it would be the best database system out there."

What other advice do I have?

As long as your application supports it well, and you are familiar with the scaling options and its limitations, you can’t go very wrong with MySQL, as it is a very mature product by now. If you are fairly competent with servers and databases you could start off without subscribing to Enterprise Support, and may be able to get by quite well. If things get more complicated, or scalability starts to become a problem, then you may consider paying for help.
    Director at RC Ghosh Group of Companies
    ​We use it for enterprise data storage as well as part of the back-end of websites and web applications

• "​The most valuable feature of MySQL is the informative error outputs of command line interface.​"
    • "​We use MySQL for enterprise data storage as well as part of the back-end of websites and web applications.​"
    • "Setup is easy. MySQL of various flavours has community editions to easily test, deploy, and run.​"
    • "​MySQL needs improvements on its diagnostic features.​"
    • "​MySQL is not easily scalable on cost effective consumer grade hardware.​"

What other advice do I have?

One should ensure the availability of proper hardware before any optimization attempt from the software level.
    Head of Business Technology at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    A large amount of software modules and plugins for rapid application development are possible. However, it does not stand out regarding scalability.

What is our primary use case?

Small to medium-sized business usage. The main advantage is the very large user base. This enables users to fix about any issue by answering any question. From a technical viewpoint, MySQL is on par with the other open source database solutions.

• "A lot of the software components have been trialed and tested for often more than 10 years."
    • "The main advantage is the very large user base. This enables users to fix about any issue by answering any question."
    • "It does not stand out regarding scalability. When the company size increases, the user base having actual experience with (very) large MySQL solutions is reduced."
    ERP System Analyst at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    MySQL? Sure, but what is the best config and how to optimize for best performance?
    We could write books about MySQL and every book could have a different focus: setup, optimization, backup, etc. So, this review will be about sharing some of the experiences that I have had. So, MySQL is probably the most used RDBMS for web applications. The server is really easy to install, literally a straightforward installation. It is very fast and stable and at the same time not resource hungry compared to some other RDBMS products. For smaller projects, you will not even need to do any "after install" tweaks or configurations, just install and you are ready to go. Nevertheless, for some more demanding projects, you will need to investigate and optimize your setup to fit the requirements. What is the best configuration for a MySQL server? There is no single best configuration.…
    Software Architect at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    Offers a simple DBMS solution with a very low hardware footprint. Only one of the engines supports ACID transaction control.

What is our primary use case?

Primary DBMS solution for web apps developed on either ASP.NET MVC or Zend / PHP for customers. The community version of MySQL only offers simple backup and restore tools, but it is OK for many web dev projects for customers that want a low budget solution.

What other advice do I have?

Most small and medium enterprises require many non-critical solutions. They clearly they do not have large budgets for these kinds of solutions, so it makes a lot of sense to consider MySQL as a good option for this kind of development. The advice is to make sure that it works for your company and for your customers.
    Senior Application Programmer/Analyst, Team Lead at a university with 10,001+ employees
    Its strength is in the fast connection, query and insert performance. The weakest link is replication.

What is our primary use case?

Used as a data store for RESTful web services and other web applications. Was deployed to store RSS feeds, and for 100 joomla instances.

What other advice do I have?

The porting code to or from MySQL is not that complicated, but the date type/format and functions are the biggest hurdles. Handling booleans data type is less efficient than the BIT type in the SQL Server.
    Open Source Database Consultant
    A high level of support due to a lot of documentation and expertise in the world

What other advice do I have?

You will have a lot of work, but you will also avoid a lot of issues due to product immaturity on the database market.
    MySQL DBA
    Helps to achieve stability. Needs to improve the system so it won't lose data.

What other advice do I have?

You just need to identify why and what are the requirements. Also, you need to listen to news feeds regarding the features you are getting into and the features you will to use from it. Take the time to identify and understand.
    Data Scientist / Consultant with 501-1,000 employees
    You can build data models both on-premises and on the cloud

What is most valuable?

Open Source (It’s free) One can easily find help on the web

How has it helped my organization?

You can easily build data models both on-premise and on the cloud.

What needs improvement?

The work bench has some bugs that are mostly GUI related.

I have used this solution for three years.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I use the community version. There are ample “Open Source” resources on the Internet.

We used Microsoft SQL…
    IT Consultant, Business Owner, Lecturer at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
    It offers all the features of a RDBMS system, including monitoring tools, backup and recovery, high availability and easy migration from other databases.​

What other advice do I have?

For us, MySQL is the choice for all of our projects. It is simply to use, supported by all content management systems and, of course, Open Source. We haven’t had any major issues, and since we have now developed MySQL technical skills and custom libraries, there is no reason to move on with a different RDBMS, unless circumstances change.
    Software Development Manager at a tech services company
    It's good and affordable​

What is most valuable?

It is free and bundled with cPanel.

How has it helped my organization?

Cost effective.

What needs improvement?

Not at the moment in my current work environment.

Two years, began when I started at my current workplace.

So far, so good due to limited clients at the moment.

So far, so good due to limited clients at the moment.

There is no technical support since it is a CE.

Straightforward.

Powerbuilder Consultant at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Relational databse that can be used with PHP, Python, and Java.

What other advice do I have?

This is a relational database tool for small to medium sized applications. However, this didn't start as a Relational DB, so if you want a truly Relational Database for an Enterprise, similar to Oracle, you may want to look into PostgreSQL, as well. However, MySQL is still a very good database for internet based applications.
    Systems Administrator at Nubity Inc. at a tech services company
    Think about the size of the database

What is most valuable?

Easy: Installation Customization Use

How has it helped my organization?

Data is: More ordered Reliable Available in time and form

What needs improvement?

Scalability: In large databases, they become slow.

12 years.

Yes. In large databases, response times are high.

10 out of 10.

We used this solution, but changed for another because the database was very large.

Configuration was easy and with much support material.

Which other solutions did

Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    ​It’s been used as the main databases for a lot of the developments we have done
    CEO at a computer software company with 1-10 employees
    We can now have many standalone databases where every developer can perform local tests
    Web Developer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    The most valuable feature is its graphical interface which allows us to do the database administration

What other advice do I have?

I believe that it is the ideal solution for a variety of projects with a small learning curve compared to other solutions. It allows you to be efficient quickly.
    Director of Information Technology at a tech services company
    Several unexplained crashes caused dissatisfaction from users

What other advice do I have?

Not choosing an open source software for this kind of solution. Now, we are looking at ServiceNow Express.
    Member of Technical Staff at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    Allows us to maintain very large tables without jumping through the hoops.

What is most valuable?

Simple syntax and simple administration are the most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to maintain very large tables without jumping through the hoops that are required by the commercial products such as Oracle.

What needs improvement?

Multi-master replication could be a bit more reliable.

Counting the earlier versions, we are using this solution for over ten years.

Compared to the other database solutions, there were no stability issues as such.

Sharding is relatively straightforward.

We run the Community version, so…
    SENIOR DEVELOPER at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    During the billing process, if one server fails then we switch to the other transparently.
    Senior Production Support Engineer at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    Simple to use with excellent performance

What other advice do I have?

Using MySQL could be an excellent option for you.
    Software Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    Improved our internal procedures by providing high performance, ease of use and cost savings

What other advice do I have?

It can benefit any business by a straightforward way of implementing and using it.
    IT Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Online backup can be implemented by activating a temporary storage and introducing Percona innobackupex

What is most valuable?

This product is valuable because it is used in production environments. Online backup can be implemented by activating a temporary storage similar to the Oracle's flash recovery area and introducing Percona innobackupex. This is possible from version 5.6.

How has it helped my organization?

It permits services such as data warehouse and retail.

What needs improvement?

The online backup needs to improve.

I have used this solution for 15 years.

We did encounter stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

Not applicable because we don't purchase…
    Academic application support at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Owing to its speed and stability, we use it as the data store for most of our web applications

What other advice do I have?

Ensure you know what you want to use it for and make sure it is the right fit for the job. Do not allow developers to tell you what your DB should look like, as that is the best way to performance problems. Use the MySQL Workbench and MySQL Monitor.
    Intern at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It is used for many projects and easy to access. Needs to get more solid for my company to rely on it.

What other advice do I have?

MySQL is a good choice for startups and beginners.
    DevOps SRE at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    ACID attributes are the most valuable feature. It does not understand the clustered model.

What other advice do I have?

Do your research and make sure for your use case that MySQL is the best choice, before making any commitments.
    Telecommunications Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Offers SQL Merge, Replication, and Views. I would like to see additional side management tools and IDEs.

What other advice do I have?

Go with the Linux version. It is more stable and manages the system resources better.
    DevOps Lead Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    It is open source and AWS provides a managed solution. I would like it to catch up with proprietary technologies.

What other advice do I have?

Until you have expertise in data migrations and what you are doing with data, MySQL can be really easy and dangerous at the same time. MySQL doesn't give you a warning about data truncation if data types don't fully match. Be really careful on that front.
    CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    SQL capability, functions and ease of optimization.

What is most valuable?

SQL capability, functions and ease of optimization.

What needs improvement?

Software and web development.

15 years.

No issues.

No issues.

Manageable.

Customer Service: Used open source and never needed customer service. The product is quite mature. Technical Support: NA

Straightforward.

In-house.

Good.

The open source product is…
    Database Administrator at a recruiting/HR firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It is easy to understand the inner picture of the database from the EER model.

What other advice do I have?

This product is good as it is a graphical interface. It's easy to do all MySQL database administration very easily. You just need to play around to be more familiar with it. The MySQL Workbench interface is well prepared to design a database including EER diagram, create table, and view very easily. The EER diagram allows the user to completely understand the database design, which is very important and useful for the people who are involved with the database. It’s easy to understand the inner picture of the database from the EER model.
    Senior Staff Engineer at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
    It provides a low-cost, high-availability solution without complex active/standby management using Linux HA. It should provide detailed debugging with transaction IDs at the application level.

What other advice do I have?

Ensure that it meets your scaling needs, and has features for handling parallelism in the application.
    IT Director at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
    We chose to run JD Edwards on it because of the availability of resources for it in our region.

What other advice do I have?

Choose your database based upon your ability to be able to hire people and support the product, like supporting JD Edwards with a MySQL database. Not everyone can work one database with JD Edwards as well as they can another one. So just make sure you've got the compatibility and skill-set.
    Project Manager at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
    Top ReviewerTop 20
    Highly recommended open source database for small/medium sized organizations
    Pros:-  1) MySQL is an open source database under the GNU General Public License, that means developers can use it at no cost as long as the associated projects are also open source.  2) MySQL is ideally suited for small/medium sized organizations for faster performance.  3) MySQL can be used in client/Server architecture as well as it can also be embedded in standalone applications.  4) MySQL is fast, east to use, highly extensible, lightweight, scalable, and reliable database.  5) MySQL supports clustering in the network for redundancy.  6) MySQL provides flexibility to modify environment variables/kernel settings to limit the amount of memory usage for increasing performance.  7) MySQL is strongly recommended for web applications, middleware and LAMP…
    Software Tester & SQA at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
    The InnoDB database allows us to store and execute procedures and roll-backs.

What other advice do I have?

It helped me within my projects. For a free product, it works very well and it's easy to use and configure. Don't try the most sophisticated products, that have big names, and cost a ton. Just try this product if you need something cheap and reliable. I don't think it will disappoint, at least not in my case.
    Junior Technician Intern at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    The privileges and command line features are the most valuable to me. But, you do need to have experience with SQL to use it.

What is most valuable?

Privileges Command line

How has it helped my organization?

I don't have any as this was my first time using it.

What needs improvement?

I think it is where it needs to be. MySql PaaS. But, you do need to have experience with SQL to use it.

I've used it for 12 months.

There were no issues deploying it.

It has been perfectly stable for us.

We've been able to scale it without issue.

Customer Service: 4/10 Technical Support: 7/10

MS…
    Expert Advisor at a mining and metals company with 51-200 employees
    This database enabled us to web present our content in a cost efficient way.

What is most valuable?

At this time, pricing and footprint.

How has it helped my organization?

This database enabled us to web present our content in a cost efficient way.

What needs improvement?

I am not up to date on this issue.

At the time pricing and footprint.

This was the IT consultant's task to solve.

No issues encountered.

Not really, as our DB was small. With time, we got version issues, as our DB engine was so old and not updated.

Customer Service: I've never used it. Technical Support: I've never used…
    Software Developer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    It tends to perform better on Linux and other UNIX-like systems, but it needs support for foreign keys.

What other advice do I have?

From my perspective, MySQL is a product that allows you to be efficient, but the decision goes down to the situation and what you're looking to accomplish.
    Constructor of the computer systems at a security firm with 51-200 employees
    I had no problems deploying it but the MyISAM tables need to be more reliable.

What is most valuable?

Reliability Security Flexibility Functionality Availability - controllability anywhere and with different methods

What needs improvement?

MyISAM tables could be more reliable.

I've been using the Workbench Server for six years.

I have had no problems deploying it.

I have no stability problems.

I currently do not need to scale on my network.

Customer Service: I only have the free version, which does not have customer service. Technical Support: I only have the free version, which does not have…
    Jr. Production Engineer at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
    In addition to InnoDB, it also supports full text search, optimizer, performance schema improvements and GTID.
    Service Operations Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    Its ability to scale horizontally and transactional functionality features have been valuable to us, but the configuration templates could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

If you have the in-house knowledge MySQL can be a great product. If you do not I would recommend using MSSQL instead. Take a look at the environment you plan to implement including the application and traffic model.
    Engineer with 51-200 employees
    It provides a low cost and effective SQL DB solution for smaller companies. Replication does need improvement though.

What other advice do I have?

MySQL is a great RDBMS, but make sure it will integrate with all of the clients you will be using and the rest of your infrastructure. The problems usually have more to do with other products supporting MySQL than MySQL itself.
    Database Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    A fast and reliable database management system

What other advice do I have?

MySQL is an open source database management system and is used by most of the most famous networking sites. It is more popular in websites and PHP integration. It can be executed under a number of operating systems like Linux, UNIX, Mac OS and Windows. MySQL supports ODBC interface which allows MySQL to be addressed by all the usual programming languages that run under Microsoft Windows.
    Head of Data Center at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    MySQL is undoubtedly one of the best open-source database products available. It's fast, easy to use and very reliable.

What other advice do I have?

Just be ready though to work at the command line should you wish to use MySQL in its free form. It may not be the most intuitive user interfaces available, but it also makes MySQL a simple yet very reliable database for most people's needs.
    Developer at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    MySQL is the most popular Open Source Data Base Management System, developed and supported by Oracle Corporation.

What other advice do I have?

And if some one is looking for Database which performs simple processes like storing and displaying data only, then MySQL is the right choice.
    Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    MySQL is a database system that is most used, fast, more reliable, cheaper, and better than any other database system.
    Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    One of the best Databases on the market today.

What other advice do I have?

I use MySQL on a regular basis, specifically whenever I am managing or installing a Wordpress instance. Combined with PHPMyAdmin, MySQL is an excellent database solution for small to medium sized businesses or installations. I would recommend using a better supported database like Oracle or MSSQL for mission critical tasks on an enterprise level, but MySQL is completely capable of performing the same tasks as those other databases.
    Developer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    Most Powerful Open Source Database

What other advice do I have?

As a developer I have used many database engines but MySQL is by far the best known and most popular Open Source database engine.
    Senior Manager of Data Center at a integrator with 51-200 employees
    One of the best open source database for web developers and application enthusiasts

What other advice do I have?

MySQL is indeed the world's most popular open source database. It has been designed on the hyper threading infrastructure and supports multi-threaded architecture for using multiple CPU's. It works on index compression with B-Tree disk tables popularly known as MyISAM. Its efficiency depends on the implementation of SQL functions with optimization of library classes.
    Download our free MySQL Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Quick Links