NetApp HCI Overview

NetApp HCI is the #8 ranked solution of our HCI Software. It's rated 3.9 out of 5 stars, and is most commonly compared to Nutanix Acropolis AOS: NetApp HCI vs Nutanix Acropolis AOS

What is NetApp HCI?

NetApp HCI is the only true enterprise-scale hyper converged cloud infrastructure. NetApp HCI comes in a 2 RU chassis with 4 node expansion slots.

NetApp HCI Buyer's Guide

Download the NetApp HCI Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2020

NetApp HCI Customers

American Showa, Children's Mercy, Coca-Cola, Consultel Cloud, Evangelische Landeskirche in Wurttemberg, Imperva, Surface Mount Technology

NetApp HCI Video

NetApp HCI Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Madhan Maddineni
SAN Engineer at American Express
Nov 26, 2018
Convergence is key for us, helping provide a cost-effective solution

What is our primary use case?

We want a hyperconveged setup and infrastructure in a cost-effective solution, based on the storage and network, with server efficiency. For now, we are just using independent Data Fabrics. We are at the stage of testing solutions with NetApp HCI products. Once it is approved we will recommend our customers use this HCI setup in production.

• The most valuable feature is the convergence.
  • To improve the product, they should make it more flexible.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution a nine out of ten. I love HCI. It is a cost-effective solution and it is the future as well.
Manager3128
Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Nov 22, 2018
When comes to DevOps, it has saved our organization time and money, especially with the number of resources that we have cut down

What is our primary use case?

With my current company, the primary use case is because of the increasing costs of the logistics: floor space, maintenance of hardware, bulk hardware, and cooling. Primary use case for HCI with my old company was using SDTC. They use the hyperconverged devices over there to migrate from legacy to the software-defined data center model.

• It has automated a lot of workloads. It has automated us from ticketing a large number to a very small number.
  • HCI has helped with storage persistence across private and hybrid clouds for the last year. It's faster and more reliable with minimal downtime, as it doesn't require any maintenance.
  • There are some legacy applications which still cannot be migrated. That is why we have to keep two environments: legacy and the new one. We would like to see more compatibility to move stuff.

Cost and Licensing Advice

• There are the overall infrastructure costs. Even though the initial costing was higher, we calculated for year-to-year for five years. That brought us into a position where we decided, we have to go for HCI rather than having distributor systems.

What other advice do I have?

Go explore the market. Don't just go with one vendor. Try to explore different options, because every environment is different. Test and do a lot of PoCs. The solution is growing, and it's good. We use HCI to help leverage microservices from AWS, such as, EC2 instances where we create some bucket links and move a tiering from on-premise to the cloud migration. We try to host applications on cloud. HCI has helped with storage persistence across private and hybrid clouds for the last year. It's faster and more reliable with minimal downtime, as it doesn't require any maintenance. My previous…
Learn what your peers think about NetApp HCI. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2020.
447,654 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT2ced
IT Specialist at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Nov 6, 2018

What is our primary use case?

It is our main storage solution at our main office in Abilene, Texas, our satellite office in Pensacola, Florida, and our data center in Miami, Florida. We only have the private cloud right now. We don't have the hybrid, but that is one of the things that we are looking at for the future. The private cloud has helped us with storage persistence. It is there all the time. It's extremely reliable and has been a lifesaver.

• The solution integrates well with all the other applications that we use on our environment.
  • It is difficult to get acclimated to all the new features quickly. The onboard process could be improved to bring clients up to speed faster.

Cost and Licensing Advice

• This solution saved our organization time (35 percent) and money. We have a hefty group of developers, and if you multiply that by 30 to 35 percent, that is quite a bit of money.
  • Where we lost nearly 75 percent of our infrastructure due to a malicious attack and were able to recover two and a half hours into it due to the integration, it saved us and all of our customers. Because we were able to recover so fast from the attack, the solution paid for itself right there.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is a lifesaver. If you ever have some type of disaster and need to recover from it quickly, you can't get any better than this solution. It made all the difference in the world. We are in the learning phase of using Data Fabric for hybrid multi-cloud. We're still trying to get accustomed to it, but it looks like a great product. It should be helpful, especially, for where we're trying to go as a company. We're not there yet, but eventually, it should be an extremely useful tool for us. We use HCI to accelerate DevOps. Our development group works with this feature, and I have heard…
Engineerc2b6
Engineering Team at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Oct 24, 2018
The most fully-baked API for SDS, it gives us more API-driven management of our products

What is our primary use case?

We have the SolidFire Element OS, which is also their HCI. We don't use the hyperconverged part of it, but we do use the scale-out storage piece of it for all-flash storage.

• We're trying to move to a much more API-driven management of all of our products, and NetApp's product is, from all the SDS providers we have seen, the most fully-baked API out there.
  • I'm not a fan of how they don't log you out properly from some of their web tools for management.

What other advice do I have?

Take a look at the guaranteed minimum QoS's that you can push out to the LOBs or the people who are using it, and the API as well. We don't use Data Fabric for hybrid or multi-clouds. We are trying to form a DevOps team to take over the operations side of everything; everything from a drive failure to everything else. Has this solution accelerated that? Not yet. And we don't use the solution to leverage micro-services from our clouds. I would rate the solution a nine out of ten. They are delivering what they packaged it as. It's a high-performing and scalable storage system.
Sean Henry
Senior MIS Manager at a transportation company with 501-1,000 employees
Oct 23, 2018
Storage persistence allows us to consolidate workloads across older arrays into one unit that works with Azure

What is our primary use case?

We had a long-running project that didn’t have the horsepower behind it that it needed, and the vendor couldn’t spec the horsepower that it did need. Rather than continuing to chase performance, I took a chance on a quantum leap and put the HCI box in to provide the flexibility, but also the power, that it needed, and it has worked out.

• In terms of helping us with storage persistence across private and hybrid clouds, we do store data internally and in Azure. It has allowed us to consolidate a number of workloads, across our old NetApp and a number of our older storage arrays, into a single unit and have that unit also working with Azure.
  • Scalability was another thing I was looking at. The solution, by its very nature, is designed to be expandable and flexible, so you don't have to buy performance you don't need today, but you're also not stuck with something you can't expand.
  • I'd like to see some additional graphics capabilities because I'd like to look at some virtual desktop integration for CAD software.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely, have a look at this solution. It is simple, and I don't mean "simple" in a negative way. If you're not a company with a staff of hundreds, and most IT departments don't, you need something that allows you to do more with less overhead, provide better performance, and this is going to check all those boxes. We don’t use Data Fabric for hybrid or multi-clouds. We are not currently using this solution to leverage microservices from our clouds. We don't yet use it for Dev Ops, but when we start to do so I expect it will save us time and money. I rate the solution at about eight out of…