NetApp FAS Series Overview

NetApp FAS Series is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Modular SAN tools. It is most often compared to Dell EMC PowerScale (Isilon): NetApp FAS Series vs Dell EMC PowerScale (Isilon)

What is NetApp FAS Series?
NetApp FAS Series offers powerful, affordable, flexible data storage for midsized businesses and distributed enterprises. NetApp FAS Series, named a 'Champion' and 'Best in Overall Value' by Info-Tech Research Group, is affordable, and is a more powerful storage platform than other systems in its class.

Download the Deduplication Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

NetApp FAS Series Customers
Children's Hospital Central California, Plex Systems, PDF PNI Digital Media, Denver Broncos, PDF KSM Legal, Clayton Companies, Virginia Community College
NetApp FAS Series Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

SK
Chief Evangelist & CEO at Evantage IT Consulting Services Pvt Ltd
Lesser resources needed for snapshot and recovery

What is our primary use case?

Used SnapMirror for replication and DR. It's a good case for a storage-based DR. Good results on RPO and RTO.

How has it helped my organization?

Efficient usage Good pricing Good solution architects and deployment guys are available Licensing is easy.

What is most valuable?

Lesser resources needed for snapshot and recovery Easy to manage Recovery process is easy Integration with other tools is available.

What needs improvement?

Integration with most of the third-party BR tools A clear roadmap for next releases should be available.

IT Infrastructure Manager at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Resilient storage but latency and IOPS could be better

What is our primary use case?

We use it for storage and it has performed fine, but now we need to upgrade.

• "I would like to see less latency and higher IOPS."

What other advice do I have?

If you need reliability, definitely go for NetApp. I rate it at seven out of 10 because it has been very reliable but not very good when it comes to IOPS and latency.
    Find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Dell EMC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise and others in Deduplication Software. Updated: May 2021.
    509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Double-parity RAID guarantees that our data stays intact

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for regular databases and file systems. So far it has been good. The performance is solid, it's robust, availability is solid.

• "One of the most valuable features offered is double-parity RAID, which guarantees that your data will stay intact. We're also able to provision storage and monitor which ones are really consuming storage."
    • "It lacks automatic tiering, When you use data, some of it goes cold. It is not hot data, so the system should automatically move that data to the SATA, while the hot data is kept on tier-one, the SaaS or SSD drives."

What other advice do I have?

If I were to advise someone researching NetApp FAS Storage or a similar solution, I would want to understand what they really want. I would advise them to go with NetApp because it's unified storage. It supports both NAS and SAN environments, so whether you're doing block storage or you're doing file storage, it is a good solution. Also, the operating system that it runs is called Data ONTAP, and is cloud-ready, so in the future the file storage that you have can be deployed to the cloud. I rate this solution a 9.9 out of 10 because it's never failed me so I'm very comfortable with it.
    SR
    Senior Network Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The scalability is good, but it's too expensive

What is our primary use case?

The product has been pretty stable. Though we have had a few issues, not on the ones that we are going to replace, but on a couple of other ones. On the ones that we are going to replace, we usually use them for file storage and Exchange. The others are mainly used for interface and iSCSI.

• "It is good to have a unified storage where you can have block and file level protocols."
    • "The only downside is in ease in management; it is not easy to use."
    • "It's not a cheap system. It is very expensive. The pricing has been ridiculous every time that we had to renew the support."

What other advice do I have?

I wouldn't recommend NetApp FAS. I don't understand why anyone would go for NetApp FAS when you can get the NetApp AFF, which is an SSD array, for almost a similar price or probably even cheaper. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Cost effective solution * Performance * Reliability * A good roadmap.
    WC
    Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    It is stable and integrates well with other components

What is our primary use case?

We use NetApp as our primary storage. Because we are a system integrator, we managed more than 100 data petabytes of data of our customers.

• "The initial setup was so straightforward. It was well-documented."
    • "It is very flexible. It integrates well with the public cloud and other components, so everything can be API driven. Therefore, it is very easy to automate it."
    • "We would like to have further integration with some backup products. They have some of them already, but there could be more."

What other advice do I have?

Use NetApp, it is good. There are more specialized products in the market, but NetApp is a very good general fit. We have a lot of product knowledge, and it is not 100 percentage perfect. However, we know where it behaves well, and where does not. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: We always check the vendor to make sure our clients are receiving the most value for their money. We want the best solution for customers based on their budgets, because it is stupid to offer a product if it if does not work within the customer's budget.
    Storage and System Engineer at Thales Services SAS
    MSP
    The storage efficiency provided maximum savings in our storage utilization

What is our primary use case?

We recently upgraded our NetApp environment from 7-Mode to Clustered ONTAP v9.3. Primary use cases are NFS and CIFS. NFSs are used for VMware data store while the CIFSs are for corporate file sharing.

• "Using the built-in Snapshots and SnapMirror technology, we were able to have better working data protection locally and off-site."
    • "The storage efficiency provided a maximum savings in our storage utilization."
    • "The AutoSupport could be improved to be more proactive in certain cases."
    • "When getting new hardware, always tell the account manager that you are also considering other brands. They will be forced to adjust the price lower."
    Berater with 11-50 employees
    Provides ease of use and robust Snapshot functionality, but pricing is relatively high

What is our primary use case?

It is used as filer, for centralized file sharing. You use it, for example, for network drives from your Windows file. Performance is very good. It's reasonably fast, probably not the fastest.

• "End-users like that they can rely on the Snapshot technology so they can do their restores themselves."
    • "Most valuable features are its ease of use, robust Snapshot functionality, and that you can use it in two datacenters with SnapMirror-ing."
    • "It has a very good implementation of the Active Directory services, so implementation into a Windows network is easy."

What other advice do I have?

My most important criteria when selecting a vendor are to see that it has good market share already established, or that it has a robust roadmap with interesting products in the future, or that I have had a solid feeling with different products from same manufacturer. If I were only rating the NetApp solution without considering the price, I would probably give it nine or 10 out of 10. If the rating includes the price, it's more like a seven. If you're aiming for the easiest solution which will work, more or less, out-of-the-box and has lots of features, I would definitely recommend NetApp. If…
      Very easy to expand disks and manage CIFS

What is our primary use case?

Enterprise Storage for: Block and file SQL Server LUNs Exchange LUNs VM Storage.  Backup of above via Snap products.

How has it helped my organization?

Rock solid reliability Easy to use Very easy to expand disks and manage CIFS. It has been over seven years with no outages.

What is most valuable?

SnapManagers for SQL Exchange and Oracle SnapMirror for DR CIFS management for shares/permissions

What needs improvement?

Add wizards for newer, inexperienced users.  More modern GUI, not that it's bad.  ONTAP upgrades need to be much easier.

More than five years.
      Berater with 11-50 employees
      Ability to use mirroring and SnapVault have made backup no longer necessary

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for standard CIFS/SMB file storage for Windows Clients in an ADS environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Samba on Solaris was a nightmare. Our situation improved with no Windows file servers, but at about 30 million files/folders, snapshot and backup functionality started to make trouble.

What is most valuable?

Snapshots for user self-service restore Ability to use mirroring and SnapVault have made backup no longer necessary.

What needs improvement?

The WAFL is slow. The adoption of flash by NetApp has also been lagging behind the trendsetters, like TMS, Nimble, and others.

‎Cloud Plattform Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      Integrated snapshot and backup capability

What is our primary use case?

NAS part of standardized virtualization platform, ranging from size from 15TB on-site solution to more than 500TB twin core datacenter.

How has it helped my organization?

Cost effective storage for all performance levels (including all-flash) Integrated snapshot and backup capability Many protocols Good service

What is most valuable?

Integrated backup functionality (SnapVault and SnapMirror) Option to mirror synchronously

What needs improvement?

Automation readiness API exposure Adaptive storage quality of service

Three to five years.
      Storage and VMware Expert at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Saves space with deduplication

What is our primary use case?

Creating a DR site using SnapMirror technology from NetApp.

• "Compression of the backup Oracle by RMAN on NFS saves space 5:1."
      • "The migration of the volume on the cluster is very useful and easy to use."
      • "Saves space with deduplication"
        Storage Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
        Enables us to handle business critical data with HA

How has it helped my organization?

Enables us to handle business critical data with HA.

What is most valuable?

NAS stability Simple customer support

What needs improvement?

Needs more SAN support.

No stability issues yet.

No scalability issues yet.

Eight out of 10.

Works on administration, not implementation.

Not overrated, though there are products available in market with comparatively lower costs.

What other advice do I have?

Good for NAS and unified…
        Team Lead at Tata Consultancy Services
        Top ReviewerTop 5
        FAS8040: Powerful, high availability, easy to use. But I have concerns about the company's future.

What is our primary use case?

NAS for the enterprise including unstructured data, EPIC Systems + the other 3,520 applications. I love those innovative healthcare data solutions that let me securely manage vast amounts of patient data (32.9 PB), use and share it enterprise-wide, and gain efficiency of scale through cloud solutions and virtualization.

What other advice do I have?

Think carefully before you jump into NetApp. There are so many competing products and you should do a proof of concept before you buy it. I'm a bit worried since NetApp is competing against the big boys like IBM and EMC. So what happens if NetApps get acquired by one of the big boys? Will they be around in another 3-5 years?
        ICT Network Administrator at a maritime company with 501-1,000 employees
        The initial setup was quite easy and pleasing. Just enter some key values and there you go.

• "A reliable and easily managed storage system is a key performance factor. The system also has more features than we require."
        • "As I see it, there could be more interfaces, more cache, etc."

What other advice do I have?

You really can't go wrong with NetApp products, They perform well, are rock solid, offer good space saving technologies, and the support is above par.
        Storage Administrator with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Valuable features include thin provisioning, simple management, and fast snapshots

What is most valuable?

Fast Snapshots Thin provisioning Simple management

What needs improvement?

With scalability, we feel the system is limited.

From 2013 until now; four years.

No issues. The system is rather stable.

Yes, we have encountered issues. The system is limited by the number of enclosures.

The tech support is very good. We use a third party support.

Previously, we used VNX5300 NAS. We found this one better suited to our needs.

Initial setup was straightforward, not very…
        Team Lead at Tata Consultancy Services
        Top ReviewerTop 5
        FAS8k Series: Better performance & lower cost...+ A300

What is most valuable?

Better performance and lower costs.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a great help.

What needs improvement?

It may need more flexibility to fight with other competing arrays.

Over 10 years.

Nothing special.

Not really.

Customer Service: Good. Technical Support: Cool.

EMC.

Straightforward.

Vendor.

Three years.

What's my

User at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Organizationally, it changed the way we do DR around NetApp replication

How has it helped my organization?

It changed the way we do Disaster Recovery (DR) around NetApp replication.

What needs improvement?

Cluster mode needs to be more ubiquitous. The process for going to cluster mode is expensive.

Unexpected costs and some systems were not compatible with cluster mode.

Yes, we encountered stability issues with the LDAP integration and with user logins on the web front-end.

Nope.

Customer Service: The customer service is awesome. Technical Support: The technical support is great. The partner company (Bytes) has a close…
        Director of IT Infrastructure at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
        It provides us with redundancy and security, which is important because we hold a lot of customer information that must be secure and reliable.

What other advice do I have?

One thing that burned me, is that it surprised me how much overhead it uses, like 30% right off the top. So don’t forget the overhead. It’s not usable space, but that percentage is coming down. It all has to do with deduplication.
        Sales - Regional Southern California at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
        It's speed-optimized and there's no degradation in performance, although setup is complex and there are many areas for mistakes.

• "Other products lose performance over time, but NetApp OS is speed-optimized."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you buy the product that’s right for you. If it's competitive to NetApp FAS, great, but just know both products before making a decision and do a point-by-point comparison.
          Storage Administrator with 1,001-5,000 employees
          We now have the capability of both SIFS and NFS, and we don't need to have separate OS boxes.

• "It allows our Windows and Unix teams to have a centralized point to share data between the two."
          • "I’ve found that I use command line more often than I thought needed. Some things should be done in the GUI, and command-line switches can be overwhelming and take up a lot of time."

What other advice do I have?

It does a good job at what it’s designed to do.
          Senior System Administrator at a marketing services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
          The most valuable features are the snapshots, the flash pool that we’re using, and cluster mode.

What other advice do I have?

Properly define what you need first. After that, talk with people who know NetApp well, know how to set it up, and properly define the design architecture before doing it.
          Systems Engineer at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Supports anything from Windows CIFS shares to UNIX NFS shares to block-level storage.

What other advice do I have?

Take your time. It's a very dynamic market right now. Make sure that the information that you're getting on the system is for what's currently available and not for what they're expecting to have next quarter. Because, a lot of the next-quarter stuff is vapor, where they don't actually have it. They haven't gotten around to putting that in place, yet, and they promise and promise until they get money from you. That's one of the reasons why we're holding off on making a decision until the gear is actually available.
          IT Analyst at a local government with 501-1,000 employees
          You can run a smaller aggregate with SSDs in the flash pool.

What other advice do I have?

Go with NetApp; I haven't had a problem with it. The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with are reliability and, for technical support, being there.
          It helps centralize and simplify all connections into one box.

What other advice do I have?

Study the NetApp solutions, and before you implement be sure to do PoCs.
          Senior Storage Consultant at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
          I like that there are various modes and protocols you can use at the same time.
          System Administrator - Backup & Storage Specialist at METRO SYSTEMS Romania
          It provides very good storage High Availability and data protection. The thing we'd like to see the most is the possibility of pairing LAN/SAN ports from different nodes.

What other advice do I have?

The best advice I can offer is to try and purchase it directly from NetApp in order to have a better chance of having a successful initial configuration from the first try. Also, make sure you purchase the system with a General Availability OS version as Release Candidate ones tend to be bugged.
          Product Owner Storage at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
          We are an online hotel reservations company, so if our website goes down we lose money at a very high rate per minute. It has been many years since we have had an outage due to storage because of FAS.

What other advice do I have?

Do your research on clustered Data ONTAP as it is a very complicated product, much more complicated than the previous version.
          Systems Technician at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
          It made the workload we needed possible because of its flash cache and we can perform LIF migrations with clustered Data ONTAP.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature for us is the ability to perform LIF migrations with clustered Data ONTAP.

Improvements to My Organization

It made the workload we needed possible because of its flash cache.

Room for Improvement

It would be nice to be able to mix flash cache with other technologies.

Use of Solution

We've been using it for one month.

It's very stable.

It scales for the kind of customers that we have.

We'd like to get more access to level-two engineers. Sometimes its been a difficult time explaining the problem to level-one people. This process is a little bit time consuming.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Implementation Team

We did…
          Lead Technical Architect IT at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          It saves a lot of time and minimizes downtime, which is important because we're a hospital and we can’t afford much downtime. I'd like more automation of the expanding aggregates and discs.

What other advice do I have?

Over the past few years, they have evolved a lot in manageability and automation, so we are happy with the direction they are going in. They haven’t lost their eye on stability as well. Lots of new features without sacrificing anything.
          Storage Administrator at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
          Its data compression saves a lot of capacity we'd otherwise have to have. It could improve by better integrating with other technologies like VMware, as there are some version conflicts.
          Systems Engineer at a government with 501-1,000 employees
          We were able to restore a lot of data in about an hour, although NetApp OnCommand, which has been a lot better recently, could still be made faster.

What other advice do I have?

Ask other people who use it as references are really valuable.
          Systems Engineer at Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
          The integration with Windows for SQL exchange is critical, but it doesn't allow for live deduplication.

What other advice do I have?

First, make a lot of calculations of how much data you’re going to use and how much you’re using now. Compare the two and look into how you configure storage solution. How much data, how to split, etc. If you can’t spend that much on storage, you need to determine how to follow best practices to get as much storage as possible for the money. For example, if you have five shelves, you don’t need to worry about LUNs going offline. But if it’s just two shelves, like I have, you must be very careful about provisioning storage and use as much as possible.
          Sr. Storage Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
          It's reliable and scalable and, in the event of failure, it’s highly available, but Unified Monitoring loses a bunch of funcationality that its previous versions had.

What other advice do I have?

It's losing points on its value. The performance is nearly perfect, but it’s really expensive.
          Database Manager at Wilson Trailer
          Since updating to Dynamix AX 2012, not a week has gone by that we haven’t fired up a clone to test a user, code, etc.

Valuable Features

Clone – we updated to Dynamix AX 2012, and not a week has gone by that we haven’t fired up a clone to test a user, code, etc. Disaster Recovery suite of functions Quick backups that don’t impact system Refreshes test environments quickly

Improvements to My Organization

Reliability – hardware performs well, we’ve never had problems Great support from Sirius We’re able to recover a file if we need to

Room for Improvement

We use mirroring a lot, and if it had snap manager for SQL included, we could do that from one location.

Rock solid. I’ve been at Wilson for three years and have also used it before at another company. We have a disk go out every once in a while, but no issue with FAS.

In the last growth, we went…
          Storage Adminstrator at SRPNet
          It has the capability to use SAN, so it has a broad spectrum of use. I'd like to see more cohesiveness with a unified manager.

What other advice do I have?

Plan ahead and make sure you right-size it. How much head room do you really need? How many spindles are you going to attach? Are you really going to share workloads or do you want to separate some of those? We don’t segregate our infrastructure, which I don’t like, but all that costs money. But you should make sure that you have failover.
          Enterprise Data Storage Engineer III at University of Kentucky
          Snapshots lets us revert accidental deletes quickly and easily, and although we had an outage when batteries were bad, it was a known defect and our fault for knowing this was an issue.

What other advice do I have?

Of all storage technologies I work on, it’s the easiest to learn and one of the most powerful. But you need to spend your time taking classes before digging in too deep. Get educated.
          Storage Engineer III at Providence Health & Services
          We use the NAS functions for all our file shares, although I wish we could do dedupe for the entire system and not just a specific volume.

What other advice do I have?

Other than tech support, it loses points because it could always be better. It depends on what you’re implementing. Consider carefully what you want to do – for example, have enough vLANs because you don’t want to be adding more later.
          Senior Storage Engineer at Sirius Computer Solutions
          It provides us with a single unified-type architecture for block-and-file-type data storage. But, if I'm running dedupe, fiber channel, and other protocols on the same CPU core, I can’t load-balance.

What other advice do I have?

If historically you’re a NetApp customer, it’s not as complex as cluster mode. It requires a lot more complexity – command line is not so friendly for storage admins. I’d recommend also sticking with what you know.
          Sr. Systems Administrator at University of Central Florida
          Snap mirror gives us a way to snap to our two DR sites to instantaneously bring up VMs, but it lacks certain how-to guides.

What other advice do I have?

Six to eight months ago, I would have said go for it, but now I’ve been getting a lot of doubts about the stability of NetApp itself as a company.
          Storage Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees

Valuable Features

Redundancy Snap technologies (snap mirror, snap shots)

Improvements to My Organization

The snap products allow the end-user to make restorations and perform offsite replications. Also, it gives us secure multi-tenancy.

Room for Improvement

Nothing that I can think of right now.

Use of Solution

We've used it for seven in years.

It's pretty stable. We've only needed NetApp engineers to help with an issue once since we started using it.

Very scalable, haven’t reached its limits.

Generally goes well.

Very straightforward from rack stack to configuration.

Other Advice

With FAS and other NetApp tools, they make for a very intuitive solution. It's simple to…
          Senior Storage Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
          It behaves predictably during failure, but it needs better built-in monitoring as Insight is too expensive.

Valuable Features

It’s a decently mature product that has a lot of documentation and standards and is something to be relied on.

Improvements to My Organization

Predictable behavior during failure. In terms of performance, if you have two machines, you know they’re going to perform the same.

Room for Improvement

It needs better built-in monitoring. We can’t afford Insight, and v6.2 seems like it's a purposefully inferior product to make people buy Insight, which is way too expensive.

It's not on Cisco’s stability level, but it’s a 96/100.

It’s scalable, but it could be easier. Just adding shelves might require additional cards and cabling, which can be difficult.

I’m happy with the support, as…
          System Engineer at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
          It gives us continuous uptime and we can failover when needed, although sometimes there are bugs with firmware upgrades.

Valuable Features

Uptime Performance High Availability Disaster Recovery NetApp as a company is doing well

Improvements to My Organization

We can failover when needed. In my organization, a law firm, brand recognition is important, and NetApp provides that. It gives us continuous uptime.

Room for Improvement

Sometimes there are bugs with firmware upgrades.

Not with deployment, but, again, there are sometimes bugs when we perform upgrades.

It just works, and when some drives go into failure status, it’s just a prediction of drive failure, letting us know when to get the drives replaced.

It scales pretty well, and the limit is how much you want to spend on blades, shelves, controllers, etc.

Customer Service and

IT Architect at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
          We can give people large amounts of storage for projects, and then remove it, though improvements could be made to the translation between 7-mode and cDOT.
          IT Infrastructure Architect at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          We're able to scale out with cDOT, although, depending on the use case, it needs a service catalogue you can walk through without having to use SE.

Valuable Features

High Availability Reliability

Improvements to My Organization

Reliability Performance level Great history with it, and over the last two and a half years, it's been etter than others

Room for Improvement

Depending on the use case, it needs a service catalogue you can walk through without having to use SE.

It's been great, and there's been no issues.

With cDOT, it's very easy to scale out, and that's the reason we went with it in the first place.

It's been great, and any issues have been taken care of right away.

It was very straightforward and easy.

Other Advice

Pick your partner wisely, as they have a lot in your success. Go with someone with a history…
          Chief General Manager at SVC Bank
          The controllers are faster so we have more processing efficiency, and we're going onto the cDot platform, which is already an improvement.

What other advice do I have?

Configure it properly. Today we have HA with any data loss because we did it nicely, and took our time for the beginning. We got terrific support.
          Senior IT Tech-Architect, Storage at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          It's added benefits are thin provisioning, compressioning, and dedupe, which help with capacity utilization.

What other advice do I have?

The monitoring is key, and you must keep track of what’s going on. Be sure to use auto-support and have strong monitoring scenario in place.
          Senior Systems Administor at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
          MSP
          We are able to increase performance by adding more heads to a cluster, but the free performance monitor doesn’t provide enough information.

What other advice do I have?

With storage, what works for me won’t necessarily work for you. Call your NetApp rep and tell him you want to test the solution. Get it on the floor and beat the hell out of it. Do a very thorough Proof of Concept.
          Chief Technology Officer at PTSO
          It's highly scalable, especially with CDOT, but they should make it faster and cheaper.

Valuable Features

Snapshot Snapmirror FlexClone

Improvements to My Organization

Huge time savings Large storage space savings In the end—time and money

Room for Improvement

They should make it faster and cheaper, but it does what we need it to do.

Good overall. We’ve hit some bugs in the ONTAP code that’s caused it to crash. We’re just coming off of seven-mode, and I'm looking forward to the capabilities of CDOT.

It's highly scalable, especially with CDOT. We can scale out quickly.

It's very good, generally first tier are wiling to help us or get us to right person pretty quickly.

It was complicated. We were coming off an IBM system five years ago. We got help for everything…
          VP Systems Integrator at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
          We can add additional heads with the same IOPS, but we need better documentation for customers to understand automation of APIs.

What other advice do I have?

* Define use cases because we’ve come across where we didn’t do so correctly, and we had to go back and re-architect everything. This was our failure. * Really engage with NetApp to understand how you use the nuances of things like the APIs.
          Principal Computer Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Since implementation, our performance has definitely increased, but they're upgrading the performance monitoring tool, which is the main thing I think needs improvement.

What other advice do I have?

If you are on the fence it’s been a very good product, you don’t want to build your own solution, you want to use the appliance for the flexibility. Overall performance has gotten a lot better.
          System Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
          It comes with an OS developed by its engineers, and its clustered data ONTAP, which supports clustering and high-level scalability.

What is most valuable?

Deduplication High Availability

How has it helped my organization?

It provides us with a very effective storage solution.

What needs improvement?

The virtualization technology.

I've used it for over three years.

Absolutely, it’s just some compatibility variance with some of the production environment aspects, like AV, and Archiving systems which needed to be integrated with.

Not at all as the HA features are great.

NetApp comes with an OS developed by its engineers, and its clustered data ONTAP, which supports clustering and scalability to…
          Solutions Architect with 51-200 employees
          The interesting thing about VVOLs is that not all implementations will be equal. It puts more responsibility on the array by moving storage operations to it that were previously handled by vSphere.
          More information on VVOLs is being released every week and it is only now that we are getting a chance to play with the full release code that we are able to dig into the detail of how it works. Let’s start off by exploring the benefits of VVOLs that are likely to make it game changing technology: Granular Control of VMs Enable VM granular storage operations on individual virtual disks for the first time including control of the following capabilities: Auto Grow Compression De-duplication Disk Types: SATA, FCAL, SAS, SSD Flash Accelerated High Availability Maximum Throughput: IOPS & MBs Replication Protocol: NFS, iSCSI, FC,FCoE Enhanced Efficiency and Performance Off-load VM snapshots, clones and moves to the array Automatically optimise I/O paths for all protocols No VMFS,…
          Solutions Architect with 51-200 employees
          We have flash caching, but it would be nice if we could move data between flash, SAS and SATA drives.
          As we move into the world of Software-Defined Storage it “sticks out like a sore thumb” when an array vendor only makes new software releases available on their next generation hardware. The problem with this is that even if you purchase at the very beginning of the life cycle of a product, at best you will get one round of feature enhancements, after that all software development is focused on the next generation product. This often even includes support for new drive types – again they are only supported on the latest generation hardware. This problem is very evident when it comes to support for VMware Virtual Volumes – any array vendor that will be releasing new hardware next year is unlikely to provide support for Virtual Volumes on their currently shipping product. My view…
          Solutions Architect with 51-200 employees
          Policies are applied to FlexVols but it would be useful if they could also be specified for an individual Virtual Volume.
          Virtual Volumes is the flagship feature of vSphere 6.0 as they enable VM granular storage management and NetApp FAS running Clustered Data ONTAP 8.3 is one of the first platforms to support the technology. Today storage administrators have to explain to the VM administrators how to identify which datastores to use for each class of VM, which is typically achieved using a combination of documentation and datastore naming conventions – however, consistency and compliance are difficult to achieve. Virtual Volumes changes this by enabling the storage administrator to provide vCenter with detailed information on the capabilities of each datastore. VM Storage Policies, whilst they existed in previous versions of vSphere were not sophisticated enough to query the actual storage for its…
          Solutions Architect with 51-200 employees
          NetApp do have a “pure” block storage array but it lacks the advanced data services enabled by WAFL
          For many years traditional storage array vendors have claimed that their platforms are superior for block storage than NetApp FAS because they do not have the overhead of a Pointer-based Architecture – let’s explore this in more detail: What do we mean by “pure” block storage? Uses a Fixed Block Architecture whereby data is always read from and written to a fixed location (i.e. each block has its own Logical Block Address) – in reality most block storage arrays provide the option to use pages (ranging from 5 MB to 1 GB) where the LBA is fixed within the page, but the page can be moved to facilitate tiering. The advantages of this architecture are No performance overhead – it is very easy for the storage array to calculate the location of a block and there is no metadata to…
          Software & Services Advisor at a tech company with 10,001+ employees