Thein Lin
System Engineer at Cloud Vision
Scalable and offers high availability, but needs better fault tolerance

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily a backup product that works with Nutanix.

We tend to use it for our customers. If they find some errors, we go to troubleshoot or we cooperate with the Nutanix team to get things sorted.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the fact that it doesn't need any downtime even when you are updating the product.

The solution offers HA, high availability.

The solution is easy to set up.

We find the product to be very stable.

The scalability is quite good.

Nutanix offers good pricing.

Technical support is helpful.

What needs improvement?

There is a feature in Nutanix called fault tolerance that could be improved. It exists in the VMware hypervisor, whoever, it does not exist here. It really needs to.

To run a fault tolerance feature in Nutanix you need the time to reset the VM and to repair or to recall the backup VM. Therefore, you need a little bit of downtime. Conversely, in VMware, with the fault tolerance feature, if you want to use the fault tolerance feature, it doesn't require any downtime.

I've been working with the solution for three years.

The stability has been very good so far. If there are any errors, we always get alerts. We haven't had a problem with any bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem. You don't have to worry about downtime either, as you don't need to have downtime in order to scale up. You just expand the nodes to the cluster and go from there.

Technical support is okay. Usually, we try to handle it for our clients. When there is an error on the customer side, we go and find the error. However, if the error is beyond our reach, we query a case to Nutanix and they can have people onsite. We phone them.

The initial setup is very simple and straightforward. I wouldn't describe the process as overly complex or difficult.

The pricing is not too high if you compare it with other products, as it already has software and hardware together, and it doesn't need too much other equipment. The price seems reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

We provide server and hardware support. We focus on Nutanix and offer it to our clients. We are a distributor. We are a partner of Nutanix in Malaysia.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. If a company doesn't want an overcomplicated solution or if they want to use the hardware with a similar solution, this is a good bet. It's easy to set up and use with Nutanix products and you don't need too much in order to begin scaling.

SK
National Sales Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Fabulous support, very easy to use, and reduces the number of people required to manage the infrastructure

• "Its most valuable feature is simplicity. It is so easy to use. Upgrades are easy. It is easy in terms of disaster recovery, failover, database provisioning, and reporting. Everything about it is just simple."
  • "It was not a great fit for really large databases that required high-end or lots of compute. They might already have addressed this concern around very high-end databases that require high-end compute. In the past, it wasn't a great fit for them."

What is our primary use case?

We're a systems integration company. We do sell a lot of Nutanix, and we implement a lot of it including all different components. We love using the solution.

It is a great use case for a hybrid cloud on on-premise workloads. However, there are few workloads where it is not a great fit.

How has it helped my organization?

We've had customers that are mid-market, and they have one person for deploying, running, managing, reporting, updating, and upgrading. When you look at the total cost of ownership and you look at what it takes to run that environment, you're simplifying how you manage your environment, which reduces the number of people you need to look after your infrastructure. So, you can put those people into more productive areas.

What is most valuable?

Its most valuable feature is simplicity. It is so easy to use. Upgrades are easy. It is easy in terms of disaster recovery, failover, database provisioning, and reporting. Everything about it is just simple.

What needs improvement?

It was not a great fit for really large databases that required high-end or lots of compute. They might already have addressed this concern around very high-end databases that require high-end compute. In the past, it wasn't a great fit for them.

We have been using Nutanix since 2014.

It is very stable. Once it is set up, it just runs.

It is very scalable and easy to scale. We've implemented it in many different customers environments, both small and large. They love the fact that they can grow node by node. So, you add to your environment as you need more performance.

Their technical support is the best I've ever dealt with. I've dealt with all manufacturers over the years, and their technical support is fabulous.

I am not hands-on with other solutions, but I've worked with many different partners in the past, and I know that it is very easy to use. You save money with it by having the virtualization component. The AHV hypervisor is a huge cost saving. If you still want to run VMware in your environment, you can, and we have customers that do that, and they love it.

I'm an owner of the company, and I don't actually do the implementations, but you'd want a partner to help you set it up, or you need to be familiar with the environment. Once it is set up, it is very easy to use. We hear that over and over again from our customers.

In terms of maintenance, the great thing about it is that you can have one person, but it also depends on the size of the organization.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a 10 out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Nutanix Acropolis AOS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,529 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1475787
Sr. Systems Administrator at Enercare
Feature-rich, good data protection that is easy to set up, and it has improved our overall performance

• "The virtualization environment is now much easier to manage and maintain, there is only one vendor to call in case of issues and one single console to manage everything."
  • "I think some of the tasks that must be done using CLI could be added to the web interface."

What is our primary use case?

We've implemented Nutanix as part of a hardware refresh project. We've replaced two chassis with 28 Server blades, two storage devices, and four SAN switches by 12 Nutanix nodes.

First, we had moved some development and test workloads before sending production workloads. The first wave was successful and we couldn't wait until moving more workloads to Nutanix. We were anxious because this HCI was something we have never experimented with before and at the end of the day, it was the best thing we've done in our infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

We couldn't have chosen better, as we were able to reduce our data center footprint by two-thirds, reduced the management tools and teams, eliminated the SAN complexity, increased the IOPS metrics, and increased the overall performance by 40%.

We were also able to reduce our support contract with a third-party vendor that manages our environment due to the footprint reduction and also the SAN and Storage decommissioning.

What is most valuable?

There are lots of great built-in features such as the one-click upgrade, data protection, data locality, very fast and non-disruptive snapshots, single pane of glass, etc.

We are applying patches and upgrades every quarter using the one-click upgrade feature and we have never run into an issue. The updates go smoothly with no outages at all, and we do everything including firmware updates, AOS updates, foundation updates, hypervisor updates, all at once and it goes perfectly fine.

The data protection is also a great feature that is very easy to set up and includes lots of options for snapshot retention. The consistent snapshots are great for Windows application and database servers.

What needs improvement?

I think it is kind of frustrating, opening a CLI session going through all the CLI commands you have to run to accomplish that task and then get back to the web console to continue doing what you were doing. It would be much easier to have that same setup option available on the web console.

Also, I believe that running several different commands through a CLI can increase the chance of typos/mistakes, resulting in a bigger issue.

We have been using Nutanix Acropolis AOS for one year.

We used a different product before this one, and we moved to reduce complexity.

The setup cost, pricing, and licensing are very competitive and TCO is very low compared to three-tier solutions.

We evaluated VMware vSphere with VSAN and NSX, as well as Azure Stack.

Private Cloud
IT Administrator and Sr. VMware Engineer at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use, flexible, robust, and includes a free hypervisor

• "One of the most valuable features that can be found, is the inclusion of a hypervisor for free."
  • "While the customer support is truly incredible, for Spanish speakers it would be appropriate to have support in their native language to further improve problem-solving conditions."

What is our primary use case?

The main reason we decided to implement the Nutanix solution was the ease of use of the environment. More than anything, it's a completely robust software environment. We not only migrated our servers from VMware, but we also moved from vSphere to AHV and Acropolis. The change was incredible in every aspect.

Our team managed to complete this migration in just three days and all of our workloads will start to run amazingly after the migration. It is a robust environment that runs smoothly. For example, our SQL Servers increased their performance dramatically after migration.

How has it helped my organization?

The biggest change we had was the time it took for our IT team to perform all the tasks of administering and automating the environment. Although everything worked before, with Nutanix, things work even better, almost without administration, since it is a software that allows you to analyze down to the last detail. Tasks that were previously performed manually can be automated.

On the other hand, our development team can consume its customized resources from our datacenter without our intervention, and the Acropolis integrations via API with other environments turn the software into a complete and flexible solution.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features that can be found, is the inclusion of a hypervisor for free. This allowed us to direct the investments and the budget towards other types of aspects, generating a lot of added value.

With the cost we saved on hypervisor licenses, we were able to invest in more nodes and blocks for our platform. In this way, our environment is now prepared to grow much more without having to re-invest in hardware. On the other hand, automation managed to redirect the time of IT staff to other projects, thus increasing productivity.

What needs improvement?

There are few areas in which I think this Nutanix product should be improved, but to name a few I can decide that there should be support for more languages natively. This could apply to the main AOS and Prism environment, as well as the help channels that Nutanix offers.

Except for these points, I don't think there is much more to improve.

We have used this solution in our company for three years.

We did a full migration from VMware vSphere and vCenter to AHX and Acropolis.

AHV is free! This is a great feature that should be taken advantage of.

Beforehand, we evaluated using vXRail as a hyper-converged solution, but the cost and usage issues made us opt for Nutanix.

What other advice do I have?

It is a robust solution that also has integrations and a complete suite of solutions for multi-cloud environments.

JM
Director of Information Technology at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable with streamlined management and an impressive migration tool

• "The initial setup was quite straightforward."
  • "We did have some integration issues."

What is our primary use case?

We migrated over our AD finance applications, HR applications, DFS, et cetera. We used the product for a whole lot of different purposes.

What is most valuable?

One of the nicest features was the migration tool. Being able to take any application and migrate it over even while it was in use, and then cut it over without any downtime was very helpful.

Everything ran pretty smoothly, from what I recall.

The initial setup was quite straightforward.

The solution was very stable.

I found the pricing to be very reasonable.

What needs improvement?

I'd always like to see a bit of a drop in pricing. Everyone would.

I only worked with the product for roughly a year, and it worked well. I don't have any thoughts on improvements at the moment.

We did have some integration issues. We did have a problem with a Veeam integration. We ended up using Wasabi instead.

I used the solution at my previous job, less than a year ago. I only worked with it for about a year.

We found the stability to be quite good. Any performance issues were tied to our network and bandwidth, however, we resolved all of that. It was never an issue with the product itself.

We never hit the edge of the scalability potential. My understanding is that the product is plug-and-play. We could add more modules if we needed to. The expansion was never an issue.

We had around 200 users at our organization using the product.

We did use technical support when we needed help with a couple of questions regarding our forest environment. We were a little outdated in some areas. They were a very useful resource.

They had used VMware and it became outdated and we couldn't get it to the latest version. The pricing was also a little high, which was why they wanted to switch.

The initial setup was not overly complex or difficult. It was a straightforward process and easy to manage.

The pricing is very reasonable. In contrast, VMware's Smartnet contract is rather expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I was just a customer and an end-user. I used it at my previous organization.

We were using the latest version of the solution at the time, however, I am unsure of the exact version number. It was a brand new install. The included new servers and a new environment. Everything was new.

I'd rate the product at an eight out of ten.

I would recommend the solution to others. It worked well. Installation was quick or very helpful. Management was pretty streamlined. And most importantly, that migration tool was very impressive.

Daniel Saldarriaga
Especialista en ventas de productos at Adistec
MSP
Good interface with easy onboarding and simple to customize

• "It's easy to use and has a very smooth onboarding process."
  • "The cost of the solution is too expensive. There are other options, such as VMware, that are offered for less money. In Latin America, it seems to be overpriced for the market."

What is our primary use case?

In most of the cases, the clients use the solution as a file server or database with data and another solution. Mostly, there is hyperconversion with Acropolis and its hypervisor.

What is most valuable?

My experience with the Nutanix Acropolis is good from both a reseller and end-user experience.

The automation is excellent.

The product offers a quality hypervisor.

The solution offers very good customization.

The administration with the prem solution is very good.

Overall, it's quite a comprehensive solution.

The user experience is very good.

The product has a very nice user interface.

It's easy to use and has a very smooth onboarding process.

We find the performance to be excellent on this solution.

What needs improvement?

We've been using the solution for one year at this point. It hasn't been too long.

We've found the stability to be excellent. There aren't any issues around its reliability. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's not buggy at all.

Nutanix scales better than VMware, however, the pricing is an issue. As you scale, it costs more.

Typically, the customers that use Nutanix are larger organizations as the cost is quite high and an SME would not necessarily be able to afford it.

The technical support is very good. We're quite satisfied with the level of service we receive.

We also find that the documentation is very good and quite easy to understand, which helps with the usability of the product.

We also deal with VMware. There's some competition between the two as VMware is less expensive.

The initial setup is not complex at all. it's very easy and straightforward. The onboarding process is also nice and simple. We've had a good experience.

Between VMware and Nutanix, the price of VMware is lower. In comparison, Nutanix is pricey.

What other advice do I have?

I work for a distributor of Nutanix that also handles VMware. However, I market the Nutanix solutions primarily. We're resellers and we're a partner of Nutanix. We use both on-premises and cloud deployment versions. We tend to use Google and Amazon clouds when we use cloud deployments.

The platform is very easy to use and the administration functionality is good. Even in relation to VMware, which is cheaper, I like Nutanix best. It's easy to learn and the processes of configuration and onboarding are fantastic.

Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Charudatta Kulkarni
Head - UICT and Associate Professor at MIT Pune
Within a short span of time we can increase the capacity of the RAM or the hard disk

• "We like that the size of the box is 1U or 2U only, and all the servers are fit into that box. The ease of operation is there. All the servers and the SAN storage are inside the box."
  • "Pricing and varieties of options could be better."

What is most valuable?

We like that the size of the box is 1U or 2U only, and all the servers are fit into that box. The ease of operation is there. All the servers and the SAN storage are inside the box. So there are no wires, cables to manage. Secondly, since it is a hyper-converged infrastructure, we can scale up very easily. Suppose, for example, we were using 24 TB SAN last year, and now we are increasing up to 96 TB SAN. That is very easy to do with Nutanix. Just install the hard disk, enterprise-grade SAS or SSD, and expand that particular SAN. So within a short span of time, we can increase the capacity of the RAM or the hard disk. With how compact the equipment is it saves us a lot of space in the racks.

In previous years we had six to seven server rooms, those are consolidated to only one server room now. We have only one server room and the space of that server room is hardly is 200 square feet. Cooling is easy, the amount of cooling needed is also reduced, so the administration becomes very easy. Reports are generated very easily. Additionally, we can configure the machines, we can create the VDI, for example, at a fast pace. Within four, five minutes, we are able to create the machine.

What needs improvement?

Pricing and varieties of options could be better. I represent an educational Institute, higher education. So, the cost is a major concern. Secondly, we have the 1000 and 3000 series. So we would like to see that graphic virtualization. It should support all the open standards as well as Nutanix. If the other vendor brought some SAN or NAS, it should be very compatible with that. I would rate it at a nine on a scale of ten.

We have been using Nutanix Hyper-Converged Infrastructure for three years. We use the 1000 series.

It is very stable and scalable also. So even if we are facing the power problems, the machine restarts immediately after the power is resumed, and the machine is a rugged one. So definitely a stable machine.

It is very scalable and easy to scale quicly.

The technical support is also very nice. They have partner support and direct Nutanix support.We are getting better support from Nutanix. So I can rate them with an A grade.

The Nutanix Hyper-Converged Infrastructure is easy to install. Initially, it took around one and a half days to understand the complete setup, but now once we understand the setup, we can install the complete setup within two to three hours.

What other advice do I have?

I strongly recommend the product.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

PS
Owner at a computer software company with self employed
Low maintenance, easy to scale, and takes only hours for compute analysis

• "Its low maintenance is a key feature. It is easy to install, upgrade, and scale by adding more blocks."
  • "The self-service side of the product needs to be improved. We should be able to add two-factor authentication and more security layers to it."

What is our primary use case?

We are hosting many companies' IT. We provide IT services for our customers.

In terms of its version, I am not a system owner, so I don't know, but I guess we are regularly updating to the latest version.

What is most valuable?

Its low maintenance is a key feature. It is easy to install, upgrade, and scale by adding more blocks.

Compute analysis is really easy. It takes hours instead of days.

What needs improvement?

The self-service side of the product needs to be improved. We should be able to add two-factor authentication and more security layers to it.

We would also like more tiering of the storage if that's possible.

The company has been using it for about two years.

Its stability and performance depend on what kind of hardware you put in the nodes. Its performance is average. It doesn't have high performance on the storage side, but it is good enough for mainstream users.

It is really scalable. It is too easy to scale. We have around three people who use it right now.

We didn't have any issues that we had to escalate to their technical support.

We are using Hyper-V with Storage Spaces Direct. I don't know if it can be called hyper-converged, but it is almost hyper-converged. VMware with vSAN is also hyper-converged, but we're using it without the NSX module, so it is not a software-defined network. It is semi hyper-converged for me. As compared to these two, Nutanix is easier to use and easier to manage. It is more complex to get VMware and Hyper-V up and running than Nutanix.

It was really straightforward. We were up and running in hours. It was really easy.

Its deployment was handled internally.

Its licensing model is easy, but the bad thing is that we need to pay for the whole capacity at once. With VMware vSAN, we only have to pay for the capacity that we are using, which is not the case with Nutanix. So, we have more overhead for the licensing cost with Nutanix.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise talking to Nutanix to get the right hardware from the start and only buying certified hardware. You can use the Nutanix capacity planning information that exists to get the right sizing.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Download our free Nutanix Acropolis AOS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.