NGINX Plus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

NGINX Plus is #4 ranked solution in top Application Infrastructure tools and #7 ranked solution in top Application Delivery Controllers. IT Central Station users give NGINX Plus an average rating of 8 out of 10. NGINX Plus is most commonly compared to IIS:NGINX Plus vs IIS. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 29% of all views.
What is NGINX Plus?

NGINX Plus is the all‑in‑one application delivery platform for the modern application development.

NGINX is the world’s most popular all‑in‑one application delivery platform for the modern application development. NGINX Plus adds enterprise-ready features for HTTP, TCP, and UDP load balancing, such as session persistencehealth checksadvanced monitoring, and management to give you the freedom to innovate without being constrained by infrastructure.

NGINX Plus is a cloud‑native, reverse proxy, load balancer, and API gateway. NGINX Plus boasts scalable and reliable high availability along with monitoring to support debugging and diagnosing complex application architectures. Active health checks proactively poll upstream server status to get ahead of issues, and the integrated live activity monitoring dashboard provides a single‑pane view of your app environment. The NGINX Plus API enables integration with existing tools, optimizing resources and reducing tool sprawl.

NGINX Plus extends NGINX Open Source with many additional features and support, providing customers with a complete application delivery solution.

NGINX Plus was previously known as NGINX.

Download the Application Delivery Controllers (ADC) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

NGINX Plus Customers

Locaweb, AppNexus, Wix, Reliam, Montana Interactive, MuleSoft, Warpwire, Discovery Education, InkaBinka, WordPress.com, Gogo, GOV.UK, NASA

NGINX Plus Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about NGINX Plus pricing:
  • "Compared to other similar solutions on the market, I think it's over-priced."

NGINX Plus Reviews

DK
Head Of Technology at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A reliable solution for load balancing, cluster production and more

• "I think installation only took a couple of minutes — no more than 10 minutes."
  • "The scaling should be built into the software rather than configured from an outside source."

What is our primary use case?

We use NGINX as solution for load balancing our cluster production.

Currently, we don't have any plans to increase the usage because each license costs around $2000 - $2500.

How has it helped my organization?

We use open source nginx.

What needs improvement?

Their license fee has gone up, so that is one concern that we have. We are looking for alternative solutions which compare well and fit into our budget.

We are interested in an open-source version with the same set of features. We had to do a lot of custom coding around open source NGINX, which we were able to do.

Compared to other similar solutions on the market, I think it's over-priced. If they reduced the price by 50%, then I would definitely like to continue with them.

Regarding cluster-management, I should be able to provide configuration directly rather than bringing down the software and then updating it and taking it back down again.

Without going offline, if we can manage load balancing as a cluster — meaning I have to bring them down, update them, and then take it back. If that could be more dynamic, that would answer all of my requirements.

I have been using this solution for almost ten years.

NGINX is stable, but scalability-wise, there would be some downtime while managing a cluster of nginx.

There have been multiple occasions where they have taken their sweet time. We had the cheapest license that we could buy from them; because of that, they have a turnaround time of seven days to respond.

Previously, we used Apache and another solution, but I can't remember the name. It took roughly 30 minutes to scale up and down; that's one of the reasons why we switched to NGINX.

The initial setup can be complex. You really have to have a good understanding of their configurations. On a scale from one to five, I consider it a three.

I think installation only took a couple of minutes — no more than 10 minutes.

We implemented it ourselves.

It takes roughly 10 minutes if I have to change the cluster or upgrade the cluster, but in the same cluster, there's no downtime as such. If I want to add additional systems, it is quite easy.

Only when we want to downsize the load balancers, then we have a little bit of downtime — two to three minutes, max. We do it in the middle of the night.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I think it works for a smaller cluster — it really depends on what your team is trying to achieve.

I think it's a really good product for startup projects of medium size clusters, but once your customer base starts hitting big numbers then managing clusters becomes challenging. If you go beyond the limit, then you'll start to see a negative impact.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of Nine.