New Relic APM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

New Relic APM is #4 ranked solution in top Mobile APM tools and #5 ranked solution in APM tools. IT Central Station users give New Relic APM an average rating of 8 out of 10. New Relic APM is most commonly compared to Datadog: New Relic APM vs Datadog.New Relic APM is popular among Large Enterprise, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution is Computer Software Company, accounting for 31% of all views.
What is New Relic APM?

New Relic is a software analytics and application performance management solution that gives users in-depth data visibility and analytics. By going right to the source, the code, New Relic enables users to develop quicker software, build improved products,and consistently impress their customers. Data tells a story and New Relic interprets what it is telling you.

New Relic APM is also known as New Relic Mobile.

New Relic APM Buyer's Guide

Download the New Relic APM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

New Relic APM Customers

Dow Jones, Microsoft, Nike, Groupon, NBC, Sony, Fox, Adobe, Best Buy, Walmart, and WebMD, Cirque du Soleil, FlightNetwork.com, France Télévisions SA, Hachette Book Group, Hy-Vee, Inc., Isolation Network, Inc., Lighthouse eDiscovery, Major League Soccer, NYC-DOT, New Zealand Media and Entertainment, Office Depot International in Europe, Royal Opera House, Adobe Systems Incorporated, American Eagle Outfitters, Inc., Citrix, Despegar.com, Eastern Bank Corporation, Fox Sports, Globosat, Hogg Robinson plc, iHeartMedia, Jive, Kent State University, Multiplus, NBCUniversal, Ocado, REI, Sensis, VenueNext, Yellow Pages Limited and Zenefits

New Relic APM Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about New Relic APM pricing:
  • "I think the pricing is reasonable."
  • "The price was one of the reasons we chose this solution."
  • "The price depends on how many agents you want."
  • "This is an expensive tool."

New Relic APM Reviews

Devendra Tiwari
Principal Architect at Shadowfax
Useful service map feature and reasonably priced but the visibility can be improved

• "The simplicity of the dashboard is very good."
  • "It is very difficult to award the service level cycles at an endpoint level."

What is most valuable?

The service map feature is very useful.

The simplicity of the dashboard is very good. It shows the throughput latency and all of the transactions.

What needs improvement?

It offers transactions, but it does not offer an endpoint-level insight at the URL level. When we get a request, we want to know what the life cycle of that service is, and where the cycle is. This is what I am trying to locate with most of the solutions now.

I am trying to research how to find a cycle per endpoint and not at the service level.

It is very difficult to award the service level cycles at an endpoint level. It is important for us to get new insights to create better hygiene around the business use cases.

At the endpoint level, the visibility is not that great, and metrics are not available. It gives you a full view of the entire function's execution and not from the context of the URL altogether.

Also the response time, the latency contribution, and the throughput contribution are areas that need improvement. You can get the throughput contribution from New Relic, but not the latency contributions. You cannot get it at all.

These are the major limitations. When working with AppDynamics, I did not find any limitations, but the same can not be said with New Relic.

The way that it classifies the actual services is a bit ambiguous. It's not perfect. For example, I see there are certain solutions that are listed as extra services, as a dependency, and still I find that among load contribution, it tries to show that those services separately, which is confusing.

With the transactions, when it tries to show a type of "bufferHandler" from inside, it doesn't show what the nature of the request is. Especially with Microservices, it doesn't show what kind of method is present, which makes finding data very difficult. Instead, you need to go to the raw data. I think that defeats the purpose of using this tool.

The transactions do not show the time consumed by the request, from the metrics execution perspective. It was suggested that I did not know how to read it but I have done all that I could. It is very difficult to relate to and requires a lot of experience and time to read through, which it should not.

It should not be difficult to find the latency and throughput for the entire system when requested. It should not be difficult to develop the data that relates to the various types of execution.

It should have complete exposure around the endpoints.

The services-to-service dependency is fine but most of the startups have only one or two services that are all cycled. It does not provide you with a lot of help when you are showing that the two services are dependent.

What all of the dependent endpoints are and how are the cycles being formed is information that should be available in most tools, but not with New Relic and some other tools.

I have been using New Relic APM for one year, but in-depth in the last two months.

We are not using the latest version but within the year.

Almost all of the developers are using this solution in our organization. We have approximately 60 users.

It is used on a day-to-day basis.

I have not used technical support.

Previously, almost four years ago, I used AppDynamics. I think that it is a very good tool. I would rate AppDymanmics an eight out of ten.

We changed to another solution because of the cost. All of the developers loved the AppDynamics dashboard. It was very clear.

I was not a part of the team for the setup but my impression is that the documentation could have been better. It didn't make much sense.

For beginners using New Relic, the setup can be difficult and should be simplified.

We have a DevOps team to maintain this solution, but it doesn't require a lot of maintenance.

I think the pricing is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

There is a good bare minimum of required features for this tool, but if they are out to the in-depth analysis then finding a cross-dimensional relationship is not straightforward. It is difficult to implement.

If you are concerned about how your services behave, then New Relic shouldn't be your first choice. However, if you are considering New Relic APM, is a very affordable choice.

I would rate New Relic APM a seven out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
David Pratt
Senior DevOps Engineer at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Reasonably priced, straightforward to set up, and performs as expected

• "It does everything we wanted it to do."
  • "How granular I could go down at looking at certain data, especially related to the operations, is limited."

What is our primary use case?

We use New Relic APM to monitor our public cloud-hosted application and infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

Not so far. Although, we haven't really got a very mature system of defining our application processes from end-to-end and certainly not our client-centric impact.

I'm reasonably satisfied. We haven't run the rule over it too much because it hasn't been a massive investment.

It has been quite valuable to demonstrate how we can change our views for our services due to their service. It has proved value so far.

What is most valuable?

We don't have any problems with this solution.

The configuration isn't terrible when compared with other products.

It does everything we wanted it to do. We haven't been too critical in our thinking about where it can improve.

What needs improvement?

There really is nothing that stands out with New Relic. With the insight, I think it will be found lacking for its report aggregation capabilities. How granular I could go down at looking at certain data, especially related to the operations, is limited.

The API integrations that they have for us to automate our configuration was fine, but I think for some of these tools, it was over-engineering for us to try and automate any of that. So, we just use the user interfaces.

I have been using New Relic APM for approximately two months.

We are using the latest version.

It's a stable solution. We have not encountered any issues. We're not plugging too much traffic into it. We're not reporting on it heavily. It's not feeding into our service management processes heavily. So we haven't seen anything.

We have not yet explored the scalability, it's too early for us.

There are approximately 15 of us using it altogether. We are called infrastructure engineers, who are third line infrastructure support and architecture people.

Some of the lead developers have access, but there are 15 of us and we are all pretty similar.

We have not contacted technical support.

We have two custom in-house processes that do our application data flow monitoring. We have manually and in a custom nature, built out a performance monitoring platform in Splunk using our knowledge of the system over the years.

I have used App Dynamics in the past with another company. There really is nothing that stands out with New Relic. It is similar to AppDynamics and Dynatrace.

The initial setup was straightforward.

I don't think any of these tools are tools that anyone can pick up and install.

I wouldn't say it was any more difficult to configure than some of the other solutions. It is definitely not more difficult to configure than AppDynamics.

The price was one of the reasons we chose this solution. It's reasonably priced. It's cheaper than the likes of AppDynamics and Dynatrace, based on how our subscription is.

We looked at Datadog initially and found the initial setup to be far more complex than what we found in New Relic.

What other advice do I have?

Our proof of concept has been successful.

Getting an order in and reporting is an industry in itself, don't think it can solve the problems it's not trying to solve. It is an application performance monitoring tool. Don't try and make it anything else.

The big problem with Splunk for us is that it can do everything. The thing that's nice about New Relic is it doesn't try and do everything, it does what it does. So far, it does it to satisfaction, but don't try and fill multiple holes in your toolchain with it. It's good at what it does.

We had some pretty informed opinions on what it was going to do. We knew where it wanted us to get, and so far it has cost the amount we wanted it to cost and done everything that we wanted it to do.

I would rate New Relic APM a ten out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about New Relic APM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Avinash Goyal
Senior Specialist at Publicis Sapient
Tight integration, great service mapping, and very stable

• "The service maps that it creates, the health maps that it creates, the insights that it provides, etc., are all quite useful."
  • "The product has good documentation for Linux, however, their documentation for Windows is lacking substantially. It's something they need to develop."

What is our primary use case?

I'm working with a banking client. Apart from a uniform monitoring platform experience, they are looking for a solution that is scalable and also ready for cloud services monitoring and container-based workloads.

How has it helped my organization?

NewRelic provides a one-stop shop monitoring solution for organizations that are looking for 360 degree monitoring solution. Application, Infrastructure, Network, Database, Enduser monitoring, Mobile everything under one roof. Apart from that, as per Gartner Magic quadrant, NewRelic is among the top leaders.

What is most valuable?

The one thing that I like the most is the tight integration between different layers like APM, Infrastructure, Logging etc.. I don't have to go to a different UI to view different metrics. Secondly, health maps and service maps helps to evaluate the overall health of all the applications and any dependencies.

With Insights, I can create some powerful impactful dashboard that gives organization the business value they expect from the data collected from different data sources

What needs improvement?

The solution needs some sort of improvement on the synthetic monitoring site.

The product has good documentation for Linux, however, their documentation for Windows is lacking substantially. It's something they need to develop and mature over time.

It would be great if it had out of the box integration with AWS, GCP, and other clouds. For example, if I'm using BigQuery in GCP, I want the data that I am executing in BigQuery to be reflected in New Relic.

I'm working for a client where I'm proposing NewRelic solution to them. They have been looking for an intelligent monitoring solution that can provide a uniform monitoring platform experience to monitor application performance, infrastructure, end-user experience where NewRelic is the best fit.

The solution is quite stable. We don't have any issues there. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash. It's reliable.

The solution is both scalable and fast. We have no complaints about it at all in that regard.

It's multitenant on the cloud which helps make it very easy to expand as needed.

I've found technical support to be pretty good. They accept the new feature ideas quite readily and their SLA is also very good.

I kind of have worked on different tools, but then no one has provided a unified solution. I've worked on ELK, Sumologic for centralize logging specifically. I've also worked with Splunk.

AppDynamics also provides these features, but I have not explored AppDynamics so much.

The solution is straightforward to set up. It's not a complex implementation. They are more compatible on Linux side of things, however.

They need to provide more documentation for Windows. For example, I was trying the New Relic logs feature yesterday, and they have very good documentation for Linux, and can explain quite well how to do log forwarding on Linux. Then, for Windows, they do not have that specific documentation. I was stuck and I haven't worked on it today due to this lack of documentation.

The pricing is reasonable. APM is a bit on the higher side, however, their service offering is quite good.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is more mature than a lot of options on the market. If a company is looking for something that offers a unified scalable solution where they can monitor everything in one place, then NewRelic is definitely the option they should look out for.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Benjamin Moukoko-Makiadi
Product Manager Cloud at Pricer
User-friendly with good insights and an overall good product

• "Working with the solution is very easy. It's user-friendly."
  • "It would be nice if there were pre-made dashboards."

What is our primary use case?

Basically, I'm helping a customer of mine to set up monitoring items. What I'm doing is comparing solutions in order to create a document that I can give them so that they can pick one final solution.

What is most valuable?

The client is looking for infrastructure and for an application.

So far, we like the insights.

Working with the solution is very easy. It's user-friendly.

Overall, it's a good product, from what we have evaluated.

Currently, we're more in the process of gathering materials. The solution is quite new for us.

What needs improvement?

I haven't yet had too much of a chance to read up on the product or to compare it to other solutions to see if there are items that are standard elsewhere but lacking in this product. I need more time with the solution to really talk about any shortcomings if they exist at all.

It would be nice if there were pre-made dashboards. There should be out-of-the-box options that you can have. It would be nice to have something already done, so that you don't need to reinvent the wheel again, to create your own dashboard.

The pricing might be high if you are a company that goes through a lot of data.

I've been using the solution for about two years or so.

We're working on figuring out the pricing.

It looks like it's a little bit about how much data you ingest. Therefore, if you have a big environment, then it might not be good to ingest that month, as that much data will cost you a lot.

On the other hand, Dynatrace has a good set of features where you can trace down to the application. However, they are more expensive they don't have some dashboards and cost is an issue for the client.

I'm also looking at Dynatrace and Datadog.

The thing is all of these three solutions are doing the same thing. It depends. What we're currently comparing is pricing and if they work for the company on a budget level. We want to see what offers the most for the best rate. We're still trying to figure that out.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a consultant. I'm not a partner or a user of the solution.

I'm not sure if I have any specific advice to a company considering this solution as we are still in the early days of considering of this solution is the right fit. However, it's important to go through the process and examine a solution according to your company's unique needs. What works for our client might not work for everyone and vice versa. There needs to be a bit of research.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's a good product. It just depends on what you need as a company.

Fernando Furtado
Cloud Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Stable with a good VPN and very easy to set up

• "The VPN is one of the solution's most valuable features for us."
  • "The older view is much better than the new view that they have. We'd like to go back to that previous version. The user interface just isn't as nice as it used to be."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for watching user behavior, among other use cases.

What is most valuable?

The VPN is one of the solution's most valuable features for us.

We like that we have the ability to view users and speculate.

The initial setup is very easy.

What needs improvement?

The solution does not seem to be lacking any features. I can't say that I recommend any specific features for the next release.

I've been using the solution for about 2 months, more or less. It hasn't been too long just yet.

The stability of the solution has been good for us so far. We don't have any problems with it. It's reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't bugs or glitches.

We've found the scaling to be good. If a company needs to expand it, it should be able to do so without any problems.

Currently, we have four or five people using the solution. Our company, however, works for my customers, and therefore we have a lot of ongoing projects.

Technical support has been good so far. That said, we haven't really had any technical issues either. We're satisfied with the level of service we've received so far.

We didn't find the initial setup complex. The implementation was straightforward and simple.

The deployment was pretty quick as well. It might have taken us one to two hours to get everything done.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We're end-users. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations. We've had a good experience with it so far.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate the solution at a ten. It's pretty much perfect for our purposes.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Ilkka Myllylä
Owner at RP reaaliprosessi
Easy to use, gets the job done, and provides good breakdown and in-depth details

• "The breakdown of the response time of different components and getting in-depth details of the slow component are the most valuable features. It is easy to use, and it gets the job done."
  • "There has been some problem with the agent, and it is just not working well. It is not able to record information with the application server. They have been able to fix the issue, but it took quite a long time. This is the main issue in the APM products and also in New Relic. The mobile application monitoring has been pretty difficult to set up and also quite expensive. It should be a little bit easier and cheaper. Because it is pretty difficult and expensive, many customers don't take it."

What is our primary use case?

We are basically testing three products before going live with the new release of the software. We are also using it to monitor our production.

How has it helped my organization?

You can immediately see if there is some slowness. It can also alert you, and you can fix the problem pretty soon. In pre-production, you can ensure that everything is okay, and you don't put the worst performance to production. The performance should at least be at the same level as before.

What is most valuable?

The breakdown of the response time of different components and getting in-depth details of the slow component are the most valuable features.

It is easy to use, and it gets the job done.

What needs improvement?

There has been some problem with the agent, and it is just not working well. It is not able to record information with the application server. They have been able to fix the issue, but it took quite a long time. This is the main issue in the APM products and also in New Relic.

The mobile application monitoring has been pretty difficult to set up and also quite expensive. It should be a little bit easier and cheaper. Because it is pretty difficult and expensive, many customers don't take it.

I have been using this solution for four years.

Their technical support is pretty good. Sometimes, they took longer than I hoped. There were times when they took a couple of days, but I got help, and it is working.

What other advice do I have?

They seem to have a new pricing model, and I would advise others to look out and ask them before buying.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that you don't always guess right. Without APM, you can guess where the problem is, but with APM, you can actually see where it is, which is nice to know.

I would rate New Relic APM a nine out of ten. It is a good product. There might be another product that is better than this, but this is the product that I use and recommend first.

SaadHussain
Solutions Architect at VaporVM
Easy to read dashboards that help to provide valuable insights

• "End-user Synthetics and monitoring are very good."
  • "The deployment process could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The primary uses case was to monitor all the front end servers, code, and query optimization for code and DB to enhance the performance, detect and remove anomalies which cause a long time to process the functions.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us useful insights for end-users and gives more information which led us to drive the future strategy for the application for business units.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is New Relic Insights.

End-user, Synthetics monitoring, Infra, and DB monitoring are very good.

Our customers are happy with the dashboard and the data that it displays and the correlation between the components.

What needs improvement?

Data retention should be increased, advanced RCA and all possible and best recommendations should be provided.

Pricing should be revised

I have been working with New Relic APM for six months.

I have never been in contact with New Relic support.

The closest alternative is AppDynamics and the best part its On-prem module is also available. the support is not as good as the product

New-relic is easy to use and the implementation support is awesome.

The complexity of the installation depends on the environment. If the infrastructure is simple then it can discover all of the units in an hour or two. If on the other hand, the environment contains a gateway and a proxy then it might be complicated by having to open the proper ports and establish communication with the cloud portal.

We have our own team for implementation, deployment, and maintenance.

The pricing depends on the count of agents and the level.

Appdynamics

What other advice do I have?

For people who are comfortable with the cloud, this is the best option and a product that I recommend. So far, our customers are all happy with it.

Abdulla Pathan
Technology Competency and Solution Head at LearningMate
Good monitoring capability helps to fine-tune performance and identify problems

• "The most valuable feature is application monitoring."
  • "They should bring the pricing down to be more competitive."

What is our primary use case?

We were using New Relic to build performance, application monitoring, security aspects, infrastructure, exporting from databases, lower-performance tips, and trying to identify deadlocks.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is application monitoring.

What needs improvement?

The main reason we switched away from New Relic is that the cost is too high. They should bring the pricing down to be more competitive.

I would like to see the capacity planning improved.

The security standard and compliance are areas that should be improved.

We had been using New Relic APM for a few years and have now switched to DataDog.

There is no question about this product's stability. It is very good and I would continue to use it, but the price has caused the organization to move on to the DataDog solution.

New Relic is a scalable solution. I have between 10 and 15 large customers who use it.

I have never been in contact with technical support. I am comfortable with using the product.

We have switched away from New Relic and have begun to use DataDog.

This is a cloud-based solution that doesn't need to be installed.

This is an expensive tool.

What other advice do I have?

This is one of the best tools that I have used. I have recommended it to customers in the past and would continue to do so. In summary, this is a very good product and the only real problem is that the cost is on the higher side.

Download our free New Relic APM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.