NetApp Cloud Volumes ONTAP Overview

What is NetApp Cloud Volumes ONTAP?

The leading enterprise-grade storage management solution, delivers secure, proven storage management services and supports up to a capacity of 368TB. Software service supports various use cases, such as: File shares and block-level storage serving NAS (NFS, SMB / CIFS) and SAN (iSCSI) Disaster Recovery, Backup, and Archive DevOps Databases (SQL, Oracle, NoSQL) Cloud Volumes ONTAP is offered in a standard single-node configuration or in a High Availability (HA) configuration.

NetApp Cloud Volumes ONTAP is also known as ONTAP Cloud, CVO, NetApp CVO.

NetApp Cloud Volumes ONTAP Buyer's Guide

Download the NetApp Cloud Volumes ONTAP Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

NetApp Cloud Volumes ONTAP Customers

Rohit, AdvacnedMD, D2L, Trinity Mirror, Eidos Media, WireStorm, Cordant Group, JFK Medical Center, ALD Automotive, Healthix, City of Baton Rouge, ON Semiconductor

NetApp Cloud Volumes ONTAP Video

NetApp Cloud Volumes ONTAP Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Asim Masood
Director of Applications at Coast Capital Savings Credit Union
Jan 16, 2019
It allows us to manage our portfolio across two domains

What is our primary use case?

It provides flexibility for our VM environments. We use it to transport data between on-premise systems and the cloud. AWS is the biggest and most common use case for integration with ONTAP.

• "SnapMirror helps mirror metadata and data volumes between endpoints in a data fabric."
  • "The navigation on some of the configuration parameters is a bit cumbersome, making the learning curve on functions somewhat steep."

What other advice do I have?

We are making good use of the product. It has a lot of features and is an efficient/stable product. The recovery using Snapshots is a big plus, alongside the flexibility in volume creation for Unix, as well as Windows environments. Its challenges are on the learning curve, as well as its pricing could be improved.
Fran Maita
Analyst at 1980
Jan 15, 2019
Works very well with external data loaded in the cloud from other platforms

What is our primary use case?

Lo usamos para la seguridad en la navegación y la administración de fuentes de datos alternativas con el fin de mantener activos todos los procesos.

• "Its functionality and technical support are adequate to help prevent failure due to errors."
  • "I would like to see them improve the perspective of start and search in the panels. This would allow for better visualization of the contents that are captured in the tool."

What other advice do I have?

Es una herramienta que nos permite mantener una perspectiva sobre el estado de la información.
Learn what your peers think about NetApp Cloud Volumes ONTAP. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,536 professionals have used our research since 2012.
James Koepsel
Principal Architect at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 14, 2019
Limited scalability. Provides fast, persistent storage in the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

It functions and I think in the future it will be a reasonable method of getting NFS and the cloud. The most important factor that lead us to use OTC versus a native cloud storage solution was having enough fast capabilities and social capabilities. It is extremely important that our storage enable us to render and integrate on-premise systems with cloud services. Cloud integration is also very important for us in our selection of a future on-premise storage system. We use AWS cloud service. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: We are 95% on NetApp on-premise. We wanted…
SystemsPd6ff
Systems Programmer at a university with 10,001+ employees
Jan 14, 2019
Dedupe and compression save us significant space; it's so cost-effective we're considering reducing what we charge

What is our primary use case?

We use it for file services, both CIFS and NFS.

• "The ability for our users to restore data from the Snapshots is very valuable."

What other advice do I have?

Talk to any peer you can find about what products they looked at. We spoke to a dozen peer institutions - universities, colleges - about what they were doing for file services. We found a lot that were failing and a lot that were successful. The successful ones were mostly on NetApp. It's a very solid product. I've been using if for about seven years, and it's been mostly bulletproof. They have very good support and a very good quality hard drive. We use it for mission-critical applications but less than we used to. A lot of our mission-critical stuff is now going out to cloud. That's why I'm…
    Matt Ebert
    Storage Supervisor at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    Video Review
    Dec 30, 2018
    Enables high availability as well as standalone systems if that's what we want within our specific workloads

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for ONTAP is both on-premise and in the cloud. For on-premise, we utilize it for hosting our virtual infrastructure environment through VMware, as well as hosting personal and shared drives. Then, in the cloud, we also host personal and shared drives within AWS and Azure.

• "ONTAP has been very stable for us, specifically in the cloud environment. It allows us to have high availability as well as standalone systems if that's what we want within our specific workloads. Also, on-premise has been a very stable environment. We have very few outages and when we do, we work with support to get systems back online in a timely manner."
    • "The key feature, that we'd like to see in that is the ability to sync between regions within the AWS and Azure regions. We could use the cloud sync service, but we'd really like that native functionality within the cloud volume service."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate ONTAP as an eight. It has a lot of great features, some features that we didn't even know we needed until we talked with our account team and they walked us through some of the reasons for some of those features and then we look at implementing them. The stability of the environment really helps us have that as a key solution for our organization. In terms of advice I would give a fellow colleague or friend about implementing ONTAP, it would be to just continue to work with your account team to make sure that you're finding the right solution to fit your workload need. We have a…
    SrSystemf052
    Senior System Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dec 13, 2018
    Their technical support responds to issues in a timely fashion

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the data that we are using, etc. We have a dedicated team of 10 people who manage the storage.

• "If anything happens, their technical support will come onsite and fix it."
    • "I would like to have more management tools. They are difficult to work with, so I would like them to be a bit more user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

We have not started using the cloud version. We are using the on-premise version with FlexPod.
    AwsArchi57bf
    AWS Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Dec 11, 2018
    It is a stable product that is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We use it for file storage. It is mainly being used with our Windows environment.

• "The most valuable feature is the ease of file storage."
    • "The data tiering needs improvement. E.g., moving hard data to faster disks."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend NetApp because it is a stable product. The AWS and on-premise versions of the product are about the same. It is currently not being used in the AWS environment. It is just being tested. The integration and configuration seemed okay.
    LeadStord24a
    Lead Storage Operations at Autodesk, Inc.
    Dec 10, 2018
    It has a fair amount of visibility into what is happening

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of NetApp in our company is providing NAS services. This includes both CIFS and NFS. I have been working with ONTAP for five years. So, I started with NetApp ONTAP 7-Mode, and now, I'm working on NetApp ONTAP C-mode. My familiarity and skill with this product is quite good. Autodesk has been using this product for more than five years.

• "If you have a fair amount of experience with NetApp, you can work on it very easily."
    • "When it comes to support provided by NetApp, they have room for improvement. Every time we go through their support, we end up answering the same routine questions."

What other advice do I have?

NetApp is a user-friendly solution. I would recommend it to colleagues, because of its user-friendliness for implementation and running your operations. I use the on-premise version of this product. Our company is in the transition to the cloud. We are focused on cloud solutions going forward.