NetAlly EtherScope nXG Overview

NetAlly EtherScope nXG is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Network Diagnostics tools. It is most often compared to AirCheck: NetAlly EtherScope nXG vs AirCheck

What is NetAlly EtherScope nXG?

Multi-technology, all-in-one handheld network tester that enables engineers and technicians to get more done faster, from deployment to maintenance and documentation of their ever-changing Wi-Fi and Ethernet access networks.

NetAlly EtherScope nXG is also known as EtherScope nXG, EtherScope, netAlly EtherScope.

NetAlly EtherScope nXG Buyer's Guide

Download the NetAlly EtherScope nXG Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

NetAlly EtherScope nXG Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about NetAlly EtherScope nXG pricing:
  • "If you're in the networking world, this product makes great sense very quickly, if you're going to use it more than a few times a week... If you are just looking at a handheld device unit for specific, wireless or wired testing and not much else, the cost may be a little more prohibitive than what you have in your budget."
  • "For the average network shop, the cost is a bit high. In a lot of organizations, people don't share test devices between teams. Generally, you need a device for the network team and a device for the system team, the security team, etc. While the cost is a little on the high side, that is offset by the regular updates and continued improvements that NetAlly adds to the device. Those improvements continue to increase the perceived value of the device."
  • "I don't consider the pricing to be a problem. It's not a cheap device, but it's a very capable device for the money. It's a good value."
  • "The cost is not cheap but it totally pays for itself because it can do so much."
  • "It's a pricey device, but I see value in it from a business perspective."
  • "We paid for the additional maintenance on it (for an extra year) to get that extra coverage. This was the first time that we had this solution in-house, and it was pretty pricey. So, we wanted to make sure that anything went wrong, then we could get it repaired."
  • "The stuff is expensive. I really do wish the price would come down. I don't really call support. I haven't had a problem. But it's really expensive and every year I have to pay them a ton of money. I don't want to make up reasons to justify that cost, but I'm not using the support."
  • "It's very expensive. I wish I could buy a few more and give them to all the people who could use it, or perhaps send it to a client, given that some of its features are easy to use. But sending something worth $8,000 or $9,000 is nerve-racking. It would be nice that if it were a lot less expensive."

NetAlly EtherScope nXG Reviews

Scott_Smith
Independent Consultant at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
May 27, 2020
Does packet capture at line rate gig or 10 gig without dropping a packet

What is our primary use case?

We have used it for 10 gigabit performance testing. Originally, when we first got the device, for about the first three to four months, that was exclusively how it was used, in a heavy-use environment. We had some new 10 Gb equipment that we were stress testing, but we also wanted to confirm that things were working. We had just gotten the nXG product in our hands, so what better use of it? After that point, we have used it a lot for wireless, day-to-day operations, and troubleshooting. We've used it for some specific Linux server test-bed scenarios, with different functions tied to it. We've… more »

• "In terms of the solution's full line rate 10-gigabit capability, my other 10 Gb test equipment is much bigger, bulkier, and heavier. One of my ways of assessing the nXG was to compare it with what I knew to be tried and true on 10-gig to make sure that they matched, and they did. It very quickly got my trust. The fact that it can do 10 Gb, without dropping a packet from what I've seen so far — and we used it a lot in that first three months — tells a pretty good story."
  • "One of the biggest pros of AirMapper is that you just hit upload to the cloud and you can use anything with a web browser to look at it and manipulate it, view it, and even share it. The fact that you can review it now on any computer that has web access is phenomenal, versus using the client. That's been fantastic."
  • "When it works, I love the AirMapper Site Survey app. Currently, my device has a hardware bug that the manufacturer and I are working on actively, to get it fixed or replaced. The 5 gigahertz radio on my device is flaky at best... It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the product itself, as much as it is some kind of unique hardware problem."

What other advice do I have?

We don't use it day-to-day because of the way our company is structured, and its use cases in our business. But we certainly use it once or twice a week, fairly regularly. It has definitely become one of our go-to tools in just about any scenario, whether we're walking or running out the door to a customer's site. I use the solution's pre-programmed AutoTest feature and I've got my own that I built, as well. I use both. But in my environment, the equipment that it plugs into has very little in the way of discovery functionality and options. In the majority of my environment, that functionality…
Jonathan-Davis
Senior Network Engineer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sep 2, 2020
It's easy to hand this solution to someone else and get them to provide consistent results

What is our primary use case?

I use it regularly for both wired and wireless troubleshooting, performance testing, and verification. I am a customer and beta tester for NetAlly.

• "When it comes to that remote troubleshooting perspective of being able to survey an area to see if there are problems, make adjustments, and then have that same individual resurvey that same area, I don't have to send people to a week long class on how to use the device. I know I am getting consistent results, which can verify near real-time, and whether or not the changes that I have implemented solve the problem."
  • "I would love to see port profiles. This is something I've expressed to them. The ability for a technician to plug it into a switch port, and say, "Okay, this port will be an access point or this port will be a phone and desktop PC," thus choosing a profile. It will then push a configuration to the device it's connected to and verify that the switch port is correctly configured, so I can hand this to a phone tech who doesn't have any access to a network switch to be able to make changes. They can go out and plug this into a port, then they are able to push a profile to the switch port through the device. That would be pretty fantastic as a next step for this device."

What other advice do I have?

I would tell other engineers to decide what their total testing needs are: * To resolve whether or not they need wired and wireless testing? * Do they need to be able to test copper and fiber? * Do they need to be able to test just pure physical and verify that the cabling is correctly installed? Or, do they need to be able to test Layers 2, 3, and 4, as far as verifying that the network is fully functioning and network services are available? * Is the Internet available in their internal servers and external servers? Is it responding? I would tell them to look at what they need to test, then…
Learn what your peers think about NetAlly EtherScope nXG. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
465,623 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1349703
Test Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
May 21, 2020
Enhances our efficiency, our ability to perform tests and debug test environments quickly

What is our primary use case?

We are a group that tests WiFi routers and interaction between those routers and client devices, such as laptops, etc. We use these NetAlly devices pretty extensively for getting a third-party view of what's going on over the air. We use it primarily for its WiFi-related features, such as looking at what channels are being used, what other access points are on the air nearby. At times we use it at a customer's location in real-world settings, and at other times we use it in the lab when we're creating our own scenarios. It helps us confirm what's in the air.

• "One of the key measurements that we use out of the device is the channel utilization measurement, how much traffic is on the air in a given channel. That's the most valuable feature for us. The ability to make a very fast measurement of how much traffic is on the air is a key value. Otherwise we'd have to do a packet capture and do some analysis. It speeds up our testing."
  • "The one thing that it doesn't do well, when it's doing airtime utilization measurements, is that it will classify things as non-802.11, and that isn't correct. What it could do better is make sure that it classifies all traffic that's in the air correctly."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be "use it." Get a demo and try it to see how effective it is at identifying, for WiFi situations, what's going on in the air around you. Try it out, go debug something with it. If you are someone in the business of being in the field, day in and day out, try out all of the interfaces on it. If you're a person who has to debug a variety of different network issues every day — Ethernet, WiFi, fiber — I would definitely encourage you to to try it out. It's very capable. It doesn't do MoCA — that's coax cable — which is important to our market space, but for most network…
Ryan Ulrick
Consulting Engineer at CDW
Oct 19, 2020
Multi-media technology gives me the flexibility to reliably test copper, fiber and wireless network infrastructure at the push of a button.

What is our primary use case?

I currently work as an Enterprise and Data Center Network Consultant. Because of that I’m in a wide variety of customer environments that change constantly. The flexibility of the nXG allows me to keep it with me, no matter where I am and know I have the resource to perform wired, copper or fiber, and wireless network testing. This flexibility allows me to have instill my customers with confidence after an install that their network services are available and functioning as expected.

• "The whole product is valuable because it's really a bunch of features that make up the one testing utility. Between auto tests, wireless assessments, its ability to do iPerf speed and traffic testing, as well as packet captures — all of those really contribute to a very successful product and allow me to do my job in a better manner."
  • "The only improvement I can come up with is the battery life. If they could improve the battery life, that would be great."

What other advice do I have?

If you're on the fence reach out to your regional account representative within NetAlly and request a demo of the product before anything else. It is a solid enough product that seeing it in use, even within a NetAlly demo, makes it very clear to many customers and many technical decision-makers how valuable a product like this can be in an organization. Its value is very easily shown and very easily understood by a wide variety of people. Requesting that demo and looking at it before purchasing is always a great step, but it will definitely reinforce the decision to do so. Also, read the…
Andrii Danylov
Systems Engineer at IT Management Corp
Aug 31, 2020
Improves our workflow by quickly identifying the network details we need, saving us time

What is our primary use case?

Our company is an IT integrator and we have a lot of work on different kinds of IP networks. We deploy networks, we troubleshoot them, and we optimize them. The EtherScope is very useful in our day-to-day activities when we are onsite too, for example, to check the network drop, which port is on the switch, and to see all the details about the switch. We also use it to test cables for any kind of damage. It tests all eight wires in the internet cable. It has a small dongle that you can put on the other side of the cable and know the exact length and condition of the cable. We also use it for… more »

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to identify the switchboards, when you plug the EtherScope into the network drop, and all other details about the switch. This is very useful because when you are not in that IDF or network closet but far away from that switch, you can identify the board and then configure the board for your needs, remotely."
  • "There are some inconsistencies in how it uploads the test results to the cloud, but it might just need a minor improvement on the software side. When you don't have an internet connection on the EtherScope when you do the testing, it saves the results into memory. When it has an internet connection, it uploads those results, but it doesn't work all the time. Sometimes, you need to manually push it."

What other advice do I have?

It's a great tool for network troubleshooting. It's an awesome tool. The biggest lesson I have learned from using this solution is that this is the tool to discover the issue. It's not that it helps to find something new but there are ways to discover the network details in a very efficient way and that's what EtherScope nXG offers.
Wayne Inniss
Field Support Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 29, 2020
Eliminates the need for external resources to help troubleshoot

What is our primary use case?

We use it to troubleshoot network cabling issues as well as identify network ports and network connectivity issues from the end user to the switch. It is a device that helps us test cables and network connectivity.

• "It has reduced our internal troubleshooting time. In the cases where we could not internally solve the troubleshooting, we would have had to contact an external vendor to test cable, rerun it, etc. NetAlly EtherScope has let us eliminate that in most cases so we can resolve an issue on our own without having to call a third-party out to identify the problem. It has reduced our troubleshooting time for network cabling issues by a good 75 percent."
  • "The battery life could be better. There have been a couple of times that I used it and put it down, then I went to pick it up and the battery was dead. So, I need to take the power cord with me in order to continue using it."

What other advice do I have?

Buy it. It is worth it. I have gotten more insight into what we are doing using the solution along with more information to make better decisions in regards to troubleshooting or wireless. We use it anytime that we have network trouble. Now, it's one of the first tools that we pull up if we are having network connectivity issues. The first thing the we do, "Let's get NetAlly and test the cable to the switch." If someone picks up the tool, then forgets to put it back. Usually, we hear about it, they are like, "Hey, where's the NetAlly, I know it is being used?" The multi-technology…
Ken Knotek
Owner at Camber Integration
Aug 27, 2020
When providing WiFi for hackathons or at high-end corporate events, I'm able to find the rogues really quickly

What is our primary use case?

I use it primarily to troubleshoot wireless WiFi networks. I look for channel interference, I look for signal level problems, and I channel-ize things on the fly with it, very successfully. I use it at least once a week. It depends on the jobs, as I do all kinds of different jobs. Sometimes I'll use it every day during the course of a job. Sometimes I'll use it just to analyze an existing system, to define what needs to be fixed or addressed. I also use it just to double check that what I install is the way it's supposed to be, as far as channelization and signal levels go. I have the unit… more »

• "The most valuable part is absolutely being able to assess existing WiFi networks quickly. You get very powerful details of networks, details that you couldn't see unless you had multiple pieces of software and hardware. This does it all in one thing."
  • "There is room for improvement in the battery life and price."

What other advice do I have?

The EtherScope is such a unique tool. Everyone is going to use different features for different purposes. I am more WiFi oriented. Regarding the unit's multi-technology functionality, I'm not using it too much on the wired side. I do have a lot of tools. Much of the time, when I'm doing wired troubleshooting, it's just simple continuity tasks more than anything. I use the EtherScope for WiFi more than anything, but it is nice to have the wired abilities when needed. I have used the AirMapper Site Survey app once, just last week. I did not use it fully. I just used it to do a quick assessment…
Diego A.
Network Engineer at a engineering company with 10,001+ employees
Dec 16, 2020
Pre-programmed AutoTest feature is good, checking all the necessary parameters

What is our primary use case?

I use it for WiFi troubleshooting, network validation, and cabling validation.

• "The most valuable features are the WiFi troubleshooting, network validation, and cabling validation, and the fact that it's an all-in-one tool. You don't have to carry different tools. The multi-technology functionality and its ability to do WiFi and wired Ethernet analysis in one device are the best aspects."
  • "The user interface could be a little bit more streamlined, a little bit easier. Sometimes it's hard to find a specific thing that you're looking for. In terms of hardware-based improvement, the battery would be the biggest issue. The battery goes out very quickly."

What other advice do I have?

I've been using it quite often, several times a week; sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on what's happening.
See 1 more NetAlly EtherScope nXG Reviews