Nolio Release Automation Overview

Nolio Release Automation is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Release Automation tools. It is most often compared to UrbanCode Deploy: Nolio Release Automation vs UrbanCode Deploy

What is Nolio Release Automation?

CA Release Automation enables you to seamlessly connect the continuous delivery ecosystem to deliver high-quality applications faster than ever before. With this enterprise-ready solution, you can accelerate and stabilize application deployments from development to test to production. Its advanced capabilities can help you plan, manage and optimize the continuous delivery pipeline to improve release quality and efficiency. With CA Release Automation, get automated, agile release management that’s ready to work in your IT world.

Nolio Release Automation is also known as CA Release Automation.

Download the Release Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Nolio Release Automation Customers

CA Release Automation customers include Citrix, NIIT Technologies, ING Bank, Molina Healthcare, Swisscom, Bupa and Tesco.

Read case studies from customers who are igniting and advancing their continuous delivery journey with CA Release Automation.

Nolio Release Automation Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

DP
Development manager at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Improved our deployment speed, but it may no longer be part of CA's long-term strategy

What is our primary use case?

It's for release automation.

• "It could use better integration with development tools."
    • "A concern with CA Release Automation is that Automic was acquired by CA recently. We're a bit concerned that CA strategy is going with Automic, that CA Release Automation is dead. They are not investing in it too much... They do say, that in the next two or three years we don't need to worry. They will still provide support for CA Release Automation. But we're not sure how CA Release Automation will evolve."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor the solution cost and total cost of ownership are definitely two of the criteria; the product quality, usability, scalability, of course, and the support are key as well. The company's market situation is also important. We cannot afford to go into some risky business because it's a long-term investment, especially when it comes to deployment automation. If I were to consider investing in a new deployment automation tool, I wouldn't switch to CA Release Automation, because of the CA strategy. They don't invest in it anymore. From a strategic perspective, I think it's…
    Tech Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Built-in actions cover most day-to-day tasks. Plug-ins enable integration with other tools like ServiceNow, Jenkins and JIRA.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend it to whosoever wants a good solution for their automation, deployment and release management.
    Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, IBM, Digital.ai and others in Release Automation. Updated: May 2021.
    509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    SQA Manager at a tech services company
    Maintains the maps of different environments in a single tool. Designs development activities from a graphical viewpoint.

What other advice do I have?

Begin with a small project and grow it progressively. If you need a large project, you should acquire professional services.
    Manager - IT at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
    The install comes with built-in plugins for tools such as TIBCO, WebSphere, and IIS. I would like it to have agentless deployment.

What other advice do I have?

Do a PoC of the product and weigh the cons and benefits, before buying the actual licenses.
    System Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Video Review
    Shared components are repeatable processes that you can assign throughout multiple applications.

What other advice do I have?

To be fair, I think that there are a lot of things that it is capable of: deploying out; integrating with other products. The UI and the design can sometimes be a little flaky, and that is a little frustrating at different points, but overall, it's definitely a solution, if you're looking for an enterprise product to do your releases for multiple types of deployments.
    Engineering Manager at EchoStar
    Video Review
    It will alleviate copy-paste errors and transposition errors that affect our customers.

What other advice do I have?

I never give out perfect ratings. I think it's going to be a good, stable product. I know CDD's fairly new. We're doing new things with it. It's exciting that it can be scalable enough to accommodate our part of the production.
    Senior Consultant at a tech services company
    Reuses the flow logic in multiple applications for deployment in different environments.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend trying to build the continuous delivery pipeline, step-by-step. You can do this by integrating the external software solutions for building and testing, such as Jenkins Automation Testing.
    DevOps Engineer - Release Management with 501-1,000 employees
    It uses a VPL to configure a release process. The level of abstraction in the VPL needs to improve.

What other advice do I have?

Look at it as a fresh start and a "clean" environment without any need of prior release methods. You can use it to simplify most of the processes. It is a good product but still needs some improvement.
    DevOps Engineer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
    The Deployment Pipeline shows the environment and release version artifact that was deployed and whether it was successful or failed for each application.

What other advice do I have?

Learn your application's components (backend, frontend, DB) before you start working with CA RA. You also need to teach CA RA the artifact type and version for each deployment. It is best for you to first manually deploy then teach CA RA how to automate it.
    Automation Sme, Release Manager (Grm) at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Provides a web-based GUI, a Release Operations Center, and agent health checks. Can only automate actions when the vendor provides CLI, web service calls, and an API.

What other advice do I have?

This product has become invaluable in terms of saving time and improving time to market. If these are your pain points, you must include this product on your shortlist.
    Specialist at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    With the shared components feature, I created a common flow for applications.

What other advice do I have?

Don't reuse actions. It is better to create a new one. Otherwise, you could lose data.
    Senior Systems Engineer Web Logic Portal Operations/Tech Services at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Provides pre-built action packs for many platforms and appliances, and creates custom actions for legacy platforms.

What other advice do I have?

When engaging technical services to assist in implementing this product, make sure you have thought out your requirements and documented them very specifically. Ask for reference calls with other customers to get their feedback on common pitfalls.
    Senior System Analyst at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Allows you to develop a flow that can deploy artifacts and applications.

What other advice do I have?

Try to study every single feature. This will make it possible to develop really professional deployment flows.
    SQA Manager at a tech services company
    Keeps the map of different environments in a single tool. Designs and manages DevOps activity from a graphical point of view.

What other advice do I have?

Begin with a little project and grow it progressively. If you need a number of projects, get help from professional services.
    FNet DevOps Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    It supports most of the OSs used in corporate environments. They could improve the processes tag comparison feature for better process version control.

What other advice do I have?

It is a really great and flexible tool for corporate-grade deployments, but I would strongly recommend investing in training sessions from the vendor. It's a steep learning curve if you will have to learn the tool on your own.
    Engineering Program Manager at EchoStar Corporation
    Video Review
    We're using it to automate software delivery to set-top boxes via satellite.

What other advice do I have?

It is very customizable; it's very easy to use, to be able to actually put the product together, to build those different workflows that we needed to build; and also with its ability of having the technical staff. The continuous-delivery journey is that we are going from a total manual process to total automation. Our next phases would be including being able to actually automate the sending of the data up to the satellites, down to set-top boxes. For governance, we set up a list of metrics for program managers, for senior managers, and for department managers; for time to delivery of the…
    Senior Manager Engineering at a retailer with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Technical and non-technical people can use it. Upgrades are expensive in terms of effort.

What is most valuable?

UI-based orchestration Ease of use of the application from anyone who is technical to completely non-tech folk Great visualization and consolidation of reports across the organization

What needs improvement?

Better integration with new-age tools Open-source integrations Establish a niche with newer players like Chef and Ansible

We have used Release Automation for 6-7 years.

It did not scale efficiently to multiple domains for NES. Upgrades are expensive in terms of effort.

I give technical support 3/5.

Initial setup was extremely complex due to infrastructure challenges and the…
    Associate Director at a financial services firm
    The tools have enabled us to reduce the downtime that is required to make any release.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, one of the most important aspects is the size. There are many small players in the industry, but when it comes to solutions, look at the kind of support that those companies can offer. That is a major factor. I would advise others to go with this solution.
    Principal Analysit at a tech consulting company with 1-10 employees
    Allows us to reproduce, redeliver, and redeploy all our various code in a timely manner and with minimum number of errors.
    Senior Vice President, Solution Delivery & DevOps at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    It has improved the workload balance in my group. We are able to shorten our release cycles.

What other advice do I have?

Just get into it and do it. It really makes your life better. Although the product is good, I'm expecting a lot more from it. We are still not using this solution for compliance and governance.
    Technical Project Manager at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    MSP
    Continuous integration connects all our tools, and helps orchestrate all our tools to speed up delivery.

What other advice do I have?

I think everything is good with CA. The most important criteria in selecting a vendor is whether it is satisfying in terms of your needs. The second factor is the cost.
    Platform Development Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We no longer use external contractors for deployment. We would like mainframe automation deployment.

What other advice do I have?

This is one of the best tools that we have. It is helping us to meet our automation goals and to reach 100% DevOps enablement. I would suggest to all those interested to first evaluate this tool and then go for it. Mainframe automation is one of the biggest challenges for us and currently the product doesn’t address it. We hire external contractors that carry out the deployment process and the cost for each deployment works out to around $400. Automating this process can save us huge amounts of money and time. This product is one of the key pillars for us. The three main vertical stacks…
    Software Build & Release Architect/ DevOps at HMS
    We can deploy multiple components in multiple environments. It provides visibility with logins.

What other advice do I have?

First, when you adapt your solution of Release Automation, you need to know what you actually want. What do you need, why you are doing what you're doing? Second, if the product satisfies your needs today, you need to look five years into the future. For the next five years, what are you going to achieve; then make the decision. I think Release Automation would help a lot.
    Engineer III at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We use it for automated deployment of both Windows and AIX applications. Action creation and installation is complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest to take the solution and first try to check on how it's helping out the deployment. Just check the trial version, and if it works, then go ahead and get it. It's a pretty good product and it's working for us.
    Systems Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The process design tools included are easy to use. We are constantly having to re-connect execution servers and agents that go offline.

What other advice do I have?

If the stability issues are truly addressed in the latest version of the product then I would absolutely recommend this product to anyone looking for a good way to standardize and report on deployments for various applications spanning multiple platforms and physical locations.
    Manager, SCM and Release at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Video Review
    We've been able to stack multiple different server type deployments along the database deployments, have them all dependent on each other appropriately and report out the successes or problems.
    Director DevOps at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Video Review
    We previously used a home grown tool which was no longer scalable. We found that CA's tool is stable and it's able to adapt.

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation would be: a) buy the tool, b) recognize that it's a journey. It's not something that it's a binary thing that's going to happen overnight. You've got to continually sell it and treat it as an ongoing initiative. We're post the projectization of it, and we're still bringing people on board to the process. I would recognize that this is a continuous delivery, if you will, exercise that I don't think ever stops because your code and your code base is constantly evolving. There are things that you can continually do, integrate it with your change management environments…
    Manager, Enterprise Release and Deployment at TIAA-CREF
    Video Review
    It's a strong and stable deployment engine. Support has been very responsive.

What other advice do I have?

The reason I'd rate it 8/10 is because it is a very strong, stable deployment engine. It's very scalable. It fits really well with our deployment process. Recommendations: first look at their current processes. How they do the release, how they do the deployments. Look for all the tools. What tool will fit into their process? When you buy new tools, you want to make sure it fits very well to the process. The measurement we take is only two factors. The number of changes going into production and how long it takes. We are able to deliver more. We doubled our release volume but stayed within the…
    Middleware and Automation Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It includes plug-ins to integrate with different ITSM and Source Control tools to automate deployments with REST API.
    IT Governance Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Its benefits to us are of pulling our project together and making us more efficient. It also allows us to have a repeatable process that enables governance and control.
    Manager Continuous Delivery and Integration Team at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Everyone deploys with the same tools, which helps with standardization, transparency and risk awareness. However, we have stability issues on a daily basis as we push the edges of the tool.

What other advice do I have?

Without stability issues and all those internal escalations, it would be a 7 or 8/10. Organize your culture first, then process, then look at which tool you’re going to use.
    Senior Manager Engineering at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It's helped us with a faster ramp-up time, although it needs better integrations with new open source tools.
    Build and Release Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    It has helped us to move from traditional manual deployments to zero-touch deployments, but it lacks illustrated documentation.

Valuable Features:

The product provides readily-available actions to use in the deployment process. The external connectors are made available to integrate the tool with other SCM applications.

Improvements to My Organization:

This is purely an automation tool which has helped us to move from traditional manual deployments to zero-touch deployments.

Room for Improvement:

This product lacks proper documentation with illustrated examples.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for three years.

5/10 - CA has bought this product recently from Nolio and does not have much expertise available to answer our queries.

Other Advice:

Be ready to struggle for documentations and tutorials. You have to do this based on your previous knowledge.
    Architect at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    MSP
    The dashboard allows us to monitor all agents installed on all app servers.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest v3.0 with all the plug-ins, which provides a lot more depth in using the product. There’s also a lot of technical support, customer service, and other online support options with that release.
    Sr Software Engineer with 10,001+ employees
    It's multi-tiered, reduces the number of errors, and has a comprehensive list of action packs and plug-ins.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good product and can help the organizations in the long run, which will lead to higher customer satisfaction.
    Key Account Customer Service Technician at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    We've found that the packaging and client hardware/software information recovery improve the way we function.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, it's a great product, but not that user friendly concerning the deployment server configuration/management.
    Tools Administrator with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Provides an agile solution based on DevOps concepts. We like the ability to share components across an enterprise.
    Release/Build Technologist, PM with 51-200 employees
    Our number of releases per week has gone up because it frees up technical resources to carry out more deployments and automate other areas.

What is most valuable?

Streamlined deployment Visual Progressive feature list

How has it helped my organization?

Deployment workflows has not only increased the confidence in the release process, but also opens up a whole new world to automate the deployment for not just code, but DB, network appliances, application servers, and AWS.

What needs improvement?

To visually find a particular process, flow or action, the GUI needs to be improved, and also made faster as well.

I've used it for two years.

No issues encountered.

Once in a while, the agent gets into a frenzy, and an agent restart is required.

What do I think

Devops Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Provides a continuous delivery solution and full automation without writing and scripting.

What other advice do I have?

This product provides a continuous delivery solution and full automation without writing and scripting.
    Technical Consultant with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Ops teams who used to work in silos are now more coordinated.

What other advice do I have?

You need to have good expertise and flexible, and a conducive environment.
    Software Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It's a good product. Helps with deployment in many ways.

What is most valuable?

The wide range of actions and flexibility in creating the workflows.

How has it helped my organization?

Our requirement was to deploy to 300 servers which used to take two to three days before CA RA, now it takes only two to four hours.

What needs improvement?

The performance.

I've used it for one year and eight months.

The performance degrades as the size of the workflow and the number of target servers increases.

No issues with stability.

We have some issues but we're not really sure of the reason why.

How are customer service and

Manager, DevOps with 51-200 employees
    We needed to automate the deployment of our complex web applications.

What other advice do I have?

Methodology to model the deployment process and the communication between development and operation are the most important. You also have to define your requirements in order to choose the best product, if you can’t CA Release Automation is the most flexible product to adapt itself to your organization.
    Arquitecto de soluciones CA LISA RELEASE Automation at a financial services firm
    It's easy for me to create flows, control statements, and detect errors. This used to be a nightmare.

What other advice do I have?

Setup standard installations for all Operating Systems instances. In the long run this practice will gain time for the implementation process.
    Release Automation Specialist with 10,001+ employees
    Users can easily deploy without actually knowing what is happening in the background.

What other advice do I have?

Go for a higher version and you should probably take the training before using it. Please note that in the latest version of CA Release Automation, almost all the Automation Studio features are going to be browser based, so all the process designing can be performed using browser based systems.
    Manager, DevOps at a hospitality company with 51-200 employees
    The UI makes it easier for non-engineers to understand.
    Architect at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
    Enabled us to significantly reduce deployment time.
    Operations Expert at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    User friendly, flexible tool that has improved my team's activity by 75%

Valuable Features:

- Very User Friendly GUI. - Flexible tool which allow you to build process and flows in simple way without knowledge in programing. - Improve my team activity in 75%.

Room for Improvement:

- Can Nolio make a coffee..........