SD
ICT Manager at Rossall School
Small footprint, supports many cloud providers, quick and easy to create new jobs, and good support

• "This enables us to do quick granular file recovery as and when required but also to do whole-site relocation in the case of a total loss scenario."
  • "My first thought was maybe the GUI could be improved, although it works."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of Nakivo is to backup a three-way vSphere cluster hosting approximately 50 virtual machines.

We changed backup solutions because our previous one became so top-heavy and cumbersome to use.

We are a large site and use Nakivo to back up to disc between buildings in a limited time window. It then moves backup sets to the cloud as required.

We also use the replication feature to snapshot some of our most critical VMs to a backup server, which could be used if we lost our main datacenter.

How has it helped my organization?

It has enabled us to backup (and replicate) our virtual machines much more frequently than was previously possible. We can now backup our entire vSphere cluster to disc on-site and then move backups to the cloud later. This enables us to do quick granular file recovery as and when required but also to do whole-site relocation in the case of a total loss scenario.

The small footprint of the main software ("Director" ) and transporters is excellent, too. I've often wondered why some of the agents we have had to install for other backup solutions need so many resources. You don't need an agent for Nakivo either, just a "transporter" that can handle loads of VMs and jobs.

Also, the ability to use a variety of cloud providers rather than being tied into one is a huge bonus.

What is most valuable?

Creating new jobs is quick and easy, with only a few clicks and you're done.

The backup copy option is handy if you start running out of space. You can just move backup sets to alternate locations.

The ability to fire up replicated VMs and grab a screenshot of the running OS as proof the replication has worked is great for peace of mind!

The web-based GUI on Nakivo is rapid and the ongoing development of the product is steady and sensible. Not just a case of adding every option under the sun as some manufacturers try, and fail to do.

The simplicity of Nakivo is its best feature. It does exactly what it should, which is to create restorable backups!

What needs improvement?

My first thought was maybe the GUI could be improved, although it works.

We have been using Nakivo for the past four years.

It's not gone wrong in four years, so I'd say it's stable.

Nakivo is very scalable. You add more licenses for sockets if you need to; otherwise, deploy more transporters to cope with more simultaneous workloads.

We have only needed to use technical support twice. Once was a user error on our part and the other was a licensing issue. Both times, customer support was very good.

Our previous solution became too bloated and cumbersome to use. We got sick of waiting five seconds for screens to load.

The initial setup is very easy, with simple instructions to follow.

We deployed in-house.

The ROI is unmeasurable.

My advice is that you get the trial, as there is nothing to lose!

The licensing model is crystal clear on the website.

We looked at several others but it's that long ago, I can't remember which products.

What other advice do I have?

I have serious reservations suggesting features for something which is spot on as it is. Over my many years working in IT I have seen good products ruined by overzealous "improvements". The software can quickly become bloated and go on to lose its long-term customers and then end up in a constant battle to be the most feature-rich product.

reviewer1516494
Systems Engineer at SRC
Diligent and helpful support, saves drive space with deduplication, and self-backup is handy

• "With Nakivo, I have the peace of mind that all of my production environment is safely backed up and can be restored safely, easily, and quickly with a few clicks."
  • "Automatic updates do not work, and every update has to be done manually."

What is our primary use case?

I use Nakivo Backup & Restore with a basic license for one physical host, and I run it on a Raspberry Pi 4. The physical host runs a VMware ESXi Hypervisor 7.0, the free edition.

Primarily, I use it to back up the virtual machines from the physical server to a backup repository that is run on a NAS. My environment consists of six or seven virtual machines that range from Unix/Linux machines to Windows Server.

Nakivo, the physical host, and the NAS repository are all on the same network. The NAS is a Qnap solution with HDDs.

How has it helped my organization?

When I changed the host server, the restoring of virtual machines was completed in a fully automated process, in a few hours, with just a few clicks. This is in contrast to it an effort of days of work restoring everything manually.

The backup process is also fully automated, with powerful scheduling, so that I do not need to worry about a loss of service for any of our services.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the possibility to include a free ESXi Hypervisor into the backup, because of budget constraints, and it is lightweight. I do not need a very powerful machine to run Nakivo and can use my ESXi host for the VMs.

Deduplication saves around 50% of drive space, which is handy.

Migrating to a new environment is also done quickly because you can store the configuration and restore it in another environment. The license is also migrated.

The self-backup feature is also handy, ensuring that the solution itself is backed up regularly.

What needs improvement?

Automatic updates do not work, and every update has to be done manually. I've upgraded twice, from 10.0 to 10.0.1 and then to 10.1.1.

A mobile app for administration would be appreciated.

The user interface could use a bit of refreshing; however, on the other hand, it runs very smoothly, so if that would change I can live with the user interface looking a bit dated.

I would like to see some more detailed data regarding backups. For example, a pie chart representing the various virtual machines or other backups and how much space they need would be helpful to have.

I have been using Nakivo Backup and Restore for six months.

The solution is very stable, with no breakdowns so far. Backups are performed regularly, no errors regarding the creation of backups or with restoring from backups. The connection to repositories and inventories is stable and without outages or disconnects. We are especially impressed, because it is running on a Raspberry Pi.

You can deploy multiple transporters which can scale your solution without much additional cost.

Support is top-notch. They are very diligent and helpful.

It is my first solution of this type.

The setup is really simple and straightforward and it can be run on a Raspberry Pi.

The initial setup is extremely straightforward, the Knowledge Base and User Guide are very concise and to the point. We had no issues with the process.

Our in-house team is responsible for deployment and maintenance.

Our projected ROI is 12 months.

Regarding the licensing, I would advise speaking to the Nakivo representatives and you can get the best option for your environment.

I did not evaluate other options.

Learn what your peers think about Nakivo. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,695 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1557354
System Admin
User
Good data compression, easy to manage, and sends email alerts to notify us of problems

• "It is easy to manage all of the individual backup jobs, check the status every day, and it can even send an email to keep us informed."
  • "I would like to have a built-in SNMP client, which is important if we want to monitor it using Zabbix, Nagios, or another monitoring solution."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for Nakivo backup is to have all of our data secured, and easily accessible if there is any data loss.

It backs up our SQL databases, web servers, and application servers.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this solution has organized the data structure. Prior to using it, we could only back up three or four machines, manually to external storage, and it was impossible to keep consistent or to manage for a long time.

This software has the ability to centralize, organize, and manage all of our data. When something is changed or missing, you know where to look for it.

It has improved our backup speed, reducing the time we spend on performing backups every week. This gives us more time to improve other areas at the company. File recovery from a virtual machine is also great.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to manage all of the individual backup jobs, check the status every day, and it can even send an email to keep us informed. If there any problem, we can fix it before the next backup.

There is centralized storage, where the compressed backup data is reduced by almost half of the size, compared to the actual data. This means that we save a lot of space.

Another great feature is the VM backup. The job creation is clear and only needs a few steps. Once it up and running, it keeps data safe for a long time without any interaction from us.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have a built-in SNMP client, which is important if we want to monitor it using Zabbix, Nagios, or another monitoring solution.The snmp protocol can be used for monitoring systems,to ask the statuses of all process.If the software has some problem,freezes etc,it cant send an email of its status,but snmp can discovers problems.The snmp client can be installed manually.So altough its not a big loss,but nice if we have it built in.

It would be helpful if there were more cloud services supported as a backup repository.Now only amazon services is available,but there is other smaller cloud providers too.

We have been using Nakivo for maybe a month.

The stability has been great.

Scalability-wise, this product is great.

Technical support is great they want to help.

We did not use another solution prior to Nakivo.

The initial setup was not complex at all.

One of the valuable features is that it can be easily deployed as an OVF template. It can also be installed on network-attached storage.

Time-wise, it will be up and running in under five minutes.

We used an in-house team.

This product is cheaper than other big rivals.

It has a demo version that you can try and it has almost all the features. Moreover, when you buy it, you just activate it rather than having to reinstall it.

We evaluated Veeam before selecting this product.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good solution. I can only think of a few cons, there are a lot more pros.

The next release should only include little tweaks or bug fixes if there are any of them. In our daily use of this program, we have no experienced any issues. It performs all of the commands that we give it, and there have been no errors yet.

PS
Manager at a integrator with 1-10 employees
User
Straightforward to set up with good reporting and a clear user interface

• "The upgrade process is manual but very simple to do."
  • "It would be a good thing to have some use case and architecture examples online to understand integration in complex infrastructure."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Nakivo Backup & Replication to backup 40 Virtual machines from our HyperV cluster.

We also use it to backup one physical server.

All of these backups are stored on a Synology NAS in our building.

Nakivo Backup & Replication have replaced another backup solution we used before which lacked many features.

We plan to set up an offsite backup for all the important virtual machines via a 300MB VPN connection to an external office.

We are currently using the Enterprise Essentials license.

How has it helped my organization?

We first used NAKIVO Backup & Replication for our own HyperV Cluster. Then, we added a physical server.

Having used it for some time, we discovered all of its functionalities and have seen the power of the product.

The web interface is clear and simple to use and learning to use it is very quick.

The email reports are clear.

The support is quick and efficient.

NAKIVO Backup & Replication has become an important part of our disaster and recovery strategy.

Our company, being a VAR, has decided to become a reseller of this product to help more and more customers to discover it.

What is most valuable?

The first good thing about Nakivo Backup & Replication is the installation and configuration process.

The web interface is intuitive to use. The dashboard is simple to read and very clear. The navigation between pages using links is very useful too.

The built-in feature to send requests to support is very useful. The support team is very efficient.

The upgrade process is manual but very simple to do.

Other features like search and calendar are good.

The last new added features, including the Immutable Repository and 2FA, are important ways to help us increase our backup protection.

What needs improvement?

There are not many features we are missing at this moment with Nakivo Backup & Replication.

If it would be perhaps possible to add some more details and information in the activities tab or links from graphics to logs, that would be useful.

For HyperV, we need to extract VMDK from OVA files and convert them to VHDX. It would be easier to have a direct download of VHDX files.

Visio stencils are missing. They would help us build schemas.

We've been using Nakivo Backup & Replication since 2018.

We never had any crashes. No need to reboot the NAKIVO VMs.

The solution is very stable.

We had no problem upgrading our infrastructure and adding many virtual machines.

Support via the web console is very straightforward and the response time is quick. They are knowledgeable.

We have never needed any phone support.

We used another product in the past. It lacked some important features and we decided to switch. After having tested some other products, we choose Nakivo Backup & Replication.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We implemented the solution through an in-house team.

The ROI is very good.

Globally, Nakivo Backup & Replication has a lower price than other backup solutions while still providing the same or more functionalities.

When we decided to change the backup solution, we evaluated Veeam and Nakivo, and we choose Nakivo.

What other advice do I have?

I'd advise new users to try it then you will likely adopt it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are NAKIVO Silver Partner.
MB
IT infrastructure manager at Indicom eDocument Care
Savings time has been reduced by almost half

• "Before using Nakivo Backup & Replication, all our data backup processes took a long time and did not optimize the disk space reserved for backup. With the introduction of Nakivo Backup & Replication, saving times have been reduced by almost half (thanks to the use of several simultaneous transporters) and the space occupied has also had a very important reduction."
  • "In the press releases, it would be useful to make sure that the manual space reclaim procedure does not have to be performed but that it happens automatically, thus optimizing the use of space."

What is our primary use case?

We were looking for backup software to permit us to save our big environment in a fast and easy way. After a  careful analysis of the market leaders, we chose Nakivo. We use Nakivo to save all our Virtual Machines in a VMware environment and to save all the data in our file system. In our environment, we have around 100 Virtual Machines. Those Virtual Machines are both of production and staging. We are saving around 4 TB in our file systems. Daily, the backup saves more than 900MB from file systems and more than 1 TB from VM.

How has it helped my organization?

Before using Nakivo Backup & Replication, all of our data backup processes took a long time and did not optimize the disk space reserved for backup. With the introduction of Nakivo Backup & Replication, savings time has been reduced by almost half (thanks to the use of several simultaneous transporters) and the space occupied has also had a very important reduction.

In addition, all restore test processes are carried out quickly and easily. You can restore a single file, a single folder, or a single database in a very simple way. There is also the possibility to receive the restored files or folders directly on our PC by downloading the browser or by receiving e-mails

What is most valuable?

We have found many fundamental features in Nakivo Backup & Recovery.

The main ones are:

• The ability to use multiple transporters in parallel to have very efficient speed savings
  • A very clear graphical interface and guided procedures in a simple and fast way
  • The method of restoring the various backups that allow you to restore even the individual
  • Virtual Machines on the same Hypervisor but with a different name or the ability to choose a different destination network.
  • Finally, the data compression that the software is able to carry out by saving costs related to disk space.

What needs improvement?

The Nakivo Backup & Recovery product is already a very complete product and fully satisfies all of our current needs. Lately, thanks to the personalized presentation that was made to us by both the marketing and technical teams, we have learned about the new features released in the latest versions. Among these, the ability of having the replica of our Virtual Machines in a dormant state and ready to be activated in case of problems on the primary site has great value on the Disaster Recovery site.

We have been using Nakivo Backup & Replication for more than three years.

It is very stable, in more than three years we always had daily backups.

It is very scalable and affordable.

All our requests were dealt with within one hour of opening.

We used another solution but the performance and stability were not comparable to that offered by Nakivo.

It was very easy.

We implemented it ourselves.

Nakivo has a pricing solution that can meet the various needs of companies in order to pay only for actual use and needs.

We also tested Veeam.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Nakivo to those who need to have safe, performing, and simple backup software.

Pietro Corti
IT Architect at MFL GROUP
Easy to learn with a intuitive user interface and great VM backup verification

• "Nakivo offers direct support through the graphical interface and this is great to have if you need quick help."
  • "Log and report creation can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for backup and replication of virtual environments based on VMware ESXi located in different company sites.

I use Nakivo B&R to provide Disaster Recovery and backups of complex VMware environments.

I have multiple datacenters centrally managed and need a solution that's scalable, simple, and also has enterprise-grade features that give me complete control of backups.

Initially, the solution was going to be an alternative to a primary backup. Now, it is always a must-have in our environment.

There's a simple interface and a lot of options. Installing directly on a NAS appliance is a must.

How has it helped my organization?

First of all, the price and the order process of Nakivo B&R are very attractive and simple.

We have a lot of QNAP appliances and Nakivo Backup and Replication supports them. This is very useful. I can install the suite directly to the NAS appliance and the transport package on a small QNAP across my datacenter's infrastructure.

The product has almost the same features of Veeam Backup and Replication at a lower price point, and this is very attractive.

The enterprise version is a solid product with good support, a lot of features, and a helpful knowledge base.

What is most valuable?

It has a simple and intuitive user interface and the fast learning curve is amazing.

Another very useful feature is VM backup verification. Nakivo B&R takes the backup, boots the VM, and takes a screenshot. In this way, I can be sure that the backup or replication job is consistent.

Another great feature in version 10.4 is the immutability of the backup repository. This is a must-have in order to protect against ransomware attacks.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs a high availability feature in case of loss on the primary site. This would be very attractive as a part of configuration backup.

Another great additional feature would be an automatic upgrade of the transporter package in case of an upgrade of full product. In my environment, I have many transporters at different datacenters and I need to perform a manual upgrade process at this time.

Storage snapshot integration for the EMC Unity appliance is another missing feature.

Log and report creation can be improved.

The graphical user interface can be made better.

I have been using Nakivo B&R for about 4 years.

The product is very stable and offers great support.

I had no problem using it in about 4 years

It is very easy to expand the repository and to deploy it in a different data center.

There are no issues in regards to customer service and technical support.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I still use Veeam Backup and Replication as the main source of backup jobs, but Nakivo is very attractive and offers the same functionality at a very interesting price.

The setup process is very easy. I use Nakivo directly installed on QNAP appliance and in about five minutes I can start working.

The solution is very easy to set up and has direct support of the NAS appliance at a very interesting price.

It is a product that is very easy to order.

SS
Operations manager at Füssner Computersysteme GmbH
User
Well priced and easy to use with an excellent technical support team

• "The ability to use a variety of cloud providers rather than being tied into one is a huge bonus."
  • "Updating VM Tools on a replicated VM could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We are a German reseller and have sold Veeam for a very long time. We never were very happy with that solution and searched for an alternative to Veeam 2 to 3 years ago. With Nakivo, we found a partner who is very cooperative, has a very interesting price point and is even more than an alternative!

Now, we likely use Nakivo for customers with virtual servers and who don't want to spend thousands of Euros for a backup solution. Nakivo is perfect for them. We never have heard of a customer who is not happy with it.

How has it helped my organization?

With Nakivo, we can increase our portfolio and have a partner with short response times. Nakivo takes the time to hear every customer's issues and needs.

They are always friendly and help the reseller and customer with a good support team.

With Nakivo, we can grant a backup solution for a lower price - which is perfect for smaller customers.

The pre-configured virtual machine helps the IT team save time and is very easy to use.

Email notifications make the ongoing monitoring of the system simplicity itself.

What is most valuable?

They offer a built-in link in the web console to request support. They also automatically include a support bundle with all the relevant configuration data for your system which makes requesting support easy, however, you really don't need it very often.

The transporter is one thing that we often use when we have installed a new server for our system.

For me, as a reseller, not only the product is important - it's also the people behind it and how they behave. This I can only praise. They have a great team.

What needs improvement?

The feature that has a backup repository, like QNAP + ext. HDD's could be improved. We sometimes have trouble with that and it would be nice if they had a solution on the way.

Updating VM Tools on a replicated VM could be better.

Support for the backup and replication of virtual machines is excellent, however, improved support for physical machine backups would be very welcome (I believe this is already on the way).

A mobile app for administration would be appreciated.

The user interface could use a bit of refreshing, however, on the other hand, it runs very smoothly, so if that would change how it runs I'd rather live with the user interface looking a bit dated.

I've been using the solution for two years.

We have never heard of any system fails.

The scalability is good.

They are always very fast and ready to help.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We used mainly Veeam previously and searched for a solution for smaller customers, where the price level was lower.

It's very easy to set up, thanks to the ready-to-install VM's.

We are the vendor.

The price level is low, however, you have to watch out if you want to backup workstations.

I don't remember evaluating other options.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a reseller and sell Nakivo since 2 years
reviewer1495230
Information Technology System Engineer at Unione dei Comuni della Bassa Romagna
Instant verification ensures integrity, encryption provides good security, and the dashboard keeps us fully informed

• "For my purpose, I find VM Backup to be the most useful, as it gives me the ability to create image-based, incremental backups of VMware, Hyper-V, and Nutanix AHV VMs."
  • "In the future, it would be nice to have support for Zimbra email, Collabora Office, and the NextCloud content collaboration platform."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to back up our virtual machines.

We have a hyper-converged infrastructure with Nutanix, made up of three servers with VMware ESXi and a virtual machine with a VMware vCenter appliance.

We have a QNAP NAS with Nakivo Backup & Replication installed. Every day, we create a backup of all the virtual machines. The entire infrastructure is connected with two switches in the stack, in high availability. Every link is 10GBase-LX4 and is redundant.

How has it helped my organization?

Nakivo is easy to configure because there are only a few basic configurations to complete before it starts working. I use it with VMware and Hyper-V. When you start the initial configuration, it asks you essential questions to reach your goal.

After that, you can schedule backups, and the dashboard shows if there are any problems during the previous backups, also suggesting the solution.

The process of restoring the virtual machine is very simple. You select what you want to recover and how you want it done, then click to run. The dashboard shows you the speed of the process and alerts you when is it done.

What is most valuable?

Nakivo has a lot of features that are very interesting.

For my purpose, I find VM Backup to be the most useful, as it gives me the ability to create image-based, incremental backups of VMware, Hyper-V, and Nutanix AHV VMs.

Instant Backup Verification permits me to instantly verify VMware and Hyper-V VM backups and to get a report with screenshots of test-recovered machines.

Backup Encryption protects my data in flight and at rest with AES 256 encryption.

Instant VM Recovery is useful because I can boot VMware and Hyper-V VMs directly from deduplicated backups.

Instant File Recovery to Source is helpful because I can browse, search, and instantly restore files and folders back to the source.

What needs improvement?

In the future, it would be nice to have support for Zimbra email, Collabora Office, and the NextCloud content collaboration platform.

We have been using Nakivo for three years.

Stability-wise, Nakivo is good.

I have a good impression of the scalability.

I have not used their technical support.

Yes, we used Commvault, but it is very complicate and not practical for our use. So we choose Nakivo for is semplicity and the pricing.

The initial setup is straightforward because it guides you with a few questions.

I implemented it through a vendor team and their level of expertise is good.

Yes Veeam Backup and Replication, but it very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

The last version of Nakivo introduced the support to protect Microsoft Office 365 data with backup and recovery for OneDrive for Business and Exchange Online. It sends source-side deduplicated backups to HPE StoreOnce backup appliances with HPE StoreOnce Catalyst integration.

Unfortunately, we don't use that technology because we have Zimbra as our mail server and Collabora Office as our Office application. Also, we use NextCloud, a content collaboration platform.

Overall, Nakivo works fine and we don't have any problems for now.

Download our free Nakivo Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.