Office 365 OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Office 365 is #1 ranked solution in top Content Collaboration Platforms. IT Central Station users give Office 365 an average rating of 8 out of 10. Office 365 is most commonly compared to Atlassian Confluence:Office 365 vs Atlassian Confluence. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.
What is Office 365?

Office 365 is more than just Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. It provides powerful services like business-class email, online storage, and teamwork solutions that you can access from anywhere. Bring teams and resources together with solutions like Microsoft Teams and Skype for Business that make working together more productive and enjoyable regardless of where participants are located. Easily implement security and privacy controls to help protect business data and devices against malicious threats and help you meet your compliance obligations. Automatic updates ensure your employees will always have the latest features and security updates.

Office 365 was previously known as Microsoft Office 365, Office 365 Enterprise, Office 365 Enterprise E1, Office 365 Enterprise E3, Office 365 Enterprise E5, Office 365 ProPlus, Office 365 Business, Office 365 Business Essentials, Office 365 Business Premium, Office 365 F1.

Office 365 Buyer's Guide

Download the Office 365 Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Office 365 Customers

Me & the Bees Lemonade

Office 365 Video

Archived Office 365 Reviews (more than two years old)

Giancarlo Proença
User
Multi-user editing and integration with OneDrive brings better focus and efficiency

• "The most valuable feature is the integration with OneDrive, which has allowed us, a small business, easy access to a cloud environment, with no need to back up the data from five different computers."
  • "Integration between Outlook calendar and Google Calendar would be a good improvement since many of our team use Android phones and personal Gmail accounts as their main calendar application."

What is our primary use case?

Our team is comprised of five people in a small consultant firm. Office 365 allows for all team members to work on the same files at the same time on OneDrive while using the market standards (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) for file editing and creation.

We've experimented with free options, but there is no point of trying to work in a file format that is different from that of our clients. That's the main reason that led us to Office 365.

All of our workstations are Windows 10 and Office runs perfectly.

How has it helped my organization?

Easy sharing of files between team members in different locations, using both OneDrive and Office 365 (desktop and online), has improved efficiency by two times. Before using this solution, we had to rely on email to send files back and forth. No more renaming a document V1, V2, V10, Vn. Just open, edit, and let the seamless integration of Office and OneDrive deal with versions and edits.

What is most valuable?

The multiple-user editing capability is helpful, improving the productivity of our team on creating and editing files together, even when in different physical locations.

File formats that are the market standard (docx, xlsx, pptx), is an important and relevant need to deal with clients' provided files.

What needs improvement?

In general, the desktop apps could be a little leaner and open faster in less powerful machines.

The interface for Outlook could use a refresh, to make it more like the other software in the suite.

We have been using this solution for three years.

Office 365 is very stable. Actually, it is more stable than other similar solutions we have tried in the past (Libre Office).

MS has excellent support and tech support. They really engage in solving the issues you might have with the software.

We tried Google Docs, but it messed the formatting on our complex - designed - documents. We have also tried Libre Office, but with similar results. Only by using Office 365 were we able to read and create documents without any formatting issues.

The initial setup was easy and our team handled it by themselves. MS support gave some advice when needed.

We handled the implementation in-house.

We did not evaluate options beyond Google Docs and Libre Office. Once we understood that there was no point on going against the market standard for file formats, we went straight to Office 365.

What other advice do I have?

If you need, reach out to MS support. They were really helpful in setting things up for our team.

VS
Security Specialist at a tech consulting company with 1-10 employees
Good for processing data in small volumes, but undocumented functionality leads to unexpected behavior

• "Many of the features in Office 365 are good, but I think Excel is a very good tool."
  • "Using Visual Basic, I have had a lot of trouble with relative paths when programming for Excel, and sometimes it is very difficult to debug programs."

What is our primary use case?

I am a business consultant and have worked in business continuity for about eight years. I work for factories, banks, government, and other organizations. I use different methodologies that depend on the customer's requirements.

I have found that Office 365 is one of the best tools for business continuity, for small companies.

What is most valuable?

Many of the features in Office 365 are good, but I think Excel is a very good tool. Excel is good at processing data in small volumes.

What needs improvement?

Using Visual Basic, I have had a lot of trouble with relative paths when programming for Excel, and sometimes it is very difficult to debug programs. For example, if the user has their focus on a different sheet, one that you do not expect, then the program begins to behave unexpectedly. This means that you cannot use relative paths, and you have to use absolute paths. Microsoft could issue warnings if you are programming in a way that might have side effects.

There is a problem with the Microsoft Office documentation in terms of undocumented features. When you are programming and there is an undocumented and unexpected behavior in the background, it can be very painful to find the bugs.

More than fifteen years.

The stability depends on what you expect from the solution. For example, I have had some bad experiences with macros in the cloud version, and I am in the process of figuring out why. Simple macros seem to work well when it comes to storing data in the cloud.

We use Excel to do business continuity for small companies, with perhaps one hundred employees. There are usually four or five people who need to use the tools.

For larger companies, with use other tools because it is easier to manage.

We have not dealt with technical support because there are no issues that we could not solve using the knowledge base.

The initial setup is simple. Once you enter your license key it is done. An unskilled person with no IT background can install it.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft Office is a basic tool in consulting. I have implemented macros, specialized Office tools, and applications for it using Visual Basic. I usually need to design tools for our clients, because I want to give them a really good product. It needs to be more than Excel, alone, because it has to be easy to enter data. There are also calculations that happen in the background, and we do not want the client to be harassed by things that they do not need to know.

The mission of the Office is to do small computations. It is a tool for small documents and spreadsheets, and I think it's perfect for what it's meant to be. On the other hand, there is always something that can be improved.

I would rate this solution a four out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Office 365. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,382 professionals have used our research since 2012.
OC
System Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good stability and scalability but needs better features

• "It's very stable."
  • "There are several additional features we would like to see, such as advanced features of SAN protection in Office 365. The main thing is the SAN protection; we would like to see a lot of advanced features added because we had a lot of spam attacks."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for email exchange.

What needs improvement?

There are several areas that this service can be improved. The email, there are certain features we would like to see improvements from Microsoft, and also there are applications called BlueJeans, and there are certain things.

More than five years now

It's very stable.

The scalability is good. More than 700 people are using this solution. Their job titles range from IT manager, network engineer, to corporate team members, there are several staff engineers, everyone.

We have about three people who are directly working with deployment and maintenance.

We were using open source email server entourage exchange, and from there the best option was to migrate to Office 365.

The initial setup was a bit complex because we were migrating to exchange service.

Deployment took around three weeks to fully migrate everything to Office 365.

We used official applications provided by Microsoft for the migration. There were no other articles used.

Technical support of Office 365 is good.

We are using a particular type of license which allows each item to be priced around 30 dollars per month. There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give depends mainly on their requirements. If they need to minimize their administration, Office 365 would be an excellent option.

On a scale of one to ten, one being the lowest and ten being the highest, I would rate this product a seven.

Anhnhat Tran
Senior Software Enginer at University of Southern California
Detects patient data, like a social security number, in email attachments and triggers an alert

• "The functionality that is most valuable is the solution's ability to detect patient data in email attachments. Whenever a user sends out an email with patient data embedded in an attachment, it triggers an alert. The tool can detect a social security number and various other forms of patient identity. Emails are then automatically generated and sent."
  • "Improvements can be made to the products generic offering. It's not customized for health care. It doesn't understand the meaning of health care related concepts. Providing a greater degree of industry specificity would make the tool much more unique and valuable."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to detect if a user, physician, manager, or director have sent out their patient data.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a more user-friendly interface in the next release. We worked with a developer to upgrade the settings and optimize the base functionality. If the UI was more intuitive, all the user would need to do is click through.

Less than one year.

It's a good solution and it's a stable solution.

We have a team of five engineers and software developers taking care of maintenance issues.

It's scalable because it's a cloud solution. We haven't had any performance problem with it.

The initial setup was straightforward. We followed the instructions. Since it's a cloud solution we just opened the administration tabs and created the rules as they apply to our operation. We created XML. We did have to build some code within the solution.

Deployment took a few months to fully implement the solution. The strategy we used was to test the solution within a test account first and after that, we deployed the products and we selected a subset of users to deploy it.

What other advice do I have?

The version we are using is very generic. It requires that you perform a lot of customizations.

I rate this product a 7 out of 10. I give it this rating because it works but it's not sophisticated enough and not specialized enough for health care. It requires a lot of time to customize.

OnyaToochukwu
CEO/Programmer at Tech Elight
Convert pictures to PDF format with ease

• "Most of the work that seems not to work offline works perfectly with Microsoft Office 2013, like converting a Word document to a PDF file."
  • "The feature to convert PDF file to a Word document needs improvement as well as the feature to save the file automatically when typing, without using the save command."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for creating files, and typing projects and for converting Word documents to PDF format.

How has it helped my organization?

Most of the work that seems not to work offline works perfectly with Microsoft Office 2013, like converting a Word document to a PDF file.

What is most valuable?

The ability to convert Word documents to PDF file is one of the features I love most. Pictures can be pasted into the Word environment and can be converted to PDF.

Three to five years.

It is efficient and effective.

The scalability is really good.

The technical support are responsive.

We previously used a different version, Office 2007.

The initial setup was not really complex.

The installation was done in-house.

The pricing is not really high, but one can get the software with the license key for free.

CE
Solution Architect at Bilicha Technology
It is a nice service that lets us share information easily, but it does not have flexibility on some mobile devices

What is our primary use case?

We use it to share work and collaborate.

What is most valuable?

The cloud service and Skype are the most valuable features. We also use the MS Word and Excel.

What needs improvement?

Using Office 365 is not that flexible on some mobile devices, like Android. They need to improve the security of the product. For example, I don't trust the OneDrive product on my computer.

We have five people in our office.

The technical support is okay. It is Microsoft.

It is very easy to deploy.

We have already seen ROI.

What's my experience

What is our primary use case?

We use it to share work and collaborate.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Using Office 365 is not that flexible on some mobile devices, like Android.

We have five people in our office.

The technical support is okay. It is Microsoft.

It is very easy to deploy.

We have already seen ROI.

The pricing is good for all the features that we receive, e.g., Skype for Business.

What other advice do I have?

It is a nice service that lets us share information easily.

Look into the security and cost of the solution before purchasing.

Vijish Jain
Sales Manager at Essar
Has an upgraded version of MS Word and a better and upgraded PowerPoint

What is our primary use case?

It gives a platform to connect with your colleagues. Through Yammer, its cloud connectivity enhances its MS Office experience.

How has it helped my organization?

By employing cloud integration, its performance has increased. It has got an upgraded version of MS Word, and a better and upgraded PowerPoint, which are very useful.

What is most valuable?

Its cloud connectivity and integration of Yammer is best. It's a complete package for any office to use.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

• They should reduce the license fees....otherwise its the best office solution till date from the Microsoft.

FAFCO
Director of Technology at FAFCO, INC.
User
Cloud-based management is valuable and software deployment is positive

What is our primary use case?

We use it throughout our business for email and documents. It has allowed us to stop maintaining SharePoint and Exchange installs.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to eliminate a lot of in-house infrastructure and has simplified our software licensing.

What is most valuable?

Cloud-based management is valuable and software deployment is positive. SharePoint, document sharing, and Skype have been helpful as well.

What needs improvement?

They should stop releasing new features and focus on making the existing ones work. Their support is so terrible and unusable except during dire emergencies.

it_user861651
IT and Digital Evangelization with 11-50 employees
Product helps us be more efficient with a standardized way of doing things

• "The technical support is outstanding."
  • "The product helps us be more efficient. It helps us to have a standardized way of doing things."
  • "There are some complexities to the initial setup if you use some of the more advanced features."
  • "It needs improvements around its compatibility with non-Microsoft products."
  • "They should do more testing before product releases."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the cloud-based version. We use it in an office environment and also in a school environment. It is performing great.

How has it helped my organization?

The product helps us be more efficient. It helps us to have a standardized way of doing things. It is very compatible with other companies that we do business with, because they have about a 90% market share in that space. Therefore, it makes it where we can be compatible with the people that we do business with.

What is most valuable?

The whole Office suite of Office products: Word, Publisher, Outlook, etc. are fantastic. The whole suite of products is very good.

What needs improvement?

• It needs improvements around its compatibility with non-Microsoft products.
  • They should do more testing before product releases.

It is very stable.

I have not had any problems with the scalability. It has scaled to everything that we have needed.

The technical support is outstanding.

We switched from the PC-based solution (desktop) to the cloud-based. The cloud-based gave us more opportunities to be more flexible. It is easier to get to when employees are out of the office or at home. They can link in to the product, so it makes it very available.

The initial setup is very straightforward. There are some complexities to it if you use some of the more advanced features, but for the basic install, it is very easy.

The pricing/licensing is easy to manage.

There weren't any vendors on our shortlist. We just decided to go to the cloud version. We were already using it in our desktop environments, so there were no competitors.

What other advice do I have?

It is an excellent, stable solution for doing what we do in our business. The product has my highest recommendation.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: reliability of the product.

Consultant at a tech services company
​Great impact on project management and team collaboration

• "​Great impact on project management and team collaboration."
  • "The phone VoIP product provides genuine a unified communication solution."
  • "Security is still complex, but the admin console improving."
  • "Constantly evolving with new features, which can be challenging for users."

What is our primary use case?

• Great set of productivity and collaboration tools
  • Strong security, if properly configured
  • Constantly evolving with new features, which can be challenging for users.

How has it helped my organization?

• Great impact on project management and team collaboration.
  • Improved communication and documentation.
  • SharePoint's great platform for controlled document storage and management of digital assets.
  • The phone VoIP product provides genuine a unified communication solution.

What is most valuable?

• SharePoint: search, portal pages, collaboration
  • Teams: project management, event management, and section teamworking
  • Phone: VoIP unified communication with Skype for Business across mobile, VOIP handsets, and Teams. Good reporting and good value subscriptions for international calls.

What needs improvement?

Teams still has some shortcomings, however, new features and fixes being rapidly released. Security is still complex, but the admin console improving.

More than five years.
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Trade IT is a Microsoft Partner.
Senior IT Network Administrator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Eliminates server, hardware costs and downtime, new features are available immediately

• "There are no more server and hardware operational costs and downtime, updates, etc. for all the workloads available. Newer features and updates are available immediately. Can be managed from a single web interface. Cloud-based, so same experience for all users, regardless of location."
  • "We have had some connectivity issues."

How has it helped my organization?

No more on-prem Exchange Server, all mail in cloud, no maintenance or server management.

What is most valuable?

• Exchagne Online
  • Security and compliance
  • Skype for Business
  • Office 365 ProPlus
  • SharePoint Online
  • Yammer
  1. There are no more server and hardware operational costs and downtime, updates, etc. for all the workloads available.
  2. Newer features and updates are available immediately.
  3. Can be managed from a single web interface.
  4. Cloud-based, so same experience for all users, regardless of location.
  5. Licensing, billing, and accounting are available from the management interface.

What needs improvement?

We have had some connectivity issues.

Three to five years.

No issues with scalability.

Very good.

We previously had an on-prem solution.

Easy.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a 10 out of 10. I'm very satisfied with the product, with Microsoft, and the support provided by the tech. It's very good.

it_user754794
IT User
The solution is very fast and improves our organization by having less chances of issues arising

What is most valuable?

Very fast Almost too many features to work with

How has it helped my organization?

Reduces the manageability from physical server to cloud. Less chance of issues.

What needs improvement?

Performance Scalability

One year.

Migration from Exchange.

Customer Service: A nine out of 10. Technical Support: A 10 out of 10.

Exchange server. We changed for service improvement.

The initial setup…

What is most valuable?

• Very fast
  • Almost too many features to work with

How has it helped my organization?

• Reduces the manageability from physical server to cloud.
  • Less chance of issues.

What needs improvement?

• Performance
  • Scalability

One year.

Migration from Exchange.

A nine out of 10.

A 10 out of 10.

Exchange server. We changed for service improvement.

The initial setup was straightforward.

In-house.

Setup is bit difficult. Cost-wise everything is affordable.

John ONeill
Principle consultant at Active Data Consulting Services Pty Ltd
Has been extremely reliable, stable, and deployment was simple

What is most valuable?

• Rapid deployment of Office functionality to users.
  • Ability to enforce global policies.
  • Security.

Monthly subscription per user provides flexibility and a significant number of capable apps to leverage corporate data.

How has it helped my organization?

We have found Office 365's many features and apps to be extremely useful, beyond the usual Word and Excel, which most people are used to using. We've made extensive use of SharePoint, OneDrive, Yammer, and so forth, and are exploring the other capabilities of Office 365.

What needs improvement?

Many of the compliance facilities, whilst available, require a bit of 'digging' around the back end of the admin/security facilities. It would be nice to have industry/regional templates which could be adopted and customized to help get compliance settings made more easily, especially for user organizations that face a lot of compliance issues.

About two years now.

No, deployment was very simple.

No, so far Office 365 has been extremely reliable and stable.

So far no issues encountered, we have scanned a lot of documents without any issues.

We worked with a Microsoft Partner and found the service to be excellent.

Very high.

We were using Office 2007 before the upgrade, with various licensing scattered across the business. Office 365 gave us a consistent platform that could be easily rolled out. Also, the ongoing updates to Office 365 help reduce the workload on keeping apps up-to-date, especially if the IT team is small.

Initial setup was very straightforward.

We worked through a Microsoft Partner who helped us get Office 365 deployed across our organization.

So far, substantial savings of approximately 30 to 40 percent vs the old licensing model. Also, as staff numbers fluctuate, it is possible to keep the number of subscriptions in alignment with headcount. Monthly subscriptions for each user make the solution extremely flexible.

If you are a small business and/or have in-house technical capability, getting up and running with Office 365 is fairly simple. I suggest working with a good Microsoft Partner if the organization is large or disparate/distributed.

We spent a bit of time evaluating OpenOffice, LibreOffice, but Office 365 suited our particular needs very well. However, OpenOffice and LibreOffice are themselves good products and should be reviewed/considered for productivity applications. One of the main strengths of Office 365 is it runs on the Azure platform and has Microsoft behind it, which gives me a lot of confidence.

What other advice do I have?

We've been very happy with Office 365 so far. We're looking to see how else we can leverage the investment in Delve, Yammer, Forms, and other capabilities across the business.

Lead Engineer Solutions at a media company with 51-200 employees
Tools For Teamwork, Productivity, And Administration​

What is most valuable?

Office 365, Skype for Business Online, SharePoint.

How has it helped my organization?

Less overhead, work anywhere/anytime. Tools for teamwork, productivity, and administration.

What needs improvement?

The ability to work with SharePoint from within the Office applications is limited. (There is still a need for third party tools like Harmon.ie).

Five years.

Negligible.

Negligible.

High level of technical support from Microsoft.

On-premises: Office 1010/2013/2016, Sharepoint Server, Skype/Lync farm. We switched because of the ease of administration and reduced overhead.

With the help of a clear project plan and adoption plan, implementation of Office 365 is mostly straightforward. SharePoint does need more attention. Mostly adoption issues.

Contact Microsoft about any pricing issues.

What other advice do I have?

Adoption is key! Don't push it. Especially for users who are used to working with traditional tools, it will be hard to adopt a new way of work.

Technology Advisor at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
It is a very easy, logical set-up. It provides us with collaboration and security.

What is most valuable?

• Cloud
  • Collaboration ability
  • Security.

We are a remote/distributed company, so we need cloud functionality; collaboration is also key in a remote environment.

How has it helped my organization?

We have greater ability to communicate and work on projects much more efficiently. I can provide IT support for over 200 employees remotely.

What needs improvement?

Skype for Business could use some help. But, they constantly update and improve the full suite of apps.

The UI/UX feels a bit clunky. Especially compared to consumer Skype or Teams. There isn’t persistent chat, so it is hard to having on-going conversations. We actually stopped using it for instant messaging, but still use it for the CloudPBX/PSTN (landline calling) which works pretty well. There are some stability issues, but better than a lot of VoIP options.

I have used it for 1.5 years.

Rarely have we had stability issues. Maybe 20 minutes of disruption over 1.5 years.

Office 365 scales extremely well.

I have only had to use their support once, but they seemed proficient.

We didn’t really have a previous solution. We used a stand-alone email service and older versions of Office.

It is a very easy, logical set-up and now they have an on-boarding wizard which looks helpful and offer FastTrack to help with on-boarding.

Licensing is maybe the most confusing part of it – in fact there are certification courses just for licensing! But, we have had both the E3 and E5 levels and provides everything we need.

We looked at Google at Work.

What other advice do I have?

Provide lots of training and roll out one app at a time for apps that are above and beyond standard Office apps. Reiterate that they can use cloud/desktop or both. Our users sometimes struggle understanding that the desktop apps have the same content as the cloud version.

it_user613581
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Exchange Online and Skype for Business Online are valuable features.

What is most valuable?

Exchange Online: It's the cloud version of Exchange Server and is pretty much easy to use.

Skype for Business Online formerly Lync Online: It's a fully fledged chat cum video conferencing tool. With the integration of Skype and Lync, the tool has now become more useful and helpful.

How has it helped my organization?

There were functionalities of the Lync 2013 client version that were not helpful, like connecting with people outside the organization and having better conferencing abilities. These have now been improved with the involvement of AT&T collaboration with Microsoft Lync. Moreover, Skype for Business Mobile is a more handy tool now.

What needs improvement?

The Skype for Business admin centre could be easier to use.

The Microsoft Intune admin portal still needs some compatibility support to run on all browsers. Presently, it requires IE 11.0 and higher version to work properly.

I have been using this product since it's complete launch, which was from March 2013.

The 99.99℅ uptime SLA guarantee provided by Microsoft ensures there are no stability related issues.

The tool is cloud-based and is based on Microsoft Azure (IaaS and PaaS). This ensures high scalability and elasticity. I have never had any situation with scalability until now.

Regular customer support is good enough for all when there is a problem. Apart from that, the community supports are there as well. I would recommend enterprise users to enroll for Microsoft's Premier support.

I have not used other solutions; however, I have assisted other users and administrators to migrate from Google Business Apps to Microsoft's Office 365 Enterprise and Business Premier environment.

The setup is easy and user-friendly. On-screen guided instructions help make the complex process easy to use.

Pricing and licensing are pay-as-you-go, concept-wise. Plans are available per user per month or per user per year. These are available on Microsoft's website. Users or organizations can choose the plans according to their requirements and budget.

Frankly, the features packed by Microsoft and the compatibility with Microsoft operating systems provides you the best options when compared with other options available in market. You may Google or Bing the same for more comparisons.

What other advice do I have?

If you really need to move to cloud, compare all of the options, check your budget and requirements and subscribe to Office 365's trial pack, which is available for 30 days. Feel comfortable with the product.

If you feel that this product serves your requirement for the money you are paying, you may subscribe to Office 365 Enterprise. If in case you feel that this would cost you too much (for small business organizations), you may look for other cloud solutions like Google Business Apps or Google Apps and other cloud-based applications. You may look in Google for other cloud-based solutions.

Nauta69
Engineer at Triple A SA
Provides a platform for collaboration between members of a business network.

What is most valuable?

It is an excellent platform for teamwork. Its raison d'être is the collaboration between the members of a business network. It also enables work material from diverse devices.

Here are some of the valuable features:

• Ease of use with an intuitive environment
  • High availability
  • Speed of access
  • Quick response when requesting support
  • Extensive information on the web and from local partners
  • Short implementation time
  • Quick activation of services

How has it helped my organization?

The tools have made a positive impact on our organization. Here are some examples:

• Some meetings no longer need to occur at the different venues of our company. They can use Skype for Business instead.
  • Many teams have formed groups through which they share work files. Team members are not necessarily in the same physical location.
  • Human resources and communication teams use Yammer for their ads.
  • Managers make approvals from their cell phones, thereby making the operation more dynamic. Other services have gradually been incorporated.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a little more native documentation in more frequently used languages, such as Spanish.

There is very good documentation of the different modules and components, however, all are in English, and the product is widely distributed in Spanish speaking countries. It would be beneficial if the documentation is also in the second highest language: Spanish.

We have been using this solution for seven months.

Once issue occurred when we moved large mailboxes (greater than 20 GB). That took a considerable amount of time to finalize. However, that could have been a result of the conditions and characteristics of the networks in our country, or our internet provider.

No stability issues for now. All is working out as expected.

No scalability issues for now. All is working out as expected.

Customer service is very good, especially by the local partners who give us advice and first line support. This is also true of the service offered directly by Microsoft.

Technical support has been very good for us so far. Once a support case is opened, we receive a message very quickly that a technician was assigned to us. Within five hours, depending on the urgency of the case, we generally receive some communication in our language to solve the case.

Our previous solutions had of delay of about three years and had not been updated. In addition, they were only offering us mail, calendar, and a poor communication chat.

The change was necessary, given the peculiarities of the existing work in the company. We needed a platform that would allow a more dynamic and real collaboration.

The installation was not complex. Everything required a series of steps and checklists to follow that allowed the implementation to come to a happy conclusion. The concern is to make sure that there are additional resources available when the implementation ends. This could be a high number of resources.

The implementation was done by the vendor team who is a strategic partner for our company for computer projects. The experience was very good. They have a large group of engineers and staff who are certified by Microsoft. They have many facilities in large and medium-sized companies, and they have been very effective.

The licensing and prices are within the average range. They offer a good price for the services that are obtained. In addition, they offer various licensing plans depending on the required services, from the simplest to the most complex and numerous. The cost is proportional to the number of services.

Before making the decision to purchase this solution, other options were reviewed. There were three finalists: Google Apps, IBM Notes and Domino Social Edition, and Office 365.

During the next round, we evaluated the last two options. After about five weeks of running PoCs, we decided to purchase Office 365.

What other advice do I have?

Plan the work that needs to be done well. Ensure that the achievements and actions of physical/human resources are planned in consideration of possible unexpected events. Plan accordingly in terms of communication or connections.

IT Systems Administrator at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Provides the capability to trace emails, and provides security over those emails.

What is most valuable?

• Microsoft Office
  • Skype for Business
  • Office 2016
  • Data loss prevention

How has it helped my organization?

• Provided us with better capability to trace emails, and provide security over those emails.
  • Provided the ability to encrypt email.
  • Gave us a professional video conferencing system.
  • Easily manageable.

What needs improvement?

The default reporting is not very helpful; extendable mostly through PowerShell; must have knowledge of PowerShell to fully utilize.

I have used it for a little over one year.

I have not had an issue with anything going down. On Google Apps for Business, it was frequent.

No issues with scalability; easy to work with and extend.

Honestly have not had to deal with technical support; most problems have been resolvable through the community and online research.

We previously used Google Apps for Business. Solution was incomplete, a headache to manage and extend. Email filtering was essentially useless.

Initial setup was very straightforward; was able to set up and migrate with little assistance.

We use a parallel licensing structure through Dell. Originally, there were some limitations; however, those limitations are now rare.

We looked into an onsite email server, as well as staying with Google Apps for Business.

What other advice do I have?

Know PowerShell. This is where the true power of Office 365 lies.

it_user607830
Project Manager & Non-Profit Practice Lead with 51-200 employees
I like the release planning feature and their notifications about upgrades.

What is most valuable?

I love this tool. I like the release planning feature and their notifications about upgrades; it makes me feel like an inside partner rather than just a customer.
Some valuable features are

• SharePoint
  • Microsoft Planner
  • Office 365 (Excel, Access)

How has it helped my organization?

Yammer and SharePoint’s social collaboration features have transformed our work style and the way we collaborate with the clients. There’s less of emails tracking and more moving the conversations forward, with greater context in terms of supporting the documents or issues being discussed.

Furthermore, the way that Excel has grown into a data analytics tool/engine with monthly updates is a pleasant surprise.

What needs improvement?

Task management needs to improve. There still doesn’t seem to be a unified view of my tasks that follows me around from SharePoint to Groups to Yammer to Planner.

Planner seems the best model in terms of functionality, but tracking my personal responsibilities still seems the tiniest bit soiled.

I have been using this solution since 2013.

I have not encountered any stability issues. On some occasions, the service health status reports have indicated issues and resolution timelines, but I don't seem to recall ever feeling, that my services as experienced were either degraded or underperforming.

There were no scalbility issues so far. However, ours is not a large scale enterprise.

The ticketing process is simple and they are responsive. Sometimes they have to get back to me with findings (at times i’ve been surprised having not to expect it to be as complicated enough in order to warrant research) and then the phone tag can begin. Unless the problem is mission-critical or urgent, I let it slide. They might want to consider adding an asynchronous Yammer-like channel for customer support. I know I need a problem fixed, but commandeering time from my day instead of going back and forth about it. It would be really helpful to move the discussion forward without having to have my undivided attention on the support rep and that might be worth investigating into.

I had used Office Professional Pro without the cloud backbone. So, it doesn’t really seem comparable to this product. I have also used and still use the G Suite which is fine, but frankly it doesn’t seem as robust or exciting as the Office 365. I maintain both because some clients are Google people or otherwise have an aversion to MSFT while there are others who know and seem to love the Office 365 solution.

The non-changeable primary tenant DOMAIN.onmicrosoft.com was not explained clearly to me back then. I wound up opening a few instances, instead of adding multiple domains to a tenant. But what still has not been resolved are the branding issues, i.e., if your brand-expressing domains are not intuitively related to each other. For example, there is no mbamoralist.com yammer network b/c my primary domain is succelleratorsaas. If one legitimately owns the domains, one should not be locked into decisions about brand primacy that may have applied at that time but don’t today.

The number of SKUs and the varied configuration that MSFT offers is evidence, that they are segmenting the offers meticulously well.

Google Apps for Work/G Suite that I have used and like as well. I just think that MSFT Office 365 is appreciably a more powerful, detailed and granular tool.

What other advice do I have?

First of all, I was an enthusiastic and an early adopter of this product. Microsoft has made the onboarding process impressively robust and my learning pains back then, would not be those experienced by someone arriving new/fresh today. Still, the primary domain is something that one should give some consideration to, as it’s a lock-in decision.

it_user607398
SharePoint BI Developer at a non-tech company
Provides version control and helps manage the assignment of tasks.

What is most valuable?

People tend to keep their mistakes hidden. With version control, you only have access to what you need. Managing assignments of tasks can make a team effort be more transparent. The solution keeps people honest.

How has it helped my organization?

Team members can work together and make them more accountable.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements in connections to external content types and their connectors.

While consulting at a client’s office, I found it very difficult to connect SharePoint designer external content types to the IBM AS400 iSeries connector. I was also trying to connect to the JDE connector.

We have used this solution for six years.

At first there were some stability issues. However, Microsoft got much better with it over time.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I would rate technical support with an 8/10.

It was easier to set up in the earlier versions. Now it has many more bells to ring.

Cost to value is much better than on premise SharePoint.

We evaluated Amazon Web Services.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework first, plan governance, and then pull the trigger. Use a migration tool to add metadata to file share documents.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We do consulting services using Microsoft products only.
it_user607425
ICT Technical Coordinator at a retailer with 201-500 employees
Enables email and calendar availability, as well as sharing.

What is most valuable?

I like that mail and calendar are available anywhere. It is easy to share with colleagues.

How has it helped my organization?

I can make changes in seconds. It is easy to share the mailbox and the calendar. It is easy set the 'out of office' status.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft Excel for Mac (version 15.30) is very slow with a large Excel document. Microsoft Excel for Windows is much faster on the same Mac with Windows (Boot Camp). I’d like to see an improvement in the speed of Excel for Mac in relation to Windows.

We have used this solution for one and a half years.

Microsoft Excel on Mac OS can be very slow.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I would give technical support a rating of 8/10.

In our case, the installation was fairly easily, after good preparation and a plan of action. The migration of all old mailboxes to Microsoft Office 365 takes a long time. We completed this with no problems.

This is not the cheapest option, but the product can scale to the needs of the company.

We evaluated CommuniGate Pro Server and Kerio Connect Mail.

What other advice do I have?

Have a good plan with shared mail and calendars.

Assistant Manager, IT Infrastructure & Planning Division at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
SharePoint and Yammer are the most valuable features.

What is most valuable?

You know that there a lot of features are available. SharePoint and Yammer are the most valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

Any user can get updates from this portal easily.

What needs improvement?

• Yammer
  • RMS
  • Delve

I have used it for the last three years.

We have not encountered any deployment issues.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any issues like that.

Customer service is very good.

Technical support is very good.

We used only Google, but we have Microsoft AD, Exchange, SharePoint, System Center, Lync/Skype for Business, so that Office 365 Enterprise is the most important for us.

Initial setup was not complex.

We implemented it with our team.

We got a lot of ROI from the business site.

You need to compromise regarding the licensing and pricing.

I would recommend using products from the same vendor (i.e., Microsoft).

What other advice do I have?

It is excellent for any organization's business productivity.

IT Executive at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
My most recent deployment went off without issue.

What is most valuable?

• Exchange Online
  • SharePoint
  • Skype for Business
  • OneDrive

How has it helped my organization?

• Removed support and infrastructure of legacy technologies.

What needs improvement?

Be sure you understand ADFS and, if you decide to go with it, what you get and don't get with it. Your users will want it.

ADFS was sold to overcome the issues with entering passwords in all your clients (Outlook, Skype for Business, OneDrive) but, if your password changes, you do have to manually update passwords in all of these clients.

Also, this does not get you direct access to the 365 portal or SharePoint without modifying links to use Federated Services.

This becomes an issue if you use generic accounts for the shop. It will work if each of your users are required to use their own ID. Also, note there is a cost for the Azure instance of ADFS (servers, compute, network, VPN).

I have used it for nine years.

Deployment went very smoothly even in its infancy. My most recent deployment went off without issue.

Others report stability issues and there are often warnings in the console but the service has been flawless for us.

We have not encountered any scalability issues. We have probably increased our user base 20% since inception.

For general support, it is offshored and you open a ticket in the console. It works pretty well. For how-to's or best practices, you will need to have a good partner.

Generally, the technician has a good idea what you are trying to do. There is often a handoff to a group that can actually DO the work.

Our vendor assisted with setup using the Jump Start program. There are complexities with certificates, hybrid, etc., but overall, it went well.

A vendor team implemented it. I would rate them 10 of 10 at the time. Since then, our resource has moved on but they still have a pretty good skillset.

I don't have my spreadsheet handy but the ROI was there. Microsoft also provided significant incentives to make the move.

If it is an in-person query or reference, I do let them know the deal I got, as well as the approach that got me there.

Because of the significant investment we already had in Microsoft, this made the most sense; thus, I did not evaluate competitors.

What other advice do I have?

You may need ADFS; you may need a hybrid environment. Not everything necessarily goes away. Also, user management continues; it just moves to a new place (hosted/the cloud).