Nagios Core Overview

Nagios Core is the #16 ranked solution in our list of Infrastructure Monitoring tools. It is most often compared to Zabbix: Nagios Core vs Zabbix

What is Nagios Core?

This is IT infrastructure monitoring's industry-standard, open-source core. Free without professional support services.

Nagios Core Buyer's Guide

Download the Nagios Core Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Nagios Core Customers
Airbnb, Cisco, PayPal, FanDuel
Nagios Core Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Nagios Core pricing:
  • "Nagios Core is free to use."
  • "Lessening the price point would be an improvement."
  • "We are using the open-source, unpaid version."

Nagios Core Reviews

Ahmed-Amin
Software Engineer at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Jun 24, 2019
Improves memory and disc space usage, but is not user friendly

What is our primary use case?

We used Nagios Core to monitor our servers in other countries. Our main server is in Cairo, while we monitor other servers in Germany, which are hosting Jenkins and other web services to make sure that the infrastructure is stable and if anything goes wrong it reports it automatically.

• "Nagios monitors our servers, so we know if anything goes wrong and can solve the problem before it happens."
  • "It's not that easy to install the product itself. Also, the UI is a bit hard for regular users to navigate through."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Nagios Core as seven out of ten because it was hard to configure and the implementation process itself took about two weeks. Also, the UI is not friendly. Other products have features that aren't included in Nagios Core. I think that one was the easiest to restore. Also, Nagios supports only Linux, not A/UX. It can't be installed on the servers. If they supported all of these things, it would be much better.
reviewer1276566
Network Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 15, 2021
Efficient and easy to manage with good stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for monitoring ops for computers and our server. We're considering adding other device monitoring as well and at points of sale.

• "The solution is quite efficient."
  • "It would be nice if the company offered a sales or contract manager that was dedicated to our company so that we would have some sort of link to Nagios, and if we had issues or questions, we'd be able to contact them directly."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Nagios. We're using the latest version of the solution. We're still in the early days in terms of usage. We're still feeling the solution out and testing it for its acceptability within the greater framework of our organization's requirements. We're looking to test it at the point of sale to see how successfully it operates. Overall, I would recommend the solution to other organizations. I would rate the solution eight out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Nagios Core. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,301 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Manoj Nair
Tech Specialist at Select Softwares
Oct 2, 2019
Alerts to network element errors, but the core version is no match for the XI version

What is our primary use case?

The primary use for this solution is basic network monitoring of a MPLS network.

• "The most valuable feature is the performance parameters of the system."
  • "The core version is no match for the XI version."

What other advice do I have?

Definitely try it out if you have zero budget Even if you don't have a budget restriction please do give it a try
NgiosC677
Computer Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Jul 12, 2019
A feature-rich solution with valuable plugins and automatically escalating alerts

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to monitor our IT infrastructure, like servers, the network, and things like that.

• "I like the way the solution sends alerts and how it keeps on escalating them."
  • "I would like to see more training videos."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice, I'd say that you need to know what the plan is and try to understand from which direction you are going to monitor. And, to understand what additional things you'll probably want to do from your side, like putting in scripts and other kinds of automation. So the planning is everything. If there is a particular tool you want to integrate with those things have to be properly planned beforehand. With the number of features that it has and the ease of integration, I would rate the solution somewhere close to nine out of ten.
reviewer1123962
Network Operations Center Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Sep 28, 2020
Open-source, good reporting and online documentation, but the GUI needs improvements

• "The most valuable features are the reports and the way it generates the report in a graphical manner."
  • "The scalability needs improvement, it's not scalable at this time."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it for small network deployments or if you have other open source applications or other metrics like utilization, CPU. So if you're running alongside other open source applications and in the small space, it works. But anything beyond that is not recommended. I would rate Nagios Core a six out of ten.
reviewer1061970
Corporate Infrastructure Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 11, 2019

What is our primary use case?

Monitoring the critical services and network environment for a large multi-site company.  It is also used for troubleshooting issues and capacity planning.

How has it helped my organization?

Nagios allows IT staff and end-users to see the status of critical services on the network. It also can alert and notify selected users if critical services fail, reducing the mean time to recover.

What is most valuable?

Availability of additional plugins like SNMP for instant alerts and PNP4Nagios for graphs make this a powerful solution.

What needs improvement?

This is the open source product, so it's a toolkit rather than a complete solution. See Nagios XI for a more complete version.

More than five years.
Download our free Nagios Core Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.