reviewer1469676
Help Desk Manager at Alter Solution
Easy to use, helpful dashboard, and the rapid recovery means minimal impact in case of disaster

• "Backups are very easy to implement and schedule, the product is very useful, and the recovery procedure is very extensive and feature-rich."
  • "It would be interesting if it were possible to integrate a mobile app to monitor the system in real-time."

What is our primary use case?

I have been using the Nakivo Suite for a year, mainly for local backup of virtual machines on the ESXi 5.5 platform located on the servers of our company. I perform a daily backup on SNAP NAS with the available option. I also use the dashboard to verify that the backups are working properly.

I'm considering some additional features like Microsoft 365 cloud backup and Microsoft Outlook 365 mailbox backup. The latter feature is available for an additional fee.

Regardless, the product is very good and I think mine was the correct choice.

How has it helped my organization?

The main reasons for choosing and using Nakivo for business backup and recovery management are many but basically lie in the fact that the product is feature-rich and easy to manage and configure.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I liked the most and that I personally found most interesting is the rapid recovery of the VM. This feature is very useful in case of disaster recovery, as in my business scenario, we want to avoid downtime and have a minimal impact on business operations.

Being able to start a virtual machine, in case of emergency, directly from the backup repository, allows me to have more time available to restore the virtual machine. This effectively eliminates the downtime that might inevitably arise.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Nakivo for one year.

Stability-wise, Nakivo is very good.

The scalability is very good, and there are many plans and upgrades available.

Technical support is very good.

We did not use another backup solution prior to Nakivo.

The initial setup is very quick.

I completed the implementation myself.

The product is quite cheap compared to other products on the market, but despite this, it is rich in features both at the level of backup and recovery as well as at the level of additional options.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

When I made the choice of Nakivo, I didn't have many needs in this regard. I was looking for a product that was easy to configure and easy to use, with all of the classic features of a backup and recovery system for corporate virtual machines.

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by all of the functions present within the suite, and in particular, by the fast boot from the backup repository.

JC
Manager
Runs quietly, has a clean interface, and is easy to set up

• "The features that we like the most are the Backup Copy and Active Directory Integration. They have helped us to save a lot of time since we do not have to make the backup copies “by hand”."
  • "There is a lack of native (web-based) update functionality."

What is our primary use case?

We have been using this for six years and it has been one of the applications that I know I can trust.

Setup was easy and a breeze to perform. Past the initial setup stage and additional config changes, there was very little need for me to intervene and interact with the product. It just works!

Other than the occasional recovery, the system will run quietly without problems and if there is any issue, it will send you a notification (not that I had many).

The interface is clean, simple, and easy to use.

How has it helped my organization?

We were looking for a comfortable and automized backup system that makes the backup copies automatically. This is why we decided to use NAKIVO. It fulfils this aspect and many other points that we were looking for on a backup system.

Furthermore, NAKIVO is easy and fast to use and to manage the system and installation is very intuitive and it is easy to follow it. We needed a backup and replication tool that makes the backup copies outside of office hours. We needed something that could be integrated with Active Directory and we needed an updated software with high-quality technical support.

What is most valuable?

One of the features that we like the most from Nakivo software is its interface. It is very intuitive and easy to use once you become familiar with it. Moreover, backup copies can be configured manually and we can do it whenever we want without interrupting the working hours of the clients.

The features that we like the most are the Backup Copy and Active Directory Integration. They have helped us to save a lot of time since we do not have to make the backup copies “by hand”. Furthermore, we have also saved a lot of time whenever we needed to recover a backup.

Active Directory is very important for us in order to manage our informatics system.

What needs improvement?

The web interface is very complete and it has many useful options. When starting to use it, it can be a little difficult to understand every option that it has but, when you get used to it and work with it, it is a very comfortable tool.

There is a lack of native (web-based) update functionality. To update the Linux appliance, you need to download a script and run commands from SSH. This is unacceptable.

There's a lack of appliance format in Hyper-V format (why only a VMware native format? They should release a VHD file appliance).

Overall, the evolution of the product is good.

We've used the solution for six years.

If you ever need their support, they will provide you one of the best experiences.

Their technical staff know their subject and will be able to solve your problems. One of the most satisfying support calls was with their technical support team, kudos and keep up the great work!

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: It Consultant
Learn what your peers think about Nakivo. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Luca Robusto
Cloud and Security Architect at ARPITEL S.R.L.
Reduces costs, has good automation, and is scalable

• "The solution is stable; there is no need to retry any sort of jobs in daily operations."
  • "An additional feature that would be appreciated is disaster recovery automation."

What is our primary use case?

We found an outside VMware software to perform critical operations. Since we started using Nakivo Backup and Replication, we can perform operations that would be very expensive using a VMware license.

We use it on our QNAP devices. It covers up to 5 servers in the small environment we have. We can perform operations that were expensive/difficult with very high automation.

How has it helped my organization?

Since we started using Nakivo Backup and Replication, we can perform operations that would be very expensive using a VMware license, for a very very affordable price. Even if our infrastructure should increase in the short term, we can upgrade just the license to cover all the new devices we use.

We use Nakivo Backup and Replication on QNAP devices, and it covers up to 5 servers in a small environment. We can now perform operations that were expensive and difficult with very high automation. We are very satisfied with its capabilities.

What is most valuable?

Being able to back up without using VMware services is for sure the best opportunity we have when there is a disruption impacting VMware products. An additional feature that would be appreciated is disaster recovery automation. it could be improved using vCenter features.

Nakivo Backup and Replication does not have many other background areas where it can be improved, and we are satisfied.

Since we use Nakivo Backup and Replication, we can perform operations that would be very expensive using our VMware license. We are really satisfied.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see backup and replication without using vCenter. That's a feature that would be appreciated. If the vCenter should go down, it would be very difficult to recover the infrastructure, so some solution is needed to avoid restoring vCenter first and then to later restore the virtual machine from Nakivo's Backup and Replication.

An additional feature that would be appreciated is disaster recovery automation. It could be improved using vCenter features.

Nakivo Backup and Replication does not have many other background areas where it can be improved, however, we are mostly satisfied.

We are a cloud provider and we use Nakivo for VMware Backup and Replications, including disaster recovery.

The product is absolutely scalable. You scale according to the number of storage devices you add.

We did not use a different solution prior to implementing this product.

The costs of the product are justified according to the features provided.

We also evaluated Veeam Backup.

Private Cloud
reviewer1475781
Membro at IT-Group
Reseller
Cost-effective, provides a simple to use and well-structured interface

• "We really appreciate the simplicity of the solution."
  • "What must be improved is the response time to technical support requests."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Nakivo internally for backup/replication and cloud backup of our little datacenter, in a server farm.

Our customers use Nakivo Backup & Replication on a daily basis for backup and recovery of VMs and files. These environments are heterogeneous, as we have many Linux VMs, Windows VMs, and dedicated virtual appliances. This is no issue with the backup and recovery of entire VMs or single files, granularly.

We also appreciate the easy-to-use web interface, and our customers are completely independent in the management of Nakivo.

How has it helped my organization?

Nakivo Backup & Replication reduces the time to set up and configure a backup solution in a VMware environment with many types of backup destination.

Before Nakivo, our technicians spent a lot of time every day assisting end-users or our customers' IT departments. Now, all is very clear and simple.

What is most valuable?

We really appreciate the simplicity of the solution. Every tab in the web interface has a simple target, and everything is structured such that it can be found in a few seconds.

Another great feature of Nakivo Backup & Replication is support for backup to the Wasabi cloud infrastructure. This allows us to offer a complete solution to our customers.

Setup on a NAS device helps us to have a distributed backup solution, in case the customer has many remote offices. We can install a little NAS on the remote site and have a bandwidth-optimized offsite backup.

What needs improvement?

What must be improved is the response time to technical support requests.

We have been using Nakivo for five years.

This product has great stability.

Generally, I don't have issues with Nakivo. The sales department is very responsive to every request and they reply in a few hours. However, technical support could be faster.

Often, as a reply to my email, I receive a message that says "We have received your message and the second level of support will reply to you soon". When they reply fast, at least two days pass!

In case of emergency, where we must recover something and it does not work as we expect, 48 hours to have a reply is too much time.

Nakivo Backup & Replication also have another great value, which is that it is one of the lowest prices on the market. The customer does not need to spend many thousands of Euros, and in the sales phase, we have fewer issues with the CFO or management.

Prior to Nakivo, we tested Acronis, Veeam, and Anexia.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I'm a Nakivo Reseller
PC
Systems engineer and analyst at twsweb
User
Stable, easy to set up and offers perfect functionality

• "Nakivo makes our backs-ups more reliable and easy to recover in case of full damage or partial retrieval of files - all at a convenient cost."
  • "I need no more valuable features for backs-up. I have not yet tried the latest release, however, I have all the features that I need."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for VM replication and backup.

We replicate 6 VMs (both Windows and Linux) from one ESXi host to another ESXi host (VMware) and we make backs-up to a NAS of all 6 VMs with various types of retention. We used Nakivo also to duplicate the VMs for upgrade purposes on the server infrastructure. VMs are both servers and client machines.

How has it helped my organization?

Nakivo makes our backs-ups more reliable and easy to recover in case of full damage or partial retrieval of files - all at a convenient cost. Every time a user asks us for a missing file to be retrieved, we can satisfy his/her request in a few minutes. Notifications of Nakivo make us sure of the accuracy of backup jobs.

What is most valuable?

VM replication is a great solution. Now, I can also duplicate VMs without the need for a vSphere vCenter server. It's with easier ESXi hosts. Also, for system administration purposes (tests, upgrades, etc.) it offers perfect functionality.

What needs improvement?

I have no remarks. I need no more valuable features for backs-up. I have not yet tried the latest release, however, I have all the features that I need. The web interface is very usable and easy to understand, as is the planning of backs-up. The granular recovery is very useful for the ordinary activities of users. I have no comparison with other products, so I can't imagine other features.  No remarkable features are missing for me.

I've used the solution since 2018.

In about 3 years, we have never had stability problems and the appliance has been running 24/7/365.

We have not tested scalability, so I can't give an opinion.

Italian support of the vendor is quite good and competent. Sometimes they are slow to respond.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Our previous backup solution was a self-made server script without replication capabilities and only backed up at a file system level, not at a block level.

It's an easy setup of the appliance.

We implemented via our internal team.

Veem was more (and too) expensive for small companies. Nakivo was at the correct price point.

We also evaluated Veem.

Richard Goldstein
President and CEO at DimenXional Cloud Technologies
Great for whitelisting, competitively priced, and has great features

• "Most valuable for DimenXional Cloud is the API provided by Nakivo which allows us to implement the software in all types of solutions."
  • "While the solution provides mostly what we need, it would be ideal if there were some additional feature capabilities for the API."

What is our primary use case?

Nakivo software is available on a white-label basis. The DimenXional Cloud product with our enhancements is called WatchDog-BaaS for Backup as a Service. DimenXional Cloud has also developed WatchDog-DRaaS, which is Disaster Recovery as a Service. The white-label solution provides the API capabilities that DimenXional Cloud not get from other suppliers of this type of software. The finished solutions are bundled with the tasks for our market. The DimenXional Cloud (Very Small Business) market doesn't care what name is on it. They care about if it works or not and if it is reliable. Above all, our markets want to know that the software is easy to use and it has the right price.

What is most valuable?

1. Most valuable for DimenXional Cloud is the API provided by Nakivo which allows us to implement the software in all types of solutions.

2. It has all the features we need for our customer base.

3. The solution is very competitively priced.

What needs improvement?

While the solution provides mostly what we need, it would be ideal if there were some additional feature capabilities for the API.

I can't really specify which features are missing, as they've done everything that we've asked for so far. Our plate is full of getting what they've done into the marketplace. It's going to take us another two, three months to do that, including engineering work and testing and that type of stuff. I wouldn't be able to answer the question of if there are missing features for at least another three to six months.

We haven't been using the solution for too long.

DimenXional Cloud started our programs with Nakivo in the past year.

We used Veeam, and we still have legacy systems that use Veeam. We are switching because of the price advantage Nakivo provides.

If we're talking about Veeam, it costs us 30% more to do what we are doing. That 30% made us uncompetitive. Nakivo has allowed us to price the product about 10-15% below the competition, and that's significant when you are talking about small dollars. With COVID-19 and the current market conditions, it's important to be very competitive.

What other advice do I have?

We're part of the RESA MSP program. It's basically a partnership with the solution.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a nine or a ten. They've been a very good product so far. It's basically everything we need.

System Administrator at tech
Easy to update with good scheduling and cost-effective pricing

• "The updates are problem-free, so we can keep Nakivo up to date on the server and NAS too."
  • "The only thing we have encountered that we would like to see improved in the future are error messages. They could be more detailed and helpful, without the need to send logs to support. Failing that, the part of the log related to the error could be displayed alongside the error message, so I can investigate the error without looking through all of those logs that I'm able to download."

What is our primary use case?

In our SMB we started using NAKIVO as our main backup solution for backing up mainly Hyper-V VMs. It's installed directly on our QNAP NAS. Only one system administrator uses it. We use features like scheduled backups, deduplication, retention, and app-aware mode for some VMs.

Our environment has only one Hyper-V server with five Windows Servers plus one Linux VM, which runs a license server, authentification server, active directory, application servers, communication+git server, and the database server with server application for production process management.

How has it helped my organization?

The Nakivo solution provided us with the ability to do automatic scheduled app-aware backups with great deduplication and compression, so they don't overload our local area network and don't require a lot of storage space.

Having reliable backups is a must for us, and Nakivo provided us with an easy-to-use solution, that offers fast implementation, initialization, and configuration. The restore function works great. Thanks to Nakivo we can do our business 24/7/365.

The Nakivo solution was very economical, so my CEO is happy with it.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is Nakivo's flexibility in the server platform. We use it directly on our QNAP network-attached storage, so it can run regardless of the Hyper-V server. We also like its very good deduplication and compression, so it doesn't overload our network.

The scheduling is also very well done in Nakivo. Automatic backups are a must for us because we don't have enough time to perform manual backups.

What needs improvement?

The only thing we have encountered that we would like to see improved in the future are error messages. They could be more detailed and helpful, without the need to send logs to support. Failing that, the part of the log related to the error could be displayed alongside the error message, so I can investigate the error without looking through all of those logs that I'm able to download. In the future, I'll be glad for implementing AI that could automatically assume what backup plan and retention do we need.

We've used the solution for one year and few days.

We looked at Veeam. However, Nakivo was more flexible and cost-effective.

DK
Owner at Bit and Bytes
User
Enables our team to react in a really short time if a backup doesn't work correctly

• "The fact that it works with Synology is a big valuable point. Also, that we can check the functionality of a backup so easily. Cloud integration is valuable because the ability to not only backup locally, but to the cloud, has been a great addition to the already fantastic product. We can save so much time with Nakivo and are very happy that we found it and loved to use it for our solutions."
  • "The way encryption is currently working could be improved. Currently, it's not possible to encrypt the backup to an NFS share directly. It needs to have the encryption within the Transporter/VM to enable encryption, which isn't optimal. So I'm hoping that in the near future this function will be implemented."

What is our primary use case?

We use Nakivo as a great addition to our client's VMware environment for backups. We have multiple clients and were looking for an easy backup solution. We were looking for a product that is easy and simple to use. This product perfectly fit and ended up becoming a mainstay in our portfolio of products that we can't live without. We have had several instances where Nakivo has really shined and helped us to recover from potential issues very quickly. Nakivo hasn't only met those expectations, it's surpassed them!

How has it helped my organization?

For our portfolio management services, Nakivo is simply perfect. Our team can react in a really short time if a backup doesn't work correctly. When we need a backup or only some files, it is really easy to restore and fix the problems. It is absolutely a time win and has improved our reaction times. Our clients are very happy and it is perfect that Nakivo runs perfectly with Synology disk drives.

Our technicians don't want to miss it anymore and if a client doesn't want to backup with Nakivo, then the backup is the client's problem.

What is most valuable?

The fact that it works with Synology is a big valuable point. Also, that we can check the functionality of a backup so easily. Cloud integration is valuable because the ability to not only backup locally, but to the cloud, has been a great addition to the already fantastic product. We can save so much time with Nakivo and are very happy that we found it and loved to use it for our solutions.

Last but not least the support is absololutly perfect. Every time we had a problem they helped us instantly.

What needs improvement?

I see two things that could improve:

• The way encryption is currently working could be improved. Currently, it's not possible to encrypt the backup to an NFS share directly. It needs to have the encryption within the Transporter/VM to enable encryption, which isn't optimal. So I'm hoping that in the near future this function will be implemented.
  • Sometimes there is strange UI behavior with changes not being saved without any good message as to why.

But those are only small points and they are not very painful.

We have been using Nakivo for two years.

Download our free Nakivo Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.