NetApp AltaVault OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

NetApp AltaVault is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Storage Gateways. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup for Office 365: NetApp AltaVault vs Veeam Backup for Office 365

What is NetApp AltaVault?

NetApp Cloud Backup (formerly AltaVault) cloud-integrated storage provides secure, fast back up data to any cloud at up to 90% lower cost compared with on-premises solutions. Cloud Backup gives you the power to tap into cloud economics while preserving investments in your existing backup infrastructure and lets you meet your backup and recovery service levels.

NetApp AltaVault is also known as AltaVault.

Download the Cloud Backup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

NetApp AltaVault Customers

Blach Construction, NASA, Riggs, Counselman, Michaels & Downes, Seminole County Public Schools and Spot Trading

NetApp AltaVault Video

NetApp AltaVault Reviews

Mohammed Fayed
Solutions Architect at STME
Easy to use, easy to install, and simple to retrieve backups

• "The solution can be used for all Office 365 applications."
  • "It would be nice if the solution was more complete. Many customers are looking for a single solution or silo that they can manage everything from. It would be nice, instead of having different products, if everything a client needed was in one solution."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an email backup and for some SharePoint instances on the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The solution can be used for all Office 365 applications.

In comparison to other backups, specifically Commvault, it's easier to work with.

What needs improvement?

In the past, there was a product called Snap Protect. If there was any sort of integration between this and the online arrays from that, it would be perfect. It would allow for a lot of integration between the on-prem and cloud. It would also help customers with migrations. It would make for a more complete platform.

We've been using the solution for two years.

The solution is quite stable. We haven't had any requests from the client in terms of support. That means, they haven't run into any bugs or glitches or have had any crashes. If they had, we would have heard about it.

The solution is based on the number of users and nothing more. You can just add subscriptions if you need to expand the solution out.

The solution's technical support is quite good. Out of ten, we would easily rate it a nine.

In the past, I have worked with Hitachi.

The functionality was good. It offered unified storage with normal arrays. However, the pricing wasn't as good.

The initials setup isn't complex. It's quite straight forward.

In terms of deployment, It depends on the number of users a company has. Once it is started, it doesn't take more than 30 minutes.

The pricing of the solution is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I don't use the solution myself, I recommend it to customers. We're a Star Partner of Netapp.

The solution is a cloud-based subscription. It doesn't need a deployment. It's subscription base, therefore, it's sort of its own service.

The solution is great for reducing headaches in the IT department. It's easy to use and narrows issues surrounding taking Office 365 to the cloud. Users can simply install it and get safe, easy access to cloud backups. They can retrieve data easily if it's deleted. They have a great data protection policy in place. All of these reasons are why I would rate it an eight out of ten.