Okta Workforce Identity OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Okta Workforce Identity is #1 ranked solution in top ZTNA services, #2 ranked solution in top Identity and Access Management as a Service providers, and #2 ranked solution in top Access Management tools. IT Central Station users give Okta Workforce Identity an average rating of 8 out of 10. Okta Workforce Identity is most commonly compared to Google Cloud Identity: Okta Workforce Identity vs Google Cloud Identity.Okta Workforce Identity is popular among Large Enterprise, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution is Computer Software Company, accounting for 31% of all views.
What is Okta Workforce Identity?

Okta is an enterprise grade identity management service, built from the ground up in the cloud and delivered with an unwavering focus on customer success. With Okta, IT can manage access across any application, person or device. Whether the people are employees, partners or customers or the applications are in the cloud, on-premises or on a mobile device, Okta helps IT become more secure, make people more productive, and maintain compliance. Okta is an on-demand identity and access management service for web based applications, both in the cloud and behind the firewall.

Okta Workforce Identity Buyer's Guide

Download the Okta Workforce Identity Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Okta Workforce Identity Customers

Box, Groupon, National Geographic, Western Union, DocuSign

Okta Workforce Identity Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Okta Workforce Identity pricing:
  • "It could be a bit too pricey for small companies. Okta Workforce Identity can add a lot of benefits, but smaller companies may not have a lot of applications that need to be managed by Okta Workforce Identity. In larger organizations, there are more departments, applications, and users to manage. Okta Workforce Identity adds a bit more value to those bigger organizations. In addition to standard licensing fees, there are also additional costs for things"
  • "I believe it competes well. The pricing is pretty competitive. I know that Microsoft also provides something similar with its MFA and identity services."

Okta Workforce Identity Reviews

SH
Managing Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Good product with ease of deployment, ease of use, speed of delivery, and easy integration with other software

• "The ease of deployment, ease of use, and speed of delivery is what I like about Okta Workforce Identity. It is very easy to use. For a lot of software, you need to be trained extensively and have a very technical background. Okta Workforce Identity is quite simple. You can integrate any software into Okta. They've got a network of 7,000 applications that easily integrate into it."
  • "It would be pricing, which is a tough one because it goes against Microsoft. A lot of companies say they're a Microsoft partner, and they get all their software for free. Okta is like a luxury product, and it's not the most affordable one. I would say if they could work on pricing, it would help. Other than that, they've done great strides in developing a product that is really good. The companies that do see the value tend to invest in it."

What is our primary use case?

It has got a big network of apps that easily integrate into it, making deployments a lot faster than traditional identity platforms. So, the use case will be companies that are looking to be on a cloud journey for cloud adoption strategies. It also suits companies that have on-premise applications and would like to make them web-based, essentially, access them on one portal. Thus, allowing companies to ensure that they can pretty easily manage access to these applications by their users.

What is most valuable?

The ease of deployment, ease of use, and speed of delivery is what I like about Okta Workforce Identity.

It is very easy to use. For a lot of software, you need to be trained extensively and have a very technical background. Okta Workforce Identity is quite simple.

You can integrate any software into Okta. They've got a network of 7,000 applications that easily integrate into it.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for the last two years.

They're really great stability-wise. The last year they've had like 99.9% uptime. They're really good for SLAs and things like that.

Scalability is probably one of its best attributes.

They're pretty good. I know they're a big organization, and they have a lot of clients. So, it's a place where they're always looking to improve, but from my side, it's been really good.

It's pretty straightforward. If you need it, you get great support from Okta as well.

They provide a lot of datasheet information and step-by-step ways to deploy the solution. They're doing really well on this front.

For deployment, right now, it's me and one more person. If we need any additional support, we get it locally in South Africa from a distributor who has a technical team skilled in Okta. Whenever I need more support, I go to them or directly to Okta, or the client can pay yearly fees for additional support if they need it.

In addition to standard licensing fees, there are also additional costs for things like additional support and so on.

What other advice do I have?

Okta Workforce Identity can be suitable for smaller companies, whereas Okta Workforce Identity is suitable for a bit bigger companies, but they serve different purposes.

Essentially, Okta Workforce Identity is for medium and large companies. I would say for companies with at least 50 users, but then these companies should really see the value in Okta Workforce Identity. I guess when you start talking about 200 employees upwards, that's where Okta Workforce Identity really starts creating a lot of value.

Okta has recently created a business value assessment. Those who are starting the process and looking into Okta must be open-minded to the value assessment with the Okta team or with the person at the company that is selling the solution to them. Just be patient, see the value, and not be so caught up in thinking that Microsoft is a great product. I think Okta is way better.

I would, a hundred percent, recommend Okta than Microsoft. Essentially, Microsoft wants you to stay within their stack, whereas Okta is neutral. You can integrate any software into Okta or any application, whereas Microsoft takes a bit longer, or they may not support the integration and so forth.

I would rate Okta Workforce Identity a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
PR
Sales Executive at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable, with good scalability and very little maintenance

• "The product requires very little maintenance."
  • "The initial setup can be complex at first."

What is our primary use case?

Okta essentially helps us to onboard employees. We do have difficulty onboarding specific employees, as we're a growing company. Okta helps us provision the software as a service applications that we have in our company for the new hires. We do about 5% software as a service application. Once they join the company, it's a simpler process and a quick onboarding process for them.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution helps speed up and simplify the onboarding process for new hires.

What is most valuable?

The onboarding is the solution's most valuable aspect. It helps us save time in terms of creating a password for each of the SaaS applications versus Okta, where you have this one single pane of glass to see who has what application or who needs which application. It also alerts us to if we should provide that application to this person from that department.

They've improved their user interface, which is much better than previous versions.

The solution is very stable.

The product requires very little maintenance.

The pricing is fair.

The scalability is quite good.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to improve its own marketing. It's a great solution, however, most people don't know what it does. It should be first in line for onboarding employees.

The solution should continue to work to improve its interface and make it more user-friendly.

The initial setup can be complex at first.

I've been using the solution for a year and a half or so. It hasn't been that long.

The solution is extremely stable. there are no bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution scales well. It does so very quickly.

We have ten to 16 people on the solution so far.

I've never been in touch with technical support. We are pretty well-versed enough to support ourselves. We do not require their services.

The initial setup, for new users, is a bit difficult. It does get easier with time and practice, however. It's complex in that when you jump into the dashboard and you look at the screen, it's either a mish-mash of information, or, it starts off with a single sign-on, and then you have to look at the other components. They force you to look for the other components within menus. Everything is hidden. It's not clearly defined when you open the dashboard. That's one of the hurdles that we've had when setting everything up. It's just not intuitive and not clear where all the elements are in the menus.

As a SaaS solution, the product does not require very much maintenance at all. Any maintenance is more around governance and administration.

We are an integrator. We help our clients implement the solution.

The solution is designed to be a software as a service, or SaaS. The pricing comes at a moderate cost. It's not the most expensive option on the market.

Their prices are publicly listed on the website. Any additional fees would definitely come into play if you need professional services from Okta themselves.

What other advice do I have?

We're integrators.

The solution is chopped up into modules. You'll sign on to the multifactor authentication and life cycle management components.

We're pretty satisfied with the product. It may be daunting at first, however, once you get the hang of it, it gets easier.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. It's checked all the boxes for our organization.

Other
Learn what your peers think about Okta Workforce Identity. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MB
Application Support Leader at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Stable sign-on with provisioning and has the ability to enable and disable features

• "This solution allows us to do the provisioning. Also the most important for us is the ability to enable and disable features to employees as they onboard and offboard."
  • "I don't know if it is possible to make it simpler to use or simpler to understand, but that would be the most important thing to improve."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is a single sign-on software. We apply a menu to everyone in the company with software that they have access to and allowing them to use that as a single point of sign-on for all of their applications.

What is most valuable?

This solution allows us to do the provisioning. Also the most important for us is the ability to enable and disable features for employees as they onboard and offboard.

What needs improvement?

It is a complex solution, and you need a good understanding of how to use it correctly. Otherwise, you can't take full advantage of what it offers and it becomes difficult to use.

In the next release, I would like to see them add other solutions to their suite of products.

I would like to see better integration with other software.

The ability to do the provisioning is a great feature and there is some software where they can sign-on but they can't do the provisioning.

I have been using this solution for two years.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable.

We are a medium-sized company and we haven't run into any issues.

We have just under one thousand users.

We have contacted the technical support and it has been very good.

We had some issues that involved cross-company problems. Because Okta as a single source sign-on that also integrates with several other products there can be a lot of issues.

Sometimes you need to involve other companies as well.

We had one similar issue and it was resolved nicely. It took some time, but they managed it from a central point easily until it was successfully resolved.

This is the first Single Sign-On solution that we have been using.

The initial setup is simple.

We did not use a vendor or an integrator to implement this solution, we did it ourselves.

Before choosing, we did a proof of concept for both Okta and OneLogin and we like the way Okta integrated.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

I think that people have to first do a good mapping of how their use case needs to be installed so that they can do it as easily as possible.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

PG
Customer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Scalable with good technical support and an easy setup

• "The solution so far has been very stable."
  • "The solution can be quite expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Okta as a service where users can access our services that are maintained in the cloud or on other websites.

What is most valuable?

We like the access the solution provides to our users.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The solution so far has been very stable.

The scalability has been good.

Technical support is helpful.

What needs improvement?

Okta can consider to become also a password vaulting manager. We also didn't find an option to setup access to web services that require second factor authentication. Also it's hard to figure out which license is responsible for which features and how are they correlated.

We've been using the solution since February.

The solution is stable. We did not really have any problems. At least, our internal customers, our employees, did not claim that anything happened with Okta. We haven't heard of bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It seems to be reliable.

It's my understanding that the solution can scale.

At our company, we have about 500 users on the product.

From time to time we add some other applications that are also in Okta, or we try to add new applications by ourselves, based on templates that are in Okta. We are using Okta on a daily basis, let's say. Maybe not for maintenance, however, our users use it.

We had some contact with technical support at the beginning and it was rather good. We are satisfied with the level of support we can get.

The implementation was rather straightforward. It wasn't too complex or difficult. We had some issues, however, they were solved.

Deployment took about a month or so.

We had two people handle the deployment.

We had a session with the reseller, however, we did run a trial a few months earlier. Then, in February, or in December last year, after this trial, we were able to implement it by ourselves.

We pay for the solution on a yearly basis. We recognize it as quite expensive.

We were using a standard license during the trial. We felt that we would get more features. However, there were some misunderstandings with our reseller and the reseller did not know this product very well. Therefore, it was hard at the beginning to get to know which features were covered under which license.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

SuryakantKale
Chief Technology Officer at Windval Technology Solutions LLC
Easy to implement and manage, and the cost benefits are valuable

• "The most valuable features are ease of operation and visibility."
  • "The integration with third-party tools needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Okta is one of the products that we implement for our clients. I am a solution architect and help to design the system.

Most of our clients have a hybrid architecture where they want to use a single sign-on. They have some applications on-premises, whereas others are on the public cloud. This means that they have a two-tier or three-tier architecture.

How has it helped my organization?

Our clients are happy because prior to implementation, they had a very distributed architecture. Okta has allowed them to consolidate with respect to identity management, which increases their operational efficiency.

This product has the features that every customer is looking for.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are ease of operation and visibility.

This product is easy to deploy and easy to manage.

There are cost benefits to using this solution.

What needs improvement?

The integration with third-party tools needs to be improved. Mainly, the open-source APIs for Splunk would be helpful, as that is where they aggregate most of the data. If this process can be streamlined then it will definitely help.

I have been working with Okta for the past three years.

This is a stable product.

This solution is scalable. Our clients are large, Fortune 500 businesses.

Okta has very good support and I would score them high, at nine out of ten. I am definitely happy with them.

Prior to working with Okta, our clients had native solutions.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We currently have one customer deployed on AWS and another on Azure.

I am the solution architect and our in-house team does the implementation.

As part of the process, our clients did a couple of POCs. Symantec was one of them, Okta was another, and there was a third product that they evaluated. During this process, they had success criteria defined, and Okta did well with most of it.

The metrics included the operation and cost benefits, the business value, and the support.

What other advice do I have?

Every customer has a different need and a different requirement. For anybody who is considering this product, I think they should do a pilot POC to make sure that it works well in their environment.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Thiago Lopes
Information Security Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
An easy setup with easy management capabilities and a full set of features

• "The initial setup is easy."
  • "The pricing could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The primarily use of the solution has been for education and to support our Federation identification as well. We also use it for a Google IDM, in that you use it to segregate our Google DCB environment and provide for our engineers.

What is most valuable?

Overall, the solution works perfectly.

We especially appreciate that it's very easy to manage. For me, as a manager, it brings a lot of value for us and makes our clients very happy.

The initial setup is easy.

The solution really does have all of the features we need.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved. Right now, it's a bit expensive. They should work to make it more affordable.

In general, the solution isn't really missing any features. It's rather complete. I can't recall anything that would need to be added into future updates.

I've been dealing with the solution for about a year and a half or something like that. It hasn't been too long.

The stability has been perfect. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's performance is reliable. We're quite satisfied.

Being a cloud product, and like other cloud products, the solution can scale quite well. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so with ease. It's very accommodating.

Currently, we have more than 130 users on the solution.

I can't speak to the quality of technical support. I've never used them. I couldn't say if they are knowledgeable or responsive. I have no personal experience in the matter.

The initial implementation is not overly complex. It's easy. It's rather straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the setup process.

The deployment is pretty quick. We had everything set up within a week or so. It's not a long, drawn-out process by any means.

The pricing is a bit costly. It could be lower.

What other advice do I have?

We're resellers. We have a business relationship with the organization.

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm currently using right now.

This, overall, is a very good solution. It can solve a lot of problems related to compliance regulations. We looked at this kind of solution as we don't have a PCI. It works well for us.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten.

Esteban Quinones
Manager, Identity Management Services at Verisk Analytics
Increased user satisfaction through improved provisioning times and more reliable processes but should have Integration with the user provisioning infrastructure

• "Enabled MFA to access federated applications as well as increased user satisfaction through improved provisioning times and more reliable processes."
  • "SSO and MFA for improved end-user experience, and protection against password spray attacks, account password self-service."

What is our primary use case?

SSO and MFA: To extend Identity Authentication on the existing IAM identity and account operations to the multiple domains for administrative and help desk personnel. Improve consistency of the identity management processes across the organization and improve compliance with governance mandates.

The access management with Okta revolves around the establishment of a single authentication store (reducing the number of accounts), which will allow the migration of existing applications to federations, or a common identity store. It will also establish a suite of centralized authentication services that can be used for future applications and systems platforms.

How has it helped my organization?

• Enabled MFA to access federated applications as well as increased user satisfaction through improved provisioning times and more reliable processes.
  • Reduced costs associated with paying for AD accounts for customers who use corporate applications (currently 4000+ customer IDs exist within the AD forest – these require a license at a substantial cost to the organization).
  • Increased productivity through centralization of IAM Authentication - Authorization operations to a single tool (ISIM), and better operational resiliency with distributed administration (Common tasks can now be handled by a more diverse set of individuals across the organization.

What is most valuable?

SSO and MFA for improved end-user experience, and protection against password spray attacks, account password self-service. Extend Identity Authentication and authorization management operations. Extend the existing IAM identity and account operations to divisional administrative and help desk personnel. This improves the consistency of the identity management processes across the organization. Obfuscating the AD account infrastructure from the application infrastructure to reduce risk and vulnerabilities associated with tying externally facing applications to corporate accounts.

What needs improvement?

• Passwordless authentication.
    • Integration with the user provisioning infrastructure to track all entitlement changes; simplify the modeling of the role and access definitions at every stage of the user life cycle.
    • Automation of the entire entitlement and role review process, in alignment with business needs and requirements as stated by business leaders and managers.
    • Oversight in the form of dashboards reconciling and centralizing information for immediate insight into the status of access reviews and certification processes.

3 years.

They work really well.

I did not have another access management solution in place prior to implementing.

It was straightforward for access management with SSO and MFA. It was complex to implement password synchronization between AD domains.

We implemented directly with the solutions provider.

We evaluated IBM Access Manager but decided to go with a cloud-based product.

SR
    Information Technology Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Provides the security that we were looking at and a number of options for multifactor authentication

• "The MFA part is the best. MFA provided most of the security that we were looking at with respect to the second level of authentication. Okta Workforce Identity provides a number of options with respect to multifactor authentication, such as the app, phone call, and text. These options provide different ways of logging in for users, and they were a lot more than what we needed. This is certainly a very good feature of Okta Workforce Identity."
    • "They also have single sign-on (SSO). When we bought Okta Workforce Identity a year and a half ago, I was also looking at SSO, but not much documentation was available for SSO. The documentation for SSO should be a little more robust for somebody who is implementing it for the first time."

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use it for MFA for logging into our Windows RDS environment and a web-based application called Tableau. We are using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

The MFA part is the best. MFA provided most of the security that we were looking at with respect to the second level of authentication. Okta Workforce Identity provides a number of options with respect to multifactor authentication, such as the app, phone call, and text. These options provide different ways of logging in for users, and they were a lot more than what we needed. This is certainly a very good feature of Okta Workforce Identity.

What needs improvement?

They also have single sign-on (SSO). When we bought Okta Workforce Identity a year and a half ago, I was also looking at SSO, but not much documentation was available for SSO. The documentation for SSO should be a little more robust for somebody who is implementing it for the first time.

I have been using Okta Workforce Identity for almost one and a half years.

It is stable. I never faced any issues with its stability.

I have not scaled it much. The company for which we implemented this solution is into data mining or data analytics. They had multiple users. Most of the users were data scientists. I was the only one looking at it in terms of management.

There were a couple of occasions where I needed some support while setting it up for our RDS environment. Their technical support was educated enough with respect to the product. They were able to help us out and resolve the issue pretty quickly. I would say they are good on the support part.

Setting up the MFA for Windows RDS was very straightforward. Using it with Tableau was not very straightforward. It was a bit complex, but the documentation was handy enough to set it up.

I believe it competes well. The pricing is pretty competitive. I know that Microsoft also provides something similar with its MFA and identity services.

What other advice do I have?

It has been sufficient for our needs. I haven't seen any issues, so I would say it is a good product. If there was anything, the users would have complained, but I haven't received any complaints with respect to Okta Workforce Identity from the users.

I would rate Okta Workforce Identity a nine out of ten.

Download our free Okta Workforce Identity Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.