NetApp SaaS Backup OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

NetApp SaaS Backup is #8 ranked solution in top SaaS Backup tools. IT Central Station users give NetApp SaaS Backup an average rating of 8 out of 10. NetApp SaaS Backup is most commonly compared to Metallic:NetApp SaaS Backup vs Metallic. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is NetApp SaaS Backup?

As a Cloud Service Provider or a Managed Service Provider (MSP), deliver Data Protection as a Service (DPaaS) to your end customers for most popular SaaS Applications like Microsoft Office 365 and Salesforce. With Partner Central, reduce your Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) footprint and enhance your ROI. Hosted and delivered as software as a Service (SaaS), Partner Central enables you to manage and deliver Data Protection SLAs in a multi-tenant service architecture from a single user interface.

Download the SaaS Backup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

NetApp SaaS Backup Customers

Node4, Profi Engineering Systems

NetApp SaaS Backup Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about NetApp SaaS Backup pricing:
  • "The pricing is more or less the same as what we'd get from Veeam on Office 365, so it's fine."
  • "The licensing was based on a three-year subscription and the price is good compared so some other vendors."
  • "My understanding of the costs is that the price is fair, and not too expensive."

NetApp SaaS Backup Reviews

Anthony Njoroge
Product Manager - Netapp at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Simplifies backup, restore, and clone management across disparate applications and infrastructures

• "It gives you an option to back up to the cloud or back up to on-premise, or to backup to cloud storage."
  • "There are still a few things on SharePoint that they need to correct in terms of how they backup and restore."

What is most valuable?

It's a simple solution to use. It's simple to configure everything that you need — configure your backups. It gives you an option to backup to the cloud or backup to on-premise, or to backup to cloud storage.

For example, if a customer is running on Azure NetApp files or on something cloud-based that they want to back up, they have the option of bringing their own licensing and cloud controls and NetApp will give them the storage to back up for as long as they want.

When deleting backups, the controls are very intuitive so not just anyone can delete the backups, only the administrator is able to do that.

Backing up and restoring is simple. It's easy. It's one click of a button. It's quite good, I like it.

What needs improvement?

There are still a few things on SharePoint that they need to correct in terms of how they backup and restore. That's something that we had a challenge with; however, I know that they've been correcting these problems, which is good. The SharePoint Backup is one of the things that they need to look at.

We had an issue with SharePoint Defender earlier. We had a few bug issues in terms of restoring, but that has been fixed. Apart from that, we've had no issues.

They've always been supportive of everything that we've contacted them with. They have a lot of knowledge-based articles on their support center on particular issues that help us with challenges and misfits, especially with permissions. They'll come to you, create your organization, which has to have permission to have a global view of the Office 365 environment, to be able to take backups. They're extremely supportive, and they have a knowledge base that really helps other partners to install Office 365 effectively.

The initial setup is very simple. All you need to do is log in and create your login credentials on Office 365 Backup. It's already intuitively connected to Office 365, so all you need to do is put in the licensing and start configuring. It's very simple. It's already set up. You don't have to do much.

What other advice do I have?

The new name is SaaS Backup for Office 365.

I would recommend it because it makes it simple to manage backups from Office 365. It's really simple to use, very simple to scale, very simple to remove a license on a user who's no longer there and reuse that license.

You're able to keep the backups of users who have left the organization. You're able to keep all that backup swab just in case you need it for either compliance issues or if they return to the organization. You're able to restore all their emails and objects easily.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

The one thing that I'd want to see is integration into SnapCenter, which is NetApp's single pane of glass' for their backups. Not just for on-premise, but for the cloud as well, because there are CBL and Azure NetApp Files on Azure. If that integration could work, that would be good. I think that would be beneficial to the customer — as such, it works very well. If there were a litigation search function that could search through the organization to look for a specific email in case there's a litigation hold, that would be good.

Also, a function to restore to an on-premise exchange would definitely be helpful for customers who are running a hybrid exchange implementation. It's there, but you have to restore and run on the exchange, and then move the data back to on-premise. If we could have a function, or a tool, which we can take that backup from wherever it is, and just restore it to exchange, that would be perfect as well.

Momen Ahmed
Senior Network Security Engineer at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Reasonably-priced, stable, and the support is good

• "The most valuable feature is stability."
  • "Better integration with third-party databases and applications is needed."

What is our primary use case?

We were using this as a backup and recovery solution. However, we have just bought a replacement, which is the Commvault Backup System.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is stability.

What needs improvement?

There are several things that cannot be backed up as a full system, but rather only as a shared file. It isn't compatible with all applications and databases. Better integration with third-party databases and applications is needed. For example, we should be able to easily backup our Oracle database.

Better automation would be an improvement.

We have been working with NetApp SaaS Backup for between three and four years.

We did not have any issues in terms of stability.

Scalability is not a problem, except where it is not compatible with some databases and other applications.

The technical support team is very good.

The system is very easy to implement. We had no issues with the initial setup.

We are in the process of implementing a new backup system, Commvault. It is good because it is compatible with every system. It is compatible with any kind of database and any kind of application. Some things can also be done automatically. Commvault is also cheaper in price than NetApp.

In our search for a new solution, we evaluated the options from EMC and Veritas. We found, for example, that EMC cannot properly back up an Oracle database.

What other advice do I have?

Over the time that we have used it, NetApp SaaS was a good solution and it performed well. However, because of the incompatibility with some databases, I recommend using Commvault instead.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Metallic, Clumio and others in SaaS Backup. Updated: November 2021.
552,305 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MA
Systems and Network Administrator at Gulf Precast Concrete Co. LLC at Gulf Precast Concrete Co. LLC
User-friendly, superb customization, and the security is good

• "It's a user-friendly solution."
  • "For newcomers or people who have less experience, it's a complex solution that could be simplified somewhat."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution as a primary backup. We first transfer data to the tape backup, and then later we remove it from the server.

What is most valuable?

The interface, customization, and security are superb.

It's a user-friendly solution.

What needs improvement?

One area that is a problem is with the support and the time difference. When technical support is sleeping, we are awake and working, and when we are sleeping, the support is awake and working. Ideally, we would like to have regional support.

For newcomers or people who have less experience, it's a complex solution that could be simplified somewhat.

I have been using this product for more than one year.

It's a fully stable solution.

This is a scalable solution.

We haven't called support because we haven't needed it. It's running seamlessly and it has been very good.

We used Hitachi first, as well as Huawei. We switched because of the price and because it was going to expire.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We implemented it in bits, and it took a few days to complete.

There are only two people on the service side managing it. We are both admins.

We deployed with the help of a vendor. We didn't face any issues with the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

What is available is enough for our environment. This product is excellent.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

OkanGursoy
Storage & Backup Expert at 4S Bilisim
Good technical support and works in both SAN and NAS environments

• "The most valuable features are the support for both NAS and NFS."
  • "I would like to see the graphical user interface improved to include all of the functionality because there are some things that you need to use the command-line interface for."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and this is one of the solutions that I have experience with.

This solution is used for file sharing and for backup purposes. I am using SATA drives, which aren't very fast, so I am using them for backups.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the support for both NAS and NFS.

What needs improvement?

I have been using NetApp SaaS Backup for almost two years.

This is a stable solution.

I think that it is scalable. Our clients are enterprise-level companies with 500 or 1,000 users.

NetApp technical support is good. I can reach them via phone or email.

I would say that the initial setup is not easy, but not hard either. It is of medium-level difficulty. It takes two or three days to deploy, maximum.

My understanding of the costs is that the price is fair, and not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

NetApp SaaS Backup is a good product that serves multiple purposes. I can use it in both SAN and NAS environments. For anybody who is using both of these technologies, I suggest they consider NetApp.

Private Cloud
Muhammad Hadi Yahya
Technical Consultant at Macrovention Sdn Bhd
Simple to configure and use, stable, and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is for backing up company data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the simplicity in configuration and use.

What needs improvement?

The features need to be updated to support the latest hardware, as it changes every year.

I have been using NetApp SaaS Backup for six years.

It is performing well and I have not had any problems or issues with stability.

Scalability has not been an issue. We have about twenty staff who use this solution and we plan to increase usage in the future.

So far, our experience with…

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is for backing up company data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the simplicity in configuration and use.

What needs improvement?

I have been using NetApp SaaS Backup for six years.

It is performing well and I have not had any problems or issues with stability.

So far, our experience with technical support has been good and we don't have any issues with them.

The initial setup is pretty easy because I'm using cluster mode. I just need to enter the IP address and then put in the license code to join a cluster. After this, it is ready to use.

What other advice do I have?

NetApp SaaS Backup is a good solution and I recommend it.

Product Categories
SaaS Backup
Download our free SaaS Backup Report and find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Metallic, Clumio, and more!