Nutanix Acropolis AOS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Nutanix Acropolis AOS is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Software Defined Storage (SDS) tools. It is most often compared to VMware vSAN: Nutanix Acropolis AOS vs VMware vSAN

What is Nutanix Acropolis AOS?

Nutanix delivers invisible infrastructure for next-generation enterprise computing, elevating IT to focus on the applications and services that power their business. Nutanix’s software-driven Xtreme Computing Platform natively converges compute, virtualization and storage into a single solution to drive simplicity in the datacenter. Using Nutanix, customers benefit from predictable performance, linear scalability and cloud-like infrastructure consumption.

For more information visit: www.nutanix.com

Nutanix Acropolis AOS is also known as Nutanix AOS, Nutanix Acropolis.

Nutanix Acropolis AOS Buyer's Guide

Download the Nutanix Acropolis AOS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Nutanix Acropolis AOS Customers

St. Lukes Health System, the City of Seattle, Yahoo! Japan, Sligro, Empire Life, Hyundai AUS, and many others.

Nutanix Acropolis AOS Video

Archived Nutanix Acropolis AOS Reviews (more than two years old)

Mohammed Azzam
Senior Pre-Sales Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Scalability is perfect and configuration is easy and flexible

• "The configuration is easy, and it's flexible."
  • "In terms of the IT different categories, I would like for the governing sections to be able to use it in the IT department. If they can have something like a one view management portal or software similar to VMware that would be an added value."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for virtualization.

How has it helped my organization?

Now that we have virtualization, with its simple configuration and installation, I can run the different platforms on it.

What is most valuable?

The configuration is easy and it's flexible.

What needs improvement?

In terms of the IT different categories, I would like for the governing sections to be able to use it in the IT department. If they can have something like a one view management portal or software similar to VMware that would be an added value.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The solution is about 70% stable. I haven't had any major problems with it.

Scalability is perfect.

I would rate technical support a 7 out of 10. They're fine. There aren't many resources for that here in Saudi Arabia. We need more resources.

We previously used VMware and we switched to Nutanix because sometimes it's cheaper for the environment, the company, and also for the customer.

I'd say the initial setup falls somewhere in the middle. It's not that complex, but it's not easier than the others, for example. Deployment took a couple of hours.

We have our own consultants that helped with the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

It's easy for your IT department, manager, or director. The simplicity of it is good. I would rate this solution at 8.5 out of 10. I would rate it a 10 if support was increased in Saudi Arabia and the pricing was more competitive.

YaganadenNaicken
Senior Information Technology System Engineer at State Informatics Limited
Market leader that is cheaper than VMware

• "The cloud features in-site offering, which I found to be very interesting."
  • "There could be better support for high power ESX and other cross platform applications."

What is our primary use case?

We are looking at Acropolis only as a comparison to VMware. We want to determine what it offers better than VMware, in terms of features, as well as how we can position it to integrate to a VMware environment.

What is most valuable?

I haven't been there to test everything, but I have been to the Nutanix presentation two weeks back on Nutanix cloud. The cloud features an in-site offering, which I found to be very interesting.

What needs improvement?

There could be better support for high power ESX and other cross-platform applications. A major feature in Nutanix is that it should be able to move from AHV to BFX.

I would like to see an improved interface. I think Dell EMC is going to launch ClarityNow to address this.

We've been using Acropolis for maybe two to three months.

In terms of stability, Nutanix is a good product.

In terms of scalability, I think that it is good that it works with many clusters, which is not the same as other vendors, for which there is a limitation in terms of the clusters.

For the time being, we don't have many users. We're still in development; we did not put it on the production environment yet. We are still busy in the testing phase. Once they are all done with the test, they will be concerned with what the stakeholders want in any condition. The process will be quick and we'll have about 100 people using it for internal purposes first. Then we will back up our server to the cloud. At that point, we can expand to 1,000 or so users.

We only need one or two people to deploy and maintain this solution.

I didn't contact technical support much, but what I hear is good.

The initial setup was straightforward, not complex. We followed all their guides, and you just have to go through them and install them. The initial deployment took less than half a day.

I don't think I know. I think it's cheaper than VMware in terms of cost.

VMware is already in the market and we have been using VMware first. Now Nutanix just emerged as the leader. That's why we are comparing them.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to go for Nutanix because it is the way the market is going. Nutanix is becoming the leader in the market. Also, Nutanix offers far more software features than other products. You will not need much effort to understand the product. It's very simple to work with.

I would rate this solution as nine out of ten. I can't give it a full ten yet since we are not fully inside.

Learn what your peers think about Nutanix Acropolis AOS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,462 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user1104888
Sr IT Consultant at Vision Insurence
Helps us to install hardware and taught us how to deploy with a reset

• "We are suggesting Nutanix to the management because of scalability and time efficiency."
  • "The storage and back-up facilities could be improved. We need day-to-day encrypting of the database."

What is our primary use case?

We started using Nutanix recently. I'm working here in Muscat, Oman and I take care of a complete data center, the managing, security, and maintenance. We deployed Nutanix recently with the help of Entech. Entech is the main vendor here in Muscat. In that setup, we are using the VMA 6.5 as well as 6. The primary use is for node clusters. We are reviewing the Nutanix servers now.

How has it helped my organization?

We use Nutanix Acropolis to look after the cluster, the migration, etc. and run the data center. We have around 300 users here using it.

We deployed a basic setup, then afterward one-by-one, we re-migrated the servers.

Only four people are needed to deploy Nutanix Acropolis and maintain it. I'm the main keeper for maintaining the original deployment and everything I must do.

At a cost level, it compared well with the other vendors. Nutanix is very costly compared to others, even HP but, it works very well.

We recommend Nutanix to the management because of scalability and time efficiency. These advantages aim at the next level of relationship for our current management, then we'll decide on future deployments.

What is most valuable?

Nutanix helped us to install hardware and taught us how to deploy with a reset. We learned how to install the Nutanix OS, and run a network.

What needs improvement?

The storage and back-up facilities could be improved. The storage and recording back-up for updates where we can maintain the data server and handle an insurance company.

We need day-to-day encrypting of the database. We're purchasing Acropolis and Veritas. That is a big headache. We are using Nutanix for backup and storage purposes. That is now going well in terms of storage and backup.

The cloud base is an extra feature. It should be the standard. Nutanix Cloud is not that helpful for us.

We have been using Nutanix Acropolis around two years.

The stability is good. It's time efficient compared to Dell and HP servers. Compared to those companies the stability is very good.

Once you start the server, use the boot manual for very user-friendly options.

The main scalability is time-efficiency. If you are conserving your data, this kind of scalability and performance is very good.

For technical support, we're not in contact with them. We get the information online. You can search to get to the solution.

Before we were using Mascot. Then we started with Nutanix.

The initial setup is straightforward and not complex. It is easy. It's the firewall only. Initial deployment takes less time. We have around four data centers here.

Starting up takes around two days, plan for an extra day per data center.

The vendors, Entech, gave very good training to us. I did that one myself.

We evaluated many solutions but finally went with this one. We went with Dell. That is a portable device. We found this one to be better.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Nutanix Acropolis. We are a national insurance company here. We require scalability. Nutanix is very good at whatever the scale is. There are no headaches. You can boot-up other servers, all in one.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Nutanix Acropolis a nine. I would go to 10, but many features are not perfect.

Ran Givon
CEO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Doubles the number of servers that we manage without having to increase the number of IT personnel managing them

• "The management interface of this solution is great."
  • "I would have liked it if Nutanix were a hardware as well as a software platform."

What is our primary use case?

We use Nutanix on a daily basis and mainly for virtual server utilization and some VDI.

How has it helped my organization?

Nutanix Acropolis allows us to manage our company with a smaller team of IT technicians. It doubles the number of servers that we manage without having to increase the number of IT personnel managing it. It allows us to build more with less. This would be a great example of why we use Nutanix.

Also, every time we have a new stack or when we need to expand the cluster, it is no hassle. It takes less than five minutes. When we have to upgrade, everything runs automatically, so my team can basically just start an upgrade, go and have a coffee, and three hours later come back to see that everything is finished and upgraded automatically.

We use Nutanix hardware, so we have a single vendor and a single stack for everything, which makes the life cycle management very simple and very forward.

What is most valuable?

The management interface of this solution is great. We really enjoy not being locked into VMware as the app adviser vendor. The latest version of Acropolis has a very handy micro-segmentation feature, which we use very often. Overall, I think the most significant upside is the great support provided by Nutanix.

What needs improvement?

I believe the only things that may need to improve is that the Nutanix Controller VM consumes quite a lot of resources. If that could be reduced, it would be great. Secondly, I would have liked it if Nutanix were a hardware as well as a software platform. I think they are currently progressing into a software only path. I think that, in the near future, their own hardware will be discontinued. I can understand why they're doing it, but I would have preferred them to continue being a one-stop shop for hardware and software alike.
However, so far, for our company, the wish list is completely covered.

I am the CEO at a tech services company and we've been using this solution for three years now.

Nutanix Acropolis is super stable.

We currently have about 900 clusters/users using this program, with only four admins running this environment on a part-time basis. I would say that each Nutanix cluster does not require more than three to four hours of maintenance per month. We plan to increase our usage.

I was absolutely amazed by the linear growth and scalability of this solution and it is the best I've ever seen. Every time we need to grow, we simply add another node and in less than two hours, the storage volume gets increased.

The technical support is great and that is why we have chosen Nutanix. We have actually chosen Nutanix because of their very high J.D. score, and it's proven to be exactly that: the best support I've ever seen.

We have not used any other solutions before. We have tested many other vendors, such as SimpliVity, but we haven't used anything before.

The initial setup was amazingly fast and very straightforward. The deployment didn't take long because we are currently running four different clusters. Less than a day after the box containing the program was delivered to our offices, the first cluster was up and running.

Our company provide integration services for Nutanix, so we do our own installation, setup, and deployment.

What other advice do I have?

My first advice to others considering using this solution would be to always use the support because they are great. The second advice would be to read the Nutanix Bible, which is quite good. It's an online resource allowing you to understand what Nutanix is all about. The third thing is to always follow the best practices that Nutanix provides. If you follow the correct practices, you are on the fast track.

I rate this a nine and a half out of ten because nothing is ever perfect. But Nutanix comes very close.

Jalila El Ahrache
IS Manager with 51-200 employees
Easy to to use and has a quick and straightforward setup

• "The most valuable features are its ease of use and its good performance."
  • "The product could be improved with more security. The product needs a bit more experience in the market. I think you don't have the possibility to add other hardware. It could be improved with the ability to add and extend."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for electronic VPN management and HR applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are its ease of use and its good performance.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved with more security. The product needs a bit more experience in the market. I think you don't have the possibility to add other hardware. It could be improved with the ability to add and extend.

I have been using Nutanix since June 2017.

Stability, in my opinion, is very good.

Scalability from my impression of the solution is that it's very good. We have 300 users.

My experience with customer support has been good. They're quick in response and offer quality help.

Previously, we used VMware. But it's a completely different solution with a different platform.

The initial setup was straightforward. It wasn't complex; it was easy to setup. Deployment took about 2 to 3 hours maximum. We require five people for deployment and maintenance.

When it came time to implement, we have our own service provider, so we went with them.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give would be to ensure you choose the right configuration.

I like the product very much. I would say use it as a solution. I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

GJ
IT Manager at Q4 Fuel
Has good performance and has reduced our power consumption

• "I definitely find the reduced power consumption very valuable."
  • "One thing I've noticed is that, when you do a shift from VMware to Nutanix, it opens the setup of the VM that's currently running. If people from another site double click on it, it opens the VM instead of the setup of the unit. So I would suggest that this could perhaps be switched. That is so far the only change I would like. I would like it if they could fix the instance where you double click on a VM and it opens the VM instead of the setup. That's the only thing that's a major bother to me."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Nutanix as our base environment where we host all our database servers. We also host our active directory on it, our mail servers and all our bare metal systems combined to one unit. Then we use Inuvika for the VDI environment on top of Nutanix.

The main reason why we liked it is because of the high availability that we get with it. The platform's extremely stable and other nice things that we like about it is that if we have to move the server or anything, it's not a lot to move and power consumption is a big thing for us as well.

How has it helped my organization?

We are not fully in production yet and we are still busy testing Nutanix. A couple of things that it makes a huge difference in is our company's power consumption because we don't have to use computers for all our employees. We can simply put down a Raspberry Pi or a little nook, and in the Inuvika environment, everything is up and running immediately. It gives the users a lot more freedom in connection with what they usually have in a standard setup. With everything operating in the cluster, the chances of losing data is reduced by about 90%. We use this move from one site because we've got about seven sites that we are running from the one Nutanix cluster.
We can move a user from one site to another site without having to move hardware. It is very user-friendly. Another thing I like a lot about Inuvika is the deduplication that you can do on different containers. You don't have to do everything on one container or on one VM itself.

What is most valuable?

I definitely find the reduced power consumption very valuable. Another aspect I really like, when one compares Citrix to VMware, is the interface where you talk directly to your VM from the present software. We have found that it is a lot more responsive using VMware compared to Citrix.

What needs improvement?

One thing I've noticed is that, when you do a shift from VMware to Nutanix, it opens the setup of the VM that's currently running. If people from another site double click on it, it opens the VM instead of the setup of the unit. So I would suggest that this could perhaps be switched. That is so far the only change I would like. I would like it if they could fix the instance where you double click on a VM and it opens the VM instead of the setup. That's the only thing that's a major bother to me.

We've only been using Nutanix Acropolis for a short time now so we haven't gone into full production with the product yet.

The easiest way to explain the stability of Nutanix is to start it up and forget about it. We haven't had any problems with this solution. We've done a couple of tests and restarts and we've moved VMs from one machine to another machine. We tested the availability and we didn't have any problems with that either. The performance and stability of Nutanix is so good, it is almost unbelievable.

This product is very scalable. We currently have 60 users. One of the things I like about it is that you can add extra nodes without any problem. Something we are currently looking at for the future is to put a smaller cluster on each side, where we can then, overnight, replicate the data from the site to the primary cluster. That's one of the other reasons why we looked at Nutanix instead of VMware and Citrix.
At this stage, we haven't transferred our SQL database as of yet. We're waiting for the software providers to come in and do the transfer from the old server to the new server. All our documents and all our data must be transferred.

We had only one query so far, and the support team was excellent. They came back to us immediately and their service was excellent.

We used a different solution before we started using Nutanix. We ran three sites on EXSi from VMware. After doing some research, I saw the feasibility of Nutanix. Not only on costs, but on scalability as well. Although I'm a big VMware fan, I've found that one only has a certain amount of time to build your setup with VMware, and if you don't do it in that time, you must start again. One of the main things I liked of Nutanix, is that I can add an extra node or four extra or nodes if needed within a period of two years.

The initial setup was really straightforward. We had a little trouble with the nicks. Also, under the software setup, it doesn't give you the version of the software. It only shows as 'unknown'. So we had to dive into the setup to find out which version it was to update correctly. The entire setup took us half a day. We used a consultant for the deployment. The service I received from them is unbelievable.

One of the major problems with IT in South Africa is that licensing fees are 14 times more expensive than anywhere in the world. This is due to the rand/dollar exchange rate. If I remember correctly, our licensing fee on the total setup was about R900,000.
There are no additional costs. The only additional things we added to the system was Commvault for additional backup services for the cluster.

We looked at other options like VMware and Citrix, but Nutanix was the only solution that offered us scalability and the option to add extra notes without any problems.

What other advice do I have?

Nutanix is an extremely cost effective product for the stability that you get without having to install additional hardware to get everything up and running. No other product out there can compare with Nutanix.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

GILLES THEAUDIERE
Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
One interface for complete solution with maximum storage

• "The fact that there is only one interface to deploy a complete solution for maximum storage is fantastic."
  • "They have offered some new features that I have not deployed so I assume that these issues might have been addressed already, but, at my time there was a networking problem."

What is our primary use case?

I used this for training the value-added reseller. I trained the technique on the console terms to be able to pass the NCP exam.

What is most valuable?

The fact that there is only one interface to deploy a complete solution for maximum storage is fantastic.

What needs improvement?

They have offered some new features that I have not deployed so I assume that these issues might have been addressed already, but there was a networking problem. This solution could use network improvements.

I think the next release should include a software improvement, like the ability to deploy with a cloud provider like Amazon or Microsoft Azure. I believe that they are already working on this and I think that the best improvement would be to remove the storage configuration because you don't need to manage or to configure this. By default, it should take all the available storage to present the data. They should create network storage in which the administrator doesn't have to manage or configure this part. They should work on the deployment and storage.

I've used Nutanix for more than five years.

The stability is very good. It was actually the hardware that had some issues and that does not have to do with Nutanix. The hardware manufacturer is behind that. I don't remember having any issues with the stability of the software.

Scalability is very good, I have removed nodes with no problem. It works well when you follow all the best practices of course.

Sometimes during the most important trainings, there were 14 staff members on two internet clusters.

I have no idea how customer service is because I've never dealt with them. We managed to solve any problems by ourselves so we didn't call support.

I have used VMware solutions with server and storage on the same switch. It was the same product on the same architecture, so I cannot challenge those architectures. They are one and the same. I used to deploy HP 300 AP, which is the exact same solution from HP with the VSA solution. VMware was embedded, but from my point of view, it was a little bit too difficult compared to Nutanix.

I don't remember how complex the setup was. In terms of deployment time, it depends on the nodes. I bring solutions with ACP on HTTP and it takes about the 45 minutes and once I had the chance to deploy on an all-flash solution and it was very fast.

I did the setup by my self. I had to reimage each of the nodes to be able to produce a definite image.

What other advice do I have?

Follow the best practices and check everything. The network is always the point of failure, and if you don't configure or manage the best ways for the network, it will remind you that you have an issue, or that you don't have well-prepared deployment.

I would rate Nutanix as nine out of ten because there is always room for improvement. From the beginning, they had a start-up position, but now it seems that they are going to move to the dark side of the market on the license end, like VMware. It seems like you will need a license for everything now. In the beginning, you could have everything with one license, but it looks like now you need a license for these features, another license for other features, and for everything that gives improvements to the solutions you have to buy another license for. That is not good from my point of view.

Mohamed Shatla
Technical Head at eSky IT
We use this for desktop infrastructure, virtualization, and private cloud

• "Best features are around data locality, compression, and deduplication."
  • "We could always use a performance upgrade, or simplified management."

What is our primary use case?

We have multiple use cases. We use this for desktop infrastructure, virtualization, general virtual machines, as well as private cloud use cases.

What is most valuable?

Any feature related to the performance, like data locality, compression, and deduplication are all very important features.

What needs improvement?

We could always use a performance upgrade, or simplified management.

The features I would most like to see added would be: compatibility for HV, improvement to the cloud features, and more private features.

We've been using Nutanix for four years.

It is very stable. We have only had really small issues, and some of it was resolved with my Nutanix support.

Nutanix is very powerful. We have many customers with a number of nodes in the same cluster.

The Nutanix support team is very, very powerful.

Setup was very straightforward. We deployed our own service implementation deployment for four years. I am the consultant. We have a team for deployment, with five engineers.

Pricing varies greatly between license and editions. The license also changes in by number of users. So, it's a little difficult to calculate the license cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Nutanix as nine out of ten. A perfect ten is very challenging to acheive, but I think nine is basically perfect.

Emmanuel Onen
Enterprise Technical Consultant at Datacentrix (Pty) Ltd
Has a simple interface and is easy to deploy

• "The most valuable feature would be the ease of deployment. That is the most significant feature for me because I've worked with multiple vendors and it's always been very complicated to install the software and get everything running."
  • "If they can simplify the software slightly for the installation, that would make all the difference."

What is our primary use case?

I had a customer that was a bank. The bank needed to deploy eight nodes at one site and eight nodes at another. Nutanix was great. We consolidated the whole infrastructure because they had heard about the solution and they bought it straight off the top, and they believed in it.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature would be the ease of deployment. That is the most significant feature for me because I've worked with multiple vendors and it's always been very complicated to install the software and get everything running. It has better software to get everything up and running.

It has a simple interface.

What needs improvement?

They should lower the price. If they did they would fall into a more competitive market because the price does scare a lot of potential customers away when they get the quote. Otherwise, I never had to call tech support. I actually met up with one of their consultants just three days before I went for deployment. It was the very first time I'd actually tested the software, and that was enough for me to go to the site and get all the work done.

There's one area in which they should make the software simpler with the deployment. If they can make it just a few steps easier, it will be unbeatable. I'm technically experienced so it was simple, but others who aren't as experienced might struggle. If they can simplify the software slightly for the installation, that would make all the difference.

We have been using Nutanix since last November.

Stability is unquestionable, it's seamless. It's 100% uptime.

The way this device can continue scaling is mind-blowing. I did 1/50th of what it can grow up to and the fact that it can do compression and has all of this amazing software, you don't need it to scale that high. You can just quote for a small solution and it will be significant, which is where they enter the market.

We haven't had any issues that required technical support but I would say that the technical resource who taught us the software and told us how to plug it in and how to install it was amazing. He knew absolutely everything. He had an answer for every question.

The initial setup was very straightforward. I've only been in enterprise as a technical consultant and presales for eight years, which is not so much time relative to a lot of people. The initial setup was simple for me. I never ran into anything that was too complicated. I didn't spend that much time learning the software. I just decoded twice with one of the representatives and that was as much as I needed.

They gave one week to deploy to allow enough leeway for complications, delay and whatsoever. I was finished in three business days. That goes from unboxing each and every device, racking, inspecting and setting it up to walking out of your environment and telling the customer they can take over.

We only require two staff members for the deployment and maintenance, a technical colleague and me.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this solution to go with it. We deal with multiple vendors. We're actually partners with a lot of vendors. Most of the enterprise vendors are in the top 10 but I'll say that this is the best that I've worked with.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

AS
System Administrator at DLS-CSB
Useful for making projections but the GUI needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is virtualization.

How has it helped my organization?

It consolidates our servers and improves our electricity consumption and cooling as well.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the analytics. It gives us a projection of our usage and we can easily justify any request that we have for improvements.

What needs improvement?

The GUI for this solution needs improvement.

Two years.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is virtualization.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The GUI for this solution needs improvement.

MA
Direction Générale des Impôts at a sports company with 201-500 employees
Having everything on one platform reduces time in maintenance for our IT team

• "It is a good solution and it is easy to work on their platform."
  • "If we can have certified compatibility with other companies, such as Oracle, then it would let us know that they function correctly together."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to support technical applications for our IT team. We are not yet using it for production.

What is most valuable?

I think that the most interesting features are the replication and redundancy.

It is a good solution and it is easy to work on a Nutanix platform.

What needs improvement?

I think that there are several areas that they can improve slightly, including the mail servers, the application servers, and perhaps even the database servers.

Less than one year.

My impression of the stability is good. At the moment, we haven't had any issues.

I cannot comment about the scalability at this time because I don't know when we are going to generalize the solution. We may be able to say by next year, perhaps.

Our intention is to expand its usage beyond the IT team to other applications.

Nutanix technical support is very good.

Prior to this solution, we used VMware on Intel technology. We also have IBM IT Infrastructure with Power technology. We switched to Nutanix because it is easier to manage and administer the platform, compared to others.

The initial setup was easy, although we had one problem related to synchronization with the NT servers. We created a technical support ticket, and they helped us to fix the issue. It was very easy.

The deployment took not more than two or three weeks, including the migration of the servers. It is difficult to say because we acquired Nutanix with other solutions, but I think that Nutanix was faster. Not more than two weeks.

Our IT team will be maintaining the solution, and if we ever have an issue then we can call the integrator. If they cannot fix the problem then we will open a ticket to the Nutanix support.

We used an integrator to assist us with the deployment of this solution. They have done a good job.

We haven't measured our ROI for the moment, but the fact that everything is in the same solution will make life easier for our IT team. We won't have to call the storage specialist or the network specialist every time we have a problem. Everything is packaged in the same solution, and to update the platform is very easy. This will be our first ROI.

There are a lot of problems that occur. One example is when we update the firmware for a product, it can make life difficult for us. If we have a new disk that is not compatible with the storage then updating the firmware causes other things to malfunction. That is quite difficult for all of us. Overall, I think that we will be reducing the time in maintenance as compared to other platforms.

The licensing cost is on a yearly basis. There are a lot of features included with Nutanix that cost a lot with other companies.

We were given demonstrations of other solutions, but we were satisfied with all of the features that Nutanix offers.

What other advice do I have?

We have recently acquired this solution and have done the training. We are going to be using it to support technical applications before we can generalize it, and use it on a much bigger scale.

Currently, it is not the number of users that we are focused on. It will be for technical applications used only by the IT team, which is approximately seventy people.

At this point, my advice for other people who are implementing this product is that they should trust Nutanix. It is a good solution and it is easy to work on their platform. It is compatible with VMware, and they have their own container, which is free.

I would rate this product a ten out of ten.

LD
IT Project Manager with 5,001-10,000 employees
I like the prism central administration console

What is our primary use case?

HQ datacenter workload plus branch offices local datacenter (including small file sharing on Windows VM).

How has it helped my organization?

Nutanix simplified administration efforts dramatically and increased the performances of some mission-critical applications.

What is most valuable?

One-click upgrade Data locality for performances Prism central administration console Metro availbility.

What needs improvement?

Price politics sometimes is not very transparent for the worldwide organization.  Better value for money about file share feature We feel that the cost for capacity is still more expensive compared to other solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• One-click upgrade
  • Data locality for performances
  • Prism central administration console
  • Metro availbility.

What needs improvement?

• Price politics sometimes is not very transparent for the worldwide organization.
  • Better value for money about file share feature
  • We feel that the cost for capacity is still more expensive compared to other solutions.

it_user772293
Senior Business Analyst with 51-200 employees
Energy consumption has been saved by around 30% to 40% and the number of IOPS have increased

• "As of now, Acropolis and VMware cannot talk to each other. Until we have some kind of interface, it would be much better for Nutanix if they built an interface which can talk. Otherwise, if I have a VMware stack and I already have a Nutanix stack, I create containers, I create clusters on VMware, I create clusters on Nutanix. All of these clusters cannot talk to each other. Then it has to be then subverted as a parallel execution. What happens then is that I have to work in two different environments within my data center. Practically, they are two different data centers but physically and logically, they are one. If they cannot talk to each other that creates a lot of issues. That is something which Nutanix has to develop because for Nutanix it is very simple. For example, Oracle is using a function called GoldenGate. They have a feature called GoldenGate which allows them to talk to various different environments which must really help."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is that it helped me solve all of my use cases. I can create an integrative private cloud in a data center, create a hybrid cloud, public cloud, and near-site data recording. For example, there are lots of sites that do not have the data there so I can create data because Nutanix also has got it stored on the nodes. So it takes care of storage on the nodes. I can build storage on the nodes, compute them, give the clients who already have a small data center within themselves but they do not have it externally. By using storage on the nodes in Nutanix I can give them the external.

From a performance perspective, I have not had any issue as of now and from a latency and performance position, it has done quite well. Also no issues.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the benefits this solution has had for my organization is the space consumption. Space consumption was reduced by approximately 40% because if I had gone with another kind of traditional, or open world solution, then I would have not saved my floor space. Another way it has benefited my organization is because of the energy consumption. Currently, energy consumption has been saved by around 30% to 40%. Plus the number of IOPS has increased,  I'm getting the highest IOPS in Nutanix. I had situations where I got applications that depend on public IP, RAM, and LAN. In both cases, I have some very efficient data that, more or less, in terms of resource requirement, I don't need resources for.

What is most valuable?

On-demand scaling is the most valuable feature, I can keep on scaling on-demand. Secondly, Nutanix allows me to create my own configuration. I can create my own configuration and I can get all of it as per my configuration. Number three is that in Nutanix if I do three or four nodes if I look at the traditional environment I have to really figure out the wave concept. Connect wave one, wave two, wave six, wave five. In Nutanix I don't have any of these issues. Lastly, deduplication. Deduplication and erasure coding.

What needs improvement?

As of now, Acropolis and VMware cannot talk to each other. Until we have some kind of interface, it would be much better for Nutanix if they built an interface which can talk. Otherwise, if I have a VMware stack and I already have a Nutanix stack, I can create containers, I create clusters on VMware, I create clusters on Nutanix. All of these clusters cannot talk to each other. Then it has to be then subverted as a parallel execution. What happens then is that I have to work in two different environments within my data center. Practically, they are two different data centers but physically and logically, they are one. If they cannot talk to each other that creates a lot of issues. That is something which Nutanix has to develop. For example, Oracle is using a function called GoldenGate. They have a feature called GoldenGate which allows them to talk to various different environments which must really help.

Nutanix will be there for the long run because if you look at it, Nutanix is not into the hardware business. Nutanix is mainly into the software business. For any business which is running on a hardware business, stability is a little difficult because hardware keeps on changing but since Nutanix is only into the software, and they only sell the hardware, I guess it is on Super Micro. They have greater stability than anyone else because they are purely into the software medium.

Nutanix's scalability is better than anyone else. The only area where Nutanix still lags in terms of scalability is the storage on the nodes. For example, Nutanix has to make its scalability, in terms of storage on the nodes for 100% ACI-based storage on the nodes, as of now it cannot go more than interact in a single bracket. Cannot go more than, up to one petabyte usable storage. If you look at other windows, they can go up to 2 petabytes, 2.5 petabytes and I think Nutanix has to look into that aspect. Many times, whoever buys the Nutanix solution, buys a high compute and storage or they buy only storage with low compute. So only storage with low compute really helps in terms of storing offline databases or storing unstructured databases. For example, when there was a lot of unstructured data coming in into my data center, two different centers, and two different cameras. All of this unstructured data I can store into storage-only nodes. Nutanix cannot go more than to 900 to 800 GB interact when I'm storing on the nodes. Then the customers are forced to look for a solution which can give better storage options than Nutanix.

Their technical support is really good. They have been very helpful.

We wanted to have a data center of our own. I did a lot of research into Nutanix, spent around 77 hours, and presented a report. In government what happens is that anybody can go and buy a solution but keeping it maintained and sustained for a longer period is extremely challenging in government because people keep on changing because there are a lot of transfers. People keep on switching from one department to another department. They are not technically savvy. These are the two challenges. From a long term sustainability perspective I have to see whether will I be able to manage this entire infrastructure. Third was cost. I distributed my comparative study in three different areas and then sub areas in terms of technology, resources, training, scalability, and all that stuff. Finally, we found Nutanix is the best solution and that's how we went ahead with this solution.

The initial setup was not complex at all. It was very simple. I was monitoring the entire racking, stacking, cabling and all of that stuff. I was there while my team was doing that and we had, every day, two to three meetings while doing that and I learned that it's quite simple but it's not easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten. If they develop the interoperability then it would make it a ten.

I would advise someone considering this solution to not look at the market share. Look at the technical aspects in terms of the long term sustainability like licensing issues, easy scalability, hardware infrastructure, and storage compute. It should help in saving your OpEx costs in terms of floor space, energy, power consumption, and energy. Also look at latency IOPS and availability and if you can train your associates easily in the support aspect.

PC
    Owner at SIS International HK Limited
    Reseller
    It has solid performance and provides data locality

What is our primary use case?

At the moment, I am using this solution for internal use. Its performance is quite good.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its data locality, as well as the solution's performance.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a fuller integration with the public cloud. It would help the user enter the hybrid cloud infrastructure.

Manzeel Uprety
    Co-Founder at Mero Reading Room

• "The level of statistical performance data that it can confirm in real-time is extremely useful. I can see what my VM’s hosts and guests are doing from a single pane of glass and identify issues before they would otherwise become apparent."
    • "Regarding third-party backup solutions, the only agentless option is Commvault, which is expensive, complex, and requires intensive vendor training."

What is our primary use case?

Prepping my environment with Turbonomic before migrating made the transition quicker and easier by right-sizing my VMs. It continues to offer great features in my new environment.

How has it helped my organization?

• The simplicity Prism (AHV) delivers over other hypervisor solutions has dramatically alleviated the workload, reducing the work pressure from the current workforce.
    • It has helped us to distinctly improve our organization and proved to be an effective solution.

What is most valuable?

• The level of statistical performance data that it can confirm in real-time is extremely useful. I can see what my VM’s hosts and guests are doing from a single pane of glass and identify issues before they would otherwise become apparent.
    • The informatics support for this graphical software is up-to-date with the latest infographic web trends.

What needs improvement?

• Site-to-site deduplication needs some work. It’s not as feature-rich for a disaster recovery implementation, but my understanding is that it is slated for improvement in near future releases.
    • DRS-like functionality is also a much-desired feature slated for a future release.
    • Third-party solutions are few and far between right now since Nutanix is so new considering the production of the software. Improvements should be made to compensate for upcoming software and solutions.
    • Regarding third-party backup solutions, the only agentless option is Commvault, which is expensive, complex, and requires intensive vendor training. We opted to use the built-in snapshot replication options from Azure.

Less than one year.

Consider purchasing Turbonomic with or before Nutanix. They pair and play well together.

If you do use Turbonomic before going with Nutanix, make sure the company knows you intend to move to Nutanix. This ensures you license the proper features.

What other advice do I have?

Do not dismiss Nutanix too hastily over one little feature or another. They are advancing, and it is worth your patience. The value brought in from simplicity, support, and time savings is worth a consideration.

SJ
    Storage Analyst at Fidelity National Information Services, Inc.
    User
    SRM capabilities for replication have been proven reliable, but it doesn't support other systems outside of its compute stack

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for hyper-converged deployments of VMs and SRM replication. It is performing very well.

What is most valuable?

SRM capabilities for replication have been proven reliable and very useful for our organization.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see it support other systems outside of the compute stack from which it was built.

Trial/evaluations only.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to others.

Trial/evaluations only.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to others.

SK
    System Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    It has seamless expandability

What is our primary use case?

Currently, we are using it for our VMware workstation. We use it to host our non-production servers.

How has it helped my organization?

It has seamless expandability.

What is most valuable?

Their Google operating system is more mature, so their results are much better.

What needs improvement?

I don't feel that I am receiving the performance which I am paying for. We should have something called micro segmentation inside the Nutanix box, which can be easily implemented. They should support more VM, which is not currently supported.

The technical support is very good.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

It has seamless expandability.

What is most valuable?

Their Google operating system is more mature, so their results are much better.

What needs improvement?

I don't feel that I am receiving the performance which I am paying for.

They should support more VM, which is not currently supported.

The technical support is very good.

The initial setup was straightforward.

The operating system is free.

MM
    Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Enables us to easily mix performance nodes with storage nodes

• "Flexibility. We're able to mix performance nodes with storage nodes easily. Unlike other vendors where, if we start a hyperconverged solution with them, we have to stick to a specific model, to a specific series with specific capabilities, with Nutanix it's very easy to mix and match the best solution, especially for a dynamic infrastructure like ours."
    • "It would be fantastic if there was a built-in layer, in Nutanix, that acted like a cloud interface. So far, we need to integrate a cloud interface on top of Nutanix for billing the usage for specific customers' domains. It would be great if a cloud gateway was built-in, inside Nutanix."
    • "One of the very important things that I would like to see in Nutanix, but I'm not sure if it's in the roadmap or not, is to have some kind of caching optimization at remote sites, to build active-active data centers more easily."

What is our primary use case?

We're using Acropolis as our own cloud platform. FutureTech, my company, has built a cloud which is called Jute Cloud and is offering services to customers in Kuwait, Bahrain, and in Jordan as well. We are offering infrastructure as a service, backup as a service, DR as a service, security as a service. All of that is based on Nutanix Acropolis.

In terms of performance, it is outstanding.

How has it helped my organization?

The TCO model of Nutanix is much more mature than other solutions, because everything is consolidated. We're getting the best value for our investments. We're able to build cost-effective solutions, so it helps us to generate better revenue, and better margins as well.

What is most valuable?

Flexibility. We're able to mix performance nodes with storage nodes easily. Unlike other vendors where, if we start a hyperconverged solution with them, we have to stick to a specific model, to a specific series with specific capabilities, with Nutanix it's very easy to mix and match the best solution, especially for a dynamic infrastructure like ours.

What needs improvement?

It would be fantastic if there was a built-in layer, in Nutanix, that acted like a cloud interface. So far, we need to integrate a cloud interface on top of Nutanix for billing the usage for specific customers' domains. It would be great if a cloud gateway was built-in, inside Nutanix.

Also, one of the very important things that I would like to see in Nutanix, but I'm not sure if it's in the roadmap or not, is to have some kind of caching optimization at remote sites, to build active-active data centers more easily.

Three to five years.

The stability is really outstanding.

One of my biggest customers worldwide is called Agility and they have distributed data centers around the world. In my first meeting, I asked the IT Manager there, "Okay, so what do you think about Nutanix's stability?" He said, "You know what? My only problem with Nutanix is that it's very stable, so I don't know how my engineers, if one day they face a problem, will fix it, because it's very stable, unlike other vendors."

We literally put the appliance in production, and we forget about it. It's a very stable environment. More than 70 percent of my sales are coming from existing customers. Customers start with a small workload and then they add more workloads because they find the platform very stable and they can depend on it. They can add more workloads to it. And they even refer the technology to other customers as well.

No other vendor in the market today has the scalability options that Nutanix has. We're able to mix different models, different capacity models, different performance models. It can do all of that. Other vendors cannot do that.

The support is very good, because whenever we have a support ticket, even from the virtualization layer, all we need to do is open one ticket with Nutanix, and they solve all of our problems related to hardware or related to hypervisor. We love that because it helps us to maintain our SLAs.

They are very responsive.

We switched to Nutanix Acropolis, because of the 3D architecture. The old architecture has a lot of disadvantages. For example, whenever there is a support ticket that needs to be opened, we used to check with the software manufacturers, and they would point fingers at the hypervisor layer or the virtualization software, so we would have to go open a ticket again with the virtualization vendor. Then, they would say, "No, maybe it's the storage." Then the storage guy would say, "No, maybe it's the SAN switch, not the storage," and we would keep on cycling.

With Nutanix, the best thing is that they support the whole solution. We're getting just one appliance.

One more issue was the storage itself. Regardless of how big the investment was - we could increase the capacity of the storage as much as we wanted - the problem remained in the IOPS. We found a very good solution for this in Nutanix, because whenever we're adding new appliances, not only are we increasing the capacity, but we're also increasing the performance. This is the best solution, especially for a dynamic workload.

Our most important criteria when selecting a vendor are

• support
    • having a decent roadmap
    • R&D.

Those are the most important factors. I put support first because maybe they have a very good technical solution but the support is very weak. That would be a very big problem for me, and production. And a vendor that is investing in R&D, it makes a lot of sense for me to use them.

I evaluated Cisco HyperFlex. It was very weak. We also compared EMC2. They have a hyperconverged solution, but I don't remember what its name was. We also evaluated Simplivity, which is now part of HPE. All of them lacked a lot of features compared to Nutanix.

For example, automatic sync is not there. To guarantee the performance in all of them, you have to go with all-flash nodes. Nutanix is more cost-effective because we can mix a hyper solution and still get better performance than all-flash from those vendors.

What other advice do I have?

Do a demo. Don't just depend on the theoretical information in the information sheets, but go for an actual demo. Once you see a demo in action, you know exactly what the features are and how to do it.

I rate Nutanix Acropolis a 10 out of 10 because we're getting superior performance, support is very good, and it's a very cost-effective solution.

TW
    IT Architect, Senior at American Electric Power Company, Inc.
    User
    Prism Central allows managing the cluster from a single pane of glass

• "Prism Central allows managing the cluster from a single pane of glass, and it allows a deeper dive into the solution."
    • "I would like better integration of XenServer into the AOS and Prism Central."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using Nutanix in a PoC environment to determine if it will meet our VDI needs, as well as our server virtualization needs. Our current production environment uses Citrix XenServer as the hypervisor. Nutanix plans to work with XenServer, but in the PoC, we have elected to test the Acropolis Hypervisor.

How has it helped my organization?

Our current production solution is complicated and requires many different management consoles to configure and monitor the solution. Inevitably, something gets missed and requires us troubleshoot resources. The Nutanix PoC appears to eliminate some of this confusion. The AHV integrates with the solution and most of the complexity is hidden from the admin's duties.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Coming from a XenServer environment, I would like better integration of XenServer into the AOS and Prism Central.

budiezeddin
    Manager at PT. Metrodata Electronics Tbk.
    User
    They have one of the best technical supports in my experience

• "They have one of the best technical supports in my experience."
    • "Make it easier to manage."
    • "Reduce its power consumption."

What is our primary use case?

We love the idea of having one box capable of doing a lot of work.

How has it helped my organization?

With the whole rack becoming a 2U Box, we had a smaller data center footprint and power consumption. Compute and storage became one, so it became easier to manage. There was no need to worry about SLAs, as it had great resiliency

What is most valuable?

• Nutanix Distributed File System
    • Multi-hypervisor support
    • Erasure coding
    • Protection domain
    • Acropolis File Sharing
    • Acropolis Block Service
    • Strong support

What needs improvement?

Our challenge has been to simplify our data center, reduce OPEX, easily scale out, and improve agility. Here are some improvements that we would like to see:

• Reduce our data center footprint.
    • Reduce its power consumption.
    • Make it easier to manage.
    • Have an agile data center.

Power supply and memory will affect stability, same as any other hardware vendor.

Not at all. Scalability is within minutes.

They have one of the best technical supports in my experience.

Previously, we used three-tier architecture.

Initial setup is very straightforward.

We did the implementation in-house.

Estimated around four to five years, compared with three-tier deployment.

Work close with your InfraTeam and discuss with Nutanix the best way to achieve sizing and  price that are right for you.

Licensing depends on the features needed.

We evaluated HPE SimpliVity.

What other advice do I have?

Soon, it will be only software. Therefore, you can provide preferred hardware. You can inject it with Nutanix software as long as the hardware compatibility meets Nutanix requirements.

BL
    System Adminstrator at Twin Disc
    User
    It removes wait times in getting tasks done

• "Simplified management: It provides us more time to work on other tasks."

What is our primary use case?

We run our primary data center on Nutanix. We run an on-prem Exchange environment along with multiple application servers. We have about 200 VMs and about 20TB of raw storage on the appliance.

How has it helped my organization?

Simplified management: It provides us more time to work on other tasks. We were able to replace two SANs and two blade centers with a single 2U Nutanix appliance.

What is most valuable?

Simplified storage management. Therefore, we do not have to rely on others to manage storage, which removes wait times in getting tasks done.

What needs improvement?

Extra features should not be so expensive. We would love to be able to use or even just try some of the extra features without having to buy them. Buying those features is just as expensive as buying vSphere licenses, so the cost savings is nullified.

TS
      Sr. Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
      Takes up less space, easy to use

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is infrastructure consolidation and it has performed fine.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits are consolidation. That's always a benefit. I wouldn't say it has necessarily improved the way that the organization functions. It just takes up less space.

What is most valuable?

• Price
      • Ease of use

What needs improvement?

I don't have any requests for features. It does everything that I need it to do, and then some.

It's very stable.

I switched because I got tired of paying support renewals for three different companies.

My most important criteria when selecting a vendor are ease of use and price.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

I evaluated EMC as well. I went with Nutanix because of the price.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it a nine out of 10 because I think there is still room for improvement on the price.

My advice is to take your time and evaluate everything.

it_user545409
      Data Consultant at Neuberger
      User
      It has a simple setup, easy scalability, and good performance

• "Single click actions is definitely the most important. They were not even aware that they wanted this."
      • "Native File-Services are under heavy development and Container Services just came out."

What is our primary use case?

We use our cluster for three scenarios:

• Virtualized Infrastructure
      • Citrix 3D Terminal Services
      • Clustered File Server (Windows-based).

How has it helped my organization?

Any task with our servers which is painless because the system runs really fast.
      Our users are glad to be migrated to Citrix, although giving up the local admin rights there (yes, there are some local admin users still in place), because it performs so well.

What is most valuable?

• Single click actions is definitely the most important. They were not even aware that they wanted this.
      • Performance was the main point for buying it.
      • No virtualization-vendor lock-in is another main point.
      • But if you ever had good support, Nutanix Support will overwhelm.

What needs improvement?

There are various areas, but all points that I could mention are under development and get to you free of charge with another single-click cluster-upgrade.

To name some: Native File-Services are under heavy development and Container Services just came out.

No, also the system does daily self-checks and comes up with warnings. Support can fix this without system downtime. Over time you learn from support sessions to fix thngs yourself. The tool chest (already there inside the Controller-VM) is really impressive.

We had no requirements to scale it yet.

A 10 of 10. Simply that. Responsive, callbacks, top knowledge, easy escalation, and fast connection to development (during our PoC-phase I had a conference with developers in a few days).

Traditional storage on NetApp with ESX-Blades from Dell. We switched because of the simpler setup and easier scalability.

Initial setup was in a half workday. This means the first VM was up and running.
      And it would be half on hour without racking and cabling.

We had consultants to guard us through it although we could have done it ourselves. It is good to get things straight initially. Their expertise was well set.

We do not estimate numbers for administration, rack powerage, and such. We use IT to do our business, not vice versa. You get nowhere if you want to measure the street instead of driving on it. But I was quite firm with netapp and the blades and had no huge admin effort. The timely effort for nutanix is even less now.

Setup cost is minor, pricing is quite a bit (we have a 7-node-cluster for about 450K EUR with 2 vGPU-nodes for Citrix) but that includes hardware, software, and support. I would also license Prism Central in Pro Edition because you get capacity planning. This makes sense even for a single cluster setup.

We evaluated the successor models of our former systems. New NetApp Filers and new Blades, but the pricing was similar so we went with the better solution. We never used NetApp Vendor support (we did it ourselves with support from a netapp partner) and Dell Server support was poor (I can google manuals myself). Buying Nutanix includes superior support. You should call Nutanix support if you are doing a ProofofConcept!

What other advice do I have?

Always check compatibility matrix before you upgrade to get a clear view what comes after your upgrade. I recently found that AOS 5.1.4 and 5.1.5 will not let you upgrade to 5.5.x as of now see (https://portal.nutanix.com/#/p... Login Required). 5.6 is your upgrade path if you are on 5.1.4 or 5.1.5.

IT Infrastructure Manager at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
      We increased performance on our software platforms and databases drastically

What is our primary use case?

System stability and performance to ensure a 24/7 operation with fantastic pro-active support. The 1 to many solution will fulfil your DR requirements.

How has it helped my organization?

We increased stability and availability to 99.999%, and increased performance on our software platforms and databases drastically.

What is most valuable?

• Availability
      • Scalability
      • Performance
      • Redundancy
      • Excellent Monitoring and Admin Portal

What needs improvement?

There is a hard coded IP in the 192.168.5.x range which comes with Nutanix. This needs to be a variable, not hard coded, as this may clash with customers current IP range.

A nine out of 10.

A 10 out of 10.

Xen.

It was complex, as we needed to move from a Xen environment to Acropolis. The migration process was not easy.

We implemented through an in-house team and a vendor team. The vendor's expertise was a two out of 10.

This is still to be determined.

Even though Nutanix is expensive, it is well worth it!

Yes, we did look at your traditional hyper-converged solutions.

Chef du service informatique at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
      Simple to use and reduces management complexity

What is most valuable?

Simple to use Ergonomic

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to remove the following equipment from  our infrastructure:  EMC VNX5300 Cisco Switch FC FalconStor Cisco UCS Servers A lot of cabling  So in the end there is much less complexity to manage.

What needs improvement?

Snapshot Management needs improvement.

Ten months.

Very few, it has now been running for five to six months without any problems.

No issues.

Excellent, thiis the best area. Very efficient.

SAN, EMC…

What is most valuable?

• Simple to use
      • Ergonomic

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to remove the following equipment from  our infrastructure:

• EMC VNX5300
      • Cisco Switch FC
      • FalconStor
      • Cisco UCS Servers
      • A lot of cabling

So in the end there is much less complexity to manage.

What needs improvement?

Snapshot Management needs improvement.

Ten months.

Very few, it has now been running for five to six months without any problems.

No issues.

Excellent, thiis the best area. Very efficient.

SAN, EMC VNX5300, FalconStor, Switch Cisco FC and CISCO UCS Servers.

Simple move, two to three days max.

Needs to be negotiated.

HPE Simplivity.

What other advice do I have?

Using a hyperconverged system, network backbone, becomes more critical.

Director of IT at a hospitality company with 51-200 employees
      The ROI can be quickly realized for most organizations

What is most valuable?

Prism  One-Click

How has it helped my organization?

Now, we can worry less about the technology and focus on other business value initiatives.

What needs improvement?

A fantastic product that could spend a bit more time in QA between releases.

Five years.

None.

Compatibility issue with Nutanix and Zerto.

None.

Customer Service: 10 out of 10. Technical Support: 10 out of 10.

We switched from a legacy 3-2-1 solution to HCI…

What is most valuable?

• Prism
      • One-Click

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

A fantastic product that could spend a bit more time in QA between releases.

Five years.

None.

Compatibility issue with Nutanix and Zerto.

10 out of 10.

10 out of 10.

We switched from a legacy 3-2-1 solution to HCI due to its ease of use and scalability.

Very straightforward; no issues.

We implemented through a vendor team, although the setup was so easy that we could have handled the process in-house.

We have realized a 3:1 ROI.

The upfront cost can be higher than traditional solutions, but the ROI can be quickly realized for most organizations.

SimpliVity and Dell EqualLogic.

What other advice do I have?

A great product from a great company with world class support.

it_user756093
      IT Engineer

What is most valuable?

Nutanix Prism.

How has it helped my organization?

Nutanix provides the best migration to cloud platform. It has helped our company aggregate most of our workloads into a centralized platform improving the efficiency for the IT team and infrastructure resources. Throughout the journey, Nutanix provides the best support that we have ever had, from solution providers and vendors, adding big value to our operations and support our SLAs with our customers.

What needs improvement?

We have achieved great stability and scalability with Nutanix. We are currently running Hyper-V in Nutanix. After setting it up, we are very happy with the provisioning of new VMs as we do not need to worry about space requirements.

Three years.

Implementation was a breeze.

Initially, we had some issues with the deployment and it was resolved in future updates by the great technical support from Nutanix.

We have not faced any issues with scalability. It is one of the best features.

Not applicable.

Initial setup was little bit troublesome, but we received very good technical support from Nutanix

Not applicable.

It really is worth the price you spend.

Infrastructure Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It has reduced hours wasted on troubleshooting failed updates

What is most valuable?

Single pane of glass view for all components. Excellent after-sales support. Easy updates and upgrades.

How has it helped my organization?

Reduced hours wasted on troubleshooting failed updates.

What needs improvement?

Uptime HA Redundancy Disaster Recover (DR)

Three years.

None, except when they sent an engineer who was still new.

None.

None. It scales seemlessly. The hardest part is negotiating for the budget to do so.

Customer Service: The customer service is excellent. Technical…

What is most valuable?

• Single pane of glass view for all components.
      • Excellent after-sales support.
      • Easy updates and upgrades.

How has it helped my organization?

Reduced hours wasted on troubleshooting failed updates.

What needs improvement?

• Uptime
      • HA
      • Redundancy
      • Disaster Recover (DR)

Three years.

None, except when they sent an engineer who was still new.

None.

The customer service is excellent.

The technical support is excellent.

3-tier infrastructure. We switched due to the complexities of multiple vendors with multiple points to blame.

It was straightforward. We used their professional services to assist with the deployment.

We used both an in-house team and a vendor team.

Not applicable.

The after-sales support is amazing and worth investing in.

None.

What other advice do I have?

We have used Nutanix for three years now and have scaled and upgraded four clusters in that time with no issues.

Bryan Luers
      Systems Engineer at a tech services company
      Very easy to use and very reliable
      Nutanix has helped us with a system that has high performance in a small footprint. It has been very easy to use and is very reliable. Using AHV looks good, and is a much cheaper alternative to VMware. There were initially some setup complications with Nutanix on Dell hardware by not having Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) open locally on the network switches. The simple hour install was closer to a day, but the system has been solid since then.

it_user751839
      IT Engineer
      ​​Hyper-convergence makes the whole datacenter simpler

What is most valuable?

Hypervisor-agnostic: I can use a VMware or Hyper-V license, if I already have one. But if I use a similar solution as Nutanix Acropolis hypervisor (AHV) that comes embedded in a Nutanix solution, I can manage all my virtual environments with everything that I need without spend more money on licenses.

How has it helped my organization?

Hyper-convergence makes the whole datacenter simpler. I don’t need to manage servers, SAN, and storage as I used to, but instead, manage everything from one simple and complete dashboard. I can manage my resources to get any information I need to monitor and scale.

For the past three years.

Sometimes, I had to install it twice to place the solution. Errors in the middle of installation require you retry, then it goes well. Other than that, it is very simple and does not requires deep knowledge.

An eight out of 10.

We had very good technical support from Nutanix during the implementation and post implementation.

I worked with Dell EMC VxRail, but this product is tied with VMware ESXi which requires expensive licenses. It is also a great solution if you have already those licenses. VxRail has a limit in scalability (64) in the 3.5 version.

I know Nutanix and VxRail have similar prices and licenses. Nutanix is a go ahead if AHV is used as the hypervisor because it is already embedded in the price.

I have some customers who tried Cisco HyperFlex and HPE HC380 instead of VMware vSAN. None of these were so attractive as Nutanix when they compared hypervisor flexibility, scalability, and support.

IT Systems Technical Specialist at a government

What is most valuable?

Storage snapshots and replication One-Click upgrades

How has it helped my organization?

I can now do upgrades during work hours with One-Click upgrades. I click an upgrade and walk away. I have never had an issue.

What needs improvement?

Lowering the replication window.

Two years.

Deployment was less than half a day for eight nodes.

Yes, there was a bug with the new Intel chipset, but working with support, they quickly were able to issue an updated BIOS. Even with this issue, we had no downtime

None, scaling up is easy with Nutanix.

How

What is most valuable?

• Storage snapshots and replication
      • One-Click upgrades

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Lowering the replication window.

Two years.

Deployment was less than half a day for eight nodes.

None, scaling up is easy with Nutanix.

10 out of 10. We have been impressed with their level of service during any case we have had to open.

I have used UCS with NetApp in the past. Nutanix makes keeping things up-to-date much easier.

It is very straightforward, two clusters in four hours.

We used a vendor team. Even though it was their first deployment in production at the time, they were on point!

Pricing is above average, but it is worth it.

IBM, UCS, and NetApp.

Development Engineer at a university
      It's hyper-converged. Storage, compute, and network are all in a single dashboard.

What is most valuable?

• Overall performance of the platform
      • Scalability
      • Ease of implementation
      • Management GUI Prism

On storage side, these features are very useful:

• Deduplication
      • Compression
      • Erasure coding
      • Snapshots
      • Asynchronous replication.

The One-Click upgrades are awesome and work well.

The standardized system check using NCC (Nutanix Cluster Check) performs over 150 checks to determine potential issues.

AFS and ABS are just great!!

How has it helped my organization?

Green datacenter: Significant reduction in time provisioning as well as daily administration and management activities.

Hyper-converged: Storage, compute, and network are all in a single dashboard.

What needs improvement?

• More 10GB physical ports
      • CVM resource requirement/consumption

Four years.

Nutanix Professional Services personnel are awesome. They make deployment seem so easy.

Not yet.

Scalability is very flexible as far as a compute or storage need is concerned.

Customer service personnel are very knowledgeable and work real hard to determine the root cause and provide a permanent solution, not a band aid approach.

A nine out of a possible 10.

I switched from my previous solution to Nutanix, because this is my first hyper-converged solution.

Very straightforward.

We implemented through Nutanix Professional Services.

ROI was seen as soon as we went live with the system. it has lower hardware maintenance costs and less power consumption,

Pricing and licensing are definitely not cheap, but not bad either.

SimpliVity and FlashStack.

System Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees

• "Being able to upgrade our entire cluster with the click of a button during business hours with zero downtime has made managing our infrastructure so easy."
      • "Nutanix now supports four hypervisors but they are not all at feature parity."

How has it helped my organization?

Processes that used to take hours to complete have been drastically improved due to the nature of Nutanix. Data locality means things complete faster and our users now have more time to complete their work rather than having to wait for a certain job to finish before they can continue on.

What is most valuable?

• One-Click upgrades
      • Software defined storage
      • The capacity savings

One click upgrades are an absolute godsend. Being able to upgrade our entire cluster with the click of a button during business hours with zero downtime has made managing our infrastructure so easy. Previously, we had to schedule downtime to perform upgrades on our infrastructure and that quickly becomes painful and time consuming.

Because the entire Nutanix system is contained in a VM, we don't have to reboot physical hosts to apply patches. It's just a restart of a guest VM and we're off. This also brings amazing space saving capabilities (given that it's software-defined) across the hot and cold tiers by way of compression, deduplication, and erasure coding.

What needs improvement?

Given all the amazing features, there is room for improvement around the support ability of different hypervisors. Sure, Nutanix now supports four hypervisors but they are not all at feature parity. If you want all the benefits of Nutanix, you need to be on AHV. For some businesses, that's just not an option. I find we miss out on some of the great features due to being on ESX.

No issues at all with stability.

This is where my experience varies. Previously, I had deployed Nutanix with Dell hardware, and currently, I have deployed Nutanix on Nutanix hardware.

Customer support through Nutanix is excellent. Regardless of the level of priority, I usually hear back from Nutanix support in less than three hours from when I submit a support request.

With Dell kits, you have to call Dell support first who then liaise with Nutanix support. So, there is a bit of a breakdown and resolution that takes a little longer because you don't have direct access to Nutanix support.

Again, my experience varies.

Nutanix support, amazing. I can't fault them. They know the product and can resolve your issues fast.

Dell support, not as great. Mainly because they aren't Nutanix employees. It's because of this that they aren't as knowledgeable and have to hand off to Nutanix support for more complex issues.

In both organisations where I worked, which migrated to Nutanix, we were on traditional 3-tier architecture. We switched over to Nutanix for the ease of management, scalability, and performance gains. In both organisations, we were on aging hardware and it needed to be refreshed.

It is very straightforward. The deployment process is extremely easy thanks to the 'foundation' process. A simple WebUI that guides you through the deployment process and imaging of your new nodes.

Both implementations were done by me. With the ease of deployment, I didn't feel it necessary to engage a vendor.

I haven't calculated it yet.

While cost may seem higher than your traditional 3-tier architecture, you need to look at the bigger picture. You're not just buying hardware here. You're buying a complete environment that not only is super-fast to deploy, it's amazingly easy to manage. I find that I'm spending less time managing my infrastructure and more time listening to the businesses needs and tailoring our infrastructure to their needs.

We looked at SimpliVity and VMware vSAN.

Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Beautiful interface with full visibility into and management of my complete virtual infrastructure

What is most valuable?

The Nutanix Prism interface is the most beautiful interface I had ever used in any software. The simplicity and fluency of the HTML 5 interface gives a one-of-a-kind user experience. It provides full visibility into and management of my complete virtual infrastructure. The integration to VMware vCenter gives added value, so you don't have to rely on different interfaces for basic VM management.

How has it helped my organization?

As I have been using Nutanix since 2014, I have seen approximately five major release versions. Each release provided improvements in performance and new features enhancements. The best part of it is that you just update to get the new features and improvements.

What needs improvement?

I would definitely love to see single and two-node cluster setup, as well native network virtualization/micro-segmentation capabilities. These are already announced features and much anticipated. I would also love to get application visibility within the Prism management console with more RBAC capabilities.

Since July, 2014.

So far I have not faced any major issues with stability of the Nutanix platform.

Although I have not scaled my current cluster, as it is enough for my company, as Systems Integrators we have implemented dozens of clusters and scaled without any issues.

One of the best things about Nutanix as a company is it's best of class support. The support model has no support levels and the assigned engineer is an expert not only in Nutanix, but in hypervisors and other components as well. They are correctly called Systems Reliability Engineers (SRE), and deserve an NPS of 90-plus.

Yes, we were using traditional server plus storage infrastructure. As we partnered with Nutanix we decided to evaluate it ourselves before we recommended it to our customers. And it’s worth it.

Foundation of the system initialization is provided by Nutanix. They take care of the complete installation and initial configuration, while you take a sip of coffee.

Although Nutanix cannot be compared directly with any other products on market, it’s worth every penny spent. Most of the features are available in the starter version, and the license can be easily upgraded to activate or deactivate more advanced features without any downtime, cluster evacuation, or rebuild.

Yes, we evaluated a few other hyper-converged platforms, but Nutanix was the obvious choice because of its software-only structure with no dependence on hardware components.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend considering Nutanix for any kind of workload, whether VDI, server virtualization, databases, Exchange or Big Data. I will say Nutanix gives system administrators their lives back; no weekend upgrades or issues. The one-click feature is truly a single-click for any upgrade, including Nutanix AOS, hypervisor, firmware, etc.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Elite partners, as well as consulting partners.
      it_user630414
      Technical director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
      ​Hyper-convergence Makes The Whole Datacenter Simpler

• "I can use VMware or Hyper-V license, if I already have. But if I use a similar solution as Nutanix Acropolis hypervisor (AHV) that comes embedded in Nutanix solution, I can manage all my virtual environments with everything I need without spend more money on licenses."
      • "AHV is a great hypervisor but still limited compared to VMware. AHV is the one product they must improve."

How has it helped my organization?

Hyper-convergence makes the whole datacenter simpler. I don’t need anymore to manage servers, SAN, and storage as I used to, but instead, manage everything from one simple and complete dashboard. I can manage my resources to I get any information I need to monitor and scale.

What is most valuable?

Hypervisor agnostic. I can use VMware or Hyper-V license, if I already have. But if I use a similar solution as Nutanix Acropolis hypervisor (AHV) that comes embedded in Nutanix solution, I can manage all my virtual environments with everything I need without spending more money on licenses.

What needs improvement?

I’ve implemented and operated Nutanix in several different situations. Never had an issue in all those cases.

I’ve just scaled such a solution twice and never had a problem. Sometimes I don’t find the new appliances through the web console, but I use CLI for that situation without a problem.

Never used it before.

I work either with Dell EMC VxRail, but this product is tied with VMware ESXi which requires expensive licenses. It is also a great solution if you have already those licenses. VxRail has a limit in scalability (64) in the 3.5 version.

Sometimes I had to install it twice to put on the solution. Errors in the middle of installation require you retry, then it goes well. Other than that, it is very simple and does not requires deep knowledge.

I know Nutanix and VxRail have similar prices and licenses. Nutanix is a go-ahead if AHV is used as hypervisor because it is already embedded in the price.

I have some customers who tried Cisco HyperFlex and HPE HC380 besides VMware vSAN. None of these were so attractive as Nutanix when they compared hypervisor flexibility, scalability, and support.

What other advice do I have?

Nutanix is the first and the biggest hyper-convergence company in the world. VxRail is also a great solution as well as HPE SimpliVity, but regarding to scalability and TCO, I think Nutanix is unbeatable at this moment.

Regarding Dell EMC having a main hyper-convergence solution VCE as VxRail, Nutanix is the best seller.

Cyber Security Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      It is now our single most powerful server that is easily scalable and has an HTML5 site that manages all aspects of the system.

• "Hyper-convergence is the most valuable feature for me as it allows me to scale the hardware according to project requirements."
      • "It would be great if it could emulate some of the features that their competitor VMware has, for example port mirroring or Netflow output at hypervisor level."

What needs improvement?

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability except for cost and feature requests.

Local support has been wonderful so far in my case, but I didn't have many support requirements for my projects.

I was using a standard server infrastructure previously and found an offer for Nutanix so we switched.

The setup was handled by our local IT vendor hence you can say it's convenient.
      However I was there to observe how it was done and I can say that you need network experience to link the hardware together as the nodes inside the hardware communicate using TCP/IP.

The software is set up on the get-go (off-the-shelf) but due to my project requirements I have to customize the software, hence the complexity.

If you're willing to spend on hyper-convergence technologies be prepared to pay more and be locked down to a specific hardware vendor.

The basic license that comes with the box allows basic virtualization features but advanced automation features would require an upgrade of licenses.

Before the purchase we were evaluating VMware only.

What other advice do I have?

Please be prepared to be locked down on the hardware.

KamalarajanS
      Enterprise Systems & IT Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      Has a compact size that reduces the HW/Datacenter footprint.

• "Management is simple"
      • "The product needs improvement in the areas of SAN attachment for high capacity and high I/O profile workloads."

How has it helped my organization?

There was a 30% reduction in CAPEX spending when we moved towards the Nutanix platform and we had a high ROI.

What is most valuable?

• Management is simple
      • There is easy configuration
      • The solution is scalable
      • The product has a compact size that greatly reduces the HW/Datacenter footprint.

What needs improvement?

I have not yet encountered any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

The technical team was instrumental in resolving issues to our satisfaction.

We did not previously use a different solution on the hyper-converged platform. Apart from this solution, we converged infrastructures from EMC/HDS vendors.

The initial setup was very easy.

Pricing and licensing are easy if:

• You know which solution you are choosing the product for
      • You provide the correct sizing

I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this product for its easy implementation and its elimination of the silo approach.

We have a bunch of data warehousing servers that we have planned to migrate to the Nutanix environment, but the limitation is on the amount of capacity that is currently in the DW environment and its all traditional SAN attached. We couldn’t put the amount of data that is currently in our existing production (instead need to rework on the 10G copper connections with additional funding). That is the huge drawback, considering the infrastructure we have.

Most of the authentication processors/servers have a minimum transaction of 15k requests per second. For these types of workloads, we realized the solution doesn’t seem to fit well, leaving many of the requests either being dropped or transmission lost.

it_user692274
      IT Infrastructure Architect at a wellness & fitness company with 501-1,000 employees
      Valuable features include one-click upgrade and data locality.

• "Data locality provides super-fast data access and ultra-low latency."
      • "To receive a performance enhancement by merely clicking the one button upgrade is the true value of the platform and what I look forward to the most."

How has it helped my organization?

Our 125 seat VDI implementation went from barely usable, to a good alternative, to desktops. The performance of our server apps has never been better.

What is most valuable?

One-click upgrade and data locality are valuable features. The one-click upgrade provides simple management and upgrades. Data locality provides super-fast data access and ultra-low latency.

What needs improvement?

The focus on performance improvements over new features is more important to me. It is always fun to play with new buttons in the platform.

In reality, it is hard for me to find flaws in this platform because it is without comparing. For me, the fact that I run all of my workloads on Nutanix, which is a software defined datacenter platform, the biggest advantage for me is performance increases with updates. I was once asked what does "Software Defined" mean to me. My response was "a platform that allows for your next feature or performance upgrade to be as easy as a software patch or update."

To receive a performance enhancement by merely clicking the one button upgrade is the true value of the platform and what I look forward to the most. I do understand that new features provide the wow in the platform and I completely understand this value. However, for a datacenter admin, performance increases without cost, and sometimes unexpectedly delivered, is real wow.

There have been no stability issues so far.

There were no issues with scalability. It's built for scale.

Nutanix support is second to none. There has never been an issue when interacting with them.

We previously used Vblock, a converged solution. We switched for many reasons. Footprint, power, cooling, savings, and support time.

I did the setup myself in less than 45 minutes from box to data.

You get what you pay for here.

We evaluated VMware VXRail/Rack and SimpliVity. We did PoCs. The hands-down winner was Nutanix!

What other advice do I have?

Do a PoC and judge for yourself. It costs nothing but time.

it_user692310
        System Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
        It is easy to manage, is based on HTML5, and all CVMs are able to assume the management role.

What is most valuable?

The Prism interface is valuable. It is very easy to manage, is based on HTML5, and all CVMs are able to assume the management role. They are not the SPOF.

How has it helped my organization?

Nutanix makes it easier for us to grow as the organization needs more resources. We can add more blocks and nodes in a granular way. This is unlike a traditional infrastructure that is initially invested in for four or five years.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see asynchronous replication in less than 60 minutes, or even in 15 minutes. I understand that they are working to lower replication times to one minute or less.

We have used this solution for two years.

There have been no stability issues.

There have been no scalability issues. On the contrary, it is easy to scale and approve new resources.

Technical support is fast, in our language, very efficient, and they have a great level of technical knowledge.

We used VMware vSAN. I did not change solutions for anything in particular. It was a decision of the organization, based on a corporate strategy.

The setup was very simple. It was simpler than any other solution.

If we compare prices with a three-tier environment, servers, and storage plus virtualization and licenses of VMware or Hyper-V, Nutanix has its own free hypervisor. It also natively incorporates backup and disaster recovery solution for free.

We evaluated VMware vSAN and HPE VSA.

What other advice do I have?

Nutanix is a converged system with web-scale technology. The technology is invisible to the IT department. You can focus on your business, instead of making IT a problem in your organization.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are partners and we sell and implement this solution to our customers.
        it_user692268
        Systems Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
        Scalability is the most valuable feature. It is easy to scale-up and scale-out without impact on performance.

What is most valuable?

Scalability is the most valuable feature because it is easy to scale-up and scale-out without impact in performance since it is always online.

How has it helped my organization?

Improves the management of our virtual infrastructure in a unified point and with unified support team.

What needs improvement?

Cloud integration, automation and orchestration need improvement.

I have used Nutanix for six months.

We have not had any stability issues.

We have not had any scalability issues.

I rate support 8/10.

I didn’t have a previous solution. I tested different solutions for my customers, such as Nutanix, VSAN, HPE VSA, etc, and evaluated them, but the solutions are for my customers. Also, I test all solutions in our infrastructure.

Setup was very easy. With a few steps and a nice wizard, you have your infrastructure up.

Is not a cheap solution, compare with competitors, but you must consider all variables in the environment to calculate the TCO. You have pre-sales tool Nutanix Sizer to calculate the TCO.

I looked at VMware vSAN, and HPE VSA.

What other advice do I have?

Use the sizing tools in order to design the infrastructure properly.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Nutanix Partner/Reseller.
        it_user692262
        Ingegnere it senior at a tech services company
        ​The solution's performances and high density was most valuable.

What is most valuable?

The solution's performance and high density are most valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

It was a PoC, so we did not test it in a production system. Rather, we prepared a near identical environment and compared its performance to the customer's old SAN solution (NetApp Fas 3220 with full magnetic disks). This comparison showed us how far this technology went: same storage of the half rack old system and many times faster in response.

What needs improvement?

The hybrid solution we tested showed a big performance reduction after intensive work on the system, due to the caching mechanism that fills the SSDs (typical of low level Hyperconverged appliances).

We used this solution for three months.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We have not had the opportunity to test its scalability.

We did not test the technical support in a real situation, but only to ask some configuration questions without an SLA.

That was the first Hyperconverged system we tested, so we did not switch to this solution from a different solution.

Setup was simple, but we did not prepared the appliance (it was configured by our partner).

Licensing is good if you choose to use the proprietary OS (which is free).
        Pricing is good if your enviroment can take advantage of the Hyperconvergence paradigm.

We did not evaluate other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Hyperconvergence gives a faster implementation than the "standard" solutions, and a high density architecture.

Others should see if their requirements can be fulfilled by this technology. I think it is good in enviroments like business intelligence (data mining and big data analytics).

Oshri Sharon
        CEO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
        Valuable features include a service portal and self-service restore.

What is most valuable?

• Service portal
        • Self-service restore
        • Single pane of glass for management.

We are a Managed Service Provider and these capabilities make our platform agile and easy to use for our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

• Less IT admin
        • More performance
        • More resiliency
        • More protection of data (lots of storage SnapShots with no performance impact)

What needs improvement?

In order to replace massively Install base of VMware vSphere, they need to expand their ecosystem with ISVs (i.e. F5, PaloAlto, Citrix, TrendMicro etc.) in order to provide a wider range of solutions running as a virtual appliance (vApp), just like VMware did years ago. There is currently an ecosystem, but I think it is around 30-40 providers.

So they should expand the eco-system for Virtual Appliances with Acropolis. Network Segmentation is also a must with AHV.

We have used the solution for about 18 months.

We have not encountered any issues with stability.

We have not encountered any issues with scalability.

Technical support is the best.

We previously used legacy infrastructures: EMC, NetApp, and IBM.

The initial setup takes about one hour and then you are done.

I don't have anything special to advise about licensing and pricing.

We evaluated VMware vSAN.

What other advice do I have?

Don't be afraid of Acropolis Hypervisor. It is stable and powerful, just as vSphere is.

It has built-in advanced analytics and powerful operations, Self Service Portal and components for DevOps included, managed by a single pane of glass (Prism) via HTML5 and it is free of charge – This is why Nutanix is so advanced and revolutionary.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: As a Managed Service Provider, we have a strong partnership with Nutanix on our platform for evaluation and testing new software releases.
        it_user653052
        User at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
        Provides data protection in various flavours.

What is most valuable?

Data protection in its various flavours. Overall performance of the platform. Scalability. Ease of implementation. Great GUI.

How has it helped my organization?

We can test even the most storage-performance-hungry workloads on our Nutanix blocks.

What needs improvement?

Pricing transparency: Software and hardware should be separate items.

I have used it for 12 months.

We have not encountered any deployment issues.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

How are customer service and

What is most valuable?

• Data protection in its various flavours.
        • Overall performance of the platform.
        • Scalability.
        • Ease of implementation.
        • Great GUI.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Pricing transparency: Software and hardware should be separate items.

I have used it for 12 months.

We have not encountered any deployment issues.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer service is a perfect 10.

Technical support is a perfect 10.

We currently use several HCI solutions.

Initial setup was straightforward.

An in-house team implemented it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're a partner for Nutanix.
        DJ
        System Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        We can deploy VM as a service and perform updates on the nodes without downtime.

What is most valuable?

The consolidated storage: no need to use central storage that has a performance penalty. For example, while using central storage that enables file-sharing NAS services & SAN services, when one VM had an IO overload, all the VMs in the same data store in the VMware environment on the same LUN suffered from I/O latency. Now, in the new consolidated storage, this does not happen.

How has it helped my organization?

We can deploy VM as a service & we can perform updates on the nodes without downtime in a very simple, direct way.

What needs improvement?

The improvement needed is for elastic clusters, meaning the ability to depart and join nodes in an automatic way. We have a laboratory that needs to perform bare metal tests and therefore needs to unjoin the nodes from the cluster and later on join them back.

I have used it for two years.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues, but we are about to add another node to the cluster and it should be a very simple task .

Technical support is very good, and good with responsive time.

We were using central storage and suffered from bad performance latency.

Initial setup was straightforward.

At the time we checked, this solution was unique.

What other advice do I have?

Perform resizing. Check the needs and deploy only what is needed. Check the memory DIMMs and make sure for the price you get, you have free DIMMs.

We Added a dedicated switch for this cluster so that all layer 2 networking will be in this switch and separate from the main routers.

Infrastructure Program Manager at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        The most valuable features are the speed of acquisition and the ease of deployment.

• "Ease of deployment"
        • "Benchmark testing indicated that workloads did slightly better on our Vblock by a few percentage"

How has it helped my organization?

Our company was in a high growth period, tripling in size within 30 months. Our demand was outstripping our ability to provide additional capacity.

With traditional converged infrastructure (Vblock), the length of our acquisition cycle (analyze, predict, design, justify, procure, manufacture, deliver, install, configure, and provision) was in excess of six months.

We were able to respond to demand more quickly and with less hysteria with Nutanix.

When I left the company, we had decided to use Nutanix to build out our non-production development environment and use the Vblocks only for production and bare metal.

What is most valuable?

• Speed of acquisition and ease of deployment
        • Shorter timeline from PO, to delivery, to operation than converged infrastructure solutions like Vblock
        • Able to grow with smaller, more linear increments of investment

What needs improvement?

Performance was not bad, but it could be better. I never fielded complaints from developers or users, but benchmark testing indicated that workloads did slightly better on our Vblock by a few percentage points.

This wasn’t a major concern, as our stated use case for Nutanix was purely non-production.

We did not encounter any significant stability issues that I was aware of at my level.

It scales nicely if your workloads are predictable and you build for the right mix of storage and compute.

I had no complaints from my engineers with regard to the technical support.

We previously used Vblocks for nearly everything, production and non-production, and we were in a high growth phase.

The large incremental purchase cycles of Vblocks in terms of cost and lead time were causing significant distress.

We had also struggled through some difficult RCM upgrades on the Vblocks. Nutanix was just so much easier to manage and deploy.

We were in the process of migrating non-production to Nutanix and keeping only production on the Vblocks when I left the company in early 2016.

My engineers raved about the ease of setup and configuration, especially when compared to a Vblock.

I wasn’t directly involved in the original purchase. My initial reaction was that we either overpaid or Nutanix was overpriced.

But our experience with the product was very positive and subsequent pricing from the VAR seemed more reasonable. Competition is a good thing.

The team that did the evaluation was not my team so I can’t speak about the specifics. I know they looked at SympliVity as well and there was some lively discussion around the merits of both products.

What other advice do I have?

The market for hyper-converged is competitive and rapidly changing. Take a look around.

it_user511536
        Sales Engineer at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Prism and Clustering are valuable features. I would like to see more development on DRC solutions embedded in Acropolis.

What is most valuable?

Prism and Clustering.

How has it helped my organization?

It can help my customers achieve their business goals in the simplest way. It’s simple and reliable.

What needs improvement?

Nutanix needs more development on DRC solutions embedded in Acropolis.

We have used this solution for five or six months.

For now, it is stable enough.

The scalability is great and simple.

Technical support is good.

The installation was straightforward.

Pricing and licensing…

What is most valuable?

Prism and Clustering.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Nutanix needs more development on DRC solutions embedded in Acropolis.

We have used this solution for five or six months.

For now, it is stable enough.

The scalability is great and simple.

Technical support is good.

The installation was straightforward.

Pricing and licensing are good.

We have tried VMware solutions: vSphere, vCenter, vSOM, and SRM.

it_user478728
        AGM IT Delivery at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Centralized management helps you monitor storage and compute resources at the cluster and VM level in a single plane.

What is most valuable?

• Compression, deduplication, and erasure coding
        • Central management using prism
        • Capacity management and planning using prism central
        • One click upgrade to the Nutanix OS as well as for hypervisor
        • Easily scalable with no downtime
        • Provides WAN optimization for replication to remote sites

How has it helped my organization?

• Centralized monitoring of infrastructure
        • Easy and quick deployment of VMs
        • Single SME for all domains like storage, OS, and hypervisor
        • Compression deduplication and erasure coding have improved storage usage by almost three times
        • Protection domain allows you to compress data and transfer over WAN and helps you to move a VM to DR with a single click
        • Centralized management helps you monitor storage and compute resources at the cluster and VM level in a single plane

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements in monitoring parameters, RTO, and access control. Currently, memory utilization does not show as per the actual. This is in pipeline for the next release. The current RPO for DC-DR is high due to the limitation of the replication strategy which will be fixed by next quarter.

We have used this solution for three months.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

As of now, we haven’t required support, but it is good.

The installation is simple. You can more or less plug and play.

Depends upon what OEM you factor for hardware and the relationship between them. The software license seems to be pretty simple.

We evaluated Cisco HyperFlex and SimpliVity.

What other advice do I have?

You can have optimal results from ROI and the infrastructure deployment perspective if the solution is designed properly. I would suggest that you spell out your requirements clearly before Nutanix starts building the solution.

Unix Systems and Storage Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Provides redundancy, storage with compression, deduplication, and erasure coding.

What is most valuable?

Nutanix provides an all-in-one solution for operating our datacenter. Nutanix also provides out-of-the-box redundancy, built in storage savings with compression, deduplication, and erasure coding. All administrative functions are clustered and require no other hardware or software.

How has it helped my organization?

Nutanix provides a more agile platform with the ability to spin up and down various workloads on demand, provision developer workstations from a master copy, and protect production workloads with built-in DR sync. Incremental capacity growth helps with budgeting issues as we only buy what we need, when we need it.

What needs improvement?

There is always room for improvement. One area Nutanix can improve on is DevOps automation. While there is some built-in capability via REST service exposure, a more robust automation controller would be welcome. The recent purchase of Calm.io seems to be a step in this direction.

We have been using Nutanix for just over three years.

We are three years into running Nutanix with zero downtime issues. We have replaced one disk.

Scalability is simple and linear with Nutanix. We have expanded our clusters with additional nodes, and each node provides both capacity and performance. We have also added an all flash cluster to run our heavy I/O workloads.

The initial deployment with Nutanix was quite simple. You just provide IP addresses, pick your virtualization platform (VMWare, Hyper-V, Acropolis) and in about an hour, you have a cluster online and ready to deploy workloads.

I would advise new customers to work with their local reseller and local Nutanix representative and negotiate the best deal they can. I think it helps to keep in mind not only the tangible benefits, but also the intangible benefits. The initial cost can appear to be steep, but when you consider the advantages to IT agility and simplicity, it begins to make more sense.

Before choosing Nutanix, we had looked at a few different options. Option one was to expand current SAN/Servers. We looked at a few others in the early days of “hyper-convergence” such as SimpliVity, Scale Computing, Maxta and Pivot3. The only vendor with a complete solution in our minds was Nutanix.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise anyone looking for a complete in-house, cloud-like solution to consider Nutanix a prime player. The technology is solid, and the support (both sales and technical) are top line.

Prospective customers should use Nutanix sales and technical engineers to get a complete understanding of the product. I personally don’t see a lot of benefit for PoCs. The concept has already been fairly well proven in the IT industry.

it_user343836
        Chief Technology Officer at PBG Networks
        Supporting more than one hypervisor allowed us to test different scenarios and didn’t lock us into one option.

What is most valuable?

• Small footprint: Our datacenter was already pretty full and we would have had to increase its size and add more electrical and cooling. None of that had to be done when we went to Nutanix. We now increase the capacity of our datacenter without having to add more square footage, while increasing its horsepower, allowing us to run more servers utilizing less space than before.
        • High performance
        • Many hypervisors supported: Supporting more than one hypervisor allowed us to test different scenarios and didn’t lock us into just one option, like VMware.
        • Has its own Hypervisor Acropolis

How has it helped my organization?

We condensed four racks of physical servers into one rack taking up 2U of space.

What needs improvement?

It has the ability to connect to Azure or AWS for storing backups. I would like to have the capability to spin up a backup on Azure or AWS for disaster recovery purposes.
        Right now, you can only send a backup to either Azure or AWS. We would like to take a backup and spin it up to an actual server that could be connected to by users from the outside. This is on their (Nutanix) roadmap but the functionality doesn’t exist at this time.

I have used it for five years.

NO issues with stability; had a few minor software bugs that were more annoying, but not disruptive.

We have not encountered any scalability issues. To date, I believe the biggest customer has 1000 nodes.

Support is fantastic and they will even help with issues related to VMware if that is the hypervisor you are running.

We switched from traditional SAN and servers because we needed a smaller footprint while dramatically increasing performance and scalability.

Five years ago, the setup was complex (everything was more manual, like upgrading the operating system), but today a large part is automated; for example, the OS upgrade is now a one-click upgrade.

Make sure you know what features you want, as they have three software licensing editions: Starter, Pro and Ultimate (https://www.nutanix.com/products/software-editions/).

Before choosing this product, we also evaluated Simplivity, Stormagic SvSAN, and VMware VSAN.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you find a good partner who has extensive experience with this. Also, if you are just doing server virtualization, then evaluate their free Hypervisor Acropolis and you can save quite a bit on not having to buy VMware.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We liked it so much we became a partner and now sell it to our clients.
        Technical Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It provides auto- and self-healing features. No scalability issues.

What is most valuable?

• One-click updates
        • Auto-/self-healing

How has it helped my organization?

We had a real disaster back in 2014. Our customer data centre was hit by a flood that was about two meters. When the water level approached the data centre, we triggered the DR features. Once DR completely had taken place, we unmounted the production unit from the rack server and kept the 2U unit in a safe place.

What needs improvement?

They need to add features for software-defined networking and network security. The multi-tenant features need to add charge back/metering.

I have been using it since 2013.

We are currently maintaining Nutanix 2 cluster NX3350, 1 cluster 2 NX6235, 1 cluster NX 1460 and NX 3450; NOS Version 4.3 and AOS 4.6.

We encountered stability issues during NOS 3.0, but it was not a big issue as we get support from Nutanix.

Technical support is 10/10.

I previously used a three-tier design for virtualization. Managing three types of hardware vendors (server, SAN switch & SAN Storage) is troublesome.

Initial setup was complex. Our costumer has multiple clusters for production, development & testing. Each of them were use a different network segment. They also use multitenancy features to serve other departments.

Nutanix licensing and pricing is premium compared to other hyperconverged infrastructure vendors.

Before choosing this product, we evaluated VMware vSAN.

What other advice do I have?

Leveraging the Nutanix Acropolis would save on hypervisor licensing.

With Nutanix, you can't mix up the OEM hardware with other vendors such as Dell or Lenovo. There are more issues on the commercial side. When it comes to support, a mixed cluster will create haywire between those hardware vendors.

My rating reflects comparing the experience of managing a three-tier architecture for visualization with a hyperconverged solution.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Nutanix partner.
        FH
        IT Admin at Felda Prodata Systems Sdn Bhd
        You can ask for a loaner unit to verify performance and match it to your requirements.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are Prism and Acropolis, as they simplified our jobs and give us the opportunity to lower operational costs without reducing the current day-to-day operation performance.

We are using VMware 3-TIER architecture since 2006. Up until this day we’re still using the architecture until we could not expand the cluster anymore. Thus, we need to find a way to migrate our VM servers before it’s too late. The architecture using old traditional SANS storage and AMD processors platform. We’re stuck with VMware version 5.1 and can’t be upgrade to latest version due to the hardware limitation. Maintaining this architecture is not cheap also, as we need to pay annual maintenance to hardware vendors and VMware. It keeps increasing every year.

Our customers demand more processing power and more storage, and then we came across Nutanix, which could solve all burden that we have.

1. We hosting a lot of SAP wintel apps, and this kind of apps is storage and processor hungry. We keep facing downtime when we hosting the VM servers on our old architecture. When we decide to migrate the VM servers to Nutanix , we no longer facing the issue and no more complaint from our customers.

2. The maintenance contract is lower compared to annual maintenance/support contract that we must pay to VMware and hardware vendors. We will get the ROI back in short time if we move to Nutanix.

3. Can be manage through one single console (PRISM) oppose to SAN switches , SAN , VMware , Hardware consoles on old architecture.

4. We experienced a nightmare in term of support on old architecture, where we need to gather VMware engineer and Hardware vendor to solve an issue, and it takes a long time to solve. Nutanix assure us that they can solve Hypervisor and hardware issues within a single call log.

5. Nutanix offer features like data deduplication on its storage, which are not available on our old SANS storage.

6. We hosted our DC on 3rd party DC (leasing based on square feet), we can decom a lot of old servers (which can fill up the space and increase the rental) when we moved to Nutanix. 3 racks of old servers with SAN storage can be consolidate to one rack (still have a lot of spaces to put Nutanix boxes).

How has it helped my organization?

As opposed to before, the Nutanix platform allows us to pay as we grow instead starting with a large scale. Management seems to like this idea, as it will save us from overspending the budget. We can improve IT utilization and reduce costs by consolidating application infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

We're thinking about hosting SAP HANA on the Nutanix platform, but we are still unsure about the path as SAP still has not certified Nutanix to host SAP HANA yet. Nutanix should make SAP a close partner and certify their product with SAP so that the consumer has a choice to migrate their existing platform to Nutanix platform.

As far as I'm concerned, and we already ran the test on an actual Nutanix box, Nutanix can host the HANA without issue. However, without certification from SAP, it looks like we don’t have a guarantee from SAP itself. That will cause us to question whether we should go with the Nutanix platform.

I have been using it for about five months, and we just got approval from our management to expand the cluster and buy additional hardware from Nutanix.

So far, the operation has gone smoothly without any big issues, although there was a small bug when we tried the one-click update to upgrade all nodes’ firmware. Some nodes did not finish the update. We are resolving it with Nutanix support, so it's fine. It did not impact system uptime.

I have not encountered any scalability issues at all. We can easily scale this platform as we need.

Technical support is 9/10; only one call to local support and then if it hasn’t been resolved, a Nutanix engineer will help to resolve either hardware or hypervisor issues. It gives us really good assurance and we can sleep peacefully at night.

Previously, we used three-tier architecture, which has lots of points for failure and a lot of consoles need to be attended. It's so tiring and most of the time, we are firefighting to make sure the operation can continue as business as usual. It required a lot of skills and a large sum of money to maintain and to scale, which were painful for us.

Initial setup was straightforward. It takes only one day or less to build up the cluster and provision the virtual machines.

The pricing is good for us and just what we are looking for. We can cut off the VMware license and maintenance support, and migrate to Acropolis instead.

We evaluated SimpliVity and HPE solutions. Both failed us in term of economical cost and did not offer features that Nutanix has.

What other advice do I have?

You have an option to start small instead of going big at first, which will capitalize your budget. You can ask for a loaner unit from Nutanix to play with; to check and verify their performance and match it to your requirements.

Nutanix treats us well. We can say we are happy with the Nutanix offering.

Systems Administrator at CityServiceValcon
        I can do hypervisor upgrades on all my hosts with a click of a button while in production. Site-to-site replication needs some work.

How has it helped my organization?

The simplicity Prism/AHV delivers over other hypervisor solutions has dramatically alleviated the workload of our IT department without taking away granular features.

What is most valuable?

The level of statistical performance data it is able to report in real time is extremely useful. I can see what my VM’s hosts and guests are doing form a single pane of glass and identify issues before they would otherwise become apparent.

What needs improvement?

Site-to-site replication needs some work. It’s not as feature rich for a disaster recovery implementation as I would like to see, but my understanding is that it is slated for improvement in near-future releases. DRS-like functionality is also a much-desired feature that is also slated for future release. Third-party solutions are also few and far between as of right now since Nutanix is so new. In regards to third-party backup solutions, your only agentless option is Commvault, which is expensive, complex and requires intensive vendor training. We opted to use the built-in snapshot replication options to Azure.

This is so dramatically more stable than other hypervisor solutions I have used its almost hard to believe. I can do hypervisor upgrades on all my hosts with a click of a button while in production. No need to move or shut down guests or take hosts out of production, or plan off-hours maintenance windows. I don’t need to seek out updates or go extended periods of time because of a lack of awareness of updates. It’s literally as easy as you’d hope for or expect to have… probably more so.

Scalability is a non-issue, especially if you have Prism Central Pro. The only scale issue we ran into was right-sizing the environment we purchased for our existing needs. We over purchase by quite a lot only because we had no way to measure the deduplication and compression savings until the data was actually imported into the system. The storage savings we received from these features was substantial. We got better than a 2.5:1 ratio on compression, which took our storage usage from 12TB down to about 4TB.

Prism Central Pro has a feature called capacity runway that can estimate your growth and inform you when you will need to expand your cluster and even recommend the appropriate node to expand into based on your usage in real time. You can plan your next upgrade 6+ months out with high confidence you’re not over doing it, jumping the gun or purchasing too late and causing your environment to suffer performance issues.

The technical support is pretty stellar. Even when you get a tech that isn’t quite on par, it’s easy to get them back on track or escalate the case yourself with a click of a button, not that you really ever have to that often. The response time is very fast. The language barriers are almost nonexistent, and most issues can be resolved the same day with a couple emails and minimal effort. Most of the time, I just inform support that I have opened the support portal and they login and fix the issue without ever needing to try to make our schedules work together, and the next corresponsive is that its fixed already.

We are currently in the process of switching to AHV from ESXi. We felt the Nutanix solution was significantly easier to manage, has all the features we need, and comparable features to ESX already either exist or are on their way in the near future. We believe that the solution Nutanix offers is the way the market will continue to trend in the future. Finally, going with AHV cuts out ridiculously overpriced costs of ESXi. We were looking at over $100k in licensing with ESXi alone for what AHV will supply us for free.

Initial setup was easy. We could have set it up ourselves; however, Nutanix flew a technician out to use to set up the environment for us. All we had to do was mount our ESXi data pool on Nutanix and vmotion the VMs over to Nutanix, and we were up and running on the new cluster in under a week.

I would encourage you to heed the advice of your rep on what to purchase with one exception: Make sure the hardware you’re purchasing is the latest generation of hardware available. Also, Prism Central Pro is worth spending a few extra bucks. I’d also take into consideration that since Nutanix is fairly new, not all ESX-comparable features exist yet, but don’t let that discourage you away from Acropolis, as their development team is top notch and moving fast… the features are coming. If you must have ESX, it runs fantastically on Nutanix, but you’re probably spending more than you need to on licensing it over just using Acropolis and being patient. You’re also taking away many of the feature that simplify your environment by passing up Acropolis.

We spent a substantial amount of time evaluating many other options, including VxRail, EqualLogic and Compellent, the Dell M series blade chassis, NetShelter, Cisco UCS, as well as SimpliVity. Plus we evaluated Nimble vs Nutanix.

What other advice do I have?

Do not dismiss Nutanix too hastily over one little feature or another. They are coming, and it is worth your patience. The value brought in simplicity, support and time savings is worth a good hard look. Also, consider purchasing Turbonomic with or before Nutanix. They pair and play well together. Prepping my environment with Turbonomic before migrating made the transition much faster and easier by right-sizing my VMs and it continues to offer great features in my new environment. If you do, make sure they know you intend to move to Nutanix to ensure you license the proper features.

it_user504840
        Senior System Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
        One GUI for everything: for my VMs, my storage and my network.

• "Scaling is very easy and no limitations are set."
        • "The file services that they also provide need some more features, like on the Windows file server."

How has it helped my organization?

The three-tier architecture is not that flexible and quick. Now, I can update or upgrade my whole datacenter with one click, the rest is done by Nutanix. No more reading and studying the HCL lists of controllers or disks. Each performance test with SQL, Exchange, Oracle, or SAP is better than on a three-tier architecture. I have one GUI for everything: for my VMs, my storage and my network.

What is most valuable?

Scaling is very easy and no limitations are set.

What needs improvement?

I have not encountered any stability issues at all.

I have not encountered any scalability issues at all. It is easier than any other product I know.

The technical support is the best I have ever seen. They act quick and directly via Web session. No more first-level support and so on.

We previously used VMware for virtualization and NetApp for storage. We switched because we need to expand and that is not easy with NetApp. VMware only has the best features in the biggest license, which is expensive.

The setup of Nutanix is done in one hour. They say: “Start small, start quick, and pay as you grow”. That is really very easy.

Pricing is nearly the same, but don´t forget in this price I have included my storage and virtualization costs. And it will be much cheaper in the future.

We checked other options, too, such as EMC, EqualLogic, and Nexenta. But the easiest and the one with the most scalability was Nutanix.

What other advice do I have?

If you have an old three-tier architecture that is more than three years old, check your contracts. Check your applications like Exchange, SQL, Oracle, SAP, or VDI, and if you have problems or you need better performance, then go to Nutanix and start a test with your application. I recommend a try-and-buy solution or go directly into a proof of concept. They will help you out.

It is the most flexible product for the datacenter.

Hyperconverged specialist with Nutanix & CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
        It provides a distributed storage fabric and setup was simple.

What is most valuable?

Distributed storage fabric

How has it helped my organization?

We don’t need to be SAN or virtualization experts J

What needs improvement?

Manage virtualization layer with Hyper-V

I have used it for three years.

Technical support is 10/10.

We previously used DataCore, but scaling it is too difficult.

Initial setup was too simple. Our datacenter was on in two hours. …

What is most valuable?

• Distributed storage fabric

How has it helped my organization?

We don’t need to be SAN or virtualization experts J

What needs improvement?

• Manage virtualization layer with Hyper-V

I have used it for three years.

Technical support is 10/10.

We previously used DataCore, but scaling it is too difficult.

Initial setup was too simple. Our datacenter was on in two hours.

Pricing and licensing is so correct compared with other solutions.

I have not evaluate other options because for the past three years, Nutanix has been the leader in hyperconverged solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Choose Nutanix for the simplicity and performance ahead of other products.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a reseller of Nutanix products.
        Senior Systems Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        The converged storage infrastructure is a great benefit that removes the necessity of a separate storage network.

What is most valuable?

The web-based management portal (Prism) is very robust and easy to understand.

There is very little to manually configure, for the Nutanix or (in our case) VMware OS, once the scripted installation has completed.

Very knowledgeable support engineers.

How has it helped my organization?

For us, the Nutanix 3060 was a fantastic solution because it was an exact fit for the purpose of refreshing our hypervisor (VMware) infrastructure. For example, our existing VMware licensing allowed for a total of 8 sockets, which fit perfectly since the 3060 consists of (4) nodes with (2) sockets each. Our fiscal planning called for the replacement of two of our hypervisor hosts and an HP P2000 G3 SAN however, we were able to justify a Nutanix 3060 appliance due to the hyper-converged features. We also went from a 1G iSCSI storage network to 10G and we didn't need to purchase a 10G switch for the storage traffic since we connected the 10G nics in the Nutanix nodes directly to our end-of-rack switches. The simplification, cost-savings, and across the board performance increase made the Nutanix a great decision.

What needs improvement?

The Nutanix uses controller VMs for disk I/O, metadata, etc. and they can consume significant resources so be sure to account for the additional CPU and memory the controllers will need. There is one controller VM per node so Nutanix and/or your reseller can help you calculate what additional resources you'll need.

The Nutanix OS (NOS) is proprietary so, out of the box, you will need a Nutanix Support Engineer's (SE) help to configure the appliance. This doesn't take long and I haven't needed to make any adjustments since the configuration was performed.

We have (2) 10G ports per node (you can have 4) so all of the network, vMotion, storage, etc. traffic goes through the same nic. This hasn't been an issue for us and the 10G nics handle all the traffic quite well with no bottlenecks. In fact, we are still seeing 0ms read and write latency with 40% resource utilization.

Our Nutanix has been in production for 1 month.

There was some sort of communication breakdown with the Nutanix SE and our reseller. I mentioned before the installation is done with a Nutanix SE due to the proprietary installation but I was not made aware of this until after I tried to perform the installation myself. Once I became aware (after reading a lot of documentation) and contacted Nutanix Support, the engineer who helped me was extremely knowledgeable and got the installation back on track.

No stability issues.

No, however we do not have any short-term plans to scale out beyond our current Nutanix appliance.

I have not needed to contact customer service.

Outstanding on every level.

We were using HP servers, switches, and SANs for our hypervisor solution. The hyper-converged infrastructure became a more attractive option since there is less to manage separately. The management portal (Prism) manages everything centrally and can be configured for your SNMP solution.

The initial setup is somewhat complex and needs to be coordinated with a support engineer. Given the amount of proprietary technology (NOS, features, and Nutanix has their own optional hypervisor solution (Acropolis)), it isn't surprising nor a frustration.

As I mentioned previously, the installation was done by me with the help of a Nutanix SE.

This is a pricey solution considering it's essentially a fork lift upgrade but the features, redundancy, and performance made it the most attractive solution for us.

We looked at Simplivity as well but decided on the Nutanix because it was a better fit for our VMware licensing. We were able to simply replace (4) of our existing VMware hosts with (4) Nutanix nodes in a single appliance.

Technical Lead Engineer at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
        Through Nutanix Prism software, they even give you the capability of swapping out the ESXi hypervisor with the click of a button.
        Originally posted http://tech.zsoldier.com/2015/06/opinion-nutanix-acropolis-and-vmware.html  I was lucky enough to attend the inaugural Nutanix .NEXT conference in Miami the last 3 days. I learned a lot and met many new faces. Here is the bottom line: Nutanix has released their flavor of the KVM hypervisor dubbed "Acropolis". So what does that mean for you VMware shops? Right now, possibly lower or complete removal of hypervisor licensing costs. However, VMware is a leader for a reason, so you will likely need to augment by using something like VMTurbo to manage and give you smarter DRS like capability plus more. I'll need to read-up on Acropolis feature sets, but the fair comparisons would likely be between the base vSphere ESXi editions (including…

Nutanix has released their flavor of the KVM hypervisor dubbed "Acropolis".

So what does that mean for you VMware shops?

Right now, possibly lower or complete removal of hypervisor licensing costs. However, VMware is a leader for a reason, so you will likely need to augment by using something like VMTurbo to manage and give you smarter DRS like capability plus more. I'll need to read-up on Acropolis feature sets, but the fair comparisons would likely be between the base vSphere ESXi editions (including vCenter) vs Acropolis/Prism and/or the vCloud Suite vs. Acropolis/Prism/VMTurbo combo. It's going to come down to features and price.

I'm thinking personally that it "MIGHT" be cheaper to go an Acropolis/Prism/VMTurbo route strictly from a licensing perspective, but have yet to price everything out. Taking VMTurbo out, I think would most certainly save from a licensing perspective. The argument may be hardware vendor lock-in, but that is slowly dissolving w/ Nutanix I think.

Through Nutanix Prism software, they even give you the capability of swapping out the ESXi hypervisor w/ the click of a button. VM's will be migrated to the different hypervisor too, albeit they will be shutdown for the migration process, but looks to be completely automated.

Kinda curious if that is a two way street though. Meaning, could I change from Acropolis to Hyper-V or back to ESXi?
        [Update: Right now, it's a one-way street. Other things to consider, no cloud stack for Prism/Acropolis to speak of currently. Still early, but worth keeping an eye on.]

Regardless, all this means, it's an exciting time to be in the infrastructure space. Hopefully this pushes VMware in the direction of making vSAN a part of the vCloud Suite AND not charging a premium for the 'all-flash' edition of vSAN. Quite honestly, VERY STUPID move on VMware's part. it's only shown in that article, so I'm hoping they reverse that idea. I'm already paying a premium on SSD's and they want me to pay more for licensing!? Get real.

Right now, technology-wise, I feel Nutanix 'appears' to have the simplicity side of things going for them. VMware, it's unfortunately quite complicated, but very feature-rich. The bigger thing that Nutanix will have to worry about though is public cloud adoption. Yes, they can utilize it too, but will I care? If I use the public cloud 'efficiently and correctly', on-premise becomes a small pie.

it_user327513
        Technical Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
        Metro availability with synchronous replication is most appreciable for my customer, but cloning VMs in Prism would be nice.

What is most valuable?

Metro availability Fingerprinting

How has it helped my organization?

Metro availability with synchronous replication is most appreciable for my customer. Its benefit is high avaibility in production.

What needs improvement?

Maybe more functions for Prism with VMmware, for example, cloning VMs in Prism, exactly like Acropolis.

I've used them for almost three years.

One time, with IPMI not reachable for CVM. I troubleshot this problem with Nutanix US support.

It's at a high level.

No previous solution was used.

It…

What is most valuable?

• Metro availability
        • Fingerprinting

What needs improvement?

I've used them for almost three years.

It's at a high level.

No previous solution was used.

It is small but complex. Howerver, if you have a good skills with virtualization solutions, and Linux systems, you can install it without any problems.

I installed the solution alone. My advice is to read the Nutanix documents before your installation.

I have am immediately gain, as it has lower hardware maintenance costs, and lower electricity consumption.

I have evaluated SimpliVity OmniCube.

Product Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
        It has features that help us to manage it, such as one-click hypervisor and firmware upgrade, and we can store data efficiently with compression and deduplication.

What is most valuable?

One-click hypervisor and firmware upgrade Snapshots and clones Compression and deduplication Backup and disaster recovery

How has it helped my organization?

It's easy to manage with the one-click hypervisor and firmware upgrade. We can also store data more efficiently with compression and deduplication.

What needs improvement?

I have nothing to suggest.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: It's good.…

What is most valuable?

• One-click hypervisor and firmware upgrade
        • Snapshots and clones
        • Compression and deduplication
        • Backup and disaster recovery

How has it helped my organization?

It's easy to manage with the one-click hypervisor and firmware upgrade.

We can also store data more efficiently with compression and deduplication.

What needs improvement?

I have nothing to suggest.

It's good.

It's good.

We did, and we switched because Nutanix is easier to manage and configure.

It's simple, just a few clicks are needed to configure it.

We used a mixed team.

What other advice do I have?

You should look into this product if you are looking for a good piece of technology.

it_user323556
        Sr. Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
        It automatically balances and vMotions the VMs to other nodes on the cluster as resources are needed, although it's not hardware agnostic.

Valuable Features

The features that are most valuable to our company would be the ease of use and configuration. The Nutanix software automatically balances and vMotions the VMs to other nodes on the cluster as resources are needed. The Nutanix Cassandra intelligently moves around the metadata as needed. it’s practically a set it and leave it product.

Improvements to My Organization

Our whole infrastructure is maintained by two people. This is how simple it is to use Nutanix. Hyperconverged is the way of the future.

Room for Improvement

One thing I would like to eventually see from Nutanix is the ability to install the Nutanix OS on any hardware, making it hardware agnostic instead of depending on their expensive servers. NOS is what makes the whole Nutanix cluster work so well.

Use of Solution

Our company has been using Nutanix for a little over two years. We decided to implement the Nutanix solution when we decided to virtualize our entire infrastructure.

No issues encountered.

Scalability is well thought out as well; you can scale out in every direction.

Nutanix support is second to none, their technical support is very knowledgable as well. Though you do pay a pretty penny for it.

Deployment is simple and does not take much time. As long as your network infrasturuture is set up correctly, creating new LUN containers is just two steps. Adding another block only takes a few clicks as well.

Implementation Team

We had a vendor do the initial configuraiton and implementation for us. Everything was very straigthforward. The only thing is if you want to add another block (either because you need more space or more computing power), make sure to downgrade/upgrade your NOS software to the same as your current software, or it will not work.

Other Solutions Considered

This was the only hyperconverged solution we considered, simply because they were the most mature solution that we felt was right for our environment.

it_user303024
        Sr. Systems Engineer and Tech Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
        It provides us with an internal VDI solution that is scalable and has a small footprint.

Valuable Features

• Small footprint
        • Scalability
        • Price when compared to other computer/storage solutions is better value

Improvements to My Organization

We are using it for an internal VDI solution and proof of concept for other possible projects.

Room for Improvement

None, everything is working great and I don't currently have any suggestions.

Use of Solution

We installed it in the middle of January 2015.

No issues encountered.

I've had to contact them a few times about minor first use things and they responded quickly and with great detail.

It was very easy, and very smooth.

Implementation Team

They sent an engineer to help us set it up on site, and he walked us through the implementation.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

We were pretty cut-throat on the pricing but we also bought it at the end of the year so we most likely got a good deal so they could make their numbers. We also only bought one year of support to keep the price within the project budget.

Other Solutions Considered

We investigated several other products and went with this one due to their demo and in depth sales pitch.

Other Advice

For the industry they are in, Nutanix is some amazing stuff. Even if we don't expand our footprint with them, I will personally be keeping up with their technology.

it_user302127
        Network Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It centralizes management, so we can build clouds anywhere, but they should replace all the hard drives with SSD.

Valuable Features

All the software-defined, hyper-converged, and cloud-based infrastructure provide our network with VMs and storage.

Improvements to My Organization

It centralizes management, so we can build clouds anywhere. Regardless of the hardware platform, it still works.

Room for Improvement

The processing power is OK, but for the future it needs to be better. Replacing all the hard drives with SSD would dramatically improve performance.

• Very good compression
        • QoS is very good

It's highly scalable because it's all in the cloud.

We often use technical support, but usually we grab an account manager who sends an entire team.

It was very easy.

Other Advice

The solution you choose will depend on your budget. If you want to build a hybrid cloud, and have a good balance between cost and performance, then Nutanix is good option.

Managing Consultant with 51-200 employees
        Nutanix vs. VMware EVO:RAIL vs. FlexPod
        Originally posted at www.storagegaga.com/dont-get-too-drunk-on-hyper-converged/ I hate the fact that I am bursting the big bubble brewing about Hyper Convergence (HC). I urge all to look past the hot air and hype frenzy that are going on, because in the end, the HC platforms have to be aligned and congruent to the organization’s data architecture and business plans. The announcement of Gartner’s latest Magic Quadrant on Integrated Systems (read hyper convergence) has put Nutanix as the leader of the pack as of August 2015. Clearly, many of us get caught up because it is the “greatest feeling in the world”. However, this faux feeling is not reality because there are many factors that made the pack leaders in the Magic Quadrant (MQ). First of all, the MQ is about…

Originally posted at www.storagegaga.com/dont-get-too-drunk-on-hyper-converged/

First of all, the MQ is about market perception. There is no doubt that the pack leaders in the Leaders Quadrant have earned their right to be there. Each company’s revenue, market share, gross margin, company’s profitability have helped put each as leaders in the pack. However, it is also measured by branding, marketing, market perception and acceptance and other intangible factors.

Secondly, VMware EVO: Rail has split the market when EMC has 3 HC solutions in VCE, ScaleIO and EVO: Rail. Cisco wanted to do their own HC piece in Whiptail (between the 2014 MQ and 2015 MQ reports), and closed down Whiptail when their new CEO came on board. NetApp chose EVO: Rail and also has the ever popular FlexPod. That is why you see that in this latest MQ report, NetApp and Cisco are interpreted independently whereas in last year’s report, it was Cisco/NetApp. Market forces changed, and perception changed.

The most glaring gap of the Gartner MQ is, it does not measure how good each technology is against the competitors, and therefore, boxes like Nutanix and Simplivity, and also the motley crew of so-called EVO:Rail partners, are simply betting on how good they pitch to get into the MQ Leaders Quadrant as part of their agenda.

It is not common that a vendor would do a bake-off against a competitor because one might fall flat on his/her face if they lose the bake-off. Recently we witnessed the big shouting match between Nutanix and VMware, each trying to out-boast the other with claims and counter claims of how good their performance was. Here is VMware’s Chuck Hollis’ piece and here is Nutanix’s piece (part 4 anyway). It was hounding the blogosphere with so much *bleep* that it felt like a game of Kabaddi. (Look up the game of Kabaddi).

The dare, double-dare and triple-dare went on for a few weeks between VMware and Nutanix until Storage Review, an online “independent” storage articles and news aggregator, probably got sick of this undignified spat. Storage Review ran the Nutanix’s tests (and blogged about it) and came up with some unexpected results. Nutanix got disillusioned and started to dictate what should be in the performance tests and went through some “innocent” and “hilarious” acts to justify the results. You can read about them here. Page 2 of that article started the “We ask you not to …” comments to Storage Review, which I thought was really funny.

That’s just it. The Hyper Converged vendors spend a lot of the resource and marketing on hypping up performance, and little of everything else. It is true that storage performance is needed for 25-30% of the active data. However, in any organization, we know very well that 70-75% of the data in the entire data lifecycle is non-active, Tier-3 or archived data. Hyper Converged systems and platforms ignore this passive data space. They do not play with inactive data landscape because the $/GB or $/TB is too expensive.

Furthermore, if we look at the entire HC thingy more close, it is just Software-Defined because it is just a wonderful piece of proprietary software running on an ODM (original design manufacturer) x86 platform. EMC VSPEX is rumoured to be running on the Quanta systems and Nutanix on Supermicro. Why do we need to pay a premium price for a piece of whitebox hardware?

We must overcome the hype and read beyond the messages that vendors, partners who tend to oversell their technology. We must look at what is required in our business, in our operations and look at our data requirements. I constantly share that we must look at our data landscape and use the 7 points that I always use to consider a technology – Availability, Performance, Protection, Accessibility, Management, Security and Compliance. Is the HC technology and the solution relevant to your organization’s business?

So, if you want to Hyper Converged, please Hyper Converge responsibly. Your data landscape architecture will thank you for it.

it_user300495
        Senior DevOps Engineer at a hospitality company with 10,001+ employees
        IOPs has increased as new nodes are added, although it has a high upfront cost.

What is most valuable?

• Ease of installing the hyper-visor
        • Out of the box High Availability

How has it helped my organization?

• Decreased Rack space/power consumption
        • No need for SAN
        • IOPs has increased as new nodes are added

What needs improvement?

None, as I like that Nutanix listen to their customers, and implement new features to improve the kit.

I've used it for six months.

It's excellent.

It's excellent.

We previously used a huge blade chassis with a SAN. We switched because of a bottleneck in the SAN, and it didn't scale well, as we hit queue depth limits. Some advantages Nutanix has over our old solution are:

• Decreased the datacenter foot print
        • No need for hypervisor purchase with the addition of Acropolis
        • Reduce costs with regards to virtualisation technologies (i.e. VMware)
        • Features are at no extra cost
        • Ability to scale virtual hosts fast

It's straightforward.

We did it in-house.

Pricing is a little high but if you really look into what the product provides, the cost saving on setting up infrastructure and maintaining it is greatly reduced. Unlike VMware, features are provided at no extra cost. The support for the product is exceptional! Nutanix are keen to make sure their product excels in all areas.

What other advice do I have?

When you get over the initial shock of the price, and think about what you get you will never go back to the old way of implementing infrastructure.

it_user234747
        Practice Manager - Cloud, Automation & DevOps at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
        To get started with this hyper-converged infrastructure solution, the documentation is well-written, but they need to update their policies on who can access them.
        Originally posted at http://vcdx133.com/ If you have just heard about Hyper-Converged infrastructure and Nutanix, read my Tech101 – Nutanix Virtual Computing Platform article. First point, Nutanix has just announced the name change of their Virtual Computing Platform (VCP) to Xtreme Computing Platform (XCP) with the release of Acropolis and their new “Invisible Infrastructure” paradigm during the Miami .Next 2015 conference. If you are not a Nutanix Customer, Partner or Employee, it is going to be very challenging getting your hands on their technology, KB articles and documentation. They have released the Nutanix Community Edition to get you started, but it will provide limited value for their Enterprise platform. Nutanix need to update their policies on who can access their…

Originally posted at http://vcdx133.com/

Nutanix need to update their policies on who can access their binaries, KB articles and documentation. Particularly if they want non-customers to investigate and become familiar with their technology. I have been informed they are trying to fix this. For example:

• If you take the Nutanix Virtual Computing Platform Administration 4.1.1 course for NPP, some of the training material links to Nutanix documents that require a valid support contract.
        • You must be a Nutanix Partner or Employee to download the Foundation and Phoenix binaries.

The Nutanix documentation (HTML, EPUB or PDF) you want to get your hands on for NOS 4.1:

• Setup Guide (publicly available)
        • Advanced Setup Guide
        • Field Installation Guide
        • Hardware Administration and Reference
        • Upgrade Guide
        • Web Console Guide (publicly available)
        • vSphere Administration Guide (publicly available)
        • Acropolis Virtualisation Administration Guide (publicly available – previously “KVM Administration Guide”)
        • Hyper-V Administration Guide (publicly available)
        • NOS Advanced Administration Guide
        • Nutanix Cluster Check (NCC) Guide
        • Command Reference (publicly available)
        • API Reference (HTML only – publicly available)

General observation, Nutanix documentation is very well written with an elegant font and format; very easy to read and understand.

The Nutanix Portal areas (HTML, EPUB or PDF) you want to checkout (if you have access):

• Knowledge Base Articles
        • End of Life Bulletins (& Policy)
        • Field Advisories
        • Security Advisories
        • Support (for Support Request creation and management)

General observation, Nutanix support is very prompt and helpful, even for low priority requests.

The Nutanix hardware, software, binaries and licences you will need to start your journey:

• Nutanix XCP block (any model), even as a PoC for a few months
        • Foundation (2.1 at time of writing) with the embedded Phoenix images for ESXi, KVM and Hyper-V
        • Nutanix Installer Package (2.1.3 at time of writing)
        • Prism Central (4.1.3 at time of writing – separate Hyper-V and ESXi versions)
        • Professional/Ultimate Edition Licences for your Cluster (for advanced features)
        • Nutanix Cluster Check (NCC – 1.4.1 at time of writing)
        • Nutanix Community Edition (with whitebox hardware or nested virtual)
        • Nutanix supported version of ESXi ISO image from my.vmware.com
        • Nutanix supported version of Hyper-V ISO image from microsoft.com
        • Nutanix KVM Hypervisor upgrade bundle
        • Various Tools and Firmware (eg. SCVMM Clone AddIn, SCOM Management Pack etc.)

What can you do to get started:

it_user298428
        Systems Engineer at a government with 501-1,000 employees
        It eliminates the need to have a "storage team" when using virtualization, but it would be nice to be able to converge the network switch required to connect the Nutanix nodes together.

What is most valuable?

The reduced complexity of the overall system is a major plus, especially for smaller IT teams. Nutanix eliminates the need to have a “storage team” when using virtualization.

How has it helped my organization?

Beside the reduction in cost, we have been able to use Virtual Desktops for all our users. The Nutanix Hardware is capable of delivering the performance needed for Virtual desktop deployment.

What needs improvement?

Nutanix has made huge improvements over the past years and the product is very good at the moment. It would be nice to be able to converge the network switch required to connect the Nutanix nodes together. This can then be managed via the Nutanix Admin console.

We were the first in New Zealand to implement the Nutanix converged infrastructure during December 2012.

We have recently scaled up on our infrastructure without any issues. It takes longer to get the kit out of the box and in to the rack than what it takes to set it up.

They have excellent customer service and has a few support contract options available to customers.

We used to use an HP SAN but there is no way SAN’s can compete on performance with Nutanix.

The initial setup was more about migrating between hardware than actually having complexity problems. Almost any systems engineer would be able to understand and administer Nutanix infrastructure in just a few days.
        I’m confident that there is no infrastructure on the market now that is as simple to implement and configure as Nutanix.

The initial configuration was done with assistance from Nutanix support. The guys there offer a great service and know the product well. During upgrades and such, we contact support to talk us through the process just because we can and it gives management a safe feeling.

Nutanix is very competitively priced and the reduced cost compared to a traditional SAN, and the increased performance and scalability sits well with the finance department. I suggest you talk to the Nutanix engineers and get a solution that is right for your workload and needs. Licensing is simple and easy to understand.

it_user234747
        Moving from legacy, 3-tier infrastructure to HCI is a big change.
        Originally posted at http://vcdx133.com In my opinion, Hyper-Converged Infrastructure (HCI) is the future of Private and Hybrid Cloud infrastructure. If you are designing a greenfield data center and HCI is not on your list for serious consideration, then it should be. With that being said, every technology has its Pros and Cons; nobody rides for free. The advantages of HCI are many and outweigh the disadvantages, here is what you need to watch out for: People – If your server virtualization, network and storage teams operate in silos and are constantly at war with each other, then HCI is probably not for you at this time. Successful HCI projects are built upon a very close collaboration between these teams. In fact, it makes more sense to merge these three…

Originally posted at http://vcdx133.com

• People – If your server virtualization, network and storage teams operate in silos and are constantly at war with each other, then HCI is probably not for you at this time. Successful HCI projects are built upon a very close collaboration between these teams. In fact, it makes more sense to merge these three teams into one “Enterprise Infrastructure” team. It is also very important to cross-skill these team members and let them evolve into “Enterprise Architects”, “Enterprise Administrators” and “Enterprise Operators”. However, make sure you keep your Backup/Recovery/Archive responsibilities separate (see RBAC point below).
        • Data Center Facilities – A data center full of legacy, 3-tier infrastructure is not the same as one packed with HCI. The resource density ratio is around 4-8 to 1 depending upon your current legacy infrastructure. You need to design for 25+kW racks with a matching cooling system. If you use a traditional, legacy data center (designed for 5-8kW per rack), then you will have problems down the road (hot spots and power exhaustion).
        • Switch Fabric – By moving to HCI, you need a scalable LAN fabric that provides non-blocking throughput for East-West traffic. Legacy network switch design (Core – Distribution – Aggregation – Access layers) is not going to cut it for large scale HCI, which is optimised for North-South traffic. You may get away with it initially, however you will need plans to migrate to a non-blocking leaf and spine switched LAN. HCI has made Fiber Channel infrastructure obsolete, but the same principles that drove SAN design now apply to your LAN with the move to IP storage.
        • Controller VM – The storage processor of legacy storage arrays has now become a virtual appliance running on the host itself. Make sure your administration/operations staff, Standard Operating Procedures and monitoring systems understand the importance and give it the respect it deserves. The current version of NOS with ESXi still allows vSphere administrators to modify the CVM (Nutanix Acropolis does not allow this for CVMs with Nutanix KVM). For example, an untrained vSphere Administrator powers off all Nutanix Controller VMs and reduces the RAM from 24GB to 8GB to provide additional resources for adding new VMs across the entire cluster.
        • Role Based Access Control – When I consider failure scenarios for Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery, my nightmare risk is not a natural disaster, but the disgruntled rogue administrator, who has all of the keys to the kingdom, taking out every system. With HCI and the “Enterprise Administrator”, this risk is compounded. So it is very important to separate the administration/operations responsibilities for operational data and backup/recovery/archive. This way if either one is wiped out across all data centers, you still have the other to recover from. Apply this concept to physical data center security as well.
        • Data Locality and the Working Set – “Data Locality” is the amount of local storage resources (capacity and performance) presented via the Controller VM to the Hypervisor for serving your virtual workloads. The “Working Set” is the active footprint (capacity and performance) of those virtual workloads. As an organization (architects, administrators and operators), you need to make sure that the “Working Set” of your virtual machines have the optimum fit with respect to the “Data Locality” of each node in your HCI solution. Nutanix XCP has many different models, you need to make sure you select the correct fit for your needs.
        • Processes and Procedures – In my opinion, Hyper-Converged Infrastructure (HCI) is the future of Private and Hybrid Cloud infrastructure. If you are designing a greenfield data center and HCI is not on your list for serious consideration, then it should be. With that being said, every technology has its Pros and Cons; nobody rides for free. The advantages of HCI are many and outweigh the disadvantages, here is what you need to watch out for:
        • Switch Fabric – By moving to HCI, you need a scalable LAN fabric that provides non-blocking throughput for East-West traffic. Legacy network switch design (Core – Distribution – Aggregation – Access layers) is not going to cut it for large scale HCI, which is optimized for North-South traffic. You may get away with it initially, however you will need plans to migrate to a non-blocking leaf and spine switched LAN. HCI has made Fiber Channel infrastructure obsolete, but the same principles that drove SAN design now apply to your LAN with the move to IP storage.
        • Processes and Procedures – Moving from legacy, 3-tier infrastructure to HCI is a big change, so do not underestimate or ignore the imperative to update all of your processes and procedures. HCI will simplify and improve your infrastructure, consequently simplifying your operational procedures, but you will need to change how you do things with respect to people, process and technology.
        Solution Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
        It controls data sets and metadata well with local read/write access and real-time distribution to other hosts, but it slows down in systems with large block sizes in random write.

What is most valuable?

• Shadow clone
        • Deduplication fingerprint on ingest

How has it helped my organization?

The beauty of this product is that it is very intelligent in controlling the data set and metadata. It fully utilizes the memory, hard disk, and CPU, and leverage big data components such as a Cassandra database as a metadata database to hold each of the nodes for a redundancy issue if there's a node or disk failure.

Each of the applications can perform data access in read and write locally, and also distribute a second copy of data to other hosts in real time, which ensures data will not be lost if there is a hard disk failure, and this avoids storage I/O bottleneck issues.

What needs improvement?

When operating a system which has a large capacity and large block sizes in random write, the performance will slow down a little bit.

7/10.

10/10 as Nutanix support provides all our hypervisor support.

No, because no one is similar to Nutanix in using 100% software define storage.

It's very straightforward. It makes a complete workflow and software for operation. In fact, it's so easy it will make implementation engineers obsolete.

I implemtented it myself.

It's very simple and cost effective.

• VMware vSAN
        • HP CS200
        it_user292611
        Assistant Technical Manager with 51-200 employees
        Our IT administrators are more efficient because of the simplicity of the management interface.

What is most valuable?

There are many features that catch our attention. The most valuable one is it’s distributed file system with the data protection and storage auto tiering. This feature promise a high redundancy for our data while maintaining the high IOPs for traffic intense applications.

How has it helped my organization?

For the business it saves our rack space and maintenance costs, which is also applicable to most of our customers. The simplicity of the management interface of the product has increased the efficiency of our IT administrators, and given us a better planning direction for our storage and server expansion.

What needs improvement?

The product is quite promising, and is sufficient for daily IT/business operations at the moment.

We have been using this product for two to three years, since it first launched in Malaysia in 2012.

No issues encountered.

The good thing about Nutanix is that there is zero-downtime for expansion, and the process is just too simple to be believe.

Nutanix also supports the dynamic expansion, with which different models can be mixed and matched for future expansion.

I would say their support team is awesome. Nutanix hires a multiple-skill set support engineers, which can solve my issue no matter what system I am using on the box. Also, their respond time is an ace.

Previously, we were using traditional servers, and storage products, which are common in the market. This product has no SAN concept, which totally simplified the whole architecture of server storage, and is a big credit to them. It was this that led us to this product.

I would say that the deployment is quite simple and straightforward. In fact, it was very straightforward, they have their own installation VM which has just a few simple steps to get the whole system up. It took no more than one hour.

We have done the implementation a lot as we are a vendor. My advice is simple, just following the setup guide will do, there are no hidden steps inside.

What other advice do I have?

I would encourage you to try out this product. I believe you will not regret it because of the stability of the technology, and the other benefits you can get from Nutanix.

it_user290346
        Account Executive with 51-200 employees
        It frees up network traffic, but larger HDDs are needed.

What is most valuable?

It's an all-in-one solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Faster iOPs, and it frees up network traffic.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to have larger HDDs.

I've used it for over one year.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: It's excellent, but expensive. Technical Support: It's excellent, but expensive.

I resell all MFGs and needed to replace everything, as my…

What is most valuable?

It's an all-in-one solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Faster iOPs, and it frees up network traffic.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to have larger HDDs.

I've used it for over one year.

No issues encountered.

It's excellent, but expensive.

It's excellent, but expensive.

I resell all MFGs and needed to replace everything, as my customer wanted to keep his core systems off the network.

A Nutanix engineer helped in all phases of the installation, and it was very easy.

Our engineers were contracted to install, and with the Nutanix engineers it went off without a hitch.

The ROI is gained within two years.

I would seriously look at a less expensive support solution. I’d be surprised if a customer calls more than a few times on their support.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a computer, power, networking and storage solution, this is a great option.

it_user234747
        I like the linear scaling of performance.
        Originally posted at vcdx133.com. This post provides a Tech101 breakdown of the Nutanix Virtual Computing Platform. If you have heard the buzz-words “Nutanix”, “Web-Scale” and “Hyper-Convergence” and want to learn more about it, this post is for you. The Nutanix Virtual Computing Platform (VCP) is a Hyper-Converged Infrastructure solution. Termed the “iPhone” of infrastructure, what is the big deal? Short answer: Ease of use, fast deployment, linear scaling of performance with capacity and richness of product features. Why should you care? If you live in the world of monolithic and vertically scaled storage, you may have experienced the initial, massive cost of purchasing your storage solution with a 5 year ROI. Then comes the honey-moon period where you experience amazing…

Originally posted at vcdx133.com.

Why should you care? If you live in the world of monolithic and vertically scaled storage, you may have experienced the initial, massive cost of purchasing your storage solution with a 5 year ROI. Then comes the honey-moon period where you experience amazing performance as workloads are moved to the new array. Well before the 5 year ROI mark, you will probably experience performance degradation as the capacity of the array is consumed. Which then initiates discussions with your storage vendor about how you need to spend another boatload of money adding additional controllers, SSDs and disks to the array.

Furthermore, think about how long it takes for the storage team, the server team and the network team to agree on a particular design for a project and the time it takes to order, deliver, install, configure and test that solution. Have you ever asked yourself, “There must be an easier way to do this?”

Enter Hyper-Convergence, where you can now buy individual blocks of infrastructure at an entry price and quickly scale-out your solution (performance and capacity) one unit at a time as you grow.

What is it? Nutanix has taken the “Web-Scale” infrastructure model of Google and Facebook and made it available to the Enterprise. You buy a Nutanix Block (rack mounted chassis) that contains Nutanix Nodes (hosts), storage, power and cooling. This creates a Nutanix Cluster (Software-Defined Storage), which are comprised of Controller Virtual Machines (CVM).

How does it work? The Controller Virtual Machines connect directly to the physical SCSI Controllers on each node (Pass-Through mode) and the CVMs are configured to create a “Nutanix Distributed File System (NDFS) Cluster” (storage pool) via the 10GbE network. All of the pooled storage is classified as local or remote from the point of view of each CVM and VM data is protected based upon a Replication Factor (RF) policy of two or three, which replaces the concept of RAID. RF-2 means a local and remote copy is maintained and RF-3, a local and two remote copies of said data.

Where is the magic? Since each node has its own Controller VM, SSDs and HDDs, NDFS can provide linear scaling of capacity and performance for locally stored data. When a CVM goes down, a remote CVM will takeover serving data I/O to the local hypervisor. When the local CVM comes online, it resumes service. This fundamental concept is what allows Nutanix to provide a “rolling upgrade” of the Nutanix Operating System (NOS). What is the caveat? During periods of CVM failure, local workloads that access remotely stored data will experience degraded performance until the local CVM is restored.

The major components of the Nutanix VCP solution are:

• Nutanix Node – a single host with CPU, RAM, SCSI Controller and Network that resides in a Nutanix Block
        • Nutanix Block – rack mounted chassis that contains nodes, storage, power and fans
        • Prism – User Interface and APIs
        • Prism Central – aggregator of separate Prism Clusters to a single UI
        • Cluster Virtual Machine – Software-Defined Storage that supports NFS, iSCSI or SMB3
        • CVM operating system is known as “NOS” – Nutanix Operating System
        • CVM file system is known as “NDFS” – Nutanix Distributed File System
        • Hypervisor – VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V and KVM supported
        • OEM Hardware – Supermicro and Dell with PCIe SSD and HDD
        • Licencing – Starter, Pro & Ultimate

It comes in a number of OEM Hardware flavours (Dell and Supermicro) with the following uses:

• ROBO, Test & Development – NX-1000, Dell XC 720xd A5
        • EUC/VDI – NX-3000, NX-7000 (GPU & PCoIP Offload), Dell XC 720xd B5/B7
        • Compute Intensive – NX-3000, Dell XC 720xd B7
        • Data Intensive – NX-8000, Dell XC 720xd C5/C7
        • Business Critical & Mission Critical Apps – NX-9000 (All Flash)

The major features of the Nutanix Operating System (current version NOS 4.1):

• One-Click Upgrades of NOS and Hypervisor (rolling upgrade)
        • Data Protection Cloud Connect (to AWS)
        • Data At Rest Encryption
        • Metro Availability (<5ms RTT)
        • Deduplication
        • Compression
        • Data Tiering
        • Snapshots and Clones
        • Advanced Data Protection

Alternatives

• Server-Side Flash-Cache Acceleration – VMware vFRC, PernixData FVP, EMC XtremSF/XtremCache, etc.
        • Converged Infrastructure Solutions – NetApp FlexPod, VCE vBlock, HP ConvergedSystem, Dell, etc.
        • Other Hyper-Converged solutions – VMware EVO:Rail, Maxta, SimpliVity OmniCube, Scale Computing, Pivot3, etc.
        it_user234735
        Technology Consultant, ASEAN at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
        Reduces complexity but does not use RAID and there is no RAID Controller.
        Nutanix is hyper-converged infrastructure, which is currently a major concern in the world of IT. New players are appearing in hyper-converged infrastructure like Simplivity, VMware EVO: Rail, EMC ScaleIO, and so forth. Waht is Hyper-Converged? Hyper-Converged is the solution to combine Computer (Server), Storage and Networks in one solution or in one hardware. This solution will reduce complexity of the management and also the price. So like in Nutanix, the 2 U Server, in which there are four independent servers (nodes), who each have 2 Socket CPU, RAM, 2x10GbE, 2x1GbE, 6 Disks. Bringing the total in 2U Server (Series NX-3450) there are 80 CPU Cores, 2TB RAM (assuming 512GB per node), 8x10GbE and 16TB SATA Row, Row 3.2TB SSD. Storage in Nutanix (Converged Storage), reduces the complexity…

Waht is Hyper-Converged?

Storage in Nutanix (Converged Storage), reduces the complexity of the storage layer, because it does not need LUN, Volume, Zoning, etc as when we configure FC Storage. Storage in Nutanix is NFS, NFS is the benefit of reducing the overhead of the disk groups and LUNs.

Nutanix Architecture

Inside there is a term Nutanix nodes and blocks.Block is a 2U rack mount chassis in which there are four nodes.Hardware Nutanix is OEM Super Micro or Dell.

In each of these nodes are Nutanix Controller VM (CVM). CVM is a storage appliance or controllers which use VMware Direct Path for direct access to the LSI Disk Controller. This is what allows the CVM to control the disks directly without passing through the hypervisor (ESXi or Hyper-V or KVM). Nutanix does not use RAID and no RAID Controller therein. Nutanix Distributed Files System (NDFS) algorithm is owned (proprietary) by Nutanix system for distributing files or replicating data to each Node. NDFS is a similar technology as used by Googles Files System, Facebook and other Web-Scale Technology.

Hypervisor is installed in the SATA DOM (Disk on Motherboard) module. So there is a flash chip in the motherboard 64GB per node (read article unboxing Nutanix). CVM is a VM running on the hypervisor, which has the configuration of 8 vCPUs and 16-24GB RAM.CVM has two vNICs that one vNIC to connect to the production network and one vNIC to connect to a private vSwitch. Private vSwitch VMkernel adapters have and currently do not have physical network adapter (Punic). Private network used for communication from the host to the CVM for mounting NFS datastore of Nutanix Storage Cluster.CVM uses public vNIX for communication between the CVM in other nodes and also for monitoring cluster plus replicate data.

The figure below is a diagram per Node:

And the image below is a diagram per Cluster Nutanix:

And some of the questions often asked are:

1. What happens when CVM failure in one node? Autopathing will redirect IO to the CVM in other nodes in the same cluster.
        2. What happens when a disk failure on one node?Nutanix Storage Cluster will "sustain" the current single disk failure, and the system will redistribute data through Cluster.When the rebuild or redistribution is complete it will Cluster Healthy back.This process is very fast (ms).
        3. What happens when one node failure?The process is almost the same as point 2, the data will redistribute within the Cluster.Only this process Nutanix uses MapReduce to speed up the process.If we have three nodes in one cluster, then only allowed one node failure.Therefore, at least 3 nodes required to form 1 Nutanix Cluster.

Management Console

Management Console in Nutanix is PRISM.PRISM is a web interface as shown below.

The first time we log in, then the initial menu as shown above.Visible top left is the ESXi hypervisor is installed, if you use Microsoft Windows, the look is Hyper-V.Then also seen versions of ESXi, below is the total storage capacity, a total of VMs (VMs 230), total node (5) and total blocks (2).In the middle column visible performance monitoring IOPS, bandwidth, CPU and Memory.And the rightmost column is the Events and Alerts.

Top left corner there is a drop down menu (Home), then I moved to the Storage menu Diagram View.It will appear as shown below.

Now we move to the VM menu, which will give us the details of the VM is running in the cluster.Seen there total VM, total CPU and Memory.Then there is also a report by IOPS, Latency IO, Memory Usage and CPU Usage.

Then we move to the VM Table, it is seen in detail per-VM, as shown below. If we look at the information that there is, then I think this function together with VMware vCenter Ops, which did not exist just Forecast Analysis. Here we can search the VM and then perform analysis per-VM performance based on CPU, Memory, IOPS, Latency, or Network.

And now we move to the Storage menu Diagram.Seen all information relating to such Usage Storage, IOPS, bandwidth IO, IO Latency. And in the top right corner, there are two menus of "Container" and "Storage Pool".

Storage Pool, is the union of all disks that exist in all Nodes.Container is as Datastore. We can make some Container in 1 Storage Pool.As with traditional storage, we can make some LUNs in 1 Disk Group.

Interestingly here is Nutanix without RAID but using NDFS, no volume or LUNs. For example, we will create one Container, then I click menu in the top right corner Container, the menu will appear below.

Interestingly, we we would like to mount the new container to multiple hosts / nodes, we just need to do the check as shown below.Imagine if we use the SAN, must do Zoning first, then setting WWN ID to each of the hosts, and so on.

And we can compress or dedup the container that we have made, and only one click then completed as shown below. Interesting is it not it?

And no less, that is build-in replication. We can do replication N-Way means can perform replication to 3rd place (A-> B-> C) upto 6th place (A-> B-> C-> D-> E-> F). Which greatly facilitates that we can do per-VM based and fixed per block-level replication. Imagine in traditional storage, replication must be done LUN to LUN.So if there are 50-VM per LUN, then total all 50 VM will be replicated to the LUN in the DR Site.Replication in Nutanix, can be integrated with VMware SRM.

Likewise reviews Nutanix, although not as complete but could be an additional complete our knowledge. And we will come back to a Nutanix detailed discussion at a later time.

Thanks to Nutanix for allowing me to "box-test" Nutanix lab in Singapore.
        I would like to thank the team for greater Nutanix Reviews their help in providing the access to Reviews their lab and willingness to answer questions during our process.

Virtualization Architect, Office of the CTO at API Systems, Inc.
        I am now able to quickly configure a Cluster in minutes but if you do the design without appropriate cooling you will have stability issues.

What is most valuable?

1. Ease of administration
        2. Monitoring and alerting features through Prism Web UI
        3. Acceleration of non-persistent VDI through the shadow clone feature
        4. Localization of I/O makes boot and login storms a thing of the past

How has it helped my organization?

Rather than spend valuable consulting days setting up a SAN and carving out LUNs, setting up the hosts, etc., I am now able to quickly configure a Nutanix Cluster in minutes. I use the majority of my consulting time fine tuning the VDI and SBC deployment’s performance and policies which is the most valuable to the client.

I've been using Nutanix VCP NOS for two years.

On one particular deployment, I found two issues with hardware; a bad disk drive, and a bad motherboard. Luckily, Nutanix support contacted me because they received the alerts at the same time I did and we were able to triage and replace the defective hardware prior to the roll-out.

Something to consider when designing Rackspace for Nutanix blocks, and other SuperMicro server hardware, is that you are effectively adding four computer nodes into a 2U space. When you stack multiple blocks together in a rack, the density of heat is considerable when compared to typical server hardware in the very same amount of space. If you do the design without appropriate cooling, yes, you will have issues with stability.

Quite the opposite, really, this is the first time when scalability is not an issue. Adding another Nutanix node to a Cluster adds storage, memory and compute very easily. Nutanix scales very linearly, like some other converged solutions. Because it scales so linearly, it is important to choose your Nutanix model wisely so that you scale appropriately for the workload you are throwing at it.

Customer service is fantastic.

Prior to Nutanix, we, like everyone else, pieced together our solution using HP Proliant servers, and NetApp SAN storage. Between ordering, qualifying, unboxing, setup and configuration, the amount of time required to get the client up and running was huge. We had to have experts on shared storage and networking; a lot of time was spent doing tasks that didn’t directly translate into value for our clients. Switching to Nutanix flipped the value proposition around, and suddenly one technical person qualified in Nutanix was all that was needed. Our time to deployment was much faster, and both ours and our client’s costs went down.

Setup is very straightforward. Once racked and cabled, all I need is an IPv6 capable machine with a web browser. The Nutanix wizard guides me through the setup and configuration of the cluster in minutes.

I am the consultant providing the services.

What other advice do I have?

If you decide to deploy Nutanix in your organization, choose the team wisely. We were fortunate to have our own CTO, Mark Knouse, be awarded the NTC title. As Nutanix aggressively adds new features and ways to buy into the platform, and the Nutanix community grows, having a trusted team with NTCs that works directly with Nutanix with ensure your deployment is a success.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Premier Partner with Nutanix.
        it_user232989
        System Engineer II at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
        While the performance is quite good, the initial setup and ongoing administration needed a little more development/maturing.

What is most valuable?

I valued the high performance I/O and the high availability (HA).

What needs improvement?

This was a POC and due to the high cost of the solution we did not end up deploying the technology. Also the initial setup, and ongoing administration have room for improvement.

I used the Nutanix products in a Proof-of-Concept (POC) that we did for addressing performance issues for a Splunk installation. One of the issues was trying to get high I/O performance using VMware guests. Nutanix provided us with a possible solution for our needs. As a result, I was only exposed to the solution for about two to three months during the POC.

With the assistance of a Nutanix resource, we had very little issues with the deployment of the hardware. Our biggest technical hurdle was the networking requirements in order to provide adequate bandwidth for the product.

We did not encounter any stability issues.

We did not encounter an issues with scalability.

I was very pleased with the level of customer service and support provided during the POC.

The Nutanix resources provided to us were very knowledgeable about the product.

This was a POC to look for a solution, but we did not have an equivalent solution in place.

The setup was complex and required Nutanix to provide a resource to assist with it. The networking requirements, storage/file system layout and rack space layout added to the level of complexity.

Nutanix provided a vendor team to assist with all facets of the POC implementation.

As this was a POC there was no cost involved.

No other products were being reviewed at the time of this POC but we chose not to implement it.

What other advice do I have?

This solution has many advantages, but comes with a cost in dollars and complexity, so make sure you are thorough in your requirements, and that this product meets and exceeds all your short term and long term needs, including your budget.

Download our free Nutanix Acropolis AOS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.