New Relic APM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

New Relic APM is #4 ranked solution in top Mobile APM tools and #5 ranked solution in APM tools. IT Central Station users give New Relic APM an average rating of 8 out of 10. New Relic APM is most commonly compared to Datadog: New Relic APM vs Datadog.New Relic APM is popular among Large Enterprise, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution is Computer Software Company, accounting for 31% of all views.
What is New Relic APM?

New Relic is a software analytics and application performance management solution that gives users in-depth data visibility and analytics. By going right to the source, the code, New Relic enables users to develop quicker software, build improved products,and consistently impress their customers. Data tells a story and New Relic interprets what it is telling you.

New Relic APM is also known as New Relic Mobile.

New Relic APM Buyer's Guide

Download the New Relic APM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

New Relic APM Customers

Dow Jones, Microsoft, Nike, Groupon, NBC, Sony, Fox, Adobe, Best Buy, Walmart, and WebMD, Cirque du Soleil, FlightNetwork.com, France Télévisions SA, Hachette Book Group, Hy-Vee, Inc., Isolation Network, Inc., Lighthouse eDiscovery, Major League Soccer, NYC-DOT, New Zealand Media and Entertainment, Office Depot International in Europe, Royal Opera House, Adobe Systems Incorporated, American Eagle Outfitters, Inc., Citrix, Despegar.com, Eastern Bank Corporation, Fox Sports, Globosat, Hogg Robinson plc, iHeartMedia, Jive, Kent State University, Multiplus, NBCUniversal, Ocado, REI, Sensis, VenueNext, Yellow Pages Limited and Zenefits

New Relic APM Video

Archived New Relic APM Reviews (more than two years old)

Chin Yan Keat
Product Manager at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Enables you to configure your own dashboard to monitor specific parameters

• "The most valuable feature of New Relic APM is the dashboard, New Relic Insights. I configured my own dashboard to monitor certain parameters."
  • "I would like to see the company implement the AI auto-baseline feature which Dynatrace has."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for application performance management (APM. We use New Relic to monitor API performance on the servers. It is a safety monitor for the performance.

How has it helped my organization?

New Relic is now the leader in efficiency improvement. We are able to configure our own specific dashboards so that we can monitor the things which we want to monitor.

Some of the parameters in our deployment, which we already know and we want to monitor constantly, can be selected on our own custom dashboard.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of New Relic APM is the dashboard, New Relic Insights. I configured my own dashboard to monitor certain parameters.

What needs improvement?

New Relic APM is more stable than Dynatrace. I don't have to upgrade that often. I'll need to upgrade Dynatrece after every few months for any of the new releases.

Sometimes, with Dynatrece after an upgrade to the new release, i.e. if I need to upgrade every half a year, it's not compatible or it has some compatibility issues.

I don't have any issues with the scalability of either New Relic or Dynatrace. They are both quite scalable.

New Relic doesn't have any offices in my country, so most of the time we have to use the web for resources or phone support for customer service.

New Relic APM was recommended by another vendor to our company. The software platform features and the local support of the agency were included in the package.

Those two factors sold us on New Relic APM as a solution.

New Relic APM installation is quite easy and very straightforward.

Pricing is better with New Relic APM than Dynatrace.

I recommend evaluating both New Relic APM and Dynatrace to see which features benefit your company specifically. Dynatrace is easier for getting started with no experience.

If you are a very experienced user and have intimate knowledge of your network architecture, then choose New Relic APM over Dynatrace.

What other advice do I have?

The reason we chose New Relic is the pricing. I will rate New Relic APM an eight out of ten for review. Overall, New Relic is not as good as Dynatrace.

I have to understand my own system and I like the New Relic APM dashboard. The software could be faster and more automated.

JoaoBatista
Infrastructure Manager at Mobly
It monitors all our systems and is reliable

• "As soon as it monitors all our systems and is integrated with PagerDuty, the operations team just needs to wait for alerts on their cellphones to fix things."
  • "I would like if it could have predictive analysis. Today, we only have the option to configure thresholds."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for application and infrastructure monitoring. It covers all of our systems, including our main eCommerce system.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

It's reliable, and the APM is the best of the market today.

What needs improvement?

In addition, it would be nice to have centralized log management, like Datadog does. As New Relic already has all of the application information and traces, it could compare them with application logs and do better analysis.

Thus, it could be cheaper, have predictive analysis and log management.

It supports our Black Friday week, when our requests increase about 500 percent. It's very stable.

We never had any issue with scalability. It is perfect. It currently monitors about 150 EC2 instances and several AWS services.

For the integration and configuration of New Relic in our AWS environment, we need to install an agent on all the EC2 instances to get the APM working. Also, it has an IAM user on the AWS Management Console, allowing for AWS metrics and for it to monitor other services.

We renewed our contract directly with New Relic since our systems were hosted on on-premise data centers.

The new licensing model is great, as we pay for what we use (in computational units). However, the pricing is expensive compared to other tools.

What other advice do I have?

It easily integrates with PagerDuty, our on-call management and notification system.

Learn what your peers think about New Relic APM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ahmed Nasir
Software Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
The solution makes it very easy to have a holistic view, but there is room for improvement on the alerting, insights, and infrastructure monitoring

• "They have baseline level alerting."
  • "I would like an infrastructure network that provides real-time views, showing the issues."
  • "Compared to their competitors, they are missing some features at the moment."

What is our primary use case?

We use this for application monitoring of our product.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution makes it very easy to have a holistic view.

What is most valuable?

They have baseline level alerting.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement on the alerting, insights, and infrastructure monitoring. It provides basic level alerting, and I would like more details.

I would also like an infrastructure network that provides real-time views, showing the issues.

Compared to their competitors, they are missing some features at the moment.

We haven't faced any stability issues.

We haven't faced any scalability issues.

They have a pretty good technical support.

The integration went smoothly with this product.

We also considered Datadog, but New Relic had better features for our use case and good support.

What other advice do I have?

We don't have an AWS version right now.

FB
Technical Lead with 5,001-10,000 employees
The product has good dashboards, scalability, and environments

• "We detect issues using dashboards that we built on New Relic."
  • "The APIs could be better. I would also like more APIs and features to integrate with streaming solutions, like Kinesis or Kafka."

What is our primary use case?

We use New Relic for monitoring and alerts.

How has it helped my organization?

We detect issues using dashboards that we built on New Relic. For example, if our drivers are taking too long to get rides, we usually detect the problem using New Relic dashboards.

What is most valuable?

The user experience with dashboards and the machine learning features are its most valuable features. The dashboards are useful for BI and fraud detection, if implemented the right way.

What needs improvement?

The stability is good. Because it is calibrated for SaaS, it is transparent for us.

The scalability is good because it is SaaS.

The technical support is good.

The integration and configuration was good for our containers and LAN disks.

The detection piece of it brings us a big return on investment.

Splunk and Dynatrace are the alternatives in the market. New Relic is the solution that our company purchased.

I have used another product at my company called Dynatrace. Though, I think New Relic is better because its dashboard is more intuitive for users. I use Dynatrace at my company because we have a partnership with them.

What other advice do I have?

New Relic is the best choice because the product has good dashboards, scalability, and environments.

RC
CTO and VP R&D at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
It gives us the visibility that we need in monitoring

• "Every time there is a crisis, high traffic, or if we see a problem with a server, we go to New Relic and monitor it to determine the cause."
  • "I would like to be able to invest less time in IT and ad hocs. We should be concentrating on other issues."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for monitoring the CPU, memory, services, email rates, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

We monitor the Internet daily, or every few days. Then, every time there is a crisis, high traffic, or if we see a problem with a server, we go to New Relic and monitor it to determine the cause.

What is most valuable?

• The APM
  • Monitoring
  • The capabilities which allow you to easily see whatever you are looking for.

What needs improvement?

• I would like to be able to invest less time in IT and ad hocs. We should be concentrating on other issues.
  • I would like more deep dive monitoring into services and being able to install it on some apps.

It is stable. We don't have any issues.

The scalability is good. We have a few thousand servers, and it is up and down based on the traffic and need. We have New Relic on all of our servers.

We don't use the technical support.

The integration and configuration of this product in our AWS environment was quite easy.

We have it integrated mostly with our physical servers.

The product saves time and money.

Purchasing through the AWS Marketplace was easy. The product is easy to deploy and manage, which is why our company purchased through the AWS Marketplace.

The pricing could be better. We did not purchase the full version. Maybe if we applied all the other features of the full version of New Relic, we could get all the features that we feel are missing.

In addition to New Relic, we evaluated Monitis and Dynatrace. We chose New Relic because it was cheaper for us as a startup, and it is also faster and more user-friendly.

What other advice do I have?

Go with it. It is a good product. It gives us the visibility that we need in monitoring.

The AWS version is easier to deploy than the on-premise version.

RG
Cloud Solution Architect at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
It has been helpful for our developers when they are tracking down issues

• "The deep insights, which will give you the metrics (not a high level), so we can build out at the database level where the bottleneck is. This has been pretty helpful."
  • "New Relic has helped us in terms of the optimizing our print and loading times."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for application performance monitoring. It helps us to track down the bottlenecks in the application, whether it is in the database or the front-end. It is helpful for our developers when they are tracking down issues.

How has it helped my organization?

We are concerned about our application's print and load times. It should be faster for the end user's experience. New Relic has helped us in terms of the optimizing our print and loading times.

It has solved many of our performance issues.

What is most valuable?

The deep insights, which will give you the metrics (not a high level), so we can build out at the database level where the bottleneck is. This has been pretty helpful.

Three to five years.

The stability is good. We haven't had any issues with New Relic. We load test for about 10,000 users accessing the application for every five minutes. This is our use case, and New Relic was used to monitor how the application is performing.

We use SaaS, so we don't really manage New Relic in any of the boxes.

The scalability is good, because it is already running on AWS.

We have not used technical support.

The integration and configuration of this product in our AWS environment was very easy.

We have plans to integrate with other products going forward.

It has saved on our developers' time when digging into performance issues.

The pricing model is a little confusing for beginners. They find it a little expensive, and if you are using it already, then that is not good.

Purchasing from the AWS Marketplace is very straightforward. When you buy it from AWS Marketplace, you can go with both options: URL SSL license and On Demand. So, when you are building, it is part of AWS, and this is convenient for end users.

We deploy everything on AWS. Purchasing the product on AWS Marketplace made it easier for us.

The pricing is okay comparatively their competitors. The only concern was whether it should be purchased on demand or bring your own license, and which way passes some savings onto the end customers.

We evaluated a couple of other vendors: AppDynamics and Datadog. They were quite a few other players as well, but we are happy with New Relic because it is simple to use and the developers can use it in their development.

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate it, because it supports almost all the popular run times. Most of the popular languages support this, like Java. So, it makes it adaptable and easy to use.

I work predominantly on AWS.

SK
    Senior Storage Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Our operations center can go back and look at trending and history of the applications. They have alerts set up which trigger off of it.

• "It is a software solution as a service, so I don't have to manage it on-premise."
    • "I would like to have storage monitoring. E.g., being able to monitor SANS, specifically protocols, like NFS and CIFS metrics."

What is our primary use case?

• Infrastructure management
    • Application management

How has it helped my organization?

We have an operations center which uses it quite extensively to manage production. They can go back and look at trending and history of the applications. They have alerts set up which trigger off of it.

I go in afterwards and help do the root cause analysis and troubleshooting.

What is most valuable?

It is a software solution as a service, so I don't have to manage it on-premise.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have storage monitoring. E.g., being able to monitor SANS, specifically protocols, like NFS and CIFS metrics. I have not seen the ability for it to do this and having some way to do this would be awesome.

The stability is fine.

It seems scalable enough. We are always hitting the limit of the number of agents that we have, then we buy more and it works.

I have not used technical support.

New Relic SaaS seems to do some things much better than SolarWinds, which we have on-premise.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try, install it, and use it. I don't have to manage the server and worry about the database, storage, and VMs being up and running, etc. It is always there.

Sunder Rajagopalan
    Software Platform Architect at Change Healthcare
    It works well with the AWS platform that we are using. The integration with AWS was straightforward and easy.

• "Their technical support is pretty good and responsive. We have a real good relationship with them."
    • "The integration and configuration of New Relic is straightforward and easy."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for application performance monitoring.

What is most valuable?

Its most valuable feature is application performance monitoring.

It gives me a complete x-ray of the application to understand where the bottlenecks are, then improve and fix issues.

We send through all our real-time transactions through it, and it is very stable.

The scalability is very good. We have a large real-time environment for processing payments.

The integration and configuration of New Relic was straightforward and easy.

We have seen ROI.

Comparatively, the pricing is expensive.

I zeroed in on New Relic. I was looking for a cloud native product at the time that I was looking for a solution, and two years ago, it was one of the leading products. It was quick to market, and we wanted to implement something quickly. It provided all the features which were required, and we didn't have to do our own installs within our data center.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a shot. See if it meets your use case.

I have used the on-premise and AWS versions. The versions are very similar.

GP
      Head of Engineering at Ziff Davis
      The Serverless AWS has helped us with our monitoring. However, we would like a more sophisticated filtering for the Serverless AWS pieces.

• "We have done the New Relic integration with Serverless AWS, which has helped us with monitoring, and keeping our monitoring from our on-premise part with the cloud part."
      • "The integration and configuration of this product in our AWS environment needs improvement on the filtering part. I would like it to go more granular on accounts."

What is our primary use case?

We are monitoring our server database to see if there are any anomalies or problems with the servers and databases.

How has it helped my organization?

Since we migrated from on-premise solution to the cloud (AWS), we have migrated somethings into Lambda API Gateway and DynamoDB. We have also done the New Relic integration with Serverless AWS, which has helped us with monitoring, and keeping our monitoring from our on-premise part with the cloud part.

What is most valuable?

• The alerting system
      • The integration of API Gateway with Lamda and Serverless AWS.

What needs improvement?

We are sharing different AWS accounts, and if a Lambda has with the same name but a different AWS account, it is a little hard to understand whether AWS or Lamda belongs to that account. Also, we have multiple accounts on the drop down to filter by Lambda, but we see two Lambda with the same name, then we don't know which one to choose. So, it needs to improve its filtering.

We would like a more sophisticated filtering for the Serverless AWS pieces.

Three to five years.

We have not had an issue with stability, so we are happy with it.

For all the features that they have and for the amount of data that we feed them, it handles the stress well.

We run 20 web servers, 500 Lambdas, and 50 DynamoDB tables. We also have an enterprise SQL Server with different instances along with MySQL databases and mobile applications.

I would rate the technical support an eight out of ten.

We were previously using Datadog. At the time of the switch, both companies were closely related product-wise, and some of our company was already using New Relic. We also chose it because the monitoring tool and alerting system fit our needs.

The integration and configuration of this product in our AWS environment needs improvement on the filtering part. I would like it to go more granular on accounts. There is also some room for improvement on the integration with Serverless AWS.

Because of budget, we are not using the mobile app part of this tool.

What other advice do I have?

New Relic has been in the business for a while. It offers a wide selection to attach a monitoring mobile app, server, and cloud. If you want to go with just one product, it fits all your needs.

We were using the on-premise version before going to cloud. So, we were using it on the physical data center, then we migrate to cloud and started using it with AWS. We haven't seen any different between the two products. We have been able to monitor in both.

Chris Lawther
      Senior Infrastructure Architect at General Electric
      We have been able to proactively identify failures before they happen

• "We use it for monitoring, identifying when services go down, or when they are outside of what we would consider normal operations."
      • "It has prevented failures from occurring in our production environment."
      • "I would like a feature where I can turn off alerting at a policy level. Thus, when a policy is inactive, I can shut down all of my alerts within the policy."
      • "It is complicated, especially in how you interpret the data that it provides. If it had a bit more canned, out-of-the-box features, especially some of the reporting features, that would be more useful."

What is our primary use case?

It monitors all of our services that are running. It also monitors our infrastructure. Therefore, we use it for monitoring, identifying when services go down, or when they are outside of what we would consider normal operations.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to proactively identify failures before they happen. As an example of something in the last week, we had an instance where a volume was filling up on one of our VMs, so we set up a basic alert that if it got to a certain point, it would send me an email. This way, my support team or I could take some action on it and execute a run look. This has prevented failures from occurring in our production environment.

What is most valuable?

The alerts that it provides is one of the most common things that we use. As an example, when a service isn't performing how we anticipated it, either I receive an email or my support team receives an email, then we can take action on it.

What needs improvement?

It is complicated, especially in how you interpret the data that it provides. For someone who works in it every day, I can figure out what I want. For the general, every day developer who uses it once a month, there is large learning curve to figure out exactly the information that they want from it. If it had a bit more canned, out-of-the-box features, especially some of the reporting features, that would be more useful.

Sometimes, it is difficult to work through and figure out. Some things are difficult to work through which is why I haven't done them yet, because it will take me six hours to figure out how to set them up, e.g., the dashboard. How I want it to look and how the developers might want to interpret that data, but I don't have six hours to go figure this out, and it takes a long time to do this stuff.

They have this alerting capability where I can set up an alert policy, then within that alert policy, I can set up as many alerts as I want. I can set up one or I can set up a 1000. I would like a feature where I can turn off alerting at a policy level. Thus, when a policy is inactive, I can shut down all of my alerts within the policy. Right now, I have to go through them manually and deactivate each one that I don't want to use.

I have never seen it be down or unavailable. So, the stability is good.

I've never had an issue with scalability. They have been able to scale and handle everything that we've sent them.

I have used their online support. I don't think I've ever had a phone call from anyone, but I've definitely exchanged some emails with their online support forums, which has worked out well.

We used to use AppDynamics, which is one of their big competitors. I don't exactly know why the switch. We were told to go to New Relic. I think a lot of it had to do with the cost. Possibly, they found New Relic to be a cheaper alternative to AppDynamics.

The configuration and installation were good. New Relic has some very good documentation. Everything in their API is some of the best that I have seen. It wasn't without issues because it's a piece of technology, and we had to figure out how to use it, but everything has worked well.

The issues were working through the documentation and figuring out exactly how to implement on some of the technology.

I did all the configuration, so there is a portion where we install an agent on our infrastructure and on our web services that run. I did all of that configuration. They gave me the account ID and the license to go with it, and I configured that in some of their config files, then I knew exactly where to send the logs to, etc.

Corporate handled the licensing and the purchasing of it, then they gave me a license key. However they configured it is how we use it.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking to evaluate New Relic, compared it to other products, it is very powerful in terms of what it can do. However, it is a complicated to interpret some of the data which is provided with it. There is a trade off if you want to implement this product versus implementing something that is simpler and out-of-the-box, but not obtaining as much depth in what you can learn.

It has some advanced plugins for EngineX, which is a web balancer that we use. So, we do integrate with these, which is a little bit outside of their normal realm. There is also an Apache one that we use. The integration is good. Once you figure out how to install it and read through the documentation, it works as anticipated.

Ben Bays
      Principal Architect at Projekt202
      It has been helpful to patch things before they are a problem

• "We are able to drill down and see what is going on in the system."
      • "It has given us better insight into the performance of the system."
      • "The price needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Monitoring the health of our infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

It has given us better insight into the performance of the system, allowing us to prepare things, if necessary. It has been helpful to patch things before they are a problem.

What is most valuable?

We are able to drill down and see what is going on in the system.

What needs improvement?

The price needs improvement.

Three to five years.

It is on our production workload, so we put a fair amount of stress on it. However, it is sort of self-contained. We do not really have to do much with it.

Size of the environment is 30 VMs which are instrumented with New Relic.

I haven't had any scaling problems with it.

We receive technical support as part of our subscription.

The integration and configuration of the product into our AWS environment was extremely easy.

The pricing and licensing are too high.

We evaluated Dynatrace and a few others. These competitors did not provide as much in-depth information, but they were considered because they were far more cost-effective.

We went with New Relic because it was best of breed.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend to go with New Relic.

It integrated well with Docker. They have Lambda support now, so it has been fairly seamless.

I have only used the AWS version.

Sean Fernandez
      CIO at ROLLER

• "It has in-depth analysis using developer code for someone whose not traditionally a developer."
      • "It gives insights to non-technical people about what technical issues are most important, how much it impacts customers, and potentially, where we should be targeting our development teams when they have time."
      • "They could improve the education process and how people understand that these tools are very technical. Right now, if someone was to pick it up from day one, it is a very steep learning curve."
      • "The monitoring is only as good as the alerts that it produces. By having it set up fine grain alerting, it is a bit of a pain."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is monitoring.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

They could improve the education process and how people understand that these tools are very technical. I understand everything very quickly and where it all comes in because I grew up with the product, but right now if someone was to pick it up from day one, it is a very steep learning curve.

The monitoring is only as good as the alerts that it produces. By having it set up fine grain alerting, it is a bit of a pain. They already have all these other companies that use their system, so they should easily be able do alerts based on deviations that we don't need to program on a per instance or artifact basis.

More than five years.

It has been stable for all our work lines.

So far, I haven't hit any scaling issues with them, and the environments that I have come from have thousands of servers being monitored.

Their technical support has been pretty good.

It was quite hard to integrate, if you weren't technically skilled.

A lot of people who consume this product may not be technically skilled, but if you are, it is easy to use. From this perspective, it is really good, but this is an important aspect as well.

This was recently implemented at the current place that I work. Previously, without a monitoring solution, a developer could potentially spend a day working on a feature or a bug to try and resolve and issue. Now, a lot of the times, with monitoring put in place, we can understand if a customer is actually hitting this bug, and how often they are hitting it, and how much frustration they are dealing with on a day-by-day basis, then reprioritize our tasks. It gives our developers that insight, or it gives less skilled engineers or less technical leads the ability to ramp up quickly on what that particular bug is, so we can easily scale out. So, the cost of solving that problem isn't just reliant on a tech lead understands the system or built the system. Anyone can find the issue, including associates, and the amount of time they spend debugging has been reduced by a lot.

They gave us aggressive discounts when they were brought in for the first time, but they have also kept them for the year-on-year renewals, which has been absolutely fine. Thus, we haven't looked to change.

The pricing and licensing are good if you have an account manager and a partner manager who are looking to help out.

We also evaluated AppDynamics and Dynatrace.

We chose New Relic because they have a slightly different pricing model. We were aggressively negotiating price, which means they gave us a pretty good price. Since then, they have continued upholding that same level of customer service, discounts, and partner level. So, it has been really nice working with them.

What other advice do I have?

You definitely need this product if you want scale and stability.

It fulfills what it's designed to do. Their constant iteration of features means it will always keep us well-informed about that particular requirement about the software.

We are also using New Relic with PagerDuty and Slack. They integrate pretty seamlessly. A couple of button pushes, and it was done.

We are using the SaaS version.

David Campos
      CTO at Elo7
      The infrastructure of New Relic is very stable, and it works well

• "Sometimes, I monitor the user's time of response and use this information to improve the number of servers on the back-end. Or, I can use it to change my back log for front-end developers and improve their response times. It's very important in this case because I can improve the experience of the final user."

What is our primary use case?

I use the product for monitoring many types of metrics, e.g., availability and comparing numbers in relation to products. I evaluate the response time of servers and the product to determine the health of the servers.

How has it helped my organization?

Sometimes, I monitor the user's time of response and use this information to improve the number of servers on the back-end. Or, I can use it to change my back log for front-end developers and improve their response times. It's very important in this case because I can improve the experience of the final user.

What is most valuable?

Time of response for back-end and front-end (user) requests.

What needs improvement?

There is a picture which goes to your browser and it monitors requests from other users. However, it's impossible to use now because the price is very high. The feature is very nice, but I tried it during the trial period, and the current price makes it impossible to use.

More than five years.

The infrastructure of New Relic is very stable, and it works well.

We are using AWS Cloud, and I integrated New Relic with our software, was very simple. It is easy to use the New Relic product, and it is not a hard connection between AWS Cloud and it.

The return of investment is very good.

New Relic browsers are very expensive.

I recommend using the free version of New Relic. If you like the free version and understand its importance for your company, you can move to the trial. Then, you can migrate to the paid version.

I have tried other competitors of New Relic, but the other competitors which I tried were not good. On the other hand, the competitors are cheaper than New Relic.

We chose New Relic because it has all the attributes which we are using to monitor the health of servers.

What other advice do I have?

I use other type of software for database, e.g., MongoDB and GraphQL. It is easy to integrate New Relic with these third-party softwares. I don't spend more than one or two days for integration, as it's very fast. It can monitor our codes and third-party codes in these softwares.

Philip Radovich
        Systems Engineer at Griffin Solutions Group
        It has helped us maintain a much higher uptime than we had previously

What is our primary use case?

We use it for server monitoring and strictly for our EC2 instances.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us maintain a much higher uptime than we had previously. It fulfills the need that we had for the product.

What is most valuable?

Server uptime is its most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

We have had issues with our agents going offline.

The stability has been fine.

Our environment has 25 servers.

The help from the technical support has always been good.

We have to…

What is our primary use case?

We use it for server monitoring and strictly for our EC2 instances.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us maintain a much higher uptime than we had previously.

It fulfills the need that we had for the product.

What is most valuable?

Server uptime is its most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

We have had issues with our agents going offline.

The stability has been fine.

Our environment has 25 servers.

The help from the technical support has always been good.

We have to install an agent on each of our instances.

New Relic was the main product that we looked at.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for this specific type of application to keep a record of your inventory, then it does exactly what it is supposed to do.

We use their cloud version of it.

Kevin Heidt
        Software Developer at Cox Automotive Inc.
        It visualizes metrics well and tracks our incoming requests, providing a lot of detail for troubleshooting

• "It is a one stop shop and integrated with PagerDuty seamlessly. The solution is pretty self-contained."
        • "We would like to receive more AWS-specific details from the New Relic Dashboard, like EC2 health."

What is our primary use case?

• Mostly monitoring
        • Analytics
        • Troubleshooting
        • PagerDuty

How has it helped my organization?

• It visualizes metrics well and tracks our incoming requests, providing a lot of detail which is useful for troubleshooting.
        • It can track cross-application, knowing when you go from one application to another, like a request stop.
        • It's very visually appealing and useful.

What is most valuable?

It is a one stop shop and integrates with PagerDuty seamlessly. The solution is pretty self-contained.

Less than one year.

I haven't seen any problems with it.

Scalability is good. We are using it at an enterprise level and have 20 companies in our corporation.

It has a good presence on the Internet, in terms of support and community. Answers are out there and easy enough to find.

The AWS integration was seamless for us. It was implementing stuff that other people have done so many times before, and the team which headed it up knew what they were doing. From my understanding, there was very minimal configuration. Maybe there was more on the New Relic side, but as far as feeding it, it was pretty easy.

We were also looking at CloudWatch and a homegrown performance-type solution.

We chose New Relic because it is all-inclusive. It has everything right there.

What other advice do I have?

I just starting using it, but the product is pretty impressive.

We are hosting it through AWS.

Luis Miguel Alba
        VAP & IT Planning & Optimization Responsible at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to manage the application flow."
        • "It is stable and scalable."
        • "In addition, its difficult to have a predictive tool to see how the application would behave in the future when it basically only shows the historical data."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is for data application monitor, we used to add some backlogs into the application to see where the progress or the border makes in the process. So far, it is a good program.

What is most valuable?

I think it is the possibility to see the application flow, and gives us suggestions how to manage it. We have a mode we call "influx" where we can see statistics, traffic jams or other important information.

What needs improvement?

I think the APM mode can be improved.

In addition, its difficult to have a predictive tool to see how the application would behave in the future when it basically only shows the historical data.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is very sclable.

We looked at Dynatrace. We analyzed the differences between New Relic and Dynatrace and we realized that New Relic was easier to implement and that our Miami office had experience to do so. They had already started using it there, in the Operations office. So, we went with New Relic.

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion, New Relic is a good tool, and if a colleague was asking my opinion, I would say "Go ahead and use it!" It is a good solution.

it_user342054
        Engineering Manager at Survox
        It revealed where our code was insufficient or needed to be refactored, but most importantly, it told us where we had latency in throughput and response time.

• "The most important thing is that it tells us where the latency in throughput and response time are."

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us keep our customers happy, that’s the bottom line. When it responds the way they expect, they’re happy.

What is most valuable?

It shows us where the bottlenecks are in our code. It was great to reveal where our code was insufficient or needs to be refactored. The most important thing is that it tells us where the latency in throughput and response time are.

What needs improvement?

What we have we’re happy with, but we’re still evaluating.

Very stable. Never had any issues.

Very extensible. Support and QA can look at the parts they care about and that allows for feedback and communication across the teams. It’s been great for our support team.

Never had to contact them.

We knew that we were going to move into SaaS, and these are the kinds of tools we’re going to need to get there.

Very straightforward. In this day and age, that’s what you expect from a service like that. Being able to set my alerts and the thresholds for those alerts is very intuitive.

We look at what it produces – I don’t look at cost. We look at what you can get from the product. If it’s the right tool, it doesn’t matter what it costs because you’re going to get it back many-fold from your productivity.

New Relic was it. We looked at other things we could put together ourselves, but they weren’t the full package. Something like this is all-inclusive; it’s a one-step.

We look for their reputation, how many people are using the solution. When your peers talk about it, you know that’s something you should consider. Knowing also who their customers are and how long they’ve been around is important.

What other advice do I have?

The ease of use, the information you can get out of it from the very little things you do – you get so much out of it. It’s very intuitive. You don’t have to read a manual – you just use it.

Dëvóps Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
          Wonderful product
          APM products are something that needs to be well-tailored to your specific needs and environment. for the project i'm currently working on, we chose new relic after a bakeoff with another vendor. both products were great, but new relic came up on top and we've been very happy with the insights it provides. This review assumes one is familiar with APM and will not cover the basic benefits of New Relic as an APM product. Strong points: New Relic was very easy to deploy and had minimal impact on our environments. Visibility was near-total out of the box and support was extremely helpful in adding the missing instrumentation into the product. New Relic supports a good mix of environments which is important to us as we work with several languages. Support for background tasks is also…

Strong points:

Support for background tasks is also an important feature for us which is usually not as well-covered in other products.

Ken Maier
          Chief Technology Officer (CTO) at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
          We utilize the APM, BROWSER, and INSIGHTS dashboards on a daily basis.

How has it helped my organization?

The New Relic toolset has become part of our SDLC -- reviewing the changes we made for impact to the production environment. It's been a valuable asset to identify areas for improvement in our application.

What is most valuable?

We utilize the APM, BROWSER, and INSIGHTS dashboards on a daily basis to monitor the health and performance of our application.

What needs improvement?

We really love the INSIGHTS query and dashboarding capabilities. It would be great to see this expand even further with more options for querying.

None at all.

10 -- New Relic has been very responsive and helpful when we've had to contact them.... and it was mostly about 'how do I do xxx' and not related to product problems.

10/10

Very easy -- install the agent and reload the dashboard!

In-house

Improved product performance and customer satisfaction.

What other advice do I have?

Don't be hesitant to reach out to New Relic in the pre-sales process to ask questions for help.

CEO at Shared Technologies
          We chose New Relic because of its deep integration with Drupal.

• "As New Relic is already integrated with Drupal, we can get our projects done with best practice and with the best value that we believe in."
          • "Some of our customers see New Relic as a promising product to have, and we would like to deliver it to them. The only way we would be able to do that would be if we had server appliance for clients that we could install in their data centres."

Improvements to My Organization

We are a web development agency, focused on Drupal CMS. As New Relic is already integrated with Drupal, we can get our projects done with best practice and with the best value that we believe in. New Relic provides deep analysis for data and server health so it lets us know of network bottlenecks before we deliver the project to enhance our product. Therefore, we can be sure that we deliver the best value for our customers.

Valuable Features

In our experience, the Server Insights are valuable.

Room for Improvement

We had no issues with the performance.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

9/10

It was easy and we documented all the steps that we took to make it easy for everyone. You need to be a server admin of course to do it, but you don't need much experience to install and run New Relic.

Implementation Team

We did it in-house, you just have to follow the documentation.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It would be nice if we could buy it annually instead of monthly.

Other Solutions Considered

We evaluated many products, and chose New Relic because of its deep integration with Drupal.

Other Advice

If you are using Drupal you should get New Relic. I would say that even if you don't use Drupal, you should get it. New Relic helps us to improve our team quality and to get our projects done with best practices. It will help you get to know everything about your infrastructure.

it_user431808
          DevOps Lead at a consumer goods company with 501-1,000 employees
          We've been able to automate a lot of our interactions with it. I think that there have been some questionable product enhancements, such as new navigation that requires a lot of clicks.

• "It has the ability to monitor random URLs not tied to the one pinger per application (though it costs extra)."
          • "I think that there have been some questionable product enhancements. Over a year ago, New Relic rolled out a new navigation that really disrupted our workflow."

Improvements to My Organization

We've been able to automate a lot of our interactions with it. Also, it has the ability to monitor random URLs not tied to the one pinger per application (though it costs extra).

Room for Improvement

I think that there have been some questionable product enhancements. Over a year ago, New Relic rolled out a new navigation that really disrupted our workflow. It added many more clicks and was surprisingly frustrating. Luckily, that was mostly reverted, but more recently, around six months ago, they redesigned the error reporting page. This is another example of a tool that worked fine, but which is now very hard to use.

About six months to a year ago, we invested a lot of time automating a lot of our interactions with New Relic. However, their API couldn't do a lot of things, and even getting a list of errors was impossible without scrubbing every application/server manually and checking health conditions yourself. This seems very basic. While they have made a new API version, we've had difficulty with that as well.

Additionally, I'm told that they will deprecate completely the old API, which now means I need to reimplement everything that was working in this new version.

Use of Solution

Three to five years.

It's been a stable product. We haven't had any issues with instability.

It's scaled for our needs. We haven't had any issues with scalability.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Cost is significant with a lot of extras. For instance, another big negative point is the inability to monitor random URLs not tied to the one pinger per application. They've added it which is great, but now it costs extra for using it in any real capacity.

Naftali Marcus
          CTO at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
          It allows us to pinpoint pages that require fixes to improve the user experience, and while it provides statistics, it doesn't give enough information about what to do with them.

• "They instrument up from the bottom to the top – every piece of code - they have a very perfect read of what’s being done, and how long it’s taking."
          • "It gives you amazing statistics, but doesn’t give you enough information about what to do with the statistics."

How has it helped my organization?

The website is much more responsive because we are able to quickly pinpoint the worst pages – we can be really targeted with where we put our resources. In a lot of areas, one page takes one minute, the next can be ten, then some take one, some take 30 seconds. You have to decide at what point you want to focus, this allows us to find the pages that are really painful for users, and fix those and make them a lot better.

What is most valuable?

It’s absolutely the ability to get a really specific read of what is taking up time. For example, if a webpage takes two minutes to load it tells you why it’s taking so long.

They instrument up from the bottom to the top – every piece of code - they have a very perfect read of what’s being done, and how long it’s taking. And, a super nice way of presenting that.

What needs improvement?

It gives you amazing statistics, but doesn’t give you enough information about what to do with the statistics. The sales people need to be on board on this end.

There were no issues.

From a point of view of showing you what to do fine but in terms of showing you what to do with the data infuriatingly unhelpful. Very friendly and available however.

There was no solution in place previously.

We implemented in-house.

It was able to really effectively find the problem and solve it – it sped up the pages considerably.

The monthly cost os $1000 per server per month, but it could be even more. We pay about $250 for the server, and then New Relic wants over $1000 to give us statistics on those servers.

The alternative is to do UNIX profiling. Basically, you do it piecemeal, and amongst those piecemeal solutions is also browser profiling, and it’s really hard to justify. We thought about it, as if you’re a relatively small company New Relic is expensive, but it's way better than that. The price point is an issue so we turn it on and off when we need it. Not a great solution for a start-up.

Sr. Hybris Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
          The Insights module creates a real-time dashboard on application performance to create awareness for the DevOps team.

• "The most valuable feature is the New Relic APM module to deep-dive into the application, to get bottlenecks to the surface, and to improve application performance. Also, the New Relic Insights module creates a real-time dashboard on application performance to create awareness for the DevOps team."
          • "They need to improve the alerting and dashboarding as these are the key features in DevOps."

Improvements to My Organization

With the help of New Relic APM, we managed to deliver an online B2B application with average response times below two seconds, where with v6, the average response times was about 30 seconds.

Room for Improvement

Once we had stability issues when the New Relic agent was overwhelming the IIS process, but that was a long time ago. We spoke to New Relic, and they delivered an agent to fix the problem.

We've not had any issues scaling it. We work with Java, and the agent is easily implemented.

Many times, they have been of great help even though support is in America and we are in Europe; we get help within eight hours.

The support department has good technical knowledge and is customer-friendly. Even if you don't answer their follow-up questions, the issue is resolved.

The setup is really straightforward. Install a server agent on the operation system, and install an application agent in the application.

Implementation Team

We developed in-house and also maintain the developed application.

ROI

I don't have actual numbers, but as we improved the quality of the application, we received less incidences compared to applications without New Relic.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

New Relic is either free with low retention and minimal functionalities, or expensive with full options and retention. I suggest a pricing between.

Other Solutions Considered

We did investigate other software, such as Ruxit and AppDynamics, but the price and quality of New Relic made us choose New Relic.

Other Advice

I think all online applications need to have APM software implemented to actually knów the performance state of the application.

it_user344535
          Information Technology Director at Ontegrity

Valuable Features

The ability to trace transactions all the way down to find where the software is broken - database, web services, etc., and all the way down, with the trace dumps, to see where our application is broken.

When our app passes critical threshold, can quickly go to Transactions and/or Database views and immediately see the code areas causing the issue. Saves so much time in debugging our code and environments.

Improvements to My Organization

I can have my developers find bugs and fix them in one-tenth of time they used to take. It enables the stability of our product, and it's allowed me to keep human resources at a minimum so that we have a smaller number of people to do better things.

Room for Improvement

In Alert History, while you can see the trending in response time by Request Queuing, .NER CLR and Database, if you had the ability to see which transaction type was the slowest during the timeframe when the critical error occurred by displaying the info within the same “tool tip” hover window which currently gives me the time per request and number of transactions, i.e., if it had the additional correlation information of “StatusCode/403” which you can get from the Events Errors hover. This has the potential of saving a lot of analysis time going back and forth between views.

We didn't have any deployment issues.

I haven’t had any issues with stability.

It’s scaled for us. We’re still relatively small with just 16 servers.

When my IT manager did the initial install, they were very responsive.

It was straightforward, but the issue was the unfamiliarity of our IT manager outside the Microsoft world.

Other Advice

If you want to save money, go for it. Time is money, and it saves you so much time to be able to find issues and to fix them.

it_user344553
          SQA Manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Mean time to recovery has improved, leading to cost savings, though the data collection on it is not a long enough period of time if I want to see trends beyond seven days.

Valuable Features

The thing I use the most is the ability to tell at a glance that we’re in a red state. We have dashboards around our office which let me know what I need to pay attention to. I can dig into the error. It also has high throughput.

Improvements to My Organization

Mean time to recovery has improved, leading to cost savings and reduced customer dissatisfaction.

Room for Improvement

One of my issues was with not getting enough insight into errors, as I can only go back seven days. The data collection on it is not a long enough period of time if I want to see some trends. If someone is having some errors, I can’t get historical insight.

We had a problem where our application crashed because of New Relic. They acknowledged the problem and we just had to turn it off for six months.

It’s been scaling along with our growth.

Great tech support, very responsive. Have helped us solve problems.

I wasn't involved.

Other Advice

It’s just so easy to set up and use with little training. The barrier to entry is extremely low and it adds a high-value.

it_user347676
          Director of IT/Operations at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
          Implementing it with our app servers gave us visibility into our Java code and JVMs during user issues. Yet, Synthetics would be more useful if it didn't have to learn another analytics language.

What is most valuable?

The APM Transaction monitoring is the most valuable feature. Being able to define key transactions and collect traces has been essential to providing actionable data for fixes and improvements.

How has it helped my organization?

Early in our app lifecycle we would receive random reports of slow response times from users. Of course, they were never reproducible in our QA environments nor did our OS-specific monitoring tools show any problems. Implementing the APM with our app servers gave us visibility into what our Java code and JVMs were doing at the time users had problems. This allowed us to zero in on infrastructure and code issues as well as implement monitoring cases specific to our app.

What needs improvement?

Last year, there were several New Relic outages where alerts were either fired in error or not fired at all. These have been remedied over the last year, but it negatively impacted our trust in using New Relic as our sole source of analysis and alerting.

As far as suggested improvements, the Synthetics module could be much more useful if one did not have to learn yet another analytics query language.

I have used New Relic in production since mid-2013.

Since we use a 1.x version of Play Framework, there were some initial challenges in implementing the Java APM agent. The later versions of the agent have drastically improved since then and deployments are considerably less cumbersome.

The aforementioned outages and issues were vexing but, fortunately, are well in the past.

Generally excellent.

Generally excellent.

New Relic was an add-on to our existing operations analytics systems. We selected New Relic solely on the basis of the application monitoring feature which our existing systems did not provide.

Once we overcame the challenges of implementing the early Java agent, the remainder of the implementation was effortless. We had 90% functionality within the first 12 hours of implementation.

I performed the implementation personally.

At our usage level, the cost has been trivial compared to our overall operations monthly costs. What the product has done for us was expedite our ability to discover actionable data that led directly to improvements in our app which would have taken considerable longer if we'd had to build similar functionality ourselves.

Whilst it may be tempting to instrument all of your production and non-production environments, this is a tool that is best used where appropriate, rather than as a blanket deployment.

We evaluated building similar functionality ourselves using open source JVM monitoring and log analysis tools. We also evaluated a few semi-competitors. The home-brewed solution would have required additional engineering staff and a much longer build time. The also-ran services were astronomically more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great tool for monitoring infrastructure and application performance. The only drawbacks have been cost and a few issues with outages and monitoring/alerting failures.

it_user342744
          Director of Corporate and Software Development at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
          It gives us instant feedback on incidences causing the biggest performance hits. However, alerts for alerting the appropriate people when something goes wrong are not quite there yet.

What is most valuable?

I think the downtime alerts as well as the insight into performance killers from database queries are the most valuable feature for us.

How has it helped my organization?

I think that we didn’t have much insight into which things were causing the biggest performance hits, so it gave us instant feedback on incidents which may have caused users enough pain.

What needs improvement?

They have integrated alert and performance monitoring which they’re rolling out as a beta now. A lot of the features for application monitoring and uptime, and alerts for alerting the appropriate people when something goes wrong are not quite there yet.

We’ve never had any problems whatsoever.

It’s been useful as we’ve grown our user base; we haven’t had any scalability issues. We’ve done tens of thousands rather than tens of millions of transactions.

I’ve only used it a couple of times. They escalated the issues appropriately and it always seemed like someone who understood the issue jumped on the ticket, and we’ve had the issued resolved in a timely fashion.

We were previously using nothing else. We were reading through logs trying to interpret our own data, which was challenging. Someone suggested New Relic and we went with it right after; they’re the only player in town for this sort of environment.

The initial ground level setup was very easy, very intuitive, and went very quickly. Some of the more advanced features did require a lot of review of their documentation and a few support tickets to figure out.

I think documentation is probably key for us, and then support. Reputation and long-term relationship doesn’t matter so much if they have a good product. For this product we didn’t really have a viable alternative. We couldn’t find anybody else who did something similar.

What other advice do I have?

We’re very satisfied with it. We had a little difficulty plugging in some more of the advanced features. It’s so big and so complex, but New Relic does invest in education.

This is the best tool for gaining insight into SaaS or cloud-based applications that we’ve seen. Unless you’re going to roll your own solution, you pretty much have to use them.

it_user344805
          Lead Software Architrect at a retailer with 51-200 employees
          It gives us a good digest of how the system is behaving and being able to diagnose any issues, though I'd like more granularity in the charts.

Valuable Features

Stack traces are the most valuable feature for us. We have a monolithic stack and just having a single place to get product track traces is incredibly valuable. We use all the charts and graphs, but it all comes down to getting stack traces to see how code is flowing.

Improvements to My Organization

We’re able to address events immediately. We have very good uptime and customer retention. So it’s all about giving them the best customer experience. It gives us a good digest of how the system is behaving and being able to diagnose any issues.

Room for Improvement

I’m into very dense charts, and I think the charts used throughout APM are a little low resolution in terms of time points across the X axis. I'd like more granularity.

Used to be fairly slow, but it’s gotten a lot faster. It's industry-leading, the most responsive full suite of tools that I’ve used.

We’ve been able to brainlessly scale.

We've never had to use it.

Implementation Team

We set it up through Heroku.

Other Advice

Install it. Doesn’t take up any extra resources or any time to install.

it_user348063
          IT Manager at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
          It gives us enough knowledge to know where to improve things on the database side, although sometimes it requires too much drilling down to find out about a problem.

Valuable Features

It gives us insight into several areas--

• Where slowdowns are,
          • Which of our customers is hitting us most, and
          • If there’s an application issue on the database side, how long a query takes.

Improvements to My Organization

It gives us enough knowledge to know where to improve things on the database side, or to make improvements in the application logic.

Room for Improvement

I don't have any suggestions for improvements, but we think sometimes it’s too difficult to get more details about a problem. Sometimes it requires too much drilling down to find out about a problem for which we shouldn't need to do so much searching.

No problems whatsoever with deploying APM.

It seems pretty stable, although there are times when it is not available.

Seems to be pretty good on scalability and it’s easy to install into our applications.

We haven’t had any issues needing to involve their technical support.

It was already in the environment when I joined, but I can't imagine that setup would have been anything but straightforward.

it_user345018
          DevOps Architect at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
          It's helped with a lot of troubleshooting of performance issues and with code problems, where we deploy something and it's performing slowly.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable feature for us is the ability to see what is going on with the apps on our web server. We can monitor the response times, throughput, what transactions are fast or slow, and what's being hit more than others.

Improvements to My Organization:

In the past, we had to look at server metrics such as CPU and the number of connections. With APM, we can see much more about what it's doing. It's helped with a lot of troubleshooting of performance issues. It's also helped with code problems, where we deploy something and it's performing slowly. It helps us see the problem in the web app, database, rendering, etc.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We encountered no issues with instability.

Scalability Issues:

It scaled well, as we just need to add a new agent onto the box when we add a server. Also, it's been helpful in determining when we need to scale up by looking at the metrics.

it_user345000
          Senior Software Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
          It's helped us to find problems early and to make sure that what we're doing is working, although it doesn't give us rich process tracing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us are--

• Real-time monitoring
          • The interface
          • The look and feel
          • We can check the environment periodically throughout the day
          • Good forensics tool if there's an issue

How has it helped my organization?

We can monitor response times, volume, and Apdex. Our alerting is based on Apdex. It's a great sanity check. It's helped us to find problems early and to make sure that what we're doing is working.

I'm on a small team and have an interaction with the Ops teams only when a negative happens, but I've used it a couple of times to pass problems from my plate to someone else's as I've proved it's not my problem.

What needs improvement?

It doesn't give us rich process tracing, which is the only complaint I have. It divides our system into four parts, and I would like it to go deeper into the code. However, this can be a challenge because of the way it is configured with us, but they are working on it.

It's fantastic, with no bugs or lag.

It scales, and I can't speak about this, but we are moving everything to AWS and it should be fine.

I've never needed them, and the one issue I had, our Ops guys told me what to do.

I would just advise you to use the tool.

It was already in place when I joined.

it_user344943
          Senior IT Operations Manager at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features to us are--

• Measuring performance from the applications point view against the view of the customer's browser,
          • Being able to troubleshoot issues due to an app or network issue, and
          • The error rate is helpful in finding issues in the server pool.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us troubleshoot issues quicker, and when we're using it for performance analysis, several items can boil to the top. We can look at what's going on and what's slow and causing problems, instead of looking in general at which queries or operations are causing slowness.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of much to improve. We're very used to the way it looks and the traces. It's much better than it used to be, but perhaps the retention on some of the old problem traces would be an improvement. I think they run out after a relatively short amount of time and being able to look back and spot check some of them. If we have a problem today, it would be nice to look at back at the traces by, say, a week or a month even if there wasn't a problem then, so we can compare whether it's relatively slow or it suddenly become slow.

But I think the data layout is great as everything you need is at the top and we can able to drill down further and further to individual server,s or into the error rate and individual transactions.

The code is great. We don't have any issues, and I think that's the majority of New Relic customers. You have issues with your first customers, fix the issues, and then leave it alone until the next issue comes along.

Our track record is the same, we used it, troubleshot it, and then the developers fixed it.

I think we're finding more and more ways to use it. Because of plug-ins, we are pushing as much information in front of the app to the developers. I think too many companies end up with too many tools, but with New Relic, we want to keep in front of our developers all the time.

We've had to contact tech support several times, and each time they've been great. Their one-time survey call is good.

We've been using AppDynamics alongside New Relic. We had issues finding some problems, so we brought in AppDynamics and were able to dive further in, but after about six months, New Relic traces we're exactly as in-depth and usable. We were pretty confident with New Relic, and brought AppDynamics in to dive deeper, but their interface was Flash, which was slow and not nice.

Everything else about New Relic was nice. We could put different pieces of data in front of the developers, which is nice. They don't have as much information as we do in Ops from our other tools, but they get just the right amount of information to see where the bottlenecks are.

It was quick and simple. Always, whenever we look at a product, including ours, we've got in the back of our heads, what's the mean time to pretty graph? How quick is it to get data in front of you and that's usable? Within minutes we were able to get the information, and the first hour was great with New Relic.

What other advice do I have?

When we're looking at new products, we look at whether the product works, how it works. Doing tests that are long enough is hard as no one wants to spend the time doing it, so I try to make sure that it won't take more than 14 days to set up correctly. If it's important enough, then the trials will be done.

It is one of the things that helps DevOps work in our organization and has helped stop finger pointing. It gives both sides enough info to help point us in the right direction of finding where an issue is. It gives us the insight into production to developers that operations doesn't want developers to have, and it allows them to use it all the time.

it_user344877
          Problem Manager at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
          We can see how deployments affect the application, both good and bad. And although it constantly aggregates data so it’s not a real-time indication, they recognize and are looking to solve the issue.

Valuable Features

The overview itself provides us clear visibility of how applications are doing, and provides us our response times, data rates, and Apdex score.

Improvements to My Organization

We’re able to see how deployments are affecting the application, both good and bad. APM surely shows us the change in behavior. It lets us know how our application is doing. A lot of our information comes from trouble tickets, and we can correlate back to APM to see what’s going. It’s not so accurate, but it has to do with the data integration, but New Relic has said that it’ll give more data points and real-time data.

Room for Improvement

We always talk about, what is the data missing from New Relic? It constantly aggregates data so it’s not a true indication of how our application is doing. It’s not real-time. That was my concern, but after data presented by their CEO at Futurestack, they announced that they recognize the issue and are looking into solving it.

For New Relic in general, the mobile site doesn’t have single sign-on for iOS.

I haven’t noticed any issues. There may have been a couple of instances two years ago when New Relic stopped reporting data, but nothing that I know of since then.

We are using APM to use capacity planning, and the info we get has been able to help us.

We had an issue two years ago, and they were responsive and solved the issue.

I wasn't involved in the setup.

Other Advice

It loses points because our applications are running on Ruby on Rails, and our tech stack is not up to date, so there are some glitches integrating with APM. I'd like to see a fix for that.

Other than that, just go for it, you won’t regret it.

it_user344856
          Sr. Principal at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
          It gives us the ability to train our people and provide a more responsive application, but the mapping between applications to servers is not very intuitive.

Valuable Features

I've found the most valuable feature to be--

• Being able to drill down to see data, and
          • Being able to capture all the timing information and different functions.

Improvements to My Organization

It comes in as part of the regular process for every application roll-out. We have a standard visibility process for any application that rolls out. It gives us the ability to train our people and provide a more responsive application. We used to have many tools with many different functions, and now APM allows us to consolidate a lot of it.

Room for Improvement

The mapping between applications to servers is not very intuitive.

Another thing we come across is that our technology just doesn’t have reporting to New Relic, but that can be addressed with a plugin/SDK. However, we can’t really make the case to put in the investment to have that happen yet.

Another thing is that we’re micro-service based, and the New Relic interface only gives us views into the top 100 services out of 50,000. Typically when we monitor our system, we use a heat map, and New Relic only provides us the second-level view of that. Ideally, it would also provide us the first-level view. Eventually, we’d like New Relic to step up to do that.

Finally, it should ideally do two things -

1. Isolate the problem right away without the user having to do a lot of analysis. Right now, New Relic provides a lot of data points that require me to go in to understand.
          2. It has its own dashboard, and I’d like to be able to bring that/integrate it into our own system (use an API to pull out data).

Sometimes when we pull data from New Relic, we time-out or drop data, and we can see when that happens, but we're not sure if it’s us or them.

Also, the alerting system has trouble with large alerts that come up slowly, requiring the operator to know the system well (yellow, red, orange) and to know what the alerts mean.

It hasn’t scaled quite right now. We use another tool for out-of-gate view. Currently, we manage about 60,000 servers in total and we don’t have a good roll-up view of the entire system. The application on the server side is OK. We use other tools to monitor the environment.

So far, the interactions have been good, and they keep us in the loop as to what’s been done. In terms of the solution, it’s just OK.

I wasn't involved in the setup.

Other Advice

Engage the development community within the company early, and request an integration tool to make implementation easy.

it_user344799
          Lead Developer at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          We can see exactly what’s going on and are able to understand what code paths are running, though I'd like dashboard customization to display collection jobs and how they break out one by one.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature is the transparency into how applications are running. That’s huge because we previously didn’t have it and we had no idea what was going on. Now, we can see exactly what’s going on and are able to understand what code paths are running. That stuff is hugely beneficial to us.

Improvements to My Organization

The biggest thing is being able to give our customers a world-class experience. As we’re in media, this means things like hockey results, election results, favorite TV shows, etc. We’re able to cover all our bases to make sure our customers get what they love.

Room for Improvement

When I look at APM now, it’s very web-centric, but we have certain infrastructure components that are very service-based which take data from one area to another. With APM, it’s a little difficult to fit into that. So, what I’d like to see is the ability for the dashboard to be customized where it can display collection jobs and how they break out one by one.

It also needs some web UI tweaks. It’ll be interesting to see where it evolves with the “analytics everywhere” theme and incorporation of all the other items.

There are no stability problems. There have been slow points where data loads slowly, but it can be solved just by clicking refresh. No problems with agents crashing or not reporting data. So no reason for me to worry about its stability. I never have to worry about not collecting data.

It’s scaled to all our needs. We have apps for on-site and in-cloud, and it’s worked well for both.

We haven’t had to reach out yet, and hopefully things keep going smoothly.

Other Advice

It’s easy to use, has a low barrier of entry, you can craft custom instrumentations, and craft your own metrics to get your own details out of it.

it_user344784
          Sr. Ops engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
          It provides us a clear understanding of where the problems are and so the people responsible can solve the issues, although the stack traces don’t go far enough, ending in just a question mark.

Valuable Features

For the way we use it, we like the monitoring of websites and it allows us to look at the trace stacks to identify problems. We’re also able to compare the day and the week before to see whether problems are reoccurring.

Improvements to My Organization

Before New Relic, dev and ops were separate, and now they’ve come together more and there’s less finger-pointing. There’s a clear understanding of where the problems are and so the people responsible can solve the issues. There’s more trust between the two groups and people are more willing to work together.

Room for Improvement

Stack traces don’t go far enough. They get to a point, indicate a question mark, and then stop. But New Relic is working on it. Also, one can get lost in the data.

Use of Solution

We’ve been using it for two to two and a half year.

We've had one or two occasions of a few wide spaces in the graphs where the response time didn’t keep up. Sometime it’s a bit slow in processing data, but now it’s much faster and more stable with new releases. Some of the releases I think are already there in production.

We’ve been able to scale without issue. We’ve installed it and it works.

I haven’t had to use technical support. When we decided to use it, our CTO went to FutureStack and got a lot of knowledge.

So easy, very straightforward. Our developers, at the beginning, created some templates for data they wanted to track and that was it.

Other Advice

Just go for it. When I show people what it can do, it’s mind boggling. What’s coming up in the new release -- wow!

it_user344568
          DevOps Engineer at Cvent
          I can drill down and see what’s happening in real-time, but I'd like second-by-second monitoring, instead of a five-minute lag time.

Valuable Features

Real-time error monitoring means I can drill down and see what’s happening. It allows me to see what my latency is while it’s going on.

Improvements to My Organization

The data visualization is easy to read. Better yet, it's easy to show other people the visualizations.

Room for Improvement

I'd like second-by-second monitoring, instead of a five-minute lag time.

It's good, though there was just one instance where the agent had a problem, but it was quick to remedy.

No issues encountered with scalability.

I found a bug and they gave us a work around, and a week later, they released a patch.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup.

Other Advice

I would like…

Improvements to My Organization

Room for Improvement

I'd like second-by-second monitoring, instead of a five-minute lag time.

No issues encountered with scalability.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup.

Other Advice

I would like to see the platform extended further.

it_user344571
          Operations, Android engineer at Cvent
          We're all privy to data at the same time, whereas before we only had siloed views that provided limited data. However, it needs ways to extract data to other platforms such as mobile.

Valuable Features

It’s fast! I have a tab open all the time and I don’t have to refresh the page, I just glance at it. It provides easily digestible information.

Improvements to My Organization

We all look at the data, so we are all privy to the data at the same time. Before, we only had siloed views that provided limited data.

Room for Improvement

• Slack-integration
          • JIRA integration for ticket creation
          • It needs ways to extract data to other platforms such as mobile. The docs in API and dashboards seem to be a little behind and overly verbose, I don’t want to have to jump back and forth.

There's no problem with stability, but I had one annoying problem where I wasn’t part of the right group, but New Relic fixed it for me.

We don't have much experience with scaling it, but we've been able to scale to a mobile platform.

We've had good experiences with technical support.

it_user344559
          Devops Engineer at Cvent
          It's given us the ability for anyone to know how our customers experience our application, although it would be nice to have a way to pull charts and data into third-party services.

Valuable Features

It allows us to break up the bands of types of responses you get, such as database and external transactions.

Improvements to My Organization

It's given us the ability for anyone to know how our customers experience our application.

Room for Improvement

I'd like a way to pull charts and data into third-party services. If we can pull that data and recreate charts, that would be great. There are also a couple UX/UI inconveniences, as some of the graphs take a sharp drop down because they haven't gotten data yet.

It's fairly stable, but there were some issues every once in a while, but New Relic is very quick to put notifications out.

It's no problem, we’ve gone through adding services and have had no issue scaling. …

Room for Improvement

We've only had good experiences.

it_user344544
          Sr. Software Engineer, DevOps at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

There are many things, but in particular I like the real-time monitoring. We get to know when a specific service or specific URL is failing and not performing. We can set certain delivery thresholds, which, if broken, we hear about it immediately.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to monitor in our little part of the company, but it plays a role in the larger functioning of the company because we have our hand in so many areas.

What needs improvement?

Nothing. There’s not really anything I don’t like about it.

It’s generally stable, but last year it was a little flaky. It wasn’t as responsible as it should have been, as sometimes you would lose some things that you’d worked on, but very few incidences. But currently the newer version is very stable.

It's scalable, but it comes with a price.

I used tech support a while back, but I can’t remember if it was a positive or negative experience. We only had a small issue. But they’ve improved a lot in terms of a larger knowledge base and the usability of the solution itself has improved.

No previous solution was used.

I was not involved as it was already set up when I came. At my previous company two years ago, I helped set up, and it was a little bit of a hassle, but it was a different platform (Java). Now it's nodes.

Licensing is based on scale.

What other advice do I have?

It depends on your business, but it's a very useful tool. If you're in the web, you probably need it.

it_user344532
          DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
          Developers and operations people can look at the same data, but, although rare, there have been some times where it failed to record something.

Valuable Features

Transactions overview - we can track the slowest ones to see where the problems occur. It’s the first place we look for problems.

Improvements to My Organization

Both developers and operations people can look at the same data, and that’s a great benefit. Operations can monitor, as they’re also in charge of the website, and developers can use it to see code changes.

Room for Improvement

It could be faster, but they’re already working on making this.

Quite stable. There have been some times where it failed to record something, but those were rare. Pretty reliable.

Improvements to My Organization

Room for Improvement

It could be faster, but they’re already working on making this.

No performance issues when scaling. We don’t need to care about scaling it as it monitors our system. You just put an agent in the server and New Relic takes care of the scaling to provide you with the data.

Haven’t had to use it as the product is quite easy to use. Also, the documentation is also very clear in how to use the API, etc.

Other Advice

Just do it.

it_user344508
          Senior Software Engineer at a retailer with 51-200 employees
          It provides us with less debugging response time and alert notifications, although I wish it had more insight into what might be causing a particular slowness issue.

What is most valuable?

It shows you what’s going on, but we had to do custom instrumentation ourselves.

How has it helped my organization?

• Debugging response time is less
          • Alert notifications and alert summaries

What needs improvement?

• I wish it had more insight into what might be causing a particular slowness issue. It finds the function, but it would be great to have insight into what’s slow.
          • More instrumentation.
          • Also, it would be good to compare machine state to machine state (compare versions of UNIX, Ruby, and libraries) and be able to perform auditing of machines.

Never needed it.

The decision was why not to have it (cost?) not why to have it.

What other advice do I have?

New Relic is great for DevOps and for a company that expects developers to do their own operations. For specialists they tend to have their own instrumentation tools.

it_user344502
          Linux Systems Administrator, Operations at a real estate/law firm with 501-1,000 employees
          ​From an ops standpoint, we can know and pinpoint what the problem is. It would be better if they'd add monitoring on the ops-server side.

Valuable Features

It is easy to set up from scratch, as you don’t need resources. Also, the response time and PHP are valuable.

Improvements to My Organization

From an ops standpoint, we can know and pinpoint what the problem is. We're excited by down-to-the-server performance, as this was missing before.

Room for Improvement

If they added the monitoring to the ops-server side, it would be better.

Use of Solution

We're using it alongside Insights for about three years, and heavily for the past two years. We had logic monitor that helped us at server level.

We're moving our infrastructure to AWS, as they are integrated with it.

No issues with tech support.

It was easy.

Other Advice

It's…

Valuable Features

It is easy to set up from scratch, as you don’t need resources.

Also, the response time and PHP are valuable.

Improvements to My Organization

Room for Improvement

If they added the monitoring to the ops-server side, it would be better.

Use of Solution

We're moving our infrastructure to AWS, as they are integrated with it.

No issues with tech support.

It was easy.

Other Advice

It's easy to deploy and maintain, and all bugs can be handled.

it_user343479
          Vice President of Technology - Media at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
          It solves a lot of the problems that we’re looking for in the interactions between system components and micro services.

What is most valuable?

This is an awesome APM, and solves a lot of the problems that were in the interactions between system components and micro services, to see how the system between the backend, middle tier, and front-end works.

It provides diverse middle-tier Insights through the entire execution landscape and actionable data. Some give you alerts and logs, but to figure out what to do with that is New Relics strength.

How has it helped my organization?

The browser functionality gives view activity on the client, JS errors, in the same view as the rest of the APM allows us to solve these things quickly.

What needs improvement?

One issue is cost.

We looked into other solutions. SumoLogic does other kinds of log aggregation. Maybe Splunk. LogAnalytics. Rigor is a competitor to their Synthetic.

Because they have a lot of new functionality, to get an ROI we use an open source solution that they give us, GA monitor.

They have a price desk who can be negotiated with.

it_user343470
          Software Engineer at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
          ​The monitoring and alerts for servers is good, but it would be nice if it was easier to hand off to clients.

Valuable Features:

The monitoring and alerts for servers Memory Disk space CPU

Improvements to My Organization:

We use it at our clients' sites. We own all our dev servers, and then hand them off to our clients.  Then, with our micro-services, we have basic analytics. It is super simple to set up.

Room for Improvement:

If we can find a way to communicate the need to use it, we use it, but we want a way to hand it off to our clients easily. There are other solutions out there.

Valuable Features:

• The monitoring and alerts for servers
          • Memory
          • Disk space
          • CPU

it_user343464
          Senior Software Systems Engineer - Digital Experience at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
          It gives us one view over all our assets, and though I'd like to get more granular data, this may be coming in Insights.

Valuable Features:

The application performance and monitoring. That’s the biggest thing for us as we previously just had a hodge-podge.

New Relic gives us one view over all our assets. It lets us judge the servers and get a peek at the applications, to figure out if there are any errors.

Improvements to My Organization:

We can make sure sites are up and running and that they’re performing normally. If we see any spikes we can troubleshoot – if they’re in house or in the cloud. Sometimes we can get to the systems faster because of the insights.

Room for Improvement:

The one thing I really wanted to see was to getting more granular with the data, which may be coming in Insights. Being able to say, “What is the customer funnel? Where are they going to my site? How deep are they going?” At least from the demo it seems like they’re doing this in Insights.

Very stable. No issues.

Initial Setup:

It was already in production when I joined, but rarely used. Our group and our web assets decided to utilize it after a three month evaluation. We did it just for one application, but now have it installed across the board.

Other Advice:

We’re still evaluating it since it’s relatively new in our environment. Make sure you understand the cost structure and that the solution will work across multiple OSs.

it_user343407
          DevOps Engineer at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
          It captures the issue so we don’t have to reproduce it, but it needs synchronous calls, which New Relic says is on the way.

What is most valuable?

Insights with key transactions and response time, to understand which calls take the longest and where the bottlenecks are.

How has it helped my organization?

Troubleshooting and identifying problems since were a cloud based solution. It captures the issue so we don’t have to reproduce the issue, as it saves us that step and from having to RDP into the machine. Helps us identify flaws in the code, ex. A very that was inefficient in the code we identified

What needs improvement?

More instruments with .NET and asynchronous calls, and New Relic says it’s on the way.

No reason to worry.

Also good, no worries. Baked into the code a deploy time.

They’ve been helpful and are knowledgeable

There was no previous solution in place and we realise that without it we were flying blind, so we needed it.

We also look at AppDynamics, DataDog, and a few other teams, but they weren’t as in depth. We looked for ease of use, and the amount of clues it could add to our platform and to the DevOps team.

What other advice do I have?

If they did the asynchronous and stepped up with .NET ease of use it would be 10/10.

it_user342795
          Senior QA Lead/Product Manager at Ontegrity
          Since we are a small team, one person can set up alerts for three instances, and other instances in UAT, test, and QA environment. I'm waiting for analytics, which they are adding.

Valuable Features:

We have service in multiple countries, so the monitoring and alerts are valuable features for us.

Given that the size of the team is small and we have one infrastructure engineer, it’s good that we constantly get alerts if something is going wrong somewhere. You see the spikes. Since we are a small team, one person can set up alerts for three instances, and other instances in UAT, test, and QA environment.

Improvements to My Organization:

First of all, it tells us loopholes in our system. The whole error-reporting thing lets us identify problems faster so we can take corrective action sooner. We can think about performance of certain code that’s been written, so we can take preventative actions.

Room for Improvement:

They’re adding analytics, geo analytics, more mobile app monitoring. They have the data explorer – all those features will really help.

Stability Issues:

In the last year I’ve never seen APM go down.

Initial Setup:

APM was already in production when I joined the company.

Other Solutions Considered:

I think we also looked at one or two. The first one we tried was New Relic. The reputation of the vendor – we decided to give New Relic a try after hearing about how it was used to fix the Affordable Care Act implementation. That’s how we heard about New Relic. We needed to set up monitoring and alert – when we saw New Relic we liked it and its ease of setup. We gave it a 30-day trial, and after that there was no looking back.

Other Advice:

The error analytics thing – we always wanted that. This is something that is coming up in December. Geoanalytics will be super helpful. There’s always room for improvement, and they’re still getting there coming up with new ideas to make it super comfortable.

If they don’t want to build something on their own (and it all depends on company size, resources, etc.), an APM solution is the right answer. Given we have only one infrastructure guy and he can manage all of this, and a small team, everyone can use it all for different purposes. Stress testing, load testing, and evaluating performance. Each team has different ideas about how to use the reports, so it’s good for everybody. Different skillset people can use the entire NR suite for different reasons. It’s the whole package.

it_user342789
          DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees

Valuable Features

The most valuable features for us are:

• Application performance index score
          • Error rate
          • Transaction traces

Improvements to My Organization

When an app goes down, we can get insights into the issue with New Relic. It tells us what the problem is. For example, if there is an issue in the code, we see a spike in the error rate in the applications. The load environment lets us stress test our application to find the bottlenecks in the code.

Room for Improvement

They already have everything we need, so I can't suggest an improvement.

I was not involved with deployment.

Very stable. No problems.

No problems.

One issue – there is no option for live chat or phone support. We can go to the community forum to post a question and wait for the answer.

The solution was already in production when I got to the company.

Other Advice

New Relic is the right solution in my opinion. The light version of server monitoring is free with New Relic, and application performance index and error rate are the key features to look into.

it_user342780
          Senior Software Engineer Team Lead at THE ICONIC
          We have custom insights dashboards – massive screens with all this information aggregated. There were some CSS issues where sometimes the CSS wasn’t rendering, but they seem to have overcome those.

Valuable Features

Debugging tools, as we’re huge on this. Being able to drill down into what’s actually going on with our stack, being able to see the performance issues, where our bottlenecks are.

We do continuous deployment and delivery. One of the things that’s useful is to be able to detect when we deploy bugs and issues into the live platform – error reports are hugely useful.

Throughput, apex, those kinds of things, so we can always see what’s going on. The New Relic Browser also gives us the front-end reporting, versus APM on the back-end.

Improvements to My Organization

Speed to issue resolution – making sure our stack is healthy. If someone reports an issue we’ll always go to New Relic first; that’s where it becomes a good product in and of itself. It gives us all the information we need in one place.

A few issues in the past; there were some CSS issues where sometimes the CSS wasn’t rendering, but they seem to have overcome those. I’ve never experienced downtime which is impressive.

We use the APM scalability tools; more so in the past. Now we’re in the cloud we can see how the stack performs. We use some of the graphing to see at what point we’ll hit bottlenecks, and the in-depth reporting to identify weak points.

We’ve used it a couple of times. They’re great. They follow up with us as well, which is nice and quite unusual.

It was already in production, but I have done it in the past elsewhere. It’s so straightforward it’s ridiculous.

Other Advice

I like the solution so much I haven’t necessarily tried other products and don’t need or want to. Ask if the solution has the main features your stack needs. Does it support your languages, frameworks?

it_user342747
          Technical Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
          Our end users are getting a better experience with our software as we're able to respond faster to any incidences. We could use, however, better ability to drill-down into errors.

What is most valuable?

I like the integration with PagerDuty, so that helps spread out our on-call schedule. Application performance helps us drill down on the bottlenecks in our applications, to save us a lot of development time.

How has it helped my organization?

The real benefits are for end users. They’re getting a better experience with our software. It allows us to respond faster to any incidences.

What needs improvement?

• Better error reporting
          • Better ability to drill-down into errors

No problem at all.

It's absolutely great.

No problem at all.

They were fine. I spoke to a developer from the mobile team and he answered the question on the first attempt.

This is our first APM. We were looking for a solution that helped us to improve our customer experience. It was borne out of database issues we were having at the time. We had no APM solution prior – it was all done manually.

Straightforward. It would have been better to have more transparency to understand how New Relic actually slots onto your page, how it fits into your application.

We also looked at AppDynamics. New Relic felt like a better solution and the data that came out during the trial was better.

What other advice do I have?

Breadth of features, user experience, and constant development of the platform, as well as the value it’s adding to our business. Our products have grown with the New Relic platform; we see the value that people are getting from the platform. The data pretty much speak for itself – sign up, get a trial, and use it in production immediately.

it_user342723
          CTO at Lab Zero
          We can run it in production on all of our nodes without a performance hit. I would like, however, some way to disable data scrubbing manually.

What is most valuable?

• Real-time transaction monitoring.
          • Seeing a failure from somewhere in the system that you do not have deep-level access to.
          • Instantly being able to drill down. For various reasons, developers rarely have access to the production environment. So instead of three days of back and forth with approvals to gain access to the system, we have instantaneous insight into these systems.
          • If there was a silver bullet, it tells us in real, actual time where time was spent. We can run it in production on all of our nodes without a performance hit. It doesn’t impact the end user.

How has it helped my organization?

Short turn-time to resolution is essential. It’s the flashlight to the core of an issue in a production environment that everyone may have missed in development, QA, and implementation.

So basically it allows the business to more efficiently spend its money rather than in QA. The faster you can identify these question marks and find answers, the faster we can solve the problem, and the quicker we can solve the problem. We can focus on net new value.

What needs improvement?

The new Insight stuff is pretty exciting, so that’s interesting to some of our clients. Some way to disable data scrubbing manually would be a big feature.

We’ve been in production for five years.

Never had an issue.

Again, no problems, but I've never run it at a site that is truly a top-100 site. We know there is some overhead, but nothing Google-scale.

The cost of the solution is high on a per-node licensing scheme and that’s the prohibitive factor, but in terms of the actual scalability there are no issues.

The licensing fee for a single node can be comparable in price to running that node, certainly in the modern cloud world.

We haven’t had an opportunity/need to use it.

The solution we were using before was cobbled together from a mixture of sources, various monitoring solutions. None of them really offered the visibility of the overall health of the application. They’re all sort of looking at unrelated data points and we were left to infer what was happening.

New Relic understands the common tools you’re using; they had the first player advantage, plus the kind of nailed everything else. When they first released APM for Ruby there was nothing else like it, and there was barely anything else like it for any other tech stack. When they first hit market they were fundamentally different and better.

New Relic “hides” all of the stuff that is less valuable and lets the good stuff bubble up which lets you focus on that rather than anything else. A huge part of it has been the lack of having to do any app configuration to get started.

Incredibly straightforward. Procurement is the hard part.

Dynatrace came up in conversations, but not really. Solarwinds also.

New Relic is the first thing we bring up. When the vendor is aligned with the rest of the development community around the technologies. They have nice trial periods, month-to-month, which does make it easy. We are looking for solutions that allow us to say with a straight face to our clients that they work and they’re safe.

What other advice do I have?

They didn’t rake us over the coals to start extracting value, and there's no lock-in. We got really fast results times and it's a pleasure to work with. A growing suite of tools that work together, New Relic is going after bringing solutions to a contiguous set of needs. It’s a win for the clients, and it’s a safe bet for the future.

Understand whether you’re using a SaaS; the organization needs to be warm to the solution. Put together a PoC to show the value of the product – put it in a dev environment and start feeding it data to be able to understand the value of it.

it_user342189
          Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
          ​We get greater insight into what our application is doing once it’s in production, although some of the aggregates over time tend to become more vague, so you lose resolution.

Valuable Features:

The way some transactions are recorded, you can dig through and see what’s going on with the request, how many times you’re making a certain call. That’s the biggest part – almost like application profiling.

Improvements to My Organization:

We get greater insight into what our application is doing once it’s in production. We can identify issues faster, and being able to identify issues before they become a big problems is an improvement. We use it in load testing to identify inefficient query patterns.

Room for Improvement:

At times some of the data can be opaque. Some of the aggregates over time tend to become more vague, so you lose resolution. Greater resolution going further back in time would be nice. If I start going back a month or two, the resolution is a lot lower, which is kind of challenging and makes it harder to do in-depth historical analysis.

Use of Solution:

Alongside APM, we're using New Relic servers, plugins, and pretty much everything else except Insights, Synthetics, or the mobile product.

Stability Issues:

Pretty stable. Sometimes the charts will fail to load or there are some random errors. But because of the way we use APM, there’s no significant impact.

Scalability Issues:

Our use doesn’t really push the limits of New Relic, but it looks like it will scale just fine.

Initial Setup:

It was already in production when I joined the company.

Other Advice:

I don’t see us being able to operate without New Relic. It’s important to collect a lot of metrics, but it’s more important to identify the ones that are essential to your business purposes. Know which data are really important and what you should keep an eye on.

it_user342180
          Developer, DevOps Team at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          We can see easily what’s working and not, so there’s less downtime, but some training and documentation from them would be nice.

Valuable Features:

Dashboards let us monitor applications. We can see exactly what the problem is and where we need to go to troubleshoot it to solve the problem. Most of the time it tells us what the problem is. When you see it up in the application you put it exactly where you need it; we can troubleshoot simply by looking.

Improvements to My Organization:

If something goes bad, we can resolve it faster and in the proper way, rather than spending a lot of time just trying to understand what’s going on. We can see easily what’s working and not, so there’s less downtime.

Room for Improvement:

It’s really powerful with a lot of features, but some training and documentation from New Relic would be useful.

Stability Issues:

We had some problems at the beginning, but we may not have set it up properly. It’s not clear if it was stability problem in New Relic or in our application, and it was just at the beginning.

Scalability Issues:

Our stack is fixed, so we only scale within the set number of servers.

Initial Setup:

I wasn’t on the implementation team.

Other Advice:

Sometimes we just don’t know how to maximize the use of its features. If we had some additional training, that would help.

it_user342075
          Software Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 51-200 employees
          It saves time and engineering resources in terms of making things faster and diagnoses problems. Once in a while the data is delayed on the graph, but that only happens every month or two.

Valuable Features:

The main APM page with the graphs. We leave that up on our wall and we can tell pretty quickly if something is about to go wrong, or if the response time slows down. Database queries are really helpful as they helps to figure out where the low hanging fruit is in terms of making the site faster on the database site.

I use key transactions a lot when I’m tweaking the resources for the site. There are certain transactions that I care about more than the rest.

I use the throughput numbers a lot, especially working on workers as opposed to web. If I’m going to add more workers, first I want to know if there will be a bottleneck somewhere.

Improvements to My Organization:

It saves time and engineering resources in terms of making things faster and diagnoses problems. For us, engineering uses it but no one else even knows what it is. Overall, it improves the experience of the customers and site users.

Stability Issues:

It’s pretty solid. Sometimes they have downtime – for the most part the New Relic site is up all the time, but once in a while the data is delayed on the graph (like every month or two), but other than that it works!

Scalability Issues:

It’s scalable – thumbs up. We turn on new servers and New Relic just works.

Initial Setup:

It was already in production when I joined.

Other Advice:

All the information is there, but sometimes it’s hard to figure out what it means. You have to have used it a number of times in order to understand where to look. It doesn’t tell you the whole story, it just gives you pieces.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I used to work for New Relic.
          it_user342033
          Director of Operations at Trulia
          We can share root cause of issues with developers and other people within engineering because we can drill down in parallel.

What is most valuable?

• Ease of installation
          • Ease of use
          • It provides a common platform for Dev and Ops to be able to pinpoint and communicate problems
          • The solution allows us to quickly pinpoint problems
          • There’s good integration between all the products in the suite – browser and some of the plugins

How has it helped my organization?

Being able to quickly figure out the root causes of issues. It also makes it very easy to share that information with developers and other people within engineering – we can drill down in parallel.

What needs improvement?

There are a number of plugins that New Relic makes. It would be nice to be able to instantly integrate that with APM. Right now, they’re in their own little area, so it’s not as easy to quickly dive into a problem, for example in PHP. It’s a little hard to get data on the back end.

The stability and uptime have been great. They do a great job in notifying of maintenance windows. We have had some graph inconsistencies which might represent a quirk in the solution, but we haven’t seen that in a while.

It’s a very scalable solution. We have it on maybe a couple of hundred hosts today. We use an automation tool, Puppet, so we’re able to quickly install the New Relic agent across classes of servers easily. On their end as well, they’re collecting more data, so it seems like they’re scaling out very well too. There are no performance issues with scale.

Actually we haven’t had to use it yet.

Prior to New Relic, we did not have an APM solution. We had a lot of home-built tools but nothing like this with dashboards. Mainly the maintenance of the home-built tools was difficult. It was tribal knowledge with no documentation, so we were constrained by the engineers and their specific knowledge of the tools.

Very straightforward – it was great that everything was packaged so we didn’t have to do too much customization. We changed maybe two lines in the config. The documentation was very straightforward. Once we installed it a couple of times manually, we were able to script it, which was very easy as well.

There weren’t really any contenders – it was go with our home grown solution or this. Initially the product effectiveness was the top of the list. Cost is a consideration. Really cost was secondary to whether the tool actually worked and delivered value. Support wasn’t high on the list but it was a consideration. Mainly the ease of use and product effectiveness are the two main considerations.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a solid product. They continue to innovate year after year. They’re getting closer to a 10, but because of the speed of innovation I think there are a few disconnects within the suite/product line. That’s the main thing that keep sit from being a perfect solution, but they’re a very solid product and a very solid company.

It needs to be a cross-organizational evaluation. Can’t be Dev or Ops-only. The solution definitely needs to be low friction to get it into the environment. Being open to the customers in terms of what their product roadmap is and what the customer can expect, and then getting feedback from the customer to help them along as well is important.

Reviews are important. A lot of times other companies are trying to solve similar problems. People are going to be trying competitive solutions, so getting feedback is important to the vetting process.

it_user341649
          Architect Group Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
          We're able to investigate customer tickets much faster with it, and although there are no real-time graphs yet, they're adding it soon.

Valuable Features

The ability to look at applications directly and be able to dig down to server error details.

In APM, we can see error details for things that we never logged before – things that were occurring in our apps that we never knew about. The “a-ha” moment is the first install, and we immediately started to fix things.

Improvements to My Organization

We work in a small team in a startup with a lot of customers. From a customer to a software engineer was a one-step process, so tickets could come directly to me. I could go directly into New Relic to investigate what the customer was reporting and verify what they were saying. We can address those issues much faster with New Relic, which is brilliant. That changed things drastically for us.

Previously, we didn’t know what was broken. Now, New Relic tells us so we can prioritize what our teams work on. More importantly, it gives us the ammunition to go back to our product development team to convince them of the priority of fixing certain issues, which helps us prioritize our team’s activities.

Room for Improvement

Based on what New Relic is adding to the product, they’re adding more real-time graphs and ability to see interactions in real-time. For our business those features could really impact our business.

Never had any problems.

We had agents on servers delivering service from 11 different data centers worldwide. We never experienced a problem. Once the agents were installed, we forgot about them. We've never needed any special maintenance or anything. It scaled really well.

Never had occasion to use it.

Not involved in the initial implementation, but I was involved in agent deploys and bootstrapping data centers. It was super easy.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It’s hard to compare it to other vendors because nobody offers the quality of monitoring tools that we get with New Relic. Otherwise, it’s choosing among disparate products.

Other Solutions Considered

When looking, we look at the reliability of the vendor and the level of adoption of the solution we’re interested in.

Other Advice

I feel like it’s the best-in-class, and its differentiator is aggregation and the speed at which you can query large amounts of data. I don’t think any other product gets close. The easy of adoption, also. Start opening up servers and adding agents, and you’re done. You immediately have data.

Just get started. Pick something and try it. Regarding New Relic, you’re going to learn a lot about yourself even if you can’t afford it and you’re going to pick another solution. Too many of us do analysis paralysis on these sorts of things when you should just get started. That’s why trials are so valuable in the vendor space – if you have a way to try it out and you can immediately see the value, you can prove it to someone else.

it_user341442
          DevOps Engineer at Zendesk
          It tells us our average performance over time and pinpoints our key problems, although the UI is overcomplicated.

What is most valuable?

Just to show the response time of the app, and how much time each request spends in the tiers. Database is a tenth of a second, web takes two-tenths, and Ruby takes one-tenth.

I can tell you that there are two use cases. One is to look at how we are performing on average over time. So, assuming the systems are healthy and we look at the last month, the average response time is very good at telling us that. Let's say I add capacity, I can see it trend downwards. The other use case is pinpoint key problems happening right now. Uber called and they are saying that their Freshdesk isn’t working. We look in and can see clearly that only the database is taking 27 times longer than it should, and it helps us solve acute broken things.

It helps with current broken things and help us understand what is happening on our system overall.

How has it helped my organization?

It just gives us an idea for how fast were running. That cuts down to it -- how fast we're running, and if there is slowness, where it's coming from. It's really fast at telling us.

What needs improvement?

I would say that the user interface is maybe a little bit overly complicated. But I don’t have any specific way to improve it. I would say that what’s not commonly used, that are rarely used, should be less conspicuous and buried behind. Like your iPhone has one or two buttons -- if you need settings you can dig down to that stuff, but you don’t want that in your face when you take a call. Similarly, when you are in New Relic there are all these things that I need to sift through mentally. I just want to see how fast the apps are responding. You can’t change that.

I want to see the potential for Docker statistics or container statistics. Like if we start running containers, will it be able to track data for a given container. If one container serves one purpose, we need to track how many requests per day, when does the usage peek, how much does it vary week to week. And then that needs to be organized per container.

Finally, there's lot of noise on the front page that I don’t want to see. If it is customizable then it isn't obvious. Another nuance is that it always shows the wrong throughput for the most recent five minutes, and it's always wrong. The system is wrong for the most recent five minutes. They show wrong data and that changes after the five minutes is up.

We've had it for more than two years.

10/10 - it's very stable. It went down, maybe, once.

Super scalable. For us it scales for what we need. Scale means does it work as well if you have three nodes or 500, and it does. It doesn't break when you scale it up.

I don’t know. Never had a problem. Never had an issue with it. Really simple, like your microwave. Does it well so I never needed support.

This has always been our solution since we started.

We looked for a product that gives the data in a way that is easy to visualize, is reliable, and is simple.

it_user341436
          Senior Software Engineer with 201-500 employees
          When there’s a deployment, it shows by graphing if a regression has happened, and it allows us to react. However, every now and then there are little quirks.

What is most valuable?

It helps you to define the transaction percentages, average time, and highest throughput. Also, it tells us the transactions that take the most time on average. Those are the high level, most useful features.

It also tells us about every single request that comes in and how the system reacts to it. You get to see everything from the dashboard, all these breakdowns per layer of your architecture.

Error rate is the second most useful feature – there are alerts tied to that. You get paged when the error rate is above an expected percentage and that has worked very consistently and reliably for us.

How has it helped my organization?

The best thing is that the team has grown, and a lot of people are developing the code, but you tend to have regressions that are clearly visible in those transaction traces.

When there’s a deployment, it shows by graphing if a regression has happened, and it allows us to react. Catching regressions in performance is very important, and since we now see the breakdown in every single layer in the application, you know right away if there’s something you’re not expecting. We can then go and figure out if it’s an infrastructure or code issue. It gives you a high level view of all of the requests coming in. Error rates are a good indicator for potential rollbacks for a potential deployment – and usually it’s pretty instantaneous. At the end of the day as users, we get what we want.

What needs improvement?

For the purposes for which we’re using it, it just works. So far I don’t have any requests for new features.

Currently, it is not the only solution we have for monitoring so there are things that it’s missing – for example what Datadog does for us. Timeline series, custom timelines and graphs, and I’m not aware of those features in New Relic.

Every now and then there are little quirks, like the web site will stop refreshing by itself, or the graphs will show something that’s not happening. But in my experience just refreshing the graphs will fix it. But we’ve never had any downtime with New Relic.

We have scaled up as well in terms of number of hosts. There is some perceivable difference in performance when you’re looking at a graph versus number of hosts, but so far it has been fine. It’s definitely not the same looking at a single host versus many hosts.

The fact that I’ve never had to contact support by email or phone is a good thing. The online documentation has been fantastic. Everything you want is available in the documentation.

It was already in production. I did deployments in the staging environment, but not the first deployment. We will be doing the first deployment for mobile as well.

What other advice do I have?

You need to understand what’s in their stack, what technologies, what libraries, and it takes someone who has experience with those technologies to help make the decision. It also comes down to best bang for your buck, and I’d definitely recommend New Relic APM.

NOC Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
          We like that in server pools, you can install the agent on one server and that it supports plug-ins (RMQ, Redis etc.).

How has it helped my organization?

It was the first tool our company used for application level monitoring. It doesn't require much investment or technical expertise to implement, and I would recommend it for SME.

What is most valuable?

Support for plug-ins (RMQ, Redis etc.) is a valuable feature.

Older versions of .NET.

The agents are updated quite frequently, but New Relic doesn't offer tools for doing the upgrade in large environments.

Customer Service: It's good. Technical Support: We had several issues that were dealt with by there tech support, and their level is pretty good.

Which solution did I use

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Support for plug-ins (RMQ, Redis etc.) is a valuable feature.

Older versions of .NET.

It's good.

No previous solution was in place.

The setup is quite simple and there are plenty of online resources.

We did it in-house.

Since the plug-ins that report to New Relic do not require license, the ROI is high.

In server pools, you can install the agent on one server. Also, make sure you make the most out of using plug-ins as they don't require licenses.

What other advice do I have?

We are using it also for monitoring of Azure cloud.

it_user339354
          Managing Director/CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
          It helps us monitor our performance by giving us clear unobtrusive insights with weighted numbers, and although it integrates with Docker, it's missing a few minor metrics.

What is most valuable?

Application monitoring. The fact that we can trace a request through all the layers of the application (gateway-app server-database (persistent and caching layers)) and trace all the steps in between, is invaluable to us!

How has it helped my organization?

We can monitor our performance easily using the metrics, Apex, that New Relic have devised. This is a weighted number (0 to 1) which gives us a clear unobtrusive insight into our performance. Therefore, by leveraging the API, we can integrate the current performance metrics of our entire stack into our wall-boards and internal reporting.

What needs improvement?

With the recent introduction of Docker integration we're seeing increased metric collection, but are also missing a few minor metrics and deployment setups.

We've been using it for over five years now.

In a regular and normal usage, deploying the agent (either PHP, NodeJS or the server agent) is very simple and intuitive. We do however run into issues integrating the PHP agent into the Dokku deployments, but we have been working with the Dokku/Heroku/New Relic support staff to fix this.

It is fairly stable. There have been issues in the past where stability was not fully reliable, but all problems were quickly resolved and we personally haven't had any data loss issues of any kind.

We haven't seen any issue that affect us personally.

It's a big 10/10. The engagement of the customer service either via tickets or the public forum is excellent.

After building our initial integration with our framework several years ago the technical support engineer provided us with great insight and it really was a two way street of communication: we provided ideas that were implemented and they also gave us insight into optimal integration points.

We've tried various other tools over the years, but after giving New Relic a try, we haven't looked back.

The initial set-up was at the time the most straightforward and easy as imaginable. This really pushed us over the edge of giving it a go and loving it from day one.

We did it ourselves, and it's easy.

Since it's an application monitoring platform the actual ROI is a lot harder to calculate than other services directly related to the business. We do however see an increased focus on performance and therefore have a good ROI. It's also due to the fact that there are ways to keep the costs of New Relic down and still have the benefits.

Just try it out and install it on a couple of systems. You could go "all in" and have the full license and instalment on everything, but certainly during start-up, you could leverage a couple of instalments and still have insights, if it's installed into core parts of your set-up

Can't remember which platforms were out there. Soon after we started with New Relic, AppDynamics went live, and much later Server Density added APM. They both seem like worth competitors, but as previously mentioned: we have no reason to switch yet.

What other advice do I have?

Just give it a go and see how it goes.

Lead Strategy Architect at a recruiting/HR firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
          With the reporting/alerting and SLA feature we can generate reports to see the average response on days/weeks/months, but labelling and tagging should be more user-friendly.

Valuable Features

We can, in seconds, discover and point to the component/code that is giving us performance issues without debugging all the code.

After some days of using the product, we could optimize the code of multiple critical application used by our customers and, therefore, provide better, more stable services.

The ROI was there already after several days. Debugging and finding issues was taking, at a minimum, several days, now we can do it several hours.

Improvements to My Organization

We can get a complete and detailed view of each component of our product and focus immediately on performance issues, or give priority to the code/component we want to optimize.

Also, with the reporting/alerting and SLA feature we can generate reports to see the average response on days/weeks/months.

Lastly, it can help us compare between days, so we can see the impact of a deployment of new code on performance.

Room for Improvement

Labelling and tagging should be more user-friendly. It needs some more features.

Use of Solution

We've used it for more than one year, almost two. For some months we had temporary licenses, then we bought the required licensed when we saw the add-on value of the product.

There were some small bugs with the ability to update the dashboard the driver, RAM, and CPU after we upgraded to a server application. We had to ask New Relic to manage this issue on their side.

No issues encountered.

9/10 - very good and fast response. They always try to provide real support to understand your target, your issue, and try to find a solution to reach their customers target and satisfaction.

9/10. They know their product and most of technical replies are very clear, working, exactly as they say, and are easy to implement.

The deployment is easy, and it only takes one minute to install the package at the OS level for a server via RPM, and via agent for different applications where you integrate them in your application. It would be difficult to do make it simpler.

It was peanuts, and you install the agent/plugin on your OS or application, then you start your application or the agent on the OS, and it is automatically integrated in the dashboard on the cloud. It's impressive how it is so simple.

You install it yourself.

ROI

In several days, we got a great ROI due to an issue in an customer application. In the past, it was taking days for our developers to find the root cause of performance, and the slowest component. Now, in seconds, we can point direclty to the code/component that is slow, that has issues, and allow the developers to directly focus on working on the code to provide an optimized and stable code to deliver better service to the customer.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Price and licensing is very efficient and correct.

Other Solutions Considered

We looked at other products, but we had first priority on an ROR/Ruby application for a new application. The payroll exchange used by our customers all over the world and some good competitors didn't support ROR/Ruby applications.

Other Advice

It's very good but still needs to be enhanced. Test it by implementing it, and in minutes, you will analyze the results and the dashboard and adopt it.

Application Performance Monitoring Lead at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
          It provides a single pane for operation teams to look at and get to the root cause of issues, although alerts tend to show how an entire cluster, and not just the issue-causing node, is performing.

What is most valuable?

• It's easy to install and to configure.
          • The UI interface and navigation make it easy for a novice user to quickly use the provided relevant performance application data to determine how well their application is performing and to see other areas which may require some further tuning.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides a single pane for operation teams to look at and get to the root cause of issues. This allows them to take the required corrective actions and to remove some of the blame game. People can only look at their own isolated metrics.

What needs improvement?

• Ability to set-up maintenance windows, so silent time can be given to monitors for a defined period of time.
          • Alerts tend to show how an entire cluster is performing, and not only that a given node is having an issue. To get around this issue one can use parent-child relationships in the naming of given applications and set the alert conditions at the child levels.
          • For browser, the need to provide an interface which allows us to define a given business transaction, e.g. define all the steps of a given credit submittal. This is somewhat possible using “Funnels” with New Relic Insights.

We've been using it for a little over a year and a half and have it in the following -

• APM deployed across JBOSS, Tomcat, WebLogic, Glassfish, ActiveMQ, .Net
          • Server deployed across RedHat, CentOs, and Windows 2008/2012
          • DevOps deployment of APM and server agent using chef cookbook

APM and server agents are deployed via a chef cookbook or shell scripts. In one case, we had a very old version of Java running and had to deploy a corresponding older version of New Relic.

It has been operational for over a year and a half across over 200+ applications on Java and .Net, with no negative impact to any of the systems.

Given that New Relic is a SaaS model we haven’t had any negative impact utilizing their UI to view given applications or do analytics with Insights.

They are very dedicated and attentive to our needs as well as how their products can be utilized to enhance our support of given applications - 10/10.

Their on-line technical support has always provided timely updates of any open tickets as well as very open to getting on a chat Webex to resolve issue. Many issues have been resolved on either the first or second exchange of notes in their ticketing system - 9/10.

We previously used HP Diagnostics and CA Introscope. We switched for several reasons -

• UI interface required more training of the support teams to utilize the product because it wasn't as intuitive.
          • Large infrastructure to support and administer the environment.
          • Requires RUM appliance to tap the network so that we can gain insight into the end-user response.

We deployed the agent via simple manual steps or via in-house written scripts.

It was deployed by an in-house middleware team with vendor consulting in a few areas where the browser auto injection failed. The vendor team was very knowledgeable of their products and how to deploy and configure across an array of platforms.

What other advice do I have?

Implement APM and server on non-production environments as well, especially an environment where you are running performance testing from. BrowserPro should be a requirement, and you should look into New Relic Insights as it is a great diagnostic tool. Make sure you keep, at a minimum, a few months worth of detailed data as well as populating it with additional custom attributes or data from other systems.

it_user300519
          Head of Content and Backend developer at a pharma/biotech company with 51-200 employees
          We're able to identify incorrectly optimized SQL queries, external machine bottlenecks, and other low performance issues.

Valuable Features

It helps us profile specific web server endpoints and identify what can be improved.

Improvements to My Organization

On a regular basis, we're able to identify incorrectly optimized SQL queries, external machine bottlenecks (i.e. higher throughput than can be handled), and other low performance issues.

Room for Improvement

I hope the next release has the ability to retain historical data.

A current limitation is comparing a present call with that of the same time the previous day, or previous week. It would be great to identify exactly which hours and days had lower performance than usual.

Use of Solution

I've used it since November 2013.

It's trivial.

It's trivial.

Support is quite good, around 8/10.

There is a lot of available resources online, and support leads you to their forums initially. Response times are within 24 hours if contacted by email.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

The documentation is very complete and the procedure itself takes about five minutes, plus deployment time.

Implementation Team

New Relic is a software as a service so there is no implementation per se, just a setup.

Pricing is great!

There are many free plans, and the for pay ones add a few important features such as longer log backup.

Other Solutions Considered

I chose this product for its ease of integration with our software stack, and its very attractive price plan.

Other Advice

New Relic is a great SaaS which I will definitely continue using and will use in future products.

We're a very happy customer.

it_user298440
          Chief Technology Officer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
          It gives us insight into the performance of the entire stack as well as a view into which components have the biggest impact on customer experience.

What is most valuable?

The alerting is by far the most valuable feature, closely followed by the way the platform correlates incidents across applications and components.

We are able to derive very valuable insights into the performance of the entire stack, and most importantly, we get a view as to which components have the biggest impact on the customer experience.

How has it helped my organization?

We have both Ops and Tech Leads subscribed to the alerts now. In general the Ops team only responds to "server down" or other infrastructure issues, whereas the Tech Leads will become interested if errors are being thrown or the Apdex scores are affected. They then have the chance to observe the system during an issue, as well as grab stack dumps and thread traces that allow us to quickly identify issues that are hard or impossible to replicate in a test environment.

What needs improvement?

I would like some additional fine tuning control around the alerting. I would also like the ability to "store" particular errors or traces for longer than the normal week.

We are yet to investigate creating dashboards and building extensions so there's a lot about the platform we still haven't found.

The biggest issue is the lack of mobile support from the website. They do have an Android and iPhone app but I have a Windows Phone and it's virtually unusable.

We've used it for about a year, and there are still a number of features we've yet to fully explore.

We see some exceptions in the machine Event Logs from time to time, and we occasionally see high CPU usage from the monitoring components but we've not seen any activity that compromised the stability of our systems as a result.

Support people are very helpful and turn-around times are short. I have raised a number of tickets and I've always been happy with the outcome.

We used to use Microsoft System Center Operations Manager but this is really not ideal for our cloud-based deployments

Deployment to our Windows, Ubuntu and .Net environments was very straightforward.

We provide managed services on Microsoft Azure and Verizon Terremark for a number of enterprise organizations including Government, Motor Vehicle Manufacturers and FMCG.

The hardest part was understanding the licensing and billing. The licensing and pricing was a challenge for us to understand, so speak to an Account Manager rather than simply buying online. I think they need a blog post about this.

We evaluated a number of solutions but this is the only platform we've fully deployed to production. We looked at MS System Center, DataDog, Paraleap and SolarWinds.

What other advice do I have?

Start with a trial to get a sense of which components perform what kind of task, then divide your environment into applications and servers that require data retention, and those that don't. Put them into two separate accounts. The ones that require retention will eventually become a Pro account.

it_user293898
          .NET Web Development Manager at a music company with 501-1,000 employees
          It provides on-demand profiling, allows for ApDex/error monitoring, and we're able to quickly identify how our product behaves in production.

What is most valuable?

• On-demand profiling – This gives us the ability to execute a thread profiler on demand and get a very in depth view of call costs
          • ApDex/Error monitoring – As a dev-ops solution, this is a great tool because we’re able to help predict issues before the end-user starts notifying us. We can set thresholds that are based on our metrics

How has it helped my organization?

We are now able to quickly identify how our product behaves in production. Before New Relic APM, we would push a build, and try to dig through a plethora of information (event logs, error messages, customer feedback, etc) to find problem spots. Instead, we now publish and can see all the key stats (apdex, response time, error rate, etc.) and quickly drill into what’s causing an issue.

What needs improvement?

More configurability through the dashboard, for example, being able to ignore transactions without the need to update the config or code.

I've been using it for two years and alongside Insights for one year.

No issues encountered.

Really high. While we’ve never had any major issue, the ticket I’ve opened have received responses within a couple hours with quality answers.

We didn’t use any other solutions prior to this.

It was straightforward. On each of our servers, we installed the agent, added our key to a config, and then within minute we were seeing metrics on our site.

In-house. Always start with your development or QA environment. While we had no issues, it’s best to take a dry run, and get a feel for how the app affects performance to see if the data is what you’re looking for.

I have no hard numbers detailing how much we get back for what we pay. However, as a dev-ops tool, it has been priceless. We are now able to pinpoint issues much quicker and can significantly reduce our downtime.

We did evaluate one additional tool but the install and integration was significantly more cumbersome. The core reason we chose New Relic was the ease of us and the quality of the metrics it gave us. Within hours of demoing the product, we were already learning more about our application than we expected.

it_user289662
          Senior Software Engineer at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          We're able to determine where time is spent overall in server requests and to analyze database query times.

What is most valuable?

It provides information on where time is spent overall in server requests. It performs database query time analysis.

What needs improvement?

New Relic APM generates weekly performance reports, but they aren't really actionable.

No, but it was deployed before I arrived at the organization.

No, the service appears very stable. We get occasional 503 errors when pushing data to New Relic, but it's fairly infrequent.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: We haven't had to interact with customer service at all. Technical Support: I…

What is most valuable?

• It provides information on where time is spent overall in server requests.
          • It performs database query time analysis.

What needs improvement?

No, but it was deployed before I arrived at the organization.

No issues encountered.

We haven't had to interact with customer service at all.

I haven't had to use technical support.

We've always used New Relic.

It was done in-house.

We never quantified this.

What other advice do I have?

New Relic was the market leader at the time. It still is, although there are more competitors now (AppNeta, sysdig).

it_user288351
          CEO at Carousel Apps
          The performance report on which controllers are taking the longest and which parts of the application are consuming the most resources are valuable.

What is most valuable?

At the moment, I think the aspect of their product is the most useful to us: server monitoring. We actually display the status of our servers continually in our dashboard (using https://Screensaver.Ninja) because that's a critical aspect of our operation. This is only true because our most used product is not gaining new features as we are re-writing it from scratch, but while we were developing new features, their performance report on which controllers are taking the longest and which parts of the application are consuming the most resources is incredibly useful.

How has it helped my organization?

Very simple, using server monitoring. I saw over a period of time our disk usage increase until some servers went into yellow alert (above 70%). Then we started working on this issue without a rush because we knew we had time, and instead of increasing the size of our servers and thus having extra cost, we managed to find how to reduce our storage footprint to fit within our current servers. Constantly seeing the green status of all my servers makes me sleep well at night.

What needs improvement?

I think their dev packages for server monitoring could handle configuration a bit better. We install upgrades and patches every day and their packages seems to require manual intervention due to the configuration file more often than other packages. Since we use Puppet, it's trivial for us to deal with it, but sometimes we do have to look at the configuration file to figure out whether something really changed or not. To be fair, this hasn't happened in a while, so maybe they improved it already.

I've used it for five years over multiple projects in multiple companies.

No issues encountered.

I don't think I ever needed it, no.

I don't think I ever needed it, no.

I don't think New Relic has a lot of competition. We also use Linode to monitor our servers (but not our app).

I think this is one of the aspects in which New Relic shines. They designed the product to be easy to install and integrate, it's part of their guiding philosophy and probably what made me try it in the first place.

I implemented it myself.

We are happy with the free version, so I never properly evaluated this.

New Relic is not cheap, but I have a few colleagues that need the paid accounts, and although it hurts, generally not having New Relic hurts more.

Not really.

What other advice do I have?

Just go ahead and try it.

Senior Technical Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
          It allowed us to identify exact module/service issues quickly and visually without going through gigabytes of log files.

What is most valuable?

My organization follows SOA architecture to address the overall complexity. We have broken our system into different services according to complexity and functionality. When we serve a customer, multiple services come into picture. To identify the exact time taken by a service or failure in a service, we had two options:

a) Go through the logs and identify the exact issue or time taken by the component (too complex and takes a considerable amount of time).

b) Install an application monitoring system that can measure the performance of different services from the customer themselves and, in the case of issues, identify the issue and/or alert (less time required to diagnose the actual issue with visual representation).

The second option is much better in all scenarios.

The installation for New Relic is butter smooth and hardly took 5 minutes for the first server. It even reduced to less than 2 minutes for additional servers.

How has it helped my organization?

We found the following benefits after installing New Relic:

a) Ability to pin-point the exact module/service creating issues.

b) Lightening fast issue identification since there is no need to go through gigabytes of log files and, since we have a number of servers in our cluster, it isn't even feasible to check each and every server.

c) Access to web page load-time, size, and error tracking, vital for a e-commerce.

What needs improvement?

It would have been great had it provided thread-dump analysis and a few additional JVM-related stats. For reference, we can check JVisualVM.

We have used this solution for over 3+ Year. We put this system in 2012 and it is still up and running perfectly fine.

There were no issues encountered at all.

We didn't encounter issues with stability.

There were no issues with scalability.

They were pretty helpful and quick in addressing our concerns.

10 on a scale of 10.

We did not use any other solution.

It was very simple and took minimal effort and time.

New Relic only comes in SaaS flavor and installation is pretty quick. We used our in-house team for implementation.

From the perspective of effort and time taken while identifying issues and resolution, we have gained a lot. Not sure about the financial ROI.

It totally depends on the organization's requirements and the effort vs. return one puts in monitoring the system. Although, it would have been great if the licensing cost could be reduced a bit.

Yes. We evaluated AppDynamics.

What other advice do I have?

Go ahead if you can afford it. You won't regret the decision.

it_user267330
          Plone developer. Python programmer. Technical project lead. at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
          Real-time performance statistics showed that our online service wasn't as fast and reliable as we expected.

What is most valuable?

The ability to have real-time performance statistics, as we need to know if the main features of our website are working and responding fast enough to our clients' clicks.

How has it helped my organization?

New Relic helped us in realizing that sometimes our online service wasn't as fast and reliable as we expected it to be. With the help of New Relic tools, our organization was able to detect, track, and fix errors in our website, so we focused our efforts in these areas.

What needs improvement?

The pricing model. New Relic can be expensive for growing startups. Maybe they should think of some more choices.

Not at all.

No, access to the New Relic website and reports was always stable. Monitoring, events and reports are always available and we didn't notice any kind of downtime.

No, our website started with a small number of users and grew to hundreds. New Relic was always working as expected.

Customer service has always answered our questions very quickly, even on weekends. It seems very effective. 10/10.

We previously tried some hosted solutions using a variety of tools to perform monitoring and reporting tasks. We decided to switch to New Relic for its simplicity on setup and maintenance. We are able to quickly deploy new servers using New Relic in zero time.

New Relic offers great tools to integrate your software stack with their tools, and everything worked like a charm.

We implemented New Relic ourselves

Pricing can be dangerous if your product grows a lot. You should start with the free lite option to see if you can find New Relic useful for your application, and then try the Pro version with one or more hosts.

No other options evaluated,

What other advice do I have?

Search in the plugins repository to see if there's already a package for your CMS framework. Install que iOS/Android mobile app to monitor your sites and get alerts.

Lead IT Engineer with 51-200 employees
          The ability to filter errors by URL, server, and period of time has been helpful.

What is most valuable?

I find the error monitoring of IIS web applications to be extremely useful. Being able to filter errors by URL, server, and period of time has been extremely helpful in quickly isolating and fixing problems. Being able to see a list of slow transactions is also very helpful in identifying the root cause of application performance problems.

How has it helped my organization?

In one case, a developer had an end-user report a recurring issue with a web application after a new release. I was able to use New Relic to find the error and provide the developer with the exact line of code that was causing the error within minutes of the issues being reported.

What needs improvement?

I can't say as I haven't used all of the features.

I've used it for one year.

No issues encountered.

I haven't had to contact customer service.

I haven't had to contact technical support.

We didn't have a solution in place prior to deploying New Relic.

It was straightforward.

We didn't install it through a vendor.

it_user4548
          Senior Technical Lead: Automation and Performance Testing at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
          Has really helped us in monitoring our production apps and also to diagnose errors.

What is most valuable?

APM Synthetics Blazemeter integration

How has it helped my organization?

This tool has really helped us in monitoring our production apps and also to diagnose the errors coming in using APM and synthetics modules.

What needs improvement?

I have logged a bug in their Ping Monitor within Synthetics and I need more improvement in this area.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 9/10. Technical Support: 9/10.

Which

What is most valuable?

• APM
          • Synthetics
          • Blazemeter integration

9/10.

9/10.

No previous solution used,

It was quite simple.

We implemented it in-house.

We are getting a very good ROI as out production quality has gone up with more issues getting detected on local environments.

• Gomez by Compuware
          • AppDynamics

What other advice do I have?

It is very simple to implement and it adds great value.

Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Helped us pin point the exact piece causing the performance bottleneck by using the transaction trace view.

Valuable Features:

Transaction trace under APM. Ajax section under browser

Improvements to My Organization:

Room for Improvement:

Instead of picking up a few values under trace, it can provide a list of every hit and their traces while keeping minimal overhead.

Use of Solution:

6 Months

Deployment Issues:

Yes. Installation of plugins seem to be really difficult due to the documentation available.

No issues yet.

Initial Setup:

Yes, installation of the APM piece and Server piece is straightforward but the plugin may cause an issue.

Valuable Features:

Transaction trace under APM.

Ajax section under browser

Room for Improvement:

Use of Solution:

6 Months

No issues yet.

Initial Setup:

Co-Founder at a computer software company
          We used to get lots of complaints from clients on app slowness. Using New Relic we are able to solve slowness issues

What is most valuable?

• App server monitoring
          • Response time
          • Error Rates

How has it helped my organization?

We used to get lots of complaints from clients on app slowness. Using New Relic we are able to solve the slowness issues based on traffic and server response metrics.

What needs improvement?

Errors insights have room for improvement especially error analysis part which is somewhat less compared to similar tool Splunk.

Over 2 years.

No issues encountered.

None encountered. It's quite stable.

No issues encountered.

9 out of 10. They have a great support team.

9 out of 10.

No but we are using Splunk and New Relic along with Stackdriver Simultaneously [Don't want to depend on one and use the features of all].

We followed their documentation and it was good enough to set it up.

In house team.

About 50-60%.

We spend around $100 per month.

We analyzed AppDynamics as well but found New Relic better suited for us.

What other advice do I have?

Please go ahead and try this and you won't regret having it.

it_user170535
          Information Systems Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
          We can analyse events after they occur. This gives us better visibility to plan resolutions in a timely fashion.

What is most valuable?

Trends and Alerting have been valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

We can analyse events after the event has occurred. This gives us better visibility to plan resolutions in a timely fashion.

What needs improvement?

Performance/bugs.

6 months.

Sometimes we've noticed agents fail to report/respond.

Yes, we have encountered issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Customer Service: Excellent. Technical Support: Excellent.

Which solution did I use previously and

What is most valuable?

Trends and Alerting have been valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Performance/bugs.

6 months.

Sometimes we've noticed agents fail to report/respond.

Yes, we have encountered issues with stability.

Excellent.

No, simple setup process.

In-House.

Unsure.

< $1000/month.

it_user167271
          Senior Unix Engineer + Managing Dir at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
          Most important feature is the real time application performance & capacity reporting - complete product that just works.

What is most valuable?

We are using the SLA reporting, server monitoring and alerting, however the main and most important feature for Mangocam is the real time application performance and capacity reporting. We are also using plugins for memcached and database monitoring and alerting.

How has it helped my organization?

New Relic has changed the way we are dealing with application problems. It's the first place for our administrators to check if we encounter issues. In most cases, New Relic can immediately pinpoint the root cause of the issue, be it application errors, slow transactions, external services, database throughput or high transaction count. New Relic can monitor thresholds and alert if required. We are also using New Relic to help understand performance tests and bottlenecks.

What needs improvement?

Some of the 3rd party plugins could be improved - especially the requirement for java to monitor simple network services is not ideal. Also the pricing / plans may need restructuring as there is a big gap between the free offering and the first paid tier.

About three years for Mangocam.com, also at two other companies as IT consultant for the last 4 years.

We have used the PHP and Java monitoring modules as well as the server monitoring service without many problems. There was an initial glitch with the javascript injection on parts of our site, which has been sorted out quickly with the help of the New Relic support.

None so far. The service is very mature and very stable.

None so far. However, the amount of servers and services connected is limited.

We only had to contact the support twice and in both cases the response time and professionalism were exceptional.

The quality and expertise of the email support was very high, we have no complaints.

We have tried different services in the past, which only offered part of the features, but again New Relic is very different - complete product that just works.

Setting up New Relic is very easy and well documented. It's using the standard operating system packaging tools and is straightforward.

We implemented it in-house.

There is no measurable ROI as we are currently utilising the free plan / option.

it_user165315
          Performance Test Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Shows how much time each SQL transaction takes so client can pinpoint the query and modify.

What is most valuable?

New Relic shows how much time each SQL transaction (SQL query) is taking to execute. By this, client can pinpoint the query and modify so that it takes less time to execute.

How has it helped my organization?

New Relic has detailed analysis of various parameters such as Web Server, Database server, Application Server etc. so we were able to provide the client with more productive reports.

What needs improvement?

Additional functionalities and application up time.

No major issues.

Customer Service: Used…

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Additional functionalities and application up time.

No major issues.

Yes, sometimes.

Used rarely, was average.

Used rarely, was average.

Cost effectiveness.

Straight-forward, though not completely.

Good.

What other advice do I have?

Check for scalability and application up time.

Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
          Transcational traces are very helpful.

What is most valuable?

Transaction traces

How has it helped my organization?

It helps me to identify root cause on the code level issues.

What needs improvement?

Doesn't recognized some third party transaction traces.

3 Years.

I haven't experienced any issues with deployment.

I haven't experienced any issues with stability.

I haven't experienced any issues with scalability.

Customer Service: Extremely satisfied Technical Support: Satisfied

Yes, I…

What is most valuable?

Transaction traces

How has it helped my organization?

It helps me to identify root cause on the code level issues.

What needs improvement?

Doesn't recognized some third party transaction traces.

3 Years.

I haven't experienced any issues with deployment.

I haven't experienced any issues with stability.

I haven't experienced any issues with scalability.

Extremely satisfied

Satisfied

Yes, I switched because of the low cost

Straightforward

Implemented on my own

Very high

They come up with best pricing solution for frequent buyers.

Did PoC using pro version.

it_user161835
          IT Manager at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
          No extra cost to the configuration and there is no daily charge for the product, because it saves analysis time.

What is most valuable?

Insights.

How has it helped my organization?

Identifies bottlenecks in applications, the servers and the network.

What needs improvement?

In the first stage, the area of development, infrastructure and communication portal.

1 year.

8/10.

8/10.

Yes, we switched because of the price.

Very simple setup.

Immediately.

We don´t have any extra cost to the configuration and there is no daily charge for the product, because it saves analysis time.

Yes. Compuware, CA monitoring products and Riverbed APM (old Opnet solution).

What other advice do I have?

I believe that New Relic meets 90% of cases. So if you have low budget and little time to implement , this would be the best choice.

it_user164280
          Senior Service Manager with 51-200 employees
          The reports on SLA metrics and scalability are very useful tool.

Valuable Features

The application monitoring and Insights functionality. From an Ops perspective the application metrics NR provides opens the hood. I use it often in combination with load and stress tests on UAT environments. The application behavior allows me to discuss the results with the team and focus on possible issues real soon. NR is a very useful tool in a devops and continuous delivery strategy. The reports on SLA metrics and scalability are a very useful tool for service managers.

Improvements to My Organization

It allows the Ops teams to better cooperate with the DEV teams. Essential in a devops culture is that the different role within a devops team use the same metrics and data. NR provides some of this data and input.

Use of Solution

For about three years now.

Customer support is ok. They are easy to reach and you don’t have to wait for answers too long.

Technical support is ok. They are easy to reach and you don’t have to wait for answers too long.

I am not an engineer but one of the pros for use of NR is the ease of implementation. Our engineers find it easy to implement this toolset.

ROI

This is a hard one. The ROI is not crystal clear but can be found in preventing performance issues in production and a better/shorter troubleshoot possibility when suffering performance- and/or scalability/Availability issues on a production system.

Other Solutions Considered

We considered AppDynamics. It's is a more mature product in my opinion, but far more expensive.

Other Advice

Certainly do so. Great product which helps in quality and performance assurance of your webapps. Also helps in troubleshooting issues and brings Ops and Dev closer.

it_user163950
          Consultant Software Developer at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
          ​Reduced the worry in supporting live websites and alerts when server load reaches thresholds.

What is most valuable?

Alerts when server load reaches thresholds, disk space thresholds and error logging of applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Reduced the worry in supporting live websites.

What needs improvement?

Integration with Azure websites as well as Azure cloud services.

2 years.

No issues with deployment.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Straightforward - NuGet package.

What

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

Reduced the worry in supporting live websites.

What needs improvement?

Integration with Azure websites as well as Azure cloud services.

2 years.

No issues with deployment.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Straightforward - NuGet package.

In-house.

Using free version of product so N/A.

What other advice do I have?

It's a low risk strategy for system monitoring.

it_user163218
          Sr Application Ops Engineer at a tech company with 201-500 employees
          Makes it easier to troubleshoot application issues. Administratively, it's really easy since it's a SaaS application.

What is most valuable?

Ease of installation/maintenance.

How has it helped my organization?

Makes it a lot easier to troubleshoot application issues.

1.5 years.

We use a deployment solution so after we set it up once we could package up the deployment and go from there. Administratively, it's really easy since it's an SaaS application.

Haven't encountered as issues with stability.

Haven't encountered as issues with scalability.

Excellent.

I had not used another solution. Others in the company have. Switch was due to feature set, ease of use, and less administrative overhead.

I had to read the instruction page but other than that, it's easy.

We did not implement through a vendor.

I do not know. The licenses were purchased and I installed Java and server agents.

I was not involved in the choice/purchase of this product.

What other advice do I have?

Have your dev team read the information about the product: it's capabilities and how to implement them. That will help a lot in the long run.

Security Consultant at a security firm with 501-1,000 employees
          We are able to detect errors in the software, easy to manage and its dashboards are understandable to C-level.

What is most valuable?

JS error detection, alerting systems.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to detect errors in the software.

What needs improvement?

Error Tracing, kpi performance differs many with other controls like IPtables or specialized webs, this confuses but is understandable.

3 months.

My technicians did, it I'm not aware.

There are some 5 minutes interruptions that we don't know where they come from, 24x7 confirmed the web was ok so it must be the tool.

No, didn't notice any scalability issues.

How are customer service and technical

What is most valuable?

JS error detection, alerting systems.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to detect errors in the software.

3 months.

My technicians did, it I'm not aware.

No, didn't notice any scalability issues.

The Support has been excellent -- affordable and bringing us meetings and phone calls with great availability and customer-oriented support.

Average.

Previous experiences with this tool made us choose this first, although we compared others.

In-house.

It's price is a little bit higher than expected as the premium specs are the ones we need.

5€ / day / server, a little bit high.

Yes, Zenoss and AppDynamics.

What other advice do I have?

It's easy to manage and its dashboards are understandable to C-level, APDEX is a plus too.

it_user162390
          Technical Co-Founder with 51-200 employees
          Database trace was the most useful service - helped us to improve performance on our servers by more than 30%.

Valuable Features

The database trace was the most useful service. This helped us to improve performance on our servers by more than 30%.

Improvements to My Organization

I could spend less time verifying code and check for performance. I created accounts for my devs and integrated this into the KPI’s and also the test process. This in turn reduces the amount of money we were spending on our servers. The database performance was something we were able to greatly improve.

Use of Solution

I used the solution for roughly 6 months and also ran the service for another client.

The simple one line install was perfect and took us less than 1 minute to install.

None.

None. Our servers were small any which ways. …

None.

None. Our servers were small any which ways.

I didn’t have to reach out to them at any point of time.

Didn’t have to use the technical support.

It was a one minute setup and was straightforward.

ROI

We were able to work on servers two levels smaller on AWS EC2.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I was using the free account.

QA Expert with 501-1,000 employees
          This is a really awesome tool, getting you in & out of your entire backend framework in a cohesive manner.

Valuable Features

The API response time has been a valuable feature.

Improvements to My Organization

This product had actually helped us in identifying peak load hours and system response to such situations. Also on Local system if we have upgraded or downgraded any API, this tool has actually given data facts in response time & that is very important.

Room for Improvement

Mobile APP's Performance Monitoring.

Use of Solution

I have been using the solution for 2.5 Years.

Very Good.

Very Good.

Easy.

In-House Team.

Reduced response time.

We evaluated DataDog.

Other Advice

This is a really awesome tool, giving you in & out of your entire backend framework in a cohesive manner. Also maintains history of data to help to find root cause of problems back in history.

it_user68343
          Webmaster with 51-200 employees
          Great application but still lacks a bit in non application monitoring
          One of the greatest finds of the past 12 months has to be New Relic. Its monitoring and performance tracking in a box is just amazing, and shows what modern SaaS solutions should be. New Relic is a great application tier monitoring solution, and while I would love it to do many more things, its still amazing how much it can do. It is still lacking a bit in non application monitoring, so can’t hold all the cards at the moment, but works well alongside other platforms. Don’t write this off as a Java tool, I know I initially did, but we have had it run against PHP stacks with just as much useful information generated.

Sales Engineer at a tech consulting company with 11-50 employees
          I loved using this product.

What is most valuable?

Monitoring, Custom Dashboards

How has it helped my organization?

New Relic gave us a quick, easy way to monitor our web application for all of our systems. This changed how and what we responded to.

What needs improvement?

I would like better alerting. I also would like to see a bit more detailed information. Though I was happy with the detail I did get.

2 years

No, deployment was easy.

None

We had several solutions in-house.

This was a simple…

What is most valuable?

Monitoring, Custom Dashboards

2 years

No, deployment was easy.

None

We had several solutions in-house.

This was a simple setup. I never received training and I was able to get in to the admin console and set up the dashboards I wanted.

In-house

What other advice do I have?

Get over the SaaS security concerns.

it_user68016
          Team Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
          New Relic for PHP: Web Application Performance Monitoring
          The performance of a web application plays a critical role in how an application is perceived by its users. It is important to measure it, identify the causes if it changes and react swiftly to any unexpected changes. This article describes an industry leading tool, New Relic, and how it can be used to monitor and improve your site performance. Setting up a good web application monitoring system can be tiresome, but it’s well worth it. Without the monitoring tools the only thing we could tell is if our site is performing as expected or not. In order to improve the performance we have to be able to identify the worse performing user actions and profile them independently to pinpoint the cause. New Relic achieves that and more in just a few screens, all without manually adding…

Setting up a good web application monitoring system can be tiresome, but it’s well worth it. Without the monitoring tools the only thing we could tell is if our site is performing as expected or not. In order to improve the performance we have to be able to identify the worse performing user actions and profile them independently to pinpoint the cause. New Relic achieves that and more in just a few screens, all without manually adding any profiling code to your application.

New Relic is a real-time application monitoring service, providing various metrics about the performance of your production site, covering everything from application database queries through to the time it takes for the end-user to view a page. This data is then collected, post-processed and converted to simple and clean charts presented in the New Relic web interface. Since the New Relic agent has to collect and report the data, it does add some overhead to the application stack. Unless you’re running a service that has to respond in a few milliseconds, however, the overhead added is minimal and is far outweighed by the value of the reports enabling you to detect and solve problems early.

This article covers both the basic functionality of New Relic (that can be used for free) as well as describing what the Enterprise version has to offer.

Getting Started

The New Relic installation is split into several distinct components:

• the agent component – a PHP extension, which collects the data and reports to a locally running New Relic daemon.
          • the daemon component, acting as a proxy between the PHP agents and New Relic datacenters. The main responsibility of the daemon is to reduce the time of reporting the data to New Relic.
          • New Relic reporting suite – the main New Relic website, where the data is presented for the user.

Both the agent and the daemon components are installed using the provided newrelic-install script. The script will detect the available PHP installations and deploy the agent extension to all of them.

Please refer to the official documentation for more detailed information regarding the installation and configuration of the New Relic package on your specific platform.

Basic Charts

“Forever. Seriously. That’s right. Free. Just the basics.” (newrelic.com)

While the free version of New Relic does not have all the bells and whistles of the Enterprise version, it does provide some basic, yet useful, feedback regarding your site performance.

Application Performance

If you are interested in an overview of how your application performs at PHP level, this is the chart to look at. It displays the average execution time of your PHP scripts in real time, split into separate layers by their execution type:

1. time spent to execute database queries
          2. time spent in PHP
          3. external web service calls

Depending on which of the application layers take the most time, different optimisation (or scaling) techniques can be applied.

1. The time spent in the database can usually be reduced by doing one or more of the following:
            • analysing the queries that are executed, ensuring that they are using indexes correctly or creating new indexes for them
            • caching the most frequently-accessed and computationally-expensive result sets from the database
            • optimising the structure of your application’s data using techniques such as database partitioning
            • scaling up the database layer (e.g. adding more slave nodes)
          2. The PHP time is the time that your application is processing the data and good tactics for bringing this down could include:
            • caching intermediate results
            • optimising the code, using faster algorithms
            • adding more webnodes (if the hardware limits are reached)
          3. A few things that can help to optimise the network operations:
            • cache everything that can be cached;
            • introduce an asynchronous job queue if possible.

Browser Performance

Even if the performance of your application is good, there is no guarantee that the users of the site will get it loaded within a reasonable timescale. The New Relic chart for browser page load time provides an overview of how your website is performing.

Similar to the application performance overview shown previously, this chart is composed of several separate layers:

1. Web application time tells how long it takes for your application to process the requests. More information about this layer can be seen in the application performance chart shown earlier in this article.
          2. Network time is the time that is spent purely for the user request to travel to your application server and then for the response to reach the browser, disregarding the time spent in the application itself.
            To optimise this component one would need to review the network performance of your system architecture by considering the following questions:
            • do you compress the response sent to the site users (depending on Accept-Encoding)?
            • is it just that the response is huge and some of it can be loaded later?
            • is the bandwidth used reaching its limits and you simply need a faster network link?
            • would distributing your servers worldwide (see more on this later) help?
          3. DOM Processing includes the time from browsers receiving the HTML until the DOMContentLoaded is fired. The work done by browsers is essentially a preparation to execute your JavaScript logic, thus, it prepares the DOM structure, preloads CSS (if there are any script tags after them) and JavaScript files.
            To optimise the site performance at this New Relic layer, there are several actions that can be performed:
            • make fewer requests to retrieve JavaScript and CSS files
            • minify and compress JavaScript and CSS files
            • set caching headers so that static files could be cached by the client
            • reduce the number of DOM elements
            • use a CDN for the static files
          4. Page Rendering time is the time a browser takes to download everything needed after the DOMContentLoaded event; this is usually the time when all the images are downloaded. Similarly as for the JavaScript and CSS files, the list of actions available to optimise the delivery of static content includes:
            • optimising image files
            • using CSS sprites instead of multiple images
            • using correct caching headers
            • using a CDN to bring your content closer to the user (there’s also a chart for that, shown later in this post)

An extended list of rules and how they affect your website’s frontend performance can be found at Best Practices for Speeding Up Your Web Site. Also, there are several tools that can help you to analyse the frontend performance such as Yahoo’s YSlow or Google’s PageSpeed.

More information about the Real User Monitoring functionality can be found at How Does Real User Monitoring Work? (New Relic documentation) or How we provide real user monitoring: A quick technical review (New Relic blog).

Throughput Charts

Even if your application is performing very well, it is only performing this way given the request rate at that time. As the number of users on the site increases, new bottlenecks “appear” – which can slow the overall usage of the site or even bring it down. As a result, the rate your application is handling the requests is at least as important as the time it takes for your application to send the response.

There are two separate throughput lines available – one for the browser requests and one the application. The browser throughput tells how many pages were requested per minute. Some of those requests may be served from cache before even reaching the application server, other pages may include additional application requests via Ajax. Thus – the two lines may be completely different and suggest different optimisation targets.

Apdex Rate

In addition to measuring your website performance in time, New Relic provides an Apdex score, which tells how many of your site visitors were satisfied, tolerating or frustrated by the response time of the application.

Once the target times for the browser and application servers are set, it will be used to calculate the Apdex ratio:

• satisfied requests are all requests that have completed in less than the target time (T), and “pull” the Apdex score towards 1.0
          • tolerating requests are those which have taken more than T, but less than 4*T. These requests are given the score of 0.5
          • frustrated requests are all the rest, and their Apdex score is 0.0

The main difference between using the Apdex ratio and the application response time, is that no one request (outlier) can affect the global ratio more than any other. This makes it a more scientific metric for the global overview of your site’s performance if your goal is to answer the question “what proportion of the site visitors see a page loaded quickly enough?”.

For more information about the Apdex score see the New Relic documentation about this metric.

Worldwide Site Delivery

Is your site performing well for local users? What about the users overseas? The Internet is really fast these days, however it is not instant. The further your user physically is from your servers, the longer distance the information packets will have to travel.

To get a glimpse of how your site is performing for different countries, you could look at the worldwide Apdex chart. New Relic also provides more detailed information for the enterprise customers.

Since the performance problem in this case is usually due to the global network speed, there is no fix that can be applied locally – you’ll need to bring your service closer to the user. Depending on your application needs one or more of the following measures can be employed:

• use a CDN to serve static files from local servers
          • use local dynamic content caching servers for slower areas
          • implement your service locally for the slower areas

Enterprise Functionality

“The Total Package!”

The basic functionality that New Relic offers for free can give us a lot of valuable insights about the global site performance. We can see what areas need more attention than others and this alone can save some precious time while optimising the site. Yet, it does not provide some of the (sometimes crucial) information; where exactly is the bottleneck?

In addition to the free Lite account New Relic offers two more plans (Standard and Pro) which extend the basic reports and introduce some new ones, allowing you to drill down to the root of performance problems quickly and efficiently.

Application Profile Traces

One of the best features offered to help debug performance problems is the comparison between different web transactions and the ability to see timed application traces of slow calls. New Relic provides charts similar to those described above for each web transaction type (provided that New Relic supports the framework you’re using). Also, a list of slow transaction traces is included with the detailed information.

There are already several tools available to profile your PHP code, such as Xdebug and XHProf. Xdebug is a really powerful development tool as well as offering profiling capabilities. XHProf is simple to configure and relatively easy to use, and there are also companion tools such as XHGui which make life even easier. So what is different about New Relic?

The code profiling trace that New Relic provides is a call tree with only Incl. Wall (absolute and relative) information. This tree alone is not very well suited for a generic code analysis since it does not provide the count of how many times a method was invoked, nor its total time during the application run. The power of it is that it is integrated with all other New Relic features and is easily accessible for a quick review once a slower transaction is detected. In addition to PHP code profiling, New Relic also provides a separate report for slow SQL statements, with their execution times and call counts.

With the help of these integrated traces, finding slower pieces of the application code is a straightforward task, helping to keep the focus on the site as a whole while still being able to detect problems and pinpoint them to the method level.