Nagios XI Overview

Nagios XI is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Server Monitoring tools. It is most often compared to Zabbix: Nagios XI vs Zabbix

What is Nagios XI?

Nagios XI provides monitoring of all mission-critical infrastructure components including applications, services, operating systems, network protocols, systems metrics, and network infrastructure. Hundreds of third-party addons provide for monitoring of virtually all in-house and external applications, services, and systems.

Nagios XI Buyer's Guide

Download the Nagios XI Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Nagios XI Customers

Nagios has over one million users globally, including AOL, DHL, McAfee, MCI, MTV, Yahoo!, Universal, Toshiba, Sony, Siemens, and JPMorgan Chase.

Nagios XI Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Nagios XI pricing:
  • "The pricing is high with separate licensing for the product and support."
  • "This solution is very expensive, at approximately $5,000 USD when I purchased it, which is why I haven't upgraded my version in several years."
  • "Nagios Core does not have any payment, but Nagios XI requires payment for the license."
  • "The licensing fees for this solution are approximately $3,000 USD per year."
  • "We are using the free version of this solution."

KL
KODZOVI Loïc
Head of IT, Projects and Organization at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Jun 24, 2019
Collects large amounts of data to monitor our network, switches, and firewall

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution in order to collect large amounts of data to monitor our network, switches, and firewall.

• "An excellent solution that is easy and intuitive to implement."
  • "They need more documentation for the plugins."

What other advice do I have?

The price of the licensing is very high, even for a big company. There are good open source products in the market that we could use for free and other companies I know are using them because of the price. Mostly because of the price of the product and the cost of tech support, I would rate this an eight out of ten. The product itself is very good.
DP
reviewer1042011
NOC Manager/Network Administrator at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 20, 2019
Has a single screen that provides a summary for hundreds of servers, but the user interface needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

This solution is being used to monitor hundreds of servers at startup. It checks disk usage, services, memory usage, and more.

• "The most valuable feature is the dashboard, where I can have a single screen that provides a summary for hundreds of servers."
  • "I would like a much easier GUI so that I can delete events and logs, which will free up a lot of space."

What other advice do I have?

I am using the original version of the software that I purchased because I do not have a support contract. This means that I have not received support or updates in several years. While this solution works, I think that it can be improved in terms of maintenance, support, and price. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Nagios XI. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
476,483 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AS
reviewer1467417
IT-OSS Manager at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 9, 2021
Powerful monitoring that is easy to use and install

What is our primary use case?

I use Nagios to monitor LTE modems. We have more than 24,000 modems on a single instance of Nagios. We also use this software to monitor several KPIs regarding to CPE devices, and items in our IT department infrastructure when we started eight years ago.

• "Nagios is stable and it's easy to use the monitoring software, which is why we chose this product."
  • "The installation and monitoring need improvement."

What other advice do I have?

For anyone who is interested in using this solution, I would recommend it. This monitoring software is easy to use and is very powerful. This monitoring system has a powerful engine. I have many devices being monitored by a single instance, and it can show that this software works well. I would rate Nagios XI an eight out of ten.
AS
reviewer1467417
IT-OSS Manager at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Jan 2, 2021
We can use it to expose custom APIs for our integration, which is a great feature.

What is our primary use case?

Nagios is our cloud-based monitoring system. We need to deploy it and integrate with our CRM, customer portal and the ticketing system as an end to end customer support platform. We use it for monitoring and gathering data from our customer service equipment.

• "Nagios is a custom API manager, and we can expose custom APIs for our integration. This is a great feature."
  • "We often need to develop custom plugins to get Nagios to work the way we want it to work because the features we need are not always available in Nagios."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution because it's so powerful with no limitation, especially when using the XI version. I would rate Nagios 8 out of 10. Overall, I find it to be a very good solution.
SR
Nagios677
Network Engineer at a tech services company
Jun 21, 2019
Provides for better network visibility and identification of connection problems

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the monitoring of network devices in multiple areas. I use this solution on a daily basis, and the first thing that I do when I go into the workplace each morning is to check on all of the equipment.

• "The most valuable feature is its support for different types of devices, where it can use all of the equipment that you need."
  • "I would like to see more customization in the network map because it is a bit tricky to use it."

Hattab Mahdi
IT Project Manager at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Jun 19, 2019
Monitors all of the necessary statuses for our servers and provides email notification for errors

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for monitoring the status of our hard drives, as well as bandwidth utilization. Essentially, we monitor all of the necessary statuses for our servers.

• "This is a very good solution and it is simple to use, for any company."
  • "I would like to see support for notification via SMS."

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good solution and it is simple to use, for any company. It is also very stable and you can monitor a large number of services with no problem. You can also create many users and have them receive notification by email. It's very good. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
MN
Michael Nbwiga
IT CIO at Kimfay
Jun 14, 2019
Our pre-production testing and evaluation has gone well, but the installation is hectic

What is our primary use case?

We are planning to use this solution for network server monitoring. We have had training for deployment on our end, but it is not yet in production use.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the monitoring of processes.

What needs improvement?

I think that the process of installing this solution can be improved because it is quite hectic. The interface could be more user-friendly.

We are still in pre-production.

I think that stability is quite good.

We are still in the pre-production stage and have only two IT administrators using the solution. There will be six users once it…
AM
Asher Margolis
R&D Support & Monitoring, IT Production at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Jul 21, 2019
Enables us to monitor servers but the visibility needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution to monitor servers and services.

• "The features I've found the most useful are the plug-ins, the fact that you can connect almost everything to it. That's very useful."
  • "There's room for improvement in the visibility, and in the ability to extract information. Stuff like this should be more simple."

What other advice do I have?

In regards to the interface, obviously it can always get even better but at the moment it's functional. It's a good tool. It's very easy to use, very straightforward, and I would recommend it. I would rate this solution a seven out of 10. I like it but of course, it could be better. The product detail should look better, and again, being able to find information on the search is not good enough. I think to change that would improve it very much.