Office 365 Overview

Office 365 is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Content Collaboration Platforms. It is most often compared to Atlassian Confluence: Office 365 vs Atlassian Confluence

What is Office 365?

Office 365 is more than just Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. It provides powerful services like business-class email, online storage, and teamwork solutions that you can access from anywhere. Bring teams and resources together with solutions like Microsoft Teams and Skype for Business that make working together more productive and enjoyable regardless of where participants are located. Easily implement security and privacy controls to help protect business data and devices against malicious threats and help you meet your compliance obligations. Automatic updates ensure your employees will always have the latest features and security updates.

Office 365 is also known as Microsoft Office 365, Office 365 Enterprise, Office 365 Enterprise E1, Office 365 Enterprise E3, Office 365 Enterprise E5, Office 365 ProPlus, Office 365 Business, Office 365 Business Essentials, Office 365 Business Premium, Office 365 F1.

Office 365 Buyer's Guide

Download the Office 365 Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Office 365 Customers

Me & the Bees Lemonade

Office 365 Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

VS
Security Specialist at a tech consulting company with 1-10 employees
Leaderboard
Good for processing data in small volumes, but undocumented functionality leads to unexpected behavior

What is our primary use case?

I am a business consultant and have worked in business continuity for about eight years. I work for factories, banks, government, and other organizations. I use different methodologies that depend on the customer's requirements. I have found that Office 365 is one of the best tools for business continuity, for small companies.

• "Many of the features in Office 365 are good, but I think Excel is a very good tool."
  • "Using Visual Basic, I have had a lot of trouble with relative paths when programming for Excel, and sometimes it is very difficult to debug programs."

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft Office is a basic tool in consulting. I have implemented macros, specialized Office tools, and applications for it using Visual Basic. I usually need to design tools for our clients, because I want to give them a really good product. It needs to be more than Excel, alone, because it has to be easy to enter data. There are also calculations that happen in the background, and we do not want the client to be harassed by things that they do not need to know. The mission of the Office is to do small computations. It is a tool for small documents and spreadsheets, and I think it's perfect…
OC
System Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good stability and scalability but needs better features

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for email exchange.

• "It's very stable."
  • "There are several additional features we would like to see, such as advanced features of SAN protection in Office 365. The main thing is the SAN protection; we would like to see a lot of advanced features added because we had a lot of spam attacks."

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give depends mainly on their requirements. If they need to minimize their administration, Office 365 would be an excellent option. On a scale of one to ten, one being the lowest and ten being the highest, I would rate this product a seven.
Learn what your peers think about Office 365. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Anhnhat Tran
Senior Software Enginer at University of Southern California
Detects patient data, like a social security number, in email attachments and triggers an alert

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to detect if a user, physician, manager, or director have sent out their patient data.

• "The functionality that is most valuable is the solution's ability to detect patient data in email attachments. Whenever a user sends out an email with patient data embedded in an attachment, it triggers an alert. The tool can detect a social security number and various other forms of patient identity. Emails are then automatically generated and sent."
  • "Improvements can be made to the products generic offering. It's not customized for health care. It doesn't understand the meaning of health care related concepts. Providing a greater degree of industry specificity would make the tool much more unique and valuable."

What other advice do I have?

The version we are using is very generic. It requires that you perform a lot of customizations. I rate this product a 7 out of 10. I give it this rating because it works but it's not sophisticated enough and not specialized enough for health care. It requires a lot of time to customize.
OnyaToochukwu
CEO/Programmer at Tech Elight
Convert pictures to PDF format with ease

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for creating files, and typing projects and for converting Word documents to PDF format.

• "Most of the work that seems not to work offline works perfectly with Microsoft Office 2013, like converting a Word document to a PDF file."
  • "The feature to convert PDF file to a Word document needs improvement as well as the feature to save the file automatically when typing, without using the save command."
CE
Solution Architect at Bilicha Technology
It is a nice service that lets us share information easily, but it does not have flexibility on some mobile devices

What is our primary use case?

We use it to share work and collaborate.

What is most valuable?

The cloud service and Skype are the most valuable features. We also use the MS Word and Excel.

What needs improvement?

Using Office 365 is not that flexible on some mobile devices, like Android. They need to improve the security of the product. For example, I don't trust the OneDrive product on my computer.

We have five people in our office.

The technical support is okay. It is Microsoft.

It is very easy to deploy.

We have already seen ROI.

What's my experience

Vijish Jain
Sales Manager at Essar
Has an upgraded version of MS Word and a better and upgraded PowerPoint

What is our primary use case?

It gives a platform to connect with your colleagues. Through Yammer, its cloud connectivity enhances its MS Office experience.

How has it helped my organization?

By employing cloud integration, its performance has increased. It has got an upgraded version of MS Word, and a better and upgraded PowerPoint, which are very useful.

What is most valuable?

Its cloud connectivity and integration of Yammer is best. It's a complete package for any office to use.

What needs improvement?

They should reduce the license fees....otherwise its the best office solution till date from the Microsoft.

FAFCO
Director of Technology at FAFCO, INC.
User
Cloud-based management is valuable and software deployment is positive

What is our primary use case?

We use it throughout our business for email and documents. It has allowed us to stop maintaining SharePoint and Exchange installs.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to eliminate a lot of in-house infrastructure and has simplified our software licensing.

What is most valuable?

Cloud-based management is valuable and software deployment is positive. SharePoint, document sharing, and Skype have been helpful as well.

What needs improvement?

They should stop releasing new features and focus on making the existing ones work. Their support is so terrible and unusable except during dire emergencies.

Three to five years.
it_user861651
IT and Digital Evangelization with 11-50 employees
Product helps us be more efficient with a standardized way of doing things

What is our primary use case?

We are using the cloud-based version. We use it in an office environment and also in a school environment. It is performing great.

• "The technical support is outstanding."
  • "The product helps us be more efficient. It helps us to have a standardized way of doing things."
  • "There are some complexities to the initial setup if you use some of the more advanced features."
  • "It needs improvements around its compatibility with non-Microsoft products."
  • "They should do more testing before product releases."

What other advice do I have?

It is an excellent, stable solution for doing what we do in our business. The product has my highest recommendation. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: reliability of the product.
Consultant at a tech services company
​Great impact on project management and team collaboration

What is our primary use case?

* Great set of productivity and collaboration tools * Strong security, if properly configured * Constantly evolving with new features, which can be challenging for users.

• "​Great impact on project management and team collaboration."
  • "The phone VoIP product provides genuine a unified communication solution."
  • "Security is still complex, but the admin console improving."
  • "Constantly evolving with new features, which can be challenging for users."
Senior IT Network Administrator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Eliminates server, hardware costs and downtime, new features are available immediately

• "There are no more server and hardware operational costs and downtime, updates, etc. for all the workloads available. Newer features and updates are available immediately. Can be managed from a single web interface. Cloud-based, so same experience for all users, regardless of location."
  • "We have had some connectivity issues."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a 10 out of 10. I'm very satisfied with the product, with Microsoft, and the support provided by the tech. It's very good.
it_user754794
IT User
The solution is very fast and improves our organization by having less chances of issues arising

What is most valuable?

Very fast Almost too many features to work with

How has it helped my organization?

Reduces the manageability from physical server to cloud. Less chance of issues.

What needs improvement?

Performance Scalability

One year.

Migration from Exchange.

Customer Service: A nine out of 10. Technical Support: A 10 out of 10.

Exchange server. We changed for service improvement.

The initial setup…
John ONeill
Principle consultant at Active Data Consulting Services Pty Ltd
Has been extremely reliable, stable, and deployment was simple

What other advice do I have?

We've been very happy with Office 365 so far. We're looking to see how else we can leverage the investment in Delve, Yammer, Forms, and other capabilities across the business.
Lead Engineer Solutions at a media company with 51-200 employees
Tools For Teamwork, Productivity, And Administration​

What other advice do I have?

Adoption is key! Don't push it. Especially for users who are used to working with traditional tools, it will be hard to adopt a new way of work.
Technology Advisor at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
It is a very easy, logical set-up. It provides us with collaboration and security.

What other advice do I have?

Provide lots of training and roll out one app at a time for apps that are above and beyond standard Office apps. Reiterate that they can use cloud/desktop or both. Our users sometimes struggle understanding that the desktop apps have the same content as the cloud version.
it_user613581
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Exchange Online and Skype for Business Online are valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

If you really need to move to cloud, compare all of the options, check your budget and requirements and subscribe to Office 365's trial pack, which is available for 30 days. Feel comfortable with the product. If you feel that this product serves your requirement for the money you are paying, you may subscribe to Office 365 Enterprise. If in case you feel that this would cost you too much (for small business organizations), you may look for other cloud solutions like Google Business Apps or Google Apps and other cloud-based applications. You may look in Google for other cloud-based solutions.
Nauta69
Engineer at Triple A SA
Provides a platform for collaboration between members of a business network.

What other advice do I have?

Plan the work that needs to be done well. Ensure that the achievements and actions of physical/human resources are planned in consideration of possible unexpected events. Plan accordingly in terms of communication or connections.
IT Systems Administrator at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Provides the capability to trace emails, and provides security over those emails.

What other advice do I have?

Know PowerShell. This is where the true power of Office 365 lies.
it_user607830
Project Manager & Non-Profit Practice Lead with 51-200 employees
I like the release planning feature and their notifications about upgrades.

What other advice do I have?

First of all, I was an enthusiastic and an early adopter of this product. Microsoft has made the onboarding process impressively robust and my learning pains back then, would not be those experienced by someone arriving new/fresh today. Still, the primary domain is something that one should give some consideration to, as it’s a lock-in decision.
it_user607398
SharePoint BI Developer at a non-tech company
Provides version control and helps manage the assignment of tasks.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework first, plan governance, and then pull the trigger. Use a migration tool to add metadata to file share documents.
it_user607425
ICT Technical Coordinator at a retailer with 201-500 employees
Enables email and calendar availability, as well as sharing.

What other advice do I have?

Have a good plan with shared mail and calendars.
Assistant Manager, IT Infrastructure & Planning Division at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
SharePoint and Yammer are the most valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

It is excellent for any organization's business productivity.
IT Executive at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
My most recent deployment went off without issue.

What other advice do I have?

You may need ADFS; you may need a hybrid environment. Not everything necessarily goes away. Also, user management continues; it just moves to a new place (hosted/the cloud).
Download our free Office 365 Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.