NETSCOUT nGeniusONE Overview
What is NETSCOUT nGeniusONE?The nGenius Real-Time Monitor software provides you with tools to monitor and display information about your network both historically and in real time. The nGenius Real-Time Monitor software allows you to understand your current network usage and to plan for future needs. It also allows you to proactively troubleshoot problem areas in your network.
NETSCOUT nGeniusONE is also known as NETSCOUT nGenius, nGeniusONE.
NETSCOUT nGeniusONE Buyer's Guide
Download the NETSCOUT nGeniusONE Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021
NETSCOUT nGeniusONE CustomersCerner Corporation
NETSCOUT nGeniusONE Video
Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- Review Length
Showingreviews based on the current filters.
Data Communications Engineering Manager at a government with 10,001+ employees
Dec 23, 2018
Enables deep packet inspection at a 10-gig level while TAPs allow our security team to look for risks
What is our primary use case?One use case that we purchased it for is deep packet inspection at a 10-gig level. Prior to that, we only had deep packet inspection up to one gig. We are utilizing the tool right now for deep packet inspection, and for everyday dashboard monitoring to show our customers what their current traffic is, how their everyday business needs are consuming their traffic, and what kind of traffic is specifically on their network. Also, the nGeniusONE is providing TAPs for all of our core traffic and is sending it to our security team for them to sort through and look for security risks. That is… more »
Pros and Cons
- "Deep packet inspection is probably the strongest feature."
- "There are so many pieces of their product that integrate with one another that perhaps a recommendation for improvement would be some sort of bigger overview and map to help understand how all their pieces integrate together."
What other advice do I have?The advice I would like to have if I was implementing it for the first time is to have a good understanding of what you're trying to accomplish; not for one single thing, but for all the things that you would like to accomplish. Then, plan and design your NETSCOUT purchase accordingly so you're not just doing one piece here and one piece there and then trying to figure out the integration later. In hindsight, NETSCOUT engineers have been really good at helping us put those pieces together, but it would have been helpful to spin it all up at the same time and to have had it strategically set up…
Network Operations Engineer at a government with 10,001+ employees
Real UserTop 20
Dec 6, 2018
Cuts down on troubleshooting time and response time to actual issues within our network
What is our primary use case?Our primary use for nGeniusONE is packet inspection.
Pros and Cons
- "Aside from having the logs that are just on the firewall, we're able to get the traffic as it's going in between, throughout our network. It isolates end sources that are having issues, where we don't have any other tools that would be able to go down to an end-user's computer to find out what's going on."
- "It catches bigger issues on a weekly basis. That's how often we find something big enough that the only reason we know about it is because of the nGeniusONE. The bigger issues are mostly security-type issues: Odd traffic leaving our network or coming into it, that has found its way past a firewall."
- "I'd like to see the nGeniusONE, the nGeniusPULSE, and the OptiView, their three separate products, work a little better together, a little more streamlined."
- "Another thing that would help out is if they packaged the NetFlow monitor into nGeniusONE. Their NetFlow monitor works with nGeniusONE where you can actually get the netflow of pretty much anything you hook it up to. But it's a separate box that you have to buy. If there was a way that could package that into nGeniusONE, it would be a complete package straight out of the box."
What other advice do I have?If you're looking to implement it or to purchase, once you actually see the usability of it I think the decision will already be made. If you're looking at other similar options, I would definitely advise looking into NETSCOUT and the nGeniusONE, along with all the other NETSCOUT products; at least the ones we've used, the OptiView and the nGeniusPULSE. I really feel that anybody who has contacted NETSCOUT to look into purchasing it, and has seen demos and proofs of concept on their own networks, for the most part, will end up purchasing it, regardless of what anyone says. They'll be able to…
Learn what your peers think about NETSCOUT nGeniusONE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
476,892 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Director of Enterprise IT Operations at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 11, 2018
Better view of communications path between servers reduces troubleshooting time, but GUI needs improvement
What is our primary use case?Our primary use case is troubleshooting. We use it to go take a look at application flows, to understand, when we have an issue, if there's some sort of latency or if there's a communication problem or if we're getting some abnormal behavior. Our first troubleshooting step, anytime we have an issue, is source and destination IPs and run a capture. It's the first tool that always gets called in when we're trying to troubleshoot an issue.
Pros and Cons
- "The biggest benefit is the ability to do low-level packet inspection. When I say packet inspection, I don't mean looking at payload, but just looking at your communication handshakes and the like. It reduces troubleshooting time because you can get a much better view into the communications path between servers, database servers, web servers, and understand what's going on."
- "The GUI has gotten better over time but there could be some improvement in how the GUI is built."
What other advice do I have?We have a pre-sales engineer whom we engage with on a regular basis. That has been extremely helpful, having somebody who is not just tech support but who is very familiar with the product and can provide some training. The product requires some knowledge on how to use it. You really need to be a more frequent user. That's probably part of our downfall as an organization: We don't have people using it enough to help build dashboards and application monitors. We use it in a reactive manner and I think there's more opportunity to be proactive in how you build application monitors within nGenius…
Global Telecom Operations Director at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
Oct 17, 2018
Enables us to be more proactive regarding bandwidth, but it is not simple to deploy, operate, or maintain
What is our primary use case?The main application that we use is NetFlow: all the NetFlow traffic, monitoring, bandwidth utilization, top-talkers, etc.
Pros and Cons
- "We are using nGeniusONE to run our bandwidth capacity management reports. In the past, we used to be very reactive, we used to depend a lot on suppliers to tell us which sites are our hot sites, meaning, which have high bandwidth utilization. Now we do this in a much more proactive way and we are moving to a more predictive approach in that aspect, thanks to nGeniusONE."
- "The ability to be able to do detailed traffic analysis such as top-talkers, application-specific monitoring, and understanding them through patterns, is helpful. We're also able to gain an understanding of voice calls, voice traffic, whether we have packet loss in a certain part of the network or jitter or high latency that might be impacting the network. All of those are nice functionalities."
- "It's not intuitive, it's not simple to use. It is probably the only monitoring tool, out of all the ones that I have, that I really need an expert on, an expert from nGenius, a contractor that I have to pay, to manage the tool. And that's because it's simply not easy to use. Netscout needs to focus on making it easier to use."
- "There are so many features that it makes it hard to know it all. You end up paying for things that you don't use and probably don't even need. It might be better if Netscout came up with a modular way to pay for what you're going to use and not pay for all of this "white elephant" without being able to take advantage of all of it."
Network Design and Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Oct 17, 2018
Packet capture, NetFlow collection, and the real-time communication monitoring are key
What is our primary use case?This is our traffic analyzer replacement. We use it to provide some functionality for our operations to do live captures so they can manage instant management.
Pros and Cons
- "This is a typical thing, but every time they do a major code upgrade, we get hit with some nasty bugs. Some of them literally stop the whole platform from collecting traffic data. They should really do more Q&A on the software stability before release."
What other advice do I have?You need to spend some time to make the system to fit into your environment. Once you get it there, it works pretty well. I give it a nine out of ten. It's only to the point that we still need to do some feature requests for things we want to do. The toolset was there but, initially, it wasn't GUI-based, so it took some time for them to implement that.
Technology Support Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Apr 26, 2016
It's easy to detect the unwanted traffic, but it needs to be more user-friendly.
What is most valuable?Reporting Analyzing Troubleshooting Evidence gathering
How has it helped my organization?It's easy to detect unwanted traffic with all the detection tools available.
What needs improvement?It needs a better GUI, and especially it needs to be more user-friendly.
For how long have I used the solution?We've used if for four years, five months.
What was my experience with deployment of the solution?We had issues with capacity planning.
How are customer service and technical support?7/10 because they have limited numbers of engineers who can handle the ticket created.
Which solution did I use previously and why did I switch?We previously used SolarWinds Netflow Traffic Analyzer, and switched because Netscout is more granular.
Product CategoriesNetwork Monitoring Software
Download our free NETSCOUT nGeniusONE Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
- What is the best network monitoring software for large enterprises?
- Anyone switching from SolarWinds NPM? What is a good alternative?
- What is the best tool for SQL monitoring in a large enterprise?
- What tool do you recommend using for VoIP monitoring for a mid-sized enterprise?
- How important is it to monitor your wifi environment?
- Why is it important to monitor traffic on your network?
- What open source tool can one use to measure bandwidth from one's upstream service provider?
- What SolarWinds NPM alternatives do you recommend?
NETSCOUT White Papers
New Digital Architectures Require An Innovative Approach