National Instruments (NI) Oscilloscopes Overview

National Instruments (NI) Oscilloscopes is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Oscilloscope vendors. It is most often compared to Keysight Oscilloscopes: National Instruments (NI) Oscilloscopes vs Keysight Oscilloscopes

What is National Instruments (NI) Oscilloscopes?

Turning powerful possibilities into real solutions with our open, software-defined platform for automated test and automated measurement systems.

National Instruments (NI) Oscilloscopes is also known as NI Oscilloscopes.

National Instruments (NI) Oscilloscopes Buyer's Guide

Download the National Instruments (NI) Oscilloscopes Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2020

National Instruments (NI) Oscilloscopes Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about National Instruments (NI) Oscilloscopes pricing:
  • "It's reasonably priced for what we spend our money on in the lab. It's one of the lower-end purchases."
  • "These products are a very low-cost, effective alternative to traditional Big Iron ATE hardware."
  • "I have saved almost 50 percent of my total budget for a project by using their products."
  • "They have an initial investment cost, which is quite high. But, along the way, there is so much behind it that the product is really invaluable."
  • "It's a bit expensive. However, you get the entire package, not just the box. It's a box which supports older releases."
  • "The price is a little steep. A lot of people, like our customers, use a different machine because of the price. The price has to come down a bit so we can do other tests without paying the equipment's high costs."
  • "The pricing was good. Compared to the others, it was very good."
  • "I would like more competitive pricing."

National Instruments (NI) Oscilloscopes Reviews

SignalInc769
Signal Integrity Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Feb 25, 2019
With just a push of a button, I can test hundreds of different scenarios

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the automation of testing. I just started at the company, so I haven't been doing a lot of development on LabVIEW lately. However, it will go into our high-speed serial, PCIe, and DVR 5 automation.

• "I can automate a lot of testing very quickly. With just a push of a button, I can test hundreds of different scenarios without having to do all that manual testing myself."
  • "It saves me a lot of time. You can click a button and walk away, basically doing a week's worth of work in 20 minutes, it's a pretty good time saver."
  • "It took a good year until I felt proficient using the product, as It is a complex program. Their newest version has a less steep learning curve, but back closer to 15 years ago, it was a lot less user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

We are not using this product to support connected devices for IoT development. We are measuring high-speed, differential, and DVR signals. I say, "Go ahead and purchase LabVIEW. I give it two thumbs up. It's very reasonably priced for the amount of time that it saves you."
Applicat5b69
Applications Engineer at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
A very low-cost, effective alternative to traditional Big Iron ATE hardware

What is our primary use case?

We design test hardware using the STS system by National Instruments. It's for testing IoT products.

• "It took us less than a week to get integrated into the solution, which is very fast."
  • "National Instruments needs to be focusing on its 5G RF applications. They are aware of this, and that's where most of their R&D is going."

What other advice do I have?

The product is good and mature. Know your end product and what you need to do before you invest in the system. You need to be sure that it will work for you because it is a low-cost alternative. The application space that this solution targets is semi-conductor tests. This is a system for testing computer chips. We use it to measure the following signals: RF, analog, and digital. The signals enable IoT and RF products, and also MEMS sensor devices.
Find out what your peers are saying about National Instruments, Keysight Technologies, Fluke Corporation and others in Oscilloscopes. Updated: December 2020.
455,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SeniorEn6bfd
Senior Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 24, 2019

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is automated production testing. We also use it for lateral pretesting before we go for qualification. We do extensive testing to check if there are any problems with it. We use a modular box where you can slot in your cuts or combine it with your National Instruments software to run automated programs to test systems.

• "We haven't need technical support yet because all documentation is well done and there."
  • "The integrated lateral view makes it easier to develop your test systems and test software flow."
  • "There is a learning curve. It might take a year if you're not well-versed with it."

What other advice do I have?

The application space that this solution targets is 5G and high-speed systems. 5G is where we are developing some chips to test whether it prequalifies for a necessary requirement before we embed it into our box. Then, in high-speed systems, we're still figuring out how exactly we're going to test this out, but it should be also on prequalification. We are not using this product to support connected devices for IoT development nor are we planning to going forward. We are measuring millimeter wave signals. My colleague deals with the automation of the test systems. The user interface is okay.
Armando Arenai
Senior Technical Officer at a aerospace/defense firm with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 27, 2019

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for control units, user interfaces, and machine controls. I am using multiple types of this product: RF, digital, and analog. The application space that the solution targets is military.

• "The learning curve was really fast, which was also the reason for saving a lot on the budget."
  • "The user interface is absolutely great. It creates an easy working environment because it has well-integrated hardware and software. So, it is easy to use."
  • "I would like to have more RF. They're going that way, but still there is some work that they have to do."

What other advice do I have?

The use of this solution does require a specific mindset. Some people are not tailored for it. Try it. The learning curve is really fast, so it's easy to use. We are measuring RF signals, one-sided analog signals, and control loops for system controls. We are not using this product to support connected devices nor are we planning to going forward.
TexInsd8d0
Test Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Feb 24, 2019
Knowing the signal quality going into and coming out of a device helps in debugging

What is our primary use case?

I have used a couple of National Instruments products. I use them for probing high-speed signals. For us, the product targets high-speed serial applications, such as PAN4 signaling. We are measuring NRZ signals for high-speed internet. We are not utilizing the full bandwidth.

• "Most of the features are on the screen itself. The naming convention makes it very easy to understand what is needed."
  • "I would like to see more of a tasking user base and documentation inside the instrument itself, rather than having to go online for it."

What other advice do I have?

Using this product is helpful, so I would recommend it to people at any other company. There is not much of a learning curve; maybe a few days. I, myself, have not used the device for the connection of IoT devices, but we do have plans to do so. I would rate the product at eight out of ten. Better documentation and a touchscreen display would be nice.
Reviewer7d57
User at a tech vendor
Feb 24, 2019
It has turnkey operations. Just turn on a machine, put your stuff in, and you can test right away.

What is our primary use case?

We use it to QA the hardware.

• "It helps us to save on our investment with a lot of the stuff that we buy, as we can find defects quickly."

What other advice do I have?

Consider the cost of the capital investment before purchasing. It does not take that long to learn. A high school graduate can learn how to operate the machine. It is not that hard. The application space that this solution targets is mostly data centers and module servers. We are using it to measure speed and capacity. We are not using this product to support connected devices for IoT development nor are we planning to going forward. We don't really utilize the user interface.
    Consulta79d2
    Consultant at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Feb 24, 2019
    Easy to use and operate for the testing and designing of PCBs and motherboards

What is our primary use case?

I used different models, either the multifunctional testers or the scopes. I used them for testing of PCBs and finish goods; mainly for the design of the PCBs, motherboards, and for communication. I measured communication signals, the timings, whatever goes into a motherboard. I utilized the full bandwidth.

• "The user interface is very good, easy to understand, and easy to operate."
    • "I would like to see them increase the productivity and auxiliary functions."

What other advice do I have?

Go with their products. They are reliable, the price is good, and you get good service. There was no learning curve. It was easy to use. It took a day to learn it. The solution was also field-upgradable. With the advance of technology, with 5G coming to the market, there's a need for more speed and more complex types of testing. I would rate the product at nine out of ten because it is top-of-the-line as far as the service and product go.
    Robert Mangayan
    Supply Chain Manager at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Feb 25, 2019

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is it is an integral board to our system. The application space that we are using the solution to target is high-speed.

• "The user interface is very good. Their boards are reliable. We buy boards from them, they are reliable, and we don't have problems with them."
    • "I would like more speed and a reduction in size."

What other advice do I have?

They are good on delivery and their boards are reliable, but their pricing is not that competitive. We are using this product to support connect devices.
    See 2 more National Instruments (NI) Oscilloscopes Reviews
    Product Categories
    Oscilloscopes
    Download our free Oscilloscopes Report and find out what your peers are saying about National Instruments, Keysight Technologies, Fluke Corporation, and more!