Nolio Release Automation OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Nolio Release Automation is the #9 ranked solution in our list of top Release Automation tools. It is most often compared to Ansible: Nolio Release Automation vs Ansible

What is Nolio Release Automation?

CA Release Automation enables you to seamlessly connect the continuous delivery ecosystem to deliver high-quality applications faster than ever before. With this enterprise-ready solution, you can accelerate and stabilize application deployments from development to test to production. Its advanced capabilities can help you plan, manage and optimize the continuous delivery pipeline to improve release quality and efficiency. With CA Release Automation, get automated, agile release management that’s ready to work in your IT world.

Nolio Release Automation is also known as CA Release Automation.

Download the Release Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Nolio Release Automation Customers

CA Release Automation customers include Citrix, NIIT Technologies, ING Bank, Molina Healthcare, Swisscom, Bupa and Tesco.

Read case studies from customers who are igniting and advancing their continuous delivery journey with CA Release Automation.

Nolio Release Automation Video

Archived Nolio Release Automation Reviews (more than two years old)

DP
Development manager at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Improved our deployment speed, but it may no longer be part of CA's long-term strategy

• "It could use better integration with development tools."
    • "A concern with CA Release Automation is that Automic was acquired by CA recently. We're a bit concerned that CA strategy is going with Automic, that CA Release Automation is dead. They are not investing in it too much... They do say, that in the next two or three years we don't need to worry. They will still provide support for CA Release Automation. But we're not sure how CA Release Automation will evolve."

What is our primary use case?

It's for release automation.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our speed of deployment.

What needs improvement?

In terms of its performance, we have struggled a little bit because we have multiple instances around the world without a proper support team behind it. After several years we got the new version, and the upgrade was very painful. We had several issues or defects, but CA was responsive and, in the end, they created a fix-pack which resolved the problems. We managed to upgrade.

It could use better integration with development tools. UCD is better integrated than CA Release Automation.

Another concern with CA Release Automation is that Automic was acquired by CA recently. We're a bit concerned that CA strategy is going with Automic, that CA Release Automation is dead. They are not investing in it too much. For new customers, they're proposing Automic online. They even approached us at the end of last year and asked if we would consider switching to Automic. They do say that in the next two or three years we don't need to worry. They will still provide support for CA Release Automation. But we're not sure how CA Release Automation will evolve.

Three to five years.

It's pretty stable.

We have had no scalability issues.

There is not enough support in Central Europe but the central support is okay, it works.

I was not involved in the initial setup of the different instances, directly. We had instances in the US, UK and Singapore. But I was involved in the consolidation or migration program when we migrated CA instances to one central server in a private cloud in Prague, Czech Republic.

It did not go smoothly. There was a lack of knowledge both at CA and within our team as well. We used a consultant who was not so experienced. He wasn't able to help us but when he escalated it on CA's side we got the help we needed. In the end, it was okay but it could have been much smoother.

UrbanCode Deploy, Red Hat Ansible, and we considered Ansible Tower as well. We had some discussions about XebiaLabs XL Deploy, but it was not on the short-list in the end.

When CA is compared to UrbanCode Deploy, the latter is stronger in the development cycle, while CA Release Automation is stronger on the deployment or release automation side.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor the solution cost and total cost of ownership are definitely two of the criteria; the product quality, usability, scalability, of course, and the support are key as well. The company's market situation is also important. We cannot afford to go into some risky business because it's a long-term investment, especially when it comes to deployment automation.

If I were to consider investing in a new deployment automation tool, I wouldn't switch to CA Release Automation, because of the CA strategy. They don't invest in it anymore. From a strategic perspective, I think it's probably not the best tool to invest in.

I would definitely consider Automic. I think Automic is a leader, and I think from a features perspective, Automic is very comparable with UCD. I think XebiaLabs XL Deploy is becoming much more popular, but it's more for release automation. There are companies around that combine UrbanCode Deploy and XebiaLabs XL Deploy.

I would rate CA Release Automation at seven out of 10. It's a good and mature product but there is no future investment expected in it from CA's side. It's a stable product. It provides the features we need, but I am concerned that, long-term, the technology support might be an issue and a reason I would not give it a 10; that and because of the upgrade challenges we had.

it_user568338
    Tech Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Built-in actions cover most day-to-day tasks. Plug-ins enable integration with other tools like ServiceNow, Jenkins and JIRA.

What is most valuable?

CA Release Automation has a GUI which is easy to use and develop the solutions.
    Most of the day-to-day tasks which need automation have been already covered by built-in actions. So you just have to drag and drop to start using it.

It has various plugins, which make integration with other tools like ServiceNow, Jenkins, and JIRA, etc. easy and helps in implementing CI and CD, following an agile approach.

The ROC provides features that help in release management and ServiceNow authentication when enabled, and can make production deployments safe and error free.

How has it helped my organization?

Deployments have been automated fully and now all the teams follow a single, error-free approach of deployment, which is time saving and seldom faults. It helps to implement standardization.

What needs improvement?

I would suggest that, rather than just concentrating on release automation and management, this tool could provide for more automation in different areas, such as database automation (we already have this but still can be improved further).

I have used CA Release Automation for over three years.

No particular issue from CA Release Automation side. if we had any deployment failures it was mostly due to the environment.

The tool is very stable and any issues we have encountered have been due to infrastructure-related issues (servers/VMs) or human error.

We have not faced any issues which scalability till now, but we do not have implementations which are very large.

CA technical support is good. You also have a community where the experts will help you with issues.

I had used IBM RAF for deployments. It does not have the same flexibility as CA Release Automation for automation in it.

Initial setup is pretty straightforward and we did not face any issues.

We had previous knowledge about this tool, so selection was not difficult.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend it to whosoever wants a good solution for their automation, deployment and release management.

Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, IBM, Digital.ai and others in Release Automation. Updated: October 2021.
    540,694 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    reviewer211584
    SQA Manager at a tech services company
    Maintains the maps of different environments in a single tool. Designs development activities from a graphical viewpoint.

What is most valuable?

• Ability to maintain the maps of different environments in a single tool. The way the tool organizes and manages the information to be used in the automation deployment is one of its strengths. It is possible to have a map of all the environments involved in the Software Lifecycle (Dev|Pre|Pro), and maintain, in a centralized point, the actions that are shared between the environments and the specific actions of some environments.
    • Ability to design and manage DevOps activities from a graphical viewpoint. The core of the tool is the workflow. These workflows are designed in a graphical point of view. This is an excellent functionality which is better than XML or other file based actions definitions. You can perform workflows using other workflows, so this increases the reuse of actions and reduces the copy/paste of actions.
    • Ability to manage large installations with more than 5,000 servers due to the 100% scalable architecture. You can install the tool in a simple machine for simple installations or development environments. You can install the solution with redundant servers for critical installations. Also, you can distribute several components of the solution in the way you need in order of manage the deployment of large organizations with a large number of servers, a large number of applications, several technologies, CPDs distributed around the world, mix models including cloud and on premise hardware, etc. You maintain a unique point of access for all of this, sharing actions, dashboards, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

There have been improvements in several kinds of projects:

• Projects with more than 5,000 servers and daily deployments.
    • Projects in which we must manage the deployment in a cloud environment based on the monitoring. As the number of users grows, we must deploy a cloud environment and deploy the applications. If the number of users decreases, we must uninstall the applications and release the cloud infrastructure.
    • Deploying applications in a continuous integration environment, including deployment, QA, pre-production, and production environments.

What needs improvement?

Integration with other technologies such as Dockers. The solution has the capability of integration with other technologies, and I can do this without problems. The issue is that all the tasks are performed and managed in an ad-hoc manner. I think that it will be interesting to increase the standards.

We have used this solution for more than five years.

We encountered a stability issue, but it will be solved with the collaboration of the CA teams.

We have not encountered any scalability issues. It is very important to perform a correct design of the architecture beforehand.

The level of technical support is good.

I use open source solutions like Puppet and Chef. These solutions require a high level of expertise and are difficult to maintain in large installations. For this kind of project, it is better to use commercial tools like CA Release Automation.

The initial setup was simple. However, if you want to use the tool in large installations, there are some tricks you should learn.

It is an expensive tool and the licensing model is difficult to sell.

We evaluated open source, XebiaLabs, and IBM.

What other advice do I have?

Begin with a small project and grow it progressively. If you need a large project, you should acquire professional services.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a preferred partner.
    it_user566886
    Manager - IT at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
    The install comes with built-in plugins for tools such as TIBCO, WebSphere, and IIS. I would like it to have agentless deployment.

What is most valuable?

The built-in action packs for different systems is the most valuable feature. The CA RA install comes with built-in plugins for tools such as TIBCO, WebSphere, IIS and so on. This helps to avoid writing custom scripts to deploy to those kinds of servers. We use those plugins instead.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped with auto-deployment of the pipeline from TeamCity & configuring rollbacks, and seeing versions and release pipeline status.

What needs improvement?

Have an agentless deployment: Right now, we had to install agents on all deployment servers, for it to work with the CA RA tool. Currently, when a deployment server needs to connect with the CA RA tool, it needs an agent installed on it. So, when we deploy to 100 machines, we need to install 100 CA agents on each one of them, i.e., even in the production servers.

I also think that the cost of this product is high. There are other cheaper deployment solutions available in the market.

I have used this solution for more than six months.

We did have some stability issues. Sometimes, my agents on the deployment servers failed to connect with the CA RA server. So, I had to restart the agents on deployment servers once a week in order to make them active again on the CA RA admin console.

Technical support is good. The support was quite responsive.

We were trying out many different solutions and CA RA was one of them.

For the setup, the complexity level was medium.

The price of this product is expensive.

We are still in the evaluation mode with different vendors. Also, some teams are using the CA RA tool extensively.

What other advice do I have?

Do a PoC of the product and weigh the cons and benefits, before buying the actual licenses.

it_user572826
    System Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Video Review
    Shared components are repeatable processes that you can assign throughout multiple applications.

What is most valuable?

Some of the most valuable features of CA Release Automation are definitely the shared components, as well as the tokens. Shared components within this application are repeatable processes that you can assign throughout multiple applications, such as your business types, funding, credit, whatever else, that are repeatable processes. For example, if you wanted to set up an IS site or something along those lines, you would create a repeatable flow process with the application, and then you can leverage token values to fill in something like the service account, the passwords, that kind of stuff, that would actually be populated as part of your IS site deployment. It's pretty cool and a pretty awesome feature that we leverage all the time.

How has it helped my organization?

In our pipeline, right now, it's used as the release. We use Jenkins to build our applications and then it sends over to Release Automation. It's basically changed the way that we're doing our deployments. We now have, instead of three-hour deployments, they're three minutes. As well as, it creates more consistencies in the environments and helps it determine if the issue is with the server, the code, whatever else, when you're actually deploying out. It's been extremely helpful.

Some of the things that we're using for compliance and governance is basically the auditing that we can use with the application, like, who deployed it, when it was deployed, what versions were deployed from dev, QA, train, stage, production. It's been pretty helpful on that one.

What needs improvement?

Some features that it's currently missing are the components that CA has put into their Continuous Delivery Edition product. That product should probably be combined with this product, instead of being a separate product. I would say that that's one of the issues that I currently see with it. I know that they put it in there as separate products but long term, it should really be combined.

We've been using CA Release Automation for about a little over a year now.

The solution itself is pretty stable, as long as you're integrating it with enterprise solutions, as well, using an enterprise database, because it's a pretty database-intense product. Don't try to use some sort of MySQL. Use something that's real, as well as the repository for your artifacts, using an enterprise Nexus or enterprise Artifactory, instead of just the built-in products.

It's pretty scalable, because you could just have multiple execution servers run. If you wanted to have more servers and agents deployed out than you currently have execution servers, you can add those on at any given time.

So far, the technical support that we've had is pretty good. I usually get about an hour response time, especially if it's something that's escalated. The other week, after I submitted a request I got a response in about 10 minutes. They opened a WebEx within an hour, and we were discussing the issue. It was surprisingly well, compared to other technical groups that I've worked with before.

We decided to invest in CA Release Automation because we were trying to find ways to be more efficient in our code delivery. We had a lot of outages surrounding releases going wrong, and part of that is also code not being built automated; versions not being the same from QA to production; just a lot of those little things that built up over time.

We also expanded as a company, so we finally have started looking at everything that we can fix and this is one of the places that we started with.

When we work with vendors, I would say just being able to actually be listened to is something we look for; whenever we have issues, actually getting responses from the companies. I find that CA actually will respond. They might not have everything out of the box that we want, but they'll listen, and they'll actually update their code and add more plug-ins. One thing that they have actually updated; we requested TIBCO version 6 for BW deployments to be added as a plugin, and they're in the process of actually adding that to their new release, on the roadmap.

The initial setup can be open to more of the interpretation of the user. If you want to have it set up baseline, you just want to deploy out one or two types of products, that's pretty quick. It wouldn't take too much time. If you're trying to create it as a central enterprise solution for your company, then that's going to take a while. It took us about six months or so, maybe closer to eight, to actually get our real foundation set before we can quickly onboard and really automate adding artifacts to CA Release Automation.

What other advice do I have?

To be fair, I think that there are a lot of things that it is capable of: deploying out; integrating with other products. The UI and the design can sometimes be a little flaky, and that is a little frustrating at different points, but overall, it's definitely a solution, if you're looking for an enterprise product to do your releases for multiple types of deployments.

it_user572853
    Engineering Manager at EchoStar
    Video Review
    It will alleviate copy-paste errors and transposition errors that affect our customers.

What is most valuable?

We were running approximately 40 manual steps, and we're getting this down to two manual steps, thereby alleviating some of the copy-paste errors, some of the transposition errors that we're currently doing that affect our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

For my organization, in particular, it’s going to improve our throughput. We're not going to have delays in testing, because we had some sort of manual entry error, some transposition error. We should be able to release our software to the customer in a much more efficient fashion.

As far as the role this solution has played in our continuous delivery journey, right now, we're just a very small fish in a big company. We do touch into a lot of other departments. Working with this for my group, if it becomes successful, we can start integrating and helping other parts of the organization also automate.

We don't have a lot of compliance and governance within my group. However, we do a lot of audit and we have a lot of details that we have to track. This is going to help us keep on top of those details; keep that continuity of data; keep us really on track for being able to give a better solution to our customers.

What needs improvement?

Indicating room for improvement is difficult, because we're so immersed in what we're doing right now. There's a lot of things that we can see that can be included. Working with our consultant, he's helping us address some of those issues, especially with tracking and capturing metrics. Our metrics are for very short time periods; capturing those metrics and being able to present them in a way that my management can understand.

We started using it in about March 2016, with our planning and our proto building.

I believe it will be stable. We're still finishing up some introductory things. We haven't done our full release yet. We're in a soft test process right now. I'm starting to see some very positive results with all of that.

What we're looking at is a very small part. From some of the information at a recent CA conference, I can see where we can expand. We can expand into our test organization. We can expand into our further release organization. I think there's a lot of scalability.

I've not had any problems with the tech support at CA. We've got a consultant that's come in. He's been invaluable. We've done some training. We're working right now on mentoring some of my own people to start picking up some of those tasks, so I have not had any issues with CA support.

My organization has wanted to invest in a solution for my group for a couple of years now. It was a matter of just researching, getting the right players in, and bringing in the right development people to start on this. I started on this process about two years ago. We finally got the team set up so that we could move forward on it at the end of 2015. Then we started full blast ahead in January 2016.

Initial setup is a bit complex. We also had to build a front-end solution at the same time as implementing the CA and CDD. What we're doing with CDD is kind of unique. There's been some complexities. There's a lot of business rules surrounding the manual processes; getting all those captured; and then being able to program for them. Right now, we're looking at the 80%. Then we'll be going into an optimization come the beginning of 2017.

We checked out, from my point of view, several vendors, but we have a VP that wanted an enterprise solution. We already had a relationship with CA. He felt that this was something that CA could do for us. We met with them. We feel that they're doing a good job.

What other advice do I have?

I never give out perfect ratings. I think it's going to be a good, stable product. I know CDD's fairly new. We're doing new things with it. It's exciting that it can be scalable enough to accommodate our part of the production.

it_user576462
    Senior Consultant at a tech services company
    Reuses the flow logic in multiple applications for deployment in different environments.

What is most valuable?

• Zero-code deployment process design: With this feature, it's easy to share, discuss, and debug the deployment logic with non-technical people.
    • Easy to orchestrate activities across multiple servers.
    • Easy to synchronize the changes so they happen at the right time in relation to each other and even to pass information between those servers.
    • Has a vast library of standard actions and action packs that cover 99% of use cases of the customers.
    • Has REST APIs and plugins to integrate with external systems such as Jenkins, ServiceNow, Puppet, and Chef.
    • Has a manifest-driven deployment and artifact package to easily reuse the same artifacts.
    • Reuses the flow logic in multiple applications for deployment on different environments and shared components.

How has it helped my organization?

With CA Release Automation, the customers whom I worked with were able to:

• Increase the number of deployments
    • Increase the deployment speed
    • Increase the number of concurrent deployments
    • Lower the error rate
    • Improve the visibility and the reliability of the deployment process

What needs improvement?

I would like to see:

• Improving the shared component features
    • Porting the versioning feature of the shared components to the classic components

We have used this solution for about two years.

The product was very stable and reliable. This was also the case in big installations with a lot of agents involved, thanks to the high availability architecture.

There were no scalability issues. It was designed with scalability in mind. It's easy to manage a big number of agents by adding a new execution server to the architecture.

The technical support is very good. They are always responsive and helpful, and try to resolve the issues promptly.

The initial setup is almost straightforward. The important thing is correctly sizing the architecture based on the number of agents to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend trying to build the continuous delivery pipeline, step-by-step. You can do this by integrating the external software solutions for building and testing, such as Jenkins Automation Testing.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I work as consultant for a system integrator that provides professional services on CA Release Automation. The opinions expressed in this review are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of my employer.
    it_user570954
    DevOps Engineer - Release Management with 501-1,000 employees
    It uses a VPL to configure a release process. The level of abstraction in the VPL needs to improve.

What is most valuable?

Using a VPL to configure a release process is a valuable feature. A VPL is a visual programming language where you program visually instead of normal coding.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the working of our organization by:

• Accelerating the release development process
    • Enabling smaller development teams to achieve faster development times

What needs improvement?

The level of abstraction in the VPL needs to improve. There needs to be some improvement in the technical issues, in order to better relate with the machine's infrastructure and network support.

For it to work properly, a VPL must abstract the concept to where it applies, which in this case is a release process. Although in my opinion it is very nice to see it applied in this process in the market, I found, however, that it still needed to improve and abstract more in the aspects of infrastructures, where they were applied. This could make the process more easier for the batch setting variables for an instance.

I have used this product for approximately six months.

Some deployment issues were experienced when dealing with some unexpected network case's architecture.

The technical support is good from CA's part.

I worked as a consultant, so we had very different tools applied. It all depended on the client itself.

It ended a bit more complex than it should. The variables customization per environment formed a cluster of boxes, in the beginning, for instances.

We implemented this product through a vendor team in order to simplify the process and abstract the maximum from the old ways of the release process.

What other advice do I have?

Look at it as a fresh start and a "clean" environment without any need of prior release methods. You can use it to simplify most of the processes.

It is a good product but still needs some improvement.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a very close partner with CA, involved with the implementation done in Portugal.
    Lidor Gerstel
    DevOps Engineer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
    The Deployment Pipeline shows the environment and release version artifact that was deployed and whether it was successful or failed for each application.

What is most valuable?

I really appreciate the Deployment Pipeline where you can see the environment and release version artifact that was deployed and whether it was successful (green) or failed (red) for each application.

The release deployment pipeline in CA RA is the most valuable feature of them all, as it shows the environment and the release version currently deployed for each application.

How has it helped my organization?

It has enabled us to provide continuous delivery and deployment for all 4 environments (DEV, QA, stage, prod) with promotion steps for each environment.

What needs improvement?

I don't think there are enough action packs for each App Deployment function.

There is also a lack of online documentation or step-by-step guides, especially for the CA RA product.

I have used it for 8 months.

We encountered no stability issues.

We did encounter some scalability issues. Only active/passive mode is available for this product and not high availability mode like other products.

We found the technical support to be very low level.

I used Puppet Labs as a configuration management tool and compared it to CA Release Automation. The products are completely different in features, functions and methodology.

The initial CA RA setup is complex for getting you started but after you understand the way it distributes artifacts to its agent and the deployment phases, it then becomes quite easy to handle.

It has its cost and can be considered to be more expensive compared to other solutions.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Learn your application's components (backend, frontend, DB) before you start working with CA RA. You also need to teach CA RA the artifact type and version for each deployment. It is best for you to first manually deploy then teach CA RA how to automate it.

it_user587598
    Automation Sme, Release Manager (Grm) at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Provides a web-based GUI, a Release Operations Center, and agent health checks. Can only automate actions when the vendor provides CLI, web service calls, and an API.

What is most valuable?

For our team, CA RA has made the one-click deployment a reality. It provides a web-based GUI with a convenient dashboard, Release Operations Center (ROC) to manage deployments, and agent health checks.

How has it helped my organization?

CA RA integrates seamlessly with multiple front-end, DB, and MW technologies. The time savings for repetitive tasks is tremendous.

It also provides role-based, user administration where the DEV and QA were given access to use CA RA as a self-service tool. They use it to perform the deployments to their environments in the exact same way as the Release Ops team would deploy it to the controlled environments.

This helps isolate any issues that can occur in controlled environments to artifacts/ENV configurations. This helps us to catch issues quicker and improve our delivery times.

What needs improvement?

The automation designer GUI slows down the host when it is launched. The reporting feature is not excellent. You cannot import/export the workflows effectively between multiple CA RA environments.

Additionally, this product is only able to automate the technology actions when the technology vendor provides CLI, web service calls, and an API for automation. It does not have the capability to connect to the GUI directly and perform sequential actions.

I have had extensive, hands-on implementation experience with this solution for about four years.

We did have stability issues. The tool slows down often. If any agents were to go offline or are in a hung state, we do not discover this until after the deployment has been triggered. The workaround for this is to leverage a third-party monitoring tool to ensure that it polls the agents 24/7 and takes the necessary configured action if the agent were to have any issues.

Scalability was never an issue with this product. However, my experience with the product is limited to having up to 1000 target deployment servers registered on the tool. No redesign is expected as we continue to add servers after the initial PoC of a dozen servers.

The technical support is very prompt and knowledgeable. They go the extra mile to ensure that you meet your end result.

We used legacy UNIX deployment scripts to perform automated deployments through CLI. Maintaining the scripts was a tremendous overhead for the release operations team. These scripts had to be regularly updated to ensure that they can deploy the latest and greatest technologies to which the company was switching.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

This solution is pricey compared to its peers.

We evaluated XL Deploy and UrbanCode Deploy.

What other advice do I have?

This product has become invaluable in terms of saving time and improving time to market. If these are your pain points, you must include this product on your shortlist.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are implementation partners and customers.
    it_user589380
    Specialist at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    With the shared components feature, I created a common flow for applications.

What is most valuable?

I like the shared components and version control.

Shared components:

In my work, we have about 30 Java standalone applications, although every application is different and has specific behaviors. Nonetheless, I realized that all of them can be installed in the same way. I had to design only one flow for all of them. I found that the "Shared components" feature helps me.

I had to create my common flow like a "shared component". For every application, I only had to "import" that shared component. Another amazing thing was that if I had to change something in my shared component, I could easily reflect my changes to all of the applications.

Version Control:

The version control is important because the changes that I make in my shared component can be controlled. I can decide which version will work with which Java application.

How has it helped my organization?

Now we have automatic installations and it is very easy to promote the installation between environments.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a better way to re-use a task. If you are not aware of how to use and re-use the task, you can mix their content or lose data.

When you are creating a new flow, you should reuse a previously created task. My advice is to create a new task, even if it is similar to the one you already created. Every task has specific information. When you try to reuse it, you can overwrite the specific data from another flow that is using the same task.

We have used this solution for six months.

There are some stability issues. Sometimes, the server crashes or throws out of memory. And the import/export function sometimes doesn’t work.

There have been no scalability issues.

The technical support is excellent.

The installation was straightforward. Although we faced some problems, we realize that our flow could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

Don't reuse actions. It is better to create a new one. Otherwise, you could lose data.

it_user577341
    Senior Systems Engineer Web Logic Portal Operations/Tech Services at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Provides pre-built action packs for many platforms and appliances, and creates custom actions for legacy platforms.

What is most valuable?

This product provides pre-built action packs for many of the most popular platforms and appliances. The product allows users to create custom actions when action packs are not yet available. This allows us to leverage this studio across our entire organization.

How has it helped my organization?

We have seen significant improvements in efficiency through the use of CA Release Automation by allowing us to standardize our deployment processes and automate those processes. This has decreased time-to-market for several of our teams and allowed our personnel to spend more time working on higher value tasks.

What needs improvement?

The learning curve for this tool is somewhat steep. While setting up a basic deployment process is simple, improving those processes to include integration into monitoring tools or implementing complex deployment processes can be a challenege. Making the product more intuitive, specifically around process design, would be a great improvement.

I have used this product for two years. we have implemented automated deployment processes for several platforms and continue to look for more platforms to leverage this tool against.

None

There were no issues with stability.

We discovered that administrators can build application deployment processes in certain ways that will cause deployment agents to get hung if you attempt concurrent deployments to the same physical hosts. This has more to do with the learning curve on how to build the processes than the product itself.

Six out of ten.

I would rate technical support with a 6 out of 10. A great deal of the support comes from the user community. This is valuable, but sometimes they are not as well informed as an SME.

We used several different solutions to achieve similar results. One of the biggest advantages for us in choosing this solution was the ability to incorporate, build, deploy, and test functionality in a single pane of glass.

The initial setup of the tool itself was fairly straightforward. Setup of the individual application designs requires a comprehensive understanding of the application involved as well as getting everyone to agree on a standardized build and deployment process.

Licensing concerns play an important role in how you standardize your deployment process. Where possible, take advantage of clustering capabilities that allow you to deploy to a single host and push the deployments out to all the members of the cluster.

We had an environment where each development team had their own set of tools for building packages and all deployment was manual. The evaluation of this product included reviewing the capabilities of Jenkins and Visual Studio.

What other advice do I have?

When engaging technical services to assist in implementing this product, make sure you have thought out your requirements and documented them very specifically. Ask for reference calls with other customers to get their feedback on common pitfalls.

it_user581823
    Senior System Analyst at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Allows you to develop a flow that can deploy artifacts and applications.

What is most valuable?

I really appreciate how easy and fast it is develop a flow that can deploy artifacts and applications.

How has it helped my organization?

As a simple example, we had a manual process to publish static files on a web server. Due to the large number of files and the need to do manual work using another tool, it used to take us six hours to complete it. With this tool, it now it takes us around five minutes.

What needs improvement?

CA Release Automation has a large number of actions and it fits the needs in 99% of the cases. However, sometimes a specific function/behavior is needed and we are forced to call an external command to solve the problem. For example, in regards to the SVN actions, I had a problem where I needed to check for lock and unlock, if needed. However, I could only achieve this by using an external script.

I have used this solution for one year.

The product is pretty stable.

It is possible to have a lot of execution servers, but you can’t put them in a balanced pool of servers. In the majority of cases, agents will be used to reach one specific machine.

When executing a remote command, such as JDBC, it is ineffective to use only one specific server. This will be a single point of failure.

I would give technical support the highest possible rating.

We previously used a different solution.

CA Release Automation really makes life easier as follows:

• Has a large number of available actions.
    • Has deployment pipeline and approval gateway features that increase security to the deployment flow.
    • Integrates with service desk tools.

It is really straightforward to install and configure. However, it takes some days to fully understand how to properly use the tool due to the large number of features.

There are cheaper, or even free tools, but I guarantee that getting this solution is worth the price.

We evaluated Bamboo, HP Codar, and Serena Deployment Automation.

What other advice do I have?

Try to study every single feature. This will make it possible to develop really professional deployment flows.

reviewer211584
    SQA Manager at a tech services company
    Keeps the map of different environments in a single tool. Designs and manages DevOps activity from a graphical point of view.

What is most valuable?

The valuable features are:

• Ability to keep the map of different environments in a single tool.
    • Ability to design and manage DevOps activity from a graphical point of view.
    • Ability to manage large installations with more than 5,000 servers due to its 100% scalable architecture.

How has it helped my organization?

This has helped our organization with several kinds of projects:

• Projects with more than 5,000 servers and daily deployments.
    • Projects in which we have to manage the deployment in a cloud environment based on the monitoring. As the number of users grows, we must deploy a cloud environment and deploy the applications. If the number of users decreases, we have to uninstall the applications and release the cloud infrastructure.
    • Deployment of applications in a continuous integration environment, including deployment, QA, pre-production, and production environments.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see integration with other technologies, such as Docker.

We have used this solution for over five years.

There have been stability issues, but they will be solved with the collaboration of CA teams.

There have been no scalability issues. It is very important to do a correct design of the architecture ahead of time.

The technical support is good.

I used open source solutions like Puppet and Chef. These solutions require a high level of expertise and are difficult to maintain in large installations. For this kind of project, it is better to use commercial tools, such as CA products.

The installation was simple. But if you want to use the tool in large installations, there are some tricks you must know.

It is an expensive tool and the licensing model is difficult to sell.

We looked into open-source tools, XebiaLabs, and IBM.

What other advice do I have?

Begin with a little project and grow it progressively. If you need a number of projects, get help from professional services.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a CA Preferred Partner.
    it_user571830
    FNet DevOps Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    It supports most of the OSs used in corporate environments. They could improve the processes tag comparison feature for better process version control.

What is most valuable?

CA RA supports most of the OSs (unix, Linux, Windows) out there used in corporate environments. So one of the most valuable features is flexibility, as you can deploy virtually any app on any OS using this platform.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced deployment times from nearly a couple of hours to around a couple of minutes, especially on production environments.

What needs improvement?

Tags are virtual snapshots of different deployment processes. Over time, if you often update your processes, it gets hard to track what exact changes were made between the different tags of the same process. This functionality is not working. Therefore, it would be great if the vendor could improve the processes tag comparison feature for better process version control.

I have been using CA Release Automation since 2014.

I have not encountered any particular issues, as all I had to do is the agent software installation and configuration. The vendor and a supporting team installed the system servers.

Unfortunately, all we used for deployments previously was custom scripts, so I can’t compare here anything.

When it comes to agent install, it’s pretty straightforward. I can’t comment on the server installs.

A vendor team installed the server-side software.

What other advice do I have?

It is a really great and flexible tool for corporate-grade deployments, but I would strongly recommend investing in training sessions from the vendor. It's a steep learning curve if you will have to learn the tool on your own.

it_user572850
    Engineering Program Manager at EchoStar Corporation
    Video Review
    We're using it to automate software delivery to set-top boxes via satellite.

What is most valuable?

As an engineering program manager, I was responsible for making sure that we're taking the 43 steps that are our manual process, and automating those. That actually takes our software delivery to our set-top boxes and automates the process to send this technology up to the satellites and down to set-top box. It's total automation of a manual process.

How has it helped my organization?

Basically, right now, it takes our software configuration management team and our download configuration management team 4-5 hours to be able to encapsulate the software with the necessary header information to be able to send it to the satellites, so that it then could go down to the set-top boxes. Through the automation process, we're trying to reduce that to a 30-minute process.

What needs improvement?

How the product could really improve is when we were actually given the product and started to implement it, we were looking to CA to provide best-case scenarios. But because we're so unique, we had no templates to work off of. CA could really work together with their other product lines to give us guidance on governance on how to implement the product; that would be great.

We've been implementing this solution for approximately one year.

What we actually did is, we took our software and moved it to another location that makes it incorporated into our infrastructure up at the up-link center. By doing that, the stability of the solution allows us to be able to do more real-time work, rather than trying to have to do manual entry.

Unlike a lot of the different CA Release Automation products, we actually are very unique in what we're doing. We're actually having to take the software and put into steps that allows us to stop the software automatically, send it out for approvals, get all the approvals signed and back to us, then continue the automation process.

The scalability allowed us to be able to do that. It also allowed us to be able to run multiple processes at the same time. Again, being able to look at our product and being able to target specific set-top boxes or groups of boxes.

Tech support at CA has been very good during our implementation process. When we have technical questions that we need to get back into engineering because we are a very unique type of implementation, they've been very responsive.

EchoStar actually has CA Technologies Release Automation implemented in another team, so we're partnered with the other team. We looked at the product in comparison to building custom applications ourselves and found that using CA technology was the best solution.

What I look for from a vendor is somebody with the technical skills that has the knowledge of the best solutions, best practices; and that has a support team that we can draw on, call on, and that we can then use as mentors as we bring our team up to speed.

We work with CA's technology group for implementation. The setup was actually very straightforward. Because of the components we have involved, we're doing a lot of customizations to the product and then, again going back to scalability, allowed us to scale to those customizations.

What other advice do I have?

It is very customizable; it's very easy to use, to be able to actually put the product together, to build those different workflows that we needed to build; and also with its ability of having the technical staff.

The continuous-delivery journey is that we are going from a total manual process to total automation. Our next phases would be including being able to actually automate the sending of the data up to the satellites, down to set-top boxes.

For governance, we set up a list of metrics for program managers, for senior managers, and for department managers; for time to delivery of the software; and for error reduction. We're trying to reduce our error rate from 33% errors on our software builds, down to 0. We're using the metrics for that. We're also, again, using our metrics to look at the delivery time.

it_user585873
    Senior Manager Engineering at a retailer with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Technical and non-technical people can use it. Upgrades are expensive in terms of effort.

What is most valuable?

UI-based orchestration Ease of use of the application from anyone who is technical to completely non-tech folk Great visualization and consolidation of reports across the organization

What needs improvement?

Better integration with new-age tools Open-source integrations Establish a niche with newer players like Chef and Ansible

We have used Release Automation for 6-7 years.

It did not scale efficiently to multiple domains for NES. Upgrades are expensive in terms of effort.

I give technical support 3/5.

Initial setup was extremely complex due to infrastructure challenges and the…

What is most valuable?

• UI-based orchestration
    • Ease of use of the application from anyone who is technical to completely non-tech folk
    • Great visualization and consolidation of reports across the organization

What needs improvement?

• Better integration with new-age tools
    • Open-source integrations
    • Establish a niche with newer players like Chef and Ansible

We have used Release Automation for 6-7 years.

I give technical support 3/5.

Initial setup was extremely complex due to infrastructure challenges and the specs required to get this implemented.

We implemented it with an in-house team.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a great tool if the developers and ops are separate and the developers do not want to spend a lot of time configuring deployments.

it_user558291
    Associate Director at a financial services firm

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the automation tools. We use them mainly for automating our application releases across various technologies. The tools have enabled us to reduce the downtime that is required to make any release. The release time has gone down from a number of days to a few minutes. I can get that done easier with this tool.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the main benefits is speed. I'm able to reduce the amount of time and resources necessary to do releases. With this solution, I'm able to bring the time down drastically.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a more robust solution. There are few downsides which I already expressed to CA. I'm sure they will address them. For example, I would like to see more disaster recovery base solutions and things like that. I've already done that a few times.

The product has evolved a lot. I started my journey with Version 4.7 and now they have come up with Version 6.1. I'm seeing the product becoming more robust. I'm sure CA will make it even more robust in the coming years.

Scalability also got better over time. It was not scalable when we started with it. The product was designed primarily for small and medium scale organizations. I'm now seeing the product scaling up to large scale organizations. I'm sure they will improve this further down the road.

I have used technical support multiples times. They are very informative and helpful.

I was involved in the initial setup. The product is very simple to setup. Because I'm part of the financial industry, the setup was very complex. From the product perspective, it is not very complex to set up. In my case, I needed lot of failovers and things like that, so my implementation was complex.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, one of the most important aspects is the size. There are many small players in the industry, but when it comes to solutions, look at the kind of support that those companies can offer. That is a major factor. I would advise others to go with this solution.

it_user558180
    Principal Analysit at a tech consulting company with 1-10 employees
    Allows us to reproduce, redeliver, and redeploy all our various code in a timely manner and with minimum number of errors.

What is most valuable?

For us, Release Automation is a very critical tool that allows us to reproduce, redeliver, and redeploy all our various code in a timely manner and with minimum number of errors. We are very careful about compliance and Release Automation gives us full control of the logs. Basically, we can program all this into CA Release Automation. Then, it can be reproduced in a few hours. This used to take days.

CA Release Automation has been so helpful. Our company is very distributed and once our various groups saw the results of using Release Automation, they started using it and management started seeing the real output.

How has it helped my organization?

The main benefit to us is the reduced amount of time spent on migration errors. It also brought us a more efficient way of migrating on command with full automation. And third, most critical to us was that the turnaround time for any particular migration would be predictable. It is much more effective than before.

Release Automation is another baby step towards getting the full environment, fully automated. That is where we are going and Release Automation is a first step in that particular direction. We are making sure that all the steps are in place and automated without human intervention.

Regarding compliance and governance, we need to be sure that certain specific reports are generated for every migration and Release Automation helps us do that. Another issue is what we call job segregation, where, for example, the developer should not have access to the migration to the production. These kinds of things are what we can demonstrate clearly to our compliance team saying that it is possible to do it this way.

What needs improvement?

Of course, we need to test this more, but I want to see much more seamless integration between Release Automation and CA Service Virtualization or DevTest.

Right now we have to do a lot of intervention, and we would rather automate that particular process also. What happens is that not only are we deploying the product, but we are unit testing it and making sure that even before a user accesses it, we are confident that the deployment went well.

Complete automation is very critical for us, and I rate CA SV 8/10 because it is moving in that direction, but it's not quite there yet.

Scalability is the one aspect we are completely sold on this particular product. All our various teams, at various stages, are going to start using Release Automation and we want to be able to manage all that scale. Also, we are geographically a very diversified company. We want certain hardware in certain areas and less hardware in the other areas. We can do that with the Release Automation.

We have done our research and found the customer service of CA technical support to be excellent. It's really good. They are always there. They treat our cases very seriously, and I'm really happy that we get to interact with them. They make sure that they understand our pains and they understand that when we say there are emergencies, they know that we mean it.

We were involved in the initial setup. We did the integration. We are also integrating this particular product with the other HPE products such as ALM, and so we are having our own challenges with that. We are working through those issues. Once complete automation is well done, it will definitely go to 10/10.

it_user558294
    Senior Vice President, Solution Delivery & DevOps at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    It has improved the workload balance in my group. We are able to shorten our release cycles.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ability to shorten our release cycles and to reduce the number of mistakes we make.

How has it helped my organization?

It has significantly improved the workload balance of the people that are part of my group. It's also helped us to have less business disruption and these are the primary ways in which it has helped our organization.

It's far more efficient and has helped us to get things done around 70 to 80% faster than before.

What needs improvement?

There is a continuous delivery version of this product that I believe will solve some of the problems we have; so I'm looking forward to it. Currently we do deployment automation and I want to get to release automation, which is automating everything from start to end. That's what I'm looking for.

There are some technologies that this product doesn't support such as some emerging technologies that we need to build the interfaces for; so if that came as a readymade/off-the-shelf feature, it would help us.

We have been using it for 2 years.

So far, it has been very stable. We have been using it for 2 years and have had no issues. We have experienced some minor issues but nothing major.

We scaled it across our enterprise; we are using it across our entire enterprise.

We started using it for a couple of apps, i.e., somewhere between 40-45 applications; so it is quite good.

We haven’t used CA technical support. We use an account manager for support.

We didn't really use any other solution before. We were using a manual operation which was extremely intensive. Thus, the daily pain involved and the money that we were spending on it were the main reasons for us to lookout for another solution. Money and the time we spent were the biggest variables involved.

For us, it was important as to how quickly we could get started and how much the vendor was willing to invest in us. CA was willing to invest in us as much as we were willing to invest in them; that made the difference.

It was a very straightforward process. It took us a couple of weeks to set it up. I wasn’t involved in the process myself but was told by the technical team that it was easy.

We looked at a whole bunch of other solutions, namely XL Deploy from XebiaLabs.

The reason why we decided to choose CA was because of the completeness of this product, what it came up with and the fact that CA was willing to take a risk with us. They were not getting paid until we were successful in using the product and that made a big difference.

What other advice do I have?

Just get into it and do it. It really makes your life better.

Although the product is good, I'm expecting a lot more from it.

We are still not using this solution for compliance and governance.

it_user558582
    Technical Project Manager at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    MSP
    Continuous integration connects all our tools, and helps orchestrate all our tools to speed up delivery.

What is most valuable?

Their products are near the market. They cover everything that we need on the customers’ side. Their products also get frequently upgraded, so they keep apace with new technology and new stacks.

How has it helped my organization?

Everyone is trying to go into continuous delivery using a continuous integration model. We need to connect all our tools together to see which products are helping us orchestrate all our tools to speed up delivery.

What needs improvement?

We need to see how they're going to harness Big Data in terms of Java.net, distributed stack, and going into the mainframe.

Whenever we pick a new solution and we try to install it, there are some hiccups in the initial stage. Once that is done, I think the issues are small.

As far as I know, the new products are scalable. I think that all of their products are scalable. CA takes care of scalability. They build their products so they can be scaled up.

Recently I used support for CA Rally, and I think it was really good. We got good support. They were able to resolve our issues and queries.

Originally, there was no solution. Then there was a solution, but it was in small cell buckets. Now the solutions are getting integrated together.

I've been part of certain POCs and the pilot. I think it was straightforward, not complex. But in some scenarios, it is complex. The level of complexity actually depends on which tool we are picking. On average, it is actually moderately complex.

What other advice do I have?

I think everything is good with CA.

The most important criteria in selecting a vendor is whether it is satisfying in terms of your needs. The second factor is the cost.

it_user558546
    Platform Development Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We no longer use external contractors for deployment. We would like mainframe automation deployment.

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature of this product is faster delivery time. Initially, we had 4 days for deployment which has now changed to only a few minutes for core deployment. For database schema changes, we are performing automated deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, we were hiring external contractors who were responsible for deployment. Now, we have removed them from the equation and instead we are using this tool. This has benefited us, not just in terms of costs for paying the external vendors but also enables faster delivery time, that has been reduced from days to a couple of hours.

What needs improvement?

We would like mainframe automation deployment. It is one of the biggest components in our organization. For distributed applications, we obviously need to have more on the mainframe, as well, so that we can have 100% accomplishment. So, we would like to see mainframe automation.

It is good and is doing what it is supposed to do. I don't see any challenges. After observing the success rate for deployment, we are getting more participation from different applications; so, it is doing good as expected.

We have experienced no scalability issues. The agents are always up and running, so no complaints.

For any product enhancements or any challenges/issues experienced, we have used the technical support. It is good and responsive.

We were not using any other product prior to this one. We were carrying out the entire process manually.

I was not involved in the setup process but we were involved in product evaluation.

What other advice do I have?

This is one of the best tools that we have. It is helping us to meet our automation goals and to reach 100% DevOps enablement. I would suggest to all those interested to first evaluate this tool and then go for it.

Mainframe automation is one of the biggest challenges for us and currently the product doesn’t address it. We hire external contractors that carry out the deployment process and the cost for each deployment works out to around $400. Automating this process can save us huge amounts of money and time.

This product is one of the key pillars for us. The three main vertical stacks involved are building, testing and deployment. This tool addresses release automation completely, which is one of the key components in DevOps. Deployment of mainframe components delivery is an outstanding feature. I wouldn’t say that it is giving a 360-degree view but it is working good in terms of distributed applications.

The compliance and governance process is completely isolated from deployment. Currently, we still use the service for Change Management and Release Management processes. This will continue but we are not integrating with release automation; it will be isolated.

Nikhil Vyas
    Software Build & Release Architect/ DevOps at HMS
    We can deploy multiple components in multiple environments. It provides visibility with logins.

What is most valuable?

We were using an in-house developed release tool, but we wanted to achieve better orchestration in our workflow. We wanted to be able to release more frequently and have greater visibility for our team. CA Release Automation gave us the flexibility to deploy multiple components in multiple environments. We do data warehousing so we have Java and WebLogic components, as well as web services, and everything can be deployed with a single tool. I really value that. As one who designed our release workflow, with the help of my team, I think that CA Release Automation is a very, very good product. We can now deploy whenever we want. We have more visibility with more logins. Our users are very happy too.

How has it helped my organization?

Right now, our developers are very, very excited to use it. We can release multiple code features at one time. That is the biggest benefit. In large projects, there are often code dependencies between applications. Now, we have set up a list of dependencies, with the help of expert's at CA technical support. If we have for example, one application that is dependent on two more applications, we can deploy all three together. None of the applications will be down. They are always current with the latest features. That's what I love about it.

As of now, we are looking into continuous development. This will be taken into consideration as management makes the final decision. We are evaluating quite a few options. We are going to implement that very soon.

We also have implemented rules for compliance and governance. We have created multiple environments and every user group has access to the different environments. We restrict users from accessing higher environments without approval.

What needs improvement?

I know that continuous delivery's already coming, but I still need to see how it will work out. What I personally want to see is more features for data warehousing deployment. Right now, I prefer Informatica. We want an action pack to deploy completely on Informatica. All actions for DB2 and its SQL servers are implemented and almost all the actions for WebLogic. I would love to see something coming out for Informatica.

I believe it's pretty stable. Of course, there are chances of improvement in any tool or any application. But CA Release Automation is a pretty stable application where one core piece can communicate to multiple sources and targets, which I love personally.

It can be scaled up to more than 2,000 action items. We are using about 400 actions as of now. However, due to the complex flow we use for internal company needs, we are actually doing more than a thousand.

Technical support is very good. They have always been available.

We were using an in-house developed release tool, but wanted better orchestration for our releases.

The initial setup was straightforward. We did encounter a few issues, such infrastructure configuration, but I didn't think there was any major problems.

What other advice do I have?

First, when you adapt your solution of Release Automation, you need to know what you actually want. What do you need, why you are doing what you're doing? Second, if the product satisfies your needs today, you need to look five years into the future. For the next five years, what are you going to achieve; then make the decision. I think Release Automation would help a lot.

it_user558447
    Engineer III at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We use it for automated deployment of both Windows and AIX applications. Action creation and installation is complex.

What is most valuable?

We use it for data deployment. Before implementing this tool, we used to do deployment manually and it used to take us close to two months at a time. Once we got this tool, it initially took close to 6 months to create a complete framework and work flow. But once everything was done, everything was set up and could be performed with the click of a button. It now takes around two hours for us to deploy any product. It used to take close to two months, including preparation.

How has it helped my organization?

We are saving a lot of manual hours with this tool. That is the most important thing. And it's very flexible. We can implement changes fast with this tool. We learned about this deployment tool from CA. It's really effective in the department in different moments for different applications, be it of Windows or AIX. We can deploy whatever we want with this tool.

What needs improvement?

The most important thing is the release automation. There are a few things which we already raised at a recent conference, such as the release XML. In order to replace that, we needed to go in the server, delete it, and then recreate the pre-plan. This is time consuming. It should be straightforward from the web application server. There are too many steps, and we already raised this issue in the forum and I don't know whether the RA people are taking care of that or not.

I think the action creation could be much easier. During the process of transition from RA guys to actual CA people, they should have given us some kind of training on that process. There wasn't enough training from CA.

It's stable but there are few updates we need to do because of the new changes. We need to add more actions items, because we were using one tool, and we were deploying the application, so we needed to make sure that that the configuration tool can be used with the help of RA.

It is definitely scalable and it is as big as we need it to be. Because of the actions that we create, we can use them throughout all the applications with the minor changes.

Technical support is good. We still have a few concerns from CA. They have worked with us for a long time, approximately 6-8 months.

It was complex initially. The back end part was the main thing. Creating the action was done completely by CA guys. We just needed to know about the flow and the action. We wanted to learn about the action creation and development at the same time. But we took our time to learn those things.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest to take the solution and first try to check on how it's helping out the deployment. Just check the trial version, and if it works, then go ahead and get it. It's a pretty good product and it's working for us.

it_user541449
    Systems Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The process design tools included are easy to use. We are constantly having to re-connect execution servers and agents that go offline.

Valuable Features

The process design tools included are easy to use and very good at deploying applications across various platforms and operating systems.

Improvements to My Organization

Applications that have been on boarded into the Release Automation application have shown a decrease in deployment time and down time for maintenance.

Room for Improvement

The system seems unstable as we are constantly having to re-connect execution servers and agents that go offline. In addition, the upgrade process has been painful in our experience and we usually run into issues requiring support assistance.

Use of Solution

Personally, I have been using this product for just over two years. As a company, we have been using this product for about 3 and a half years.

If an agent or execution server is offline then the deployment will not start as the product cannot reach the servers that it needs to deploy to.

Yes, stability is a persistent issue for us. We spend an average of 1 - 2 hours a week troubleshooting offline agents. I am told that a lot of these issues have been addressed in the 6.2 version that is now available and we are in the process of upgrading.

The product seems to be incredibly stable. We currently fluctuate between 50 and 100 agents in our environment with no issue. I understand that there are companies utilizing 1000 - to 1500 agents. The architecture is easily scaled to accommodate high quantities of agents spanning multiple physical locations.

Excellent. CA is always quick to respond and has a workaround to get us up and going in a reasonable amount of time. They have taken the time to understand our issues and what our visions are.

Fair. Determining a root cause for an issue or receiving any sort of permanent solution involving a code level change can span weeks or even months because technical resources seem limited on CA's side.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

CA's reps have been extremely helpful in my experience. They take the time to understand what you are trying to do and then propose solutions and pricing with room for scaling based on resources and budget constraints. This product is licensed based on the number of agents (servers) in the environment so that is a consideration each time we on board a new product into the Release Automation application.

Other Advice

If the stability issues are truly addressed in the latest version of the product then I would absolutely recommend this product to anyone looking for a good way to standardize and report on deployments for various applications spanning multiple platforms and physical locations.

it_user373512
    Manager, SCM and Release at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Video Review
    We've been able to stack multiple different server type deployments along the database deployments, have them all dependent on each other appropriately and report out the successes or problems.

Valuable Features:

The best thing that it offers us is the opportunity to streamline our deployment so that we can have serial and horizontal dependencies. We have been able to stack multiple different server type deployments along the database deployments, have them all dependent on each other appropriately and report out the successes or problems at the end of the process.

Improvements to My Organization:

We have the repeatability, we have the confidence that it's doing the same thing each time the way we've set it up to do and just being able to have the expectation of knowing exactly what's going to happen in the order that our infrastructure needs it to happen.

We rely on it quite often. We use it many, many times during the course of a week or a month and it's held up for us, so it's doing what we need it to do.

Room for Improvement:

Well, I'm looking forward to seeing different kinds of scheduling options and being able to troubleshoot more real time if something does go wrong. Those would be two things that would be very helpful to us.

Deployment Issues:

Deployment was pretty big and there were a lot of dependencies between the different components and we just weren't able to make it work manually.

Scalability Issues:

Scalability, we have added in more and more. We don't have the largest implementation by any means but we've got a very complex system and we add more to it on a regular basis as our application grows.

Other Solutions Considered:

It goes back quite a few years that we've been using this and at the time we were either going to do a homegrown solution or this. Those were the two options.

it_user372552
    Director DevOps at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Video Review
    We previously used a home grown tool which was no longer scalable. We found that CA's tool is stable and it's able to adapt.

What is most valuable?

One, it's agent-based. It allows us to do multiple things at once as opposed to serially, which we had a home grown tool that did it serially. We've reduced our time frames. I think the pre-codified actions for doing the release activities, also is a major benefit. It's something that we don't have to write scripts for, they're already written. We just need to pull them together. Those are the two major things.

The other thing that the tool does that we're beginning to realize is it's addressing what Gartner's calling this bi-modal approach. What we're realizing is that Mode 1, which is your old legacy type of approach, which is why we got the tool. It's fantastic for, but now the new fast speeds using it in the Mode 2 type thing, we're finding it bullet-proof there as well.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the key benefits, what really we're looking at is the quality of the releases, not necessarily the code quality, but the actual deployments and the speed at which we're doing it. Things that we automate are taking upwards of 8 to 10 times less. Now, what we can do is we can do 3 to 4 times more on a release. We just had our largest release ever. Without CA Release Automation, there's no way we could deliver that level of code to our end-customers. It's very stable.

What needs improvement?

We're using it more on the deployment side. What we really want to do is see a stronger or easier user interface. I think the biggest complaint that we've gotten from the development side is that the user interface, the experience is not as good as they'd like it to be. It's hard to comprehend. We've overcome that with a lot of our own solutions, but we'd really like to see that user interface, and would like to see them get into more of the release orchestration aspect. We're actually using an internal solution for that. I know they're heading in that direction, we're really looking for that, and again, that needs to be ease of use. That user experience is critical. The developers have their critical time frames, and for them to figure out and comprehend a new tool is not acceptable. We need it to be simplistic and easy to use. There are some challenges, we've overcome a lot of them though.

Very stable. We were fortunate that early on, one of our internal technicians/architects sat down with CA. Went through the process of designing what the solution should look like. We're benefiting from that up front set up and structure of the tool in order to make it very reliable. It's enterprise wide, it's being used by all groups.

Extremely scalable, that's one of the main reasons why we bought it. It's extremely scalable. We've been able to scale up from probably 100 or so automations to where we're doing 700 now, per release. It's been a very powerful tool. Broad set of technologies as well.

The tool has been so bullet-proof, we haven't had to tap it, but when we have tapped it, it's been spot on.

Our releases were getting bigger and bigger. The demand was getting larger and larger. We knew that the home grown tool was not going to be able to be scalable, basically. It was elongating our releases. We need to get our stuff done in a weekend, and it was beginning to drift into the following week. We went to the marketplace, CA Release Automation was a market leader, we made a quick decision in that direction. We haven't regretted it.

The support we've had with CA in the past had been very strong, those were important to us. Then, the depth of the solution. I think we're looking into the depth of the solution, and the agility and flexibility of that solution, I think were important to us in this decision. We're with a large player, somebody that could support us if we needed. The tool, from everything we had been reading and researching, it could stand up to it. I think those were the things that we were looking for.

The initial set up itself as relatively straightforward, what was a challenge was the roll out. You had competing priorities, you had adoption issues, you had skill set gaps. Not only on the roll out team, but on our development team. What we were able to do was close some of those skill set gaps. It became a journey where we had to show the value to each of the individual development groups, and it created momentum. As we got these development groups onto the CA release automation, they saw the benefit. We were able to take internal environments, and be able to turnaround those environments in seconds as opposed to days. We began to get the adoption. It's getting that initial movement forward which was really the challenge. I don't know that there's anything that CA could've done. It was something that we had to do internally.

At the time we did the selection, no. They were out there. I was not part of the selection process, I know the person that was, and we got release automation before it was known as CA Release Automation. It was then purchased by CA. It was a clear market leader, so we basically went in that direction.

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation would be: a) buy the tool, b) recognize that it's a journey. It's not something that it's a binary thing that's going to happen overnight. You've got to continually sell it and treat it as an ongoing initiative. We're post the projectization of it, and we're still bringing people on board to the process. I would recognize that this is a continuous delivery, if you will, exercise that I don't think ever stops because your code and your code base is constantly evolving. There are things that you can continually do, integrate it with your change management environments, integrate it with some of the other DevOps tools that you can't even imagine what you can do with it. I would say, recognize that it is a great foundation for your release automation, but it doesn't stop there. This tool is holding up to the new requirements that are coming, and that's what we really like about the tool is as the world evolves, this tool is stable. It's stable and it's able to adapt.

it_user373059
    Manager, Enterprise Release and Deployment at TIAA-CREF
    Video Review
    It's a strong and stable deployment engine. Support has been very responsive.

What is most valuable?

One of the major value we assigned the tool is it's a agent-based deployment tool. Our job is pushing code through all, consistently, 24/7 so we want the tool to handle our deployment volume.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits: we are able to deliver more. Our release volume doubled up but our release window went down by 80% so we deliver more and faster.

What needs improvement?

The release orchestration and release automation tool. The automation tool is a very good deployment engine but it's not fitting our release orchestration process so we have to go for another tool to handle the orchestration, integrate the tool with the release automation. I'm looking for more features in the release orchestration.

The product is very stable. We had minor performance issues but we contacted CS Support. They gave us a solution to fix the issue.

Scalability is a good question. We started with one application automation. Now, we automate around 400 applications. We installed close to 2,000 agents.

The level 1 support is awesome, okay. Whenever we open a ticket with CS Support, we got a email response, a phone call, within 2 to 4 hours. If level 1 is not able to address the issue, they escalate to level 2 and level 3 and we get the solution very quickly.

We bought two solutions together. One is Release Automation, because our release planning team had a very strong gating process. We have to go through a approval process. They have a very strict change management process. The release automation tool did not fit really well into the process, that's why we need to go for another solution.

Our application portfolio is growing and our release window is doubled but our customers start complaining, okay when you do release software, we have to take our production system down. We want a tool to move core faster so we can bring down our release window and take a very brief outage in the production.

What other advice do I have?

The reason I'd rate it 8/10 is because it is a very strong, stable deployment engine. It's very scalable. It fits really well with our deployment process.

Recommendations: first look at their current processes. How they do the release, how they do the deployments. Look for all the tools. What tool will fit into their process? When you buy new tools, you want to make sure it fits very well to the process.

The measurement we take is only two factors. The number of changes going into production and how long it takes. We are able to deliver more. We doubled our release volume but stayed within the same release window. We are able quickly, on board application for automation. Previously, it used to take weeks and months to automate an application because they're all skill based application. Repeatable and reusable process in the tool, we build a deployment process. We just onboard an application to the automation.

Middleware and Automation Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees

Valuable Features:

• Continuous Integration is easy to automate.
    • It can be integrated and used for handling releases for many different platforms and tools such as .Net, Java based Application Servers, load balancers, and many others using Standard Action Packs.
    • It's easy to build flows using Standard Action Packs without writing any scripts.
    • It includes plug-ins to integrate with different ITSM and Source Control tools to automate deployments with REST API.

Improvements to My Organization:

• We've integrated it with our ticketing system to automatically trigger deployments and update tickets accordingly, saving a lot of manual effort.
    • Our number of successful deployments have also increased exponentially.

Room for Improvement:

• Error message descriptions need to be more accurate and specific.
    • Error handling needs to be improved in some of the action packs.
    • UI is a little complicated to understand for the new user and needs some improvements.
    it_user352854
    IT Governance Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Its benefits to us are of pulling our project together and making us more efficient. It also allows us to have a repeatable process that enables governance and control.

What is most valuable?

We are currently going through a period of trying to implement CICD, Continuous Integration and Delivery. We've quite a lot of tools in the CI space. Now we want to expand that out to try and allow for automated deployments, so that we can get a more integrated process and workflow, between actually building and creating code, and the actually deploying that into the systems. So that's really what our main focus is of implementing RA.

The most valuable features for us all revolve around the automated deployments, so it's more around the governance and consistency across all the different technologies that we have. We're just in the process of implementing Release Automation, so I think once we've implemented it, and started to get to grips with the initial functionality that's available, we can start to look a little bit deeper, and see what other functionalities are useful.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a lot of CA products within the company and they've all fit our requirements, and I don't see any difference with Release Automation. Its benefits to us are of pulling our project together and making us more efficient. It also allows us to have a repeatable process that enables governance and control.

What needs improvement?

As we're just in the initial implementation phase, I can't say there's any room for improvement, save for maybe the complexity of it because of all the functionalities. I can see why it was chosen from the POC. Once we've got the initial implementation over and done with, we can then start to look at more of what the tool has to offer.

We haven't actually got as far as configuring the Production Instance. We've only dabbled in the POC. So it's hard to tell at this time.

In terms of actually implementing the tool technically, it's straightforward. The challenge that we've got within our company at the moment is that we're in the process of trying to roll out a cloud. It's trying to understand how Release Automation fits with that because I think it's getting very on-premise focused until now. And that's one of the challenges that we've got.

We ran a POC earlier this year. It basically looked at IBM UrbanCode versus CA Release Automation. They're the two market leaders.

it_user348072
    Manager Continuous Delivery and Integration Team at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Everyone deploys with the same tools, which helps with standardization, transparency and risk awareness. However, we have stability issues on a daily basis as we push the edges of the tool.

What is most valuable?

The frictionless end-to-end, automated deployments. Before we did manual deployments working with different parties, we removed those handovers which makes it frictionless. It’s fault-tolerant without human errors; it's agnostic. It’s consolidated on one tool instead of multiple solutions with manual implementations.

How has it helped my organization?

Everyone deploys with the same tools – standardization; it makes the exchange of people within a large organization easier. Transparency, risk awareness, and it offers centralized solutions for compliance checks. Delivery to customers is also much faster, whether it’s an internal or external customer.

What needs improvement?

Stability could be improved. For functionality, it needs versioning.

We push the edges of the tool, so we have a lot of stability issues on a daily basis. The database interface, the users who access that data – when it goes down it affects a lot of clients. It impacts a lot of applications once it breaks up.

There are misinterpretations of data between an application if it’s written in a certain way, fit to use with different databases for examples with the hibernate layer, the layer can wrongly execute.

The RA product itself is able to produce queries which you can easily program, but which translate into taking a huge amount of memory which is not available in a server. If you’re in an ROC you see an overview of all your deployments, maybe 25-50 deployments with the query underneath, which queries everything that hasn’t been run. For several hundred applications that translates into huge overhead and performance problems. We’re working very closely with CA to address these problems.

It’s not scalable; we can never deploy this in an HA environment. We think they have to reprogram the core of the system, but it depends on which environment you’re using the solution in. If you’re using the solution in a less intensive, small business it could be more usable.

They do good work. We’re working closely with them. For our issues we think the solution needs a basic redesign.

Tools from other companies are more focused on Java implementations. We have a lot of off the shelf customers we have to work with, so at that time RA was able to do that. We had a lot of teams already doing work automating their deployments, so we looked for a cohesive approach. We were also deploying Secure Shell, so a mix of agents with Java and non-Java applications.

It was straightforward. It implemented very quickly, it wasn’t an issue. No big issues.

We looked for a solution that was less sales orientated, more roadmap, and had a development culture. That’s something CA can improve. We'd like more support.

We looked at Xebia, UrbanCode, Open Source Jenkins. It was because of use of agents and the ability to deploy non-Java code.

What other advice do I have?

Without stability issues and all those internal escalations, it would be a 7 or 8/10. Organize your culture first, then process, then look at which tool you’re going to use.

it_user345525
    Senior Manager Engineering at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It's helped us with a faster ramp-up time, although it needs better integrations with new open source tools.

What is most valuable?

Usability – it’s good for developers who are both technical and non-technical. This has been particularly helpful for us.

How has it helped my organization?

Helps with a faster ramp-up time. This is the best way in which it has helped us for sure. Otherwise, it's got the standard features for an automation tool.

What needs improvement?

• More stability and customizations
    • Better integration with new open source tools
    • Even more stability for the new version

We use two versions – the older version (4.4) is very unstable, while the newer one (5.5) is much better. So we went from many issues to far less.

We are not able to scale it beyond what was initially defined on the infra-bases, so I can't fully answer.

They're helpful for lots of things. Never had issues with them.

We had always used an in-house tool.

It was already setup when I joined.

We also looked at Atlassian, but CA has been there for a long time and we've just kept with them, especially since they integrate with everything and other CA tools. We also look at the integration focus of new tools.

Build and Release Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    It has helped us to move from traditional manual deployments to zero-touch deployments, but it lacks illustrated documentation.

Valuable Features:

The product provides readily-available actions to use in the deployment process. The external connectors are made available to integrate the tool with other SCM applications.

Improvements to My Organization:

This is purely an automation tool which has helped us to move from traditional manual deployments to zero-touch deployments.

Room for Improvement:

This product lacks proper documentation with illustrated examples.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for three years.

5/10 - CA has bought this product recently from Nolio and does not have much expertise available to answer our queries.

Other Advice:

Be ready to struggle for documentations and tutorials. You have to do this based on your previous knowledge.

Improvements to My Organization:

Room for Improvement:

This product lacks proper documentation with illustrated examples.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for three years.

Other Advice:

it_user6813
    Architect at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    MSP
    The dashboard allows us to monitor all agents installed on all app servers.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is the most valuable feature as it allows you to monitor all agents installed on all app servers.

How has it helped my organization?

We did a pilot - a POC – during which were able to make some progress with the product; it was a previous client, and they were trying to use this product but we couldn’t get it to work properly in the development environment.

What needs improvement?

It could use more plug-ins – at least in v2. Mostly it would have been nice to see it integrated with Jenkins and JIRA to create the tickets, and to be a plug-in for Quality Center.

I've used it for six months.

We wanted to set up the automation continuous integration build process, and then we wanted to create a failure mode so it would automatically create a ticket in some defect management system. We couldn’t get the support, and we weren’t able to achieve our goals, and there were no other plug-ins available for JIRA or Jenkins.

It was in the development environment, but we didn't see anything.

We didn’t use it.

We couldn’t reach out to support because the product didn’t have the appropriate plug-ins.

We used a home-grown product on the IBM side. We wanted to enable faster continuous integration dev-ops methodology.

The initial setup was easy and straightforward.

It was a combination of our team and CA engineers.

It was expensive. In the latest version they have a lot of plug-ins so it would be worth it to invest in that version rather than what we used.

We didn't evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest v3.0 with all the plug-ins, which provides a lot more depth in using the product. There’s also a lot of technical support, customer service, and other online support options with that release.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an implementation partner.
    it_user280932
    Sr Software Engineer with 10,001+ employees
    It's multi-tiered, reduces the number of errors, and has a comprehensive list of action packs and plug-ins.

What is most valuable?

1. Manifest driven
    2. Multi-tier release automation
    3. Comprehensive set of action packs and plug-ins to achieve business requirements

How has it helped my organization?

1. The number of errors have been reduced
    2. A higher quality process has been achieved for application releases
    3. Release Automation's significance and capability led to the formation of a new vertical team called DevOps in my organization
    4. DevOps is being implemented on all the projects in my organization, to enhance customer experience

What needs improvement?

Zero down time during production deployment. Currently we use the 'Bank' concept for scalability.

I've used it for four years.

Yes, but that was later fixed by the CA team in the later versions of the product.

If more than 150 nodes are connected to the execution/NAC server, then we observe slowness in the execution of the processes. This then leads to time-outs, and the deployment fails on some of the nodes.

7/10.

We used to do the deployment manually, which lasted for hours, and it didn't usually work in one go. So to automate the deployments we started using Release Automation.

With the help of a CA team, the initial setup was simple.

We implemented it through a CA team.

We also looked at IBM u Deploy.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good product and can help the organizations in the long run, which will lead to higher customer satisfaction.

it_user265827
    Key Account Customer Service Technician at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    We've found that the packaging and client hardware/software information recovery improve the way we function.

What is most valuable?

The software deployment tool.

How has it helped my organization?

It's a lot easier to deploy software through CA than using a manual process or through GPOs. Packaging and client's hardware/software information recovery are handy features, as is the feedback on license management.

What needs improvement?

Maybe the user interface. We always can do something simpler, even for professionals.

I've been using it for six months.

None that I remember.

It was reliable.

I've not had experience with customer service.

I've not had experience with technical support.

I used Numara Software by BMC, but it wasn't a switch, though; it only was another customer.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, it's a great product, but not that user friendly concerning the deployment server configuration/management.

it_user269043
    Tools Administrator with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Provides an agile solution based on DevOps concepts. We like the ability to share components across an enterprise.

What is most valuable?

Most importantly, it provides an agile solution that is based on DevOps concepts. This is very good for DevOps teams, and I can say that it is a very helpful feature. Some other features which are used by our organization, includes the migration of process design for the Release Operations Center (ROC), the ability to share components across an enterprise, and integration with Chef Tool.

How has it helped my organization?

We were facing a problem to release our code at the decided time. The development team were busy writing the code and then they prepared the build. After this process, the testing team started testing the build. So the whole process was taking a lot of time, then we heard about this tool.

It’s an enterprise-class continuous delivery solution that takes release automation to the next level, providing an agile and collaborative application delivery chain. Now, the situation is that the Release Automation tool tests released script. The Development team spend so much time in developing code and, at the same time, the testing team can test the build. As a result, Release Automation has been able to save us time

What needs improvement?

It does not support integration with Jenkins for .Net

We have been using CA Release Automation since last year.

A little bit, but after troubleshooting it was solved.

8/10.

No solution in place, and we were doing everything manually.

It was a little complex.

We used a vendor team who were 9/10.

It's 8/10.

No other options were evaluated.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are partners with CA.
    it_user216678
    Release/Build Technologist, PM with 51-200 employees
    Our number of releases per week has gone up because it frees up technical resources to carry out more deployments and automate other areas.

What is most valuable?

Streamlined deployment Visual Progressive feature list

How has it helped my organization?

Deployment workflows has not only increased the confidence in the release process, but also opens up a whole new world to automate the deployment for not just code, but DB, network appliances, application servers, and AWS.

What needs improvement?

To visually find a particular process, flow or action, the GUI needs to be improved, and also made faster as well.

I've used it for two years.

No issues encountered.

Once in a while, the agent gets into a frenzy, and an agent restart is required.

What do I think

What is most valuable?

• Streamlined deployment
    • Visual
    • Progressive feature list

What needs improvement?

I've used it for two years.

8/10.

No previous solution was used.

Installation is straightforward and self-guided.

We implemented it in-house.

Not sure how to qualify it, but the number of releases per week has gone up because it frees up technical resources to carry out more deployments and automate things even further.

What other advice do I have?

Start with a proof-of-concept with a complex application on your end.

it_user215889
    Devops Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Provides a continuous delivery solution and full automation without writing and scripting.

What is most valuable?

• Release Operation Center
    • Workflow

How has it helped my organization?

You can integrate any tool with CA RA via existing action packs, either customized, or new. The best part is that you can define deployment pipelines and design the processes accordingly, which can be used later in release operation center.

What needs improvement?

Some of the existing action packs still have bugs which need to be fixed.

For the last two and a half years.

No issues with deployment.

Yes, because of the bugs with the action packs.

No issues unless your are using it in a distributed environment.

7/10.

No previous solution used.

It was a very simple setup and easy to learn.

I used in-house product development.

No other options were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

This product provides a continuous delivery solution and full automation without writing and scripting.

it_user215880
    Technical Consultant with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Ops teams who used to work in silos are now more coordinated.

What is most valuable?

• No scripting
    • GUI based
    • Roll back feature
    • No need of specialized skills for deployment, as the intention is that a tester should be able to do a deployment using CA RA

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits achieved for the clients are:

• Reduction in downtime
    • Less time to market
    • Shorter turn around times in case of failure
    • Earlier development
    • Ops teams who used to work in silos are now more coordinated

What needs improvement?

It is being improved regularly, there are new versions of 5.5, 5.6 and so on. Stability is an area for improvement.

I've used it for one and a half years.

No issues so far, the major task is integrating CA RA with existing infrastructure, which takes time.

Yes, every version had some bugs, which are reported back to CA and are accepted and fixed.

Excellent.

Excellent.

I haven't used a different solution.

It's moderately complex.

It was done by an in-house team.

It varies from customer to customer, I don't have figures.

No other options were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

You need to have good expertise and flexible, and a conducive environment.

it_user215694
    Software Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It's a good product. Helps with deployment in many ways.

What is most valuable?

The wide range of actions and flexibility in creating the workflows.

How has it helped my organization?

Our requirement was to deploy to 300 servers which used to take two to three days before CA RA, now it takes only two to four hours.

What needs improvement?

The performance.

I've used it for one year and eight months.

The performance degrades as the size of the workflow and the number of target servers increases.

No issues with stability.

We have some issues but we're not really sure of the reason why.

How are customer service and

What is most valuable?

The wide range of actions and flexibility in creating the workflows.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

The performance.

I've used it for one year and eight months.

No issues with stability.

We have some issues but we're not really sure of the reason why.

It's good.

It's good.

No previous solution used.

It's easy to setup and maintain afterwards.

It was implemented with the help of a vendor team but I cannot rate them because I wasn't involved with the implementation.

It's the time saved.

We also looked at Visual Build Pro.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product that has a huge set of actions which can help with deployment.

it_user210456
    Manager, DevOps with 51-200 employees
    We needed to automate the deployment of our complex web applications.

What is most valuable?

• The most flexible product to automate deployment process based on the existing infrastructure
    • Capacity to rationalize deployment process according to technologies
    • Capacity to manage deployment error with the option to start, stop or pause the process
    • Dashboard to follow deployment life-cycle
    • Capacity to interact with all technologies of information system as change management, load balancing, application server, database etc.

How has it helped my organization?

We have automated the deployment of our most important and complex web application. We needed four hours to deploy it with some continuous integration tools and manual procedures.

The development team needed to increase the number of deployments. In 12 days, we have automated this application and increased the deployment from 70 applications to 350 in three months. Additionally, we have automated 250 applications in one year in this tool.

What needs improvement?

• Release Management
    • Cache management for agents

I've used it for three years.

You always discover issues with deployment the first time you use a deployment process. Beginning by deploying on a development environment, the risk is reduced. We never met bugs with the tools during a deployment.

Never had any stability issues.

Never, if the action type doesn’t exist you can create it by yourself.

8/10. Support can be better but year to year it gets better. You can also contact developers using the community or during user-groups in London to share your ideas and new features you want to see in new releases.

7/10 because they can be more efficient to solve issues, and you always have to prove that the issues don’t come from your infrastructure but from the product.

I switched from CA Release Automation (Nolio) to Serena Release Automation one time because Nolio was a partner of Serena. When Nolio was bought by CA Technologies, the partnership was broken so Serena advised the client to migrate to a new tool (UrbanCode).

You need an expert to initialize the project. Initial setup of the product is simple as you follow a methodology. This is true for all products.

We used a Vendor Team from CA and in England or France they have a good level of knowledge. Also, an expert such as myself is also a good solution.

Confidential but not much compared to the large perimeter we had to automate.

What other advice do I have?

Methodology to model the deployment process and the communication between development and operation are the most important.

You also have to define your requirements in order to choose the best product, if you can’t CA Release Automation is the most flexible product to adapt itself to your organization.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is partner of IBM, CA Technologies, XebiaLabs, Ansible.
    Arquitecto de soluciones CA LISA RELEASE Automation at a financial services firm
    It's easy for me to create flows, control statements, and detect errors. This used to be a nightmare.

Valuable Features

Visual Design. I've worked with shell scripts in bash all my life, so when I need to do control statements or flows, this used to be a nightmare, but with LISA RA it is easier for me to create flows and control statements, and detect errors.

Improvements to My Organization

Before LISA RA implementation, the developers request for a restart would, for instance, take two to three days. With LISA RA, we developed a process where the restart is done within 10-15 minutes, and this process is used 15-20 times a day, from Monday to Friday. This is just one process, we have another process for DB and storage.

Room for Improvement

Maybe user management, and more hardware architecture, like a mainframe.

Use of Solution

I have used it for two years.

Yes, but we found a way to solve them.

No we didn't have any stability issues, everything is OK.

9/10.

9/10.

This tool is complex, I recommend people design and develop a process with LISA RA who have expertise with shell scripting, and related tools such as SED, AWK, Perl, command line Unix or Linux definitely and maybe Java or POO basis.

ROI

If the enterprise has all standard software installations, the implementation and development not take more than two to three months. In another case, if the enterprise software installations are not standard, it could take one to two years because the enterprise has to fix all software installations prior to doing a standard software install.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Initial setup cost is more expensive, but the day-to-day cost is only for maintenance, design and for people development.

Other Solutions Considered

We didn't evaluate any other products.

Other Advice

Setup standard installations for all Operating Systems instances. In the long run this practice will gain time for the implementation process.

Release Automation Specialist with 10,001+ employees
    Users can easily deploy without actually knowing what is happening in the background.

What is most valuable?

• Process Design
    • Logic Design

How has it helped my organization?

One example would be that we don't need to worry about whether the user who is using it has expertise in certain technologies like Shell Scripting or PowerShell etc. If the end user has basic knowledge of process execution in the product, he can easily deploy without actually knowing what is happening in the background.

What needs improvement?

We are using an old version and a new version is now on the market. As the latest version has lots of new features, I am not certain what improvements are required until we use it.

I've used it for about three and a half years.

Regarding the deployment we haven't has any issues. However, with Release Deployments we have had issues because the release had some issues with packaging/code issues or the release package structure has changed.

Yes, we have had some issue because we migrated a product database from a normal Oracle environment to an Oracle RAC cluster environment. This has affected the performance for some time.

None so far.

Over the years customer service has improved, and I am happy with the current service. It's really good.

It's good, no problems so far. One of the good things is that I don't have to explain a lot if I raise a case with the Tech Support team and their responses are also quick (surely it is based on case priority).

I am not 100% certain because I wasn't involved in the beginning. I think as I mentioned earlier, we were using Shell Scripting for deployment and we needed a level of expertise in scripting to understand those scripts and make changes in it. The other reason was that the support team can focus on operational support rather than live deployments.

It was complex in the beginning, and now its quite straightforward.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup, but I am sure we had a recommendation for the vendor and they were in-house for the initial setup. I did meet the expert team at a conference for user groups, and they were very good.

Yes, we evaluated other products as well, but I am not sure what the other options were.

What other advice do I have?

Go for a higher version and you should probably take the training before using it. Please note that in the latest version of CA Release Automation, almost all the Automation Studio features are going to be browser based, so all the process designing can be performed using browser based systems.

it_user205848
    Manager, DevOps at a hospitality company with 51-200 employees
    The UI makes it easier for non-engineers to understand.

What is most valuable?

The UI makes it easier for non-engineers to understand. It's reliable and works well once you figure out its quirks.

How has it helped my organization?

We have used the product to automate software deployments and simple tasks for technical support. We have reduced our failure rate dramatically due to automation. However, that's more due to the fact that we've automated than any particular virtue of the product.

What needs improvement?

The UI is very quirky, with numerous small frustrating bugs. While it is possible to script, the REST API is nearly impossible to use and the old CLI support has many undocumented features.

I've used it for three years.

The deployment process is painful. We avoid it as much as possible.

We've had a few outages due to bugs. We were able to work around the bugs, but it was a frustrating process.

Yes. The licensing model before the company was purchased was scalability-friendly. Now it is not.

About a 3/10. It took weeks to get a simple quote for more licenses (we joked that CA doesn't want our money) and their support portal is very difficult to use.

About a 5/10. I'm not sure CA has more than one or two people who even know what the product is, much less the details of how it works.

We had no previous solution.

We bought the product before CA purchased it.

We received a lot of support from the pre-CA company. They were excellent.

It's high in that we have moved a lot closer to continuous delivery. It's reliable. However, the licensing model will eventually force us to find another solution.

I don't know the original setup cost. They charge several thousand per agent/node.

it_user3063
    Architect at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
    Enabled us to significantly reduce deployment time.

Valuable Features:

In our company, deployments for complex Java applications can take up to two hours each. We needed to significantly reduce this time in order to keep up with business demands and maintain agility in the development group: We were able to achieve this using Nolio. With Nolio we can also monitor precise details, figures and measurements of each deployment, including specifics on the changes made, dates and times of releases and success rates. So w've dramatically reduced our release times by using Nolio's automated solutions. We are confident that by running Nolio across all our environments, we will reduce times for complicated deployments from two hours to twenty minutes. This will enable us to maintain our competitive edge and reduce operational costs without compromising security.

Room for Improvement:

A task for using a dynamic language like Groovy could be very useful in order to create easily simple tasks. But I am sure it will come...
    it_user3036
    Operations Expert at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    User friendly, flexible tool that has improved my team's activity by 75%

Valuable Features:

- Very User Friendly GUI. - Flexible tool which allow you to build process and flows in simple way without knowledge in programing. - Improve my team activity in 75%.

Room for Improvement:

- Can Nolio make a coffee..........

Valuable Features:

Room for Improvement:

- Can Nolio make a coffee..........