NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) Overview

What is NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS)?

NetApp AFF8000 All Flash FAS systems combine all-flash performance with unified data management from flash to disk to cloud.  Leverage the Data Fabric to move data securely across your choice of clouds—enabled by Cloud ONTAP™ and NetApp Private Storage for Cloud. Plus, you get the industry’s most efficient and comprehensive integrated data protection suite, on premises or in the cloud.

NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) is also known as NetApp All Flash FAS, NetApp AFF, NetApp Flash FAS.

NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) Buyer's Guide

Download the NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) Customers
Acibadem Healthcare Group, AmTrust Financial Services, Citrix Systems, DWD, Mantra Group
NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) Video

NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS) Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Alberto Alberti
Senior System Engineer at ICTeam
Reseller
Feb 21, 2019
It offers reliability, multi-tenancy and network segmentation

What is our primary use case?

VMware multi-tenant and SnapMirror destination, multi customers' filesystem too, no problem with multi AD and domain

What other advice do I have?

good deduplication and compression ratio
Rostislav Rusev
COO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Jan 21, 2019
It has a high quality of integration that is way beyond the competition

How has it helped my organization?

It has a high quality of integration that is way beyond the competition.

What is most valuable?

Its efficiency and scalability are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

The scaling needs improvement. NetApp is limited for scaling options.

With other options, you need to buy a couple of different products to achieve the same outcome.

What other advice do I have?

In comparison to other options, NetApp is the most complete. It is the single software choice that can give you every option that you need in the enterprise world.
Learn what your peers think about NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
464,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.
TahirAli
Chief Enterprise Architect at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 3, 2019
Rendering of FAS is so much faster than what they used to be and restore is twenty times faster

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for AFF is for all of the filers. We're also doing a lot of workloads for virtualization. All of our virtualization workloads are currently running on All Flash FAS.

• "The most valuable features for AFF are the speed, durability, back up, the time, the workloads that we are using currently are much faster than what they used to be. We're getting a lot of different things out of All Flash."
  • "The bad part about having scalability is the expense. It is currently extremely expensive, to be able to scale so fast on flash."

What other advice do I have?

I don't think anybody is doing a NAS solution or a filer solution better than NetApp. If you only talk about NetApp's filer, All Flash, I would give you it a nine and ten out of ten. It's one of the best of the breed currently in the market.
Greg Weld
Senior CI Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 30, 2018
Extremely stable systems with solid performance and big scalability possibilities

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case that we have for NetApp's All Flash FAS is for on-premise storage that we've used for presenting LANs, NFS, and SIF shares for servers for analytics and ESX data storage.

• "Previously we had migrated from Dell EMC and we had a lot of difficulties moving data around. Now, if we need to move it to any slower storage, we can move it with just a vault move within the cluster. Even moving data between clusters is extremely simple using SnapMirror. The mobility options for data in All Flash FAS have been awesome."
  • "As for AFF itself, I don't have any suggestions of what I would be excited about seeing. I think that adding the support for the rest of APIs to AFF would be super handy. I think it's something that we've been waiting for for a while which would be fantastic."

What other advice do I have?

I give AFF a ten out of ten because there are amazing features on it. It's extremely fast, it's extremely usable, and the support's fantastic. I would advise someone considering AFF as a possibility for storage, I would tell them to look at all the features, positives and negatives of all the other storage vendors. In the past year, I've done an evaluation of a lot of different storage vendors and their features. The cost-effectiveness of their products and NetApp have come far ahead of all the others and so don't just buy into somebody from NetApp telling you these are all the great things…
Jaime Cogua
Senior Unix Storage Engineer at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 30, 2018
Excellent user experience, the speed enables initiatives to include more databases and reports in the all flash

What is our primary use case?

Our primary usage for All Flash is for the Oracle Database.

• "NetApp tech support is so good. Their tech support has always been so stable and the people are so good in case of any failure or any good feature that needs to be updated or features that supposedly can help with performance to improve some performance. NetApp support is one of the best that I deal with."
  • "I would like to see the ability to include more applications from applications to managed storage. If we can have more applications or more interface in more applications, that would be great."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a ten for the huge improvement in performance between All Flash and the hybrid storage to the All Flash with the ONTAP 9. From 8.2 to 8.3 to 9, the performance is almost double. Ten is the best answer I can give.
StorageE2e33
Storage Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Dec 30, 2018
Robust hardware, simplistic and deploys easily

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for its speed. We're using the AFF as a cache disk. We have terabytes of data that we have to move quickly off a system. The only way we could do that is with the 40 gig backbone that all-flash array provides and the speed of the disks.

• "Scalability is excellent. If we need more space, it's a no downtime solution. It's harder to get the funding than it is to get the solution itself."
  • "I come tech support with difficulty because I installed NetApp for many years I know what to expect when I call. When I don't get their support tech that I'm expecting and I'm trying to get to the right one, it can get very frustrating for me personally, trying to all-flash push my way into the right person. NetApp has the right people, it's just a matter of getting to them."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the product at least an eight. I should give it a nine, if not a ten, but there's always room for improvement. I would tell someone considering this solution that it's expensive, but it's worth the money. You're going to get the speed and the backbones that you need to accomplish what you do. If you need that kind of speed and that kind of performance, you can get it out of the AFF.
PyldItgrn734
Payload Integration at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 27, 2018
Reduces the time to move data around as well as boot and migrate VMs

What is our primary use case?

AFF is our primary source for our data centers. We use it for our multi-tenancy data center. We like the crypto erase function available on the SSDs and we needed the high performance, IOPs that you can get from SSDs.

• "This solution makes everything a lot faster. The time to move data around, boot and migrate VMs is much faster."
  • "I need faster Fibre Channel over Ethernet. They top out at 10GBs today and I would like that to go to 40 or 100."

What other advice do I have?

The user experience is the same as it ever was, only faster. I would rate this solution as a nine. It's not a ten because we would like to see the faster speeds on the Fibre Channel over Ethernet. AFF is definitely a good product.
Sonu Parmar
IT Manager at TELUS Corporation
Nov 26, 2018
When we move to all-flash, our response times were reduced to microseconds

What is our primary use case?

We use it for NFS and CIFS to structure data. We have about a couple of petabytes of all-flash.

• "When we move to all-flash, our response times were reduced to microseconds."
  • "It has improved performance for our enterprise applications, data analytics, and VMs. These improvements are a result of all-flash, throughput, reliability, compression, etc."
  • "One of the features that I am looking for, which is already in the works, is to be able to take my code and automatically move it to the cloud."

What other advice do I have?

With all-flash, you can never go wrong. I am in the process of converting everything to all-flash. We are not currently connected to the public clouds. We are looking to connect to them in 2019. It takes us days to setup and provision enterprise applications using this solution. We chose this solution because vendors are choosing all-flash over hybrid.
Rodrigo Carte
Head of IT at Inacap
Nov 25, 2018
It takes us just minutes to set up and provision an enterprise application using the tool

What is our primary use case?

We use data storage for our big environment. It creates an environment where students and teachers can work together. We did the installation two months ago. Now, we are reviewing its affect on behavior over time, which has been incredible. We have less latency within all applications.

• "There are many reports accessing the applications. We receive them very quickly. We used to wait a long time for them. Now, you just need to wait a moment."
  • "If you need a replacement part, they will provide it."
  • "We would like to have more behavioral reporting."

What other advice do I have?

I am not using VMs today, but maybe in the future I will. We have not yet connected to public clouds.
SanEnginf30d
SAN Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 25, 2018
Maximizes Performance Of Our Critical Applications And Provides Flexible Scaling

What is our primary use case?

NetApp is introducing All Flash FAS with the all-flash array. Our customers like performance, they don't want to deal with latency. Using an all-flash array, our customers get impact from performance.

• "My favorite part is all-flash solid drives. All of my applications are running on an all-flash array. Before, we used to get too many severity tickets on performance, but as soon as we migrated everything to an all-flash array, our critical applications are at top performance."
  • "To be more competitive in the industry, they can develop deduplication, compression, and smarter features in the same array instead of all-flash."

What other advice do I have?

AFF has affected IT's ability to support new business initiatives. Nowadays, customers in financial companies are looking for more storage. From a business point of view, you need a faster response in order to compete with other financial companies. From the customer's point of view, they are looking for a faster response from their financial company. Using all-flash array, they can retrieve their old files within seconds. That's an important edge. AFF helps us improve performance for our enterprise applications, data analytics on VMs. It helps us with records. We need to be able to calculate…
Zakeer Mohammed
Storage Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
The file-based protocol supports NFS and CIFS

What is our primary use case?

Whenever we face any issues with performance, particularly any performance with our high outreaching storage site, we are recommended to use an all-flash service, because we rely on our primary solution at all times. If it seem like there are issues, we have bring in different vendors as a buffer. We have adopted an all-flash primary solution with this use case.

• "NetApp AFF is based on Unix, which makes it secure."
  • "The file-based protocol supports NFS and CIFS."
  • "There are some bugs with the solution which need to be fixed."

What other advice do I have?

We have connected this solution to public clouds. We have different clients using the public cloud solution. Our public cloud has clients signed up for SAP HANA. There are many applications which are running on front-end databases, like Oracle, MySQL, etc.
StorageA3fb6
Storage Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Nov 23, 2018
Our TCO decreased significantly by condensing arrays and reducing maintenance fees

What is our primary use case?

We use it for block storage.

• "We just migrated two petabytes of data storage from IBM over to NetApp All Flash. Some of the performance improvement that we've seen is 100 times I/O and microsecond latency."
  • "We can go through and do an upgrade without worrying about any issues with the process"
  • "Technical support is a little lackluster. Some of the issues that we've had were opening up tickets. They seem to be routed in the wrong direction or it takes one or two days to get a call back for simple tasks."

What other advice do I have?

NetApp, being the behemoth company that it is, if you're looking to have a solution provider be end-to-end when it comes to file, block, scale, and cloud, NetApp is probably the leader of the market. Depending upon an application, provision enterprise applications could take from a day to a week. A lot of times, if it's just a simple application that we need to install, it takes an afternoon. However, incorporating it and twisting the nerd knobs and making sure that everything is operating as efficiently as possible that takes a week of deployment to make sure it's on the right tiered disk and…
it_user805152
Technical Solution Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Nov 22, 2018

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is availability, performance, bandwidth, and throughput with respect to our applications. We are currently using an on-premise solution.

• "Even though the complete workload will fill out the AFF storage box, it will give us sustained stability."
  • "The technical support is fantastic. No one else is like their team. We're happy with them."
  • "Going forward, I would like improvement in the response latencies, capacity size, cache, and controller size."

What other advice do I have?

It is the first company who introduced NVMe protocols, which is end-to-end. It also has very good response times. The NVMe technology that we're evaluating will certainly help us with artificial intelligence going forward.
Ed Alexander
Senior Systems Administrator at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 20, 2018
It has extremely high performance, and the storage efficiency is far superior to a typical FAS

What is our primary use case?

We use it for high performance, block storage, and file storage. The highest performance need apps are usually deployed on AFF. We're using adaptive QoS to identify what applications require higher performance and moving those volumes over to the AFF.

• "AFF helps us improve performance for our enterprise applications, data analytics and VMs. We have moved our primary data stores for production over to AFF, and a lot of the problems that might happened have gone away."
  • "It scales well, probably more so than the FAS. Because of the storage density with the SSDs, we can't buy enough SSDs to max one out."
  • "We are spending less time putting out fires, so there's a tangible benefit right there."
  • "On the roadmap, NetApp is improving the solution's storage efficiency, compression algorithms to achieve more space savings, and the management interfaces. We are looking forward to these feature additions in the next release."

What other advice do I have?

I would look at the performance of AFF, its reliability, and its outstanding tech support. AFF is the wave of the future. Spinning disk will be going away and it just makes sense to go where the industry is going. AFF helps us improve performance for our enterprise applications, data analytics and VMs. We have moved our primary data stores for production over to AFF, and a lot of the problems that might happened have gone away. To set up and provision enterprise applications using this solution is quick. We're integrating it with ServiceNow, so it is a hands-off storage allocation. A user…
SeniorSt396d
Senior Storage Engineer at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 18, 2018
The stability is solid. We are in a critical business and can't have any percentage of downtime.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for data storage, applications, and CIFS shares.

• "The stability is solid. It doesn't fail on us, which is exactly what we want. We are in a critical business that we can't have any percentage of downtime."
  • "We were migrating from Data ONTAP 7-Mode to its Cluster-Mode. Therefore, we had to get swing gear, then do the migration from loner gear and back onto our new gear. This was a bit difficult. It took us several months to do multiple migrations."

What other advice do I have?

Figuring out the basics as to what NetApp offers. It is not something that you can just dive into as you will need to have a bit of background knowledge of it. However, there is plenty of help out to to learn the technology, and it's very tangible. Give it a go. I would recommend it. We are very satisfied with it and the whole deployment of it. We have almost seamlessly transitioned our production environment into a completely new hardware environment on the back-end.
SysAdminacb3
Sys Admin at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Nov 6, 2018
Replication and performance are key features for us - we have extemely low latency

What is our primary use case?

We use it for all of our VM storage.

• "Replication would be one of the most valuable features."
  • "The SRA stuff that intergrades with SRM is a problem point. It's a pain point. The support personnel aren't always knowledgeable on that product. At times, they are not even aware what product is supported and what is not, when one has been deprecated and there is a new one out, and what the bug fixes of the newer version are."

What other advice do I have?

The product is about a nine out of then. We have been very happy with the performance. There have been a few minor issues. We failover a couple times a year. In some of the failovers, the SRAs haven't worked exactly as designed. If the SRA was better, maybe not bundled in with the whole Snap solution, that might help.
Paul Holt
Executive director IT Systems at MemorialCare Health System
Nov 6, 2018
Highly stable, it gives us the speed and reliability we need

What is our primary use case?

We use it for electronic medical record storage.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend it. It's very complex to set up. Everything is. Even though it's complex, NetApp, out of the other two options, would probably be the least complex. I would rate it a nine out of ten. We haven't had any failures in the production environment. The only issue, as I said, is that we've had some trouble with the scripting. Otherwise, we'd give it a ten.
StorageEd685
Storage Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 6, 2018
Helped reduce our latency and increase our job flow

What is our primary use case?

We use it in the healthcare industry.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend NetApp. I rate it at nine out of ten, and close to a ten. We've been pretty happy with the All Flash.
SeniorIn28f7
Senior in technology and engineer at a marketing services firm
Nov 6, 2018
Ease of use, stablility, and excellent support have been the prime benefits for us

What is our primary use case?

We use it for data storage.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely encourage colleagues to go ahead with it. I have had a great experience with it. I would definitely encourage them that this is the way to go. I rate this product at ten out of ten. It's easy. Once you know your way around it, there is nothing to it. You can do it in a flash.
DataDeli1702
Data Delivery at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 6, 2018
The Initial Setup Is Easy And Straightforward; There Is No Complexity.

What is our primary use case?

We are it for CIFS, NFS, and NAS. We are also using it for the cloud environment.

• "It's pretty scalable. It can scale up to 24 nodes."
  • "It is stable. In my three years working with the storage, I haven't seen any issues with our NetApp product."
  • "The product should be more competitive and come up with additional features. They should keep the client always in mind and as the top priority. This would be the best way to compete with other solutions."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend NetApp. It is a good product to use.
NetworkSb3b8
Network Services Manager at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 5, 2018
Before this solution, patients would have to wait for answers; now they get them almost instantaneously

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our EHR. We have 4,000 users who need to have access to a very large EHR called Epic. We are sharing a cache database through AIX servers.

• "The most valuable feature, primarily, would be speed. That's why we got it. Storage is costly but it's very, very fast. Very efficient, very fast."

What other advice do I have?

If you have the money, you can't compare it to what we had at all, you just can't. In fact, the one that we had for production for the entire clinic is now sitting in our DR as cold storage. It went from state of the art to boat-anchor in about two years.
    DataCentee24
    Data Center Engineer at a non-profit
    Nov 5, 2018
    Significantly increased our capacity and decreased our footprint

What is our primary use case?

We use it for typical data center workloads: Exchange, file shares, and SQL.

• "The most valuable features are the IO performance that we get, the cluster part, and the increased workload and performance with the SSDs."
    • "It's a little behind on security. It's starting to get into multi-factor authentication, they just started to introduce it but not for all products."

What other advice do I have?

Know your workload, know your customer. Know what your requirements are, know what your future requirements are. Determine what's important to you. Think about the administrators, if you're not the administrator; I'm not, I just engineer it. Think about them and how they will use it. Think about the future, where you think your business will grow. When it comes to setting up and provisioning applications using the product, it depends on what you're doing. But I I can have an Exchange server up and running in about 30 minutes. At the moment the solution is not having any effect on IT's ability…
    SeniorEn1c49
    Senior Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Nov 4, 2018

What is our primary use case?

We are mostly using it for NAS, CIFS, and NFS protocols.

• "Data efficiency is the most valuable feature because of the dedupe and compression."
    • "I would like to see aggregate level encryption in the next release. This is critical."

What other advice do I have?

This is the best solution in the market. NetApp is a good company. I use to work there.
    SeniorStd2e6
    Senior storage engineer at a government with 10,001+ employees
    Nov 4, 2018
    High performance and aggregate level dedupe are key for us, but ONTAP has not been stable

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our VWware environment. We run virtual machines and our plan is to migrate all of them to the All Flash platform.

• "The most valuable features are high performance and encryption. It also provides aggregate level dedupe."
    • "The system is pretty stable but most of the ONTAP versions are not really stable. There have been multiple bugs in different ONTAP versions."

What other advice do I have?

I would say this is a good solution but talk to the NetApp guys and see how it really fits in your environment. We do not connect it to public clouds at the moment. We have plans to do so in the future, depending on the use cases. I rate the product at seven out of ten. Their system is pretty good but we are still facing a few issues, mainly on the software side where there is an SVMDR. We had it in the previous configuration. We did an ONTAP upgrade but had some issues replicating the whole configuration. There are a few other glitches here and there. Other than that I would say it's pretty…
    SystemsE2a93
    Systems Engineer Manager at a hospitality company with 10,001+ employees
    Nov 4, 2018
    It has sped up our IOPS and made it a lot easier for users

What is our primary use case?

We do storage across the United States.

• "We have SQL clusters across the United States. It has sped up our IOPS and made it a lot easier for users."
    • "I would like them to roll in global monitoring instead of having to buy another product for it."
    • "The initial setup was a little complex, because we weren't very knowledgeable in the NetApp at the time. We were using a third-party, and they didn't have a lot of technical individuals, so it took a while to get it out."

What other advice do I have?

Do your research. There are a lot of different storage vendors who have a lot things which are good. Pick the one that you feel is best for you.
    Sunder Periesany
    Technical manager at Macrovention
    Nov 4, 2018
    Provides low latency and high performance, but cloud retrieval needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We have a range of customers, from manufacturing to oil & gas, in Malaysia. We have been using NetApp for quite some time, but now performance is a big issue for our customers, along with other challenges for them, so they are opting to go to All Flash. NetApp is doing a good job of delivering to and satisfying customers. All Flash cloud technology has helped them a lot.

• "The most valuable features are the low latency and high-performance."
    • "We'd like to see improvement in the time to retrieve from the Cloud, whether it's on-prem to cloud and whether it's public or private cloud."
    • "We don't have many issues related to the appliance itself. In terms of the OS, we do get some hiccups here and there."

What other advice do I have?

First thing first, I would advise you to gather the exact requirements and challenges. Try to blend those requirements with the NetApp solution, or part of the product, that suits you. Doing so will create a better engagement in the discussion. Otherwise, it could be very difficult to say that NetApp is the best product for the use case. It takes less than half a day to set up and provision enterprise applications using the solution. So far we have not connected any of our customers to public clouds. We have some challenges in Malaysia where some of the data, especially from the banks but also…
    PrArch3450
    Principal Architect at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Nov 4, 2018
    Enables us to provide an easily automated solution using REST APIs

What is our primary use case?

We have a multi-tenant shared solution that we use with Quality of Service to provide bare metal as a service and IP storage to our customers. We keep it very simple. It's an automated solution which customers configure on a portal and then it automatically configures storage for them.

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to do QoS."

What other advice do I have?

It's a pretty stout solution. NVMe is coming and pretty much everything we want is on their roadmap. In terms of connecting it to public cloud, we are a public cloud so we connect to ourselves. When it comes to setting up and provisioning enterprise applications using the solution, it depends on the customer use case. Some are quick, some are really complex.
      Sandeep Thota
      Consulting Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Oct 31, 2018
      Stores two times more data than what is purchased

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is escalating a more global performance, which wasn't achievable with the regular spinning drives. We wanted to have higher breakthrough performance with a flash-based solution using all SSD drives.

• "The Active IQ feature is a productive mechanism that automatically collects reports and users' statuses."
      • "I would like to see more frequent updates at a faster pace."
      • "There needs to be compatibility with upgraded applications. We don't want the system to be upgraded, but not have backwards compatible to existing applications."

What other advice do I have?

With an increasing amount of data cranking out every day and a lot of analytics running on processing applications, more performance is required from storage devices. This is a database solution which is All Flash FAS is suited. I have not connected AFF to public clouds yet, but possibly in the future. It takes half an hour max to set up and provision enterprise applications using AFF. It is a diversified solution.
      ITP2310
      ICT Operations Manager at a government with 11-50 employees
      Oct 25, 2018
      I think it is a very stable product.

What is our primary use case?

It's, mainly it's for storage, we have various databases with different applications and we are using it just for storage, mainly as just a storage for our systems.

• "I think it is a very stable product."
      • "A while ago, they performed quite slowly."
      • "Implementation needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you are very clear in terms of what you want to buy. Your specifications have to be very clear, so there are no gray areas. From there, it`s up to which vendor provides you with the right proposal, and if its cost-effective go for it.
      StorageE3f86
      Storage Engineer at a university with 10,001+ employees
      Oct 24, 2018

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for VMware and Hyper-V data stores.

• "It should scale far beyond our needs. I don't think we will ever hit the edge of it."
      • "We only had a few upgrade issues."
      • "I've had a few cases where support wasn't able to answer the question or they took quite a while."

What other advice do I have?

It's worth the slight increase in cost for performance. In the end, you save money in the long-term (ROI).
      it_user577449
      Manager Biomedical System Services at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Oct 24, 2018

What is our primary use case?

We use it for medical systems.

• "Over the past 18 years, it has been extremely easy to upgrade to newer products and technology. We can upgrade as we move along. So, we have been able to keep up with the newest technology with zero downtime."
      • "We have never had a failure. We can upgrade as we move along with zero downtime."
      • "I would like to see if they could move the virtual storage machines. They have integrated a DR, so you can back to your DR, but there's no automated way to failover and failback. It's all manual. I'd like to see it all automated."

What other advice do I have?

We have put our trust in NetApp, and they have given us the customer support and a stable, reliable product. Sometimes, I have to get rid of the equipment and upgrade because it is no longer supported. It's not like we are getting rid of the equipment or upgrading because there's something wrong with it. It will last forever. I have had disk shells that we've had to just let go, which are still working, because they aren't supported.
      Keith Latimer
      IT Operations Manager at Idaho State Insurance Fund
      Oct 24, 2018
      Because of the cloning and snapshots that we do, we are getting a high data efficiency ratio out of our production array

What is our primary use case?

NetApp is our primary storage device for our line of business. We use NetApp as our primary storage device and also for our DR. We are a workers' comp insurance company that has been in business for a 120 years.

• "Batch times went from approximately seven hours down to about two and a half. Functionality during the day, such as taking or removing snapshots and cloning instances, is higher than it has ever been."
      • "Setting up storage for an application (storage provisioning) is quick and easy. Maybe a quarter of the time is now spent getting the application up and running, or even less."
      • "The initial setup was very straightforward. It was intuitive to set up storage volumes and get the networking functioning. Their engineer was very helpful. We got the current array on our production site the very same day it was shipped in. We had it up on the network and started to put some storage on it."
      • "I just got through the session where it looks like they are going to support Oracle running on Linux with SnapCenter. That is one of the main things that we are hoping to get integrated."

What other advice do I have?

We have been an NetApp customer for about ten years and have enjoyed the relationship a lot. The important thing for anybody to check out is the snapshot functionality of NetApp, and how well it works to provision for backup. It also provisions test environments with it. There are so many advantages to the way they do snapshots compared to other companies, and they have all these wondrous tool sets to leverage the snapshot functionality. Anybody who is looking into a storage solution needs to look at all of the attributes to the NetApp platform. Connecting it to public cloud is our next…
      Peg Heffron
      Network Professional at a transportation company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      Oct 23, 2018
      Dual Controller gives us great stability and allows us to do daytime maintenance on a controller

What is our primary use case?

We use it for data storage for Citrix VDIs.

• "The most valuable features are deduplication and compression, so we get more out of our storage. The replication is also important."
      • "It's very stable. It's always there when we need it. With the Dual Controller, if one drops out, the other one comes right online. We don't use any iSCSI so there is a little bit of a latency break but, over the NFS, we don't notice that switch-on. We can do maintenance in the middle of the day, literally rip a whole controller out of the chassis, and do what we need to do with it."
      • "I would like to see a little more flexibility in customizing some of the SnapMirror stuff. We have been having a little trouble and, in the first round with tech support, they say, "Well, this is how we do it." It's not exactly throttled but it's limited in the number of connections it makes. We would like to be able to tweak that, to increase it a little bit, because we don't have half a dozen large areas that we are protecting, we have more like 40 or 50 areas. They run into each other a little bit and I don't want to spend time on them."

What other advice do I have?

Try to get behind the sales guys to the people who do pre-sales tech support to really understand the roadmap and other aspects of the product. The sales guys are great but they're sales guys. If you can get to the tech guys behind them and really talk to them about what your problems are, and what you are trying to attack, I feel that works much better.
      Ashwin Bhadra
      Senior Manager of Product and Services at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Oct 23, 2018
      We can spin up VMs quickly and FabricPool enables me to extend hyperscaler storage

What is our primary use case?

We are a multi-cloud provider and we use NetApp All Flash as the base for providing the cloud services.

• "With the new version, they have the FabricPool which works for me. I can extend the hyperscaler storage."
      • "It would be great if they had a single pane of glass or a single dashboard where all the NetApp ecosystem storages could be viewed and monitored simply. That would help my Operations."

What other advice do I have?

You should definitely look at NetApp AFF and evaluate it. In terms of how long it takes to set up and provision enterprise applications using AFF, we have a back-end provisioning tool so it's all automated. I cannot define it only with respect to AFF because the entire orchestration works. But on average, we take about five minutes to provision a VM. I would rate the solution at eight out of ten. It has definitely helped us bring our costs down and gives us a powerful storage at the back end to serve our customers. It would be a ten out of if they brought my TCO down even more.
      Damien Berezenko
      Technical Director at СT Consulting
      Aug 12, 2018
      Competitive in terms of performance, storage efficiency, feature richness, and scalability

What is our primary use case?

* All flash * SAN and NAS server virtualization * Databases (OLTP and OLAP) * File shares * Test or development

• "We found AFF systems very competitive in terms of performance, storage efficiency, feature richness, and scalability."
      • "There are no pNFS with VMware VVOLs."
      • "There is no direct storage attachment available. Most configurations require additional switches for data access."
      • "There are no RDMA capabilities in CIFS (SMB) and NFS protocols."
      it_user732744
      System Administrator at Dhaka Bank Limited
      Jan 22, 2018
      The business copy solution has become faster using SnapMirror

What is our primary use case?

A centralized storage solution for Telecom organizations. Where NetApp FAS 6200 was connected to HP-UX, AIX, Linux, VMware, and Windows, this storage is used by the OLTP solution (database and application) as well as a data warehouse application.

• "If the AutoSupport is well configured, then you need not to do a monitoring. You will get call and mail when any issue is completed."
      • "Setup was simple and easy."
      • "The business copy solution has become faster using SnapMirror."
      • "The graphical interface is still heavy and slow. Needs more improvement in this area."
      • "I have experienced slow responses several times, if the ticket has only been opened in portal."

What other advice do I have?

This can be used as a storage (SAN/NAS) as well as a SAN's volume controller
      it_user797502
      IT Specialist at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Jan 21, 2018

What is our primary use case?

* Using NetApp AFF 8060 in two-node MetroCluster configuration. * Used for NAS protocols only. * CIFS and NFS provisioned through several SVMs (vFilers). * Shares for normal company office files, Oracle Middleware binaries, Citrix profiles, and more.

• "MetroCluster provides business continuity and is a critical part of our contingency setup."
      • "The speed is important; no more problems caused by high latency."
      • "I would like it to be an IP as our network is mainly IP-based."
      • "FC and ATTO bridges are still needed for cross datacenter replication."
      BunyaminTasdemir
      CTO at Pronet Security
      Dec 10, 2017
      High availability and improved performance are key features

How has it helped my organization?

Improves performance reduces CPU usage Efficient use of RAM

What is most valuable?

Price/performance High availability

What needs improvement?

Stability could be improved.

Three to five years.

No issues with scalability.

In the first years it was great, after that it has become worse.

NetApp is getting too expensive.

HPE 3PAR.
      it_user527397
      Systems Architect at University of Iowa
      Nov 22, 2017
      The systems actually started acting like real computers, not like a virtual system.

What other advice do I have?

If a colleague was evaluating storage solutions I would tell them to buy NetApp. The decompression, the dedup, all those things that happen, are just better then everybody else's platform.
      it_user527064
      Solution Architect at Intalock Technologies
      Nov 22, 2017
      Easy scalability is key; clients don't know what their sizing needs will be in the coming years

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor start with, "Is it going to work for the customer?" We'd like to do best-of-breed for customers and we don't like to just push a solution down because of any relationship with the vendor. It must work for the customer. So far, NetApp solutions that we have put together have worked for the customer. It is sometimes hard to get NetApp into a customer when they have another vendor, like EMC. It's hard to push the other vendor out, because not only the storage but there are also other parts that the customer sometimes aligns to a certain vendor…
      it_user731157
      IT Business Partner at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Nov 15, 2017
      We have seen a speed improvement, and our applications are a lot faster

What other advice do I have?

The NetApp ONTAP system is a very good system to work with and use. Very versatile and once you know how things work in the NetApp world, then it makes it very easy to keep the systems for a long time, to work with them, and they work very well. It is a brand new system, and it works extremely well. Performance improvements are as expected.
      it_user522096
      Storage Administrator at LDS church
      Nov 6, 2017
      Raw speed has reduced our latencies significantly and management tools make admin easy

• "Speed. it's very performance designed. It's designed to have a lot of high speed."
      • "Cleaning up false positives on alerts. We get a lot of those."

What other advice do I have?

We've been a customer of NetApp for a long time and they're a good, strong company and we have a close partnership with them. We are more likely to consider NetApp for mission critical storage systems based on our experience with AFF because they're a great company to work with. They put out some good products. The most important criteria for us when selecting a vendor would be * somebody who is stable * somebody whose industry standing is a big deal * and then price point. They're a good strong system. I don't think that anything is perfect, but it's pretty close. It takes care of everything…
      it_user750528
      Senior Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      Nov 6, 2017
      Helps with application performance due to storage efficiency

What is most valuable?

Performance.

How has it helped my organization?

Application performance Less capacity required due to storage efficiency

What needs improvement?

More performance features. We need our jobs to run faster.

Yes, it is stable.

Yes, it is scalable.

Helpful for troubleshooting.

We did not have a previous solution. We chose NetApp because we have other NetApp systems.

It was an easy setup. It was done very quickly.
      it_user750711
      System Engineer at Outfront Media
      Nov 5, 2017
      Integrating it into our VMware virtual environment was very easy; it's flexible and makes DR simple

What other advice do I have?

Right now we just use it for file storage. We were using block and file. I'm going to be using block in the future as well. In terms of my impression of NetApp as a vendor of high profile SAN storage, before I purchased AFF, I always liked NetApp. I was always impressed by the company in general, as a NetApp customer previously. But the All Flash FAS definitely has even increased that and enhanced my opinion of them more, based on the functionality, the new stuff in ONTAP 9. We were using an older 7-Mode system, so the transition was pretty easy; and just the overall benefits of the system and…
      it_user750720
      Storage Engineer at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Nov 5, 2017
      Inline deduplication and integration with SnapManager allow us to set the storage with the Exchange team and forget it

What other advice do I have?

Our impression of NetApp as a vendor of high performance SAN storage before and after we purchased AFF was good. For our primary VMware storage, before, we went with a different vendor for a little while. Then we pulled back to NetApp for this, because of the ease of functionality and ease of use relationship with ONTAP. Based on our experiences with AFF we are more likely to consider NetApp for mission critical storage systems in the future because of its reliability. We've tried out other vendors, and we might end up going back to NetApp for those solutions, given our different experiences…
      it_user750645
      Software Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
      Nov 2, 2017
      Improved performance, fast data, have resulted in additional customer revenue and better service

• "The performance. The flash performance helps move data pretty fast."
      • "ZAPI is kind of difficult to use. You know, it's SOAP-like, it's not really SOAP. I would like to see it more of a REST-based JSON, instead of XML."

What other advice do I have?

For the most part our use case is databases. We use AFF for both block storage and file storage. We've got arrays for both. We've got a very mixed NetApp setup. We've got some that are just AFF, some that are AFF FAS systems - flash pulls and the like. I've always been a fan of NetApp. I've dealt with other vendors but I like NetApp because when we need support, they're usually there, they show up, whereas other vendors don't quite do that. As far as AFF specifically, it's just another good product that NetApp put out. We're definitely more likely to consider NetApp for mission critical…
      it_user750615
      IT Administrator at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Nov 1, 2017
      Integrates seamlessly with what we're used to for FAS while getting the raw performance of flash

• "The ability to do SnapMirror or SnapVault for data resiliency and backup."
      • "Additional performance, additional data efficiencies, that's what everybody wants right now."

What other advice do I have?

We have a 8080 EX HA pair, an 8040 HA pair, and an A700 all in the same cluster. That's our production cluster. We also run an AFF8040 for non-production and then a couple of other FAS heads: two HA pairs, 8040s for DR. So we've got some NetApp spread around. Based on our experience with AFF, we are definitely more likely to consider NetApp for mission critical storage systems in the future because it's the same quality and the same value for money as we have always come to expect from them. This is the direction the industry is going. My personal opinion is that SaaS 15,10k is going to be…
      it_user652587
      Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Oct 31, 2017

What other advice do I have?

When you are looking at NetApp as a scale-out NAS player, they have been in the SMB in the FAS space for long time. They have done it well. They have done the multi-protocol access, NFS to NTFS access and reverse really well. They have the ability to have a cluster of disks contained of different kinds of disks, which has been useful. Also, as a unified box, it is like the Swiss army-knife of the unified boxes.
      Dathon Stokes
      Systems Administrator at Anthc
      Oct 31, 2017
      It has improved our applications' overall performance, and it has simplified our management of it

What other advice do I have?

It offers everything we need. If you are considering this solution, ensure you do the research and know what you are actually getting. Also, make sure you know what your needs are before you start doing that research.
      it_user750657
      Manager Enterprise Services at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Oct 31, 2017
      Flexible, helps us migrate without taking systems down, and keeps our critical systems up and running

What other advice do I have?

We use it for our high demand applications. Mainly email, our critical systems, that is what we're using our all-flash array for, tiered storage. We have some non-flash, where we store archival data and things of that nature, but the flash is performant for our tier-one applications. We use it for book storage and file storage. We've been an NetApp customer for nine years now, so as they've grown, we've grown with them and implemented any of their new solutions, software or hardware based. We've been a great customer. If you want an all-around company that can meet your needs, whether it be…
      SystemsEa62a
      Systems Engineer at a individual & family service with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Oct 31, 2017
      We have been able to successfully use their high availability as well as run online upgrades without any disruption

What other advice do I have?

Definitely give them a chance and see if the solution works for your environment. If you are doing block level storage, maybe try NFS. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: price.
      it_user750699
      Sr Storage Admin at General Dynamics
      It improves organizational performance

What is most valuable?

Performance Block storage

How has it helped my organization?

It improves organizational performance.

What needs improvement?

I want to see more send features. It takes awhile to learn the system.

It is stable.

It does not matter much in our environment. We have not thought of scaling out.

We have used the technical support. They are good.

We had EMC, then we introduced NetApp. We switched due to cost.

I was involved in the initial setup. There was a little bit of an issue, but it turned out okay.…
      it_user750630
      Senior Systems Engineer at Age Of Learning
      Oct 31, 2017
      Inline compression and dedup enable us to run multiple copies of various instances due to space savings

What other advice do I have?

We are definitely more likely to consider NetApp for mission critical storage systems based on our experience of AFF because of the support. A lot of the features; NetApp's constantly providing and innovating with stuff, and it's reliable. That's the bottom line. NetApp has been around for a long time. Their support is great, documentation is great as well. If you're a guy that likes to do it on your own, you can do that, read up the documentation. If you need support, they'll help you out every step of the way. It's great. My advice to a colleague who is researching a similar solution would…
      it_user750678
      Storage Admin
      Oct 31, 2017
      We use it for block storage, because we need a lot performance in all of our systems and databases

• "We installed NetSender to test it. I think it could be a good solution. It is very small now, but will probably become bigger in the next few months to years."

What other advice do I have?

Until now, I have had no problems with the system. I would recommend this solution.
        it_user750702
        Senior It Solutions Analyst at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
        Oct 24, 2017
        Gives us high performance, improvement in IOPS, reduced latency, and it's easy to manage

What other advice do I have?

Our primary use case is databases using NAS file storage. Our impression of NetApp as a vendor of high performance SAN storage before the purchase was that it's good. Now that we have it, we still think it's good. We are more likely to consider NetApp for mission critical storage systems because of the improvement in the performance. In terms of selecting a vendor, in the case of PoC, we look for more support and faster responses. I would advise a colleague researching similar products that this is the preferred solution.
        it_user750759
        Ceo at Enterprise Computing
        Oct 23, 2017
        We have had significant optimizations across the board. Performance has improved significantly.

• "The Snapshot, SnapMirror, and SnapRestore functionalities."

What other advice do I have?

We use both block and file storage. With the current release of the ONTAP also, it's going to be easy to migrate the data to the cloud, which is very good because of the trend of doing hybrid solutions now. NetApp is doing a perfect job. Just go NetApp. You won't go wrong. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * A solution which is fast. * It is reliable. * Support is excellent. * Ease of use. * User-friendliness.
          it_user750582
          System Engineering Engineer at Cleveland Clinic
          Oct 23, 2017
          The key features for us, in medical treatment, is its high availability and multiple layers of redundancy

• "Performance is excellent. In fact, it's so fast that we're not really even taxing it all that much."
          • "​A lot of the tools that are built into the stock, ONTAP operating system, instead of having to buy the add-ons and things.​"

What other advice do I have?

Our primary use case for the All Flash FAS is medical data storage. We use it for both block storage and file storage at the moment. We're more than "likely" to consider NetApp for mission critical storage systems. It's already mission critical. This is cancer treatment. That's what it's doing. Our most important criteria when selecting a vendor are support, features, and support. Can I say one twice? Because I know in healthcare, if something goes wrong, and we can't get it back up and running, patients are affected. If cancer treatments stop, it's really bad. Or somebody's mistreated? The…
          it_user750561
          Storage Admin at Bay View Financial Trading
          Oct 23, 2017
          ​Speed, storage efficiency mean no complaints from customers and we don't have to buy as much space

What other advice do I have?

Our primary use case is for SQL databases. We use it for block storage. We are more likely to consider NetApp for a mission-critical storage system, based on our experience, because of the speed. We have a cluster, so the high availability. Those are the two. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Dependability, like at 3:00 in the morning, if I need help, they're there. That's really number one for me. * The willingness to be able to train me so I can do it and I don't have to constantly call them. Those are the two, my major factors. To a colleague in another company who's…
          it_user750672
          Senior Sys Admin at a tech services company
          Oct 22, 2017
          The scalability is excellent. We added a shelf three weeks ago and it took less than 10 minutes.

What other advice do I have?

The primary use case for our All Flash system is VMware. It's NFS-based, therefore it's NAS-based. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Typically, with vendor selection, it's going to be more about the support after. Most of the features across the vendors that I've talked to are pretty much on par with everybody else.
          it_user750534
          Data Analyst at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
          Oct 22, 2017
          Gives us the performance and flexibility we need; Snapshots are really impressive

• "Performance. Mostly with our default settings it's good. All of the factory settings are fine. We don't have to tune it."
          • "When you look at the competitors, they have some features available, for example on the deduplication side.​"

What other advice do I have?

Our primary use case for All Flash is just as an alternate solution of storage. We are just exploring how it fits us. We use it for file storage right now but we have a plan for block storage also. We are more likely to consider NetApp for mission-critical storage based on our experience with AFF. We are in the very initial stages of the AFF storage. It's very good. We are seeing good performance with it. But still, we need to see, with our mission-critical applications, with NetApp... Because right now we are just using the file storage, and we did not put any mission-critical applications…
          it_user527238
          Sr. SAN Engineer at a religious institution with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Oct 22, 2017
          Very easy to add nodes as needed and move data around within the cluster to balance the workload

What other advice do I have?

We use it for Oracle databases and for our virtual environment, and use it for file storage, not block storage. Our impression of NetApp as a vendor of high performance SAN storage before we purchased it was that we could use them for general purpose storage, didn't really think of them as high-performance, but they're definitely there now. We are likely to consider them for our mission critical storage because we've been running on them now for eight years and they've been running our critical applications, so they've proven it to us. The most important criteria when selecting a vendor…
          it_user750609
          Senior Information Systems Engineer at Varian Medical Systems
          Oct 22, 2017
          The compression, dedupe, and speed are the most valuable features

What other advice do I have?

I have been an advocate of NetApp for a long time. It's a good company, has good equipment, and good support. I am more like to consider NetApp for mission critical storage systems based on my experiences with AFF. Our current AFF is not part of a cluster of NetApp FAS systems, we have other systems that are multi-node clusters. Definitely, heavily look at NetApp and its AFF solution. It's a rock solid platform. That's my recommendation. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: stability and longevity. That's why I'm looking at some of the other Flash providers out there. They haven't…
          it_user750705
          Systems Engineer at George Fox University
          Usability and consistency, we've never had an outage and backups are 90% faster

What other advice do I have?

We use it as our production stack, VMware, Oracle, and file shares for the most part, and use it for both block and file storage. We are more likely to consider NetApp for mission critical storage systems, based on our experience, because we didn't have a disk fail in six years with our first FAS. That's hard to beat that. I hear different stories on that, but that's our experience. So I'm pretty happy. Everything runs well. The main thing that we've noticed is Oracle including backups at night, and queries and the like. Other than that, the database guys were the only ones that complained…
          it_user750723
          It Manager at HSBC
          Oct 19, 2017
          Enabled us to reduce physical rackspace on one project by 70-80% while providing performance and reliability

What other advice do I have?

The primary use case for our All Flash FAS is user data: Windows user file data, application data, NAS IP data. We use file storage. We've just got a great partnership with NetApp. We've got NetApp installed in over 52 different countries. I think our hardware install base is over 600 systems globally. We've got a very good relationship. We are more likely to consider NetApp for mission critical storage because of the reliability that we get with them, the support that we have with them, the infrastructure that they have available. The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are *…
          it_user750669
          Enterprise Storage Admin at Commonwealth Of Kentucky :Cot
          Oct 18, 2017
          Its ability to handle the load which we throw at it

What other advice do I have?

Look for these three major components when researching a similar product: * Supportability with tech support * Scalability * The stability of the platforms. As far as AFF, we've had far better response and longevity of the actual drives themselves because they don't wear out as fast as a spindle drive does. I would say don't go with spindle. Go with All Flash unless it's archive. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Supportability * Performance * Scalability.
          it_user750651
          Leads Systems Engineer at Tuscon Medical Center
          Oct 17, 2017
          It makes for easy upgrades; you just add new nodes, move stuff off, and take the old nodes off ​

What other advice do I have?

When choosing a storage, it's a matter of management. Once you've bought the storage, all your time is spent in management. So, look at the software as well as the hardware. We use it for block storage almost exclusively. We are more likely to consider NetApp for mission critical storage systems because they have been excellent to work with and their product has been stable. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: support and performance. When choosing a storage, it's a matter of management. Once you've bought the storage, all your time is spent in management. So, look at the software…
          it_user750639
          Enterprise Storage Engineer at Providance Health Services
          Oct 16, 2017
          Tech support is good, smart, and responsive

What other advice do I have?

We use All Flash for block and file storage. We have been a NetApp shop for a while, even before AAF 300. Thus, our impression of NetApp has a long history. It's been good to us in providing the support and giving us the right solutions when we need them. Therefore, we have a good impression of NetApp. I recommend NetApp. If someone is looking at a similar solution, I would give them the advice, "Go for NetApp." When it comes to NAS services, they have better operating systems compared to anyone, even other vendors would have it, but NetApp has a long history of being in the market and large…
          it_user750633
          System Admin
          Oct 16, 2017
          They've always been really supportive, easy to get ahold of, and easy to work with

What other advice do I have?

We use both block and file storage. NetApp is the leader in the field for high performance and storage systems. They have always been our primary go to. We are more likely to consider NetApp for mission critical storage systems based on our experience. Advice for someone looking at similar products: Just do the research beforehand and you'll be able to tell what vendors separate themselves from the rest as far as other companies' reviews out there. I would definitely recommend NetApp All Flash FAS. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: compatibility and communication. Being able to…
          it_user750558
          Manager San Operations at a media company with 10,001+ employees
          Oct 16, 2017
          We do our upgrades in the middle of the day

• "The performance is the most valuable feature."

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * High availability * Reliability * Performance. We have to be able to do the three P's. Get people in the front gate, sell them plush "Bugs Bunnies", and sell them pizzas. If we can't do that, we have a problem. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * High availability * Reliability * Performance. We have to be able to do the three P's. Get people in the front gate, sell them plush "Bugs Bunnies", and sell them pizzas. If we can't do that, we have a problem.
            it_user750564
            Infrastructure Admin 3 at Grant Ham University
            Oct 15, 2017
            If we have any issues, we can call into NetApp and their support is really good

• "The most valuable feature is the support. If we have any issues, we can call into NetApp and their support is really good."
            • "It would be nice to have better integration between SRM and VMware, as I've had some issues with that."

What other advice do I have?

It's reliable. The speed is good. We've tried to push the thing to the max and it's almost impossible. The CPU of our host gets limited before the storage gets limited, therefore backup solutions for it is easy. Depending on what your needs are, obviously NetApp would be the way to go.
            it_user750576
            Storage Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Oct 15, 2017
            We just implemented it this year and that dropped the latency by at least four times

• "Easier to manage with the clustered system and everything with the newest ONTAP 9."
            • "Higher communication: I love the professional services and I love everything that everyone's able to offer us, but I find sometimes we're not aware of all the things that NetApp can do."

What other advice do I have?

Give NetApp a shot. There's a lot of other really good solutions out there as well. I'm pretty entrenched in NetApp personally because I think they do a great job. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Dependency and redundancy; just ensuring that we're able to stay up constantly. That's the biggest thing. It's because any downtime causes our stores not to be able to take transactions, that's not okay.
            it_user750585
            Systems Administrator at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
            Oct 15, 2017
            The benefits are automatic; the power consumption is very low and the performance is very high

• "The scale up version of it is the most valuable feature. You can go to 24 nodes, which is very cool."
            • "Going forward, I would like more performance analytics on it, on the area itself, instead of using some other tool."

What other advice do I have?

It's a pretty solid solution. If you're looking for a block solution, or file solution, on flash, you definitely have to look at it.
            it_user750546
            Senior Storage Administrator at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Oct 15, 2017
            Allows us to increase capacity, update hardware without having to take an outage

• "​It supports our virtualization, our VMware environment."
            • "Better stability, not releasing features until they are fully functional, or at least giving us a software train that doesn't add them until they are fully functional and proven."

What other advice do I have?

We use AFF for both block storage and file storage. We are more likely to consider to NetApp for mission critical storage systems based on our experience with AFF. With clustered data ONTAP, it's actually a true enterprise solution that has upgrade paths that don't require actual downtime. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor solution is the ability to deliver in the long-term. The TCO makes it a very desirable solution. The efficiencies are more than worth the money. It means you can have a small footprint but support a lot of different solutions within the datacenter.
            it_user750543
            Systems Administrator at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
            Oct 15, 2017
            Consistent with ONTAP versions, and the speed and performance are assets

• "I would say the consistency with the ONTAP versions and the speed and performance from the flash."
            • "With some of the larger clusters being able to do a patch upgrade is helping. They still take three, four hours by the time you get the night started, finish things up, do the upgrade."

What other advice do I have?

I would say the primary use case for AFF is a combination of database and virtual servers. We have both block storage and file storage. Our impression of NetApp as a vendor of high performance SAN storage, both before and after we purchased AFF, was top-notch. We are definitely more likely to consider NetApp for mission critical storage systems in the future based on our experience with AFF, due to its reliability, ease of administration, cost. For us, reliability, cost, and just a good relationship are the most important criteria when selecting a vendor. It's reliable, fast, low latency, and…
            it_user748323
            Lead Storage Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
            Oct 4, 2017
            We get a lot of compression and efficiency out of the dedupe, you can put a lot of stuff in a little space

• "The in-line dedupe, and the compaction saves us a lot of space because most of our AFFs house VMware VMDK files."
            • "It would be much better if you had it more like the way they do Metro Clusters, where they have a switch, and the storage is all attached to a switch."

What other advice do I have?

The primary use case for our All Flash FAS (AFF) system is pretty much VMware and its servers. It's just for file storage right now, for NFS, for the VMware stuff. We're investigating using it for other things. It's also used as a Zerto, a web application depository for some of the Zerto replication for the VMware stuff. We use it for our mission critical stuff right now, as our VM infrastructure. The most important criteria, when selecting a vendor to work with is functionality. I look at the functionality of the systems, what they provide us, what the features are, and where they're going…
            it_user748317
            Senior Architect at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
            Oct 4, 2017
            Gives us high performance and deduplication capabilities with simpler management

• "Deduplication"
            • "It would be helpful if the compatibility matrix was a bit better."

What other advice do I have?

I would check to see that you're okay with centralized storage because that's what NetApp's bread and butter is. If you want a centralized storage platform that is bulletproof, NetApp is great. We use AFF for both block storage and NAS storage. We are more likely to consider NetApp for mission critical storage systems based on our experience with AFF.
            Emilio Marcos Lopez
            Systems Mgr at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
            Jul 8, 2017
            Using Snapshot, we are able to replicate/clone the production environments. Some workload balancing activities across the nodes are not transparent.

What other advice do I have?

You need to understand the limitations of the scale-out architecture.
            it_user351189
            Senior Infrastructure Architect at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
            Jun 30, 2017
            I expect it to provide us a lot more speed because of low latency and clustered Data ONTAP, although the current version has some problems with global deduplication.

What other advice do I have?

It has better adaptation than pure flash solutions such as XtremIO. It’s important to learn the weak spots of the suppliers in the market, and I can say that I have great expectations for the migration of the flash array to disc via cluster.
            it_user237408
            TAM & Solution Architect with 51-200 employees
            Jun 29, 2017
            All flash disks allow extreme performance at low latency​.

What other advice do I have?

Involve a competent and certified partner.
            it_user527370
            Senior System Engineer at Colorado Judicial Branch
            Jun 19, 2017
            The inline compression and inline dedupe features are valuable.

What other advice do I have?

I've been using NetApp for a long time now, so I really like NetApp, especially with the new ONTAP features, with clustering going forward. Give a good look at NetApp. They have treated us well and their product has been really rock solid for us.
            it_user527247
            IT Infrastructure Specialist at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Jun 14, 2017
            We compared this tool against EMC’s XtremIO head-to-head, and NetApp blew it out of the water.

What other advice do I have?

We use the system to do stuff that isn't quite out yet. We love to do some oddball things. We're one of the first to use NetApp shift to compete and migrate away from VMware. We didn’t run into any issues with it, and it beat the competition. When looking for a vendor, it's usually value first, which is not the right way to do it. That's what it comes down to. The value and then next is feature set.
            it_user527109
            IT Systems Admin at Greater Harris County
            Apr 3, 2017
            The tools it has are helpful if you're not a CLI type of person.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend the product. I don't have a lot of experience with other solutions such as EMC Storage, Nimble, Fujitsu or Hitachi. I've never really messed with any of them so it's hard for me to compare. I've been doing IT for a while. There some complexity to the NetApp stuff. I know that there are easier solutions out there such as the Nimble one. But overall, the NetApp AFF is a good product. You just need to know what you're doing a little bit or you're going to rely on support and other people. Take the classes. Make yourself familiar with it. That's what I've been doing.
            it_user531243
            CTO at a tech company with 51-200 employees
            Feb 20, 2017
            With dedupe, we achieved more capacity than expected.

What is most valuable?

Dedupe (cost saving): We were able to achieve a lot more capacity than expected.

How has it helped my organization?

More desktops on storage Ease of management

What needs improvement?

Software packaging and ordering. We wanted to integrate with replication and Commvault options, and that was difficult.

We have been using the solution for about six months.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not yet encountered any scalability issues.

I would rate the technical support at about 8/10.

Which solution did I use previously and why

it_user202125
            Lead Storage/System Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Feb 15, 2017
            It is stable, has enabled us to buy capacity as needed, and helps us refresh UAT/DEV environments as needed.

What other advice do I have?

Decide your current and future requirements in terms of performance, capacity scaling, application (SQL/Oracle/SharePoint/Exchange/SAP) integration, storage efficiency (dedupe/compression), operational overhead, etc., and decide on a vendor based on it. No vendor is perfect in every aspect, so chose the vendor based on your requirements and test them!!!
            it_user472458
            Solutions Architect at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Feb 14, 2017
            It's easier to provision applications for VMware, VDI, Oracle, and SQL. Supports multiple protocols.

What other advice do I have?

Be prepared for a lot of configuration hiccups before being operational.
            it_user527193
            R&D Executive Supervisor at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Jan 23, 2017
            It supports VMware and enables bringing up and shutting down the system without problems.
            it_user527292
            Computer Systems Engineer at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
            Jan 22, 2017
            The performance is probably the most valuable feature.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is great; the company is fantastic to work with. I cannot think of a bad experience that we've had with either the company and or the product itself. We've had issues but nothing that wasn't overcome and worked through and better in the long run for working through it with a good company like NetApp. We're very pleased with it but then I guess we don't have a lot of experience with other things to maybe compare. The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with is the support. Everybody's going to have issues with something, but being able to resolve or…
            it_user521703
            Assistant Director Division of IT at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Jan 17, 2017
            The snap capability and remote snap are valuable features. We've had no downtime.

What is most valuable?

With the FAS, the most valuable features are the snap capability and remote snap.

What needs improvement?

We would like to be able to import the share as NFS and CIFS at the same time. I recently came into three different scenarios where I needed to share the same data both to Windows and UNIX. Samba was not a solution that we could use, so it would have to be CIFS and NFS to UNIX.

I’ve been using this for at least 5 years.

We have not had any downtime with the FAS series. It has been very good and stable.

Scalability is good. It's going to meet our needs going forward. We are in the process of adding…
            it_user522096
            Storage Administrator at LDS church
            Jan 16, 2017
            They keep the same operating system for all of their products. We're surprised at the low utilization and high performance.

What other advice do I have?

I've been really happy with NetApp All Flash FAS, and I'd hope that others find the same success. I've been really happy with them. Before we started working with it, we moved input data and resources over. We virtualized the environment over to all flash and it went smooth. We didn't have any problems with it. There wasn't anything crazy we had to do for it.
            it_user527217
            IS System Analyst at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
            Jan 12, 2017
            It gives us enough IOPS to manage our whole system.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure all your applications aren't the problem with what you're trying to fix. There really weren't that many problems with it. It just worked. It works like any other SAN really; it's just really fast. There’s probably more VMware-type issues that you might have to run into. I’d look into how to set up a lot of iSCSIs if you have a lot of databases. Other than that, it wasn't so bad.
            it_user335835
            Global Manager (Storage) Cloud Managed Services at IT Convergence
            Jan 5, 2017
            It requires less real estate in the data center, saves power, and adds serviceable IOPS.

What other advice do I have?

It has usually been a unified computing platform with NetApp All Flash; so you get NAS and SAN protocols from the same box. I would encourage my colleagues to evaluate multiple products, and find the right fit for their use cases.
            it_user527298
            Storage Administrator at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Jan 5, 2017
            It runs on a native ONTAP operating system and supports multi-tenancy.

What other advice do I have?

This is proven technology. You cannot question its reliability and its high scalability. It is a very solid solution. If you are looking for high performance storage gear, it is definitely a very strong solution. We have been a long-time consumer of NetApp solutions. The reliability with NetApp is very valuable to us. We don’t want to put that at stake by trying another solution. I currently use several other NetApp systems, such as cDOT. We are pretty much a NetApp house. We are also using a number of systems in parallel with this tool. We have a EMC VNX unified converged solution, IBM DS…
            it_user527220
            Service Manager IT at a tech company with 51-200 employees
            Jan 4, 2017
            Performance and density are two important things for us. I am looking forward to the SolidFire integration.

What other advice do I have?

When looking for a vendor, I definitely look the product they are offering. I look at what the change is and how it will make a change for us. I look at the costs and benefits, the ROI, and the operation. I am not technical, so I cannot give technical advice. However, I am part of the decision-making process at my organization. We are the central hub of providing the whole infrastructure to the company. We do a lot of homework. If we decide that we want to go with this solution and we can prove the ROI to our senior leadership, then that's that. We are then on it.
            it_user527340
            Storage Technical Lead at Mercadolibre.com
            Jan 4, 2017
            We moved volumes across the cluster without downtime.
            it_user527412
            Sr. Unix Administrator at Synopsys
            Jan 4, 2017
            Deduplication​ saves space because we use it for VDA.

What other advice do I have?

You definitely should consider it. One important factor for working with vendors is flexibility. The ease to use many features like FlexClone, SnapMirror and disaster recovery features. Other than that, the support prospect is very important to us. So the storage unit itself was not the only thing we considered before deciding to go with this particular solution.
            it_user527148
            System Administrator at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
            Jan 2, 2017
            We have some OLTP applications. It is useful for that environment.

What other advice do I have?

So far, my experience with ONTAP is really good. It is highly available, easy to use, easily scalable, easy to implement, and so far, we are really happy with it. We are really happy with the performance, ROI, and the cost. I would give it a perfect rating if they reduced the cost – it is still expensive – and then, what I have mentioned about HA. The most important criteria for me when selecting a product are that it is highly available, scalable, and easy to use. It should be able to work in our environment, basically; in a mixed-workload environment.
            it_user527127
            IT Consultant at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
            Dec 21, 2016
            Performance is the most important feature. We use it for SQL, Oracle and SAP.

What other advice do I have?

As a storage admin, I just need to install my storage. I don't want someone to call me back and say, “Oh, there is an issue.” Right now, we don't have complaints from users. That means less stress, which is fantastic. The interface is pretty good. It’s really easy to use. The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with are stability; how much they improve the technology; service; and support. All of these together are very important.
            it_user527169
            Lead Storage Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Dec 20, 2016
            It integrates with the NAS solutions we use. Bugs need to be addressed at a much earlier level.

What other advice do I have?

It does integrate; if you know the FAS series platform, it's not much different if you know CDOT. It's not much different doing implementation. Determine which volumes need to go where; do that preparation from the customer’s perspective: how they want to use the product rather than how to deploy a product.
            it_user527238
            Sr. SAN Engineer at a religious institution with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Dec 20, 2016
            I can rely on the IOPS being there. Latency is predictable and low, and snapshots do not affect it.
            Christopher Privitere
            Unix Engineer at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
            Dec 19, 2016
            It provides the simplicity of having a pool of storage and not worrying about issues such as IOPS, the number of disks, or carving up aggregates.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor to work with, for whether or not we talk to them, I think we look at those things like reliability and reputation. As far as who we choose, once we've got that process started, it tends to be the vendors that are willing to work with us in the sales process and give us lots of answers; give us lots of demos. We like to get a feel that they actually understand what we need; that the tech teams and the local teams that we're working with are capable of understanding what is going on technically; and they're not just fly by night: "They've been working here for three…
            it_user527160
            Storage and Unix System Administrator at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
            Dec 14, 2016
            It promises to deliver lower-latency throughput. We haven't put it through its paces yet.

What other advice do I have?

Give more attention to your VDI solution. We have already implemented a VDI solution that's not using flash. That's a perfect workload candidate to put on flash. For my organization, it might have made more sense to put the back end on our NetApp All-Flash FAS, because we have the skill set to administer the storage, as opposed to bringing in another topology that might have some issues. To be able to give it a higher rating, I would need to actually go and take that car out on some highways, where I could really open it up. I haven't given it a chance yet. That said, I would need to see it…
            it_user527151
            Director IT at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Dec 13, 2016
            With SAP databases, there's significant performance improvement.

What other advice do I have?

If you are a NetApp customer and considering a new technology, you need to look at the additional cost of doing things or administrating another thing. If you are completely moving from NetApp to a new vendor altogether, can they do everything? Transitioning from one storage to another takes a long time. At the end of the day, your servers and other things, they don't have anything there, like transient, that you can replace any time. But when it comes to storage, your storage is important. If you give me the storage, I can do pretty much everything. If your data is available, you can figure…
            it_user527199
            Mission Command Systems at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Dec 5, 2016
            I can quickly and efficiently bring the system up and shut it down, when necessary.
            it_user527205
            Senior Systems Administrator at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
            Dec 4, 2016
            We use it for some SQL databases and a VDI solution. Initial setup is simple; they code the cabling.

What other advice do I have?

If you have experience with NetApp, you shouldn't have any trouble with it. If you don't, I would suggest the training. It's pretty straightforward, but that'll always help.
            it_user527295
            Sr. Storage Administrator at Mentor Graphics
            Dec 4, 2016
            It's offloaded workload that was compromising other workloads because of performance degradation.

What other advice do I have?

Flash right now is just a hot ticket. If you've got performance-intensive workloads, and because the NetApp suite of tools that can come along with it, then, yes, I would recommend to colleagues that they take a look at it. It's still pretty new to us, but what we expect it to do, it's doing. As we get more familiar with it, and if we see that we can scale it out and add more to it, I think I would be able to rate it higher pretty easily.
            it_user527232
            Senior Consultant at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Nov 30, 2016
            We spread it out across multiple environments using multiple protocols.

What other advice do I have?

Offering advice is pretty difficult for me, because there's a lot of good to it. It depends on the application; that is a big thing. Smaller environments can probably benefit more from the E-Series. We're multi-client, so having the ability to break it out into SVMs is really helpful. The biggest thing is, if you've got multiple clients and you need to deliver performance to them, the AFF is hard to beat. The two biggest criteria for me when selecting a vendor are knowledgeability and accessibility; being able to reach the people that support us, and having them know exactly what to do. I'm…
            it_user527130
            Systems Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
            Nov 30, 2016
            We use the speed for all of our database. It takes less time to get to the database and to get data back to applications.

What other advice do I have?

Start with planning and whatever you think you need, double it. That's the word of mouth; that’s what most everybody says. We bought 20 TBs of flash to start, thinking that's all we would need, and in less than a year, we already reached 14 TBs. Once you go to it, you don't go back. Once everybody gets their speed, they don't ever want to lose that. The nice thing about flash is that it protects the poorly written code. That's our favorite thing to tell the programmers.
            it_user527103
            Storage Administrator at Desire 2 Learn Inc
            Nov 30, 2016
            Performance is the number one feature. As far as scalability, we can extend to new nodes and move data around at will.

What other advice do I have?

I've been a NetApp advocate for many years, so I definitely say, look into it because of the performance, the stability, the scalability, the support.
            it_user550308
            Storage Analyst at Ativas Data Center
            Nov 30, 2016
            A flexible solution for a variety of workloads.

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: The ease of putting a number of technologies, for example, a backup, in a single solution. I don’t have to worry about other solutions in order to integrate, to format a new product and deliver it to my client. Yes, I recommend the solution, and I even introduce myself by calling the clients to try the All-Flash, and after the client tries it, he/she does not go back to another player or another solution. Anyone who gives All-Flash a try won’t go back to what he or she had before. I would give it a nine because there is a lot of flexibility in…
            it_user527310
            Storage Architect at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
            Nov 28, 2016
            Potential hardware issues have been removed from the equation.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you understand the entire storage portfolio, that you understand your requirements. Don't get into the situation that a lot of people get into – that we typically got into ourselves – and purchase something because you need it as an offering. The All Flash FAS solution is a great solution and it fits right into your current infrastructure if you're running clustered ONTAP and you're familiar with All Flash FAS, but understand your workload and make sure you're getting what you need. I don't know that I have that good of a reason for my rating. Based on what I saw at a recent…
            it_user527337
            Datacenter, NOC & IT Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
            Nov 28, 2016
            It definitely has some advantages for running database transactions. SnapMirrors will give us the opportunity to virtualize the database.

What other advice do I have?

Depending on what you're looking for, I recommend looking at FlexPod as well as AFF. Price it out with some of the other solutions that are out there. I am not that familiar with what EMC and some of the others have to say. Compare and contrast, and figure out what is it you're trying to do. I used to be in the sales role in a very large company that's not around anymore. Customers always appreciated it if when I told them, “Hey, you're overbuilding this. You're going to spend way more than you need to.” That’s my advice. When I select a vendor to work with, I look at a little bit of…
            it_user527355
            Architect at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Nov 28, 2016
            The most valuable feature is the performance; the latency with our high-IO database systems.

What other advice do I have?

It was really easy to install, it was seamless to move the data over to it, and it's performing as we expected it to perform. The vendor relationship is really important to us when selecting a vendor to work with. We're a good people company so for us being able to relate to our salesman and getting a good understanding of what our needs actually are was really important to us. From a technical level it all comes down to it's need to be reliable and we needed a solution that we didn't want to hire people just to manage it. It needs to be able to just setup and we need to be able to run and…
            it_user527313
            Solution Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Nov 28, 2016
            The most valuable feature is not having to worry about whether I assign the right platform to a workload.

What other advice do I have?

Really look at it from the standpoint of, what workloads you have today? What are the performance characteristics? Are you taking full advantage of what you have today? From a data mobility perspective, does that matter to you? It mattered to us, and that's something that NetApp brings to the table. Or, we can move it from the All Flash FAS to another platform, and then if it spikes up again, move it back, non-disruptively. It's really, really good for everything that we've used it for. At somewhere in the range of a quarter of a million dollars, it's a lot of money; you get what you pay for.
            it_user527106
            Systems Architect at Equifax
            Nov 27, 2016
            Pricing is competitive, you can get it up and running quickly, and it's easy to use.

What other advice do I have?

Everybody pretty much can do the same. The issue is how complicated it is to get to what you're really trying to do. That's the one thing that I've seen. NetApp does a good job. They're much more mature, as I’ve mentioned. It's easy to drill down to get to the data, get it set up and get it configured, and it works. We've only been using it three months. We haven't hit any issues with it yet; I can't say that we won't, but I'm not expecting to.
            it_user527214
            Storage Administrator at College board
            Nov 27, 2016
            I no longer worry about disk utilization problems.

What other advice do I have?

It depends on their feature set. If they just need a niche product, they may want to go to a different platform; not that they need to, but they could consider that. If they're looking for something that covers everything, then the All Flash FAS will be enough. All of it's pretty simple. All the feature sets are very straightforward to me, coming from the FAS environment. I have given it a perfect rating because it's easy. Nothing's wrong with it. I don't have any problems. It's easy to set up. I'm good to go. I don't have any issues with it. It's very easy to use. The most important criteria…
            it_user527115
            VP of Systems Integration at Klas Telecom Government, Inc.
            Nov 24, 2016
            The user experience sets it above several competitors. Despite great geographic distances, it can present data in one location.

What other advice do I have?

Given NetApp's strength, size and customer base, they bring a wide array of knowledge to any solution. It's just trying to find the right solution within the NetApp portfolio that will meet the customer's needs. Instead of overselling the solution, find the one that meets their requirements the best and pursue that. The NetApp sales team, as well as their support, has done a good job at helping us to realize where those little niches are, to fit in the problems.
            it_user527376
            IT Storage Admin at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Nov 24, 2016
            We need the flash. We need the IOPS.

What other advice do I have?

Follow best practices. Your best practices do a good job of laying out the very best way of doing it, usually, for most environments, at least. When I’m choosing a vendor, I look at the amount of storage I’m getting for my money, the features I’m getting with that money, the support that we're getting with it, ease of use, management, and so on. What are we going to have the ability to do? What's controlled by the software/firmware? That kind of thing. We found all of those things in NetApp with AFF. As I’ve mentioned, management's been really easy for us; the ONTAP software's been great.
            it_user527364
            VP Global Storage at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
            Nov 24, 2016
            We are looking for it to meet the workload demands of some of our real high IO clients.

What other advice do I have?

Look at TCO. Most people look at flash and just look at it as being expensive: “Can we avoid it and use something cheaper?” There are other savings besides just the straight-out, raw cost. I think it does what we need pretty well. I can't give it a perfect rating because we haven't thrown a giant production workload on it to see how it scales and works. So far, it's doing what we need it to do.
            it_user550299
            Storage Engineer at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Nov 23, 2016
            Predictable performance has stayed below a millisecond. Low latency has been good.

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when I’m looking for a vendor are stability and availability. Cost is always thrown in there, but it's not the first one. And then support is becoming more and more important to us; being able to get to the right person at the right time. From the All Flash, from being a NetApp customer for quite a while, having all protocols in one box is very powerful. And so, I would say, that would be a great thing to consider when you're considering the all flash array is, most of the all flash arrays out in the market today are block. They do have the file protocol, they're…
            it_user527181
            System Administrator at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Nov 23, 2016
            Speed is the most valuable feature. It supports all of protocols that we need.

What other advice do I have?

When I select a vendor such as NetApp to work with, I don’t look just at the performance; I look at reliability, scalability, replication, disaster recovery; to be able to do this all efficiently, plus their SnapMirroring and snapshotting capability. We've been used to whatever features NetApp provides and when we look at any other storage company, they have certain pieces here and there but they say, we don't this or don’t do that. What we see is that NetApp supports all of protocols that we need: NAS, SAN, iSCSI. It's all in one, all together.
            it_user527091
            System Administrator at Sinclair Oil
            Nov 22, 2016
            We want the performance and high availability for our VDI environments.

What other advice do I have?

Depending on what the project is, I'd definitely tell someone looking asking me for advice to take a look at NetApp. Although NetApp is a great product, it doesn't fit every single solution, the different sizes. NetApp is a little more on the expensive side, so it'd just have to fit whatever that they're trying to do, whatever their company is. I'd probably tell them to take a look at what's out there, what would fit them, but I would give a good nod to NetApp. They've always done us quite well.
            it_user527286
            Director Of IT at Wyrick Robbins Yates & Ponton LLP
            Nov 22, 2016
            There is no latency whatsoever. It is stable and fully redundant.

What other advice do I have?

It does what it’s meant to do; works extremely well in our environment. We have multiple data centers and the replication works really well. Overall, it's pretty easy to use. Look at your individual company's needs. In general, look at your nice-to-haves and must-haves, and then weigh the options and see what works best. NetApp has been a great, established company. We've had a good relationship with NetApp for a long time and so we would recommend them to a colleague.
            it_user527325
            System Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
            Nov 16, 2016
            We use it for VMDK files, data stores, and VMs in general.
            it_user527163
            Systems Manager at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Nov 9, 2016
            The technology took care of performance issues, bottlenecks.

What other advice do I have?

Understand what your workload is first. What is it that you're trying to accomplish so you set the proper thresholds and criteria for performance. Understand what your support service needs are. Is that important? How important? It's not always about cost. We found that in all those areas, with our evaluation, NetApp was a clear choice for us, based upon past experience. We continue to have success with NetApp.
            it_user527157
            Sr IT Specialist II at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
            Nov 9, 2016
            It provides multi-platform support. FlexCloning is useful for database refreshes.

What other advice do I have?

If you're not already in flash, you should probably start thinking about just buying just flash. Flash helps relieve some of the performance capacity management overhead that comes with traditional spinning disk platforms. What I would suggest to people that are looking at flash is to make sure they're able to do proper sizing. With buying flash, you need to also make sure your controllers are able to support the workloads you expect the flash to handle. I think flash removes the disk as the bottleneck, but then that pushes that bottleneck down to other hardware components, such as either the…
            it_user527139
            Storage Administrator at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Nov 9, 2016
            It's nice that we didn't have to learn a new interface when moving to flash.

What other advice do I have?

A lot of companies will tell you that they're the best at what they do. As a company, I think it's very important that you look at POCs to see if you can get them. Everybody can tell you they have the best product, but until you can actually prove it on your workload, you really don't know 100% for sure. When selecting a vendor to work with, as a company, we have had a tendency to just go and buy the "best of breed," which sometimes included arrays from multiple vendors. As a company, we have five different brands of arrays. You can't become an expert in something if you have five different…
            it_user527142
            Infrastructure Architect at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Nov 9, 2016
            Performance is the most valuable feature for us. Flexibility and the multi-tenancy are also valuable.

What other advice do I have?

Look at NetApp first. The flexibility they offer, the performance, and all the features they have. I can't think of anything that we can't do with that product. That's where we go to first now. We have a lot of other products. We have a lot of other storage vendors: Hitachi, IBM, EMC. We've had other NetApp FAS products, not just the All Flash one. We still have other NetApp FAS products. Since we've had the All Flash FAS, because of its reliability and everything that goes with it, it’s the first thing that the application people ask for. When we talk to them about needing more storage, they…
            it_user527304
            Systems Analyst at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
            Nov 3, 2016
            We moved from an old 7-mode cluster using old SAS drives to a new all-flash pool, mostly for performance purposes.
            it_user527271
            Exchange Administrator at Albuquerque Public Schools
            Nov 3, 2016
            Speed is one of the most valuable features, with IOPS being the most important.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that an AFF is necessary before you buy one, because a FAS full of SSDs is very expensive and might not be necessary to meet your needs. You get plenty of IOPS out of a SAS and they are comparatively inexpensive so that you can increase your spindle count to make up for the IOPS of SSD; when you do that, you gain capacity too. Don't let yourself be bullied by a vendor saying, "This software solution requires this level of hardware to back it up," because NetApp has already proven that's not the case.
            it_user527136
            Storage Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
            Nov 3, 2016
            Using the compression and the dedupe saves data space.

What other advice do I have?

We do a lot of work with our NetApp professional services or just design teams. Get help with them to start it out, so you have some kind of baseline. Don't just go run out there and buy something. (I guess if you have the money, you can go out there and try it.) We've been working with a pretty good support team that we get to bounce things off of. I can't find anything bad about them. It's been a big improvement for us. When I look for a vendor, support is important to me. You want to be able to buy a piece of equipment, run a piece of equipment, you don't know anything about, and know that…
            it_user524088
            Storage Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Nov 3, 2016
            We use it for backups instead of using tapes.

What other advice do I have?

I have been working with NetApp for something like 10 years, and I have worked for about a year with IBM and EMC. The choice depends on the company and the user. For some companies, NetApp might not be suitable for different reasons. For example, my previous company used fiber channel more. Every company thinks that NetApp is a NAS solution, not a SAN solution. In that case, if they need a SAN solution, they think it has to come from a different company. My previous company thought the same way. However, we implemented some SAN on the NetApp side, and they're happy.
            it_user527097
            System Engineer at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Nov 3, 2016
            We use it for virtualization of the Xen desktops and also our VMware systems.

What other advice do I have?

The NetApp partner you're working with is important. Understand what you're trying to do and the networking stuff, to make sure that it fails over and everything works from a networking standpoint. I'm guessing it's probably where it's the weakest, so it's the most frustrating for me. When I look for a vendor for a solution such as AFF or spinning disk, we put together requirements, check them off and weigh the requirements against the vendors. In the end, we make a decision and we also make sure they're comparable in regards to pricing. Quotes are pulled from multiple vendors. The…
            it_user527379
            Associate System Engineer III at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Nov 1, 2016
            We deployed it to troubleshoot storage performance.

What other advice do I have?

I can't really give any advice because I don't really have anything to compare it to. We've deployed and it's worked well for us, so I would definitely recommend it but I can't recommend it against anything else. We haven't seen any issues, but it's software and hardware so there will be one at some point.
            it_user522732
            Service Design Engineering at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
            Nov 1, 2016
            It provides speed and performance for our transactional workloads for our databases.

• "The most valuable features are the speed and performance for our transactional workloads for our databases."
            • "I think for us, improvement would probably be the changes in how the flash is actually used inside the system and how we manage the actual disk and stripes within the system."

What other advice do I have?

If you implement AFF, find the right workload solution for what business problem you're trying to solve initially. For us, we found the problem and a solution for it. Does it help everything? Maybe not necessarily. It depends on what your application is and what you're doing. It'll help but it might not help everything. It depends on whether the price point is right to solve that problem. For us, the price point was certainly right. We're going to continue to work toward it. As we go through time, we acquired it. We've got a taste for it now. Our customers certainly do. We'll probably be…
            it_user527322
            NAS Team Lead at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Oct 25, 2016
            It offers low latency, high IOPS, and a small footprint with a large amount of data. The interface and the user experience could be simpler.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I’d give depends on what the need is. If you're looking for a NAS-type device that's all flash, NetApp's still pretty much the king in the NAS environment. The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with is cost, and then of course whether or not they're a willing partner. That's one reason why we stayed with NetApp as long as we have: They're not always interested in selling us something as much as coming up with solutions for some of our problems.
            it_user527403
            Systems Engineer at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
            Oct 20, 2016
            Provides the ability to quickly recover your data, which it makes available and accessible.

What other advice do I have?

Do your research. Find what would work for you. Find what's affordable to you. Most of the time, we purchase stuff without thinking about the maintenance. Maintenance is usually a killer when it comes to all these things because once you own it, you think you are done with spending money but maintenance becomes a very big issue for a lot of companies. After a while, they drop the support and everything. At that point, there's a new version that's out there and you can't use it, so that's when you have to dump all the money you just put in and start with something new. Study your environment…
            it_user527394
            VP IT at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Oct 20, 2016
            It allowed us to add flash to our existing platform.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the simplicity of the operations and the scalability of the products. Being a small company, we're big in storage but we have a small operations group, so I think simplicity just makes our team more efficient. Adding different tools or different storage vendors is just going to add a lot of complexity into our environment.
            it_user527289
            Sr Data Storage Administrator at Denver Health
            Oct 20, 2016
            The valuable features include the ability to have the storage efficiency of compaction, compression and in-line dedupe.

What other advice do I have?

I don’t recommend looking at any one specific vendor, but one of my biggest concerns is having a lot of different components that are brought together. I like having things simple, lowering the number of interdependencies for the storage platform; whatever makes that less likely and less prone to have failure. The other vendors out there that we have looked at have always been bringing different solutions together and having it be a construct of many parts. That played a big role; the most important thing for this hardware to do was to stay up and running, and required the least amount of…
            it_user527319
            Sr. Systems Administrator - Storage at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Oct 20, 2016
            We moved from mechanical disks to flash in order to speed up our BI reports.

What other advice do I have?

Do it. You won't regret it. I like the product, and am quite happy with it. When I choose a vendor, some of the criteria I look for are support, the ability to execute and a mature product line.
            it_user527307
            System Engineer at a engineering company with 501-1,000 employees
            Oct 20, 2016
            For us, the most valuable features were the SnapMirroring, deduplication, and inline compression.

What other advice do I have?

Try out what you actually want to do, because that's actually the problem we had; some of our people swore up and down that NetApp wouldn't be able to do compression at the new rates that they got, or that we got. They said that Oracle doesn't compress and so on. We ended up getting them to stick some of their machines on our NetApp, and we showed them that you actually do get it. We actually bought ours and then we tried to show those other people before they got to the bidding table for theirs. They didn't really want to listen to the facts. They went with IBM. I wouldn't say they were not…
            it_user220509
            Sr. System Architect at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Oct 20, 2016
            It provides high performance and low latency that our retail application requires.

What other advice do I have?

The mix we currently have with 8080 for traditional spinning disk workloads for VMware and file sharing – those kinds of things – mixed in a cluster with the All Flash FAS system, does everything we could possibly ever ask of the system. One set of management tools, one set of skills to manage all the capability, I think it’s an excellent solution.
            it_user527385
            Manager, Windows Engineering and Virtualization at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Oct 20, 2016
            We deploy high-demand applications, and it's the fastest we can get through this vendor.

What other advice do I have?

Be sparing in capacity and don't just throw it around. Storage is cheap now, but AFF, as I’ve mentioned, is not cheap, so be cautious in how you use it. That’s something that needs to be analyzed before you start the process. It’s the kind of good homework to prepare. I think that goes for anything, but doubly for expensive flash. Just make sure that's really what you want and what you need. When I’m looking at vendors, I need them to know exactly what they're selling to me does. I need them to know the competition, so they're offering a fair comparison and not just offering a vendor lock-in…
            it_user527358
            Senior System Administrator at a media company with 51-200 employees
            Oct 20, 2016
            The speed and stability are the two most valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend it. I think it's a great road to go down. Like I’ve mentioned, I haven't had any problems with it. The two things we were looking for, it does excellently. The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with are availability and knowledge: if something helps me go down the right path and pick it, if someone gives the pros and cons for everything we need, and be able to get a hold of them when I need to get a hold of them.
            it_user527388
            System Administrator at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Oct 20, 2016
            Inline deduplication and compression are valuable. It's improved our tempdb access.

What other advice do I have?

If you've already got NetApp, you can't go wrong. It's a fantastic system and it's solved a lot of our issues for application performance and it's probably one of the best storage systems I've worked with and yet the only reason I dock it a few points is because there's still the future. There's problems we have yet to solve, unknowns. There's always going to be issues in the future, we just don't know what they are yet, whether it's NPS storage, whether it's migration to the cloud. We have a business initiative to move to the cloud. There are a few oddities, only because some of our systems…
            it_user527334
            Systems Engineer at American Health Network
            Oct 19, 2016
            Pure Storage M20 vs. NetApp All Flash FAS

What other advice do I have?

Keep an open mind. Different vendors do different things in a different way. NetApp is highly complicated, it's very robust. In comparison, Pure's interface is about as simple as it gets. But they all support fewer protocols then NetApp. The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with is approachability. I like people I can talk to; if you get overly technical and it's all technical garbage and you're not really a personal type person. I hate to say it, but I base a purchase off that. If I'm going to be working with someone for a number of years, I want to make sure…
            it_user527391
            Systems Engineer II at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Oct 16, 2016
            EMC VMAX 10K VS. NetApp All Flash FAS

What other advice do I have?

Talk to your peers. Go talk to the industry; talk to all the people in the industry. See what they're using. See what their thoughts are. I think that if we had done that from the beginning, we might not have done it the way we did. Maybe we would have gone NetApp all the way; I don't know. That's one of the things I would do I guess, in hindsight.
            it_user527154
            Director of Network Operations at Vornado
            Oct 16, 2016
            It provides sub-millisecond latency, especially with SQL and Exchange.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely use professional services, because there are a lot of moving parts and they can guide you through the best practices. If you are going to do it, give your current performance metrics to NetApp or whoever else, so that they can see how much storage you're using, how much it would be if it went through the dedupe scenarios and also what your response time should be at the end of everything.
            it_user527400
            Infrastructure Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Oct 13, 2016
            Performance is it's most valuable feature.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you don't jump into something that you'll regret later on. I think a lot of people are jumping into other smaller vendors at the moment and I think they're going to get burnt one day. Really look deeper into the solution and the products. I haven't really given it a full go yet, but so far so good.
            it_user527415
            Principal Systems Engineer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Oct 13, 2016
            We use it for Citrix XenApp profiles. It's fast and stable.

What other advice do I have?

I think that you need to evaluate your use case and do a proof of concept, testing on multiple platforms, and see what works best for you.
            it_user527418
            Senior Systems Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Oct 13, 2016
            It provides fast VDI services for our call center.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the full product range that NetApp has to offer. They have something for everybody. Their portfolio is so wide. If you're a DevOp shop, look at SolidFire. There are products for the Edge consumer, ROBO, and cloud. All of them talk together with the data fabric.
            it_user489189
            Senior Storage Engineer (3rd level) at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Aug 15, 2016
            Great performance for OLTP systems.

What other advice do I have?

Carefully estimate the IOPS profile of the workload that is going to be deployed on AFF as it is optimized for random I/O.
            it_user353850
            System specialist UNIX/SAN with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Jan 29, 2016
            We do not use it for our customers, just to manage our internal CRM proposals. It helps us manage our entire CRM.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise you to make sure that you need flash as it is very specific and regular FAS may work for you. However, if you need flash, this is a good product to get.
            it_user353367
            IT Manager Infrastructure & Operations at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Dec 14, 2015
            We were very pleased with the average speed in the past, but it’s now consistent. The performance is consistent and that’s much more important than that it's faster.

What other advice do I have?

Go with flash. We not have more free time because we can just press a button and deploy three of 500 VDI's at once. We don't have to invest in high-performance disks because we use flash.
            it_user353979
            First ICT manager at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Dec 13, 2015
            Previously, we had to reprogram every three months or so, so not having to do that with AFF is huge. Scalability is difficult, as the number of shelves is limited to 2 or 4.

What other advice do I have?

We've had a good experience with it so far. Right now, we're using it for our customers, but if we were to also use it for ourselves, it would be too small. I'm sure they'll improve in the future, but we'll just have to wait for the solution to support ten to fifteen thousand users.
            it_user352320
            Software Developer at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
            Dec 11, 2015
            With Data ONTAP clusters, we've been able to unify our servers and have unified management of them. I'd like to see a web-based front end in addition to the CLI.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us are the secure multi-tenancy to Data ONTAP and High Availability built into Data ONTAP that provides almost no downtime.

How has it helped my organization?

With Data ONTAP clusters, we've been able to unify our servers and have unified management of them. We can also scale freely.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see a web-based front end in addition to the CLI.

We've been using it for three months, including the proof of concept.

We haven't had any issues with deployment.

It's been stable for us.

It's…
            it_user352293
            Team Coordinator Storage/Backup at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Dec 11, 2015
            It’s a flash array that works seamlessly with other NetApp products.

What other advice do I have?

I would say if you need high availability across different sites, then think if the right product for you because of speed limitations.
            it_user352176
            Core Infrastructure Manager at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
            Dec 11, 2015
            We're already cluster-mode so we can just slide the AFF into the existing cluster and migrate all our data across relatively seamlessly. The existing filers, are struggling on the load.

What other advice do I have?

It's interesting as in it's come down at a price-point now to where it's much more feasible than it was even two or three years ago, to go down the old-fashioned road. It doesn't mean necessarily it's the right thing to do, I don't think. I think it's important that as a customer you understand what your requirements are.
            it_user352155
            ICT Infrastructure Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Dec 11, 2015
            We're able to treat more patients now because our workloads are performing faster, though I'd like to see online duplication, which I believe will be available with 8.3.2.

What other advice do I have?

I think it fits a lot of peoples requirements, but I'd recommend waiting until v8.3.2 just for the additional features and to resolve some books. Other than that, it's great.
            it_user352137
            Manager Group IT Service at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
            Dec 11, 2015
            We're using only about one fifth of the formal capabilities of the systems. We're still running Oracle DW and 50% of the system is consumed, but this is not causing any issues during daily business.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely encourage everybody to implement such a system because it's really, really performing so good and latencies are just excellent. We're on the SSDs which have been productive for three months.
            it_user352125
            Unix & Storage Manager at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Dec 11, 2015
            It has a very fast response time, although it needs higher IOPS.

What other advice do I have?

It depends on your workload, as you have to add an SSD, so take it only if you need it because the whole thing is expensive. On the other side, if you do need this solution and it does not meet your expectations, you should change your settings, and move from NFS to fibre channel.
            it_user352113
            Software Automation Developer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
            Dec 11, 2015
            ​We use it for automating cloud deployments of SAP applications and products, but it has issues with deleting big data.

What is most valuable?

SnapMirror is definitely the most valuable feature for us. It allows us to have a snapshot in minutes and we can use it to restore quickly from a backup. Also, the speed of AFF is great.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it for automating cloud deployments of SAP applications and products.

What needs improvement?

They have issues with deleting big data.

We've been using it since September.

We encountered no deployment issues.

It's generally stable.

It scales to our needs.

it_user352080
            Head of Data Center at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Dec 11, 2015
            We needed something faster than NFC, and we now have a 30 second latency, down from 60 seconds. However, we had a few problems implementing the devices due to a lack of training.
            it_user352065
            IT System Architect at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
            Dec 11, 2015
            We have reduced latency from 100 milliseconds to just 1 millisecond. However, 8.3 is not as stable as 7-Mode as it gets stuck every once in a while.

What is most valuable?

The flash pool and flash cache features are most valuable to us because they automate storage tiering combine HDDs and SSDs.

How has it helped my organization?

It's highly integrated with VMware and it's very fast. We have reduced latency from 100 milliseconds to just 1 millisecond.

What needs improvement?

8.3 is not as stable as 7-Mode as it gets stuck every once in a while.

We've used it for three to four months for OLTP and our Oracle database.

We've had no issues with deployment.

8.3 gets stuck every once in a while.

It scales to our…
            it_user351210
            System Administrator at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
            Dec 11, 2015
            It's given us the ability to move from a switchless cluster setup to a switched cluster setup without any impact on performance or availability.

What other advice do I have?

Just go for it.
            it_user351201
            Storage Architect at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Dec 11, 2015
            We were able to migrate from a flash pool to AFF very effectively and efficiently. They need to decrease the latency and to improve the transmission in PNE STE using compression.

What other advice do I have?

Before buying, look at the migration plans. Try it and buy it.
            it_user351183
            System Engineer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Dec 11, 2015
            It integrates well with our environment, specifically with disaster recovery, high availability, management, performance, and historic and current performance metrics.

What other advice do I have?

It performs like we expect and is stable. Always do a proof of concept, and if you go with AFF, especially for a VMware environment. Also, opt for OnCommand InSight software for performance metrics and recommendations.
            it_user351168
            R&D IT Admin at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Dec 11, 2015
            The whole process of compilation, builds, and exports takes a lot less time. So instead of 10 builds per day, I can do three times as much. I would like better monitoring apps or software.

What other advice do I have?

It's good, but not perfect. If you are already working with NetApp, this is the very clear choice.
            it_user351162
            IT Manager at Butchers Pet Care
            Dec 11, 2015
            Our business is growing, so we don’t know exactly what to expect and we throw things at our network that are new. The AFF gives us the expansion we need later on without buying more controllers.

What other advice do I have?

It's quite a jump for us from where we are coming from. Try not to think of it as a complex item. Instead, think of it in terms of what you want it to do and what the business needs it to do rather than putting the kitchen sink in it at the start.
            it_user351156
            Senior Consultant at Ahd Hellweg Data GmbH & Co. KG
            Dec 11, 2015
            My client's data warehouse system and ERP is ten times faster with Flash FAS than with hard discs. Inline deduplication would be great to have.

What other advice do I have?

Partner choice is important when using enterprise storage. They can give you a lot more help when you have questions, train you, and give you other managed services if you need. You can combine this with normal hardware support. There are three levels of partners-- Normal reseller: You order the product and NetApp will send you a technician to install the system. Professional Services Partner: They install the system and implement a complete solution like VDI environments. They will not normally provide support cases, and it normally reverts to NetApp. Service Certified partner: They will give…
            it_user351153
            IT Administrator for Storage and Virtualization at Eurofins
            Dec 10, 2015
            With flash, our customers can see lab results much faster and can then send new requests for labs faster. A couple of areas during setup, could be streamlined or made a little more clear.

What is most valuable?

Clustered Data ONTAP Data recovery Protection

How has it helped my organization?

Our company has a web application for post-lab test results, and with flash, the application is much faster than it used to be. The customers can see results much faster and can then send new requests for labs faster.

What needs improvement?

At the moment it's perfect to me because I haven’t used it that long.

We've used it for about a month with different applications for laboratory software.

We had no issues with deployment.

So far the stability is excellent

it_user351150
            System Specialist at Fujitsu Sweden AB
            Dec 10, 2015
            It sped up our data queries and we can work more efficiently. These queries are now done in seconds rather than minutes, affecting everything we do on a day-to-day basis.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a great choice, and you are on the right path using this product.
            it_user351144
            Consultant at Grand Consult
            Dec 10, 2015
            It allows us to shrink the maintenance windows and downtime, although it would be great to combine all the software solutions together under a single GUI.

What other advice do I have?

It's definitely worth it if you need the speed.
            it_user346356
            CTO at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Dec 10, 2015
            It has SnapManager, something Pure Storage lacks, allowing us to copy production DBs.

What other advice do I have?

Buy it if you need the speed and SnapManager.
            it_user346323
            Operations Manager at OUTSCALE
            Dec 10, 2015
            It’s the same OS as the regular NetApp FAS, so you don’t need to learn anything again. I'd like to see a one-click-and-start feature for the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

It is still cluster mode, and is complex to set up the first time. You have to plan a long time ahead during the initial setup because you don’t know how you will want to scale. We only looked at NFS because that’s what we need. If you need flash speed and NFS today you only have AFF. If you are looking at SAN, check out all the companies and features to compare them.
            it_user346131
            System Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Dec 10, 2015
            The peak loads on a software install for VDI desktops now have lower latency. If the price for SSDs comes down and we can switch everything to flash, that would be an improvement.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a good product, performs well and is easy to get up and running. If you need the speed, go for it.
            it_user332643
            Enterprise Data Storage Engineer III at University of Kentucky
            Oct 29, 2015
            If I need sub-millisecond 300,000 IOPS, Flash FAS will provide that for us. And although initial setup seems very complicated, it becomes intuitive afterwards.

Valuable Features

Hands down, the most valuable feature is the speed of flash.

Improvements to My Organization

With anything that’s flash, it comes down to speed. If I need sub-millisecond 300,000 IOPS, for example, Flash FAS will provide that for us.

Room for Improvement

I've not been using it long enough to know.

None.

We’re just starting out, so hard to say. So far, so good.

So far, it looks like it's going to be incredibly scalable as I just install additional nodes as needed.

It's fantastic. NetApp is awesome.

Once you’ve done one, it seems very intuitive. However, the first time seems very complicated.

Other Advice

Buy as much as you can afford.…
            it_user331812
            VP Systems Integrator at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
            Oct 22, 2015
            Being able to network multiple 880 series together to increase speed is nice.

Valuable Features:

The speed, we have multiple apps with high IO requirements (Hadoop, Mongo, and some monitoring tools), we’re using our monitoring tools to spin up and spin down our environment.

Improvements to My Organization:

Flexibility, being able to network multiple 880 series together to increase speed. We’re building a four head environment with goal of 500,000 IOPS/second. With the amount of data from monitoring tools and data storage, we need incredible speeds.

Use of Solution:

We've been using NetApp products for 15 years.

Stability Issues:

No issues encountered, and none are anticipated.

Scalability Issues:

As we continue forward, we can add additional heads with same IOPS.

Other Advice:

From what we’ve seen so far, we’re very happy with…
            it_user331992
            Senior System Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Oct 22, 2015
            It introduced non-disruptive upgrades, but the initial setup could be streamlined.

What other advice do I have?

I’m in love with FAS series and am chomping at the bit to get my hands on all-flash What are you waiting for? They’re easy and rock solid. cDot is a gamechanger. The ability to abstract everything into the virtual layer makes management easier and gives you tremendous flexibility. Makes my life much simpler.
            it_user244362
            Managing Consultant with 51-200 employees
            Jul 28, 2015
            It's a single data management architecture that allows data to move between on-premise datacenters, cloud service providers, and hyperscale cloud providers.
            The Register wrote a damning piece about NetApp a few days ago. I felt it was irresponsible because this is akin to kicking a man when he’s down. It is easy to do that. The writer is clearly missing the forest for the trees. He was targeting NetApp’s Clustered Data ONTAP (cDOT) and missing the entire philosophy of NetApp’s mission and vision in Data Fabric. I have always been a strong believer that you must treat Data like water. Just like what Jeff Goldblum famously quoted in Jurassic Park, “Life finds a way“, data as it moves through its lifecycle, will find its way into the cloud and back. And every storage vendor today has a cloud story to tell. It is exciting to listen to everyone sharing their cloud story. Cloud makes sense when it addresses different workloads such as the sharing…
            it_user186357
            Solutions Architect with 51-200 employees
            Jan 28, 2015
            NetApp vs. XtremIO
            Is there another storage platform as feature rich as NetApp FAS? I think it is fair to say that NetApp FAS running Clustered Data ONTAP is a very feature rich platform – the move to the clustered version of ONTAP has brought many next-generation features including Scale-out and Non-disruptive Operations. As a benchmark let’s compare FAS to EMC’s solutions – I fully appreciate that EMC has taken a best of breed approach, but my feeling is that for most non-enterprise customers this is not a sustainable strategy – customers want simplicity and ease of use, and you are not going to get that by deploying four different storage platforms to meet your needs. I have chosen EMC because they are the overall market share leader and they have the broadest set of storage products available – so let’s…
            it_user176532
            Supercomputing Specialist at a tech company with 51-200 employees
            Dec 30, 2014
            I/O performance is good enough, but to achieve big capacity TB/s you need better controllers.

What other advice do I have?

Buy as much support as you can afford.