NETGEAR Insight Access Points Overview

NETGEAR Insight Access Points is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Wireless LAN tools. It is most often compared to Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN: NETGEAR Insight Access Points vs Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN

What is NETGEAR Insight Access Points?

At NETGEAR, we turn ideas into innovative networking products that connect people, power businesses, and advance the way we live. Easy to use. Powerful. Smart. And designed just for you.

NETGEAR Insight Access Points Buyer's Guide

Download the NETGEAR Insight Access Points Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

NETGEAR Insight Access Points Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about NETGEAR Insight Access Points pricing:
  • "I can source the stuff pretty quickly wherever I go through the distributor. There is pricing available at NETGEAR if you can spend between $2,000 and $5,000 on a solution. So, there is special pricing that they can help with. The vendor's reps are very responsive. They have a good channel system."
  • "For what you get, the price of Insight access points is very reasonable."
  • "It wasn't much more than 100 dollars a year. For the devices that we have, the pricing was pretty fair."
  • "Their pricing is perfect for smaller businesses who are money and budget conscious. There are a lot of other solutions out there that are two to three times more expensive."
  • "Price-wise, it is a little too high, about $20 higher than what it should be, but it's worth it. It's cheaper than Cisco's access point, but the products are not apples to apples."
  • "The pricing seems to be reasonable."

Greg Phillips
Information Technology Consultant at mytechcoach
Without using a third-party, I can deploy a network with software built-in

What is our primary use case?

My IT business is managed services for companies who are under 50 employees. It is deployed for offices, office buildings, and office suites, but probably no more than a small office building. Typically, an office suite could be as little as one or two access points or as big as 10 access points. This solution helps an MSP, like me, manage my time better because I have more visibility and the ability to control things from a distance. I use the WAX610 access points. It varies with the router, sometimes it is a BR100 router and a lot of times it is an SXK80.

• "I am all about simplicity. With the Insight management solution, I don’t need an additional cloud controller, appliance, network manager, or PC/server to configure and manage my access points. You have to look at cost, and everything has a cost. There is a cost to using Insight. But if the cost is reasonable, I don't want another layer. The ability to deploy a network and then have that software built-in, without having to go to a third-party, is big. Also, the less pieces that I have to call in on, the better. So, when I'm calling NETGEAR, it's not like I'm using some third-party piece of software to manage their product. It doesn't add that layer of complexity, which is key."
  • "The registration is annoying. I have to go back to NETGEAR and log tickets. Access points and router registration are something that they need to address in Insight. They need to fix the bug of getting the devices activated and enrolled in Insight without fighting with them. I have probably done about six of these in the last month. You get to see patterns."

What other advice do I have?

Set up a relationship with NETGEAR and get yourself a relationship with the rep and engineer so you have that back-end support for the pre-sale solution. Set these devices up in your house first, add them to Insight, and get to know the idiosyncrasies. Then, when you get into the field, you will be well-prepared. You don't have to do all this yourself. There are a lot of resources. Once you find a partner who is a good channel partner, i.e., one that wants to work with smaller guys like me and has good resources, then you don't need to figure it all out yourself. You have a team if you partner…
Korey Rutherford
Auditor in Charge - Project Manager at a educational organization with 10,001+ employees
MSP
The Insight management tool lets you build a complex network even with limited formal knowledge

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use NETGEAR for home and office to allow internal network sharing among devices and people. It really is the backbone of the entire network. There is no need for servers or for other equipment beyond what we know is registered in the inside portal. As such, we just get a feed from our ISP and it goes directly into the access points. That's it. The population for our use case is pretty small. While there are three or four employees who utilize the Insight access points concurrently, there are many more who make use of it throughout the day.

• "The metrics demonstrate that NETGEAR really does a good job of balancing the load between the various access points on the networks and this results in an elimination of downtime."
  • "While the data throughput does provide us with full insight into data being used, we find that it's not very accurate."

What other advice do I have?

We are making use of three WAX610s, one of each of WAC540 and WAX610Y, and five SXR80. I handle maintenance on my own and this is not a full time job. It's pretty straightforward and this is especially so as the units we have in place are up 100 percent of the time and are lightning fast. The biggest lesson that I've learned from using the Insight access points is that there is no need for expertise. A master's degree and networking for their use is not required to put together a complex network for meeting one's needs. What we've got going here is pretty complex. As it turns out, it's been…
Learn what your peers think about NETGEAR Insight Access Points. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DK
Managing Partner at a consumer goods company with 1-10 employees
Gives me situational awareness and troubleshooting abilities when working remotely

What is our primary use case?

I use it for troubleshooting. If I see anything go down or anything come up, I log in and check. I reboot to get awareness of what's going on, and I do configuring too. I've been having a lot of issues with the routers. I don't use the VPN solution because it's not secured. Since I'm far away, at home, I don't have a VPN built-in, so I use Insight for everything I do remotely. I use the solution's mobile app on my phone and the web portal on my desktop.

• "I'm able to do a lot of things, because the GUI is designed very well. I'm able to remotely make certain changes via my phone and apply them right away. It makes life easier when it comes to managing the equipment. The Insight management solution phone app is very good. It enables me to do what I want to do."
  • "Ubiquiti is a very good company. NETGEAR should look at that model and expand on its remote capabilities. Ubiquiti seems to have a better product."

What other advice do I have?

Look at the products. I think Ubiquiti is a very good company. NETGEAR should look at that model and expand on its remote capabilities. Ubiquiti seems to have a better product. I put in a NETGEAR BR200 router and it gave me a lot of headaches when trying to create VLANs. I have a big WiFi on the property, and that's creating a lot of issues. I don't know whether the issues are connected to the Insight solution, but I think the product has a lot of room for improvement.
WC
Electrician at IHG Consulting LLC
Easy way to update devices from anywhere in the world

What is our primary use case?

It is a multi-building campus. This way, when we are in-between buildings, we have them meshed together. Then, we can stay on the same WiFi throughout all three buildings. It is in a church, which I have one in my house. Then, we have a church that I go to, where we have three in one building, two in another building, and five in the third building.

• "The meshing capabilities are the most valuable feature. When I am going in-between buildings, my phone doesn't have to pick up different WiFi. They are all the same. Even in-between the buildings, I stay connected."
  • "There is always room for improvement."

What other advice do I have?

I am very happy. We have made other purchases with NETGEAR products since the initial purchase. They are the way to go with their customer support as well as their easy equipment installation. We built a system, which is way above where it needs to be right now. So, it will be a long time before we have to increase it. My biggest lesson is to use the NETGEAR products because it was so easy. I would rate it as a 10 out of 10, but there is always room for improvement.
David Grissom
Owner at Grissom Technology
Effortlessly configure WiFi devices and manage utilization remotely or from the cloud

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is to provide WiFi access for my customers with remote management of their WiFi devices.

• "[Being] able to configure the WiFi devices and to see utilization remotely, or from the cloud."
  • "A con is the backend system which is very, very slow."

What other advice do I have?

I use the NETGEAR Insight management solution and in terms of user-friendliness, there are a lot of pros and cons. The pros are definitely that I can see a complete overview of all of my devices out there. The ability to configure the devices from the cloud is a huge plus. The Insight management solution provides me with network management, monitoring and service deployment without having to go site to site. The solution enables me to manage my entire network from anywhere in the world. This increases my effectiveness. I have basically built my company to be mobile first. We rely heavily on…
BP
Owner at a hospitality company with 11-50 employees
Insight management app on my phone enables me to set up and manage devices anywhere

What is our primary use case?

We use it for guest WiFi.

• "We use NETGEAR's Insight management solution to do off-property controls. It is user-friendly and provides network management, monitoring, and service deployment across multiple remote and local sites. That means I don't have to be physically at a location to do things if I want to make any changes to the network. It saves time and money."
  • "Software-wise, they need to provide the ability to kick users out. If multiple users are abusing the system or the network, I should be able to block them for a time and, when I need to unblock them, I should be able to do so by using their MAC ID. That feature might already be there and I just don't know about it."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to go ahead and switch to this one, because this is the best-performing device I have seen so far. When you start doing multiple experiments, you end up with higher costs. I have learned from my mistake. I spent almost $2,300 to fix the internet for the hotel, and I could have done so for $1,000 with NETGEAR. The solution provides full insight into the data being used but that feature doesn't affect me as much because I don't really focus on what people use the data on. Overall, I would rate NETGEAR Insight Access Points at nine out of 10. The reasons it's not a 10 is…
Paul Steinman
Personal User
Works very well with the WiFi, but does not offer any assistance at all with routers

What is our primary use case?

I have a large home LAN with multiple WiFi access points. I have four connected and I have a bunch of routers. I only use the solution's app on the iPhone, version 6.2.20.

• "From the WiFi aspect, it's very intuitive and easy to use. The solution enables me to manage my entire WiFi from anywhere in the world..."
  • "The biggest issue I've had is that it works very well with the WiFi, but it does not offer any assistance at all with the routers. You can't control them or manage them at all. As soon as you want to use anything on the network side—because I have multiple 28-port switches—you can't manage them using this app."

What other advice do I have?

The biggest thing is understanding how you're going to do your management, and making sure that the solution you're looking at is an end-to-end solution for your network management needs.
CC
Principal at a consumer goods company with 11-50 employees
Works extremely well to remote access my network

What is our primary use case?

I use it for a residential small business. I have a BR500 VPN Router and four WAC540 Access Points. I also have three GC108PP PoE Insight Switches and a fourth that is their bigger brother.

• "I now have the ability to remote access my network. That works extremely well. I can access it from any place. I don't need to be physically at the device. This saves me on time and travel."
  • "I have some frustrations with the ease of use. It tends to be sluggish. The graphical interface is pretty, but not useful. They have this tree that shows connected devices, which makes no sense whatsoever because the labeling field of the tree truncates all the items to the point that it's almost useless. You can't even tell what it is. I would prefer a spreadsheet list of the gear as opposed to a graphical representation."

What other advice do I have?

Anybody who has the need or desire to move beyond consumer-grade, big-box, store available gear will be very pleased with this product. For all the different models combined, I would give it an eight (out of 10).