HA
Senior IT Consultant
Open-source virtualization that works with Linux and the installation is easy

• "It has a vs switch for the people who know Linux, in case it's easier for them to use AHV than it is to use VMware."
  • "There is no web interface with AHV."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for virtualization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is open-source. Also, the customization for Linux VMs is good.

It has a vs switch for the people who know Linux, in case it's easier for them to use AHV than it is to use VMware.

What needs improvement?

VMware has a vSphere client GUI and currently, AHV is command line only.

AHV is easy for people who are administrators of Linux and Unix, but it's not easy for a normal user who connects using a web interface.

There is no web interface with AHV. It would be great if they could provide a web interface.

There is no dashboard, it works only with Nutanix Prism.

I come from the world of Unix and the only thing that customer is asking for is the web interface.

I have been using Nutanix AHV since 2015.

It's a stable solution.

Nutanix is very scalable, you can go to unlimited nodes.

The initial setup is easy and straightforward. You click and you install.

With one click it installs all, including AHV and all of the Nutanix software.

There is an Excel spreadsheet where you put the IP addresses, then you go to the Nutanix installer GUI, click, wait an hour and everything is up.

AHV is free, it's an open-source solution.

What other advice do I have?

We use many solutions with Nutanix. We use Nutanix AHV, Nutanix CVM, Nutanix Calm, and more.

For normal users, they need a web interface, but for users who are more experienced this solution is the best.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

HA
Senior IT Consultant
Can go to unlimited nodes, is customizable, and open-source

• "Nutanix AHV is very scalable. It can go to unlimited nodes."
  • "There is no web interface for AHV."

What is most valuable?

The features that I've found most valuable are that it is customized like Linux KVM and it is open-source for people who know Linux. It's easier for them to use AHV than MWeb. Plus, AHV is free. For Linux people it's easy and also it's free.

What needs improvement?

As for any improvements, the only thing the customer has been asking for is that it should be like VMware where they have the Vsphere Client, whereas in AHV there is only Command-line. It's like AHV Client Web. AHV is easy for people who are administrators of Linux Unix but it's not easy for normal users who like to connect using a web interface because there is no web interface for AHV. It would be great if they could provide an actual web interface. The dashboard works only in Prism.

I have been using Nutanix AHV since 2015.

It is a stable solution.

Nutanix AHV is very scalable. It can go to unlimited nodes.

In terms of initial setup, Nutanix is a one-click install and it installs all AHV and all Nutanix software, everything. There is an Excel sheet where you put the IP addresses, then you go to the GUI of the Nutanix installer, it's one click and everything is up.

What other advice do I have?

We have many customers using AHV.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate it a nine because it needs a web interface.

Learn what your peers think about Nutanix AHV. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sudhakar Kamath
Tech Head at Micropoint Computers Pvt Ltd
User-friendly, useful virtual machine backups, and simple install process

• "The solution is user-friendly and provides good virtual machine backups. The user interface gets updated when there is a new release."
  • "The solution could improve the call logging system to HPE, it is a bit tedious."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Nutanix AHV for creating various production virtual machines and providing access to our customers.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve the call logging system to HPE, it is a bit tedious.

I have been using this solution for approximately four years.

The stability of the solution is excellent.

If I want to add one or two new nodes in the next three years, it is done very easily by installing the latest available hypervisor. Alternatively, I can upgrade the existing hypervisor.

We use paid support for the solution.

The installation process is straightforward.

The price of the solution is fair and if you want support there are additional fees.

One of the main benefits of HPE products is when they are providing you a warranty or guarantee of, for example,  three years or five years, the product will work for seven to eight years. This is the most beautiful advantage for HPE products.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Nutanix AHV a ten out of ten.