MA
System Administrator at a insurance company with 201-500 employees
Good technical support, straightforward to set up, and the included hypervisor works well

• "The most valuable features are Prism Central and the Disaster Recovery."
  • "I would like to see the capability to use FC SAN storage."

What is our primary use case?

We use Nutanix Prism to manage our CVMs.

I use this solution occasionally, although not in our production environment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are Prism Central and the Disaster Recovery. These features only come in the platinum edition, as far as I know.

It is flexible because you can use different hypervisors.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the capability to use FC SAN storage. Currently, this technology is not supported.

In our experience, it is stable. Given that we do not use it in a production environment, however, we do not use it on a daily basis.

Nutanix Prism is definitely scalable.

Nutanix is very good when it comes to providing technical support.

We also use NetApp HCI and there are differences between them. For example, in NetApp, the hypervisor is unchangeable and works only with the VMware version. That is one of the disadvantages. On the other hand, NetApp is scalable in terms of both storage and compute, independently. It is not more scalable than Nutanix, but hit has independency of storage and compute, which might make it more cost-effective in some situations.

Another disadvantage of NetApp is that it's more expensive.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Nutanix Prism is priced better than some of the competing solutions.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Nutanix Prism is to use the hypervisor that comes with it because there is no reason to use another one.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Andrii Levchenko
BDM (Technical) at Softprom by ERC
Reseller
Sufficient for everyday operations, perfect support, and good for dynamic infrastructures

• "I like the general usability for general configuration. It is sufficient for everyday operations."
  • "The life cycle management or LCM feature is the most complicated. It takes really long and is unpredictable for our use cases. They should provide more detailed information about the kind of LCM to go for, various errors, and different kinds of tasks. For analytics for certain configurations, we require more details with the report. Sometimes, not all elements are present for support, management, and configuration. For troubleshooting, it would be very easy and useful if we can analyze log files directly from Prism, that is, not from the command line but directly from Prism."

What is our primary use case?

We manage the basic infrastructure with Prism and Prism Control.

What is most valuable?

I like the general usability for general configuration. It is sufficient for everyday operations.

What needs improvement?

Their technical support is perfect. They provide very fast answers to every problem. The solution is generally provided on the same day.

When compared with VMware, it is an overpriced solution for basic features, but for a highly complex project, its price very adequate.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very complex solution with many different functionalities. Prism Element is for enterprises of any size. In Prism Pro or Prism Ultimate, the functionality is a bit locked to the company size and the IT infrastructure size. You don't always need a very big installation for a big business. I would advise others to use Prism Central because Prism Element does not have all the required management features that Prism Central has.

I would recommend this solution for all organizations planning to build infrastructure for any size and change. It is easy for changes in size or functionality.

I would rate Nutanix Prism a nine out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Nutanix, VMware, Dell EMC and others in Virtualization Management Tools. Updated: November 2021.
552,407 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MarcMermuys
ICT System Administrator at a university with 51-200 employees
Has improved performance for our virtual desktops and is easy to manage

• "Since we began using Nutanix the performance for virtual desktops is much better."
  • "The main area where an improvement could be made would be the pricing."

What is our primary use case?

I work as an ICT System Administrator in a tertiary institution and Nutanix is the platform we use for virtual desktop, VDI. We have approximately 200 members using the solution in addition to which we also have 350 students. The students only use it on a floating desktop pool, not concurrently.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature would be performance. Since we began using Nutanix the performance for virtual desktops is much better. It's easy to manage Nutanix with no downtime during periods of maintenance. There has also been a big improvement in the dashboard which is now very easy compared to earlier solutions.

What needs improvement?

The main area where an improvement could be made would be the pricing. Aside from that, it's a very good product.

An additional feature that could be included would be to make an easy connection to closed systems such as Azure.

I've been using Nutanix for five years.

The product has excellent stability.

It's very easy to scale because it's a cluster. We started with four nodes then add a fifth to add a vision computer. There were no issues and no down time.

Customer support has improved a lot since the early days.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others using VDI to add All-Flash clusters, so no ordinary disk, but All-Flash disks for performance. That's something I would suggest, but that is more specific for VDI environments.

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

Private Cloud
NK
Solutions Consultant at a tech services company
Good centralized management that supports all hypervisors

• "The centralized management of Nutanix Prism is the best feature."
  • "I think that the Nutanix Prism Pro the terms it uses, it's not very user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

I think Nutanix is a good solution for hyper-convergence. Since there isn't always a centralized management tool that can do everything like related that. Nutanix supports all the hypervisors, that's why I feel it's best.

What is most valuable?

The centralized management of Nutanix Prism is the best feature. I can upgrade the hardware and I can upgrade the software from there. So that's a good feature.

What needs improvement?

I think that the Nutanix Prism Pro the terms it uses, it's not very user-friendly. Those terms should be a little more user-friendly. What terms they use should be more user-friendly.

I have been working with Nutanix Prism for two years.

We haven't had any stability issues.

We haven't had any scalability issues.

I've contacted Nutanix technical support. It was a good experience.

Nutanix it is straightforward, not complex. Deploying Nutanix Prism Pro takes a maximum of one hour.

Nutanix Prism pricing is higher than other products. They sell hyper-convergence as a bundled product. That's why I bought Nutanix. If I'm going with another hypervisor apart from ASV, the price goes higher. That's where the problem is.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Nutanix Prism Pro at an eight out of ten.

AW
Technical Support Specialist at a outsourcing company with 11-50 employees
Ideal solution for virtual machine and storage management

• "The storage management is one of the best."
  • "The price could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the solution is for virtual machine management and storage management. I work as a technical support specialist and we're a customer of Nutanix.

What is most valuable?

The event management is a very valuable feature, and resource management is also very good. Their storage management is one of the best. They do very good deduplication and compression.

What needs improvement?

I think perhaps they can improve on the price but it is a good product.

I've been using the solution for about one year.

We've contacted technical support for minor issues. Perhaps the response time could be improved but technically the customer support is very good.

Initial setup was done by a specialist contractor who was trained on Nutanix so we didn't have any issues with setting up. They did a great job.

We are evaluating other products such as VMWare, but that's for other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Anyone considering the solution should give it a test run. Try it in your environment. Check if your applications or your credit systems are compatible. I would say to anyone who has the budget to go for it, it's a really good system.

There is always space for improvement so I would rate the product a nine out of 10.

DM
Consultant Project Development at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good dashboards, integrates well with other products, and Prism Central is helpful

• "The most valuable features are the dashboards."
  • "In the next release, I would like the ability to browse data stores."

What is our primary use case?

We are a distributor and this is one of the solutions that we provide to our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the dashboards.

Prism Central, which is an aggregation of many Prisms, is very helpful.

Extra products are able to integrate directly into the Prism console.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like the ability to browse data stores directly from the Prism interface instead of using third party product.

I have been using Nutanix Prism for about five months.

Nutanix Prism is a stable solution.

This solution is scalable. Our customers are large, enterprise-level companies with more than 500 or 1,000 users.

Nutanix has very good technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward.

A lot of my customers complain about the price of renewals, so I think that this can be improved.

What other advice do I have?

Nutanix Prism is a good solution and I recommend it.

AB
Head, Digital Business and Innovation (BSc/MSc Computer Science, CISA) at a tech company with 51-200 employees
A scalable solution for easily managing virtual environments

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Nutanix Prism is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is that you can manage your virtual environments seamlessly. Nutanix Prism is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Although this solution has very good analytics capabilities, it can be even more granular.

We have been working with Nutanix Prism for the past year.

This solution is quite stable.

Aside from ease of use, scalability is one of the key points of this solution.

What is most valuable?

Nutanix Prism is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

We have been working with Nutanix Prism for the past year.

This solution is quite stable.

Aside from ease of use, scalability is one of the key points of this solution.

Technical support is good but usually, people don't have to contact them unless they have a really complicated installation.

The length of time for deployment depends on the size of the environment. The bigger it is, the longer it takes to deploy. For an average deployment, including configuration, it will take about a week.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and I highly recommend it.

YN
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Ability to have a single point to match things and simplicity of use are key benefits

What is our primary use case?

We have a data center and provide licenses to our customers. Our company uses this solution on private cloud and our customers generally use it on-prem. We are partners and resellers of Nutanix and I'm a systems engineer.

What is most valuable?

I like the simplicity of use and the ability to have a single point to match things.

What needs improvement?

We've been waiting a long time for micro application using a company's provider, that would be a good improvement. The cost of the solution is quite high and I'd like to see that lowered.

I've been using this solution for six years.

I think the technical support of Nutanix is one of the best supports I…

What needs improvement?

I've been using this solution for six years.

I think the technical support of Nutanix is one of the best supports I have used.

The initial setup is straightforward and takes about an hour.

In addition to the standard licensing fees there are extra costs for some functionalities such as capacity planning using Prism Pro.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

Private Cloud
Download our free Virtualization Management Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Nutanix, VMware, Dell EMC, and more!