Netezza Analytics OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Netezza Analytics is #5 ranked solution in top Hadoop tools. IT Central Station users give Netezza Analytics an average rating of 8 out of 10. Netezza Analytics is most commonly compared to Apache Spark: Netezza Analytics vs Apache Spark.
What is Netezza Analytics?
IBM Netezza Analytics is an embedded, purpose-built, advanced analytics platform that empowers analytic enterprises to meet and exceed their business demands. As features, it can predict with more accuracy, deliver predictions faster and respond rapidly to changes.

Download the Hadoop Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Netezza Analytics Customers
A leading online advertising network
Netezza Analytics Video

Netezza Analytics Reviews

RS
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A high-performance solution to create reports from our data mart, but the scalability needs improvement

• "The most valuable feature is the performance."
  • "The Analytics feature should be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for creating reports from the data in our data mart.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the performance.

There is less administrative work and you won't need more than one or two administrators.

Upgrading is very good, the IBM support is very good, migration, and the migration commands are also very good and easy.

What needs improvement?

Concurrency was an issue. If you run small querries it runs well, and the performance is good. However, when you run multiple long querries or multiple joins, it has some concurrency issues, except for some date covers and some configuration requirements.

Scalability can be improved. When I say that I can add new nodes to the system, compared to other systems, you have to come up with a new box, and not everybody likes that.

In the next release, I would like to see the scalability and concurrency issues resolved. Also, the joining rate features against the swap phase issues need to be addressed.

In regards to the swap phase, if you have less cred then your swaps go down, and your system gets restarted every time, which affects the query files. It should not get restarted. Swap memory issues should be improved.

The Analytics feature should be simplified. Everyone is talking about machine learning aspects and people go for the data mart appliance. The portfolio is built for the data storage and the data is accessed frequently. People would like it to be easier.

I have been using Netezza Analytics for more than six years.

This solution is stable. It requires fewer systems and maintenance.

If you are a controlled business user, it is very stable.

This solution is scalable but it needs to be improved.

We have forty users and we don't plan to increase usage at this time.

The technical support is very good and I am satisfied with them.

The deployment took over one month to complete. We ordered several servers and had to wait for delivery.

What other advice do I have?

I don't think that it is currently available on the cloud, except for IBM Bluemix. They will come up with DB2 Analytics. IBM will come up with a new name.

Moving the data from one box to another box or moving it to the cloud or any other storage, the connectors are there but the efficiency in the movement or the data movement features is similar to USB.

Netezza has already changed its name, so they are no longer selling this solution under this brand. They are selling Neteeza Mako and I would recommend it, although I am still looking for an analytics solution.

Netezza has already launched the new DB2 analytics.

You want to think about whether or not you want to purchase it or consider other solutions such as Snowflake, and Redshift.

When we deployed this solution, the FPGA concept was not at all clear until we started using FPGA with SQL performance-tuning that combines the hardware with the software. It's tightly coupled.

I was not aware of the Sqoop connectors to Hadoop that are used to transfer data from databases to Hadoop and vice-versa. We already had Neteeza, so we only had to download Sqoop. There are several SQL analytics. Not everyone is aware that these functions are already built and that there are separate analytics and SQL analytics function libraries available to download for free.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

AG
Solution Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Stable with limited administration needed but it's coming up on its end of life

• "The need for administration involvement is quite limited on the solution."
  • "I'm not sure of IBM's roadmap currently, as the solution is coming up on its end of life."

What is our primary use case?

We're currently trying to create a data warehouse on the solution.

What is most valuable?

The appliance is quite quiet.

The need for administration involvement is quite limited on the solution.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure if Netezza offers a cloud version of the solution or not, but if they don't they should. Most companies are focused on moving towards the cloud. If it was on a cloud it would offer certain scalability and performance aspects it can't offer as a physical appliance.

I was using the solution until about six months ago; the solution is coming up on its end of life.

The solution is stable. Design time estimates are still required, but it's quite a stable product. It's not like cloud technologies or if they're on the computer, that the storage can be spread out. It can only be IP coupled on hand, which is not the case for other solutions like Snowflake or other kinds of cloud implementations.

As an on-premises appliance, we have to add boxes, but that's an option if we need to scale. It's not as scalable as a cloud solution; it's limited by certain boundaries. We have about 20-30 people using the solution currently.

I haven't been in touch with technical support over the last year, so I can't really comment on their level of service.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup, I joined it in between. My role was to support the BAU and then to set up a Cloud Data Hybrid Platform. On the data side, I was much more involved.

What other advice do I have?

We were using the on-premises deployment model.

I haven't been following the solution for the last year or year and a half, so I don't have too much to say about it.

I'd rate it seven out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Apache, Cloudera and others in Hadoop. Updated: October 2021.
543,936 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AM
System Administrator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
An easy installation, good integration with a legacy platform, and good scalability

• "For me, as an end-user, everything that I do on the solution is simple, clear, and understandable."
  • "The solution could implement more reporting tools and networking utilities."

What is most valuable?

We're using several databases, about 1000, and we create lots of queries and run them from different places and from different processes. Both for the processing database and analytic database, we're using queries. It's easy to upload and download the data using the cloud or mobile storage architecture on our site. The solution offers very good management.

For me, as an end-user, everything that I do on the solution is simple, clear, and understandable.

The performance level the solution offers is very good.

The Java encoded integrators are good.

What needs improvement?

I'm not an administrator, so I can't speak to the solution on a deeper level. For me, everything works well.

The solution could implement more reporting tools and networking utilities.

I've been using the solution for six years.

The scalability of the solution seems good. We've been able to move from small to large databases quite easily.

I didn't participate in the installation, but I believe the process is easy. The installation instructions, from what I understand, are easy to follow. Even the integration from another platform, from DB2 and Microsoft SQL, was no problem for us.

What other advice do I have?

For the last two years, we've been using the cloud deployment model. We're an IBM partner.

We're using various types of databases including DB2 and Microsoft SQL.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. We had no problem integrating this solution with our legacy platform.

Product Categories
Hadoop
Download our free Hadoop Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Apache, Cloudera, and more!