New Relic APM Overview

New Relic APM is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Mobile APM tools. It is most often compared to Datadog: New Relic APM vs Datadog

What is New Relic APM?

New Relic is a software analytics and application performance management solution that gives users in-depth data visibility and analytics. By going right to the source, the code, New Relic enables users to develop quicker software, build improved products,and consistently impress their customers. Data tells a story and New Relic interprets what it is telling you.

New Relic APM is also known as New Relic Mobile.

New Relic APM Buyer's Guide

Download the New Relic APM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

New Relic APM Customers

Dow Jones, Microsoft, Nike, Groupon, NBC, Sony, Fox, Adobe, Best Buy, Walmart, and WebMD, Cirque du Soleil, FlightNetwork.com, France Télévisions SA, Hachette Book Group, Hy-Vee, Inc., Isolation Network, Inc., Lighthouse eDiscovery, Major League Soccer, NYC-DOT, New Zealand Media and Entertainment, Office Depot International in Europe, Royal Opera House, Adobe Systems Incorporated, American Eagle Outfitters, Inc., Citrix, Despegar.com, Eastern Bank Corporation, Fox Sports, Globosat, Hogg Robinson plc, iHeartMedia, Jive, Kent State University, Multiplus, NBCUniversal, Ocado, REI, Sensis, VenueNext, Yellow Pages Limited and Zenefits

New Relic APM Video

New Relic APM Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

JoaoBatista
Infrastructure Manager at Mobly
Jan 14, 2019
It monitors all our systems and is reliable

What is our primary use case?

We use it for application and infrastructure monitoring. It covers all of our systems, including our main eCommerce system.

• "As soon as it monitors all our systems and is integrated with PagerDuty, the operations team just needs to wait for alerts on their cellphones to fix things."
  • "I would like if it could have predictive analysis. Today, we only have the option to configure thresholds."

What other advice do I have?

It easily integrates with PagerDuty, our on-call management and notification system.
Ahmed Nasir
Software Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 9, 2019
The solution makes it very easy to have a holistic view, but there is room for improvement on the alerting, insights, and infrastructure monitoring

What is our primary use case?

We use this for application monitoring of our product.

• "They have baseline level alerting."
  • "I would like an infrastructure network that provides real-time views, showing the issues."
  • "Compared to their competitors, they are missing some features at the moment."

What other advice do I have?

We don't have an AWS version right now.
Find out what your peers are saying about New Relic, Dynatrace, Datadog and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: January 2021.
455,962 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Technicab364
Technical Lead with 5,001-10,000 employees
Jan 2, 2019
The product has good dashboards, scalability, and environments

What is our primary use case?

We use New Relic for monitoring and alerts.

• "We detect issues using dashboards that we built on New Relic."
  • "The APIs could be better. I would also like more APIs and features to integrate with streaming solutions, like Kinesis or Kafka."

What other advice do I have?

New Relic is the best choice because the product has good dashboards, scalability, and environments.
CTOAndVp2210
CTO and VP R&D at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Dec 26, 2018
It gives us the visibility that we need in monitoring

What is our primary use case?

We use it for monitoring the CPU, memory, services, email rates, etc.

• "Every time there is a crisis, high traffic, or if we see a problem with a server, we go to New Relic and monitor it to determine the cause."
  • "I would like to be able to invest less time in IT and ad hocs. We should be concentrating on other issues."

What other advice do I have?

Go with it. It is a good product. It gives us the visibility that we need in monitoring. The AWS version is easier to deploy than the on-premise version.
CloudArchitect2309
Cloud Solution Architect at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Dec 26, 2018
It has been helpful for our developers when they are tracking down issues

What is our primary use case?

We use it for application performance monitoring. It helps us to track down the bottlenecks in the application, whether it is in the database or the front-end. It is helpful for our developers when they are tracking down issues.

• "The deep insights, which will give you the metrics (not a high level), so we can build out at the database level where the bottleneck is. This has been pretty helpful."
  • "New Relic has helped us in terms of the optimizing our print and loading times."

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate it, because it supports almost all the popular run times. Most of the popular languages support this, like Java. So, it makes it adaptable and easy to use. I work predominantly on AWS.
    SeniorSt9e39
    Senior Storage Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Dec 24, 2018
    Our operations center can go back and look at trending and history of the applications. They have alerts set up which trigger off of it.

What is our primary use case?

* Infrastructure management * Application management

• "It is a software solution as a service, so I don't have to manage it on-premise."
    • "I would like to have storage monitoring. E.g., being able to monitor SANS, specifically protocols, like NFS and CIFS metrics."

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try, install it, and use it. I don't have to manage the server and worry about the database, storage, and VMs being up and running, etc. It is always there.
    Sunder Rajagopalan
    Software Platform Architect at Change Healthcare
    Dec 24, 2018
    It works well with the AWS platform that we are using. The integration with AWS was straightforward and easy.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for application performance monitoring.

• "Their technical support is pretty good and responsive. We have a real good relationship with them."
    • "The integration and configuration of New Relic is straightforward and easy."

What other advice do I have?

Give it a shot. See if it meets your use case. I have used the on-premise and AWS versions. The versions are very similar.
      Giacomo Pallotti
      Head of Engineering at Ziff Davis
      Dec 24, 2018
      The Serverless AWS has helped us with our monitoring. However, we would like a more sophisticated filtering for the Serverless AWS pieces.

What is our primary use case?

We are monitoring our server database to see if there are any anomalies or problems with the servers and databases.

• "We have done the New Relic integration with Serverless AWS, which has helped us with monitoring, and keeping our monitoring from our on-premise part with the cloud part."
      • "The integration and configuration of this product in our AWS environment needs improvement on the filtering part. I would like it to go more granular on accounts."

What other advice do I have?

New Relic has been in the business for a while. It offers a wide selection to attach a monitoring mobile app, server, and cloud. If you want to go with just one product, it fits all your needs. We were using the on-premise version before going to cloud. So, we were using it on the physical data center, then we migrate to cloud and started using it with AWS. We haven't seen any different between the two products. We have been able to monitor in both.
      Chris Lawther
      Senior Infrastructure Architect at General Electric
      Dec 23, 2018
      We have been able to proactively identify failures before they happen

What is our primary use case?

It monitors all of our services that are running. It also monitors our infrastructure. Therefore, we use it for monitoring, identifying when services go down, or when they are outside of what we would consider normal operations.

• "We use it for monitoring, identifying when services go down, or when they are outside of what we would consider normal operations."
      • "It has prevented failures from occurring in our production environment."
      • "I would like a feature where I can turn off alerting at a policy level. Thus, when a policy is inactive, I can shut down all of my alerts within the policy."
      • "It is complicated, especially in how you interpret the data that it provides. If it had a bit more canned, out-of-the-box features, especially some of the reporting features, that would be more useful."

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking to evaluate New Relic, compared it to other products, it is very powerful in terms of what it can do. However, it is a complicated to interpret some of the data which is provided with it. There is a trade off if you want to implement this product versus implementing something that is simpler and out-of-the-box, but not obtaining as much depth in what you can learn. It has some advanced plugins for EngineX, which is a web balancer that we use. So, we do integrate with these, which is a little bit outside of their normal realm. There is also an Apache one that we use. The…
      Ben Bays
      Principal Architect at Projekt202
      Dec 16, 2018
      It has been helpful to patch things before they are a problem

What is our primary use case?

Monitoring the health of our infrastructure.

• "We are able to drill down and see what is going on in the system."
      • "It has given us better insight into the performance of the system."
      • "The price needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend to go with New Relic. It integrated well with Docker. They have Lambda support now, so it has been fairly seamless. I have only used the AWS version.
      Sean Fernandez
      CIO at ROLLER
      Dec 13, 2018

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is monitoring.

• "It has in-depth analysis using developer code for someone whose not traditionally a developer."
      • "It gives insights to non-technical people about what technical issues are most important, how much it impacts customers, and potentially, where we should be targeting our development teams when they have time."
      • "They could improve the education process and how people understand that these tools are very technical. Right now, if someone was to pick it up from day one, it is a very steep learning curve."
      • "The monitoring is only as good as the alerts that it produces. By having it set up fine grain alerting, it is a bit of a pain."

What other advice do I have?

You definitely need this product if you want scale and stability. It fulfills what it's designed to do. Their constant iteration of features means it will always keep us well-informed about that particular requirement about the software. We are also using New Relic with PagerDuty and Slack. They integrate pretty seamlessly. A couple of button pushes, and it was done. We are using the SaaS version.
      David Campos
      CTO at Elo7
      Dec 13, 2018
      The infrastructure of New Relic is very stable, and it works well

What is our primary use case?

I use the product for monitoring many types of metrics, e.g., availability and comparing numbers in relation to products. I evaluate the response time of servers and the product to determine the health of the servers.

• "Sometimes, I monitor the user's time of response and use this information to improve the number of servers on the back-end. Or, I can use it to change my back log for front-end developers and improve their response times. It's very important in this case because I can improve the experience of the final user."

What other advice do I have?

I use other type of software for database, e.g., MongoDB and GraphQL. It is easy to integrate New Relic with these third-party softwares. I don't spend more than one or two days for integration, as it's very fast. It can monitor our codes and third-party codes in these softwares.
        Philip Radovich
        Systems Engineer at Griffin Solutions Group
        Dec 11, 2018
        It has helped us maintain a much higher uptime than we had previously

What is our primary use case?

We use it for server monitoring and strictly for our EC2 instances.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us maintain a much higher uptime than we had previously. It fulfills the need that we had for the product.

What is most valuable?

Server uptime is its most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

We have had issues with our agents going offline.

The stability has been fine.

Our environment has 25 servers.

The help from the technical support has always been good.

We have to…
        Kevin Heidt
        Software Developer at Cox Automotive Inc.
        Dec 4, 2018
        It visualizes metrics well and tracks our incoming requests, providing a lot of detail for troubleshooting

What is our primary use case?

* Mostly monitoring * Analytics * Troubleshooting * PagerDuty

• "It is a one stop shop and integrated with PagerDuty seamlessly. The solution is pretty self-contained."
        • "We would like to receive more AWS-specific details from the New Relic Dashboard, like EC2 health."

What other advice do I have?

I just starting using it, but the product is pretty impressive. We are hosting it through AWS.
        Luis Miguel Alba
        VAP & IT Planning & Optimization Responsible at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
        Oct 25, 2018
        We have a mode we call "influx" where we can see statistics, traffic jams or other important information.

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is for data application monitor, we used to add some backlogs into the application to see where the progress or the border makes in the process. So far, it is a good program.

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to manage the application flow."
        • "It is stable and scalable."
        • "In addition, its difficult to have a predictive tool to see how the application would behave in the future when it basically only shows the historical data."

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion, New Relic is a good tool, and if a colleague was asking my opinion, I would say "Go ahead and use it!" It is a good solution.
        it_user342054
        Engineering Manager at Survox
        Jun 23, 2017
        It revealed where our code was insufficient or needed to be refactored, but most importantly, it told us where we had latency in throughput and response time.

• "The most important thing is that it tells us where the latency in throughput and response time are."

What other advice do I have?

The ease of use, the information you can get out of it from the very little things you do – you get so much out of it. It’s very intuitive. You don’t have to read a manual – you just use it.
          11820_DevOps Engineer
          Dëvóps Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
          Jan 22, 2017
          Wonderful product
          APM products are something that needs to be well-tailored to your specific needs and environment. for the project i'm currently working on, we chose new relic after a bakeoff with another vendor. both products were great, but new relic came up on top and we've been very happy with the insights it provides. This review assumes one is familiar with APM and will not cover the basic benefits of New Relic as an APM product. Strong points: New Relic was very easy to deploy and had minimal impact on our environments. Visibility was near-total out of the box and support was extremely helpful in adding the missing instrumentation into the product. New Relic supports a good mix of environments which is important to us as we work with several languages. Support for background tasks is also…
          Ken Maier
          Chief Technology Officer (CTO) at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
          Dec 14, 2016
          We utilize the APM, BROWSER, and INSIGHTS dashboards on a daily basis.

What other advice do I have?

Don't be hesitant to reach out to New Relic in the pre-sales process to ask questions for help.
          it_user346830
          CEO at Shared Technologies
          Aug 30, 2016
          We chose New Relic because of its deep integration with Drupal.

• "As New Relic is already integrated with Drupal, we can get our projects done with best practice and with the best value that we believe in."
          • "Some of our customers see New Relic as a promising product to have, and we would like to deliver it to them. The only way we would be able to do that would be if we had server appliance for clients that we could install in their data centres."

What other advice do I have?

If you are using Drupal you should get New Relic. I would say that even if you don't use Drupal, you should get it. New Relic helps us to improve our team quality and to get our projects done with best practices. It will help you get to know everything about your infrastructure.
          it_user431808
          DevOps Lead at a consumer goods company with 501-1,000 employees
          Apr 28, 2016
          We've been able to automate a lot of our interactions with it. I think that there have been some questionable product enhancements, such as new navigation that requires a lot of clicks.

• "It has the ability to monitor random URLs not tied to the one pinger per application (though it costs extra)."
          • "I think that there have been some questionable product enhancements. Over a year ago, New Relic rolled out a new navigation that really disrupted our workflow."
          Naftali Marcus
          CTO at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
          Mar 10, 2016
          It allows us to pinpoint pages that require fixes to improve the user experience, and while it provides statistics, it doesn't give enough information about what to do with them.

• "They instrument up from the bottom to the top – every piece of code - they have a very perfect read of what’s being done, and how long it’s taking."
          • "It gives you amazing statistics, but doesn’t give you enough information about what to do with the statistics."
          it_user395046
          Sr. Hybris Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
          Mar 1, 2016
          The Insights module creates a real-time dashboard on application performance to create awareness for the DevOps team.

• "The most valuable feature is the New Relic APM module to deep-dive into the application, to get bottlenecks to the surface, and to improve application performance. Also, the New Relic Insights module creates a real-time dashboard on application performance to create awareness for the DevOps team."
          • "They need to improve the alerting and dashboarding as these are the key features in DevOps."

What other advice do I have?

I think all online applications need to have APM software implemented to actually knów the performance state of the application.
          it_user344535
          Information Technology Director at Ontegrity
          Dec 13, 2015
          It enables the stability of our product, and it's allowed me to keep human resources at a minimum so that we have a smaller number of people to do better things.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to save money, go for it. Time is money, and it saves you so much time to be able to find issues and to fix them.
          it_user344553
          SQA Manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Dec 9, 2015
          Mean time to recovery has improved, leading to cost savings, though the data collection on it is not a long enough period of time if I want to see trends beyond seven days.

What other advice do I have?

It’s just so easy to set up and use with little training. The barrier to entry is extremely low and it adds a high-value.
          it_user347676
          Director of IT/Operations at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
          Dec 5, 2015
          Implementing it with our app servers gave us visibility into our Java code and JVMs during user issues. Yet, Synthetics would be more useful if it didn't have to learn another analytics language.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great tool for monitoring infrastructure and application performance. The only drawbacks have been cost and a few issues with outages and monitoring/alerting failures.
          it_user342744
          Director of Corporate and Software Development at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          It gives us instant feedback on incidences causing the biggest performance hits. However, alerts for alerting the appropriate people when something goes wrong are not quite there yet.

What other advice do I have?

We’re very satisfied with it. We had a little difficulty plugging in some more of the advanced features. It’s so big and so complex, but New Relic does invest in education. This is the best tool for gaining insight into SaaS or cloud-based applications that we’ve seen. Unless you’re going to roll your own solution, you pretty much have to use them.
          it_user344805
          Lead Software Architrect at a retailer with 51-200 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          It gives us a good digest of how the system is behaving and being able to diagnose any issues, though I'd like more granularity in the charts.

What other advice do I have?

Install it. Doesn’t take up any extra resources or any time to install.
          it_user348063
          IT Manager at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          It gives us enough knowledge to know where to improve things on the database side, although sometimes it requires too much drilling down to find out about a problem.
          it_user345018
          DevOps Architect at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          It's helped with a lot of troubleshooting of performance issues and with code problems, where we deploy something and it's performing slowly.
          it_user345000
          Senior Software Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          It's helped us to find problems early and to make sure that what we're doing is working, although it doesn't give us rich process tracing.
          it_user344943
          Senior IT Operations Manager at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          It helps us troubleshoot issues quicker, and when we're using it for performance analysis, several items can boil to the top.

What other advice do I have?

When we're looking at new products, we look at whether the product works, how it works. Doing tests that are long enough is hard as no one wants to spend the time doing it, so I try to make sure that it won't take more than 14 days to set up correctly. If it's important enough, then the trials will be done. It is one of the things that helps DevOps work in our organization and has helped stop finger pointing. It gives both sides enough info to help point us in the right direction of finding where an issue is. It gives us the insight into production to developers that operations doesn't want…
          it_user344877
          Problem Manager at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          We can see how deployments affect the application, both good and bad. And although it constantly aggregates data so it’s not a real-time indication, they recognize and are looking to solve the issue.

What other advice do I have?

It loses points because our applications are running on Ruby on Rails, and our tech stack is not up to date, so there are some glitches integrating with APM. I'd like to see a fix for that. Other than that, just go for it, you won’t regret it.
          it_user344856
          Sr. Principal at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          It gives us the ability to train our people and provide a more responsive application, but the mapping between applications to servers is not very intuitive.

What other advice do I have?

Engage the development community within the company early, and request an integration tool to make implementation easy.
          it_user344799
          Lead Developer at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          We can see exactly what’s going on and are able to understand what code paths are running, though I'd like dashboard customization to display collection jobs and how they break out one by one.

What other advice do I have?

It’s easy to use, has a low barrier of entry, you can craft custom instrumentations, and craft your own metrics to get your own details out of it.
          it_user344784
          Sr. Ops engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          It provides us a clear understanding of where the problems are and so the people responsible can solve the issues, although the stack traces don’t go far enough, ending in just a question mark.

What other advice do I have?

Just go for it. When I show people what it can do, it’s mind boggling. What’s coming up in the new release -- wow!
          it_user344568
          DevOps Engineer at Cvent
          Dec 2, 2015
          I can drill down and see what’s happening in real-time, but I'd like second-by-second monitoring, instead of a five-minute lag time.

Valuable Features

Real-time error monitoring means I can drill down and see what’s happening. It allows me to see what my latency is while it’s going on.

Improvements to My Organization

The data visualization is easy to read. Better yet, it's easy to show other people the visualizations.

Room for Improvement

I'd like second-by-second monitoring, instead of a five-minute lag time.

It's good, though there was just one instance where the agent had a problem, but it was quick to remedy.

No issues encountered with scalability.

I found a bug and they gave us a work around, and a week later, they released a patch.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup.

Other Advice

I would like…
          it_user344571
          Operations, Android engineer at Cvent
          Dec 2, 2015
          We're all privy to data at the same time, whereas before we only had siloed views that provided limited data. However, it needs ways to extract data to other platforms such as mobile.
          it_user344559
          Devops Engineer at Cvent
          Dec 2, 2015
          It's given us the ability for anyone to know how our customers experience our application, although it would be nice to have a way to pull charts and data into third-party services.

Valuable Features

It allows us to break up the bands of types of responses you get, such as database and external transactions.

Improvements to My Organization

It's given us the ability for anyone to know how our customers experience our application.

Room for Improvement

I'd like a way to pull charts and data into third-party services. If we can pull that data and recreate charts, that would be great. There are also a couple UX/UI inconveniences, as some of the graphs take a sharp drop down because they haven't gotten data yet.

It's fairly stable, but there were some issues every once in a while, but New Relic is very quick to put notifications out.

It's no problem, we’ve gone through adding services and have had no issue scaling. …
          it_user344544
          Sr. Software Engineer, DevOps at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          We get to know when a specific service or specific URL is failing and not performing. We can set certain delivery thresholds, which, if broken, we hear about it immediately.

What other advice do I have?

It depends on your business, but it's a very useful tool. If you're in the web, you probably need it.
          it_user344532
          DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          Developers and operations people can look at the same data, but, although rare, there have been some times where it failed to record something.

Valuable Features

Transactions overview - we can track the slowest ones to see where the problems occur. It’s the first place we look for problems.

Improvements to My Organization

Both developers and operations people can look at the same data, and that’s a great benefit. Operations can monitor, as they’re also in charge of the website, and developers can use it to see code changes.

Room for Improvement

It could be faster, but they’re already working on making this.

Quite stable. There have been some times where it failed to record something, but those were rare. Pretty reliable.

No performance issues when scaling. We don’t need to care about scaling it as it monitors our system. You just put an agent in the server and New Relic takes…
          it_user344508
          Senior Software Engineer at a retailer with 51-200 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          It provides us with less debugging response time and alert notifications, although I wish it had more insight into what might be causing a particular slowness issue.

What other advice do I have?

New Relic is great for DevOps and for a company that expects developers to do their own operations. For specialists they tend to have their own instrumentation tools.
          it_user344502
          Linux Systems Administrator, Operations at a real estate/law firm with 501-1,000 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          ​From an ops standpoint, we can know and pinpoint what the problem is. It would be better if they'd add monitoring on the ops-server side.

Valuable Features

It is easy to set up from scratch, as you don’t need resources. Also, the response time and PHP are valuable.

Improvements to My Organization

From an ops standpoint, we can know and pinpoint what the problem is. We're excited by down-to-the-server performance, as this was missing before.

Room for Improvement

If they added the monitoring to the ops-server side, it would be better.

Use of Solution

We're using it alongside Insights for about three years, and heavily for the past two years. We had logic monitor that helped us at server level.

We're moving our infrastructure to AWS, as they are integrated with it.

No issues with tech support.

It was easy.

Other Advice

It's…
          it_user343479
          Vice President of Technology - Media at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          It solves a lot of the problems that we’re looking for in the interactions between system components and micro services.
          it_user343470
          Software Engineer at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          ​The monitoring and alerts for servers is good, but it would be nice if it was easier to hand off to clients.

Valuable Features:

The monitoring and alerts for servers Memory Disk space CPU

Improvements to My Organization:

We use it at our clients' sites. We own all our dev servers, and then hand them off to our clients.  Then, with our micro-services, we have basic analytics. It is super simple to set up.

Room for Improvement:

If we can find a way to communicate the need to use it, we use it, but we want a way to hand it off to our clients easily. There are other solutions out there.
          it_user343464
          Senior Software Systems Engineer - Digital Experience at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          It gives us one view over all our assets, and though I'd like to get more granular data, this may be coming in Insights.

What other advice do I have?

We’re still evaluating it since it’s relatively new in our environment. Make sure you understand the cost structure and that the solution will work across multiple OSs.
          it_user343407
          DevOps Engineer at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          It captures the issue so we don’t have to reproduce it, but it needs synchronous calls, which New Relic says is on the way.

What other advice do I have?

If they did the asynchronous and stepped up with .NET ease of use it would be 10/10.
          it_user342795
          Senior QA Lead/Product Manager at Ontegrity
          Dec 2, 2015
          Since we are a small team, one person can set up alerts for three instances, and other instances in UAT, test, and QA environment. I'm waiting for analytics, which they are adding.

What other advice do I have?

The error analytics thing – we always wanted that. This is something that is coming up in December. Geoanalytics will be super helpful. There’s always room for improvement, and they’re still getting there coming up with new ideas to make it super comfortable. If they don’t want to build something on their own (and it all depends on company size, resources, etc.), an APM solution is the right answer. Given we have only one infrastructure guy and he can manage all of this, and a small team, everyone can use it all for different purposes. Stress testing, load testing, and evaluating performance…
          it_user342789
          DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          The load environment lets us stress test our application to find the bottlenecks in the code.

What other advice do I have?

New Relic is the right solution in my opinion. The light version of server monitoring is free with New Relic, and application performance index and error rate are the key features to look into.
          it_user342780
          Senior Software Engineer Team Lead at THE ICONIC
          Dec 2, 2015
          We have custom insights dashboards – massive screens with all this information aggregated. There were some CSS issues where sometimes the CSS wasn’t rendering, but they seem to have overcome those.

What other advice do I have?

I like the solution so much I haven’t necessarily tried other products and don’t need or want to. Ask if the solution has the main features your stack needs. Does it support your languages, frameworks?
          it_user342747
          Technical Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          Our end users are getting a better experience with our software as we're able to respond faster to any incidences. We could use, however, better ability to drill-down into errors.

What other advice do I have?

Breadth of features, user experience, and constant development of the platform, as well as the value it’s adding to our business. Our products have grown with the New Relic platform; we see the value that people are getting from the platform. The data pretty much speak for itself – sign up, get a trial, and use it in production immediately.
          it_user342723
          CTO at Lab Zero
          Dec 2, 2015
          We can run it in production on all of our nodes without a performance hit. I would like, however, some way to disable data scrubbing manually.

What other advice do I have?

They didn’t rake us over the coals to start extracting value, and there's no lock-in. We got really fast results times and it's a pleasure to work with. A growing suite of tools that work together, New Relic is going after bringing solutions to a contiguous set of needs. It’s a win for the clients, and it’s a safe bet for the future. Understand whether you’re using a SaaS; the organization needs to be warm to the solution. Put together a PoC to show the value of the product – put it in a dev environment and start feeding it data to be able to understand the value of it.
          it_user342189
          Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          ​We get greater insight into what our application is doing once it’s in production, although some of the aggregates over time tend to become more vague, so you lose resolution.

What other advice do I have?

I don’t see us being able to operate without New Relic. It’s important to collect a lot of metrics, but it’s more important to identify the ones that are essential to your business purposes. Know which data are really important and what you should keep an eye on.
          it_user342180
          Developer, DevOps Team at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          We can see easily what’s working and not, so there’s less downtime, but some training and documentation from them would be nice.

What other advice do I have?

Sometimes we just don’t know how to maximize the use of its features. If we had some additional training, that would help.
          it_user342075
          Software Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 51-200 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          It saves time and engineering resources in terms of making things faster and diagnoses problems. Once in a while the data is delayed on the graph, but that only happens every month or two.

What other advice do I have?

All the information is there, but sometimes it’s hard to figure out what it means. You have to have used it a number of times in order to understand where to look. It doesn’t tell you the whole story, it just gives you pieces.
          it_user342033
          Director of Operations at Trulia
          Dec 2, 2015
          We can share root cause of issues with developers and other people within engineering because we can drill down in parallel.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a solid product. They continue to innovate year after year. They’re getting closer to a 10, but because of the speed of innovation I think there are a few disconnects within the suite/product line. That’s the main thing that keep sit from being a perfect solution, but they’re a very solid product and a very solid company. It needs to be a cross-organizational evaluation. Can’t be Dev or Ops-only. The solution definitely needs to be low friction to get it into the environment. Being open to the customers in terms of what their product roadmap is and what the customer can expect, and then…
          it_user341649
          Architect Group Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          We're able to investigate customer tickets much faster with it, and although there are no real-time graphs yet, they're adding it soon.

What other advice do I have?

I feel like it’s the best-in-class, and its differentiator is aggregation and the speed at which you can query large amounts of data. I don’t think any other product gets close. The easy of adoption, also. Start opening up servers and adding agents, and you’re done. You immediately have data. Just get started. Pick something and try it. Regarding New Relic, you’re going to learn a lot about yourself even if you can’t afford it and you’re going to pick another solution. Too many of us do analysis paralysis on these sorts of things when you should just get started. That’s why trials are so…
          it_user341442
          DevOps Engineer at Zendesk
          Dec 2, 2015
          It tells us our average performance over time and pinpoints our key problems, although the UI is overcomplicated.
          it_user341436
          Senior Software Engineer with 201-500 employees
          Dec 2, 2015
          When there’s a deployment, it shows by graphing if a regression has happened, and it allows us to react. However, every now and then there are little quirks.

What other advice do I have?

You need to understand what’s in their stack, what technologies, what libraries, and it takes someone who has experience with those technologies to help make the decision. It also comes down to best bang for your buck, and I’d definitely recommend New Relic APM.
          it_user266244
          NOC Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
          Nov 25, 2015
          We like that in server pools, you can install the agent on one server and that it supports plug-ins (RMQ, Redis etc.).

How has it helped my organization?

It was the first tool our company used for application level monitoring. It doesn't require much investment or technical expertise to implement, and I would recommend it for SME.

What is most valuable?

Support for plug-ins (RMQ, Redis etc.) is a valuable feature.

Older versions of .NET.

The agents are updated quite frequently, but New Relic doesn't offer tools for doing the upgrade in large environments.

Customer Service: It's good. Technical Support: We had several issues that were dealt with by there tech support, and their level is pretty good.

Which solution did I use

it_user339354
          Managing Director/CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
          Nov 22, 2015
          It helps us monitor our performance by giving us clear unobtrusive insights with weighted numbers, and although it integrates with Docker, it's missing a few minor metrics.

What other advice do I have?

Just give it a go and see how it goes.
          it_user116826
          Lead Strategy Architect at a recruiting/HR firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Nov 22, 2015
          With the reporting/alerting and SLA feature we can generate reports to see the average response on days/weeks/months, but labelling and tagging should be more user-friendly.

What other advice do I have?

It's very good but still needs to be enhanced. Test it by implementing it, and in minutes, you will analyze the results and the dashboard and adopt it.
          it_user336102
          Application Performance Monitoring Lead at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
          Nov 22, 2015
          It provides a single pane for operation teams to look at and get to the root cause of issues, although alerts tend to show how an entire cluster, and not just the issue-causing node, is performing.

What other advice do I have?

Implement APM and server on non-production environments as well, especially an environment where you are running performance testing from. BrowserPro should be a requirement, and you should look into New Relic Insights as it is a great diagnostic tool. Make sure you keep, at a minimum, a few months worth of detailed data as well as populating it with additional custom attributes or data from other systems.
          it_user300519
          Head of Content and Backend developer at a pharma/biotech company with 51-200 employees
          Sep 1, 2015
          We're able to identify incorrectly optimized SQL queries, external machine bottlenecks, and other low performance issues.

What other advice do I have?

New Relic is a great SaaS which I will definitely continue using and will use in future products. We're a very happy customer.
          it_user298440
          Chief Technology Officer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
          Aug 27, 2015
          It gives us insight into the performance of the entire stack as well as a view into which components have the biggest impact on customer experience.

What other advice do I have?

Start with a trial to get a sense of which components perform what kind of task, then divide your environment into applications and servers that require data retention, and those that don't. Put them into two separate accounts. The ones that require retention will eventually become a Pro account.
          it_user293898
          .NET Web Development Manager at a music company with 501-1,000 employees
          Aug 23, 2015
          It provides on-demand profiling, allows for ApDex/error monitoring, and we're able to quickly identify how our product behaves in production.
          it_user289662
          Senior Software Engineer at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Aug 20, 2015
          We're able to determine where time is spent overall in server requests and to analyze database query times.

What is most valuable?

It provides information on where time is spent overall in server requests. It performs database query time analysis.

What needs improvement?

New Relic APM generates weekly performance reports, but they aren't really actionable.

No, but it was deployed before I arrived at the organization.

No, the service appears very stable. We get occasional 503 errors when pushing data to New Relic, but it's fairly infrequent.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: We haven't had to interact with customer service at all. Technical Support: I…
          it_user288351
          CEO at Carousel Apps
          Aug 10, 2015
          The performance report on which controllers are taking the longest and which parts of the application are consuming the most resources are valuable.

What other advice do I have?

Just go ahead and try it.
          it_user266814
          Senior Technical Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Jul 12, 2015
          It allowed us to identify exact module/service issues quickly and visually without going through gigabytes of log files.

What other advice do I have?

Go ahead if you can afford it. You won't regret the decision.
          it_user267330
          Plone developer. Python programmer. Technical project lead. at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
          Jul 7, 2015
          Real-time performance statistics showed that our online service wasn't as fast and reliable as we expected.

What other advice do I have?

Search in the plugins repository to see if there's already a package for your CMS framework. Install que iOS/Android mobile app to monitor your sites and get alerts.
          it_user258954
          Lead IT Engineer with 51-200 employees
          Jul 1, 2015
          The ability to filter errors by URL, server, and period of time has been helpful.
          it_user4548
          Senior Technical Lead: Automation and Performance Testing at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
          May 28, 2015
          Has really helped us in monitoring our production apps and also to diagnose errors.

What is most valuable?

APM Synthetics Blazemeter integration

How has it helped my organization?

This tool has really helped us in monitoring our production apps and also to diagnose the errors coming in using APM and synthetics modules.

What needs improvement?

I have logged a bug in their Ping Monitor within Synthetics and I need more improvement in this area.

I've used it for two years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 9/10. Technical Support: 9/10.

Which

it_user238704
          Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          May 13, 2015
          Helped us pin point the exact piece causing the performance bottleneck by using the transaction trace view.

Valuable Features:

Transaction trace under APM. Ajax section under browser

Improvements to My Organization:

Room for Improvement:

Instead of picking up a few values under trace, it can provide a list of every hit and their traces while keeping minimal overhead.

Use of Solution:

6 Months

Deployment Issues:

Yes. Installation of plugins seem to be really difficult due to the documentation available.

Stability Issues:

No issues.

Scalability Issues:

No issues yet.

Initial Setup:

Yes, installation of the APM piece and Server piece is straightforward but the plugin may cause an issue.
          it_user175095
          Co-Founder at a computer software company
          Dec 23, 2014
          We used to get lots of complaints from clients on app slowness. Using New Relic we are able to solve slowness issues

What other advice do I have?

Please go ahead and try this and you won't regret having it.
          it_user170535
          Information Systems Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
          Dec 10, 2014
          We can analyse events after they occur. This gives us better visibility to plan resolutions in a timely fashion.

What is most valuable?

Trends and Alerting have been valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

We can analyse events after the event has occurred. This gives us better visibility to plan resolutions in a timely fashion.

What needs improvement?

Performance/bugs.

6 months.

Sometimes we've noticed agents fail to report/respond.

Yes, we have encountered issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Customer Service: Excellent. Technical Support: Excellent.

Which solution did I use previously and

it_user167271
          Senior Unix Engineer + Managing Dir at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
          Dec 4, 2014
          Most important feature is the real time application performance & capacity reporting - complete product that just works.
          it_user165315
          Performance Test Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Nov 25, 2014
          Shows how much time each SQL transaction takes so client can pinpoint the query and modify.

What is most valuable?

New Relic shows how much time each SQL transaction (SQL query) is taking to execute. By this, client can pinpoint the query and modify so that it takes less time to execute.

How has it helped my organization?

New Relic has detailed analysis of various parameters such as Web Server, Database server, Application Server etc. so we were able to provide the client with more productive reports.

What needs improvement?

Additional functionalities and application up time.

No major issues.

Yes, sometimes.

Yes, sometimes.

Customer Service: Used…
          it_user162399
          Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
          Nov 23, 2014
          Transcational traces are very helpful.

What is most valuable?

Transaction traces

How has it helped my organization?

It helps me to identify root cause on the code level issues.

What needs improvement?

Doesn't recognized some third party transaction traces.

3 Years.

I haven't experienced any issues with deployment.

I haven't experienced any issues with stability.

I haven't experienced any issues with scalability.

Customer Service: Extremely satisfied Technical Support: Satisfied

Yes, I…
          it_user161835
          IT Manager at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
          Nov 22, 2014
          No extra cost to the configuration and there is no daily charge for the product, because it saves analysis time.

What other advice do I have?

I believe that New Relic meets 90% of cases. So if you have low budget and little time to implement , this would be the best choice.
          it_user164280
          Senior Service Manager with 51-200 employees
          Nov 20, 2014
          The reports on SLA metrics and scalability are very useful tool.

What other advice do I have?

Certainly do so. Great product which helps in quality and performance assurance of your webapps. Also helps in troubleshooting issues and brings Ops and Dev closer.
          it_user163950
          Consultant Software Developer at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
          Nov 20, 2014
          ​Reduced the worry in supporting live websites and alerts when server load reaches thresholds.

What is most valuable?

Alerts when server load reaches thresholds, disk space thresholds and error logging of applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Reduced the worry in supporting live websites.

What needs improvement?

Integration with Azure websites as well as Azure cloud services.

2 years.

No issues with deployment.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Straightforward - NuGet package.

In-house.

What

it_user163218
          Sr Application Ops Engineer at a tech company with 201-500 employees
          Nov 18, 2014
          Makes it easier to troubleshoot application issues. Administratively, it's really easy since it's a SaaS application.

What other advice do I have?

Have your dev team read the information about the product: it's capabilities and how to implement them. That will help a lot in the long run.
          it_user162618
          Security Consultant at a security firm with 501-1,000 employees
          Nov 16, 2014
          We are able to detect errors in the software, easy to manage and its dashboards are understandable to C-level.

What is most valuable?

JS error detection, alerting systems.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to detect errors in the software.

What needs improvement?

Error Tracing, kpi performance differs many with other controls like IPtables or specialized webs, this confuses but is understandable.

3 months.

My technicians did, it I'm not aware.

There are some 5 minutes interruptions that we don't know where they come from, 24x7 confirmed the web was ok so it must be the tool.

No, didn't notice any scalability issues.

How are customer service and technical

it_user162390
          Technical Co-Founder with 51-200 employees
          Nov 12, 2014
          Database trace was the most useful service - helped us to improve performance on our servers by more than 30%.

Valuable Features

The database trace was the most useful service. This helped us to improve performance on our servers by more than 30%.

Improvements to My Organization

I could spend less time verifying code and check for performance. I created accounts for my devs and integrated this into the KPI’s and also the test process. This in turn reduces the amount of money we were spending on our servers. The database performance was something we were able to greatly improve.

Use of Solution

I used the solution for roughly 6 months and also ran the service for another client.

The simple one line install was perfect and took us less than 1 minute to install.

None.

None. Our servers were small any which ways. …
          it_user161667
          QA Expert with 501-1,000 employees
          Nov 9, 2014
          This is a really awesome tool, getting you in & out of your entire backend framework in a cohesive manner.

What other advice do I have?

This is a really awesome tool, giving you in & out of your entire backend framework in a cohesive manner. Also maintains history of data to help to find root cause of problems back in history.
          it_user68343
          Webmaster with 51-200 employees
          May 1, 2014
          Great application but still lacks a bit in non application monitoring
          One of the greatest finds of the past 12 months has to be New Relic. Its monitoring and performance tracking in a box is just amazing, and shows what modern SaaS solutions should be. New Relic is a great application tier monitoring solution, and while I would love it to do many more things, its still amazing how much it can do. It is still lacking a bit in non application monitoring, so can’t hold all the cards at the moment, but works well alongside other platforms. Don’t write this off as a Java tool, I know I initially did, but we have had it run against PHP stacks with just as much useful information generated.
          it_user103896
          Sales Engineer at a tech consulting company with 11-50 employees
          Apr 15, 2014
          I loved using this product.

What is most valuable?

Monitoring, Custom Dashboards

How has it helped my organization?

New Relic gave us a quick, easy way to monitor our web application for all of our systems. This changed how and what we responded to.

What needs improvement?

I would like better alerting. I also would like to see a bit more detailed information. Though I was happy with the detail I did get.

2 years

No, deployment was easy.

None

None

We had several solutions in-house.

This was a simple…
          it_user68016
          Team Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
          Oct 31, 2013
          New Relic for PHP: Web Application Performance Monitoring
          The performance of a web application plays a critical role in how an application is perceived by its users. It is important to measure it, identify the causes if it changes and react swiftly to any unexpected changes. This article describes an industry leading tool, New Relic, and how it can be used to monitor and improve your site performance. Setting up a good web application monitoring system can be tiresome, but it’s well worth it. Without the monitoring tools the only thing we could tell is if our site is performing as expected or not. In order to improve the performance we have to be able to identify the worse performing user actions and profile them independently to pinpoint the cause. New Relic achieves that and more in just a few screens, all without manually adding…
          it_user67749
          Manager of Development at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
          MSP
          Oct 28, 2013
          Monitoring with NewRelic
          Over the years I’ve come to rely on information radiators during testing to get immediate (or as quick as possible) feedback from the systems I’m testing. Firebug, log files, event logs and many other sources of information are all very useful to a tester. They can give you insights in to what is happening in the system under test. We’ve just taken this a step further by rolling out NewRelic on our test servers. NewRelic is what’s termed a “Application Management Solution”. I’ve been talking about this internally as a system that can give us three distinct insights: User Experience Information Server Information Product Performance Information I’ve probably over simplified the tool and doing an injustice but it allows me to clearly explain the value we’re seeing from it. User…
          it_user67695
          Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
          Oct 28, 2013
          Use New Relic like a Pro
          Introduction New Relic has become an industry standard for web applications performance measurement in Rails community. Simply adding and configuring newrelic_rpm gem for your Rails application gives you a great overview of its performance with an adequate level of details. There are still a few improvements you can do to make use of some cool and extremely useful features of New Relic monitoring. They will help you to save time and efforts when fixing performance issues, scaling application, refactoring, etc. So what should you do to make fast and effective use of New Relic? Record your deploys Always record deploys with your capistrano or chief scripts. This will save you time when looking for reasons for performance improvements or drawbacks. A…
          it_user11631
          Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
          Oct 22, 2013
          The awesomeness that is New Relic
          Explained by example The best way to explain how New Relic can help, is by example. A few weeks back, one of the magento based webstes I manage had some serious delays at checkout. After 'submit payment' was clicked, some users reported that the site could take up to 40 seconds (and in some instances just timed out) to respond back with the resulting page. Yikes! This was just unaccepatble. After spending nearly 5 hours tracking this down (without New Relic), and not getting a clear view of the reasons, and not being able to replicate the issue, I signed up to New Relic, and hooked the site up. And within an hour I had the reasons, and a fixed was placed on the site. New Relic 'Key Transactions' New Relic has this great new feature called '…
          it_user4968
          Developer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
          Mar 11, 2013
          I’ve used new relic with my rails apps for over a year now and like the service a lot. I recently noticed that they have integration with php so I decided to get the php agent configured on my server so I could get stats on an upcoming symfony 2 app. I use Nginx / PHP-fpm to run my php apps on ubuntu. The install instructions on the new relic site worked pretty well except for one minor quirk. I had to install php5-dev so that the new relic install script had php-config to execute to find out information about my install. After that, the install script kept complaining that it could not find a valid php install on the system. With this particular setup, new relic would look for php in /usr/bin/php (from the php-config script) but that did not exist. There was /usr/bin/php5-fpm and…
          it_user1020
          Head of Data Center at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Jan 3, 2013
          Great monitoring product. Potential privacy and security issues but the cons might just be too tempting not to try it..

What other advice do I have?

Personally, I would like to have an options pages during installation detailing what can be monitored and allow me to only select certain parameters to be reported. Also, network usage of the tool should also be profiled as it might consume a significant amount of your bandwidth if you have many servers being monitored.
          it_user660
          Data Center Expert at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
          May 22, 2012
          Unique model, ultra-modern product

What other advice do I have?

ROI - found key issues in the first month in the biggest Alexa-rated site that we own.
          Download our free Application Performance Management (APM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about New Relic, Dynatrace, Datadog, and more!