AB
Senior Manager at RP Sanjiv Goenka Group
Stable and scalable solution for an HCI platform

• "One of the most valuable features is how well this solution performs. It's stable, aside from some patch issues, but it's great from a virtualization and scalability perspective."
  • "The patch updates of Nutanix Acropolis could be improved. I'm work on the corporate side, but I get feedback from our IT team that patch updates and other updates are taking a significantly longer time. This definitely needs to be resolved. We are in discussion with Nutanix regarding certain configuration issues we are having, so maybe something can be changed to ease these patch updates."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for moving to HCI architecture. We have plenty of applications which are mainly homegrown in a LAMP environment. We were looking into restructuring our DC and DR environment and moving from the Spark architecture to an Intel-based platform. We started with a sort of POC for some of those applications in the LAMP environment and moved them to HCI architecture, where they have been running for almost two years now. Now we want to move the rest of the applications into similar architecture so it can be auto-scaled. Since we are from a UPT industry, there are certain state-based and country-based regulations that limit our ability to move our data to the cloud. This is why we want an on-premises solution like Nutanix. Right now, Nutanix handles our virtualization and we use Dell for our servers.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped my company move to HCI architecture.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is how well this solution performs. It's stable, aside from some patch issues, but it's great from a virtualization and scalability perspective.

What needs improvement?

The patch updates of Nutanix Acropolis could be improved. I'm work on the corporate side, but I get feedback from our IT team that patch updates and other updates are taking a significantly longer time. This definitely needs to be resolved. We are in discussion with Nutanix regarding certain configuration issues we are having, so maybe something can be changed to ease these patch updates.

We have been using Nutanix Acropolis for almost one and a half years.

This solution is stable, which is one of the reasons why we are looking to move our entire set of applications into this architecture. There are a couple of issues in terms of patch updates, but overall, the performance is good. Our IT deployment and infrastructure management team is comprised of five or six people, one manager and mostly engineers.

Since this solution is an HCI platform, it automatically scales. The only problem we are running into is that there is a significant amount of software licensing involved. There are approximately 500 to 1,000 people using this solution because one of our key CRM applications is running on it.

Technical support is quite good. They are proactive and take initiative when it comes to resolving issues. In India, things like these are handled through local channel partners, so I believe that Nutanix support works hand-in-hand with the local channel partner to resolve our day-to-day issues.

Installation is pretty straightforward. It was initially done by the vendor, but now we are adding more code and our in-house team handles those installations.

We initially implemented through a vendor team.

Our Nutanix license is for five years. There is a support arrangement there, but that aspect is more or less taken care of during the initial installation.

With HCI architecture, whenever we do any kind of auto scaling or scaling of servers and resources, there is a significant amount of software licensing involved. This is getting a bit problematic for us, so we are looking into some sort of private cloud appliance of Oracle PCA architecture. A lot of applications that we have—ERP as well as custom developed software—have Oracle as the back end. This means that, for HCI, the number of server codes we are using increases each time we add new applications. Oracle licenses are based on code, so the scaling we do significantly impacts our overall TCO.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten. I recommend this solution to others, however, if you have Oracle Database or Oracle licensing in general, then you need to think about how many licenses will be required—based on that, your overall TCO may increase significantly. Otherwise, in terms of virtualization, scaling, etc., everything is fine.

reviewer1439661
Systems Administrator at U.S. Naval War College
Improved our datacenter in the way of availability, scalability, and speed

• "One-Click Upgrade and Foundation is the most valuable feature. One-Click Upgrade makes upgrades and LCM a breeze. Prior to Nutanix One-Click Upgrade, upgrades and LCM were overly cumbersome and time-consuming. Foundation provides an easy, yet very structured, approach to cluster modification (adding or removing nodes)."
  • "The One-Click Upgrade process could/should offer the ability to integrate with 3rd party drivers. For example, we use NVIDIA Grid graphics cards. It would be amazing if, during the One-Click Upgrade process, we could "slipstream" additional VIB drivers for ESXi into the upgrade process."

What is our primary use case?

We have moved to Nutanix AOS as our one-stop hyper-converged solution for VDI and Virtual Servers. We have implemented Nutanix AOS in all our domains to replace old architecture. Before Nutanix, we used a mixed environment of HP Blades, Dell "Pizza Box" servers, a combination of local and shared storage, and a mess of networking hardware to make it all work. Now with Nutanix AOS and cluster, this has simplified everything from standard operating procedures to modification and scalability. Now our new Standard Operating Procedures are much more "Standardized."

How has it helped my organization?

Nutanix AOS has improved our datacenter in the way of availability, scalability, and speed. The Nutanix clustering provided by AOS has ensured more uptime and speed of delivering existing applications. AOS also offers fantastic ease of expanding our infrastructure. Initially, Nutanix was our VDI Backend solution, then we started migrating all virtual server infrastructure over to an entire Nutanix solution as well. Since then we have been expanding on both and providing end-users an amazing experience.

What is most valuable?

One-Click Upgrade and Foundation is the most valuable feature. One-Click Upgrade makes upgrades and LCM a breeze. Prior to Nutanix One-Click Upgrade, upgrades and LCM were overly cumbersome and time-consuming. Foundation provides an easy, yet very structured, approach to cluster modification (adding or removing nodes). Prior to something like Foundation, the process to scale out additional infrastructure was also cumbersome and tedious. Nutanix has completely simplified both of these processes and has made it very easy to focus more time on other things.

What needs improvement?

The One-Click Upgrade process could/should offer the ability to integrate with 3rd party drivers. For example, we use NVIDIA Grid graphics cards. It would be amazing if, during the One-Click Upgrade process, we could "slipstream" additional VIB drivers for ESXi into the upgrade process. Otherwise, we are left to a typical upgrade/maintenance window process in order to keep ESXi updated with 3rd party drivers for additional hardware installed in each node. If the One-Click Upgrade process could implement this feature, this would limit downtime maintenance as well.

I have been using Nutanix Acropolis AOS for five years.

Excellent. The best I've seen.

Excellent. The best I've seen.

Technical support has been absolutely amazing. Again, the best I've seen. We felt like the Nutanix Bible didn't quite cover all the bases that we wanted to know more about. On a whim, we asked for a more technical deep dive and support provided us with a 1 time deep dive on-site to learn more about the product and troubleshooting. A support representative came on site and provided us with a bunch of troubleshooting scenarios (in a lab environment) in which we learned some "Tier 2+" troubleshooting methods.

HP/Dell architecture. These proved as an overly tedious and dead-end solution.

Straightforward. I was new to Nutanix but felt completely comfortable diving right in and taking lead.

Our initial setup was supported by a vendor team who was top notch.

The pricing from my experience is, unfortunately, a necessary evil, however, the initial setup cost could be a waste, depending on your comfort and skill level. I say comfort first because the setup is actually very easy and straightforward once you understand the foundation process. It would really depend on your experience and comfort moving to new infrastructures.

Not really. Once we found Nutanix, all other options seemed like lesser options.

What other advice do I have?

Way to go Nutanix. Keep up the great work. We look forward to a very long term relationship.

Learn what your peers think about Nutanix Acropolis AOS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
ET
IS Assistant Manager at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
An all-in-one solution that reduces our footprint and provides ease of management

• "It is all-in-one. The compute processing, storage, and network altogether make it convenient. We don't have to have different modules for expansion."
  • "I would like to see them utilize the spare storage that they use as a redundant space. I feel that now a lot of resources are wasted just for standby purposes because we are using data protection. Instead of utilizing those resources only when something happens, they can have an alternative so that we can utilize these resources all the time."

What is our primary use case?

It is primarily used as our data management application. It is for data management and storage.

How has it helped my organization?

It has greatly reduced our footprint because it is all-in-one. It is a hyper-converged technology. So, in a way, it reduces our server room footprint and provides ease of management.

What is most valuable?

It is all-in-one. The compute processing, storage, and network altogether make it convenient. We don't have to have different modules for expansion.

What needs improvement?

They have improved over the years. They can probably improve more of their software offerings or their innovative upcoming technology.

I would like to see them utilize the spare storage that they use as a redundant space. I feel that now a lot of resources are wasted just for standby purposes because we are using data protection. Instead of utilizing those resources only when something happens, they can have an alternative so that we can utilize these resources all the time.

I have been using this solution for the past two to three years.

It is stable.

I believe there is no limit to scalability. The only weak point is that Nutanix is basically a software company. They are very dependent on the hardware and vendor, and because the hardware is always moving ahead quite fast, they are having difficulty in catching up with the technology. If I'm going to scale my current Nutanix cluster, I may have an issue with the newer hardware because it may not be compatible with the older hardware that I already have. That is one of the issues we encountered, but we still manage to sort out the licensing and the hardware requirements with our partners and Nutanix.

In terms of usage, basically, our whole company uses it because it is our central data storage. It is being used quite extensively. We upgraded just recently.

Their technical support is good. Their communication is good, and their technical knowledge is good. The time they take to get back to us is also good.

We were using another solution. I believe we switched because Nutanix provides the failover capability for RPO and RTO. It means RPO and RTO are close to zero because we have the failover data protection from Nutanix as well.

I have support from vendors, so it was not too complex for us. We actually enjoy a good supporting and working relationship with Nutanix.

It was actually quite a straightforward implementation because it was a brand new setup. The migrations were done by our application team and infra team. The complex portion was that they are very dependent on how the network was being set up. Prior to that, our network infrastructure was quite old, so some of the requirements were not met in the first place, but we managed to sort things out.

We used an integrator. We work with a partner. They help us to deploy it.

We have internal staff for its deployment and maintenance. We need two people.

We got the renewal done recently, and there was no cost involved.

The only comparison was VMware site replication.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise having a good and stable network base. Mine is on-prem, and I'm not sure what is the requirement for the cloud solution, but for on-prem, make sure that the network infrastructure is very stable, and there are no hops or drops from the network. It needs a very stable network.

I would rate Nutanix Acropolis AOS an eight out of 10.

mikkisse
Chief IT Engineer at a cloud provider with 10,001+ employees
Easy to expand, managed from a single interface, and the lifecycle manager saves us a lot of time

• "We really love the Lifecycle manager and one-click upgrades."
  • "There is a lot of functionality in Prism Central, but sometimes you want to see those features in Prism Element."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Nutanix is removing the classic 3-tier architecture and switching to hyper-convergence.

Migrating from the 3-tier architecture to HCI helped us to free up rack space, remove the old hardware, and run systems on the new platform.

There was a four-rack, and now there are ten units of hardware. It's really cool and fantastic.

It is now managed from one interface, covered by technical support and it's homogenous. If you need to expand a cluster or storage then all you need is just add new nodes. You don't need to buy new storage, you don't need to expand your SAN, and so on.

How has it helped my organization?

Now, all of the systems run on the same hardware with the same software, which can be managed from a single pane of glass. All you need to know is AOS. You don't need to learn about storage, SAN, or virtualization. It's easier to start with Nutanix than start with classic architecture.

The software features which really can improve the organization are deduplication and compression. These really can help to save a lot of space. On the non-homogenous systems, we achieved approximately 2:1 space savings, which is great.

What is most valuable?

We really love the Lifecycle manager and one-click upgrades. All you need to do is run the upgrade procedure and watch it go.

You don't need to update firmware, software, hypervisors, and so on by yourself. LCM can do it for you. It really can save a lot of time. LCM will install only compatible firmware and software, so you can't install (for example) unsupported firmware and break down your system.

LCM is a really cool feature and one of the best in the market. I have never seen anything like this before.

What needs improvement?

I think there is a lot that Nutanix can improve in AOS, in particular, moving tasks such as creating trunked networks and managing nodes from the CLI to Prism Element.

I would like to see more information in Prism Element about how Curator works.

There is a lot of functionality in Prism Central, but sometimes you want to see those features in Prism Element. One of them is RBAC. If we have one small cluster, and we need RBAC, we must install Prism Central. This is an inconvenience and I hope to see this feature in Prism Element in the next releases of AOS.

We are using Nutanix solutions based on AOS since 2017.

Nutanix AOS is a very stable system. You can lose drives or nodes, depending on your replication factor, and you will not lose your data.

It's very easy to scale. You just add new nodes, increase compute, and increase storage at the same time.

Nutanix has one of the best technical support groups I've ever seen.

They answer fast and they solve problems fast. They don't ask you a lot of unnecessary questions; rather, they just do the work.

Previously, we used different solutions from different vendors. We needed to put it all together, and Nutanix helped us.

Setting up a new cluster is easy and the documentation covers this process.

They are very highly qualified specialists.

We did not evaluate other options before choosing Nutanix.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that deduplication and compression can save money, so use it.

Samuel Rothenbuehler
CTO Enterprise Cloud at Amanox Solutions (S&T Group)
Top 5Popular
It delivers full visibility down to a single virtual disk and every hardware component.

How has it helped my organization?

We can troubleshoot customer issues (e.g. crashes, performance issues etc.) very quickly and efficiently since we know exactly how the infrastructure should behave and what performance values are to be expected.

Nutanix delivers full visibility down to a single virtual disk (e.g. a VMDK file) and every single hardware component. Predefined health checks are executed during a support case which will in most cases already narrow down the root cause considerably if not point it out directly.

Most of our customers actually don’t manage their Nutanix environment at all since common tasks such as LUN provisioning, zoning, permission settings etc. don’t apply any longer.

What is most valuable?

• Very easy management (e.g. daily tasks and also major upgrades)
  • Simple and fast to implement as a partner
  • Very mature and stable with outstanding Nutanix support if needed (we are a L1 and L2 support partner as well)
  • Potential to replace 80-90% of all customer use cases we see in Switzerland

We've been partners for nearly three years, and have been building Nutanix based customer solutions during that time.

The Nutanix customer service is outstanding and easily the best from all vendors we work with. Usually an answer is provided within the first 10 minutes and the staff is very skilled. thanks to the high degree of standardization we are able to quickly resolve most issues (we know the whole stack).

Outstanding! We get an answer usually within 30 minutes often this solves the issue or at least show progress.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Our company is fully committed to new technologies and ways to build data centers using hyper convergence, software defined networking etc. We did not (and have no plans) to sell traditional solutions.

It used to be more work about one and a half years ago. Today, the whole installation process is fully automated and orchestrated. Since NOS 4.5 everything needed is pre-installed at the factory and only the desired hypervisor image (ISO files) need to be uploaded. Then, the cluster will stage itself automatically. The size of the cluster is secondary to the implementation time except for rack and stack of course.

Since we are a Nutanix partner we implement and give support ourselves for customers directly and for other partners as well.

I don’t have any figures available at the moment. Nutanix is most attractive when comparing the full cost (TCO) including CAPEX and also OPEX. Regarding licensing, we most commonly sell the pro license which covers the vast majority of customer user cases.

It is especially interesting to see the development of customers starting to see the included KVM based hypervisor (Acropolis) which results in significant cost savings for hypervisor licensing (e.g. vSphere or Hyper-V) depending on the customer use case.

As a VMware partner we also evaluate VSAN in our lab as a possible alternative but this solution lacks many of the Nutanix advantages. I compared VSAN to Nutanix some years ago when Nutanix was purely a storage layer.

Today, Nutanix offers end to end management, visibility and standardization which offers maybe the biggest benefit. I am personally also not a big fan of the VSAN object storage approach (as opposed to the Nutanix or EMC ScaleIO block based implementations) which causes many bottlenecks and architecture limitations.

What other advice do I have?

This is the Nutanix management web interface.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a partner
Mohamed-Mostafa
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Amazing Software-defined HCI solution that perfectly fits customers' business & security needs.

• "It is 100% stable. It's the most stable infrastructure that we have."
  • "There is room to enhance the micro-segmentation."

What is our primary use case?

I meet many customers on a weekly basis and there has been always one common question in almost every meeting. Which HCI Solution is the Best for me?

in order to be able to answer this question, I had studied many HCI solutions in the Market and deeply analyzed the Pros & Cons of all major solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

The HyperScale Architecture which Nutanix adopted from day one is a game-changer, it enabled my customers to scale with no limits & give them their freedom back by avoiding Hardware & Hypervisors locking.

What is most valuable?

- Support Calls are being answered directly by L3 Support team who are capable to solve not only Acropolis issue but hypervisor as well.

- One-Click Updates.

- One Management Console for Cluster Management ( Compute, Storage ) and VMs operations as well.

- Storage Only Nodes.

- Having multiple HW Vendors & Hypervisors in the same Data centre and manage all with one management tool.

What needs improvement?

having more integrations with security vendors to be able to introduce more Virtual Load Balancers and Virtual Firewalls.

I have been using Nutanix Acropolis for three years.

It's the most stable infrastructure we had ever proposed.

Customers love the Nutanix experience and keep on adding more nodes to cover more business needs.

It's the only solution that can scale properly — there is no limitation on the number of nodes that a customer can have in the same cluster.

Customers can expand at any time the storage layer by adding just storage nodes, which will not only expand the capacity but also will enhance the performance as each node comes with something called a virtual controller. So scalability-wise, we're only expanding the storage with no obligation to pay for additional hypervisors license.

Their support is amazing. When we open a support ticket, there are always level-three engineers who respond to your calls. What I also love about the support is that whenever we open a call, usually it gets routed to the last engineer who already knows our environment. The support is Amazing.

The initial setup is very easy. It didn't take more than three days to implement this solution.

Never lock your self with a specific vendor.

if you are considering vXRail, for example, you need to pay attention that you will be locked in so financially speaking if you have an expansion, you can do it with Dell only leaving no space for healthy pricing competition & don't be surprised if they don't give you the same initial discount because simply you are already locked in!

& The same goes for VMware, you would be locked in with VMware only. VMware license nowadays is not cheap, it's costly so eventually, you will find your annual spending are exceeding your budget and you no option but to buy from them.

If you are a new customer to Nutanix start with a Cloud Bundle; they are very cost-effective and they can fit any requirement.

Cisco HyperFlex

Dell vXRail

Hp Simplivity

What other advice do I have?

Always go for AHV Option because VMware is costly, especially if you're considering not only the hypervisor cost but considering vRealize Operations, Automation and NSX on top.

Nutanix will help you to wave out the hypervisor TAX which is not less than 20 % of any infrastructure initial setup cost

MI
FD at Alpha 55
Offers the budget and scalability for any size enterprise

• "It has a user-friendly dashboard and interface."
  • "One thing to keep in mind is that only experts can use it. It has to be in the proper hands, instead of going to XYZ people just for some cost savings. So lift-and-shift and migrations might be tricky, because it is not like a VMware."

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are the user-friendliness of that hypervisor. Also, people who are not agnostic about the hardware can go with Nutanix. It has a user-friendly dashboard and interface.

Pros, it's an OEM kind of a hypervisor. It can fit to any size. Pros are that any enterprise company can fit in with it, and that budgets are also not heavy on their pockets. So, these are the pros of Nutanix.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what can be improved, their local people in this region are not good, to be frank. They don't support any inquiry. They don't support anything we need, especially for projects. So either we need to bypass them or we need to get support from the other regions.

I would say that applies from the sales cycle to the support.

The sales cycles is a very closed group kind of thing. Cons, region-wise, sometimes it's a monopoly. And the pricing factor is there. Plus, they are not open and transparent.

Procurement can be an issue as well.

Plus I don't see any updates happening in this region in terms of what's cooking in the head offices. It should be updated and alerted to the partners. For example, recently Nutanix has done many things in its acquisitions. What new features are going to be added? Certainly partners and other people should have a right to know. And they may gain advantage, an edge, over the other products when they are pitching this.

As for what I would like to see in future releases, maybe the cloud things which were very recently added. What is the roadmap for the cloud and what are there exactly? These things are very new to Nutanix now. That should be more transparent. What is their good part, like Azure or AWS? I would like to know these things. They just need better documentation in general.

I began using Nutanix Acropolis AOS about five or six years ago.

Their stability depends on how agnostic they are. It depends on if I'm using super micro hardware or it depends on if I'm using HPE. So, it's stable. I don't think we are having any issues. It is mostly a stable product. The main issue with stability would be related to the hardware, not to the actual solution.

Scalability depends on the customer. If the customer is savvy they can just add maybe SSDs or something which the KC doesn't support, or something which is out of the box from the hardware which was procured previously. Then we would face issues in the scalability. Or maybe a limit to that addition which was purchased some time back.

We don't require support, as we have in house expertise.

The initial setup is straightforward. We have worked on many products, including VMware and others. It is not complex. I would even say the portal is not so complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that it's a simple to use product. It fits all sizes and it is budget-friendly.

One thing to keep in mind is that only experts can use it. It has to be in the proper hands, instead of going to XYZ people just for some cost savings. So lift-and-shift and migrations might be tricky, because it is not like a VMware.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Nutanix Acropolis AOS a nine.

AN
Chief Information Officer and Program Lead at Gatron Industries Ltd
Best support, good performance management, and good availability and failure debugger

• "There are a lot of features in Nutanix that are different from other hyper-converged solutions, such as site-to-site replication. VM-based site-to-site replication is bundled with the software licensing. For the DR, it has the availability groups, which is one of the key features that Nutanix provides."
  • "The only problem is that not many operating systems are supported on the AOS hypervisor. They need to probably increase the support on multiple operating systems. As of now, a very limited number of operating systems and patch levels are supported on AOS."

What is our primary use case?

We have three clusters of Nutanix. We are using Nutanix Clusters for all of our Intel-based workload. The majority of applications are Oracle databases, application servers, our file services, email hosting, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

The machines provisioning times have reduced drastically. The single pane of glass management provides ease of management.  Storage

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features in Nutanix that are different from other hyper-converged solutions, such as site-to-site replication. VM-based site-to-site replication is bundled with the software licensing. For the DR, it has the availability groups, which is one of the key features that Nutanix provides.

Its performance management is pretty good, especially the software-defined storage that Acropolis provides is pretty good.

As far as the availability is concerned, it has RAID nodes, so the availability is pretty good. In case of failure, the system automatically shifts machines from one node to another. Their failure debugger is very good.

What needs improvement?

In terms of additional features, a lot of backup solutions have integration with AOS, but not many backup solutions provide a solution for VM backup. So probably, in the next release, they can make the backup solutions compatible with AOS for VM backups. It would be great.

We've been using this solution for the last three years.

The solution is rock solid, no software issues or compatibility issues may be because we are using it over

It is primarily a scale out solution. New nodes can be added pretty easily and workload can be divided on the fly including that of Software Defined Storage that comes with Nutanix Hyperconverged Solution.

I am very satisfied with their support. Nutanix has probably one of the best support in the hyper-converged industry. Whenever there is a problem, they usually fix it within hours.

VMWARE and Hyper-V are good alternate solutions but if you are using AOS on a Nutanix Hyperconverged solution, than AOS provides better integration with the solution. If the requirement is to fully leverage Nutanix Hyperconverged solution than AOS is the go to hypervisor.

Its setup is very straightforward. You just have to plug in the nodes and power them up. That's it. It will automatically rebuild itself and be available. It is shipped pre-configured.

There are three variants in AOS pricing.

The Evaluation included VMWARE and Hyper-V. The software defined features required including software defined storage, Performance throughput, scale out architecture etc which were not directly related to hypervisor selection but more geared towards Software Defined Data Center put Nutanix Hyperconverged and to fully leverage its functionalities put AOS in front.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Nutanix Acropolis AOS a nine out of 10. It is pretty good.

Download our free Nutanix Acropolis AOS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.