NetApp Snapshot OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

NetApp Snapshot is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Data Replication tools. It is most often compared to NetApp SnapMirror: NetApp Snapshot vs NetApp SnapMirror

What is NetApp Snapshot?

NetApp Snapshot point-in-time copy software protects data with no performance impact and uses minimal storage space.

NetApp Snapshot Buyer's Guide

Download the NetApp Snapshot Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

NetApp Snapshot Customers

Mazda

NetApp Snapshot Video

Archived NetApp Snapshot Reviews (more than two years old)

PP
Head of Unit at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A very fast solution that is stable and doesn't use up disc space

• "The solution is fast and it doesn't use any disc space at all. You can also take as many snapshots as you like. These are the solution's most valuable features."
  • "The price could be a bit lower."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backup and disaster recovery.

What is most valuable?

The solution is fast and it doesn't use any disc space at all. You can also take as many snapshots as you like. These are the solution's most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

The solution has already updated the one thing I didn't like about it. At the last update they maximized the count of Snapshots. It used to be 255, and now it's 1000.

The price could be a bit lower.

I've been using the solution for 15 years.

The solution has perfect stability.

Scalability is good. It's very easy to expand if you need to. We've been happy with the scalability offered. We have about 2000 users currently.

I think that technical support is very helpful. If I have a problem, they contact me and help me solve it.

We didn't specifically use another solution. We use HPE systems in tandem with NetApp, so I wouldn't say that NetApp was replacing any other product.

The initial setup is very easy.

I have handled the installation a few times by myself, so in most cases I don't need any help from the NetApp or any other support team.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the on-premises deployment model.

I would recommend the solution. I'd rate it nine out of ten.

JK
Manager with 11-50 employees
The technology is very easy to use and one can easily scale

What is our primary use case?

In the current environment we keep Snapshots for only five days. So we go into the backup solution of using Veeam and VMware.

What is most valuable?

What I find most valuable, is the simplicity of the technology. It has a user-friendly interface.

What needs improvement?

I think the automation needs some improvement. It is not very user-friendly and could therefore be adapted a little.

I have been using NetApp Snapshot for around 11 years now.

The solution is very stable.

In my opinion one would easily be able to scale on this solution. We currently have about ten users.

How are customer

What needs improvement?

I have been using NetApp Snapshot for around 11 years now.

The solution is very stable.

The technical support is very good and I will rate it ten out of ten.

The initial setup was really easy and straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

If I have to rate this solution out of ten, I will give it a ten. It is a very good product and in the next version the developers can perhaps work on more automation.

Learn what your peers think about NetApp Snapshot. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MY
System Administration Supervisor at a non-tech company with 11-50 employees
An overall good solution with an easy initial setup and fair pricing

What is most valuable?

The feature that's most valuable is the ability to take a snapshot from a machine or VMware.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to ensure it has higher availability or business continuity.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The scalability is good.

Technical support was good. We used them when we were upgrading the solution.

The initial setup was straightforward.

The pricing of the solution is good.

What other

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to ensure it has higher availability or business continuity.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The scalability is good.

Technical support was good. We used them when we were upgrading the solution.

The initial setup was straightforward.

The pricing of the solution is good.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the private cloud deployment model. We just upgraded to the latest version of the solution.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

PP
Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A very mature solution for point-in-time data state capture but their support needs improvement

• "This is a very mature product that does exactly what it needs to in taking temporary pictures of data states."
  • "Although support is good, the global support is lacking depending on location."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is to take a snapshot of a current data state. We can use that, for example, if you make some changes — even minor changes database — you take snapshots of the data in a state that you believe the data is good. After that, you make a change to something in the data or maybe something happens where you lose some information or you make some other mistake — accidentally delete data — you can revert to the snapshot and your data will be restored to the point where the snapshot was taken.

The point is to create states so that it is impossible to lose big data. Sometimes people use Snapshot for other purposes — which is not correct — like for making backups. It is not a good idea. You can, technically, use it for that purpose, but I do not recommend it. Some of the information is saved on the same physical media when using Snapshot as a backup. The backup is on the same physical media as the original information, so if something were to happen to the physical media, you lose also backups.

How has it helped my organization?

Snapshot has improved our operations by allowing the opportunity to manipulate data sets without having to worry about making major mistakes with the data.

What is most valuable?

Snapshot has a specific purpose as a means to take a temporary picture of the current state of the data. This is its main feature but also the most important and valuable. Really, it is the only thing that it does.

What needs improvement?

Because the product is so mature — it was developed 25 years ago — every major feature that should be added to the product is already added. It doesn't seem that this product can be improved upon in significant ways. It is used to make a snapshot of the current data, that is what it needs to do and it does exactly that. I don't think that it can be improved at all. It is like a wheel: it is a round wheel and it is doing its job. You can make a wheel with a different shape, but it won't be better than the round one.

Rather than the product itself, the one thing that could possibly be improved is that NetApp global support is not very efficient. I had some issues that I contacted support about and sometimes they react to issues slowly. But the reaction time may be according to the exact product in the NetApp line and the hardware being used. There are different products in the NetApp Snapshot line, built with different approaches. Some are more difficult to use.

But from my experience and what I have heard from other users, the level of support in general for NetApp should be improved for better global coverage.

We have been using this solution for about six years.

The Snapshot product just works. In my opinion, you can't talk about the stability of this small component which is just part of a whole system. It is something like talking about the stability of a screwdriver. On the other hand, I think that actually the entire NetApp system is mature and stable.

By itself, it isn't really correct to talk about the scalability of Snapshot. Snapshot just takes what is essentially a photo of the current state of the data. That photo itself cannot be scalable. As far as the whole system — such as the storage capacity and the hardware components — this is scalable, but not the Snapshot itself. Imagine a hard disk which is part of your computer and this computer can be part of a larger network. The network can be scalable or not scalable. Your computer, which contains the hard disk, can be scalable or not scalable. You can add CPUs, you can add memory, you can add additional hard drives and so on. But the hard disk inside your computer, can not be scalable or not scalable. It's just a component.

Claims from my colleagues concur that they are not entirely happy with the level of global support. I cannot say that NetApp support is bad because it's not. But, for example, my colleague from Russia claims that they had some problems conversing with and getting support in some cases. Not all cases. It highly depends on the country and your location as to whether support is available during convenient hours.

But another problem, for example, is the availability of spare parts. Some hardware and spare parts are available subject to local customs procedures. So, when someone makes a claim that support procedures are slow, it may not be NetApp that is the problem because they can not do anything about the customs. It's a problem caused by local laws, maybe the importers, maybe customs, maybe someone else and not the vendor at all. Blame about slow support may be getting put on the company when it is not their problem at all.

Installing NetApp is not like a fridge where you just plug it in a power outlet and you are okay. No. It is necessary to know something about the product. NetApp writes excellent documentation and they also have some resources for partners that make it easier to use. I do not think that it is highly complex because I am familiar with it, but it is necessary to have done some preparation and gain some familiarity before the installation. You can not drive a car without the training and without passing the exams and so on. It is the same with Snapshot.

The need for assistance and the complexity of the installation depends on the product. If we are talking about Data ONTAP, you should have a technical background or maybe use resources like a vendor or partner to help with the installation. If we are talking about the HCI, you don't need to have a strong technical background. Many people decide to use or are moving to HCI solutions because they are simpler for the customer. At the same time, it is not quite as good of a solution for me. But people use what they want to have and sometimes ease-of-use is more important than specialized functionality.

But the coding for the more classic solution, Data ONTAP, requires some technical background or assistance to install.

A lot of vendors have a Snapshot solution. Snapshot is just the name of a solution by NetApp and represents one approach. Different vendors have different types of solutions for capturing data states. For example, it's like a diesel car, a car that runs on ethanol, or electro cars. All of them are cars. It is the same situation with the Snapshot solutions — they all make snapshots. NetApp invented it first and then other vendors just created something which looks like and behaves like Snapshot. NetApp's Snapshot is better — if we compare with all the storage solutions — because there is no performance overhead.

If we are talking about classic storage, the products are not so different if we are comparing NetApp and other snapshot solutions. In my opinion, Data ONTAP storage performance is very good, and the other vendors are just trying to achieve the same performance.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, with one being the worst and ten being the best, I would rate NetApp's Snapshot as a six or seven. The problem with offering advice about this product is that it is just a component of a system. It is almost like somebody is asking you about how skilled you are with computers. If you think that skill with computers means you can push a button and something happens, you may be very skilled pushing that one button, but the skill is just pushing a button. You can press it or not. But if you have a whole keyboard, you won't press only one button. You buy the keyboard and use the whole keyboard. Some buttons will be pressed more frequently than other buttons. But you can not have a keyboard with half of the buttons or can't use a keyboard that is missing the one button you know how to use. On a keyboard, you can not say one button is more useful than another one. A keyboard is a whole thing. The NetApp solution is not just the Snapshot solution. This is a small part of the storage system. It is very useful — just excellent — but you can not use it without storage and other parts. You need the whole solution. It would be like buying a wheel without the car. You should not pay for something you can't use or have no need for in the first place.

I can answer generally about the NetApp system, and I think it is a seven.

Manuel Costa
System Administrator - Infrastructure Area Coordinator at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
It takes less time to do backups and it has good customization options

• "Compared to the traditional way we did backups, with Snapshot it takes us less time. It has improved my organization by saving us time."
  • "Not a perfect ten because there is one point off to give it room for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the on-prem deployment model of this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The speed is the most valuable feature. The interface is user-friendly and we can do a lot of customization with it.

I have been using Snapshot for almost a year.

It's very stable. We had one bug, but regardless, the solution worked as expected and we didn't feel any impact regarding the bug. It was very straightforward to install the parts and the service keeps running, so I'm happy with the solution.

Scalability is different from the other solutions that we have used. We haven't needed to scale yet but if we were to, it has good capabilities. We have around 200 users using this solution.

Their technical support is very good.

We used standard backup solutions by Dell EMC. We actually preferred Dell EMC solutions.

The initial setup was very straightforward. The deployment took around half a day.

We used an integrator's help for the deployment but it was very simple to install and to use. It's very straightforward.

It's not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I'm quite happy with the solution and the integration it has with other products. I would recommend it to someone considering it.

I would rate it with a nine out of ten. Not a perfect ten because there is one point off to give it room for improvement.

OkanGursoy
Storage & Backup Expert at 4S Bilisim
Easy to use Snapshot and clone capabilities

What is our primary use case?

I am using the solution for backup purposes in a private cloud environment

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are the snapshot and clone capabilities. This solution is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see cloud features added to the next release of this solution.

I have been using this solution for two years.

This is a very stable solution.

This solution is scalable. We have approximately seventy-five users. We have no plans to increase our usage at this time.

The solution has been working…

What is our primary use case?

I am using the solution for backup purposes in a private cloud environment

What is most valuable?

This solution is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see cloud features added to the next release of this solution.

I have been using this solution for two years.

This is a very stable solution.

This solution is scalable. We have approximately seventy-five users.

We have no plans to increase our usage at this time.

The solution has been working so I haven't had to contact technical support.

I am using HPE 3PAR in addition to this solution. We have not switched.

The initial setup of this solution is complex.

The Professional Services group from NetApp implemented my storage solution, and the deployment took one day.

The price of this solution is fair. It is not expensive.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good storage solution, but it is not extraordinary.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Jagdish  Hegde
Lead Storage Engineer - Cloud Platform at Ellie Mae
It centralizes your data

• "You never have to worry about maintaining millions of files stored across several thousands of virtual machines."
  • "It centralizes your data."
  • "You never have to worry about protecting your virtual machines."
  • "If your data is more dynamic and changes frequently, you need more granular retention levels and need to save it for a longer duration, then this becomes a real challenge."

What is our primary use case?

Storage-based snapshots without an operational or management overhead, which is usually the case with any backup software.

How has it helped my organization?

Did you lose your VM? No worries, spin up a new VM and attach to data. Set a policy and tag it during storage provisioning. You never have to worry about maintaining millions of files stored across several thousands of virtual machines.

What is most valuable?

• It centralizes your data.
  • It lets your storage take care of backup, DR, and BCP.
  • You never have to worry about protecting your virtual machines.

What needs improvement?

If there is a way to save more on the number of snapshots, it should be included in the next release.

More than five years.
it_user527271
Exchange Administrator at Albuquerque Public Schools
​More reliable and accessible data protection than backups alone

What is most valuable?

The data protection provides peace of mind.

How has it helped my organization?

More reliable and accessible data protection than backups alone.

What needs improvement?

Specialized applications like SnapManager for Exchange (SME) are finicky.

My experience with SME is that it is not as stable at the overall Snap platform (which is part of ONTAP, not a separate product like the SnapManager products). SME does a fine job of backing up Exchange databases, but due to the HA nature of DAGs, there are times when a primary database switches from server to server. When this happens, SME does not elegantly handle that transition; as a result, there can be missed snapshots. This means gaps in your recoverable timeframe.

I'm not sure how to fix the issue as I'm not a software developer. I'm sure there are complexities that I don't see.

More than six years.

Only with SME, especially going between versions. So, rarely.

Very good.

Straightforward, once you fully comprehend the concept. It's not 'simple', but it works well and is comprehensible.

What other advice do I have?

Do it! Don't not do it.

Product Categories
Data Replication
Download our free NetApp Snapshot Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Quick Links