Nutanix Prism OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Nutanix Prism is #4 ranked solution in top Virtualization Management Tools. IT Central Station users give Nutanix Prism an average rating of 8 out of 10. Nutanix Prism is most commonly compared to Zabbix:Nutanix Prism vs Zabbix. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 34% of all views.
What is Nutanix Prism?

Nutanix makes infrastructure invisible, elevating IT to focus on the applications and services that power their business. The Nutanix enterprise cloud platform leverages web-scale engineering and consumer-grade design to natively converge compute, virtualization and storage into a resilient, software-defined solution with rich machine intelligence. The result is predictable performance, cloud-like infrastructure consumption, robust security, and seamless application mobility for a broad range of enterprise applications.

Download the Virtualization Management Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Nutanix Prism Customers

JetBlue, International Speedway Corporation, SAIC Volkswagen

Nutanix Prism Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Nutanix Prism pricing:
  • "This product is cheaper than using VMware."
  • "Compared to VMware, the price of this solution is great."

Nutanix Prism Reviews

Vishwambhar Bandal
Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Simple to upgrade, no downtime, and the performance flow charts are excellent

• "The Clone and Snapshot features are two of the most valuable aspects of the solution for our organization. Rather than simply one-click automation the Snapshot and reverse Snapshot are great."
  • "The solution could be a bit more user-friendly. The dashboard and configuration should be much easier to use."

What is most valuable?

Nutanix Prism is awesome. It's a simple upgrade. There is no downtime and all. There is never any worry about upgrading the solution. It's a very good product.

The Clone and Snapshot features are two of the most valuable aspects of the solution for our organization. Rather than simply one-click automation the Snapshot and reverse Snapshot are great.

The performance flow chart is excellent. I can find out about the performance levels and all the metrics are right there for us. If we were to go to VMware we would have to deploy the vrOPs etc. You're able to see the chart and utilization screen and performance monitoring, all those things. So this is good, rather than VMware vSAN technology.

The solution offers good production.

What needs improvement?

The migration from Nutanix to other platforms, like VMware and hypervisor, needs improvement. That is a difficult task right now, because we cannot run the two separately. It's a bit tricky.

I've been using the solution for six to eight months.

The solution is stable. It's been quite reliable for us. We haven't had any issues with it.

The solution is scalable. We don't have any issues with that.

We've only had one issue previously and it was a hardware failure. We made a support ticket and they were able to assist.

The initial setup is not complex. It's quite straightforward.

Deployment took us one day. We were done with the installation quite quickly.

We handled the installation ourselves, along with the assistance of a Nutanix partner engineer.

Nutanix's partner was there at the data center along with us. I went through some Nutanix training as well. This was about five days and by the end, I was well-versed in deployment and other processes. We didn't face any difficulty. We knew how to face configurations and charts, etc.

Before choosing this solution we looked avSAN technology and HPE SimpliVity. We were also looking at Dell VxRail as well.

What other advice do I have?

We aren't using the latest version of the solution. It might be the latest minus one. The bank always goes for a minus version and not the latest version because of some compliance-related issues related to bank policies.

I'd recommend the solution. It's quite good. As an alternative, VxRail is also a good option.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. I'm very happy with this product. My workload is currently running on production on a Nutanix box, and it is working absolutely fine. There are no issues. It offers good performance and optimization. It's resilient.

Mohammed Khorshed  Alam
Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable and easy to manage with good pricing

• "The pricing is very good if you compare it to other competitors."
  • "It would be ideal if there was more of a community around the solution so that it would be easier to learn things about the solution from other users."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our government agency. They use the solution to provide support recruitment, job solutions, and job vacancy training, etc.

What is most valuable?

The logs on the solution are excellent. It gives us very good visibility.

The solution is fairly easy to use. Especially compared to other solutions, Nutanix is very easy to manage.

The pricing is very good if you compare it to other competitors.

The solution is stable.

What needs improvement?

I'm still learning about the solution. I haven't explored the entire solution just yet.

The life expectancy of the solution should be improved.

We've had hardware compatibility issues.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The solution is reliable and stable. Thre aren't bugs and glitches or crashes of any kind. It also doesn't freeze up or stop working.

It's isn't very difficult to scale the solution. I would say this solution expands well and quite easily if a company needs to grow it out.

For me, technical support has been good. They are easy to reach and knowledgeable.

It would be good, for people like me trying to learn the system, if there was a bigger community that surrounded the product itself to help with questions I have about general usage and capabilities.

I joined the organization in January. I am unsure as to what solution was used previously.

The initial setup was difficult for us. When I tried to download it, there was a hardware compatibility issue I had to deal with.

I'm not sure how long deployment takes. I handle the maintenance myself. I'm a senior systems engineer.

Compared to competitors in the space, it's less expensive. The pricing is pretty decent.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution.

We're not a direct customer of Nutanix. We mostly handle support of the solution.

I'm still learning about the resolution. I'm going through training manuals and picking up what I can.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. Overall, it's been good. I'm still getting used to it though.

Find out what your peers are saying about Nutanix, VMware, Dell EMC and others in Virtualization Management Tools. Updated: November 2021.
554,382 professionals have used our research since 2012.
ShadabBatlawala
VMware Administrator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good support, competitively-priced, and fast performance

• "Nutanix Prism is very fast compared to VMware and whatever you need to do, you can do it quickly."
  • "Nutanix does not support all of the Linux distributions, so we have to use VMware in some cases."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Nutanix Prism with our Linux systems.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The only issue with Nutanix is that when you want to take a snapshot, you have to power down and then back up, which creates a short period of downtime. This is a negative point for Nutanix because, in our environment, downtime is not something that we get easily. VMware does not have this issue.

I would like to have more control from Prism so that you can control everything from there, as it does with vCenter.

I have been working with Nutanix for the past two years.

There is a limitation when it comes to scalability. We have a lot of tools in our environment so the resources are at about 80% capacity. In order to add more tools, we have to add another node and move the VM into another cluster. This will create downtime. Currently, we have 14 nodes.

Nutanix technical support is very good. You just log a call, they respond, and you can easily get support.

I used VMware for six years but I am now more comfortable with Nutanix. Nutanix Prism is cheaper in price and they are very supportive.

The initial setup is straightforward. I would not say that it is tough, or complex, but rather a very easy setup.

This product is cheaper than using VMware.

What other advice do I have?

Nowadays, I recommend that people use Nutanix Prism. I have been using Nutanix for two years and feel that it is very good compared to VMware. I spent six years working with VMware and am more comfortable with Nutanix. They are very supportive.

My only complaints about Nutanix are that downtime is required more often and the issue with resource limitations when clustering.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Rony Chamoun
Technical Lead at BMB
Enables use of multiple operating systems; data duplication and compression work in a hybrid solution

• "Duplication and compression work for data in a hybrid solution."
  • "No integration of commands to manage AHV."

What is our primary use case?

We are a company that provides services to our clients so the solution is not deployed in our company. I've deployed Nutanix in multiple environments. When deploying Nutanix, Prism is installed automatically when you create a cluster. It assists in monitoring and managing the solution.

We're service providers, selling and deploying the solution to our customers. We partner with Nutanix and I'm a technical leader.

What is most valuable?

It's helpful that you can create virtual machines using Prism, you can upgrade and replicate the firmware between two different sites using Prism Element, it's not only for monitors. The duplication and compression are good features because they also work for data in a hybrid solution. Without that, compression and duplication require a whole flash stick which increases the cost. With Nutanix it can be done even if you use a hybrid solution. You can also use multiple operating systems with Nutanix.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved if you combined Nutanix with AHV, because when you install Prism to manage AHV, there are a lot of commands. It might be better to integrate the commands with Prism and that would enable Prism to manage AHV. This is not currently in the command line.

I've been using this solution for two years.

Initially we had some issues with bugs in NTP because all of the environments use NTP servers with Windows not Linux. Regular maintenance of the solution requires one person.

The technical support at Nutanix is excellent, they've been extremely helpful.

The initial setup is very straightforward, you can deploy it in two hours, create a cluster with three nodes and with an operating system installed on it within two hours.

What other advice do I have?

This is a great product, easy to deploy and very stable. Even if you are using VMware or Hyper V or AHV on Nutanix, it's very stable.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
SALVATORE LABONIA
Solutions Architect at ITD
Good storage flexibility and linear scalability, but high relative cost

• "The features that I have found most valuable are its storage flexibility, linear scalability, and perhaps ease of use and powerful support."
  • "The cost is a negative aspect."

What is our primary use case?

Our main activities with Nutanix Prism are server and desktop virtualization.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are its storage flexibility, linear scalability, and perhaps ease of use and powerful support.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved or simplified, they have an active software as a business continuity using Acropolis Hypervisor with the Syncro Disaster recovery, and they have made a good improvement with live upgrade with the LCM, but I would say there should be additional improvements on the live upgrade.

In the next release, I think it should have the integration monitor from a server component because I have some issues with the integration with the third party monitoring tool. I would also like to see additional improvements in the dashboard.

I have been using Nutanix Prism for three years.

Yes, it is stable, but there is a good support team in case of a problem.

The initial setup is a one click deployment. 70% of the time I did the setup I made the automatic discovery installation field and the majority of times I did a manual installation. The automatic installation is quick, but the majority of times I did it I needed to swap it from automatic to manual which required a lot of additional activities. They have good support, but it was a time consuming activity.

We are also working with competing products - VMware VxRail and Sangfor which is a Chinese product, which is much cheaper because of its poor market share. It was a product with less experience and less functionality, but it was much cheaper. So Nutanix costs a lot, but it has ease of use, ease due to having a lot of the market share, has a lot of features, and has continuous improvement, but the cost is a negative aspect.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Nutanix Prism a seven. It can be improved.

Erwing Izquierdo Morales
Data Center Coordinator at Vocem
The server is self-managed in an efficient way, it solves possible logical errors to maintain production without interruptions

• "Everything has been valuable, without a doubt the server is self-managed with Prism in an efficient way, it solves possible logical errors to maintain production without interruptions, it's great."
  • "Each era every year, new economies arise and ways to develop the platform to improve both the interface with the end-user and to make the main load more flexible to the specialized user of the platform."

How has it helped my organization?

With this solution, the company stood out in its operations 100% for the reliability of the equipment, the speed, and the comfort of the base user to handle the applications. This solution gave us agility and security for the operating personnel, effective backup in the event of disasters, communication is extremely fast. One of the main needs of the company was to be fast in writing and reading data in storage, prioritizing the disks that is more frequent to use, and Nutanix Pro is very clear.

So our efforts with clients are 100% effective.

What is most valuable?

A professional who is starting his career in this environment or scope would be very easy because everything is guided and thought logically to be understood quickly, in addition to having excellent support with immediate solutions.

From any point of view, business is feasible with Nutanix solutions is a win-win.

What needs improvement?

It seems to me that everything is in gear as it should be, every time an update or new package appears it never ceases to amaze me as it helps us with a 100% stable technology, to add something would be to have clear the new needs of the human being. Each era every year, new economies arise and ways to develop the platform to improve both the interface with the end-user and to make the main load more flexible to the specialized user of the platform. Nutanix is ​​at the forefront and changes the paradigm with other providers because it allows simplifying daily work.

We have been using Nutanix Prism for three years.

The evaluation of other options was not carried out, we have that tool and it had to be used 100%.

JigneshGamdha
Enterprise Cloud Architect at Inspira
Multi-access login, simplified management, impressive GUI and dashboard

• "The GUI and the dashboard are impressive. I like that you can modify the GUI and the dashboard as per your requirements."
  • "The automation needs to be improved, as there are several challenges."

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators working on multiple HCI solutions. Our clients are using this solution for single data storage virtualization and computing, which includes centralized reporting. Customers can access these reports, and based on their reports they can go for further upgrades or migrated workloads.

What is most valuable?

The GUI and the dashboard are impressive. I like that you can modify the GUI and the dashboard as per your requirements.

The gateway is a hypervisor and with their hyper-converged platform, customers are free to choose any hardware or comparable hardware.

What needs improvement?

If I am comparing it with VMware, it is still not as compatible. I am not comfortable in working with the automation in Nutanix Prism or the SAN side. The automation needs to be improved, as there are several challenges.

I have been using this solution for more than five years.

The stability is great! It's a very stable platform and overall, the software is very impressive.

This solution is scalable and I haven't experienced any challenges.

We contacted technical support many times during the expansion of the existing cluster. When exporting the cluster there was an error because there was a dependency on the hypervisor. They were able to help us expand the existing platform.

The initial setup is straightforward. The tier one has a six-node cluster and they have expanded to a two-node cluster.

What other advice do I have?

Three important things will minimize the number of people required to run your center.

1. Multi-Access Login.
  2. Simplified Management.
  3. System administration.

I would also suggest going with Prism Pro. You will get more features, and with the Normal Nutanix Prism, you are getting limited features.

MS
Senior System Administrator at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good micro-segmentation, automation, and central management

• "By using virtualization, we are saving on the cost of hardware."
  • "I would like to have some cluster management tools included."

What is our primary use case?

We have several sites that we manage centrally using Nutanix Prism.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are micro-segmentation, automation, and central management between sites. By using virtualization, we are saving on the cost of hardware.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have some cluster management tools included.

I have been using Nutanix Prism for six months.

This solution is stable. We are still in the evaluation stage, but it is being used on a daily basis.

We have two sites, each with three nodes in a cluster. Beyond that, we have not tested scalability.

The technical support from Nutanix is great.

We are currently in the process of migrating from VMware to Nutanix.

The initial setup is easy. Our deployment took three days to complete.

We asked the vendor to support us for our implementation and deployment.

Compared to VMware, the price of this solution is great.

We were looking into using Oracle PCA because one of our main objectives is to have a disaster recovery site on the cloud. This means that what we have installed, and whatever workloads are running, need to be replicated in the cloud. The best choices that we found for this were Oracle PCA, Nutanix, and VMware.

Ultimately, we found some limitations in Oracle PCA. Between Nutanix and VMware, they had similar features but Nutanix is less costly.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this product is a good choice. You get a lot of features at a lower price.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Download our free Virtualization Management Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Nutanix, VMware, Dell EMC, and more!