NGINX Web Application Firewall Overview

NGINX Web Application Firewall is the #13 ranked solution in our list of top Web Application Firewalls. It is most often compared to AWS WAF: NGINX Web Application Firewall vs AWS WAF

What is NGINX Web Application Firewall?

Even when you understand security, it is difficult to create secure applications, especially when working under the pressures so common in today’s enterprise. The NGINX Web Application Firewall (WAF) protects applications against sophisticated Layer 7 attacks that might otherwise lead to systems being taken over by attackers, loss of sensitive data, and downtime. The NGINX WAF is based on the widely used ModSecurity open source software.

NGINX Web Application Firewall is also known as NGINX WAF.

NGINX Web Application Firewall Buyer's Guide

Download the NGINX Web Application Firewall Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

NGINX Web Application Firewall Customers

m.a.x IT

NGINX Web Application Firewall Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about NGINX Web Application Firewall pricing:
  • "The licensing fees for this solution are pretty expensive for what it does, but there is no alternative."
  • "Our licensing costs are about $40,000 a year."

NGINX Web Application Firewall Reviews

AmirIlany
Chief Technology Officer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Jan 29, 2020
A stable system with good security and load balancing

What is our primary use case?

We use WAF as part of our security solution, protecting applications such as internet banking. It is used both as a web application firewall and for load balancing.

• "The most valuable feature is that I can establish different services from the firewall."
  • "The configuration needs to be more flexible because it is difficult to do things that are outside of the ordinary."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to plan well. You have to make sure that you plan ahead and know what it is that you want to achieve, then gather all of the relevant information. Otherwise, if you start to configure it and then find out that you don't have the right application server, or the right policy, or the proper certificate to install and configure it, then the installation will be very long. On the other hand, if the plan is very good and you have all of the details in advance, along with the right people to test it, then it should be straightforward. I…
reviewer1270980
Product Manager - Technical at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Nov 24, 2020
WAF is very good at tracking mitigation, inclusion, prevention, and the parametric firewall

What is our primary use case?

I'm carrying out some research work on NGINX because I am in academia. All my use cases relate to scaling from private to public cloud and vice versa. The other use case is for our perimeter security for cloud-based EDCs. We are customers of NGINX and I'm a technical product manager.

• "WAF is useful to track mitigation, inclusion, prevention, and the parametric firewall."
  • "It's challenging if you need to go for a high throughput."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend getting your deployments before you jump into buying or trying out this solution. Have a clear road map for your deployments and your future solutions. The solution has a rich feature set but on the down side is the issue with the high throughputs. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
Find out what your peers are saying about F5, Microsoft, Amazon and others in Web Application Firewall (WAF). Updated: January 2021.
456,495 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Vijay Lalwani
Manager - Cyber Security (SOC) at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Feb 15, 2020
Easy to analyze security abnormalities, stable, and the support is good

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to protect our entire set of web applications. This includes protecting against vulnerabilities as a result of programming errors.

• "The most valuable feature is that there is a link in the system that will help to analyze the security of an application when something abnormal is found."
  • "Setting policies and parameters through the UI should be more automated because the process is manual, where we can only edit one rule at a time."

What other advice do I have?

Based on my experience, this solution is better than the other choices on the market. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Download our free Web Application Firewall (WAF) Report and find out what your peers are saying about F5, Microsoft, Amazon, and more!