NetApp EF-Series All Flash Arrays OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

NetApp EF-Series All Flash Arrays is #17 ranked solution in best All-Flash Storage Arrays. IT Central Station users give NetApp EF-Series All Flash Arrays an average rating of 8 out of 10. NetApp EF-Series All Flash Arrays is most commonly compared to NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS):NetApp EF-Series All Flash Arrays vs NetApp AFF (All Flash FAS). The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is NetApp EF-Series All Flash Arrays?

The NetApp EF560 all-flash array is an all-SSD storage system for applications that demand extremely high levels of performance and reliability. Requiring just 2U of rack space, the EF560 all-flash array combines extreme IOPS, microsecond response times, and up to 12GBps of bandwidth with leading, enterprise-proven availability features.

NetApp EF-Series All Flash Arrays was previously known as NetApp EF540, NetApp EF-Series.

Download the All-Flash Storage Arrays Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

NetApp EF-Series All Flash Arrays Customers
RP Data, Western Oregon University, Toei Animation
NetApp EF-Series All Flash Arrays Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about NetApp EF-Series All Flash Arrays pricing:
  • "NetApp EF-Series All Flash Arrays is an expensive product."
  • "This solution is not available to many users because the cost is very expensive."
  • "They need to improve its pricing. The storage market is dying. So, they need to improve the price because it should reach all people. NetApp is one of the top ones, and they are charging a little bit of royalty as compared to other storage solutions."
  • "Adding more capacity will increase the cost."
  • "Most of my customers pay for the license on a yearly basis. It can be expensive depending on the capacity number."

NetApp EF-Series All Flash Arrays Reviews

PR
Senior Systems Engineer at Indra
Easy to use solution but lacks federation and segmentation of data

• "Rapid deployment, easy integration management and cloning of areas."
  • "Their problems are on the software and the controlling of the storage where they lack segmentation and federation."

What is our primary use case?

I normally work with customers. I'm a senior consultant so I'm responsible for giving information to customers and I make assessments for them about what technology is the best for them to use.

What is most valuable?

In terms of which features I've found most valuable, this includes rapid deployment, easy integration management and cloning of areas - their cloning tools.

Also, the deployment is very quick and very simple.

What needs improvement?

There is a lot of room for improvement. What I don't like is that they do not create barriers in the areas. The data management is based on the software and they do not use segmentation on the storage. That is the main problem - there is no segmentation. You cannot segment the data on the database. You put the data there but you don't know where the data goes on each disk. The information will be there but there is no segmentation. There needs to be improvement in data segmentation.

In future releases, I'd like to see federation and segmentation. Those are the big problems with NetApp at the moment. Compared to HP, Dell and HPE 3PAR, they cannot do the federation which is very important. We have to do remote replication and work with two or more storage sites in different locations. If I have a site and I have a second or third site - they require working federation and NetApp cannot do this right now.

I have been using NetApp Series All-Flash for about four years.

Until now we have not had issues on the four databases, the four storage units we are using.

In terms of scalability, it's okay.

But they do have one problem with scalability - they cannot do federation of storage.

I have not contacted support directly. The customer has specific teams for that.

But I work directly with the support on tests for crash recovery. More than a year ago we made these tests before the customer bought the solution. But at the moment, I know that the support in Portugal is very limited because they don't have people working in the office. I think they only have one person working in the Portugal office.

As I mentioned, the deployment is very quick and very simple to use.

I have customers with four storage sites, and we have all the virtual environments and the production cloning for disaster recovery tests on NetApp.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of 1 - 10, I'd give NetApp EF-Series All Flash a 5. It's a low rating because as I mentioned, they have to improve their software. NetApp is an array that is made on the software. Their problems are on the software and the controlling of the storage where they lack segmentation and federation. Fragmentation, in particular, is a problem that could be improved for big customers since big data is so important for them.

IT
Director at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good performance, easy to operate and maintain, with good support

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the performance of the database access."
  • "Better integration with other brands is important so we would like to see it easier to integrate."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution for databases.

What is most valuable?

It's simple in operating and for maintenance. Also, they provide a warranty for the I/O output.

What needs improvement?

All-Flash is made by Solid State Disk, it's not like HDD or spinning disk.

The price is important, and we would like to have it less expensive.

I have been using this solution for approximately one year.

We are using one of the older versions, with a capacity of 12 TB.

This solution is stable. All-Flash has drives that are very stable. If dropped it's not broken. It's not the same as a hard drive and the old-style hard drive. It won't be damaged by a power surge.

We have 50 users, some are administrators and others are different businesses.

Technical support is good. If we have some issues, especially from NetApp, they give us an early warning system. When there is a potential error, it will come up and let us know immediately that it will occur. This prevents it from crashing.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It's very simple to run the application and run the database. It's more measurable with little to no variables.

It took less than a week to deploy.

We did not use an integrator, we used the resources from our company. We have a team of five engineers to deploy and maintain this solution.

NetApp EF-Series All Flash Arrays is an expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

I will continue to use this solution. I think that the technology is still the latest one.

If there is more development storage technology in the future with other venders then I will consider using another solution.

Depending on the business needs, there are variables to consider with the expense. It's still worth purchasing as the support is good and also the performance is very good.

Some of the engineers are still considering changing to a cheaper solution but they worry that the support and maintenance will not be as good.

I would recommend this solution. From my experience, this is still the best product available.

Find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Dell EMC, Pure Storage and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: November 2021.
555,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SuwardiSuwardi
Technical Advisor at Synnex Metrodata Indonesia
Reseller
Excellent SnapMirror feature with good stability and decent technical support

• "The initial setup is pretty straightforward."
  • "The dashboard could be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

I usually run a POC for our customers.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very good. It offers very good performance, and very good data services to customers.

The ONTAP is excellent.

SnapMirror is very useful. It allows the customer to be able to see the entire relationship. It's one of the best features of the product.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

For the most part, the solution is stable.

The technical support has been pretty good for the most part.

What needs improvement?

The solution should really build out a more hyper-converged product. In Indonesia, there are many competitors for hyper-converged products, such as Nutanix and VxRail from Dell. Those products in particular are so strong. They need to improve the NetApp for hyper-converged solutions. Whereas, NetApp for storage is still pretty strong in Indonesia.

The dashboard could be simplified. There are many, many features on NetApp, and they could be combined onto one centralized dashboard for ease of use and access.

The stability so far has been very good. It's a reliable solution. For AFF, I still have not noticed any bugs, for example.

We mostly deal with medium-sized organizations.

When we have an issue we still cannot open a ticket yet as we are working when the customer has not yet sent an IPO, and so we cannot open a ticket. Typically, we ask for help from NetApp Southeast Asia. They are helpful. We request via email, and they always tend to help us.

The setup process is okay for the common line installation. I'm familiar with the process, so it is okay.

When we reach an issue in customer, it can take a long time. However, when there's no issue in the customer environment, we can set up it very fast.

In terms of the cost, I do not handle the price or the payments at all. I can't speak to how much the solution costs or what the licensing structure is like.

What other advice do I have?

I'm working as pre-sales for NetApp. I help the NetApp team to test the POC for the customer. My company is a distributor of NetApp in Indonesia.

We might not use the latest version of the solution. We use the AFF Series and the C Series.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We're mostly quite satisfied with the solution so far.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Distributor (reseller)
MohamedYassin
IT Systems Engineer at Adaptive Solutions
High availability, easy to deploy, and provides ability to assign performance margins to specific workloads

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to set a specific margin of performance to a specific workload."
  • "I would like to have the ability to replicate data between All Flash and other NetApp storage systems."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as storage for our application server. It is used in the virtualized environment in our data center. It hosts our critical applications such as databases and our critical application workload.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to set a specific margin of performance to a specific workload. This feature is unique to this vendor and the competitors do not have it.

What needs improvement?

Better monitoring should be implemented.

I began working with NetApp All-Flash Arrays about two years ago.

This solution is very stable. We use it for our critical workloads and it is used on a daily basis.

This solution is scalable. We have more than 500 users in our company.

We also have plans to extend its capacity.

I have been in touch with technical support and I would rate them an eight out of ten.

We did not use another enterprise-level storage solution before this one. We switched to NetApp All-Flash arrays because of the high availability and the ability to assign specific margins of performance to individual workloads.

The initial setup is very easy. It includes a very good Cisco NetApp deployment engine that makes it very simple.

We did the installation on our own.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone who has critical workloads like Oracle databases or DB2, NetApp All-Flash Arrays will suit their needs, as long as it fits within their budget.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Sarith Sasidharan
System Administrator at a government with 201-500 employees
Very stable, good performance, much faster than other solutions, and has native cloud integration

• "Its performance is most valuable. This solution is much faster than other as well as older storage solutions. The performance of the system is very good. We are getting 50 times better experience than the older storages. We are using AFF 300. It also has native cloud integration and most of the features."
  • "Its pricing should be better. Its price is competitive, but they need to improve the pricing. They have different licensing models, which they need to improve. My expectation was cloud integration, which they have, but it is a different license. Therefore, people cannot enjoy it. If I want to use it, I need to pay extra. There is a cost involved for everything, but it should reach everyone. It is similar to having a Rolls-Royce, but you need to pay extra for the key. If you want the key, you need to pay."

What is most valuable?

Its performance is most valuable. This solution is much faster than other as well as older storage solutions. The performance of the system is very good. We are getting 50 times better experience than the older storages. We are using AFF 300. It also has native cloud integration and most of the features.

What needs improvement?

Its pricing should be better. Its price is competitive, but they need to improve the pricing. They have different licensing models, which they need to improve.

My expectation was cloud integration, which they have, but it is a different license. Therefore, people cannot enjoy it. If I want to use it, I need to pay extra. There is a cost involved for everything, but it should reach everyone. It is similar to having a Rolls-Royce, but you need to pay extra for the key. If you want the key, you need to pay.

It is very stable.

We have around 3,000 users. We plan to increase the usage of this product.

Their technical support is good. I am satisfied with their support.

I have been using only NetApp in this company, and it is good. I also have experience with solutions from Hitachi, EMC, Dell, IBM, HP, and others.

It is very easy. It hardly took four hours.

We used an integrator for deployment, and we are satisfied with the experience.

They need to improve its pricing. The storage market is dying. So, they need to improve the price because it should reach all people. NetApp is one of the top ones, and they are charging a little bit of royalty as compared to other storage solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate NetApp EF-Series All Flash Arrays a ten out of ten.

CS
Associate Executive - Technical Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good capacity and management software, but it comes at a high price

• "The management software is very good."
  • "The price of the All Flash solution is very high."

What is our primary use case?

We are a tech services company and this is one of the solutions that we provide for our clients. We also use this ourselves.

Personally, we use this as a unified SAN solution. Our clients use it for CCTV and media applications. For example, one of our clients uses this to handle video data for game development. Depending on the customer and their requirements, we will configure an all-flash storage solution for them.

What is most valuable?

The capacity is very good and better than in past models.

The management software is very good. It supports reporting and different policies that are useful.

What needs improvement?

The price of the All Flash solution is very high.

I have been working with the NetApp All Flash Arrays for the past two and a half years. In total, I have been working with NetApp for almost six years.

The All Flash Array is stable and highly available.

This solution is scalable and you can just add more storage.

We are satisfied with the NetApp technical support.

The initial setup is simple. Compared to solutions in the past, it is very simple.

I have done three All Flash deployments with the help of my team for different clients.

This is an enterprise-level solution and the costs are very high. Adding more capacity will increase the cost.

What other advice do I have?

NetApp All Flash is a system that I recommend for a rapid storage solution. It is good for organizations such as banks and media companies.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

AO
Manager, Cloud workload Migration & Onboarding Lead at Globe Telecom
Easy to use, flexible, and stable

What is our primary use case?

The majority of my clients wanted to establish a MetroCluster operation and wanted their business to be stable using multiple data centers. That is why they wanted storage that was going to provide a place for their virtual machines.

What is most valuable?

Some of the valuable features include MetroCluster switchover, in terms of disaster recovery, it is easy to use, and flexible.

I have been using the solution for almost one year.

In my experience I found the solution to be stable.

The solution is scalable.

There could be an improvement when it…

What is most valuable?

I have been using the solution for almost one year.

In my experience I found the solution to be stable.

The solution is scalable.

There could be an improvement when it comes to SLA support, it could be faster. In case of emergencies, when you need urgent feedback from the support, it is delayed because you need to make multiple calls.

The initial setup for installation was straightforward.

The installation took one day to configure.

What other advice do I have?

When you are dealing with a virtual machine or on-premise, one of the in-demand storage is NetApp. Veeam is also compatible with NetApp, you will not have any concern, it is a total package.

I rate NetApp EF-Series All Flash Arrays a nine out of ten.

Product Categories
All-Flash Storage Arrays
Download our free All-Flash Storage Arrays Report and find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Dell EMC, Pure Storage, and more!