Okta Workforce Identity Overview

Okta Workforce Identity is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top ZTNA services. It is most often compared to Azure Active Directory: Okta Workforce Identity vs Azure Active Directory

What is Okta Workforce Identity?

Okta is an enterprise grade identity management service, built from the ground up in the cloud and delivered with an unwavering focus on customer success. With Okta, IT can manage access across any application, person or device. Whether the people are employees, partners or customers or the applications are in the cloud, on-premises or on a mobile device, Okta helps IT become more secure, make people more productive, and maintain compliance. Okta is an on-demand identity and access management service for web based applications, both in the cloud and behind the firewall.

Okta Workforce Identity Buyer's Guide

Download the Okta Workforce Identity Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Okta Workforce Identity Customers

Box, Groupon, National Geographic, Western Union, DocuSign

Okta Workforce Identity Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Okta Workforce Identity pricing:
  • "It could be a bit too pricey for small companies. Okta Workforce Identity can add a lot of benefits, but smaller companies may not have a lot of applications that need to be managed by Okta Workforce Identity. In larger organizations, there are more departments, applications, and users to manage. Okta Workforce Identity adds a bit more value to those bigger organizations. In addition to standard licensing fees, there are also additional costs for things"
  • "I believe it competes well. The pricing is pretty competitive. I know that Microsoft also provides something similar with its MFA and identity services."

SH
Managing Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Good product with ease of deployment, ease of use, speed of delivery, and easy integration with other software

What is our primary use case?

It has got a big network of apps that easily integrate into it, making deployments a lot faster than traditional identity platforms. So, the use case will be companies that are looking to be on a cloud journey for cloud adoption strategies. It also suits companies that have on-premise applications and would like to make them web-based, essentially, access them on one portal. Thus, allowing companies to ensure that they can pretty easily manage access to these applications by their users.

• "The ease of deployment, ease of use, and speed of delivery is what I like about Okta Workforce Identity. It is very easy to use. For a lot of software, you need to be trained extensively and have a very technical background. Okta Workforce Identity is quite simple. You can integrate any software into Okta. They've got a network of 7,000 applications that easily integrate into it."
  • "It would be pricing, which is a tough one because it goes against Microsoft. A lot of companies say they're a Microsoft partner, and they get all their software for free. Okta is like a luxury product, and it's not the most affordable one. I would say if they could work on pricing, it would help. Other than that, they've done great strides in developing a product that is really good. The companies that do see the value tend to invest in it."

What other advice do I have?

Okta Workforce Identity can be suitable for smaller companies, whereas Okta Workforce Identity is suitable for a bit bigger companies, but they serve different purposes. Essentially, Okta Workforce Identity is for medium and large companies. I would say for companies with at least 50 users, but then these companies should really see the value in Okta Workforce Identity. I guess when you start talking about 200 employees upwards, that's where Okta Workforce Identity really starts creating a lot of value. Okta has recently created a business value assessment. Those who are starting the process…
PR
Sales Executive at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable, with good scalability and very little maintenance

What is our primary use case?

Okta essentially helps us to onboard employees. We do have difficulty onboarding specific employees, as we're a growing company. Okta helps us provision the software as a service applications that we have in our company for the new hires. We do about 5% software as a service application. Once they join the company, it's a simpler process and a quick onboarding process for them.

• "The product requires very little maintenance."
  • "The initial setup can be complex at first."

What other advice do I have?

We're integrators. The solution is chopped up into modules. You'll sign on to the multifactor authentication and life cycle management components. We're pretty satisfied with the product. It may be daunting at first, however, once you get the hang of it, it gets easier. I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. It's checked all the boxes for our organization.
Learn what your peers think about Okta Workforce Identity. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
510,882 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MB
Application Support Leader at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Stable sign-on with provisioning and has the ability to enable and disable features

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is a single sign-on software. We apply a menu to everyone in the company with software that they have access to and allowing them to use that as a single point of sign-on for all of their applications.

• "This solution allows us to do the provisioning. Also the most important for us is the ability to enable and disable features to employees as they onboard and offboard."
  • "I don't know if it is possible to make it simpler to use or simpler to understand, but that would be the most important thing to improve."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I think that people have to first do a good mapping of how their use case needs to be installed so that they can do it as easily as possible. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
SuryakantKale
Chief Technology Officer at Windval Technology Solutions LLC
Easy to implement and manage, and the cost benefits are valuable

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Okta is one of the products that we implement for our clients. I am a solution architect and help to design the system. Most of our clients have a hybrid architecture where they want to use a single sign-on. They have some applications on-premises, whereas others are on the public cloud. This means that they have a two-tier or three-tier architecture.

• "The most valuable features are ease of operation and visibility."
  • "The integration with third-party tools needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

Every customer has a different need and a different requirement. For anybody who is considering this product, I think they should do a pilot POC to make sure that it works well in their environment. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Thiago Lopes
Information Security Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
An easy setup with easy management capabilities and a full set of features

What is our primary use case?

The primarily use of the solution has been for education and to support our Federation identification as well. We also use it for a Google IDM, in that you use it to segregate our Google DCB environment and provide for our engineers.

• "The initial setup is easy."
  • "The pricing could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We're resellers. We have a business relationship with the organization. I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm currently using right now. This, overall, is a very good solution. It can solve a lot of problems related to compliance regulations. We looked at this kind of solution as we don't have a PCI. It works well for us. I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten.
Esteban Quinones
Manager, Identity Management Services at Verisk Analytics
Increased user satisfaction through improved provisioning times and more reliable processes but should have Integration with the user provisioning infrastructure

What is our primary use case?

SSO and MFA: To extend Identity Authentication on the existing IAM identity and account operations to the multiple domains for administrative and help desk personnel. Improve consistency of the identity management processes across the organization and improve compliance with governance mandates. The access management with Okta revolves around the establishment of a single authentication store (reducing the number of accounts), which will allow the migration of existing applications to federations, or a common identity store. It will also establish a suite of centralized authentication services… more »

• "Enabled MFA to access federated applications as well as increased user satisfaction through improved provisioning times and more reliable processes."
  • "SSO and MFA for improved end-user experience, and protection against password spray attacks, account password self-service."
SR
Information Technology Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Provides the security that we were looking at and a number of options for multifactor authentication

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use it for MFA for logging into our Windows RDS environment and a web-based application called Tableau. We are using the latest version.

• "The MFA part is the best. MFA provided most of the security that we were looking at with respect to the second level of authentication. Okta Workforce Identity provides a number of options with respect to multifactor authentication, such as the app, phone call, and text. These options provide different ways of logging in for users, and they were a lot more than what we needed. This is certainly a very good feature of Okta Workforce Identity."
  • "They also have single sign-on (SSO). When we bought Okta Workforce Identity a year and a half ago, I was also looking at SSO, but not much documentation was available for SSO. The documentation for SSO should be a little more robust for somebody who is implementing it for the first time."

What other advice do I have?

It has been sufficient for our needs. I haven't seen any issues, so I would say it is a good product. If there was anything, the users would have complained, but I haven't received any complaints with respect to Okta Workforce Identity from the users. I would rate Okta Workforce Identity a nine out of ten.
JS
Senior Director of Application Services and Process Management at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliable, good multifactor authentication and single sign-on functionality, and helpful support

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for MFA and single sign-on. It's our enterprise-wide identity management system. It identifies all of our users prior to accessing any of our applications.

• "It's reliable and it does what it is advertised to do."
  • "The guest user access could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

Follow along with what Okta recommends. I would rate Okta Workforce Identity a ten out of ten.
See 7 more Okta Workforce Identity Reviews
Download our free Okta Workforce Identity Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.