NETSCOUT InfiniStreamNG OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is NETSCOUT InfiniStreamNG?

NETSCOUT’s new ISNG platform harnesses the power of IP intelligence by mining traffic in real-time to deliver accurate and actionable data for service assurance, cybersecurity and business intelligence applications. The InfiniStreamNG platform fully supports the nGeniusONE and Iris application suites.

NETSCOUT InfiniStreamNG was previously known as InfiniStreamNG, NETSCOUT ISNG, Infinistream.

Download the Network Monitoring Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

NETSCOUT InfiniStreamNG Customers

U.S. Department of Defense

NETSCOUT InfiniStreamNG Video

Archived NETSCOUT InfiniStreamNG Reviews (more than two years old)

JW
Engineer at All Native Group
The performance metrics gives us a proactive analysis of the different applications which are being used on the network

• "It has cut our troubleshooting down by days. Once we have a product in place, we show people examples of how it can streamline their troubleshooting process."
  • "Only problems that we have had are fiber issues going into the TAPs or vSTREAMs, which are usually local site issues."

What is our primary use case?

We do pre-analysis using the OptiView of the networks. We also do what is called packet analysis, quick reaction. We go through the site using OptiView, doing data analysis, bring it back and use that.

We also do the pen screens on migrated sites through Joint Regional Security Stack (JRSS), so when we do the pen screen installs, the ball feeds back to the regional cyber center and into the nGeniusOne. Then, we look at the nGeniusONE to do KPIs, data analysis, and see where the problems are with the network and give reports on it. We try to be proactive regarding the networks using this tool.

Proactive analysis is what we do. Quick reaction is my team's title. We use the tools for proactive analysis of network sites to see where the problems are and what layer the problems at.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us feature view analysis of the network and pre-deployment. It provides the local site better insight by showing them what is going on with their network.

Once we get it online, we have greater visibility on the network and can see where the problems are at.

There are common tools that a lot of our sites use, and when we see the data coming in, we try to pick one (Citrix or SCCM). We can see where they are having problems using the tool, then start building a list of what the dependencies are, and if there is any commonality between this site and that site in the network problems.

We had a site trying to get from point A to point B. They were going through multilayer jumps on the network. We found out it that they didn't have their proxy servers balanced, so everything was going through one proxy server. We used OptiView to find that out.

What is most valuable?

• Visibility
  • Analysis
  • Solving future problems that we see, as things come up using nGeniusONE.
  • Ease of use
  • The performance metrics that it provides. They gives us a proactive analysis of the different applications which are being used on the network. This gives us a better view into where the problems lie.

The nGeniusONE solution is very stable. I don't think we have had any problems with it. It gives us a good view into the networks, helping out the sites that we deal with.

It can be scaled with the Multi-Mode TAP solution. We have it big and little sites, e.g., we have a site with 14,000 users and another site with about 3000.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. We have a build guide that we went through and started in our lab. We modified it, so it's pretty easy to do once you get going.

I worked with NETSCOUT on the deployment.

It has cut our troubleshooting down by days. Once we have a product in place, we show people examples of how it can streamline their troubleshooting process. Getting sites and the government to understand this, that is the biggest obstacle.

What other advice do I have?

Go with NETSCOUT. Versus other tools out there, this is the best tool.

We are getting ready to get the solution for unified communication application performance.

Keith Carradine
Manager at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
The single pane of glass view is click intuitive, but it needs to be more scalable with less spend

What is our primary use case?

Network Monitoring Troubleshooting

How has it helped my organization?

This solution provides us with increased visibility when conducting IT deployments, e.g., all of our WAN upgrades. We are using it to increase our bandwidth, so we can improve customer service.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is utilization. The single pane of glass view is click intuitive.

What needs improvement?

I would like it to be more scalable with less spend.

It is very stable.

The scalability has some limitations and quirks to it. I would like to be able to upgrade rather than replace the whole thing.

How are customer service and

What is our primary use case?

• Network
  • Monitoring
  • Troubleshooting

How has it helped my organization?

We are using it to increase our bandwidth, so we can improve customer service.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is utilization.

The single pane of glass view is click intuitive.

What needs improvement?

I would like it to be more scalable with less spend.

It is very stable.

We have had a lot of good success with technical support.

We had a brand new technology, and there was no solution in existence.

The initial setup was straightforward. I didn't have to worry much about it. My engineer, sales engineer, and RSE did most of it.

We worked directly with NETSCOUT for the deployment.

We have seen a lot of return on investment:

• We have been able to recover radios in the field.
  • We know exactly what is going on.
  • We cut down fines from the service commission.

We have seen a measurable decrease in mean time to know.

We cut troubleshooting down by days, as we can now see the issues.

We evaluated NETSCOUT and CISCO.

What other advice do I have?

Talk to other users.

Find out what your peers are saying about NETSCOUT, PICO, Cisco and others in Network Monitoring Software. Updated: November 2021.
554,873 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Shon Sweeney
Engineer at Transaction Network Services

• "When we have mobile operators who are signal partners, where one is the roaming host and another is the roamer, we are able to see their traffic. Their packets are able to detect if any faults to develop, and at what point they fail."
  • "The monitoring and reporting tool needs improvement. Users want more information, such as the level of detail when doing a packet analysis. They want more detail to be able to isolate down to a specific point."

What is our primary use case?

Currently, we use it for our LTE roaming solution. We monitor the traffic between partner LTE providers and the business analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

When we have mobile operators who are signal partners, where one is the roaming host and another is the roamer, we are able to see their traffic. Their packets are able to detect if any faults to develop, and at what point they fail.

For our roaming clients and LTE providers, we are able to see their traffic, see the trends, and are able to isolate their faults and failures.

It helps us to get to root cause quickly.

We use the solution for unified communication application performance and SIP monitoring. It helps us with uptime and end user performance. We are able to view the dashboards in near real-time. We can follow a trend, whether its traffic is increasing or decreasing, and isolate a time of fault.

Being able to use the Universal Monitor along with data mining has really helped us.

What is most valuable?

It is the ability to see the traffic end-to-end in almost real-time.

I like the single pane of glass view.

The dependency mapping is very good.

Users seem to be able to grasp the concept of it and learn it very quickly.

What needs improvement?

The monitoring and reporting tool needs improvement. Users want more information, such as the level of detail when doing a packet analysis. They want more detail to be able to isolate down to a specific point.

We have had the solution for several years.

Right now, the solution is very stable. Rarely do we see a fault in the application or in the infrastructure that supports it.

I like the scalability.

My onsite engineer has been very valuable. He is very knowledgeable and has able to help us work through some problems.

Before we used NETSCOUT for IPX and LTE monitoring, we would have to spend hours tracing through calls using other tools and other protocol analyzers, like Wireshark.

For diameter monitoring, our previous solution was very rudimentary. We found that NETSCOUT provides more detail.

We knew that we needed a new solution because of the industry trend, which was IPX connectivity going towards LTE and 5G roaming.

Deploying the equipment and applications was straightforward. It is very simple to deploy, not complex.

We just recently replaced our mediation system, and it was fairly straightforward.

We went directly through NETSCOUT for the deployment.

We have seen ROI.

We are attracting customers in good sized numbers as we advertise and market this solution. We are expanding our customer base and are working towards integrating it into other product lines that we have developed.

What other advice do I have?

Have a good detailed plan of how you want to deploy it. Once it's deployed, it will probably be very difficult to rearrange it in a short amount of time.

NB
Technology Manager at Wells Fargo
Once you know how to use the product, it's easy and simple

• "The product is stable. I have never had any issue where we have lost an InfiniStream, or visibility from that particular InfiniStream, throughout the bank."
  • "The technology goes end-of-life on us every year, which is why I am looking forward to vSTREAM. I don't like when devices go end-of-life on us so quickly. If we can get more of an advanced notice of when an end-of-life is brought up, because our certification process within the organization takes a while."

What is our primary use case?

We analyze all the data which comes in and out of the bank with InfiniStreams.

How has it helped my organization?

We can effectively troubleshoot any situation which goes on, due to the visibility provided by the InfiniStreams. Our team does a lot of the packet analysis, which is really key for us. We are able to solve whatever the problem might be for customers.

Most of the time, it helps us get to root cause quickly.

We use the solution for unified communication application performance in our CSAN environment. It helps us with uptime and user experience. From the visibility standpoint, whatever device that we're monitoring, it gives us all the info that we need from uptime to issues on the whole analytical piece of the product.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is having visibility.

The single pane of glass view gives us simplicity.

The dependency mapping is good.

What needs improvement?

The technology goes end-of-life on us every year, which is why I am looking forward to vSTREAM. I don't like when devices go end-of-life on us so quickly. If we can get more of an advanced notice of when an end-of-life is brought up, because our certification process within the organization takes a while. It takes us six months to certify a new one, or longer.

Knock on wood. I have never had an InfiniStream go down.

The product is stable. I have never had any issue where we have lost an InfiniStream, or visibility from that particular InfiniStream, throughout the bank. Kudos to Netscout for putting out a good product.

We have scaled up from the InfiniStream 4000 to the InfiniStream 9000 model, which has worked fine. I haven't had any issues.

I am impressed with vSTREAM. We haven't used it yet. I am looking forward to scaling from the hardware instrumentation to the virtual instrumentation with vSTREAM. Hopefully, that will work well for us.

I have onsite technical support. They are rock stars. The support is phenomenal.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We have NETSCOUT sale engineers who are assigned to us. Those guys assist us with all of our deployment needs.

It has cut our group's troubleshooting time down significantly, e.g., depending on the issue, what would normally take maybe a couple of hours will now take minutes.

The solution has helped to increase our application/network uptime.

What other advice do I have?

Talk to their SEs. Make sure you get your bang for your buck with the proper instrumentation, like with a vSTREAM.

I am pretty pleased with the product. Once you know how to use the product, it's easy and simple. It doesn't break. Ours don't. We haven't had any issues, and that means a lot.

AC
IT Specialist at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
It give us visibility in the network where we wouldn't have it, but the price is a little high

• "The most valuable features are speed and cost."
  • "There is a timeout feature that we have been asking for awhile."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for packet collection and analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

From a troubleshooting perspective, it allows us to quickly search all data TAP points in the network.

It helps our network engineers get to root cause quickly.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are speed and cost.

It give us visibility in the network where we wouldn't have it. We can use TAP to see the data and areas that we need to.

I love the single pane of glass view. I love the ability to look at all of our devices in one area, not having to jump around.

What needs improvement?

There is a timeout feature that we have been asking for awhile.

The overall cost of the solution needs improvement.

Overall, the stability is really good. It continues to get better with each upgrade.

Scalability is good. It seems to be very scalable for what we use it for.

The technical support has been very good for all the cases that we have had.

We didn't have a previous solution.

This solution has cut our overall troubleshooting time.

The price is a little high.

What other advice do I have?

Ask for demos. Come to a NETSCOUT Engage conference. Try the product out.

We minimally use it for unified communication application performance.

JC
Network Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is super easy to use and provides visibility

• "It helps us to assist our customers to isolate problems. If it is us who is having the problem, then we can use it to streamline the process."
  • "It's not able to communicate with our probes."

What is our primary use case?

To isolate whether we are getting the data from customers.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us to assist our customers to isolate problems. If it is us who is having the problem, then we can use it to streamline the process.

It helps us to get to root cause more quickly. It is easier than setting different traps or captures on firewalls.

What is most valuable?

To know that packets are reaching our platform. If they are not reaching our platform, then we push it back to the customer. My job is bringing people to our platform. So, if they can't connect to it, then I haven't done my job.

The single pane of glass view seems healthy, and I can work with it.

It does help us with uptime and end use experience.

What needs improvement?

It's not able to communicate with our probes.

Sometimes, we can't access it.

It appears to be very scalable.

We need a new solution because of the visibility. As a telecom company, we needed to know that there is quality and access.

I think it was direct with NETSCOUT for the connectivity.

As far as my function, this solution helps a lot. It's a definitive answer if we're seeing those packets at all. We send the packet capture that we're seeing to the customer, then they have to say, "Oh, it's our problem." Then, I don't have to mess with it.

This solution has saved us hours (three to four) per problem when troubleshooting.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend getting the product. It is super easy to use for what I need, and it provides me visibility.

RC
Senior Network Engineer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
We can track packet latency and see in-between different sites

• "The technical support is really good. They will go above and beyond, if you are running into a problem. You can go to a sales engineer, who will engage technical support to help you out."
  • "The stability depends on who is using the tool, because you only can get as much out of the tool as you put into it. There are a lot of patches for this particular environment, so you have to keep on them. If you lose track of them, then the product is not useful anymore."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for troubleshooting application performance issues and monitoring applications.

How has it helped my organization?

A lot of the application owners don't know how their applications work, start to end. You can map application flow and tell application developers exactly where the problem is, then have them develop better code or scale it.

This solution provides us with increased visibility while conducting IT deployments. If we are trying to monitor an application to see its sources (the destination IP addresses), we can get all this from the tool. We can track the packet latency and see in-between different sites.

This solution helps us get to root cause quickly. nGeniusPULSE will alert us, letting us where the problem exists. Then, we can go in and fix that particular problem, instead of sniffing through thousands of packets to see if we can find something.

What is most valuable?

• Ease of use
  • Customization
  • Support

What needs improvement?

The training classes are great, but they go too fast. You can only get so much out of them. If you have experience with the tool, you can get a little out of the classes. However, if you have no experience, then the classes might be tough. They need to improve the training of the tool.

I have been using this product since version 2.0.

The stability depends on who is using the tool, because you only can get as much out of the tool as you put into it. There are a lot of patches for this particular environment, so you have to keep on them. If you lose track of them, then the product is not useful anymore.

The scalability is good, but it comes at a cost. E.g., if you need 100 InfiniStream because you are sending gigs or terabytes of data to one InfiniStream, then you will have to purchase another InfiniStream, which are not cheap.

Previously, if we had huge war room type issues, they would bring in network, server, and database all into one group. Now, with this tool, we can pinpoint and show exactly where the issue is.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

I deployed it myself.

We have seen ROI and will continue to see ROI from this product, as we engage more people on it.

Because we are doing proactive monitoring instead of reactive, the end users don't even see that there is something wrong. We have fixed it before they even know about it.

Since the solution is showing us a holistic picture instead of just looking at packet data, then we can trigger in and see where the actual problem lies. E.g., if we have slow response in an application, it will help us see where the actual issue is happening, on the end user side or is it more server side? Just telling us that it's not network will save a lot of time for another person.

This has helped our application/network uptime, because we are doing proactive versus reactive monitoring. We are fixing stuff before anybody knows about it.

I have looked at other solutions, but I have been with NETSCOUT for so long. I agree with their vision and like where the company is going.

What other advice do I have?

This tool will help you be more proactive.

We use this solution for proactive monitoring of SaaS applications and remote sites. E.g., when the radio is not functioning, nGeniusPULSE will tell us that radio is not functioning. It allows us to go in and address an issue before a user even gets into the office.

The dependency mapping is great because it looks at the passive packet flow. You can pick and map it out through the NG1 server.

The single pane of glass view is good. There are so many different facets or layers to this stuff with a lot of prerequisites before you can get a single pane of glass view.

We do use the solution for unified communication application performance, but I don't have much experience with it.

AM
Network Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees

• "It helps us get to root cause quickly. With utilization and consumption of bandwidth, we can usually see what application is taking as much as they should (or shouldn't), then account for it accordingly."
  • "The real-time troubleshooting and application segregation that you can do within it."
  • "I would like to see an improved level of stitching between IPs."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for reactive application monitoring, not proactive yet.

We are working on deploying proactive monitoring of SaaS applications and remote sites.

The company has been using the product for years.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us the ability to show application teams more on their own applications rather than just telling them what we see and check. This is something that we can share with them.

This solution provides us with increased visibility while conducting IT deployments. If we are changing services, we usually like to enable the monitoring prior. We want to see how the changes and migration have taken effect, or if it's working as expected.

It helps us get to root cause quickly. With utilization and consumption of bandwidth, we can usually see what application is taking as much as they should (or shouldn't), then account for it accordingly.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an improved level of stitching between IPs.

It is pretty much stable.

It can be scalable. It just costs too much. With a company as big as ours, it gets too expensive to accommodate every single site.

The technical support is good. We have an SE onsite a couple days a week.

We used NETSCOUT for the deployment.

I have seen ROI in terms of time. This solution has cut our overall troubleshooting time.

This product could be cheaper.

I recently stacked the NETSCOUT product up against its competitors, and this one came on top.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a good application monitoring and packet analysis tool, you can strategically use NETSCOUT to get it done. Depending on how you do it, you can do it in a cost-efficient way. That is how we did it.

I haven't used the single pane of glass or the dependency mapping.

WB
Network Analyst at State of Montana
It's simple to use, easy to manage, and gives great information

• "It allows us to get quicker resolutions. We can see exactly what is using up the bandwidth, so we can assist end users."
  • "We use it for monitoring whenever we update a new circuit or site."
  • "Being able to manage the packet flow switches in nGeniusONE would be great."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor the network.

The State has been using the nGeniusONE solution for over 10 years.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to get quicker resolutions. We can see exactly what is using up the bandwidth, so we can assist end users.

We use it for monitoring whenever we update a new circuit or site.

It helps us determine the root cause. E.g., we can easily drill down, seeing exactly what is using up the network and tell the end users what it is.

We use the solution for unified communication application performance. It helps us with our uptime and user experience. It gives us the ability to check call signals to see exactly where the issue might be occurring, depending on where InfiniStreamNGs are placed.

What is most valuable?

I like the single pane of glass view. It is nice to be able to go to one location to get everything.

It's simple to use, easy to manage, and gives great information.

Other good features:

• Being able to do the deep dive packets.
  • It shows application times.
  • Network bandwidth utilization.

What needs improvement?

Being able to manage the packet flow switches in nGeniusONE would be great.

We still need to get our engineering team more involved in the tool to help them understand how to use it a bit better.

I have been using this solution for two and a half years.

It is very stable.

The scalability is very nice. I'm excited to get into the vSTREAMs for the virtual appliances.

The technical support is great. Every time that we work with our sales engineer or attack problems, we get a resolution quickly.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward: Knowing where to place things and how to get the traffic sent over. Sales engineers are always available to assist, when needed.

We deployed it all on our own.

This solution has cut our overall troubleshooting time. Sometimes, it can go down to a few hours over what might have taken one to two days to fully troubleshoot an issue.

It has helped to increase our application uptime. We try to keep the five nines.

It helps with our time to troubleshoot issues. The less time that you take to troubleshoot an issue the quicker it will free up that person.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great tool, which works extremely well for what it does. If you can get it in and get it placed correctly in your network, it's one of the best tools that you can get.

I like the dependency mapping, but I haven't use it much. I would like to utilize it more.

We do more reactive monitoring.

FM
Network Engineer at a tech consulting company with 10,001+ employees
The single pane of glass feed still needs work, but the stability is rock solid

• "It is very rock solid. We hardly have any hardware issues."
  • "The single pane of glass feed still needs work."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for monitoring subscribers.

What is most valuable?

It provides you with your Internet traffic volume, like Facebook, and where your biggest source of volume is coming from.

What needs improvement?

The single pane of glass feed still needs work. I do feel for what we have that it's fine.

I would like them to simplify the interface when you go into nGeniousONE. When you look at your interfaces, they should combine them all, and instead of looking at an interface, have you look at events. Combine everything into one view.

It is very rock solid. We hardly have any hardware issues.

To capture more with the solution that we bought, you have to buy another InfiniStreamNG, and there are only four ports in the back.

I don't directly interface with the technical support. There is another group which does that in my company.

In my environment, any installation is complex. There was a lot of dotting the i's and crossing the t's. Also, getting the maintenance to do the work for the install required scheduling.

We deployed in-house.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is not great, but it is not bad. It is just a monitoring device. It is an okay tool, but it's not the end all, be all of all tools.

The engineers in our core use it a lot more than we do. They have seen a measurable decrease in MTTK and MTTR, plus a reduction in their troubleshooting time.

DS
Network Engineer at Applied Systems
An issue that used to take days is now fixed within minutes to an hour

• "The tool has the ability to look back within a month's data. It is very easy to navigate within the tool and troubleshoot the problem, compared to other solutions that we've used in the past."
  • "The ability to troubleshoot customers' connectivity has been very beneficial."
  • "We don't use the single pane of glass view, even though we own it."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for troubleshooting customers' connectivity.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution provide us with increased visibility when conducting an IT deployment. We are able to look back in our history of logs and see what is communicating to what resources. That is very helpful. It shows visuals of what is being connected and communicated.

The ability to troubleshoot customers' connectivity has been very beneficial.

What is most valuable?

The tool has the ability to look back within a month's data. It is very easy to navigate within the tool and troubleshoot the problem, compared to other solutions that we've used in the past.

This solution helps us get to root cause very quickly.

What needs improvement?

We don't use the single pane of glass view. It's something that we are looking into since we do own it. We just don't use it at this time.

The tool has been great. We have never had an issue with it. It has been running for many years.

It is a great, architecturally designed product and very scalable for our solutions.

The technical support is good. Every time that we reach out to NETSCOUT, they have responded quickly. The engineers are very well educated on what they need to do to help us.

An issue that used to take days is now fixed within minutes to an hour.

The solution has helped to increase your application/network uptime.

Reach out to NETSCOUT. They give great demos with good overviews on the product and how it works.

What other advice do I have?

I am overall pretty satisfied with the product. It helps with our troubleshooting needs.

We haven't got to the dependency mapping yet, which is in the nGeniousONE client, but we are looking forward to getting there.

ES
IT Network Engineer at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
We can show developers what's going on in the network to help them improve applications

• "I love the single pane of glass view. It makes it easier to not have to navigate everywhere. It allows more simplistic visibility, without having to go from tool to tool to tool, or from window to window to window."
  • "The NetFlow Collectors could handle more flows per minute."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for a lot of things. Application performance would be our primary use case.

We also use the solution for proactive monitoring of remote sites, as we have several remote sites across the country. We have probes in those sites that allow us to see the traffic on the local area network, and then send that back up to nG1 so that we can decipher it.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution provides us with increased visibility when doing an IT deployment. For example, if our application developers roll out a new application on the network and it's not performing well, we use the solution to help them diagnose and troubleshoot the problems.

In general, the solution has helped to increase application and network uptime, depending on what it's being used for. If we find a problem with application performance, we can show the developers exactly what's going on in the network and help them to improve their application so that it works better.

In addition, it has reduced our mean time to repair significantly with application issues and network issues. Everybody always points to the network and says that it's a network problem, and we can very easily decipher whether it is or if it's actually something wrong with the application.

We can get to root cause quickly. It affords us the opportunity to see things on the network that we would otherwise be blind to and helps us reduce that mean time to repair. That brings the customer back into service more quickly.

We use the solution for unified communication application performance and, while it doesn't help so much with uptime, it does help us with end-user experience.

The solution has also cut our overall troubleshooting time. It can take an hour's worth of troubleshooting and take it down to five minutes.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is the ease of use.

And I love the single pane of glass view. It makes it easier to not have to navigate everywhere. It allows more simplistic visibility, without having to go from tool to tool to tool, or from window to window to window.

The Dependency Mapping the solution provides is also great.

What needs improvement?

Regarding additional features, there is a competitor's product that has a feature that I wish NETSCOUT could employ. A company called Riverbed bought another company called OPNET, and OPNET had a technology that was fantastic in what it did and how it did it. One of the components of that OPNET product was called ACE, and if NETSCOUT could do something like that, it would be fantastic. That would give us the opportunity to look at what's called a Tier Pair Circle and see, in a more graphical way, what hosts are communicating with other hosts. That would be nice.

In terms of room for improvement, the NetFlow Collectors could handle more flows per minute.

The only other thing would be the packet flow switch being overrun, but that might be because we bought the wrong model packet flow switch. Instead of a 6000-series, we bought a 5000-series, so that very well could have been us. We didn't know exactly how much traffic was on the network until we put the tools in.

It seems rock solid. The only problems we've had are with some 6995s, which are really old and out of service and I had a couple of drives go bad. But they were replaced and everything's good. It seems solid.

So far, so good in terms of scalability. We're running into a couple of issues with the packet flow switch being overrun in part of our data center, but we're just sending it too much traffic. It's a matter of recalibrating things. It seems scalable.

So far, so good with technical support. We really haven't had to engage them very much. We have an SE and an RSE who help us out with any of the technical issues, but anytime I've had to call support they've been great.

We used Riverbed ARX, and we are still using it, but it's being phased out in favor of the NETSCOUT, because of the total package of availability. The product availability and features of NETSCOUT mean we don't have to go to a separate retailer like Gigamon for a packet flow switch solution. nG1 does a lot of things that other tools did, and we don't have to have disparate vendors and resellers.

The initial setup is relatively straightforward. There are some nuances that you need to know, but it's relatively intuitive.

We did the deployment ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

Try to find a better product, because I don't think you will.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten, at least. I just don't see very many flaws in it. It really works well. It does what it advertises that it does. It does more than a lot of people think that it does. It's been a good investment for our company. We've really gotten our money's worth out of it.