Nutanix Acropolis AOS Overview

Nutanix Acropolis AOS is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Software Defined Storage (SDS) tools. It is most often compared to VMware vSAN: Nutanix Acropolis AOS vs VMware vSAN

What is Nutanix Acropolis AOS?

Nutanix delivers invisible infrastructure for next-generation enterprise computing, elevating IT to focus on the applications and services that power their business. Nutanix’s software-driven Xtreme Computing Platform natively converges compute, virtualization and storage into a single solution to drive simplicity in the datacenter. Using Nutanix, customers benefit from predictable performance, linear scalability and cloud-like infrastructure consumption.

For more information visit: www.nutanix.com

Nutanix Acropolis AOS is also known as Nutanix AOS, Nutanix Acropolis.

Nutanix Acropolis AOS Buyer's Guide

Download the Nutanix Acropolis AOS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Nutanix Acropolis AOS Customers

St. Lukes Health System, the City of Seattle, Yahoo! Japan, Sligro, Empire Life, Hyundai AUS, and many others.

Nutanix Acropolis AOS Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Nutanix Acropolis AOS pricing:
  • "Our licensing fee on the total setup up was about R900 000."
  • "The pricing of Nutanix is not cheap but there are options available."
  • "There are a lot of features included with Nutanix that cost a lot with other companies."

Nutanix Acropolis AOS Reviews

Samuel Rothenbuehler
CTO Enterprise Cloud at Amanox Solutions (S&T Group)
Top 5Popular
Jul 15, 2020
What you might not know about Nutanix that makes it so unique

What is our primary use case?

As a systems integrator we use Nutanix on a daily basis since 2013 as out main, strategic and only infrastructure solution for virtualization and it's related storage component. We can offer most use cases today on Nutanix including VDI, server virtualization, big data and mission critical.

• "Nutanix has several unique capabilities to ensure linear scalability."
  • "There is a need is to be able to consume Nutanix storage from outside the cluster for other, non-Nutanix workloads."
Gerhard Joubert
IT Manager at Q4 Fuel
Jun 25, 2019
Has good performance and has reduced our power consumption

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Nutanix as our base environment where we host all our database servers. We also host our active directory on it, our mail servers and all our bare metal systems combined to one unit. Then we use Inuvika for the VDI environment on top of Nutanix. The main reason why we liked it is because of the high availability that we get with it. The platform's extremely stable and other nice things that we like about it is that if we have to move the server or anything, it's not a lot to move and power consumption is a big thing for us as well.

• "I definitely find the reduced power consumption very valuable."
  • "One thing I've noticed is that, when you do a shift from VMware to Nutanix, it opens the setup of the VM that's currently running. If people from another site double click on it, it opens the VM instead of the setup of the unit. So I would suggest that this could perhaps be switched. That is so far the only change I would like. I would like it if they could fix the instance where you double click on a VM and it opens the VM instead of the setup. That's the only thing that's a major bother to me."

What other advice do I have?

Nutanix is an extremely cost effective product for the stability that you get without having to install additional hardware to get everything up and running. No other product out there can compare with Nutanix. I would rate it a nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Nutanix Acropolis AOS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
464,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1439442
Associate Engineer at Secure Meters Limited
Oct 25, 2020
Reduces space and power consumption

What is our primary use case?

We use Nutanix Acropolis AOS for the high availability that we get with it. The platform's extremely stable and other nice things that we like about it is that if we have to move the server or anything, it's not a lot to move and power consumption is a big thing for us as well. My primary use case of this solution is that it helped me solve all of my use cases. I can create an integrative private cloud in a data center, create a hybrid cloud, public cloud, and near-site data recording. For example, there are lots of sites that do not have the data there so I can create data because Nutanix… more »

• "I definitely find the reduced power consumption very valuable. Another aspect I really like, when one compares Citrix to VMware, is the interface where you talk directly to your VM from the present software."
  • "As of now, Acropolis and VMware cannot talk to each other. Until we have some kind of interface, it would be much better for Nutanix if they built an interface that can talk. Otherwise, if I have a VMware stack and I already have a Nutanix stack, I can create containers, I create clusters on VMware, I create clusters on Nutanix."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten.
Steffen Hornung
Administrator at Neuberger Gebäudeautomation GmbH
Jan 6, 2021
Easy to manage in an integrated environment using a single pane of glass

What is our primary use case?

We replaced our three-tier-solution with Nutanix and kept our VMware ESXi licenses. We use it for general virtualization, host our Windows fileserver virtually, and do VirtualDesktops with Citrix there. We have two nodes equipped with one nVidia M10-GPU each to get 3D-acceleration to boost the CAE-Terminal servers. This means that VMs like AD-Domain controllers, Exchange-Servers, SQL-Servers, and various Application Servers are running side-by-side with our SAP-Systems leveraging the SAP ASE Database (no HANA, yet) virtually on vSphere 6.

• "The most valuable feature is the integration of all parts in Prism Element, the browser-based management tool."
  • "I would enjoy an advanced mode where experienced users can leverage their knowledge to do advanced things currently only allowed using the command line tools on the CVM."

What other advice do I have?

It is difficult for me to point to areas that need improvement. AOS is constantly on the move to new heights. It is considered even on a feature-level with vSAN, while far ahead of that in regards to performance and resilience. See Nutanix Principal Architect Josh Odgers CloudXC | By Josh Odgers – VMware Certified Design Expert (VCDX) #90 for a detailed explanation on that topic.
reviewer1384845
Manager, Operations at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Jul 16, 2020
Great for scaling, and good value in terms of services provided, however difficult to set up

What is our primary use case?

I won't be able to disclose anything with regards to our client's contractual agreements in terms of what we have done or not, at their premises, or even if it's on the hybrid model. I'm not even allowed to disclose the name of our clients without their prior approval, so I can't really get into primary use cases.

• "One of the most valuable features is that it can be applied at any scale."
  • "Some clients find the solution's cost to be too high."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice I could give to those considering the solution, I'll say this: it all depends on what they're looking for and what their ultimate objectives are. They need to clarify that internally before landing on Nutanix. At the same time, anyone going for hyper-converged should do so, as it's the future. Once a company decides on a solution like Nutanix, they expect to reap the benefits. Even before going with their decision, they need to know what it offers and how it will work to help them achieve their goals. At the end of the day, it's all about our clients being more effective and…
Ran Givon
CEO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Jul 1, 2019
Doubles the number of servers that we manage without having to increase the number of IT personnel managing them

What is our primary use case?

We use Nutanix on a daily basis and mainly for virtual server utilization and some VDI.

• "The management interface of this solution is great."
  • "I would have liked it if Nutanix were a hardware as well as a software platform."

What other advice do I have?

My first advice to others considering using this solution would be to always use the support because they are great. The second advice would be to read the Nutanix Bible, which is quite good. It's an online resource allowing you to understand what Nutanix is all about. The third thing is to always follow the best practices that Nutanix provides. If you follow the correct practices, you are on the fast track. I rate this a nine and a half out of ten because nothing is ever perfect. But Nutanix comes very close.
reviewer1376286
Consulting Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Jul 8, 2020
Everything is core centralized; it's a significant cost saver for those not leveraging a hypervisor

What is our primary use case?

We deliver a lot of different solutions on various platforms, including different HCI solutions and solutions like Nutanix and Cisco HyperFlex and NetApps, later HCI mile. Most of them have been on Nutanix and on Cisco HyperFlex and as well as VxRack. Our primary use case has of Nutanix has been for virtualization consolidation. We are partners and resellers of Nutanix and I'm a consulting solutions architect.

• "Everything is core centralized on the UI."
  • "Could have better visibility with the main OEM backup integrators."

What other advice do I have?

The biggest thing that I've seen has been the backup and recovery which has been challenging for them over the past couple of years. They partnered with Beam and with Rubrik and Cohesity. They had their OEM go-to's, but didn't initially deliver a very good story for application integration for backup and recovery where they had good copy data management. Most of the OEMs are very good at backing up single clusters for local backup and recovery. That said, whenever true disaster recovery was needed and you're leveraging multiple Nutanix missions site to site, there wasn't the visibility of…
Mohammed Alakhouch
Direction Générale des Impôts at a sports company with 201-500 employees
Popular
Apr 25, 2019
Having everything on one platform reduces time in maintenance for our IT team

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to support technical applications for our IT team. We are not yet using it for production.

• "It is a good solution and it is easy to work on their platform."
  • "If we can have certified compatibility with other companies, such as Oracle, then it would let us know that they function correctly together."

What other advice do I have?

We have recently acquired this solution and have done the training. We are going to be using it to support technical applications before we can generalize it, and use it on a much bigger scale. Currently, it is not the number of users that we are focused on. It will be for technical applications used only by the IT team, which is approximately seventy people. At this point, my advice for other people who are implementing this product is that they should trust Nutanix. It is a good solution and it is easy to work on their platform. It is compatible with VMware, and they have their own…
See 30 more Nutanix Acropolis AOS Reviews
Download our free Nutanix Acropolis AOS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.