Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Multiple automations and self-explanatory dashboards have enabled the overall operations load on my team to come down considerably

• "Moreover, the deployment process was so easy and smooth that post rack and stack and management IP configuration, it just took less than 2 days to configure the cluster of 40 nodes, upgrade the firmware, create file service and VM space and integrate with our infrastructure."
  • "It will be better if they can extend this to non-AHV hypervisors and also non-Nutanix clusters so that people who need this feature but can not goto HCI currently can make use of this product."

What is our primary use case?

We have two different clusters in the environment one is an all flash cluster of 40 nodes and other one is a hybrid cluster of 4 nodes and are on the way to introduce another all flash cluster of 9 nodes in the environment. All the clusters have VMs as well as file servers hosted in them.

Managing multiple clusters with mix of VMs and file servers by logging into multiple console will lead to additional operations overhead and also can cause delay in incident resolution as operations team will have to login to particular management console and carry out the remediation activities.

How has it helped my organization?

First of all, the product is very stable. We did not see any breakages happen due to product misbehavior.

Thanks to multiple automations and self-explanatory dashboards, the overall operations load on my team has come down considerably. On top of this, since we are utilizing the Files feature also from both of our clusters, it is easing out the management overhead in that layer as well.

Though the console is highly sensitive about any small alerts, which makes the dashboard through many alerts even for one single issue with the server, network, or connectivity, it is always better to have alerts even for small things than having no alert at all.

One more thing to notice is the strong customer support team that Nutanix has. In the initial days when we were not familiar with this technology, we had raised many support requests and they helped us with all of them with outputting them into non-an issue buckets which we have seen many large enterprises do.

What is most valuable?

Reporting features in the console is so self-explanatory that even a non-IT person in the office can also understand it. Our finance users have access to this console and they will get the consumption details without having any dependency on us. Also, this dashboard is extended to our NOC team who will be able to interpret the alerts and decide on what to inform us whenever an alert pops up.

Moreover, the deployment process was so easy and smooth that post rack and stack and management IP configuration, it just took less than 2 days to configure the cluster of 40 nodes, upgrade the firmware, create file service and VM space and integrate with our infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

From an AHV point of view, I look for the feature of setting a limit for the memory allocation for individual VMs. This will help in providing higher memory to VMs for users who always ask or more and more memory but end us not using it causing other needy to be deprived of it. It will be better if they can extend this to non-AHV hypervisors and also non-Nutanix clusters so that people who need this feature but can not goto HCI currently can make use of this product.

Also, I believe they should take a relook into their licensing model to adopt to the current situation.

We have been using this from last 1 year.

From my past 1 year experience I can say that the product is very stable.

I would recommend keeping the cluster to smaller number of members which will help in faster maintenance and upgradation activities.

We use VMware in 3 tier architecture deployments. This was the first HCI deployment in our department.

It took less than 2 days to setup the cluster of 40 nodes. So need not say anything separately about the ease of deployment.

We took Lenovo professional services team support for this deployment and they are good at it.

1 year is too short term to recover the ROI.

This will be a better fit in the age of hybrid cloud and with Nutanix adding more and more products in its offering, soon Nutanix will become a complete package to run IT. So it will be easy to scale and add modules as and when needed.

We evaluated Horizon, Cisco Hyperflex along with Nutanix.

Microsoft Azure
Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Simple user interface, easy administrator management, and straightforward installation

• "The most valuable features of Nutanix Prism Pro are the user interface is quite easy to understand and it provides easy management for administrators."
  • "Nutanix, as of today, they do not have many of the features that VMware hypervisor provides, such as the memory layer."

What is our primary use case?

We have been using this solution mainly for our high-performance computing use cases. We had a requirement of creating multiple VMs and keeping the file server in the same nearby location. The VMs will turn all the data and their inputs and outputs will happen through the file server. We wanted something that supports virtual machine files, blocks, from a storage point of view.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Nutanix Prism Pro are the user interface is quite easy to understand and it provides easy management for administrators. It is reassuring that the data is secure, even if something was to happen to it, the data can be recovered with the built-in option in the tool.

What needs improvement?

Nutanix, as of today, they do not have many of the features that VMware hypervisor provides, such as the memory layer. Nutanix is not known in the virtualization world, it is known only in the file server world. Due to this, many of the software vendors who provide their virtual appliances, do not support Nutanix as a platform. Their partnering has to improve, when the software vendor does not support Nutanix, we have to deploy Windows into the projects.

The solution could improve by reducing the alarm sensitivity and have categories that show only the critical elements on the console. Not everything that triggers the alarm. I understand these alerts but if my manager was to look at them he would be concerned not understanding they are minor alerts.

Additionally, if they could make templates to allow the provision of the images from the dashboards, instead of doing multiple steps would be a good benefit.

I have been using this solution for approximately two years.

The solution has high file and server availability, it is very stable. We had an incident with our data, due to the data getting corrupted from an endpoint issue, not from an infrastructure problem. However, through a server snapshot file, we were able to recover more than 20 terabytes of data in this solutions' native features. We did not need to obtain any other recent configuration transform data, the feature was already provided. This was really helpful.

We have scaled Nutanix Prism Pro at least 300 percent after deploying it and we are still not at the bottleneck point. Our current footprint is quite large, we are not seeing any challenges. However, each cluster will have to be kept at a finite number. If the cluster size should is too big, your maintenance window will increase for a very long time. If you can keep cluster size to a minimum, then it will be easy for you. For example, if you have a hundred node cluster and have to do maintenance, then the patching will be happening on a single node layer. Patching all the servers one by one will take too much time for us. It makes sense, in the design phase, to keep those clusters to a smaller figure, approximately 20 nodes.

We have purchased Lenovo appliances. Due to this, our primary call for support has to go to Lenovo, and then they will pass us off to Nutanix. We cannot raise a call directly with Nutanix for assistance.

The initial installation was straightforward. We brought up the whole cluster in approximately two days.

We had peer support from the OEM vendors for the deployment.

The solution is a bit high in price for what we are receiving as features. I feel they are overcharging us at approximately 25 percent. That is something that they should change.

We explored Horizon, Cisco, HP, and many others. However, Nutanix won because the file server layer of Nutanix is more mature compared to the other competitors.

What other advice do I have?

Nutanix Prism Pro is a good tool but is not for every use case, there will be a few constraints that might not make it become a single layer but it can be one of your hypervisor layers in your infrastructure.

I rate Nutanix Prism Pro an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Nutanix Prism Pro. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,382 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Administrator and Sr. VMware Engineer at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
Offers an extremely intuitive interface, but at the same time it manages to offer a level of control over all the underlying infrastructure that no other product provides

• "One of the great advantages is that it offers an extremely intuitive interface, but at the same time it manages to offer a level of control over all the underlying infrastructure that no other product provides. Options like One-CLick Update make the tool worthwhile on its own, as well as detailed performance metrics for each component in real time."
  • "Perhaps the only point I see as an improvement would be the support of multiple languages ​​in the environment. One of the few things within which I see an improvement point could be the inclusion of multilanguage in the environment."

What is our primary use case?

I currently use Prism in my work. All of our work is done within this environment as we also use AHV as the primary hypervisor. It was a resounding change since we migrated from vSphere and vCenter as a truly incredible level of simplification is achieved. One of the great advantages of Prism is its vision at a glance of our entire environment, be it a cluster of three or four nodes or hundreds of them. Finding what you are looking for or visualizing a problem is just a matter of a few clicks, so simple.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the great advantages is that it offers an extremely intuitive interface, but at the same time it manages to offer a level of control over all the underlying infrastructure that no other product provides. Options like One-CLick Update make the tool worthwhile on its own, as well as detailed performance metrics for each component in real-time. Its use is fantastic and managed to improve the response times of our IT department, optimize their tasks, achieve more free time to carry out other tasks, and really focus on what is important in the business. Other solutions spend a lot of time setting up an environment that, like Prism, should include everything you need to operate efficiently.

What is most valuable?

As I mentioned earlier, One-CLick Update, the dynamic monitoring of the entire environment, its simplified search, and all the reporting functions it offers to allow for really complete and neat infrastructure management. All of the additional features included allow for a very advanced level of general understanding. Virtually nothing can escape us working with the tool since every small detail (for example, an IOPS level outside of normal) can be analyzed in detail, generate an automatic report and send it to our team to immediately deal with it.

What needs improvement?

Perhaps the only point I see as an improvement would be the support of multiple languages ​​in the environment. One of the few things within which I see an improvement point could be the inclusion of multilanguage in the environment. Although it is extremely intuitive and everything is seen in a totally clear way, for some people who do not use English as the main language, it would be interesting to achieve a translation. I am not saying that it is in hundreds of languages ​​or alphabets, but if for example Spanish could be used. This would bring advantages to the Spanish-speaking world that is not used to English.

I have been using Nutanix Prism Pro for two years.

The stability in all Nutanix software is really perfect.

Scalability is one of the intrinsic characteristics of environments. It is a perfect web scale model

Technical support is the jewel of Nutanix and its products. There is no other company with this level of response and quality after Apple.

We previously used rackable servers and VMware as core software along with vSPhere as hypervisor. We switched to Nutanix hardware and its free, native hypervisor AHV, which is really cool.

The initial configuration of the entire environment and its tools was practically invisible. The learning curve does not exist, literally.

The implementation was in-house. Zero problems

In our case, the ROI was only 11 months.

It is essential to take into account the licensing terms. In this regard, Nutanix offers options that allow licensing for much longer terms than the competition and that is a great advantage.

Before using this product we evaluated vxRail as a solution, but economic aspects and compatibility problems made us go for Nutanix and its environment.

What other advice do I have?

Undoubtedly a world-class solution in the administration of hyperconverged environments.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
reviewer1439679
VoIP Specialist / Network Technician at Luminet Solutions Inc.
Requires little to no maintenance in order to successfully offer a stable service to our clientele

• "Nutanix Prism Pro and Nutanix AOS have greatly improved our organization by providing a reliable and simple solution that requires little to no maintenance in order to successfully offer a stable service to our clientele, as opposed to the competitors."
  • "I do, however, wish that the cluster would come preinstalled with the OS, as ours did not, and it took quite a bit of tinkering, trial and error, calls to Nutanix support, and an ample amount of time to figure out how to get everything up and running."

What is our primary use case?

Our company is a telephony provider for small/medium-size businesses, as well as large scale enterprises. Our primary use of Nutanix Prism Pro is for virtualization of cloud-based Private Branch Exchange (PBX) VoIP/SIP compatible systems that are privately accessible to our clients over the internet. We use Prism for the creation and management of virtual machines for customer use as well as for configuring backup solutions for the systems that we offer. It is one of our main tools for what we offer.

How has it helped my organization?

Nutanix Prism Pro and Nutanix AOS have greatly improved our organization by providing a reliable and simple solution that requires little to no maintenance in order to successfully offer a stable service to our clientele, as opposed to the competitors.

For the approximate two years that we have been using this solution, we have not once had an instance where we were left inoperable or non-functional due to the integrated high availability features that are integrated with the product. Even among experiencing hardware failures, we were able to function as if nothing had happened and we could seamlessly repair or replace key components without customers even realizing that there was ever an issue.

What is most valuable?

The features I have found the most useful are the health checks, extremely fast snapshots/restores, and the high availability service.

The dashboard for Prism Pro is extremely elegant, powerful, and simple, with everything needed at a glance, including but not limited to, the health status of the cluster, the operational state of your environment (in our case virtual machines), and ease of navigation through fields that are less common, but none the less necessary such as disk imaging and simple one-click upgrades.

What needs improvement?

There is not much to say in this regard. The system is very feature-rich and if it cannot be taken care of in the Prism GUI then it definitely can be in the ACLI.

I do, however, wish that the cluster would come preinstalled with the OS, as ours did not, and it took quite a bit of tinkering, trial and error, calls to Nutanix support, and an ample amount of time to figure out how to get everything up and running. I feel as though this can be greatly improved by providing more documentation and instructions if the system does not come preinstalled with any OS.

We have been using this solution for just over two years.

A1! As I said in one of my previous statements, even in the midst of a critical hardware failure, the solution was able to carry on as if nothing happened due to the way the High Availability feature functions.

The sky is the limit with the scalability of this solution, new nodes and cluster integrate seamlessly and quickly.

Yes, the previous solution that we had used was VMWare ESXi. While it is one of the more popular Hypervisors, it is not nearly as intuitive, or even in the same range of power as Nutanix.

The initial setup was complex initially due to the lack of the base operating system being installed on the cluster.

We implemented in-house.

It is hard for me to speculate on ROI as I am not deeply rooted in the financial aspect of our company, I would estimate that we hit our ROI a year after integrating this product.

While Nutanix can seem more expensive initially than the competition, the return on investment is much faster and all in all, very much worth the price.

We also evaluated Microsoft Hyper-V, Citrix, KVM, and a new ESXi solution on newer hardware.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
reviewer1383786
Senior Technical Analyst / Infrastructure Admin at Interfor Corp
The File feature enables us to share files without a server and it can replicate the changes by using a built-in replication tool

• "It's easy to transfer data and synch up the change and manage/monitor from a single point. Backup is much easier too."
  • "I still remember it was a struggle when we configured the initial network setup, that part was a little bit confusing about how exactly it works, we have two different Nutanix technicians who were on-site to help on the configuration. But both of them could not get right the first time, and we had to reset and start over again on both systems."

What is our primary use case?

We had large testing VM servers environment on Cisco UCS with Nimble storage, and we have a large Dev environment on Azure. We have a hard time monitoring and managing both environments. And we end up paying lots of money for both. After talking to Nutanix, we ordered 8 nodes, setup and we migrated most of our Dev/Test VM servers back from Azure back in-house. We use Prism to manage all of them from single point of view, have overall picture of our whole environment. The dashboard is the best spot we check and keep it on our screen every day.

How has it helped my organization?

We had a test VM environment on Cisco UCS and Dev environment on Azure. From time to time, we need to transfer a large amount of data from one to another. And we have to spin up a different set of test/dev environment, which was challenging. We had many struggles with VM updates and configuration synch up. Since migrating to Nutanix, we have a single virtual platform for both test and Dev virtual environment. It's easy to transfer data and synch up the change and manage/monitor from a single point. Backup is much easier too.

What is most valuable?

• Update management for all nodes, which included in it and it is straightforward and visual upgrade processes.
  • Calm is another good feature we are looking at to use the playbook to manage all VMs. We are likely to give a trial on that.
  • File is a cool feature that allows you to share files like windows server but actually without a server and it can replicate the changes by using a build-in replication tool. I can snapshot the shared data and the user can restore the files by themselves if needed, which saves lots of effort of SD.

What needs improvement?

I still remember it was a struggle when we configured the initial network setup, that part was a little bit confusing about how exactly it works, we have two different Nutanix technicians who were on-site to help on the configuration. But both of them could not get right the first time, and we had to reset and start over again on both systems. Even after that, I was still a little bit confused about the virtual network and how each item was configured to work. I would think why do not have a single virtual IP and webpage to guide on that, or sort of wizard to guide through it.

I have been using Nutanix Prism Pro for two years.

It is a very easy and stable solution, we have not had any issues.

It is very easy to scale out, you can just keep adding node to have more capacity, and mange from the same prism.

Support is good. But we do not use them much.

We used Cisco UCS with Nimble storage which was over the capacity, then we got some VMs on the Azure, which we have to manage separately. So we moved everything to 8 nodes Nutanix and manage from a single point.

The setup is straightforward. Only the initial network setup is a little bit confusing.

We deployed mostly in house, but we have help from Nutanix engineer. They are very good.

The ROI is better than what we have on Azure and UCS.

The set cost is very minimal, the Nutanix pricing is good too. The file licensing should be bound into the system already.

Yes, because the UCS is close to end of life, we tried to move to Azure, but the cost skyrocketed.

reviewer1386768
Network Engineer at North Vancouver School District #44
The Capacity Runway feature analyzes trends from the past and predicts future growth

• "Prism Pro has given us a central administration of our entire virtual environment. Everything can be managed and updated through Prism. Being able to turn features on and off with one slide of the mouse is such a great feature. It allows us to manage storage and containers as well as the actual machines through one pane of glass. No need for any additional software. Pulse is in my opinion is one of the best features. Having the cluster monitor itself and notify support of any issues is a plus plus."
  • "I would like to see a P2V feature like Move or Xtract. The interface for migrating from one VM infrastructure to another is one of the best but going from a physical machine to a Nutanix VM is a bit too challenging."

What is our primary use case?

We leverage virtualization most of all. Prior to this, we had 5 virtual hosts using 4 SANs and dedicated network resources. Our back up solution for this was also a bit clunky as we had to back everything up daily so we had a disaster recovery in the event that we lost a SAN due to hardware failure. Our hardware had aged us and was in need of replacing. Having 4 nodes in our cluster allows us to have replication and if 1 node fails that is no data loss but in an entire san fails that falls into disaster territory

How has it helped my organization?

Prism Pro has given us a central administration of our entire virtual environment. Everything can be managed and updated through Prism. Being able to turn features on and off with one slide of the mouse is such a great feature. It allows us to manage storage and containers as well as the actual machines through one pane of glass. No need for any additional software. Pulse is in my opinion is one of the best features. Having the cluster monitor itself and notify support of any issues is a plus plus.

What is most valuable?

Customizable Dashboard allows each admin to have things the way they like. Admins can just add the features they use most and remove the ones they don't. Alerts and tasks are easy to see and access.

Capacity Runway which shows us behavior trends. We can analyze trends from the past and predict future growth. It can also address potential capacity issues in the future based on past growth. This also includes the VM behavioral learning engine which allows us to plan for future growth at the single VM level. This is helpful in preventing over or under-provisioned VM's

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a P2V feature like Move or Xtract. The interface for migrating from one VM infrastructure to another is one of the best but going from a physical machine to a Nutanix VM is a bit too challenging. Especially if you are migrating a busy SQL server to Nutanix. No matter how you convert this you will lose transactions done during the actual migration. This can also be a bit challenging when trying to upload the disk images after converting the disks P2V. Uploading is primarily done via a browser. Most browsers cannot upload files in the TB area. There are ways but nothing straight forward. This really needs to be addressed in the future.

I have been using Nutanix Prism Pro for almost three years.

We used a different product but the annual was adding up and our equipment was due for replacement. Nutanix was a little expensive for the initial outlay but when added up over a few years in made financial sense.

The only advice I give people is to make sure you understand your support contract with your vender. If you buy direct from Nutanix then you deal direct with Nutanix support. If you buy from a vender such as Dell you must go through Dell support. Then Dell support contacts Nutanix support and it gets a bit messy in my opinion

We were a VMware environment and looked at HyperV.

Matt Scanzano
VoIP Specialist / Network Technician at Luminet Solutions Inc.
An effective dashboard and good support help to simplify and speed up our backup and recovery processes

• "It has cut down our maintenance time significantly and simplified our processes for backups."
  • "I would appreciate more advanced networking features in the dashboard."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case to date has been hosting virtual machines of public branch exchanges (PBX) and Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) for our customers' Voice Over IP (VoIP) cloud-based telephone systems.

We currently focus on two PBXs that have performed quite well on Nutanix Prism Pro: Asterisk/FreePBX and 3CX. We are also in the process of implementing cloud-based security systems for our clients and expanding to also offer desktop as a service so that our clients can fully implement a bring-your-own-device policy for their offices.

How has it helped my organization?

Nutanix Prism Pro has improved the way that we manage our systems due to the way that the solution is built. Hyper-converged Infrastructure offers us the speed and reliability that is very much needed in our type of environment.

We have had situations before where we have to restore a customers VM on the fly due to bad management of the client, where they would actually break the system and with our old solution, restoring could take upwards of two hours, whereas now, it takes a maximum of 10 seconds.

What is most valuable?

There are two specific things that stand out to me in terms of what I find most valuable in this product. Number one, how simple and effective the dashboard is at laying out everything that is needed at a glance. Whether it be checking the health of your clusters and nodes or seeing the state of all of your VMs, the information is right in front of you when logging in.

Second, the support for the product is absolutely amazing. Of all of the times that we required assistance for our Nutanix cluster, Nutanix support has been there no matter the time. So far, every support engineer has been a pleasure to work with.

What needs improvement?

I would appreciate more advanced networking features in the dashboard. There seems to be a lack of GUI functionality for creating/modifying features such as LACP and VXLAN. While these features can be configured, it can only be done via the CLI of your CVM/Cluster and it can be quite a hassle. GUI implementation for these features would really strengthen the product immensely.

I would also appreciate a dashboard that allows for more customization. I would love to be able to eliminate information that I don't consider crucial from the dashboard and/or have the ability to focus on more essential things (such as network utilization) for our use.

We have been using Nutanix Prism Pro for almost three years.

We previously used ESXi. We switched because we found that there was constant maintenance needed for our VSANs and it was quite cumbersome.

While the product may seem to be more expensive at first, it ultimately pays for itself within a short time frame due to the hours saved on maintenance.

We evaluated multiple options before choosing Nutanix. These included Citrix, Hyper-V, and Zen.

reviewer1386345
Techical Lead at Aristocrat Technologies
improves the quality and efficiency of IT operations for the modern datacenter

• "Nutanix Prism Pro improves the quality and efficiency of IT operations for the modern datacenter. Powered by the machine learning and task automation, Prism Pro intelligently optimizes capacity, proactively detects performance anomalies, and enables the IT team to automate operations tasks with ease and confidence."
  • "I think the Prism Center needs to include more functions. I know that they're including the Nutanix Era, which is the database management and disaster recovery tool. I think that Era should include everything on a single tool where you can manage everything you need inside your organization."

What is our primary use case?

I know very well that when I was started with my organization with VMware Hypervisor solution for virtualization but we were facing very frequent and unforeseen issues with VMware and due to this outage on hosted services and servers means end-user productivity loss and indirectly loss on the business.

Then later on time, we came to know about the Nutanix and its interesting features, and the HA features attracted to us to use the Nutanix as a hypervisor solution in our company.

Now when we are using, our lives have been easy

How has it helped my organization?

Nutanix Prism Pro improves the quality and efficiency of IT operations for the modern datacenter. Powered by the machine learning and task automation, Prism Pro intelligently optimizes capacity, proactively detects performance anomalies, and enables the IT team to automate operations tasks with ease and confidence.

Prism Pro includes a powerful application and VM-centric capacity forecast, planning, and optimization engine powered by Nutanix’s X-Fit and X-Play technologies. Prism Pro enables smart IT operation and automation by optimizing capacity intelligently, monitoring and resolving anomalies proactively, and automating remediation and operations tasks

What is most valuable?

Prism Pro’s X-Play links intelligent signals with automated actions. With a few clicks, the IT team can automate their day-to-day operational tasks. They can build automation and improve the productivity of the operation with ease and confidence and zero coding

Using X-Play, the IT team can create playbooks for common remediation or troubleshooting steps. Those playbooks can be triggered automatically based on the alert polices along with predictive monitoring based on behavioral analysis to generate actionable signals and provide early warnings

What needs improvement?

In our company, Nutanix Hypervisor (AOS) is not fully operational for some things just because of what products & services offered to our end customers we tested but we found that it is as of now not supported. We are only allowed to use VMware, but I use AOS. I think the Prism Center needs to include more functions. I know that they're including the Nutanix Era, which is the database management and disaster recovery tool. I think that Era should include everything on a single tool where you can manage everything you need inside your organization.

It could maybe have better documentation. Nutanix does have really good documentation, but it could have more details in the future.

It has been more than four hours approximately.

We used VMware, we switched just to make our life easy and work-life balance.

Nutanix is the best product in HCI solution & cost & pricing is very less what other solutions available in the market.

What other advice do I have?

Keep improving and including customer demands and make nutanix more powerful HCI solution.

Download our free Nutanix Prism Pro Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.