Netsurion EventTracker OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Netsurion EventTracker is #8 ranked solution in top Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) tools and #10 ranked solution in Log Management Software. IT Central Station users give Netsurion EventTracker an average rating of 10 out of 10. Netsurion EventTracker is most commonly compared to Splunk:Netsurion EventTracker vs Splunk. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 32% of all views.
What is Netsurion EventTracker?

EventTracker by Netsurion is a co-managed security solution that delivers actionable security intelligence that empowers organizations of any size to effectively detect and respond to insider threats as well as advanced cyber criminals.

Netsurion EventTracker defends your organization against advanced threats and streamlines IT compliance management by converging multiple layers of security technology such as SIEM, EDR, UEBA, IDS, and more. Most importantly, we augment the technology with our 24/7 SOC for continual monitoring, threat remediation, and system tuning. With EventTracker, you can orchestrate all the critical capabilities needed to predict, prevent, detect, and respond to cybersecurity incidents. We monitor for anomalies and suspicious network activities and respond with built-in response rules to block or terminate harmful activities.

Netsurion strengthens your security defenses, controls costs, and optimizes your team’s capabilities to respond quickly with a single end-to-end solution. We increase your efficiency and effectiveness by reducing false positives and enabling audit-ready compliance reports. Netsurion provides a comprehensive, scalable platform for security monitoring, threat detection and response, and compliance – as a software solution, in the cloud and on-premises, or as a co-managed solution that augments your IT team.

Netsurion EventTracker was previously known as EventTracker SIEMphonic, EventTracker Essentials, EventTracker Log Management, EventTracker Security Center .

Netsurion EventTracker Buyer's Guide

Download the Netsurion EventTracker Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Netsurion EventTracker Customers

The Salvation Army, The FRESH Market, Pacific Western Bank, NASA, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), and Talbot’s Stores

Netsurion EventTracker Video

Archived Netsurion EventTracker Reviews (more than two years old)

RT
Network Manager at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
I no longer have to constantly monitor equipment or logs; I get heads-up notifications immediately

• "I really appreciate the fact that the dashboard breaks everything down into a pretty easy view for me... It shows what changes are happening to privileged user accounts, access and identity, what's cropping up. It shows application activity and whether we've got system resources that aren't online and being found anymore. It's a pretty simple, easy, quick hit and there are the supporting logs behind it. If I need to drill down further, I can do that quickly. It's very effective."
  • "Probably the biggest thing is just: Can I search for this and what's the best way to do it? If I'm looking for two events versus a singular event, I just throw it back at them. They're the experts on it."

What is our primary use case?

We were struggling at the event level, like a lot of people do, in terms of centralized event management and notifications. We just did not have a single pane of glass where we could see events, potential issues, all on a fine thread of a timeline to compare across our enterprise. We needed to know: Is there anything else going on at the same time?

We use it extensively. Every product that we have on our network is tied into it. That's been huge for us. The thought process was, "If we're going to put it in place, we want every end-point out there to be cycling through logs or have syslogs pulled into EventTracker. Otherwise, it just didn't make sense. We wanted to have eyes on every device out there.

How has it helped my organization?

It's come in tremendously handy. We've had small incidents crop up that we've been able to isolate immediately or dig further into because of this. Without that "full-glass" look at everything we've got going on in our environment at a particular time, we would be chasing our tail a little bit: "What's happening here? Do I need to go look here? Do I need to go look there?" The ability to pull those logs in from not only all of our desktops, all of our servers, all of our appliances, but from anything else that could be logging an event, has been tremendous for us.

It has limited the time that I've had to spend combing through any device and syslogs. For example, firewalls: I'd be looking through events to try to find out if anything looks abnormal. EventTracker not only does centralized tracking, but it does a fair amount of behavioral analysis as well. It tells us: "Hey, here are events we haven't seen before." It even calls to my attention processes that are new, including unsigned processes that we need to be aware of in our environment. We also utilize their Snort plugin on the front-end. It indicates traffic that's coming in that we might want to be aware of.

We tend to start blacklisting and block-listing a tremendous amount of external IPs based upon things that the solution sees on the outside. Those could just be events hitting our firewall, but unless I'm sitting there watching my firewall on a continuous basis, I'm probably going to miss a lot of them. EventTracker is collecting that and pulling it all into a quick and easy notification. On a daily basis, I get that report to rehash: "Did you see these things? Are these acceptable? Here's behavior that we haven't seen before from this particular user." It makes me aware of things so that I can validate. It gives me a good check and balance on what we have going on in the environment and what they're seeing through a collection of event logs.

Because we've been using it for so long in our environment, I've pushed my daily duties onto other things. I've moved into other areas since I don't have to constantly monitor this equipment or the logs or check back on things. It's probably cut down 50 percent of my workload, in terms of tracking and watching and trying to play a little bit of triage after the fact. It's giving me heads-up notifications immediately. Then, as we hash back through things, either on a daily or monthly basis, we're looking at what it's finding and what we are missing. Are there things that are still cropping up that haven't been taken care of that maybe slipped through the cracks? It's not only cut down a ton of my time but even our staff time which used to be spent watching and maintaining logs on various products.

What is most valuable?

The solution is on-prem and we also utilize them for fairly full, managed services. They do tend to babysit it quite a bit. We get daily reports that they piece together for us which walk through everything that they're finding and seeing. And we sit together in a monthly service call to walk through what they found over the course of the month, just to compare notes. We backtrack and check to make sure that nothing stood out and that we didn't miss anything or to hear if they've got any concerns or questions. They're putting in the time on a daily basis for us on that.

Another valuable feature is that we've tied it into pretty much everything that we have. We've got it tied into our Office 365 and it's helping us monitor even the spam garbage there, the consistencies or the abnormalities on the spam. We've got it tied into our firewalls and into just about every appliance we have as a front-line or an in-between, including VPN and the authentication that is coming through there. It's also tied into anything that's cloud-based. We might tie into IIS logs, our antivirus logs. It's huge that it gives us that single dashboard overview of events happening, all at one time. It's been, tremendous for us.

I really appreciate the fact that the dashboard breaks everything down into a pretty easy view for me. I can pass it along, not only my boss, but to senior management, if needed. I can show them what activity is being monitored, what types of incidents there are and the type of risk, if there is one. It shows what changes are happening to privileged user accounts, access and identity, what's cropping up. It shows application activity and whether we've got system resources that aren't online and being found anymore. It's a pretty simple, easy, quick hit and there are the supporting logs behind it. If I need to drill down further, I can do that quickly. It's very effective.

I just want to know what's going on on the end-points. If anything gets flagged, if anything's out of order, chances are pretty good we're going to get it flagged on a couple of systems, whether it's a desktop for a firewall or an outbound request. It might get flagged on our AV, but at least I'm seeing it across all of those systems at a given time. So I really appreciate having that single location to look for any event that might be something which warrants a little bit more work.

I don't play around too much with the dashboard widgets, the stuff that's built-in. I get a daily report and, based on that, if I need to, I'll dig into it. So I don't customize things too much. I go back through things on a monthly basis as well. The dashboard is an easy enough layout and I've gotten used to using it or digging down deeper so I don't really change much in there.

In terms of log importing, I've never really had any problems with it. Everything that's a syslog is a pretty easy tie-in and pull-through. Anything else that's agent-based, like a desktop, we've had very few problems with. Microsoft's Direct Access, their direct-access, always-on VPN product was a little bit of a tough one that we had to work through to get those to pull across. But overall, the agents seem to be pretty stable, pretty efficient. They're pulling through everything that we need at this point. Anytime we've pulled in, whether it's an antivirus product - we've gone through a couple of them - various appliances, even Office 365, it has been very well-versed on all the major brands out there. If we want to pull those in or pull in the syslogs or pull in those events, we've never had an issue.

What needs improvement?

They haven't had to fixed much, but we have come back to them with requests for very specialized reporting. Something that's not canned. We might be looking at a particular functional area where we want to track specific data or specific login times. If I were to put in the time it be easy to do or it might take me a little while. But these guys can roll it back to me so quickly that I don't think twice about throwing them at them and asking for a report or a particular search. Probably the biggest thing is just: Can I search for this and what's the best way to do it? If I'm looking for two events versus a singular event, I just throw it back at them. They're the experts on it.

Right now I simply can't think of anything that we're lacking. I don't have much to throw back at them at this point.

That could change as everybody's continuing to move towards a cloud product or with the cloud products themselves, all the services which we're slowly moving toward on the cloud. We're an Office 365 tenant right now, but I can see that over the next three to five years that's going to continue to increase. I'm excited to see how they can continue to structure their product to help us take advantage of the viewing, the monitoring, and the tracking of those products. Until we get to that point, I just don't know whether they've got everything we need, or if there will be things we will need to ask for that we simply didn't require in the past.

We have had EventTracker in-house now for a good five years.

The stability has been very good.

The only time we might have had downtime was based on our requirements where we were moving to new hardware. That doesn't happen much now because we're virtualized. But we tend to archive a lot of the data so we've moved that backend data store a couple of times. They'll either walk us through it, or they'll just take care of it if we don't have time for it.

In fact, later this afternoon we're doing exactly that. We're moving off of an older SAN to a newer SAN. We'll disconnect the old SAN, validate that all the data is flowing the way it should be in the searches and that the search capability against the archive database is still valid. Overall, it's really pretty simple.

We're small. I'm assuming that the scalability would be no problem given all the other feature sets. When we've brought things on board, we've never had an issue. I don't know how large this scales or of any limitations to it. The backend data might be just what you have available. I've never been too concerned with it because we don't scale up really large. We're pretty stable as far as the number of devices goes, internally for us. I don't see that really changing much.

Most of the devices or products that we've talked to folks out there about have syslogs of some sort that we can point back. That's what we plan to do. I don't even know where that's going to go at this point, but I know that as we move into the cloud space, but I want to continue to tie that into EventTracker. I want to make sure I've got eyes on everything that we're communicating with.

The support group is tremendous about asking me if there is anything else I want, is there anything more they can do and, and I'm left a little bit speechless. I've asked for various reports or can we have something else tracked individually. That's usually a pretty quick turnaround. Their support has been very good. We've got a great relationship. They do a great job of checking back to make sure there's nothing we're missing.

I'll email their main group. I have some individual contacts and I'll reach out to them occasionally, if I need to. Typically, I try and go through their main security operations center. I get the daily email from them, and that's who I would reply back to.

If I've got a request, for example, if we're shuffling around some backend databases, something we've got to move off of a backend SAN to a new SAN, I'll just reach out to them. "Hey, we're looking to do this." Response time from them is pretty quick. We have had emails back and forth within 15 to 20 minutes.

They're very easy to get ahold of. Their security center might be maybe in a different time zone, but I've never had a problem, here in the Central Standard Time zone. Anytime I've reached out to them, I've always gotten a response pretty quickly.

We did not have a previous SIEM. That was a very big push for us. We realized how little we had in the way of eyes on all of our products, unless we did a manual, individual triage. And even then, it was pretty limited. We knew we had a huge blind spot by not putting in a SIEM. It's been phenomenal for some of the small incidents that we've had crop up. It's been fantastic.

The setup was actually quite easy as are the upgrades and the patches that we go through. The initial setup was a pretty simple walkthrough on their part. We bundled that in as part of the product when we purchased it. The agreement was that they'd do the setup themselves but we wanted a walkthrough as well so that we had some knowledge here. We didn't want them to just set it up and do a hand-over-the-keys deal. So we stepped through it together, which really means I did a lot of watching as they were doing a lot of the setup.

We walked through it through a WebEx. I had the server side set up on our side. At that point it was just a matter of them leading: "We're going to go here. Where's your data storage? Tie that in, install."

Out-of-the-box it was pretty straightforward and easy to use. We started pulling in all the clients as we pushed out the agents to the desktops; that was pretty easy. It was non-intrusive to our users, which is a big deal. We didn't want it to intrude on anybody. In fact, when we push out agent updates to desktops - it doesn't happen that often, maybe once or twice a year - those agent updates are seamless. Nobody's aware that that has even taken place.

If you want to do it, they'll certainly help you through it. If you want them to do it, they'll allow you to just watch what their process is in case you want to do it the next time.

Our company has about 225 end-users. We obviously have more devices than that, but not more than about double that. In terms of deployment, it was just me involved from our side.

We had things up and running within half a day, when we started doing a little bit of discovery and collecting. After a couple of days of letting it run through the system and doing discovery we found, "Those are the pieces that we've missed. Yeah, we're going to add this or that in." Now, we tend to roll through one-third or one-fourth of our desktops on an annual basis. We'll do the discovery - the agent installs pull those in. It requires very limited staff time on our part. Our helpdesk now installs the agent as they roll out a desktop, which is pretty easy. We pull it in, I validate. There's not a lot to it.

It has its value, especially when I can say that it's taken over what I was spending about 50 percent of my time on. Not only has it eliminated the need for me to spend time there, but I can put that time to use elsewhere. It's absolutely well worth it.

I'm not really the money guy or the budget guy, so I couldn't tell you from a dollars and cents standpoint, but return on investment just for my time alone over the last five years has been tremendous. I no longer spend that daily time - I don't want to say "wasted time" - but it used to take me a tremendous amount of time to sit there and try and play catch up on logs, looking for events and trying to track things on my own. That's been massive. That's been tremendous, not only for me but for the company. It's been well worth the money so I can put my time somewhere else.

I don't know if the pricing is by the seat but we're paying about $20,000 to 25,000 a year. On top of that, we pay for the managed support services. That runs us about another $35,000 or $40,000 a year.

At the time, EventTracker was one of the few that did a bit of that behavioral analysis. There was another one, the name escapes me right now. But it was the only other product that I felt was in the same quadrant, as far as feature sets and the behavioral analysis go. We did not evaluate very many.

What other advice do I have?

They are a fantastic team. I would stack them up against anybody. If anybody asks us what we're using for a SIEM, I'd say that this is what we're using. I highly recommend them.

Stack it up against some of the other products out there. At the very least, know what you're looking for. Or, if you don't, throw it back at EventTracker and say, "We're looking to do this, can your product do it?" Let them know what you're looking to gain from this.

We started out in the same boat: "Well, why would we use you guys versus somebody else?" We had a defined requirement, that we wanted to have centralized event and incident management, and that's exactly what we got.

You need to find out if it's going to match all of the various appliances and the OS you have. Is it going to be able to pull in the syslogs? What type of products do you have in your environment? Are you pulling in Cisco devices? Whatever your firewalls are, make sure that they're matching up. I had no doubt in my mind that they were going to match up to everything in our environment, right upfront, as we gave them the list and we did that self-discovery. I think that's part of it was the workbook process. What are your devices? How many are there? What are you using for mail? What are you using for backend storage? What do you have for databases? What are the products on your network? Make sure it matches up.

I have no doubt that they'll match up well with everything out there but make sure that whatever is on your network that you want to monitor, that those specific vendors and those devices match what they can track and log events against.

Every month, when we do an assessment they ask what more they can do. Until something crops up that leaves us a little bit blind or unsure, I really don't know what they're not giving us at this point. We haven't started looking at any other products to fill any gap. I don't have a laundry list of anything I'm waiting for them to come back with, whether it's a fix or a feature.

I'll do a lot of event searches myself, more out of curiosity than anything. I might chase something down if we get a flag or notification and look for what else is taking place around that event, to get a clear picture of why it was flagged. Was this something that we brought into the environment? Were we installing something at the same time that something was flagged? What was going on? So I tend to go into the event searches a lot and the managed devices, looking for non-reportings. Those are probably my two biggest hits.

When it went from version 8 to 9, the UI changed up a little bit, so it took a little bit of getting used to. They did provide not only some on-call support to walk through things as I was asking them questions: "Nope, that's here," or, "Give this a try." They also had some pretty easy tutorials to walk through. I've done that a couple of times just to refresh myself as far as where things are. But, like I said, because we tend to lean on them for a lot of the managed side, I don't dig into it as much as I used to when we first got started with it. It's been huge just to have them a phone call away or at arm's length to say, "Can you guys take a look at this, or do this, or verify this for me?"

Typically it's just on my desktop at work. If I'm taking a look at the dashboard, I might pull up user devices - what's not reporting in. That's a biggie for us, especially as we roll out new devices and we're getting agents out on those devices. I want to make sure that they're being pulled in correctly and that I'm seeing logs. I may take a look through some of the threats, but again, their support does such a great job of combing through all the threats and kicking out any notifications to me that I don't spend a lot of time in there.

In terms of integrating it, we haven't tied EventTracker back into anybody else. At this stage, we're tying everybody into EventTracker. As we start to move into more of the cloud space, there may be some of those cloud-authority services that this may tie into. We haven't gotten to that point yet.

The biggest lesson I've learned from using it is that I think we'd take a huge step backward if we ended up losing EventTracker; whether it's EventTracker or a SIEM product of that caliber. We're part of critical infrastructure and the threats against that infrastructure have increased a tremendous amount over the last five to seven years, whether it's on the network side or the OT side.

Having the eyes and ears to be able to manage and monitor those types of events against us, in our industry, is massive. Being under a constant threat, like everybody else out there, we want to know what we have, what's in our system; we want to know where the abnormalities are. We want to see the events on a daily basis. You have to track them. You have to be proactive. You have to take some action on those things on a daily basis. Having this in place gives us the ability to see what's going on, on a daily basis, on all of our systems across the enterprise. That's massive to me.

I would absolutely rate EventTracker a ten out of ten. I love it.

ML
Assistant LAN Administrator at a non-profit with 10,001+ employees
Notifies us about disk space as well as event log errors we need to look at

• "The most valuable feature is that we get the events: the alerts about disk space and the security reports that we get once a day, including user lockouts and the like."
  • "I would like to see the dashboard come up more quickly."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for Windows event logs, disk space, and other alerts.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us a heads-up about the disk space and any errors in any event logs that we have to look at. There are times where that saves us time.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that we get the events: the alerts about disk space and the security reports that we get once a day, including user lockouts and the like. The reports are fine the way they are.

The dashboard is also fine. We haven't configured the dashboard widgets; we just basically go with the default that was there. The dashboard helps by organizing things for us.

Overall, the UI is very helpful. It's user-friendly and relatively intuitive.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the dashboard come up more quickly.

I've been using EventTracker ( /products/eventtracker-reviews ) for about ten years.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, it's very straightforward.

Learn what your peers think about Netsurion EventTracker. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AW
Consulting Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
We can search all event logs and domain controller security events

• "The product satisfies our compliance, and thus, all of our auditors. All of the data that we use and store for all security events is required by our auditors to be kept in a central storage location."
  • "If we need to do a search for user lockouts, we can go, search, and find locations where they have been locked out, then keep track of those events, historically."
  • "The biggest problem is that we have too many domain controllers. So, we have to keep all the clients and main system updated with the latest versions along with making sure all the firewalls are open."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for audit compliance. Because when we have audits, we are required have a central event log storage location. If we need to do a search for user lockouts, we can go, search, and find locations where they have been locked out, then keep track of those events, historically.

How has it helped my organization?

It was purchased so we would be in compliance. That is our main reason, and it works very well.

The product satisfies our compliance, and thus, all of our auditors. All of the data that we use and store for all security events is required by our auditors to be kept in a central storage location.

EventTracker provides a great place to do our searches for certain types of events. We can go there, run the search engine, and it runs extremely fast, especially compared to the version that we previously used. E.g., instead of connecting to each individual domain controller to search events, we can go to one location.

What is most valuable?

We can search all event logs and domain controller security events.

The dashboard is laid out very well. I handle all the group policy compliance settings, and I get to play the bad guy who locks everybody down.

The UI is fairly good. I have a laptop that I use to connect remotely. I use the simple console, which is sitting at work, and connect to it directly.

What needs improvement?

The biggest problem is that we have too many domain controllers. So, we have to keep all the clients and main system updated with the latest versions along with making sure all the firewalls are open.

More than five years.

It is very stable. The product has been very smooth to work with recently. I am extremely happy with the way that it is right now.

We have had issues with it in the older versions (7.2). Because of our number of events that we generate, it used to stall and take a long time to do searches. Once we upgraded to 8.2, it pretty much resolved those issues. It was around 2015 when we upgraded.

I have not seen any issues with it scaling.

We have close to 40 users in our organization: security administration, help desk, and sysadmins.

Usually whenever we call the technical support, it's a big issue. I've not had any problems with them. They have been very responsive.

For the compliance, this is probably one of the first product that we got for our Windows side.

EventTracker has increased the productivity in our organization.

The upfront costs have increased, and we have been locked into this contract. The cost of changing over from it is way too high.

Going forward, we have to get more licenses for our domain controllers.

We are always evaluating new tools. We decided on Netsurion because of its UI and ease of use. My team agrees that the solution is reliable and easy to use.

What other advice do I have?

Get the preferred support. This is for the guy who uses and maintains the back-end of the system. Because if you don't have your firewall configurations configured correctly, you will need to have that support.

All of our domain controller event logs are consolidated and stored on the server. Right now, we are sitting at 101 domain controllers, which is way too many. However, this was one of the main reasons why we purchased it, and it is performing well. The product version that we are on right now is much faster than the version that we were previously on.

Geremy Farmer
Information Technology Coordinator at Magnolia Bank, Incorporated
Gives us a picture of our network environment, including VPN access and real-time alerts

• "The network alert is the most valuable feature. That way, we in the IT department are aware of user lockout and invalid password attempts way before a user ever even calls in."
  • "There are some issues with searches taking a long period of time, but they assured me that they have implemented a new search function that's available in version 9, but which requires a solid-state hard drive... Depending on how many logs you have it could take a long time to return the results if you're looking back prior to the last 30 days."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor our firewall logs for all of our locations, all of our network logs, and alerts. We also monitor any new users added to the network or who are locked out, any new installs or uninstalls of applications on servers. And we have reports generated for any types of processes or hashes that have been run on computers or servers.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us a real idea of our network environment, VPN access, alerts and more. We are able to identify where we're getting scanned externally from potentially malicious IP addresses. We can react to those a lot quicker than we could previously.

EventTracker has increased productivity and saved us time, absolutely. We would have to hire a full-time person to review logs if we didn't have EventTracker. I get daily and weekly reports that I review within an hour or two, each day, versus having to go look at logs on each machine. It would take me three or four times as long to review all those logs if they weren't all in the same dashboard report or alert.

What is most valuable?

The network alert is the most valuable feature. That way, we in the IT department are aware of user lockout and invalid password attempts way before a user ever even calls in. We can resolve the issue a whole lot quicker than waiting for the user to call us and figure out that they're locked out of the network or need some assistance with their password or the like.

The system's UI is pretty good, intuitive, and user-friendly.

EventTracker SIEMphonic has been a good add-on piece because doing all the logs can be time-consuming. Having a nice, weekly summary report, and the supplemental logs with them, in the event that you need to dive in any further, is helpful. Having somebody else reviewing those logs as well, on their team, is very helpful and beneficial to us.

What needs improvement?

There are some issues with searches taking a long period of time, but they assured me that they have implemented a new search function that's available in version 9, but which requires a solid-state hard drive. So we have upgraded to the solid state hard drive, but we are waiting for them to migrate over to the new drive, and then we'll see if our search results improve. Depending on how many logs you have it could take a long time to return the results if you're looking back prior to the last 30 days for, say, auditing purposes.

In other areas, it meets or exceeds our expectations.

It's really stable. It's pretty low-maintenance, once you get it set up, as long as the server that it's hosted on is up. We haven't really had any issues with a system problem with EventTracker since we implemented it.

It's definitely scalable. You can get all the way down to endpoints. They support multiple devices, applications, different firewalls, desktop, laptop. You have the ability to add in those logs. We have chosen not to do that at this time because we're mainly concerned about our servers and our domain, and it captures a lot of those logs. We have some offices that don't have a domain. For them, we just get their firewall logs because we are not too concerned about their individual workstation logs.

They are very responsive. They're monitoring stuff as well, with that SIEMphonic piece. They're monitoring your logs and if there's anything you have deemed critical, they're making you aware of it, to make sure that you're aware of it. They do a really good job of following up and trying to do as much as they can to assist you in any way possible.

We did not have a previous solution. They had already purchased this product before I came into the organization. There are a couple systems out there where people have reached out to me throughout the years and said, "Will you do a demo or evaluate our system?" But in my opinion, there's nothing that really stands out that would make me want to leave EventTracker.

Even cost-wise, if somebody is cheaper - and I don't believe that they are - it's not significant enough to make that change and go through that whole design and implementation process again, just to save a little bit of money. We are familiar with EventTracker and we're getting the good service that we expect. We really don't have any desire to go with any other vendor at this time.

The initial setup is complex. It really depends on what alerts and reports you're looking at and what you want to filter it down to. It really depends on how much data you're looking at capturing and how to get that configured, working with their team on getting that configured for you. It was a long process from start to finish.

Now that it's in place, there are hardly ever any issues or any hiccups with it. But the initial setup can be a little time-consuming. You have to make sure you have adequate time if you're going to implement SIEM or an event-log correlation system.

Our deployment took a good 60 to 90 days from start to finish, working through all the reports and filtering it down to what we wanted. That included our firewall logs and deploying it on all the machines.

We really didn't have an implementation strategy at that point. We were just trying to get it implemented as quickly as possible on our domain server. Then we expanded it to all of our servers inside our network and then all of our firewalls.

They provided assistance and they do with that SIEMphonic piece. We purchased training from them and then worked with them directly on what we wanted configured and how to configure it. They did most of the heavy lifting of actually configuring the reports and all the alerts. If you want filtering you can ask them, or you have the ability to go in there yourself. I personally don't have a lot of time and resources to do that, so using their staff and the resources has been very beneficial.

Overall, they are very professional and good to work with. Some of their trainers were difficult to understand, as there was a language barrier. Some other staff from outside of the US, some of their training people, the technicians who provided training, were very difficult to understand. Others were not hard to understand. It was a case-by-case issue. But we did have some issues with trying to understand them during the training. We expressed our concerns and, of course, they addressed that. It was a process we worked through.

We have absolutely seen a return on our investment in EventTracker.

The solution is fairly expensive, but in my experience, all of the SIEM applications that I've evaluated or looked at cost about the same. It's just what a system like that costs.

I've looked at AlienVault. That's the only one that I can recall looking at extensively. But cost-wise it really wasn't worth it to us to switch to that system. It might have had a few more features, but EventTracker has done really well on constantly adding features and changing their UI and adding dashboards and getting more data on there that you want. I have no reason to make a switch.

What other advice do I have?

If it's your first SIEM event-correlation system, be prepared for a long process. That's not just because it's EventTracker. That seems like that's what that process takes. Again, it really depends on what data you want to capture and how much data you want to capture and how you want to review that data. That configuration process can be very time-consuming.

We're on EventTracker 8, but we're getting ready to upgrade to the most recent version of nine, but we have not upgraded yet.

I don't typically use the dashboard widgets. I have everything configured in daily, weekly, and monthly reports. We have real-time alerts configured as well. So I'm not really utilizing the dashboard widgets. I know it has a lot of features and options but I manage the system from the reports and real-time alerts. In terms of the screens we use to view the solution, we mostly use the Excel reports that are generated daily and weekly. I access them, as well as the real-time alerts, from all devices. You can view them and see the details from any type of device. But I'm looking at the alerts through my email client on whatever device I'm on.

We have logs coming from our firewall configured to auto import log data, but we are not manually importing any log data.

Currently there are only two users in EventTracker: myself, as the information security officer and another gentleman here at the bank who is the backup information security officer. He functions more as a backup, but he's never had to step into that role and use the system. He received the training, but I handle the whole system. I'm the only one deploying and maintaining the system.

We have internal staff resources for internal incident management but we do not use the EventTracker SOC team. We handle the incidents internally, leveraging the reports and alerts.

We don't have any plans to increase usage, unless we add one or two offices as we do naturally in our mortgage division.

The difficulty with the language barrier at times with their training and technical support staff is a problem. That's why I'd rate it an eight out of ten.

Sean Sheil
Information Technology - Business Process Analyst at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Enables us to track account creation and deletion and the number of errors in a given system

• "The most important feature is keeping track of when accounts are created and deleted, when permission groups are changed, and memberships are changed in groups; and overall, how many errors are occurring on the various systems that we're monitoring."
  • "I'd like to see improvement in the ease of generating reports. It seems fairly cumbersome whenever you decide to start tracking new categories of events. It seems a little kludgy when trying to generate those reports."

What is our primary use case?

We're getting some daily reports out of it for different systems regarding passwords expiring, accounts locked out, and a number of events in different categories. We're probably not using it to its fullest potential.

We import log data into the solution from Windows Servers and switch-logs from the Cisco switches. Those are the main things that we feed into the system. We don't have any Linux or any other external systems that we feed into it.

How has it helped my organization?

We use those standard reports every day and monitor them. It does save us some time from having to go out manually and pull that information together. With the daily reports that we get, we can easily scan through them and find any anomalies that are occurring. If a system suddenly starts getting thousands of more errors than it did previously, we know we need to look at something on that system.

The solution has also saved us time due to the fact that it's doing the consolidation of the log files for us. It probably saves us three hours a day.

What is most valuable?

The ability to import log data into the solution is very good. It consolidates that information and stores it in a compact manner. It doesn't use a huge amount of disk space to store the history of the logs but still gives us the ability to pull various reports as we need them.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see improvement in the ease of generating reports. It seems fairly cumbersome whenever you decide to start tracking new categories of events. It seems a little kludgy when trying to generate those reports. Other than that it's fine.

More than five years.

It's very stable. We put it in place and have ignored it except, for pulling the reports.

In our environment, it works perfectly fine.

I've used the technical support a couple times. I've had very good results. In generating those reports, they were able to provide the methods in order to collect the information we needed to collect.

I don't know exact numbers on ROI, but in my mind it saves us a lot of time. I have six or seven reports that I can peruse through each day, quickly and efficiently, instead of having to go out and collect that data manually.

Licensing is very easy. Our CIO takes care of the billing, but in terms of price point, he hasn't complained, so it must be good.

What other advice do I have?

Go through some training to know the ins and outs of the application. It has changed quite a bit in the seven years I've worked with it, and it would be a good idea to do some more training to learn all the new features and to make sure you can utilize all the capabilities.

The UI is okay. As I said, we're probably underutilizing the product compared to what we should be using it for. We don't view the information from it on screens. We more go off of the reports that we get daily out of the system.

In our company there are only three people using the system. We're all IT managers. We're only monitoring about 30 systems and we don't have plans to increase usage. Total time for deployment and maintenance would be a part-time IT manager, ten hours a year. In terms of internal staff resources for internal incident management, it's the same three IT specialists.

I would give the solution an eight out of ten. I'm not giving it a ten because of a lack of understanding of the system and some of the kludginess in the generating of reports.

Bryan Caporlette
Chief Technology Officer at G&G Outfitters Inc
Identifies potential threats and the remediation that I should take to be able to quell those threats

• "The SIEMs and managed service are its most valuable features. We get a weekly report from them which provides a culmination of them combing through millions of events which are triggered across our network every day and minute. Their information security experts basically boil that down to a report which I get emailed once a week. It identifies potential threats and the remediation that I should take to be able to quell those threats."
  • "The deployment of the agents could be a bit easier. We always seem to have a bit of a challenge with that. A lot of times the agents either don't deploy or they quit responding, then we have to go and redeploy them."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is SIEM vulnerability and IDS.

How has it helped my organization?

It is protecting us from cyber threats.

We get a lot of information security audits from our larger clients. I wanted to be able to have intrusion detection and prevention, vulnerability scanning, and SIEM because those are always the questions, "Do you maintain your logs? Do you look at them? How do you take proactive action?" EventTracker managed service gives me the right answers for all those questions and has saved me time when answering these questions.

What is most valuable?

I don't have a CISO and don't have the budget to bring a CISO in. Therefore, it basically allows me to outsource the information security officer to EventTracker and have them perform that role for the company.

With the dashboards, I can very quickly see if there are any pending threats or anything that I should take action against. It has a very easy to use interface. Instead of having to go run reports and digging through millions of entries of data, I can have a couple of key metrics brought right up to me through the dashboard and be able to review that information, then either send it on to my networking team to address something or have comfort that we're in a good footing security-wise.

The solution's UI is very good now. It went through a transition phase from four years ago to today. With each iteration, we started on version 6 or 7, then we went to 8, and now we're on 9. Each one has been a large improvement for user usability and the user interface. It is more modern and easier to use. We usually view it on Internet Explorer or Chrome. I use my laptop to view it and find it a comfortable view.

I rely on them to tell me what features should be rolled out and come out. They are always introducing me to new threats and other thing that we need to be looking out for. They say, "By the way, we're looking for these now on the weekly report for you." They are the ones that I just outsourced this to.

What needs improvement?

The deployment of the agents could be a bit easier. We always seem to have a bit of a challenge with that. A lot of times the agents either don't deploy or they quit responding, then we have to go and redeploy them. That gets frustrating.

Three to five years.

It has been very stable for me. I can't say that I have ever known it to be down in the last four years unless we were rebooting it ourselves to do maintenance, like caching on the server.

Version 9 was a tremendous upgrade for the dashboard. The performance of the new version with the Elasticsearch edition is a real improvement. Previously, running reports would take a long time, and now reports are very easy to slice and dice, then look through the data and dashboards. The dashboards are very helpful if I want to add a new widget. I can email the control center, then they will just add it to my dashboard for me.

It has accomplished what I wanted it to accomplish. If anything, I'm downsizing servers by moving it to the cloud. So, I'm not really adding more to what it needs to manage.

A network engineer and I are the two users for this solution. It is currently deployed across all of our desktops, servers, and VMs. I don't have any expectations to expand it, except for if I hire a new employee and put a new desktop in, but I doubt we are going to be putting new servers in.

We are getting on average 1.6 to 1.7 millions events a day.

The technical support is very good and responsive. If I send an email to them, I always get a response within an hour. I don't generally have any emergencies happen. When we've had an emergency situation, they've also been really good to jump on and help remediate the situation. For example, we had a virus that was detected, and they were the ones that identified it early on during their review of the SIEM. They were there to help us through the remediation, getting it blocked, and blocking any exfiltration that the virus was trying to do. Afterwards, during the post-mortem and giving me documentation on what they had seen, how we'd reacted to it so that I can put together a post-mortem for the executive team, they participated in that. Overall, they have a really strong support team.

We did not use another solution prior to EventTracker.

The initial setup was straightforward because they did it. We just had to give them a virtual machine that met their specs, then they installed the software and got it all configured for us. So, it was pretty easy and only took a network engineer from our company.

It did not take more than a couple days to get everything installed, running, tuned, etc. We installed the software first, then we installed the agents second.

We have a network engineer doing the maintenance for it.

Netsurion did the installation. We did not work with a third-party consultant.

I haven't measured the ROI. We don't do normal budgets, as we are not that big of a company. We are mid-sized.

The pricing and licensing seem very reasonable. The managed service part of it feels like it gives me the equivalent of a full-time engineer for a lot less money. So, I feel it's a good value.

I was doing a cursory review of different things by doing a web search, like a Google search, and looking at different options. I came across Netsurion, who are local to us, and I knew the VP of Sales, and I always like to work with people who I have a relationship with.

What other advice do I have?

The solution has been everything that I've asked for from a service standpoint, software standpoint, and support. I have no complaints.

My advice would be to engage them to do the installation. The managed service is great value which saves you a full-time employee on your staff by being able to outsource it to EventTracker to review all the logs and cull through the data to make recommendations and identify threats, then how to remediate them. They provide it to you in your weekly or daily report, depending on how frequently you want to have them do it, which is based on your compliance. If you have compliance requirements for HIPAA, PCI, etc., it is a great benefit to help an organization meet their compliance requirements.

We have internal staff resources for internal incident management. We leverage the EventTracker SOC team. When we detected the virus, we kept in contact with the EventTracker SOC team and sent them emails, and they would call me and say that they see it on this server or that desktop, and we'd go and take it off of the network and clean it. Then, we would put it back on and they'd watch to see if they saw any traffic that was not supposed to be coming from that server. For the whole remediation process, they were sort of part of the team.

Data is all configured to automatically go in. We deployed their agents, and those agents just send the log data directly to the SIEM. We don't manually upload anything.

We did not integrate it with any other solutions.

Download our free Netsurion EventTracker Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.