MySQL OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

MySQL is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Open Source Databases. It is most often compared to Firebird SQL: MySQL vs Firebird SQL

What is MySQL?

Until its recent acquisition by Oracle, MySQL was possibly the most renowned open source database enterprise package that could be accessed completely for free. With the merger, the server increased both its features and its price tag, but there is still a free version available to the general community to contribute ideas and suggestions.

MySQL is a fast and relatively inexpensive database management system. It can easily integrate with a wide variety of programming languages, and it is considered to be a very reliable option. One of the most prominent features that customers seem to enjoy is the easy scalability of this system.

MySQL Buyer's Guide

Download the MySQL Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

MySQL Customers

Facebook, Tumblr, Scholastic, MTV Networks, Wikipedia, Verizon Wireless, Sage Group, Glassfish Open Message Queue, and RightNow Technologies.

MySQL Video

Archived MySQL Reviews (more than two years old)

Partner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Has the ability to run on any operating system

What is our primary use case?

We utilize the DB as a data-repository solution for our front-end applications. The solution gives us the ability to run numerous instances on various geographical cloud servers.

How has it helped my organization?

Yes, MySQL has improved numerous processes; it has given us the ability to create applications without absorbing major costs.

What is most valuable?

• Its ease of use
  • It's secure.
  • It's fast.
  • It has high-end processing.
  • It can distribute across clouds.
  • It has the ability to run on any operating system.

What needs improvement?

• I think a better front end would be a better solution (web application front end, similar to what Red Hat is doing to Fedora).
  • Another nice solution for MySQL clustering would be the use of Webmin.
  • Also, security measures could always be improved, and the clustering process could be enhanced as well. I recommend using UFW, iptables, and firewalld.

The solution works extremely well. It is easy to install and works on any platform. The price is good because we utilize various versions of the software/DB.

If the user sets up DB up using MySQL Cluster (creates a grid type of design), then we find the solution from a hardware perspective using NVMe, NVMe-oF, 10GE network connections, and 32-100GB of DDR4 memory (dependent upon customer requirements).

Scalability can be initiated using high-speed connections across IPv6 connections (IPSec AES-256 ESP/AH VPN connections without purchasing VPN concentrators — this can be done at the network layer).

We use various versions, but most of the time this is based on the client's requirements.

After the initial training, the installation worked pretty well. I would suggest setting it up in a lab. This gives the user room to test the installation and configuration process. It is recommended to use PhpMySQLadmin — (https://www.phpmyadmin.net) — after the installation process is completed.

It was implemented in-house. Most of the applications are tested in our cloud and on-premise servers.

60% ROI (There are DLs — direct labor costs and overhead costs, but once it is set up, we image the configuration and deploy our designs in docker).

I would suggest testing MariaDB before jumping in. This will give the user the ability to test the DB before using it. It is very easy to set up. MariaDB is free, and licensing is based on GNU.

N/A.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest running tests against MySQL, MariaDB, Oracle, PostgreSQL, and MS SQL to determine which one best suits your needs (cost, development, and integration should all play in your decision-making process).

Manzeel Uprety
Co-Founder at Mero Reading Room
It has a remote access feature to manage the database from a remote location

• "It creates a unified view of the entire architecture and performance factor, helping to manage the network more easily."
  • "It has a remote access feature to manage the database from a remote location. This enables in-work collaboration."
  • "The only service which could be improved is its usability. The entire user experience needs to be revamped to meet the 2018 design standards."

What is our primary use case?

I used it to obtain insight into the entire network and the resources being utilized. The current GUI lets us see the traffic happening east to west and the total bandwidth consumed by it.

How has it helped my organization?

• It provides visibility, where something was either broken or in pieces only.
  • It creates a unified view of the entire architecture and performance factor, helping to manage the network more easily.
  • It has a remote access feature to manage the database from a remote location. This enables in-work collaboration.

What is most valuable?

I have found the following features valuable:

• NetFlow of the whole system
  • Information flow and scaling
  • Communication between multiple collaborators and stakeholders
  • Its user-friendly features.

Less than one year.

What other advice do I have?

The overall service is great.

Learn what your peers think about MySQL. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user793887
User at Micro Focus
I use the tool for various purposes but sometimes the functionality is limited and I need to use other tools instead

What is our primary use case?

I use MySQL for employee service in an OLTP database.

What is most valuable?

I use MySQL for various purposes. Sometimes I have used MyISAM as a storage engine rather than InnoDB.

What needs improvement?

When working with a cluster wide, I have to use the MySQL cluster version.

The 5.7 version has very better performance improvement over the previous version.

What is our primary use case?

I use MySQL for employee service in an OLTP database.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

When working with a cluster wide, I have to use the MySQL cluster version.

QA Lead at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allows us to share virtually created database instances

• "I feel that some tools which make it easier to create queries or make it easier for other functions would be really interesting to see."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a tester, an optimization tester. It's basically when the developers have the back-end in SQL. We go and test it out for them and check that the table updated correctly, and we do something on the front-end.

How has it helped my organization?

To give you an example, initially we didn't have a database server as such, and we had to make use of some database. Now we use something where we can share the instances of the database which were created virtually, which is a very good feature, which I felt has improved our organization.

What is most valuable?

The most important features would be querying, the query language where you have the data definition or data modification language, as well. In some cases, we have to create our own tables for testing purposes. In that case, having SQL Server is much easier compared to what's available.

More than five years.

Pretty much since we have our own in-house SQL branch, the administrators are there, so they take care of the stability with the product. As far as I've seen, there really hasn't been much of an issue with stability.

It's pretty scalable.

I haven't contacted them, so I have no experience with them. We generally have an internal team which would work on it. So our point of contact is an internal team, rather than going to MySQL.

I've used a lot of different solutions. MySQL is one of the top among them. Usability and scalability are some of the reasons we went with MySQL.

It was pretty straightforward. No hassles with the setup.

Usually the setup is done by the IT admin guys, but it was pretty straightforward. The IT admin guys had to come in and give us the rights to install it.

I'm not sure about pricing, I don't deal with the pricing. It's an organization decision.

There were many options.

What other advice do I have?

No one tool fits the bill for every company. Do a feasibility study, and get to know what is can do before going in and developing.

IT Manager
    Performance, stability, and free version are key for us

How has it helped my organization?

Web portal database.

What is most valuable?

Free usage Performance Community

What needs improvement?

Scaling.

More than five years.

There have been some problems with big table operations.

Some problems with big table operations, and a struggle to keep the servers responding in peak situations.

I don't have enough information about it, as I normally look for community support.

Straightforward, and and easy to run.

Can range from free to quite…

How has it helped my organization?

Web portal database.

What is most valuable?

• Free usage
    • Performance
    • Community

What needs improvement?

Scaling.

More than five years.

There have been some problems with big table operations.

Straightforward, and and easy to run.

Can range from free to quite expensive, depending on the environments and requirements, so better to really set goals ahead of setting it up.

SQL Server, Oracle XE, MariaDB.

What other advice do I have?

It is a stable, reliable, and powerful solution that is quite suited for small to medium organizations and/or projects.

Information Technology Technician at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees

What is our primary use case?

We use MySQL and MariaDB for most part of our mission critical applications

This as it is so simple to integrate with web applications, and other well known applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Since it has many integrations to web applications, it is very easy to install and deploy open source web applications.

What is most valuable?

How it uses clustering.

The API's to PHP, ruby, perl, java, python, and many more high level programming languages makes it easy for us to deploy new features fast.

What needs improvement?

How to scale out with shard clusters.

The way how to handle replications needs to be improved, as we noticed that there are some performance drop of (using only one core for example)

No issues.

Yes, the binary log replication process in a cluster environment has issues processing data as fast as it arrives.

A 10 out of 10.

A 10 out of 10.

We have been using many different types of databases, and will most likely use this one for part of our systems, as it is has so much integration.

The initial setup was easy.

We implemented it in-house.

Free.

Be sure to take backups of the solution, as this will check that the blocks are okay.

We decided to use "DB Protection for MySQL" as it has options to perform block level incremental forever, and integrates well with Spectrum Protect.

Yes, we checked MongoDB, PostgreSQL and MariaDB.

Haim Tzadok
    Co-Founder/CEO at Grigale LTD
    Reseller
    Dramatically improved use for several of my customers, better ROI for me

How has it helped my organization?

It dramatically improved use for several of my customers.

What is most valuable?

This depends on my customers' use.

What needs improvement?

SQL and NoSQL use.

More than five years.

When configured correctly, no stability issues.

When configured correctly, no scalability issues.

Very good.

MySQL Support Services by Percona. I switched to Oracle MySQL services because of a better ROI.

There is no obvious answer. It depends.

What's my experience

How has it helped my organization?

It dramatically improved use for several of my customers.

What is most valuable?

This depends on my customers' use.

What needs improvement?

SQL and NoSQL use.

More than five years.

When configured correctly, no stability issues.

When configured correctly, no scalability issues.

Very good.

There is no obvious answer. It depends.

Depends on the customer's needs.

MariaDB, MySQL Support Services by Percona.

What other advice do I have?

Stick with the source, stick with Oracle MySQL as the leading vendor for MySQL technology.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Oracle Gold Partner and MySQL top reseller in Israel.
    Muhammad Nurazhan Moin
    Senior Web Manager at a university with 501-1,000 employees
    Support for enterprise-grade features like clustering, Sharding, in an open-source solution

• "Support for enterprise-grade features like clustering, master-slave replication, even Sharding (to some extent) which is an advanced feature."
    • "It would be helpful if there were a graphical user interface to administer, configure, and tune it."
    • "If it had something similar to Microsoft’s DTS engine then it would be the best database system out there."

How has it helped my organization?

Due to the open source licensing model, it has allowed small businesses like ours to adopt enterprise-grade database systems without incurring significant licensing costs.

What is most valuable?

• Open-source
    • Multi-platform
    • Lightweight
    • Simple to set up, configure and tune
    • Support for enterprise-grade features like clustering, master-slave replication, even Sharding (to some extent) which is an advanced feature

More than five years.

For the scale at which my systems are operating, the software is stable. We are at most dealing with less than 10 million rows of data across all tables, and concurrent connections under 200 at our peak loads.

No scalability issues at the scale at which my systems are operating. One thing I did encounter with an earlier version of MySQL 5 – the mysql process will not automatically use available CPU cores on the server, even if it was a dual or quad core CPU. I was troubleshooting a scalability issue when I saw this, it maxed out just a single core and left the other three (in my quad core CPU server) idle. There was a specific condition / trigger that will make the mysql process span the other available cores (I can’t recall now but a quick googling likely will uncover this).

We did not subscribe to professional support from MySQL AB or Oracle. However, the wealth of community support is outstanding. Most of the issues faced could be resolved by knowledge shared by the MySQL community.

I’ve used SQL Server and Oracle for database systems. SQL Server is an excellent solution, in particular the DTS (Data Transformation System) which is not available for MySQL. Switching to MySQL for two reasons: 1) licensing costs 2) the application supports MySQL primarily, and has poor support for SQL Server.

Very easy to set up, relatively easy to configure, tune, and use the conf file, as long as you are comfortable mucking around in Linux conf text files and working from the command line (I am).

You could use the installer which would be the easiest way, but setting up by hand is not too difficult either – instructions can be found online and following them step by step usually works fine.

MySQL Enterprise Support is not cheap, though might still be cheaper than Oracle or SQL Server. They may not have local support depending on where you’re based, but there are many smaller agencies out there that will readily provide support. You’ll need to spend some time looking around.

I’d been using other database systems like Microsoft’s SQL Server and Oracle Database before trying out MySQL. There are forks of MySQL maintained outside of Oracle, like MariaDB and Aurora (by Amazon Web Services). I have not really tried them but I don’t expect very big differences; in fact, for most use cases you may not observe any difference. There would be the few unique features in MariaDB and Aurora that are not present in the original MySQL feature set (I know there are but don’t remember the specifics).

What other advice do I have?

As long as your application supports it well, and you are familiar with the scaling options and its limitations, you can’t go very wrong with MySQL, as it is a very mature product by now. If you are fairly competent with servers and databases you could start off without subscribing to Enterprise Support, and may be able to get by quite well. If things get more complicated, or scalability starts to become a problem, then you may consider paying for help.

Director at RC Ghosh Group of Companies
    ​We use it for enterprise data storage as well as part of the back-end of websites and web applications

• "​The most valuable feature of MySQL is the informative error outputs of command line interface.​"
    • "​We use MySQL for enterprise data storage as well as part of the back-end of websites and web applications.​"
    • "Setup is easy. MySQL of various flavours has community editions to easily test, deploy, and run.​"
    • "​MySQL needs improvements on its diagnostic features.​"
    • "​MySQL is not easily scalable on cost effective consumer grade hardware.​"

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

MySQL needs improvements on its diagnostic features.

No issues.

MySQL is not easily scalable on cost effective consumer grade hardware.

I would rate technical support as a 10 out of 10.

Not applicable. No previous solution.

Enterprise editions and support are definitely needed for the heavy users who need direct support.

What other advice do I have?

One should ensure the availability of proper hardware before any optimization attempt from the software level.

Head of Business Technology at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    A large amount of software modules and plugins for rapid application development are possible. However, it does not stand out regarding scalability.

• "A lot of the software components have been trialed and tested for often more than 10 years."
    • "The main advantage is the very large user base. This enables users to fix about any issue by answering any question."
    • "It does not stand out regarding scalability. When the company size increases, the user base having actual experience with (very) large MySQL solutions is reduced."

What is our primary use case?

Small to medium-sized business usage. The main advantage is the very large user base. This enables users to fix about any issue by answering any question. From a technical viewpoint, MySQL is on par with the other open source database solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

Due to the large user base, a large amount of software modules and plugins for rapid application development are possible. From an operational viewpoint, this is also a very big advantage.

What is most valuable?

The large user base and the amount of available plugins and modules. A lot of the software components have been trialed and tested for often more than 10 years. It is rock solid from that viewpoint.

What needs improvement?

It does not stand out regarding scalability. When the company size increases, the user base having actual experience with (very) large MySQL solutions is reduced.

No, it is rock solid.

Yes, other solutions have better features and better performance.

Not applicable.

The initial setup is very easy with very good online support.

Implementation was done in-house.

Not applicable.

When you know the setup will continue to grow, make sure you have the paid support.

MariaDB/Galera.

ERP System Analyst at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    MySQL? Sure, but what is the best config and how to optimize for best performance?
    We could write books about MySQL and every book could have a different focus: setup, optimization, backup, etc. So, this review will be about sharing some of the experiences that I have had. So, MySQL is probably the most used RDBMS for web applications. The server is really easy to install, literally a straightforward installation. It is very fast and stable and at the same time not resource hungry compared to some other RDBMS products. For smaller projects, you will not even need to do any "after install" tweaks or configurations, just install and you are ready to go. Nevertheless, for some more demanding projects, you will need to investigate and optimize your setup to fit the requirements. What is the best configuration for a MySQL server? There is no single best configuration.…

So, this review will be about sharing some of the experiences that I have had.
    So, MySQL is probably the most used RDBMS for web applications.
    The server is really easy to install, literally a straightforward installation.

What is the best configuration for a MySQL server?
    There is no single best configuration. There are many of them, depending what is MySQL used for. E.g., it is not the same as having it installed in a shared hosting environment or as a dedicated instance to just one application. Having 1000 of users using a few hundred different databases or having 20 users using one database.
    Is it gonna be an OLTP or OLAP, do you focus more on writing or reading? I will not dive into this, as there are many other articles covering this in a much better way than this article.

But, starting by selecting the adequate storage engine MyISAM or InnoDB, defining the maximal number of connections, all the buffer and caching settings, limit on open files, table caching, etc. is always a good approach.

You will need to sit down and write down all the requirements known to you and then aligned to those, start configuring your server.
    A very handy tool to investigate your server's setup and performance is the MySQLTuner.pl script. It can be used as a starting point to investigate your server setup and increase performance.

Sometimes, although your server is configured properly, you might experience a slow performance, especially on a shared hosting server. During my career as a system administrator in a hosting company, we have monitored our MySQL servers and tracked the performance. Often, in such an environment, it might happen that you have a "running away" query, eating up your resources or causing performance issues. In such a case, database optimization is required, rather than server a config. A good example for this is having a well-visited web application with many concurrent users. Often on such an application, there are queries which run more frequently than others.E.g. presenting top 25 products in a web shop by using a query similar to this:

SELECT p.name, c.name
    FROM product p
    LEFT JOIN category c ON ( c.id = p.category_id )
    WHERE p.new_product='1'
    GROUP BY c.name, p.name
    ORDER BY p.name ASC
    LIMIT 25 ;

Such queries will run very fast if the database itself is optimized. But otherwise, they can run really slow and cause high CPU utilization or in worse case a bottleneck and slow down the whole server. You don't need to have millions of records, this can happen even if you have only a few hundreds/thousand records in your database. In such case, you need to identify these "slow queries" (you can log slow queries) and then investigate the database they are referencing. Often it's about missing indexes on columns involved in GROUP BY, ORDER BY or WHERE clause.

Backup? Of course, you already have the backup in place and it's running, at the end we are talking about the database. There is always a backup policy when a database is involved. Many use MySqlBackup command to schedule a "hot backup" of a server. Although it works in 99% of cases, please consider having a mysqldump running in parallel. Why? It might happen that you have a corrupted InnoDB tables and you are backing them up. By the first server reboot, it might lead that you lose data.

When databases are involved, it is always good to have the data backed up in a flat structure if possible, if we are not talking about huge databases and the dump would consume too much time. This gives you the ability to import the data in a new instance, if you face any scenario where you have issues with corrupted storage engine and cannot recover from that.

Software Architect at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    Offers a simple DBMS solution with a very low hardware footprint. Only one of the engines supports ACID transaction control.

What is our primary use case?

Primary DBMS solution for web apps developed on either ASP.NET MVC or Zend / PHP for customers.

The community version of MySQL only offers simple backup and restore tools, but it is OK for many web dev projects for customers that want a low budget solution.

How has it helped my organization?

We do software development for our customers on both Windows and Linux. Since these tools are available for both Windows and Linux, we can leverage the knowledge of these tools for development on both platforms.

What is most valuable?

We design web solutions for customers with PHP (Linux) and ASP.NET MVC (Windows). MySQL offers a simple, no frills, but effective DBMS solution with a very low hardware footprint. Since it has no licensing fees, it offers great TCO for our customers.

What needs improvement?

Only one of the engines, InnoDB, supports ACID transaction control. The best performance engine, MyISAM, has no transactional control support.

It would make a lot of sense to include one engine that offers both very good overall performance and transactional control support.

All versions of MySQL, including the Community Server version include in its design as a Pluggable Storage Engine Architecture.

This architecture allows for the support of multiple options of Storage Engines, so, a software architect can design a sofware solution with MySQL based on a specific Storage Engine that is capable to cater to a particular type of storage use case requirements, like for instance, web applications with heavy read workloads and moderate write workloads, or intranet desktop applications with heavy write workloads.

Depending on the version of Community Server installed is the list of available Storage Engines: All it takes is the execution of the command SHOW ENGINES to retrieve the list of installed Storage Engine plugins.

When you create any given table in MySQL, you have the option to select what Storage Engine (among the engines available) will be applied to said table. If this option is no explicitly mentioned at the end of the "CREATE TABLE" command, the current default storage engine will be assumed.

For web apps with intensive read workloads and moderate write workloads, the engine that offers a good overall performance is the MyISAM engine, but this does not support ACID transaction control, and it uses a table-level locking mechanism (thus, from a performance standpoint, this is not proper for apps with heavy write workloads).

The InnoDB engine uses a record-level locking mechanism, so, it is proper for apps with heavy write workloads. It also supports Isolation Levels, which is important for applications that have many clients doing read and write operations concurrently.

The other storage engines offer support for very specific use cases, like for instance, flat file tables (CSV engine) or memory-only tables (Memory engine).

Getting back to the InnoDB engine, it offers features that are similar to the database engine in SQL Server, and according to some of benchmarks that we have run, SQL Server Express provides overall better performance than MySQL Community Server with InnoDB tables.

My "Room for Improvement" comment is that it would be great if in the future Oracle were to provide with the Community Server edition a version of InnoDB with better overall performance, while still requiring a small hardware footprint.

More than five years.

As with any good DBMS, MySQL requires periodic DBA maintenance. If you leave a MySQL database with no supervision of a DBA for enough time, files become too fragmented and they may turn corrupt beyond rescue.

The version of the product with free licensing does not offer stellar scalability support. We only use these tools for solutions that do not require such a level of scalability.

The version of the product with free licensing only offers community forum support. Because it is a very popular product, there are many free resources on the internet to search for solutions to most issues.

This kind of "free support" is OK, because we do not use these tools for mission critical solutions.

For Windows development of non-critical solutions, we previously used SQL Server Express exclusively. However, now we use either SQL Server Express or MySQL, depending on the customer. We have not switched from SQL Server Express to MySQL.

The admin tools offered by MySQL Workbench are very good. For an experienced DBA, it is rather easy to setup a (MySQL) server for development, testing, pre-production, or production environments.

Implementation was done with in-house team.

With no licensing fees, the business opportunity is great for both the customer and an ISV like my company. This is the case, as long as you use these tools for non-critical solutions.

We did evaluate other solutions, mainly PostGreSQL, which is also a very good product.

We run a benchmark comparison first, then we run a small lab with the development of a small solution with both toolsets (MySQL and PostGreSQL).

In this development comparison, we found that the winner is MySQL. MySQL toolset for development offers much more coverage for both PHP and C# development.

What other advice do I have?

Most small and medium enterprises require many non-critical solutions. They clearly they do not have large budgets for these kinds of solutions, so it makes a lot of sense to consider MySQL as a good option for this kind of development.

The advice is to make sure that it works for your company and for your customers.

Senior Application Programmer/Analyst, Team Lead at a university with 10,001+ employees
    Its strength is in the fast connection, query and insert performance. The weakest link is replication.

What is our primary use case?

Used as a data store for RESTful web services and other web applications. Was deployed to store RSS feeds, and for 100 joomla instances.

How has it helped my organization?

MySQL is widely supported. We were able to integrate it with several different projects using various different programming languages with no issues.

Worked with Java, Perl, PHP, C# and C code.

What is most valuable?

MySQL’s strength is in its fast connection, query and insert performance. I’ve benchmarked MySQL against several NoSQL and SQL databases and found it to be faster for getting lots of data inserted quickly.

What needs improvement?

The weakest link is replication. MySQL’s replication is touchy and doesn’t support master-to-master setups.

MySQL’s replication was implemented by playing back SQL statements getting executed on the master database node. That means if a slave node gets behind, it has to catch up by running every SQL query that has executed on the master. When the slave gets too far out of date, it is unable to catch up because the replication log is lost.

Master to master replication is used to allow writes to either node in the cluster (INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE).  Since MySQL does not support this, you can only safely send SELECT queries to slave nodes.  If you run an insert, update or delete against the slave node, then it is out of sync with the master and may break if a later replication event comes from the master on the same table.

More than five years.

I’ve had an issue where an InnoDB database grew too big and got corrupted. I was unable to recover it because there was not enough space on the server either. Be sure to have enough space.

We did encounter some scalability issues as it has limited clustering support, it requires scaling up rather than out to some degree. Of course, you can have read replicas. It also has a fall-off on performance with very high workloads, but it takes awhile to get there.

MySQL has replaced Microsoft SQL Server in several cases. MySQL is easier to manage and much more cost-effective.

The security model is different than the other databases.

There are tuning and monitoring benefits for people who purchase MySQL rather than using the free version.

Looked at Microsoft SQL Server and PostgreSQL

What other advice do I have?

The porting code to or from MySQL is not that complicated, but the date type/format and functions are the biggest hurdles. Handling booleans data type is less efficient than the BIT type in the SQL Server.

it_user755103
    Open Source Database Consultant
    A high level of support due to a lot of documentation and expertise in the world

What is most valuable?

• Vertical scalabity on hardware
    • Better hardware usage
    • Access performance
    • Addressing consistency, scalability and performance issues

How has it helped my organization?

Storage and searching quickly on data is no longer an issue facing us using Excel.

What needs improvement?

Hardware scalability and parallel treatment can and will be improved in the next few years.

For 15 years now.

No, there are only strategies applied by a data scale interval (less than 200 go, less than 1 to, and more than 15 to).

Always due to architecture, data storage, and data requesting irrelevant strategies.

High. There is a lot of documentation, a lot of expertise, and a lot of projects in the world.

We switched to a different solution because of data access issues, speed, and consistency.

Don't use the license version. Open source is enough.

There are a lot of alternative to paid features. It's very hard to find support for this feature.

What other advice do I have?

You will have a lot of work, but you will also avoid a lot of issues due to product immaturity on the database market.

it_user722220
    MySQL DBA
    Helps to achieve stability. Needs to improve the system so it won't lose data.

What is most valuable?

Usually, we use the application for our team to ensure the data is correct.

How has it helped my organization?

We majorly use the application now. We can use MySQL to read for our select queries. This helps us to achieve stability.

What needs improvement?

In MySQL, you can only have one master. The master's scalability was always a problem.

The cost towards the locking and the patent. What happens, we will be running the MySQL network, and what happens sometimes in some cases, the master go down. Thus, we have to theoretically play the whole thing. The chances are quite high that you are going to lose some important data.

If we can make them implement the system so we are not losing our data, then magically you could say the system would be better.

12 years.

No. Not on the MySQL site.

No. Not so far. I didn't see any problems in its scalability.

We are using the community portal technical support, but when we are reaching them, the support is always awesome.

I can give them a 10 out of 10. The best.

Yeah, we used to cheat off MySQL. But in the end, it was somebody else's design. So, we migrated to MySQL. We just migrated from there to here.

It always depends on the use case. The first case was complex where we ended up rewriting all of the test code better than MySQL.

It always depends on the scenarios of the requirement - what all the current scenarios come from. Are these application teams or is that someone who is just getting the product? If someone majorly bunt because they don't want to use a single point of data, we may end up choosing any other solution.

Usually, we would pick a MySQL because of our DBS, because we know how we can boot up or pick on a use case.

What other advice do I have?

You just need to identify why and what are the requirements. Also, you need to listen to news feeds regarding the features you are getting into and the features you will to use from it. Take the time to identify and understand.

Data Scientist / Consultant with 501-1,000 employees
    You can build data models both on-premises and on the cloud

What is most valuable?

Open Source (It’s free) One can easily find help on the web

How has it helped my organization?

You can easily build data models both on-premise and on the cloud.

What needs improvement?

The work bench has some bugs that are mostly GUI related.

I have used this solution for three years.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I use the community version. There are ample “Open Source” resources on the Internet.

We used Microsoft SQL…

What is most valuable?

• Open Source (It’s free)
    • One can easily find help on the web

How has it helped my organization?

You can easily build data models both on-premise and on the cloud.

What needs improvement?

The work bench has some bugs that are mostly GUI related.

I have used this solution for three years.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

We used Microsoft SQL and Postgres.

IT Consultant, Business Owner, Lecturer at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
    It offers all the features of a RDBMS system, including monitoring tools, backup and recovery, high availability and easy migration from other databases.​

What is most valuable?

MySQL is an Open Source RDBMS, which means you keep your costs low, as long as you don’t need to have support and/or you have your own MySQL expert. However, MySQL also offers the enterprise edition for users that would like support and more advanced features.

When it comes to features, MySQL offers all the features of a RDBMS system, including monitoring tools, backup and recovery, high availability and easy migration from other databases.

How has it helped my organization?

For any web project today you are going to need a database system. If you use any Content Management System, MySQL is most of the times the database of your choice.

MySQL is easy to use, most developers have experience using it and it is an Open Source, cost-effective solution.

What needs improvement?

Although MySQL should cover most of the needs of an average user, there are constrains that need improvement.

For example, MySQL doesn’t support check constraints. MySQL’s performance is not optimal on subqueries and can significantly increase the server load for database intensive applications.

Another issue is the ineffective table manipulation during multiple transactions which result in implicit Commits.

Finally, since MySQL is now part of Oracle, and Oracle already sells their own databases, changes and bug fixes have significantly slowed down for obvious reasons. Oracle cannot improve MySQL too much, since it will then compete with their commercial database systems.

We have been using MySQL either through custom projects or through CMS, for more than 15 years now.

We haven’t encountered any serious stability issues with MySQL.

However, as with all systems, you need to keep your database “tidy”, making sure to optimize it, clean it and avoid corrupt files.

For critical projects, it may be wise to have redundancy by having two servers synced all the time.

Most scalability issues with MySQL can be simply resolved by adding more memory, optimizing settings or moving to a better server.

Of course, if you are talking about 40-50TB of data, or critical applications, then you will probably need to move to a more commercial database, such as Oracle.

We haven’t used the enterprise edition of MySQL, since most of our projects do not require such support levels. Most issues are handled by our developers.

MySQL has been the only solution for all of our web projects.

Setting up MySQL is simple, however, optimizing it requires some experience which is also based on the demands of each customer.

When we started using MySQL, it was more or less the best Open Source RDBMS for web projects. Today, you have multiple options, such as PostgreSQL, SQLite and MariaDB, therefore the choice for a newcomer should be based on their project needs.

What other advice do I have?

For us, MySQL is the choice for all of our projects. It is simply to use, supported by all content management systems and, of course, Open Source.

We haven’t had any major issues, and since we have now developed MySQL technical skills and custom libraries, there is no reason to move on with a different RDBMS, unless circumstances change.

Software Development Manager at a tech services company
    It's good and affordable​

What is most valuable?

It is free and bundled with cPanel.

How has it helped my organization?

Cost effective.

What needs improvement?

Not at the moment in my current work environment.

Two years, began when I started at my current workplace.

So far, so good due to limited clients at the moment.

There is no technical support since it is a CE.

Straightforward.

What is most valuable?

It is free and bundled with cPanel.

How has it helped my organization?

Cost effective.

What needs improvement?

Not at the moment in my current work environment.

Two years, began when I started at my current workplace.

So far, so good due to limited clients at the moment.

There is no technical support since it is a CE.

It's free.

No, because this is bundled with cPanel.

What other advice do I have?

It's good and affordable.

Powerbuilder Consultant at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Relational databse that can be used with PHP, Python, and Java.

What is most valuable?

• Relational database (Although it's not 100% compliant with Standard SQL)
    • Performance
    • Open Source
    • Ease of setup and use
    • Ease of use with PHP, Python, and Java

How has it helped my organization?

Using MySQL helps to keep the costs down. With immense material available on the web, training is easy too.

This is the de facto DB for web development with PHP. If you worked with LAMP environment, this was the M in it (others being Linux, Apache Tomcat and PHP). With open source products, development was a breeze. Overall, this is a boon to small to medium database applications.

What needs improvement?

The simplicity of the product lets people abuse it. I've seen so many people create tables and add indices in PHP code. Some of these web developers only know some things about the database.

I have used this solution for about eight years.

We did not use a different solution for the applications that use MySQL. I mostly use Oracle for larger, enterprise software.

The initial setup was straightforward. There are a number of Open Source tools, including Toad and MySQL Workbench which helps with configuration and use.

This started as Open Source project under Sun. With Oracle acquiring Sun, MySQL is now owned by Oracle (not the community). Oracle promised to keep it open sourced, but the community is not convinced. So, there is a branch that's called Maria DB that's slowly taking over in some Open Source projects.

That being said, it is still an Open Source product and it is free to use under GPL license. This means you can always, get community support. But, if you want Oracle's support, that is not free.

If you use it in enterprise applications, you may have to purchase commercial license from Oracle. Here is a couple of links that discuss various options:

We evaluated MS Access, SQLite, PostgreSQL, FireBird, and Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

This is a relational database tool for small to medium sized applications. However, this didn't start as a Relational DB, so if you want a truly Relational Database for an Enterprise, similar to Oracle, you may want to look into PostgreSQL, as well. However, MySQL is still a very good database for internet based applications.

Systems Administrator at Nubity Inc. at a tech services company
    Think about the size of the database

What is most valuable?

Easy: Installation Customization Use

How has it helped my organization?

Data is: More ordered Reliable Available in time and form

What needs improvement?

Scalability: In large databases, they become slow.

12 years.

Yes. In large databases, response times are high.

10 out of 10.

We used this solution, but changed for another because the database was very large.

Configuration was easy and with much support material.

Which other solutions did

What is most valuable?

Easy:

• Installation
    • Customization
    • Use

How has it helped my organization?

Data is:

• More ordered
    • Reliable
    • Available in time and form

What needs improvement?

Scalability: In large databases, they become slow.

12 years.

Yes. In large databases, response times are high.

10 out of 10.

Configuration was easy and with much support material.

What other advice do I have?

Let them think about the size of the database.

Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    ​It’s been used as the main databases for a lot of the developments we have done

What is most valuable?

• Compatibility
    • Stability
    • Maintenance

These are very important points to keep in mind while deploying consumer facing products, it has to work.

How has it helped my organization?

It’s been used as the main databases for a lot of the developments we have done.

As for special features it offers, I wouldn’t say there’s a key one, but I do appreciate the stability it has.

What needs improvement?

• Real-time
    • Event driven results
    • Geolocation data
    • Non-text storage

Over five years now.

No, I’d say this is the best.

It’s not easy to scale horizontally, don’t think it was ever meant for it. Lacks ease of installation and continuous usage.

Not applicable.

No, in fact, I switched away from it in new developments.

It’s very straightforward, really easy to install. Configuration is easy to understand and to change.

Since Oracle bought MySQL, I’ve seen a slow development. I would recommend the community server if you have to have MySQL, but I wouldn’t license or purchase it.

Antonio Arcucci
    CEO at a computer software company with 1-10 employees
    We can now have many standalone databases where every developer can perform local tests

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the fact that the product is cross-platform, because it reduces server TCO, for my small company. This is very important.

How has it helped my organization?

Without MySQL, we used a single centralized database.

With MySQL, we can now have many standalone databases where every developer can perform local tests.

What needs improvement?

Improvement areas are Security and ORM, for example:

It may be interesting to check the user-level access rights at the row level and a robust support to JSON model object (like NoSQL database).

I've used MySQL for 12 years, since 2005. I chose it after using MS SQL for years. It is more suitable for the projects that we make.

No, never.

Yes, the many index restrictions in case of partitioning the tables.

I do not know yet. I've never used technical support services, only the community

Yes, I first used Microsoft SQL Server, then I went to MySQL because the cost is lower.

The initial setup is straightforward, especially in a Windows environment.

There is no cheap commercial license for standalone applications.

Yes, I have evaluated other database solutions. I have evaluated PostgreSQL and MongoDB.

it_user702249
    Web Developer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    The most valuable feature is its graphical interface which allows us to do the database administration

What is most valuable?

MySQL is strongly recommended for web applications and LAMP architecture systems. The most valuable feature of this product for me is its graphical interface which allows me to do the database administration easily. Another important feature is its reliability, the decent performance, and the fact it is an open source product.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us the opportunity to create backups of our databases easily and loop through them with minimum effort.

What needs improvement?

I think that the stored procedures and the development tools to write and debug large queries could be improved.

I have used MySQL for about 10 years.

There were no issues with stability.

There was no issue with scalability.

We have not used technical support. The community is large enough to find the solution when something comes up.

We used many SQL database solutions like PostgreSQL and SQLite and NoSQL databases like MongoDB. The choice depends on the project.

The initial setup was straightforward.

I think that the Open Source product would cover the needs of most projects. In some cases, the advanced features are needed. They could use the enterprise edition, which is reasonably priced.

We have evaluated and used different products like SQLite. It depends on the requirements and the needs of the project.

What other advice do I have?

I believe that it is the ideal solution for a variety of projects with a small learning curve compared to other solutions. It allows you to be efficient quickly.

Director of Information Technology at a tech services company
    Several unexplained crashes caused dissatisfaction from users

What is most valuable?

Installation, because in a few seconds, the product was up and running.

How has it helped my organization?

It was the first step of the Service Desk.

What needs improvement?

ITIL implementation:

GLPI has a poor ITIL implementation in the sense that not all ITIL processes are implemented, e.g., no Service Catalog is present.

I've used this solution for two years.

Yes, several unexplained crashes caused dissatisfaction from users.

Zero. No support at all. Only forums with no response.

I have not used a solution like this before.

Straightforward.

It was open source and license-free.

Yes, but commercial ones (ManageEngine, EasyVista, Remedyforce).

What other advice do I have?

Not choosing an open source software for this kind of solution. Now, we are looking at ServiceNow Express.

Member of Technical Staff at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    Allows us to maintain very large tables without jumping through the hoops.

What is most valuable?

Simple syntax and simple administration are the most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to maintain very large tables without jumping through the hoops that are required by the commercial products such as Oracle.

What needs improvement?

Multi-master replication could be a bit more reliable.

Counting the earlier versions, we are using this solution for over ten years.

Compared to the other database solutions, there were no stability issues as such.

Sharding is relatively straightforward.

We run the Community version, so…

What is most valuable?

Simple syntax and simple administration are the most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Multi-master replication could be a bit more reliable.

Counting the earlier versions, we are using this solution for over ten years.

Sharding is relatively straightforward.

We run the Community version, so technical support doesn't apply.

We tried Oracle for a while but it was too much of a resource hog.

We looked at Oracle and PostgreSQL.

SENIOR DEVELOPER at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    During the billing process, if one server fails then we switch to the other transparently.

What is most valuable?

The multiple engine replication is the most valuable feature. This neuralgic process for billing needs high availability and that is where we need this robust, but simple solution. If one server fails, we switch to the other transparently.

How has it helped my organization?

It facilitated fast processing of the millions of records for billing of the the call detail records in the Telecom company. The company needed to recover calls, in addition to immediately detecting frauds in the telephone calls so as to block the line and generate large losses. With the help of stored procedures, functions and triggers, we created an engine to recover most of the calls with a single transaction. Thanks to MySQL.

There were no scalability issues.

I would rate the technical support as a five out of 10.

We were using PostgreSQL. The reason why we switched to this solution was that of the easy administration.

The setup was easy.

Senior Production Support Engineer at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    Simple to use with excellent performance

What is most valuable?

MySQL is very flexible, has excellent performance, and it's simple to use.

How has it helped my organization?

Once we needed to use a database to distribute a product for my company and we chose MySQL, it was easy to use and it is very small, but powerful.

What needs improvement?

Maybe the way to build clusters needs to be improved. They could also improve the installation process.

I been using MySQL for nearly seven years.

There were no stability issues.

There were some scalability issues.

I would give the technical support an eight out of 10 rating.

We did upgrade the version with improvements to the product.

The setup was complex in the cluster installation.

MySQL is one of the best database options. The Community version is great.

We used Oracle and SQL Server, but their prices and licensing were so expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Using MySQL could be an excellent option for you.

it_user703740
    Software Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    Improved our internal procedures by providing high performance, ease of use and cost savings

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are:

• MySQL Database Servers

• MySQL Connectors

• MySQL Workbench.

How has it helped my organization?

MySQL has improved our internal procedures by providing high performance, ease of use, and cost savings.

What needs improvement?

Security in the data files needs manipulation.

I have used this solution for five years.

There were no scalability issues.

Technical support is excellent.

The setup was really straightforward.

According to the specific business and technical requirements, you can choose your MySQL Edition that you wish by consulting the official site.

We looked at the Microsoft SQL Server.

What other advice do I have?

It can benefit any business by a straightforward way of implementing and using it.

IT Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Online backup can be implemented by activating a temporary storage and introducing Percona innobackupex

What is most valuable?

This product is valuable because it is used in production environments. Online backup can be implemented by activating a temporary storage similar to the Oracle's flash recovery area and introducing Percona innobackupex. This is possible from version 5.6.

How has it helped my organization?

It permits services such as data warehouse and retail.

What needs improvement?

The online backup needs to improve.

I have used this solution for 15 years.

We did encounter stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

Not applicable because we don't purchase…

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

It permits services such as data warehouse and retail.

What needs improvement?

The online backup needs to improve.

I have used this solution for 15 years.

We did encounter stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

Not applicable because we don't purchase commercial support.

We switched due to cost saving reasons.

The setup was of medium-level complexity due to memory parameters.

What other advice do I have?

Compared to PostgreSQL, it has an online backup feature only with the extension of Percona innobackupex.

Academic application support at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Owing to its speed and stability, we use it as the data store for most of our web applications

What is most valuable?

Speed and stability of the MySQL DB are the most valuable features since we use it as the data store for most of our web applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Before we used MySQL, we used to access the data used for the dynamic web pages directly from our enterprise data stores and that was a massive performance bottleneck. With MySQL, the data can be accessed much faster. This allowed us to create more complicated web systems, such as the corporate message system and a credit card paying system.

What needs improvement?

From where we are, most of the improvements are being handled. With the new improvements that were introduced in MySQL 5.7 and with the testing that we have done to this point, we are looking at updating our web development environment to make better use of the new features.

With the push from MySQL to implement database engines which can provide the same functionality as PostgreSQL and MongoDB, we are looking at application development that leverages this functionality on our current MySQL production database. Seeing that MySQL can provide noSQL document storage the same way MongoDB can and still have a SQL data source next to it creates the possibility of using the best features of both to achieve the desired application result without changing our current infrastructure drastically.

It must be noted that we are still in the process of experimentation to find the best ways of utilizing these data technologies in our current enterprise applications, but not having to move to other database providers to have the functionality means we can experiment without the need to change our base processes. So when I say that the improvements are being handled the MySQL development team have given us access to functionality which we started to look at about two years ago.

I have used this solution for around seven years with upgrades.

There were no stability issues.

We did experience a few scalability issues, but we decided to rather go for a bigger server than creating a cluster and that worked out very well.

The technical support is very good

The setup was very straightforward since the out-of-the-box MySQL's performance is already very good.

We had to do some tweaking over time, but nothing too major.

The enterprise version has a number of extra components that makes it worth the price, but if all you want is a stable DB for web applications, then stick to the open version.

We use enterprise because we use the PAM connector and the DB firewall, if you are looking at the pricing for implementing a separate data firewall, it is more than what you will pay for this solution.

There were not a lot of other options open to us.

What other advice do I have?

Ensure you know what you want to use it for and make sure it is the right fit for the job.

Do not allow developers to tell you what your DB should look like, as that is the best way to performance problems. Use the MySQL Workbench and MySQL Monitor.

Intern at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It is used for many projects and easy to access. Needs to get more solid for my company to rely on it.

What is most valuable?

It is Open Source and easy to access.

How has it helped my organization?

My company does not use MySQL. However, it is often used at universities and is suitable for beginners. It is used for many projects.

What needs improvement?

From the perspective of the company, you can count on reliable Microsoft SQL or Oracle. If MySQL gets solid, it will be a good solution.

I have used this solution for around two to three years.

There were no scalability issues.

There does not seem to be any technical support for MySQL.

I have used MS SQL and Oracle. However, now I have no money and am using MySQL.

Encoding problems were always complicated, but nothing else.

If you have money, it would be better to use Oracle.

I thought about other Open Sources, but I chose MySQL, which I have already used.

What other advice do I have?

MySQL is a good choice for startups and beginners.

DevOps SRE at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    ACID attributes are the most valuable feature. It does not understand the clustered model.

What is most valuable?

ACID attributes are the most valuable feature, as data reliability is a top concern.

How has it helped my organization?

The backend of the production traffic happens at this level.

What needs improvement?

The dynamic scalability, clustering, dynamic replicas safeguard against failures, ease of setup and use all need to be improved.

• MySQL was originally meant for a single server; now with the 5.7 version, they have introduced the multi-master model but it is on the user to ensure that there is no conflict of data. Also, to add/remove a server from the cluster requires downtime and MySQL won't scale load on its own as it has scaled up/down (the load distribution has to be done on a separate layer).
    • MySQL does not understand the clustered model, it is not aware of others in the cluster and won't act as a player in the cluster.
    • Data corruption or two different updates to the same record are not sorted in the replicas and needs manual intervention.
    • The cluster setup is complex and so is its maintenance.
    • It is not equipped to take advantage of the Cloud (AWS, Azure etc) and their pricing models (go as you use).

I have used this solution for two years.

We have seen the corruption of data in replication when used with filters and also, with the growing data response time dwindles.

A lot of manual effort is needed to scale the solution; a lot of room for improvement is there.

The setup was of mid-level complexity.

It is a GPL license, only the support is priced but as there is a good community so buying support is optional.

I wasn't involved as this predates me at the organization, but today if this re-happens MySQL won't be the best choice.

What other advice do I have?

Do your research and make sure for your use case that MySQL is the best choice, before making any commitments.

Telecommunications Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Offers SQL Merge, Replication, and Views. I would like to see additional side management tools and IDEs.

What is most valuable?

• SQL Merge
    • Replication
    • Views
    • Stored Procedures
    • Triggers
    • Cursors

This is just like the enterprise grade Oracle DB. MySQL now supports replication (master-master or master-slave) of our DB to support our company's multiple geo-locations and PoPs.

It supports the original Oracle SQL operations such as Merge, as well as the creation of Views to your tables. This brings additional convenience to our organization.

How has it helped my organization?

The main benefit for us is that it's totally free, unless you need to pay for support.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see additional side management tools and IDEs.

I used this current version for one year. I used previous versions for over ten years.

There were no scalability issues.

We didn't need any technical support. I would guess that Oracle support is top-level.

We did not use a solution prior to this one.

The initial setup was straightforward, user-friendly, and easy. In most cases, if you use the Linux-based versions, it comes as a standard Linux package. You can get it installed by using AptGet, Aptitude, or Yum.

Just pay for any license if you need some enterprise support for your project or any additional support tools that Oracle ships with the enterprise version. During the development stage of your project, you can just use the free community edition.

We evaluated MSSQL, Oracle DB, Informix, and MariaDB.

What other advice do I have?

Go with the Linux version. It is more stable and manages the system resources better.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are partners, developing applications together.
    DevOps Lead Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    It is open source and AWS provides a managed solution. I would like it to catch up with proprietary technologies.

What is most valuable?

It is open source and AWS provides a managed solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Amazon has come up with Aurora, a MySQL hybrid that has helped us get up to speed without actually thinking about MySQL underlying optimizations.

What needs improvement?

Catching up with proprietary technologies like Oracle and PostgreSQL is the challenge right now.

We have used this solution for over four years.

There have been no stability issues yet.

We code for horizontal scaling and hence the only thing that becomes important is the number of connections. The data can be easily replicated in real time on Amazon replicas themselves. We have a dynamic solution to read data from replicas and not from a master instance. That is how we scale.

I would give technical support a rating of 10/10.

We did not use a different solution before.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Keeping something similar to AWS, and as easy as Amazon, will be the best thing for any small business like mine.

I did evaluate other solutions, but MySQL stood out because of its ease of use. Perhaps my prior experience has made me be biased towards MySQL.

What other advice do I have?

Until you have expertise in data migrations and what you are doing with data, MySQL can be really easy and dangerous at the same time. MySQL doesn't give you a warning about data truncation if data types don't fully match. Be really careful on that front.

it_user130032
    CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    SQL capability, functions and ease of optimization.

What is most valuable?

SQL capability, functions and ease of optimization.

What needs improvement?

Software and web development.

15 years.

Manageable.

Customer Service: Used open source and never needed customer service. The product is quite mature. Technical Support: NA

In-house.

Good.

The open source product is…

What is most valuable?

SQL capability, functions and ease of optimization.

What needs improvement?

Software and web development.

15 years.

Manageable.

Used open source and never needed customer service.

The product is quite mature.

NA

In-house.

Good.

The open source product is good. If you want advanced features go for the enterprise edition.

Rehana Parvin
    Database Administrator at a recruiting/HR firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It is easy to understand the inner picture of the database from the EER model.

What is most valuable?

The EER diagram is the most important feature for me as the EER diagram can show the inner picture of the database, such as the relationship between the tables very easily. We can also add, modify or delete EER diagrams very easily.

How has it helped my organization?

The user friendly interface which is easy to interact with such as creating backups, tables, views, and the EER model.

What needs improvement?

It has lot of options to interact with. Sometimes it is hard to find the appropriate options quickly. They need to add descriptions somewhere as to where a user can go to find the proper menu easily when required. Another problem is that since all the databases can be seen and operated together, it’s possible to make mistakes such as dropping the wrong database.

I have used this product for two years.

There was no issue with deployment

There were no issues with stability

There was no issue with scalability

The level of customer service is good. I understand sometimes they need to transfer the service to a knowledgeable person, so we need to have patience and explain the same problem several times.

The level of technical services is good. I understand the product is technical, so sometimes the reported problem requires more investigation.

I used phpMyAdmin. It is also a graphical interface but you have to buy the product while MySQL Workbench is free.

The initial setup is very straightforward. I didn’t face any problem at all.

I did the installation.

What other advice do I have?

This product is good as it is a graphical interface. It's easy to do all MySQL database administration very easily. You just need to play around to be more familiar with it. The MySQL Workbench interface is well prepared to design a database including EER diagram, create table, and view very easily. The EER diagram allows the user to completely understand the database design, which is very important and useful for the people who are involved with the database. It’s easy to understand the inner picture of the database from the EER model.

Senior Staff Engineer at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
    It provides a low-cost, high-availability solution without complex active/standby management using Linux HA. It should provide detailed debugging with transaction IDs at the application level.

Valuable Features

This product’s most valuable feature to me is active-active (multi-master) cluster support for MySQL.

Improvements to My Organization

We have been using the multi-master solution from the Percona cluster. It seems to work as expected.

We use it as an embedded component of a solution we sell. It has provided a low-cost, high-availability solution without complex active/standby management using Linux HA.

Room for Improvement

It should provide detailed debugging with transaction IDs at the application level to understand deadlocks, especially under bursty workloads.

It should also provide partitioned tables and a clustered index, like Oracle, to take advantage of inherent parallelisms in the application domain.

It does not scale well when there are concurrent requests. Making changes to binlog and transaction log settings improves scalability at the cost of reliability.

It has decent support.

Other Solutions Considered

This product’s active-active cluster feature was the reason for choosing it.

One of the reasons PostgreSQL was not considered – a decision taken before I joined the company - was its lack of mature multi-master cluster support. It also lacked other popular ports (e.g. MariaDB, Percona, etc. in MySQL).

Other Advice

Ensure that it meets your scaling needs, and has features for handling parallelism in the application.

it_user436011
    IT Director at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
    We chose to run JD Edwards on it because of the availability of resources for it in our region.

Valuable Features

MySQL database is the database on which we run JD Edwards. You could run it on Unix or you could run it on Oracle or something else. Our choice was to run it on MySQL because of the availability of resources in our area. There are more MySQL database resources available around Houston than there would be those that are familiar with, say, Oracle Database.

Improvements to My Organization

The availability of resources for MySQL has been the biggest benefit for our organization.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to see Oracle provide more certification for it.

We've had no issues with deployment.

It's pretty rock solid and we've had no issues with instability.

We're able to scale without issues.

I cannot tell you when the last time was that I had to call about support for MySQL. It's really rock solid.

Other Advice

Choose your database based upon your ability to be able to hire people and support the product, like supporting JD Edwards with a MySQL database. Not everyone can work one database with JD Edwards as well as they can another one. So just make sure you've got the compatibility and skill-set.

it_user2652
    Project Manager at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
    Top 20Popular
    Highly recommended open source database for small/medium sized organizations
    Pros:-  1) MySQL is an open source database under the GNU General Public License, that means developers can use it at no cost as long as the associated projects are also open source.  2) MySQL is ideally suited for small/medium sized organizations for faster performance.  3) MySQL can be used in client/Server architecture as well as it can also be embedded in standalone applications.  4) MySQL is fast, east to use, highly extensible, lightweight, scalable, and reliable database.  5) MySQL supports clustering in the network for redundancy.  6) MySQL provides flexibility to modify environment variables/kernel settings to limit the amount of memory usage for increasing performance.  7) MySQL is strongly recommended for web applications, middleware and LAMP…

Pros:-

5) MySQL supports clustering in the network for redundancy.

7) MySQL is strongly recommended for web applications, middleware and LAMP architecture systems.

8) MySQL can be integrated with ldap to provide centralized authentication. It can also be integrated with LAMP/WAMP, web applications and number of programming languages. It is widely used for phpadmin and wordpress.

9) MySQL is platform independent and can be run in mixed OS platform like windows, linux, ubuntu etc. It gives compatibility even over different OS during backup and restore. Data can be backed up from one OS and can be restored on other OS.

Cons:-

1) MySQL can be integrated with ldap, however, it is very complex, tedious and time consuming.

2) MySQL support is available through communities like other open source projects which means that it is sometimes scarce and hard to find.

3) MySQL doesn't have some of RDBMS features like foreign keys, transaction, rollback and subselect.

4) MySQL also doesn't have tablespaces, role management, snapshots, synonyms and packages.

5) MySQL uses both InnoDB and MyISAM, however, it gives slower performance when using InnoDB as compared to MyISAM for using simple queries due to complexity of InnoDB.

6) MySQL does not provide good development and debugging tools, so it’s cumbersome to write large SQL statements.

Alternate Vendors:- Oracle, DB2, Sybase, Postgres, Informatica!!

Software Tester & SQA at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
    The InnoDB database allows us to store and execute procedures and roll-backs.

What is most valuable?

I couldn't name just one most valuable feature. You can use it under different cases, but most of the time I needed the database as a part of my project. I think, in one moment you will prefer the InnoDB database, so you can store and execute procedures and roll-backs.

How has it helped my organization?

Again, I couldn't name an positive aspect precisely. Maybe, the fact that using MySQL and Java gives it a big portability and, at the same time, short time responses within your product (my case). This could come from the DB side. It also allows for easiness of finding interaction tools with MySQL.

What needs improvement?

None that I can name. At the moment I worked with MySQL, there was nothing I couldn't do with the product.

I've been using it for four to five years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

It's a pretty stable product for what I needed it to do.

There have been no issues scaling it.

Being a community product, you can find solutions all over the internet. It's not a specific support department.

There was no solution in use previously.

It was quite easy. The product comes with an installer. It can be complicated to configure the MySQL server, but with a little attention, all goes well.

It was done in-house.

It's free.

What other advice do I have?

It helped me within my projects. For a free product, it works very well and it's easy to use and configure.

Don't try the most sophisticated products, that have big names, and cost a ton. Just try this product if you need something cheap and reliable. I don't think it will disappoint, at least not in my case.

Junior Technician Intern at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    The privileges and command line features are the most valuable to me. But, you do need to have experience with SQL to use it.

What is most valuable?

Privileges Command line

How has it helped my organization?

I don't have any as this was my first time using it.

What needs improvement?

I think it is where it needs to be. MySql PaaS. But, you do need to have experience with SQL to use it.

I've used it for 12 months.

There were no issues deploying it.

It has been perfectly stable for us.

We've been able to scale it without issue.

Customer Service: 4/10 Technical Support: 7/10

MS…

What is most valuable?

• Privileges
    • Command line

How has it helped my organization?

I don't have any as this was my first time using it.

What needs improvement?

I've used it for 12 months.

There were no issues deploying it.

It has been perfectly stable for us.

We've been able to scale it without issue.

4/10

7/10

MS Access. It wasn't compatible with my project.

It was a straightforward set-up.

We used an in-house team.

We also looked at Microsoft SQL Server.

What other advice do I have?

Experience with SQL is vital. It is simple to learn and use.

Expert Advisor at a mining and metals company with 51-200 employees
    This database enabled us to web present our content in a cost efficient way.

What is most valuable?

At this time, pricing and footprint.

How has it helped my organization?

This database enabled us to web present our content in a cost efficient way.

What needs improvement?

I am not up to date on this issue.

At the time pricing and footprint.

This was the IT consultant's task to solve.

No issues encountered.

Not really, as our DB was small. With time, we got version issues, as our DB engine was so old and not updated.

Customer Service: I've never used it. Technical Support: I've never used…

What is most valuable?

At this time, pricing and footprint.

How has it helped my organization?

This database enabled us to web present our content in a cost efficient way.

What needs improvement?

I am not up to date on this issue.

At the time pricing and footprint.

This was the IT consultant's task to solve.

No issues encountered.

I've never used it.

I've never used it.

No previous solution was used.

I don't know as we had consultants.

Consultant team.

We installed it under another now-obsolete license form (free on Linux).

No, as it was required for a CMS we implemented.

Software Developer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    It tends to perform better on Linux and other UNIX-like systems, but it needs support for foreign keys.

Valuable Features:

• Excellent performance, mainly due to the format of its default table, MyISAM - low disk space, CPU, and memory
    • Flexibility offering multiple variations such as Berkely DB , InnoDB, Heap and MyISAM
    • Reliability. Although the system runs on Windows without flaws, it tends to perform better on Linux and other UNIX-like Systems.
    • Availability
    • Open-Source System, open storage database engine
    • Used by many websites (e.g. LinkedIn, Facebook, Verizon, and PayPal)
    • It's inexpensive when compared to other common databases like Microsoft SQL Server.
    • As a developer myself, I enjoy using it at no cost as long as the associated projects are also open-source.

Room for Improvement:

• Limited storage capacity
    • Support for foreign keys
    • Stored procedures
    • The biggest disadvantage of MySQL is MyISAM system, which doesn't support well transactions (lack of efficiency)

Use of Solution:

Personally, I've been using it for over 10 years, and professionally for three to four years.

Deployment Issues:

I had no problems deploying it.

Stability Issues:

With each release of MySQL Server was useful for any little problems that users detected, so I would say it's quite stable.

Previous Solutions:

Initial Setup:

It was straightforward, thanks to the workbench that pulls together nearly every MySQL task, and puts them into one easy and friendly GUI.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Because MySQL is an open-source , the system is under GNU Licence. The system isn't always free, but it's more affordable. If you intend to sell your software as a proprietary product, you would need to purchase a commercial license, which is quite inexpensive when compared with a Microsoft SQL license.

Other Advice:

From my perspective, MySQL is a product that allows you to be efficient, but the decision goes down to the situation and what you're looking to accomplish.

Constructor of the computer systems at a security firm with 51-200 employees
    I had no problems deploying it but the MyISAM tables need to be more reliable.

What is most valuable?

Reliability Security Flexibility Functionality Availability - controllability anywhere and with different methods

What needs improvement?

MyISAM tables could be more reliable.

I've been using the Workbench Server for six years.

I have had no problems deploying it.

I have no stability problems.

I currently do not need to scale on my network.

Customer Service: I only have the free version, which does not have customer service. Technical Support: I only have the free version, which does not have…

What is most valuable?

• Reliability
    • Security
    • Flexibility
    • Functionality
    • Availability - controllability anywhere and with different methods

What needs improvement?

MyISAM tables could be more reliable.

I've been using the Workbench Server for six years.

I have had no problems deploying it.

I have no stability problems.

I currently do not need to scale on my network.

I only have the free version, which does not have customer service.

I only have the free version, which does not have technical support.

We use Cisco ASA and Nagios devices alongside the MySQL server as our network infrastructure needs expanding and required more serious hardware solutions.

I believe it is hard to calculate for hardware.

I only use the free version.

We also looked at PostgreSQL.

What other advice do I have?

As a rule, any device upon delivery is obsolete. Pick up the solution for your business, based on your specific needs.

Jr. Production Engineer at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
    In addition to InnoDB, it also supports full text search, optimizer, performance schema improvements and GTID.

Valuable Features:

MySQL 5.6 has a great many new features, including, but certainly not limited to, a number of performance improvements.

However, besides the widely talked-about features such as InnoDB, there's also support for full text search, optimizer, performance schema improvements and GTID.

Improvements to My Organization:

In order to change the size of InnoDB transaction log files, you have to follow this procedure. Beware that if you don’t follow these instructions step-by-step, your server may not restart or rather it will start with InnoDB storage engine disabled and an error in the logs. So, here’s what you want to do:

1. change (or add) the following variable in my.cnf: innodb_log_file_size = ..
    2. stop MySQL server
    3. make sure you see a successful shutdown of InnoDB in the MySQL error log
    4. move away old log files (at this point I have to double check where they are) by running the following command:
    mv /var/lib/mysql/ib_logfile* /tmp/
    5. start MySQL server – it should take a bit longer to start because it is going to be creating new transaction log files
    6. When you’re positive that MySQL server has started successfully, you can remove the old log files:
    rm /tmp/ib_logfile*

it_user285990
    Service Operations Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    Its ability to scale horizontally and transactional functionality features have been valuable to us, but the configuration templates could be improved.

Valuable Features:

It depends on the use and implementation, as I prefer to use Galera or XtraDB because of replication and failover functionality. However, the ability to scale horizontally is much better than other vendors. Also, the transactional functionality is good.

Room for Improvement:

Configuration templates and reliability both need work.

Use of Solution:

I have been using MySQL for over five years.

Deployment Issues:

I deploy multiples of these servers now, and it is all managed via a puppet so I/we have not had problems with deployment in a long time.

Stability Issues:

An overload of sessions, or long running queries. can cause the servers to be unusable.

Scalability Issues:

Currently no, as we use our own load balancer to enable us to scale to any level.

We don't use it.

Initial Setup:

It was straightforward, and there are numerous blogs on-line that cover every possible configuration.

Implementation Team:

We did it in-house.

ROI:

It takes about six months, but this does depend on its associated product and usage.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Chose your database based on traffic type and desired functionality, not on the initial cost.

Other Advice:

If you have the in-house knowledge MySQL can be a great product. If you do not I would recommend using MSSQL instead.

Take a look at the environment you plan to implement including the application and traffic model.

Engineer with 51-200 employees
    It provides a low cost and effective SQL DB solution for smaller companies. Replication does need improvement though.

What is most valuable?

• Speed
    • Cost

How has it helped my organization?

MySQL provides a low cost and effective SQL Database solution for smaller companies that don’t require the overhead and cost associated with RDBMS tools like Oracle

What needs improvement?

Replication and HA features, but that is to be expected at this entry point

10 years.

No, the deployment of MySQL is very easy as it is usually a part of Linux distributions and most hosting services provide a MySQL database as a part of their hosting service.

No, MySQL has always been a stable database. If there are sufficient resources on the server to run the database it will do fine.

None that I have run into. For really big databases I have always used Oracle.

There is plenty of support available on the internet. I have never really needed to use or activate a support contract for MySQL.

Before using MySQL I used Oracle and Informix for RDBMS.

The initial setup was easy as there is usually a version distributed as a part of the Linux distribution.

I have always implemented MySQL through and in house team.

The initial setup cost and maintenance costs are built into the OS costs for all of my implementations and are insignificant.

I usually look at MySQL, PostgreSQL and Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

MySQL is a great RDBMS, but make sure it will integrate with all of the clients you will be using and the rest of your infrastructure. The problems usually have more to do with other products supporting MySQL than MySQL itself.

Database Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    A fast and reliable database management system

Valuable Features:

• It is inexpensive as compared to other common databases like Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle. • MySQL is an extensible, open storage database engine that integrates seamlessly with a number of programming languages and other web-based technologies. • MYSQL is an open source system under the GNU General Public License. Developers can use it at no cost as long as the associated projects are also open-source. • Having excellent performance, MYSQL is used by many internet powerhouses like yahoo as their back-end database. MYSQL has great performance due to format of its default table, MyISAM. MyISAM databases use little disk space, memory and cpu. The system runs without flaw and perform better on all platforms including windows, Unix and Linux.

Room for Improvement:

• MySQL has a limited storage capacity. It doesn’t support large databases. • Database transactions are not handled efficiently. • Unlike Oracle, MySQL doesn't have Tablespace, Role management, snapshots, synonym and packages. • For transferring data, MySQL doesn’t support other languages being executed from within the system, and neither does it supports XML. • Compared to Oracle, MySQL database does not support any feature like Audit Vault on its server • There is a limited scope and earning available for database administrator of MySQL.

Other Advice:

MySQL is an open source database management system and is used by most of the most famous networking sites. It is more popular in websites and PHP integration. It can be executed under a number of operating systems like Linux, UNIX, Mac OS and Windows. MySQL supports ODBC interface which allows MySQL to be addressed by all the usual programming languages that run under Microsoft Windows.
    it_user1020
    Head of Data Center at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    MySQL is undoubtedly one of the best open-source database products available. It's fast, easy to use and very reliable.

Valuable Features:

MySQL has established itself not only as the most popular open-source database, but the most reliable one as well. In my more than six years as system administrator managing various websites and web servers, MySQL has been our server of choice for web applications. It wouldn't be acquired by Oracle if it did not see it that way too.What I like most about MySQL is that it's relatively easy to install, fast, lightweight and reliable. It's available for both Windows and Linux, making it a very good alternative to other open source databases back then, which only runs on Linux. PostgreSQL for example did not have a Windows installer before. This made it very difficult to adopt it for mixed-OS environments and that is why we use MySQL.

Room for Improvement:

Back in the days, our only gripe about MySQL was that it was a purely command-line based system. We don't really see it as disadvantage though, as it allowed it to be fast and very reliable. This has been addressed through the years with graphical management systems for MySQL. MySQL is a highly recommended product. I give it five stars as it really gets the job done without much of a hassle. Being available for the many platforms also makes it a very compelling choice for mixed-OS environments, as data migration can just be as easy as backing-up and restoring on another server even on different operating systems.

Other Advice:

Just be ready though to work at the command line should you wish to use MySQL in its free form. It may not be the most intuitive user interfaces available, but it also makes MySQL a simple yet very reliable database for most people's needs.
    it_user1077
    Developer at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    MySQL is the most popular Open Source Data Base Management System, developed and supported by Oracle Corporation.

Valuable Features:

1) It is freely available under the terms of GNU General Public License.2) MySQL works seamless on various platforms and environments.3) It is mainly used in Client/Server environment and it can be embedded in standalone applications. 4) Support SQL standards, and also provide Multi-thread environment.5) Offers high performance due to its unique storage engine architecture as well as it's core written in powerful languages such as C and C++.

Room for Improvement:

1) Does not provide good development and debugging tools, so it’s cumbersome to write large SQL statements.2) MySQL uses temporary tables to execute queries, so it consumes more space.3) MySQL is missing some RDBMS features like stored procedures, foreign keys, transaction, rollback, and subselect. And it also does't support triggers.It is widely used in web applications, and several software stacks includes MySQL as a Data Base Management System like (WAMP, XAMPP) considering its flexibility and simplicity.

Other Advice:

And if some one is looking for Database which performs simple processes like storing and displaying data only, then MySQL is the right choice.
    Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    MySQL is a database system that is most used, fast, more reliable, cheaper, and better than any other database system.

Valuable Features:

It has a relational database system. Client/Server Architecture SQL compatibility (Structured Query Language) .MySQL has the features of the current SQL standard (at the moment SQL: 2003). SubSELECTs: From version 4.1, MySQL is capable of processing a query in the form of SELECT * FROM tablename1 WHERE x IN (SELECT y FROM tablename2). MySQL supports views from MYSQL version 5.0. Stored procedures: Is capable of storing codes: MySQL has supported SPs since version 5.0. Triggers: MySQL has supported triggers in a limited form from version 5.0 Unicode: MySQL has supported all conceivable character sets since version 4.1, including Latin-1, Latin-2, and Unicode (either in the variant UTF8 or UCS2). User interface: There are a number of convenient user interfaces for administering a MySQL server. Full-text search: Full-text search simplifies and accelerates the search for words that are located within a text field. If you employ MySQL for storing text (such as in an Internet discussion group), you can use full-text search to simply implement an efficient search function. Has got statement-based replication. It's one of the simplest ways to create databases.

Room for Improvement:

DELETE and UPDATE statements that use a LIMIT clause without an ORDER BY are non deterministic. Statements using any of the following functions cannot be replicated properly using statement-based replication: LOADFILE (), USER ().
    Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    One of the best Databases on the market today.

Valuable Features:

MySQL is open source, highly extensible and scalable, and is available from a web interface via PHPMyAdmin, which is excellent because it's platform independent.In almost all instances that I have used MySQL, it has handled whatever I threw at it and hasn't failed me yet.

Room for Improvement:

It is a community driven project, which means that support is sometimes scarce and hard to find. Also, it really doesn't have an IDE per-se, like MSSQL does.

Other Advice:

I use MySQL on a regular basis, specifically whenever I am managing or installing a Wordpress instance. Combined with PHPMyAdmin, MySQL is an excellent database solution for small to medium sized businesses or installations. I would recommend using a better supported database like Oracle or MSSQL for mission critical tasks on an enterprise level, but MySQL is completely capable of performing the same tasks as those other databases.
    it_user1044
    Developer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    Most Powerful Open Source Database

Valuable Features:

• Free to download and use • Loads of new features over 4.1 version. • Excellent support for a range of platforms. • Performs well in small and medium applications. • Most popular Open Source database engine. • Supports advanced concepts such as replication. • Performs extremely well in the average case.

Room for Improvement:

• It doesn't support stored procedures. • You probably wouldn't use it for heavy-duty installation. • There is no active directory for integration with Microsoft SQL Server or other data bases.

Other Advice:

As a developer I have used many database engines but MySQL is by far the best known and most popular Open Source database engine.
    it_user1065
    Senior Manager of Data Center at a integrator with 51-200 employees
    One of the best open source database for web developers and application enthusiasts

Valuable Features:

The best features in MySQL, making it one of the most used databases globally, are- 1) Multi-threaded architecture for multiple CPU utilization and kernel threading 2) Use of triggers and crash recovery techniques 3) Indexed Conditional Pushdown 4) Integration with LAMP/WAMP 5) Easy setup with Memcached for increasing performance and scalability

Room for Improvement:

Few cons in MySQL are 1) Increased complexity in InnoDB 2) Slower performance when using InnoDB as compared to MyISAM for using simple queries 3) Only identical MyISAM tables can be merged. 4) No active directory integration as in SQL server 5) It does not support check constraints

Other Advice:

MySQL is indeed the world's most popular open source database. It has been designed on the hyper threading infrastructure and supports multi-threaded architecture for using multiple CPU's. It works on index compression with B-Tree disk tables popularly known as MyISAM. Its efficiency depends on the implementation of SQL functions with optimization of library classes.
    Download our free MySQL Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.