mikkisse
Chief IT Engineer at a cloud provider with 10,001+ employees
Easy to expand, managed from a single interface, and the lifecycle manager saves us a lot of time

• "We really love the Lifecycle manager and one-click upgrades."
  • "There is a lot of functionality in Prism Central, but sometimes you want to see those features in Prism Element."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Nutanix is removing the classic 3-tier architecture and switching to hyper-convergence.

Migrating from the 3-tier architecture to HCI helped us to free up rack space, remove the old hardware, and run systems on the new platform.

There was a four-rack, and now there are ten units of hardware. It's really cool and fantastic.

It is now managed from one interface, covered by technical support and it's homogenous. If you need to expand a cluster or storage then all you need is just add new nodes. You don't need to buy new storage, you don't need to expand your SAN, and so on.

How has it helped my organization?

Now, all of the systems run on the same hardware with the same software, which can be managed from a single pane of glass. All you need to know is AOS. You don't need to learn about storage, SAN, or virtualization. It's easier to start with Nutanix than start with classic architecture.

The software features which really can improve the organization are deduplication and compression. These really can help to save a lot of space. On the non-homogenous systems, we achieved approximately 2:1 space savings, which is great.

What is most valuable?

We really love the Lifecycle manager and one-click upgrades. All you need to do is run the upgrade procedure and watch it go.

You don't need to update firmware, software, hypervisors, and so on by yourself. LCM can do it for you. It really can save a lot of time. LCM will install only compatible firmware and software, so you can't install (for example) unsupported firmware and break down your system.

LCM is a really cool feature and one of the best in the market. I have never seen anything like this before.

What needs improvement?

I think there is a lot that Nutanix can improve in AOS, in particular, moving tasks such as creating trunked networks and managing nodes from the CLI to Prism Element.

I would like to see more information in Prism Element about how Curator works.

There is a lot of functionality in Prism Central, but sometimes you want to see those features in Prism Element. One of them is RBAC. If we have one small cluster, and we need RBAC, we must install Prism Central. This is an inconvenience and I hope to see this feature in Prism Element in the next releases of AOS.

We are using Nutanix solutions based on AOS since 2017.

Nutanix AOS is a very stable system. You can lose drives or nodes, depending on your replication factor, and you will not lose your data.

It's very easy to scale. You just add new nodes, increase compute, and increase storage at the same time.

Nutanix has one of the best technical support groups I've ever seen.

They answer fast and they solve problems fast. They don't ask you a lot of unnecessary questions; rather, they just do the work.

Previously, we used different solutions from different vendors. We needed to put it all together, and Nutanix helped us.

Setting up a new cluster is easy and the documentation covers this process.

They are very highly qualified specialists.

We did not evaluate other options before choosing Nutanix.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that deduplication and compression can save money, so use it.

Mohamed-Mostafa
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Amazing Software-defined HCI solution that perfectly fits customers' business & security needs.

• "It is 100% stable. It's the most stable infrastructure that we have."
  • "There is room to enhance the micro-segmentation."

What is our primary use case?

I meet many customers on a weekly basis and there has been always one common question in almost every meeting. Which HCI Solution is the Best for me?

in order to be able to answer this question, I had studied many HCI solutions in the Market and deeply analyzed the Pros & Cons of all major solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

The HyperScale Architecture which Nutanix adopted from day one is a game-changer, it enabled my customers to scale with no limits & give them their freedom back by avoiding Hardware & Hypervisors locking.

What is most valuable?

- Support Calls are being answered directly by L3 Support team who are capable to solve not only Acropolis issue but hypervisor as well.

- One-Click Updates.

- One Management Console for Cluster Management ( Compute, Storage ) and VMs operations as well.

- Storage Only Nodes.

- Having multiple HW Vendors & Hypervisors in the same Data centre and manage all with one management tool.

What needs improvement?

having more integrations with security vendors to be able to introduce more Virtual Load Balancers and Virtual Firewalls.

I have been using Nutanix Acropolis for three years.

It's the most stable infrastructure we had ever proposed.

Customers love the Nutanix experience and keep on adding more nodes to cover more business needs.

It's the only solution that can scale properly — there is no limitation on the number of nodes that a customer can have in the same cluster.

Customers can expand at any time the storage layer by adding just storage nodes, which will not only expand the capacity but also will enhance the performance as each node comes with something called a virtual controller. So scalability-wise, we're only expanding the storage with no obligation to pay for additional hypervisors license.

Their support is amazing. When we open a support ticket, there are always level-three engineers who respond to your calls. What I also love about the support is that whenever we open a call, usually it gets routed to the last engineer who already knows our environment. The support is Amazing.

The initial setup is very easy. It didn't take more than three days to implement this solution.

Never lock your self with a specific vendor.

if you are considering vXRail, for example, you need to pay attention that you will be locked in so financially speaking if you have an expansion, you can do it with Dell only leaving no space for healthy pricing competition & don't be surprised if they don't give you the same initial discount because simply you are already locked in!

& The same goes for VMware, you would be locked in with VMware only. VMware license nowadays is not cheap, it's costly so eventually, you will find your annual spending are exceeding your budget and you no option but to buy from them.

If you are a new customer to Nutanix start with a Cloud Bundle; they are very cost-effective and they can fit any requirement.

Cisco HyperFlex

Dell vXRail

Hp Simplivity

What other advice do I have?

Always go for AHV Option because VMware is costly, especially if you're considering not only the hypervisor cost but considering vRealize Operations, Automation and NSX on top.

Nutanix will help you to wave out the hypervisor TAX which is not less than 20 % of any infrastructure initial setup cost

Learn what your peers think about Nutanix Acropolis AOS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,936 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Samuel Rothenbuehler
CTO Enterprise Cloud at Amanox Solutions (S&T Group)
Top 5Popular
It delivers full visibility down to a single virtual disk and every hardware component.

How has it helped my organization?

We can troubleshoot customer issues (e.g. crashes, performance issues etc.) very quickly and efficiently since we know exactly how the infrastructure should behave and what performance values are to be expected.

Nutanix delivers full visibility down to a single virtual disk (e.g. a VMDK file) and every single hardware component. Predefined health checks are executed during a support case which will in most cases already narrow down the root cause considerably if not point it out directly.

Most of our customers actually don’t manage their Nutanix environment at all since common tasks such as LUN provisioning, zoning, permission settings etc. don’t apply any longer.

What is most valuable?

• Very easy management (e.g. daily tasks and also major upgrades)
  • Simple and fast to implement as a partner
  • Very mature and stable with outstanding Nutanix support if needed (we are a L1 and L2 support partner as well)
  • Potential to replace 80-90% of all customer use cases we see in Switzerland

We've been partners for nearly three years, and have been building Nutanix based customer solutions during that time.

The Nutanix customer service is outstanding and easily the best from all vendors we work with. Usually an answer is provided within the first 10 minutes and the staff is very skilled. thanks to the high degree of standardization we are able to quickly resolve most issues (we know the whole stack).

Outstanding! We get an answer usually within 30 minutes often this solves the issue or at least show progress.

Our company is fully committed to new technologies and ways to build data centers using hyper convergence, software defined networking etc. We did not (and have no plans) to sell traditional solutions.

It used to be more work about one and a half years ago. Today, the whole installation process is fully automated and orchestrated. Since NOS 4.5 everything needed is pre-installed at the factory and only the desired hypervisor image (ISO files) need to be uploaded. Then, the cluster will stage itself automatically. The size of the cluster is secondary to the implementation time except for rack and stack of course.

Since we are a Nutanix partner we implement and give support ourselves for customers directly and for other partners as well.

I don’t have any figures available at the moment. Nutanix is most attractive when comparing the full cost (TCO) including CAPEX and also OPEX. Regarding licensing, we most commonly sell the pro license which covers the vast majority of customer user cases.

It is especially interesting to see the development of customers starting to see the included KVM based hypervisor (Acropolis) which results in significant cost savings for hypervisor licensing (e.g. vSphere or Hyper-V) depending on the customer use case.

As a VMware partner we also evaluate VSAN in our lab as a possible alternative but this solution lacks many of the Nutanix advantages. I compared VSAN to Nutanix some years ago when Nutanix was purely a storage layer.

Today, Nutanix offers end to end management, visibility and standardization which offers maybe the biggest benefit. I am personally also not a big fan of the VSAN object storage approach (as opposed to the Nutanix or EMC ScaleIO block based implementations) which causes many bottlenecks and architecture limitations.

What other advice do I have?

This is the Nutanix management web interface.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a partner
AN
Chief Information Officer and Program Lead at Gatron Industries Ltd
Best support, good performance management, and good availability and failure debugger

• "There are a lot of features in Nutanix that are different from other hyper-converged solutions, such as site-to-site replication. VM-based site-to-site replication is bundled with the software licensing. For the DR, it has the availability groups, which is one of the key features that Nutanix provides."
  • "The only problem is that not many operating systems are supported on the AOS hypervisor. They need to probably increase the support on multiple operating systems. As of now, a very limited number of operating systems and patch levels are supported on AOS."

What is our primary use case?

We have three clusters of Nutanix. We are using Nutanix Clusters for all of our Intel-based workload. The majority of applications are Oracle databases, application servers, our file services, email hosting, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

The machines provisioning times have reduced drastically. The single pane of glass management provides ease of management.  Storage

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features in Nutanix that are different from other hyper-converged solutions, such as site-to-site replication. VM-based site-to-site replication is bundled with the software licensing. For the DR, it has the availability groups, which is one of the key features that Nutanix provides.

Its performance management is pretty good, especially the software-defined storage that Acropolis provides is pretty good.

As far as the availability is concerned, it has RAID nodes, so the availability is pretty good. In case of failure, the system automatically shifts machines from one node to another. Their failure debugger is very good.

What needs improvement?

In terms of additional features, a lot of backup solutions have integration with AOS, but not many backup solutions provide a solution for VM backup. So probably, in the next release, they can make the backup solutions compatible with AOS for VM backups. It would be great.

We've been using this solution for the last three years.

The solution is rock solid, no software issues or compatibility issues may be because we are using it over

It is primarily a scale out solution. New nodes can be added pretty easily and workload can be divided on the fly including that of Software Defined Storage that comes with Nutanix Hyperconverged Solution.

I am very satisfied with their support. Nutanix has probably one of the best support in the hyper-converged industry. Whenever there is a problem, they usually fix it within hours.

VMWARE and Hyper-V are good alternate solutions but if you are using AOS on a Nutanix Hyperconverged solution, than AOS provides better integration with the solution. If the requirement is to fully leverage Nutanix Hyperconverged solution than AOS is the go to hypervisor.

Its setup is very straightforward. You just have to plug in the nodes and power them up. That's it. It will automatically rebuild itself and be available. It is shipped pre-configured.

There are three variants in AOS pricing.

The Evaluation included VMWARE and Hyper-V. The software defined features required including software defined storage, Performance throughput, scale out architecture etc which were not directly related to hypervisor selection but more geared towards Software Defined Data Center put Nutanix Hyperconverged and to fully leverage its functionalities put AOS in front.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Nutanix Acropolis AOS a nine out of 10. It is pretty good.

reviewer1475787
Sr. Systems Administrator at Enercare
Feature-rich, good data protection that is easy to set up, and it has improved our overall performance

• "The virtualization environment is now much easier to manage and maintain, there is only one vendor to call in case of issues and one single console to manage everything."
  • "I think some of the tasks that must be done using CLI could be added to the web interface."

What is our primary use case?

We've implemented Nutanix as part of a hardware refresh project. We've replaced two chassis with 28 Server blades, two storage devices, and four SAN switches by 12 Nutanix nodes.

First, we had moved some development and test workloads before sending production workloads. The first wave was successful and we couldn't wait until moving more workloads to Nutanix. We were anxious because this HCI was something we have never experimented with before and at the end of the day, it was the best thing we've done in our infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

We couldn't have chosen better, as we were able to reduce our data center footprint by two-thirds, reduced the management tools and teams, eliminated the SAN complexity, increased the IOPS metrics, and increased the overall performance by 40%.

We were also able to reduce our support contract with a third-party vendor that manages our environment due to the footprint reduction and also the SAN and Storage decommissioning.

What is most valuable?

There are lots of great built-in features such as the one-click upgrade, data protection, data locality, very fast and non-disruptive snapshots, single pane of glass, etc.

We are applying patches and upgrades every quarter using the one-click upgrade feature and we have never run into an issue. The updates go smoothly with no outages at all, and we do everything including firmware updates, AOS updates, foundation updates, hypervisor updates, all at once and it goes perfectly fine.

The data protection is also a great feature that is very easy to set up and includes lots of options for snapshot retention. The consistent snapshots are great for Windows application and database servers.

What needs improvement?

I think it is kind of frustrating, opening a CLI session going through all the CLI commands you have to run to accomplish that task and then get back to the web console to continue doing what you were doing. It would be much easier to have that same setup option available on the web console.

Also, I believe that running several different commands through a CLI can increase the chance of typos/mistakes, resulting in a bigger issue.

We have been using Nutanix Acropolis AOS for one year.

We used a different product before this one, and we moved to reduce complexity.

The setup cost, pricing, and licensing are very competitive and TCO is very low compared to three-tier solutions.

We evaluated VMware vSphere with VSAN and NSX, as well as Azure Stack.

Private Cloud
IT Administrator and Sr. VMware Engineer at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use, flexible, robust, and includes a free hypervisor

• "One of the most valuable features that can be found, is the inclusion of a hypervisor for free."
  • "While the customer support is truly incredible, for Spanish speakers it would be appropriate to have support in their native language to further improve problem-solving conditions."

What is our primary use case?

The main reason we decided to implement the Nutanix solution was the ease of use of the environment. More than anything, it's a completely robust software environment. We not only migrated our servers from VMware, but we also moved from vSphere to AHV and Acropolis. The change was incredible in every aspect.

Our team managed to complete this migration in just three days and all of our workloads will start to run amazingly after the migration. It is a robust environment that runs smoothly. For example, our SQL Servers increased their performance dramatically after migration.

How has it helped my organization?

The biggest change we had was the time it took for our IT team to perform all the tasks of administering and automating the environment. Although everything worked before, with Nutanix, things work even better, almost without administration, since it is a software that allows you to analyze down to the last detail. Tasks that were previously performed manually can be automated.

On the other hand, our development team can consume its customized resources from our datacenter without our intervention, and the Acropolis integrations via API with other environments turn the software into a complete and flexible solution.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features that can be found, is the inclusion of a hypervisor for free. This allowed us to direct the investments and the budget towards other types of aspects, generating a lot of added value.

With the cost we saved on hypervisor licenses, we were able to invest in more nodes and blocks for our platform. In this way, our environment is now prepared to grow much more without having to re-invest in hardware. On the other hand, automation managed to redirect the time of IT staff to other projects, thus increasing productivity.

What needs improvement?

There are few areas in which I think this Nutanix product should be improved, but to name a few I can decide that there should be support for more languages natively. This could apply to the main AOS and Prism environment, as well as the help channels that Nutanix offers.

Except for these points, I don't think there is much more to improve.

We have used this solution in our company for three years.

We did a full migration from VMware vSphere and vCenter to AHX and Acropolis.

AHV is free! This is a great feature that should be taken advantage of.

Beforehand, we evaluated using vXRail as a hyper-converged solution, but the cost and usage issues made us opt for Nutanix.

What other advice do I have?

It is a robust solution that also has integrations and a complete suite of solutions for multi-cloud environments.

Daniel Saldarriaga
Especialista en ventas de productos at Adistec
MSP
Good interface with easy onboarding and simple to customize

• "It's easy to use and has a very smooth onboarding process."
  • "The cost of the solution is too expensive. There are other options, such as VMware, that are offered for less money. In Latin America, it seems to be overpriced for the market."

What is our primary use case?

In most of the cases, the clients use the solution as a file server or database with data and another solution. Mostly, there is hyperconversion with Acropolis and its hypervisor.

What is most valuable?

My experience with the Nutanix Acropolis is good from both a reseller and end-user experience.

The automation is excellent.

The product offers a quality hypervisor.

The solution offers very good customization.

The administration with the prem solution is very good.

Overall, it's quite a comprehensive solution.

The user experience is very good.

The product has a very nice user interface.

It's easy to use and has a very smooth onboarding process.

We find the performance to be excellent on this solution.

What needs improvement?

We've been using the solution for one year at this point. It hasn't been too long.

We've found the stability to be excellent. There aren't any issues around its reliability. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's not buggy at all.

Nutanix scales better than VMware, however, the pricing is an issue. As you scale, it costs more.

Typically, the customers that use Nutanix are larger organizations as the cost is quite high and an SME would not necessarily be able to afford it.

The technical support is very good. We're quite satisfied with the level of service we receive.

We also find that the documentation is very good and quite easy to understand, which helps with the usability of the product.

We also deal with VMware. There's some competition between the two as VMware is less expensive.

The initial setup is not complex at all. it's very easy and straightforward. The onboarding process is also nice and simple. We've had a good experience.

Between VMware and Nutanix, the price of VMware is lower. In comparison, Nutanix is pricey.

What other advice do I have?

I work for a distributor of Nutanix that also handles VMware. However, I market the Nutanix solutions primarily. We're resellers and we're a partner of Nutanix. We use both on-premises and cloud deployment versions. We tend to use Google and Amazon clouds when we use cloud deployments.

The platform is very easy to use and the administration functionality is good. Even in relation to VMware, which is cheaper, I like Nutanix best. It's easy to learn and the processes of configuration and onboarding are fantastic.

Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Charudatta Kulkarni
Head - UICT and Associate Professor at MIT Pune
Within a short span of time we can increase the capacity of the RAM or the hard disk

• "We like that the size of the box is 1U or 2U only, and all the servers are fit into that box. The ease of operation is there. All the servers and the SAN storage are inside the box."
  • "Pricing and varieties of options could be better."

What is most valuable?

We like that the size of the box is 1U or 2U only, and all the servers are fit into that box. The ease of operation is there. All the servers and the SAN storage are inside the box. So there are no wires, cables to manage. Secondly, since it is a hyper-converged infrastructure, we can scale up very easily. Suppose, for example, we were using 24 TB SAN last year, and now we are increasing up to 96 TB SAN. That is very easy to do with Nutanix. Just install the hard disk, enterprise-grade SAS or SSD, and expand that particular SAN. So within a short span of time, we can increase the capacity of the RAM or the hard disk. With how compact the equipment is it saves us a lot of space in the racks.

In previous years we had six to seven server rooms, those are consolidated to only one server room now. We have only one server room and the space of that server room is hardly is 200 square feet. Cooling is easy, the amount of cooling needed is also reduced, so the administration becomes very easy. Reports are generated very easily. Additionally, we can configure the machines, we can create the VDI, for example, at a fast pace. Within four, five minutes, we are able to create the machine.

What needs improvement?

Pricing and varieties of options could be better. I represent an educational Institute, higher education. So, the cost is a major concern. Secondly, we have the 1000 and 3000 series. So we would like to see that graphic virtualization. It should support all the open standards as well as Nutanix. If the other vendor brought some SAN or NAS, it should be very compatible with that. I would rate it at a nine on a scale of ten.

We have been using Nutanix Hyper-Converged Infrastructure for three years. We use the 1000 series.

It is very stable and scalable also. So even if we are facing the power problems, the machine restarts immediately after the power is resumed, and the machine is a rugged one. So definitely a stable machine.

It is very scalable and easy to scale quicly.

The technical support is also very nice. They have partner support and direct Nutanix support.We are getting better support from Nutanix. So I can rate them with an A grade.

The Nutanix Hyper-Converged Infrastructure is easy to install. Initially, it took around one and a half days to understand the complete setup, but now once we understand the setup, we can install the complete setup within two to three hours.

What other advice do I have?

I strongly recommend the product.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

Download our free Nutanix Acropolis AOS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.