reviewer1509885
Sviluppatore, Sistemista, DPO at Areadati srl
Reseller
Good support, priced well, and supports multiple environments for repositories

• "The most valuable feature is the support, as it is directly from Nakivo and it is possible to send a support request that contains all of the technical data on the environment, as well as the software, required for the answer."
  • "From our experience, the main factor that could be improved is adding more cloud services that are supported as a backup repository."

What is our primary use case?

We use Nakivo as a backup solution in small and medium-sized virtual environments based on VMware. We are a small IT company and our customers generally have between one and five physical servers, with between one and one hundred virtual machines to protect.

We use Nakivo to backup and/or replicate those virtual machines to achieve the RTO and RPO requested by the customer. It can be deployed on a Windows machine, as a dedicated appliance, or even on a NAS (like QNAP or Synology).

How has it helped my organization?

When we started working with the first virtual environments, we used to make only copies of the data. Specifically, we were copying files and database dumps to external destinations.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the support, as it is directly from Nakivo and it is possible to send a support request that contains all of the technical data on the environment, as well as the software, required for the answer. The response is very quick and most of the time, the problem is solved within the first answer.

Secondly, it is possible to install Nakivo in every environment including Windows, Linux, virtual appliances, NAS, and more.

Third, is possible to use as a backup repository many kinds of destinations. The ones we mostly use are CIFS and NFS shares, but also, amazon EC2 and tapes are supported.

The installation and configuration process is quite simple, yet rich in options to customize the solution.

What needs improvement?

From our experience, the main factor that could be improved is adding more cloud services that are supported as a backup repository. Many customers have active subscriptions with services like Dropbox or Google Drive and have asked us to use those as the backup repository. For now, those services aren't supported.

Another minor thing that could be added is the capability to granularly recover objects for more types of databases, including some open-source ones like MySQL or PostgreSQL. This could be useful in some full Linux environments, avoiding having to recover the whole virtual machine.

We have been using Nakivo Backup & Replication since 2018.

Basic support included with the standard license answers on business days. They are quite quick and precise in the answers, and we are satisfied with it.

We tried several competitors' software solutions, including Veeam Backup and Replication, but we have to say that Nakivo is the best choice when it comes to quality/cost ratio.

In fact, the licensing model gives the opportunity to offer a good price to the customer while maintaining, as a partner, a good margin.

Other than that, the functions that this software offers are comparable or even better to the competitors. For example, Nakivo can use an NFS share as a repository natively, without relying on other servers, which is a plus in a full linux environment.

The initial setup is quite simple and well documented.

The licensing model is very affordable compared to competitors, with a good quality-to-cost ratio, and the software is quite simple and fast to setup.

We didn't evaluate other options.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: we are nakivo partners, we resell their products to final customers, along with the installation e configuration
reviewer1557180
System Administrator
User
Helps to centralize backups, easy to recover data, effectively saves space with incremental backup using a proprietary change-tracking method

• "This product has helped to centralize backups and made it easy to recover data."
  • "I would like to see support for backing up from other platforms, such as physical machines."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is disaster recovery in case of a cyber attack, crypto-virus, etc.

We are using it to back up virtual machines from a VMware ESXi server, and there are individual jobs for every day. It keeps track of the daily changes and backs up only the changed data, which is much smaller than the whole virtual machine.

Nakivo has its own change block tracking. It is available in the free edition of VMware and it's not allowed to be used for backup software, but it's not a problem because Nakivo uses its own method to track changed blocks.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has helped to centralize backups and made it easy to recover data.

It can be deployed as an individual virtual machine to the VMware ESXi environment.

It doesn't need a lot of computing power, whether RAM, processor or otherwise.

Its runs silently and has a webpage where we can manage all of our backups. The webpage is clean and fast.

There aren't any major problems and it's easy to update.

There are a lot of options such as sending emails from each job about its status every day.

It manages the repositories well, it can clean space if it's needed, and it has self-healing capabilities.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is full-VM recovery from ashes. If there is a data loss or a virtual machine in the VMware environment gets corrupted by a cyberattack or storage failure, there is a full consistent backup in the Nakivo backup repository. It can be recovered to the same hardware, or to a brand new VMware ESXi environment in less than half a day, even if there is a lot of data.

We have been covered by this software over the past year, and the recovery has been tested in our production environment. As such, we are satisfied with this solution, even when compared to others.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see support for backing up from other platforms, such as physical machines.

The mail recovery options could be improved. We used this feature often but it's a bit slow.

Sometimes, the backup speed to the NFS repository that we use in our environment drops from 400 MB/s to 50 MB/s, but it might be a problem in the network, which is something that we're investigating.

We have been using Nakivo for more than one year.

This is a stable solution.

This product is very scalable.

Technical support is helpful.

Prior to Nakivo, we were using Duplicity.

The initial setup is easy.

We set it up ourselves.

This product provides good value for the price.

We evaluated Veeam but opted for Naviko.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that continuously improves over time.

Learn what your peers think about Nakivo. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,029 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1558599
User
Good support, quick to deploy, clean management console, and supports various storage types

• "Every new version has got some tweaks and improvements in stability and speed."
  • "In the future, I would like to see support for backing up data to more cloud platforms, besides Amazon."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use Nakivo for Microsoft Office 365 backup, as well as for file backup.

It can do all of the promised features well and without any problem.

How has it helped my organization?

Nakivo is responsible for backing up all of our Office 365 accounts, and it works very well.

It has improved the organization of our data in the system. We have better security in terms of emails and documents, too. After we deployed it to a VMware environment, it worked almost instantly.

Nakivo comes with built-in storage but you can add almost any type of storage to it. This includes options like NAS, NFS, etc. It supports a lot of connection types for backing up to the cloud, and it is continuously growing.

Every new version has got some tweaks and improvements in stability and speed.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is the logical and clean mechanism behind the management console. It's easy to use, with a very clear and logical structure.

It compresses the backed-up data very well, and even after compression, from time to time, you can reclaim space from the backup repository without data loss. It's a very valuable feature.

The first time we set up all the jobs, and ever since, it has handled the daily tasks and manages errors, if it has any.

The Transporter module works well and it is fast, too, over the local area network. It saves us a lot of time, starting with the fast deployment and configuration, through to the daily backup jobs, controlling the processes, and watching the data storage space.

The repository management features are good.

There is a self-healing feature that works great if there is any file system damage that occurs.

What needs improvement?

In the future, I would like to see support for backing up data to more cloud platforms, besides Amazon. It is a great start, given that Amazon is the largest cloud provider, but smaller companies use smaller clouds.

The tape backup capability can be also improved, perhaps by adding a cache for older and slower tapes.

We have been using Nakivo for two months.

It is solid as a rock.

It does not need a lot of computing resources, works silently, and does not need a lot of intervention.

This is a very scalable product.

Technical support for Nakivo is great.

We did not use another similar solution prior to implementing Nakivo.

The initial setup was not complex at all.

Our in-house team deployed it.

It has a very good price in the market.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, my opinion is that this software is good and has improved very well since the previous versions.

Google
reviewer1490964
IT Manager at Smith Neufeld Jodoin LLP
Good scheduling, easy to manage, helpful support, and deduplication saves a lot of space

• "The most valuable feature is the ease of creating a backup copy job to get the backups to a second device."
  • "In the loading of a backup, choosing what to restore seems to be a lengthy process, but it has always worked in my restore tests."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it to back up two VMs on two physical hosts in a VMware 7.0.1 environment. Backing up both to a NAS and to an old SAN that was repurposed as a secondary backup, the devices are located in two different places and connected via fiber.

The system worked well as an app on my Synology NAS until we grew too much, and the NAS didn't have enough memory. No worries though, as Nakivo Backup and Restore has many ways to implement their software, which are all included in your license. I was able to spin up a Nakivo VM and create an iSCSI connection to my NAS, and off we went!

How has it helped my organization?

Backups are easy and it de-duplicates very well, saving lots of space. I never have to worry about whether my backups are working.

Nakvio Backup and Restore handles backup scheduling very well, and it is easy to manage. I have set up numerous schedules for backing up key servers more often than utilitarian servers, and have found that scheduling is easy, especially with the "run after a different backup completes". The lets me schedule one backup, and the rest can follow.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Really not sure about this, because everything works great!

The only complaint I might have is that restoring Exchange and AD objects seem to require some tweaking. So far it has always worked, but I have had to look up the database, rather than have Nakivo Backup and Restore automatically detect it. This is not a big deal.

I have been using Nakivo for three years.

Their tech support, should you need it on the rare occasion, is second to none!

If you have a problem, sending in a ticket right from the web interface is easy. They respond quickly and knowledgeably. They don't demean you if the error is on your side. They help you fix it, and get back up again in short order.

We did use another solution prior to Nakivo, but we switched because of cost and have never looked back.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Nakivo is to make sure you evaluate the options available in each edition. I found that the Pro edition was all that we needed.

All in all, a very good company to deal with. I would highly recommend their backup products, as they work extremely well. The whole product is valuable in every sense of the word. I don't have any real complaints about the product.

reviewer1469676
Help Desk Manager at Alter Solution
Easy to use, helpful dashboard, and the rapid recovery means minimal impact in case of disaster

• "Backups are very easy to implement and schedule, the product is very useful, and the recovery procedure is very extensive and feature-rich."
  • "It would be interesting if it were possible to integrate a mobile app to monitor the system in real-time."

What is our primary use case?

I have been using the Nakivo Suite for a year, mainly for local backup of virtual machines on the ESXi 5.5 platform located on the servers of our company. I perform a daily backup on SNAP NAS with the available option. I also use the dashboard to verify that the backups are working properly.

I'm considering some additional features like Microsoft 365 cloud backup and Microsoft Outlook 365 mailbox backup. The latter feature is available for an additional fee.

Regardless, the product is very good and I think mine was the correct choice.

How has it helped my organization?

The main reasons for choosing and using Nakivo for business backup and recovery management are many but basically lie in the fact that the product is feature-rich and easy to manage and configure.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I liked the most and that I personally found most interesting is the rapid recovery of the VM. This feature is very useful in case of disaster recovery, as in my business scenario, we want to avoid downtime and have a minimal impact on business operations.

Being able to start a virtual machine, in case of emergency, directly from the backup repository, allows me to have more time available to restore the virtual machine. This effectively eliminates the downtime that might inevitably arise.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Nakivo for one year.

Stability-wise, Nakivo is very good.

The scalability is very good, and there are many plans and upgrades available.

Technical support is very good.

We did not use another backup solution prior to Nakivo.

The initial setup is very quick.

I completed the implementation myself.

The product is quite cheap compared to other products on the market, but despite this, it is rich in features both at the level of backup and recovery as well as at the level of additional options.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

When I made the choice of Nakivo, I didn't have many needs in this regard. I was looking for a product that was easy to configure and easy to use, with all of the classic features of a backup and recovery system for corporate virtual machines.

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by all of the functions present within the suite, and in particular, by the fast boot from the backup repository.

JC
Manager
Runs quietly, has a clean interface, and is easy to set up

• "The features that we like the most are the Backup Copy and Active Directory Integration. They have helped us to save a lot of time since we do not have to make the backup copies “by hand”."
  • "There is a lack of native (web-based) update functionality."

What is our primary use case?

We have been using this for six years and it has been one of the applications that I know I can trust.

Setup was easy and a breeze to perform. Past the initial setup stage and additional config changes, there was very little need for me to intervene and interact with the product. It just works!

Other than the occasional recovery, the system will run quietly without problems and if there is any issue, it will send you a notification (not that I had many).

The interface is clean, simple, and easy to use.

How has it helped my organization?

We were looking for a comfortable and automized backup system that makes the backup copies automatically. This is why we decided to use NAKIVO. It fulfils this aspect and many other points that we were looking for on a backup system.

Furthermore, NAKIVO is easy and fast to use and to manage the system and installation is very intuitive and it is easy to follow it. We needed a backup and replication tool that makes the backup copies outside of office hours. We needed something that could be integrated with Active Directory and we needed an updated software with high-quality technical support.

What is most valuable?

One of the features that we like the most from Nakivo software is its interface. It is very intuitive and easy to use once you become familiar with it. Moreover, backup copies can be configured manually and we can do it whenever we want without interrupting the working hours of the clients.

The features that we like the most are the Backup Copy and Active Directory Integration. They have helped us to save a lot of time since we do not have to make the backup copies “by hand”. Furthermore, we have also saved a lot of time whenever we needed to recover a backup.

Active Directory is very important for us in order to manage our informatics system.

What needs improvement?

The web interface is very complete and it has many useful options. When starting to use it, it can be a little difficult to understand every option that it has but, when you get used to it and work with it, it is a very comfortable tool.

There is a lack of native (web-based) update functionality. To update the Linux appliance, you need to download a script and run commands from SSH. This is unacceptable.

There's a lack of appliance format in Hyper-V format (why only a VMware native format? They should release a VHD file appliance).

Overall, the evolution of the product is good.

We've used the solution for six years.

If you ever need their support, they will provide you one of the best experiences.

Their technical staff know their subject and will be able to solve your problems. One of the most satisfying support calls was with their technical support team, kudos and keep up the great work!

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: It Consultant
reviewer1475781
Membro at IT-Group
Reseller
Cost-effective, provides a simple to use and well-structured interface

• "We really appreciate the simplicity of the solution."
  • "What must be improved is the response time to technical support requests."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Nakivo internally for backup/replication and cloud backup of our little datacenter, in a server farm.

Our customers use Nakivo Backup & Replication on a daily basis for backup and recovery of VMs and files. These environments are heterogeneous, as we have many Linux VMs, Windows VMs, and dedicated virtual appliances. This is no issue with the backup and recovery of entire VMs or single files, granularly.

We also appreciate the easy-to-use web interface, and our customers are completely independent in the management of Nakivo.

How has it helped my organization?

Nakivo Backup & Replication reduces the time to set up and configure a backup solution in a VMware environment with many types of backup destination.

Before Nakivo, our technicians spent a lot of time every day assisting end-users or our customers' IT departments. Now, all is very clear and simple.

What is most valuable?

We really appreciate the simplicity of the solution. Every tab in the web interface has a simple target, and everything is structured such that it can be found in a few seconds.

Another great feature of Nakivo Backup & Replication is support for backup to the Wasabi cloud infrastructure. This allows us to offer a complete solution to our customers.

Setup on a NAS device helps us to have a distributed backup solution, in case the customer has many remote offices. We can install a little NAS on the remote site and have a bandwidth-optimized offsite backup.

What needs improvement?

What must be improved is the response time to technical support requests.

We have been using Nakivo for five years.

This product has great stability.

Generally, I don't have issues with Nakivo. The sales department is very responsive to every request and they reply in a few hours. However, technical support could be faster.

Often, as a reply to my email, I receive a message that says "We have received your message and the second level of support will reply to you soon". When they reply fast, at least two days pass!

In case of emergency, where we must recover something and it does not work as we expect, 48 hours to have a reply is too much time.

Nakivo Backup & Replication also have another great value, which is that it is one of the lowest prices on the market. The customer does not need to spend many thousands of Euros, and in the sales phase, we have fewer issues with the CFO or management.

Prior to Nakivo, we tested Acronis, Veeam, and Anexia.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I'm a Nakivo Reseller
PC
Systems engineer and analyst at twsweb
User
Stable, easy to set up and offers perfect functionality

• "Nakivo makes our backs-ups more reliable and easy to recover in case of full damage or partial retrieval of files - all at a convenient cost."
  • "I need no more valuable features for backs-up. I have not yet tried the latest release, however, I have all the features that I need."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for VM replication and backup.

We replicate 6 VMs (both Windows and Linux) from one ESXi host to another ESXi host (VMware) and we make backs-up to a NAS of all 6 VMs with various types of retention. We used Nakivo also to duplicate the VMs for upgrade purposes on the server infrastructure. VMs are both servers and client machines.

How has it helped my organization?

Nakivo makes our backs-ups more reliable and easy to recover in case of full damage or partial retrieval of files - all at a convenient cost. Every time a user asks us for a missing file to be retrieved, we can satisfy his/her request in a few minutes. Notifications of Nakivo make us sure of the accuracy of backup jobs.

What is most valuable?

VM replication is a great solution. Now, I can also duplicate VMs without the need for a vSphere vCenter server. It's with easier ESXi hosts. Also, for system administration purposes (tests, upgrades, etc.) it offers perfect functionality.

What needs improvement?

I have no remarks. I need no more valuable features for backs-up. I have not yet tried the latest release, however, I have all the features that I need. The web interface is very usable and easy to understand, as is the planning of backs-up. The granular recovery is very useful for the ordinary activities of users. I have no comparison with other products, so I can't imagine other features.  No remarkable features are missing for me.

I've used the solution since 2018.

In about 3 years, we have never had stability problems and the appliance has been running 24/7/365.

We have not tested scalability, so I can't give an opinion.

Italian support of the vendor is quite good and competent. Sometimes they are slow to respond.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Our previous backup solution was a self-made server script without replication capabilities and only backed up at a file system level, not at a block level.

It's an easy setup of the appliance.

We implemented via our internal team.

Veem was more (and too) expensive for small companies. Nakivo was at the correct price point.

We also evaluated Veem.

Download our free Nakivo Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.