Nintex Workflow Overview

Nintex Workflow is the #9 ranked solution in our list of top Process Automation tools. It is most often compared to K2: Nintex Workflow vs K2

What is Nintex Workflow?

At Nintex, our goal is to make work more meaningful by improving business processes. With the Nintex Platform, your organization can manage, automate, and optimize your business processes - all with clicks, not code.

Nintex Workflow is also known as Nintex Workflow Platform.

Download the Business Process Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Nintex Workflow Customers

Asiacell, Hawke’s Bay Regional Council, National Metrology Institute of South Africa, Norwegian Olympic Committee, Schnitzer Steel, MT Højgaard, Lippuner

Nintex Workflow Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

JC
Managing Director with 11-50 employees
Works well in conjunction with SharePoint, but the security features need improvement

What is our primary use case?

We implemented this product for a client. We have done quite a good number of workflows in connection with SharePoint.

• "We were able to meet all of the requirements for functionality that were specified, and we did not experience challenges where we had to compromise on functionality."
  • "The security features for this solution need to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good solution, and our client is very happy with it. We were able to meet all of the requirements for functionality that were specified, and we did not experience challenges where we had to compromise on functionality. Nintex will give you what you want to achieve. As long as you have the discipline to check at every stage and ensure that you are working towards what you want to achieve, you will be successful. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
MM
Technical Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reduces time spent on manual processes but did not scale with our usage

What is our primary use case?

In our company, we have different deals, each with a small number of workflow processes. They were primarily using email for approvals that followed. So, we replaced this with Nintex wherever possible. Through Nintex forms, we were able to customize these as well.

• "It has helped us a lot, especially during the initial phase of a project where most of the things are done on paper."
  • "We are currently facing a lot of issues with Nintex, and we are trying to move away from this solution."

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution for mid-scale deployment and mid-scale usage, but as the usage increases, the issues along with it also increase. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Nintex, K2, Camunda and others in Business Process Management. Updated: May 2021.
510,534 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Senior Application Analyst / Business intelligence Specialist at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
It seems very server intensive. Used to create workflows and forms to handle business processes.

What is our primary use case?

We use Nintex for processing workflows and forms for SharePoint 2010. Moslty for approval workflows and tracking requests.

• "It creates workflows to handle business processes. It allows us to route approvals to users without human intervention."
  • "Nintex seems to be very server intensive. It is one of the reasons that we are moving to a different product on the SharePoint 2016 platform."
SharePoint/Office 365 Architect, Team Lead at a mining and metals company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Can automate many different business processes for several different departments

What is our primary use case?

To automate paper processes or digital processes which are typically focused around capturing information from emails, approvals, and business documents.

• "Our solutions using Nintex has been most successful in automating HR processes because it allows you to easily and rapidly build solutions that conform to the unique business processes for each entity."
  • "This tool set makes it easy to integrate current processes and increase adoption rates and usage for the tool, as well as the process changes to update it on the fly."
  • "​Bring all features available from the on-premise product into the cloud version and the workflow error reporting.​"
Associate at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Provides data accuracy with fewer failures

What is our primary use case?

To automate a manual process through Nintex Workflow in a SharePoint environment.

• "It provides data accuracy with fewer failures."
  • "It saves time as tasks are automated."
  • "Only Nintex has the feature which allows attachments to an email.​"
  • "I like the feature of getting an email for a workflow error, then I do not have to go through every instance."
  • "Converting a document from PDF to MS Word, or vice versa, needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

For the past three years, I have been using Nintex with SharePoint 2010 as well as the 2013 environment.
SharePoint Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Approvals done via mobile, using LazyApproval, are completed faster now

What is our primary use case?

Automating business processes, such as employee annual reviews, new employee onboarding, and advanced approval processes.

How has it helped my organization?

Approvals are completed faster now that they can be done via mobile, using LazyApproval.

What is most valuable?

Allows us to provide desktop/laptop and mobile solutions to our users. Using workflow for simple approvals and LazyApproval; the feature is easy to implement for mobile approval.

What needs improvement?

NWC forms could be better. The ability to build workflows that are not dependent on SharePoint is very desirable. The forms feature just isn’t as functional as the forms for SharePoint.

Three to five years.
Sharepoint Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
LDAP query action is useful for finding out the status of a particular user

What is our primary use case?

We use it for SharePoint 2013.

How has it helped my organization?

There has been no noticeable improvement.

What is most valuable?

I find it useful to utilize LDAP query action to find out the status of a particular user.

What needs improvement?

User interface could use some improvement. Perhaps integration with Visual Studio or SharePoint Designer would be useful.

Associate Solution Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use, helps automate business processes, notably reduce development efforts

What is our primary use case?

We use it for SharePoint 2013 and 2010, and SharePoint Online (Office 365).

How has it helped my organization?

Able to automate business processes and help reduce a significant amount of development efforts.

What is most valuable?

Workflow (escalation, reminder, LazyApproval, actions, etc.) Ease of use

What needs improvement?

Currently, copying workflow actions from one workflow to another is not possible. Also, the Office 365 solution is not as mature as on-premise.

Three to five years.
SharePoint Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Browser-based Vizio-style designer means no need to install client tools to create workflows

What is our primary use case?

As a Solutions Architect my role is to help my clients implement tools and technology that can build and automate their businesses. While my clients and their environments very widely, Nintex delivers a product that can be used regardless of the industry, division, etc. In most cases we help clients implement Nintex Workflow to automate business processes that can be tedious when done manually, such as information approvals, notifications, and integrations with other system/data.

• "The Vizio-style designer that runs in the browser is, to me, by far the most valuable feature of the solution. It means that the customer doesn’t have to install any client tools to create powerful workflows."
  • "It leverages the out-of-the-box SharePoint back-end. This means that you don’t need to install or deploy additional infrastructure to support Nintex Workflow, unlike some of its competitors."
  • "While Nintex Workflow has pretty robust troubleshooting abilities, I think that improving the default logging and notifications would be helpful."

What other advice do I have?

I have used Nintex Workflow 2010 and Nintex Worflow 2013. I have not worked with a client that has the most recent version deployed. Overall, I would rank Nintex Workflow at eight out of 10. It is a strong product and is definitely best in its class. It offers strong usability with the in-browser, Vizio-style designer, and can also deliver on some powerful workflow actions. There are times, when dealing with complex workflows, where understanding the application and its nuances is required.
Senior Solutions Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Streamlines automating SharePoint processes such as building sites, updating content

What is our primary use case?

Process automation, electronic forms, and digital transformation in all versions of SharePoint, on-prem and in Office 365. As a consultant and developer, I have used Nintex everywhere, including the SharePoint-agnostic Nintex Workflow Cloud.

• "Provides the ability to automate SharePoint processes (building sites, lists, updating content). You can also automate document and content processes, onboarding and offboarding, and general IT and HR solutions."
  • "With an extensive list of integrations with LOB data, your workflows can extend far beyond SharePoint, driving adoption of SharePoint."
  • "Built-in reporting on-prem is limited and clunky at best."
  • "Hawkeye is emerging as a reporting solution, but as a V1 product it’s not very useful yet."

What other advice do I have?

Get a trial, talk to a technical sales rep, and just go in and try to build something. It’s pretty amazing how easy it is to use, and trials are good for 30 days. Talk to a premier partner if you can.
Download our free Business Process Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Nintex, K2, Camunda, and more!