One Identity Manager Overview

One Identity Manager is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top User Provisioning Software. It is most often compared to SailPoint IdentityIQ: One Identity Manager vs SailPoint IdentityIQ

What is One Identity Manager?

One Identity Manager helps you mitigate risk, secure data, meet uptime requirements and satisfy compliance by giving your users access to data and applications they need and nothing more. IAM can be driven by business needs, not IT capabilities. With Identity Manager, you can manage user identities, privileges and security across the enterprise, putting you in control of identity management and taking the burden off your IT staff.

One Identity Manager is also known as Quest One Identity Manager, Dell One Identity Manager.

One Identity Manager Buyer's Guide

Download the One Identity Manager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

One Identity Manager Customers

Texas A&M, Sky Media, BHF Bank, Swiss Post, Union Investment, Wayne State University. More at OneIdentity.com/casestudies

One Identity Manager Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

AE
MrOak
Senior System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Apr 16, 2019
The solution is flexible. It can do almost anything.

What is our primary use case?

It manages our Active Directory and SAP user accounts according to HR data and assigns permissions via request or rules.

• "The business role management feature is pretty good because we have a lot of dynamic roles, and you can configure it with the filters."
  • "The solution does lots of things that we did manually before."
  • "Make the logging and debugging easier to find, because I'm always confused, "Where do I have to go to turn this log on if I want to see it?""
AF
Governan611e
Governance Team Lead at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Apr 15, 2019
It allows you to build anything on top of it, but the web portal can be a bit muggy

What is our primary use case?

We use it for all things related to identity in our organization.

• "It is a flexible because it is customizable. It allows you to build anything on top of it."
  • "The web portal can be a bit muggy at times. This is one of the key complaints from our customers."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it as a seven out of ten, because there is definitely room for improvement.
Learn what your peers think about One Identity Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
475,705 professionals have used our research since 2012.
FS
IamSpeci9969
IAM Specialist at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 15, 2019
The initial setup is fairly easy. To set up the workflows, you need good knowledge of the product.

What is our primary use case?

We use it to facilitate our total identity and access management process, from HR to our target systems are using this product.

• "The product is flexible. For example, it offers cloud features."
  • "The product makes it easier for employees to be more productive."
  • "We are trying to get rid stability issues from the legacy version. We are now implementing version 8.2, which is so much better than version 6."
  • "We would like the product to integrate with ServiceNow, since One Identity Manager and ServiceNow are two of our better tools."

What other advice do I have?

We are trying to achieve more targeted systems in the future. We do not use the policy and role management features. We have not integrated with SAP.
Pascal Stockmann
Consultant at igf-logic GmbH
Apr 14, 2019
It is easy to extend the product for custom purposes

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for the solution for the last several years was migrating from version 6 or older to version 7 or 8. Most of the time, we implement new features, optimize existing features, or do project management for the customer.

• "It is easy to extend the product for custom purposes."
  • "There are several smaller parts of the tool that have room for improvement."

What other advice do I have?

Look at one or two videos online on the One Identity YouTube channel. Get in touch with some of their people and possible get a short preview of their products. That is the easiest way, so you can set up a test environment pretty fast be shown how simple the processes work. One Identity has a very strong community combined with the tool. They also have a very good relationship between partners, customers, and themselves. It is easy to extend the product for custom purposes.
MG
Consultac8c1
Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Apr 14, 2019
It's very flexible; you can use it for almost every situation for every customer

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to allow users to quickly administrate their permissions and data.

• "It's very flexible. You can customize it to the fullest extent. You can use it for almost every situation for every customer."
  • "The initial set up was quite complex. It takes quite some time to get use to this product because of its complexity."

What other advice do I have?

It will impact the cloud strategy of a lot of customers in the future. We just started to implement this feature for customers, so it should have a huge impact in the future. We have not integrated the solution with SAP.
JP
Reviewer235911
Product Specialist at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Apr 14, 2019
The solution is stable, but slow

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to handle identities.

• "We have seen a slight reduction in help desk calls, as this solution is a self-service product."
  • "The initial setup was complex. It is an extremely complicated thing to replace an entire self-built solution."
  • "The tool to develop the web portal needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

Think through what is most important and your strategy, especially your cloud strategy. Look at the different competitors in the market, including this one. Our cloud strategy is impacting what we decide to roll out. We have not implemented the privileged account governance features yet.
Michael Botek
CEO at IT Design Software Projects and Consulting
Apr 14, 2019
The solution solves our customers' compliance issues and optimizes their administration

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the identity lifecycle.

• "The solution is flexible because you can realize the customer needs. Therefore, it is easy to upgrade specialized things. It provides the flexibly, so you can implement customers' use cases."
  • "With technical support, it is always an issue to get the right person. They do have good technical people in support, but it is sometimes not so easy to get them."

What other advice do I have?

The solution is used very often in the market. There are a lot of satisfied customers using the product. They are a lot of partners who can help you implement it, if you are interested. We know few other products in this industry. The flexibility, long term plan, and roadmap are very good. Also, its future is looking good.
Miska Siirto
Lead Solution Architect at Tieto Sweden AB
Apr 14, 2019
You can scale it quite big, which is good, and it has good sizing

What is our primary use case?

We using it internally. We are also offering it to our customers as a managed service.

• "It brings simplicity into complex matters."
  • "You can scale it quite big, which is good. It has good sizing."
  • "It is a large solution where you need to learn how to work in a certain way for it to provide the best benefit."
  • "I would like some access management features to be added. We have some customers with a small need to do authentication as a service, and there are other solutions on the market which offer this."

What other advice do I have?

I think it's one of the best solutions on the market. It is a big task to implement alone, so ask a lot of questions if looking to implement. You can see and do a quite a lot. It is really open in that way, but going out and trying to do stuff which it isn't meant to do, that's much harder. I wouldn't go there. However, it's gives you a good framework to work and build on. The policy and role management features work. They are getting better all the time. I don't really have a better experience from other solutions. I am just learning the privileged account governance features and how they…
Umit Yilmaz
Owner at UY IAM Consultancy
Apr 11, 2019
The policy and role management features are superb

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is implementing them at the customer site, according to the customer's business needs. E.g., certain customers needs an attestation case. The reason for implementing this solution is the need to become somewhat more in control. There is also the ease of use for connecting products to target systems, like an Active Directory or Exchange.

• "The policy and role management features are superb. If you have a customer who is willing to go somewhere with role management, then the possibilities are endless with the product. It is well-structured, and the architecture is well-defined."
  • "Some features aren't supported by the technical support. It is based on your own risk, which I can accept, but I would be happier if they would provide me some additional information about them anyway, e.g., deleting tables or columns."

What other advice do I have?

It isn't that hard of a product to use. It's actually very easy to set up. Your business case is much easier than you think, forget the word complex. Just use the product as it is meant to be used, and it will make your life easier. It will also make your customers much happier, reducing the time to implement something or making the company grow. I have done some basic SAP integrations just using the out-of-the-box connectors. After connecting it, the customers with their own technical teams go in and clean up SAP. The customers that I am working with haven't moved to the cloud yet or are just…
KM
Principa2d20
Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 11, 2019
It has many features which can be combined and configured in a great way

What is our primary use case?

We implement One Identity Manager for our customers.

• "It has many features which can be combined and configured in a great way, then put together in projects and ways that developers didn't think were possible, which has been great."
  • "The UI and user experience side of things needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

Compare all the solutions and all the things that you can do on them: How easy you can set it up and how fast it can grow. Because identity management will grow with you, and you have to have a product which can grow with your organization.
MP
ProductMe39b
Senior Product Manager for Identity & Access Management at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
Apr 11, 2019
We are creating, managing, and provisioning in SAP, as it is a fully integrated solution

What is our primary use case?

We are managing the entire trend for our identity management, from HR hire until offboarding. We use it for managing all the IT accounts in the company, which has hundreds of thousands of identities.

• "At the time of the onboarding, this is solution that we have interfacing with HR. On the same day an employee is hired, an account is created and available for the manager when the end user arrives. The opposite is true. The moment employment is terminated, the same day everything is disabled, then later deleted."
  • "The back-end, its capabilities, and workflows are very good."
  • "I would like it to have an easier integration with phones."

What other advice do I have?

Define what you are researching. Write down use cases you need. Then, ask for a demo with you data, so you can see actual results. We are working on our IT cloud strategy. We are starting to do cloud provisioning integrated with our identity management. We use it for compliance, but not directly for GDPR. We are using the policy and role management features.
BF
Vp841f
VP at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Apr 11, 2019
This solution helps with compliance by having a way of controlling an audit trail, but it is not really scalable

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is managing business applications.

• "This solution is quite flexible. We have a lot of customization since we have our own business processes."
  • "This solution helps with compliance by having a way of controlling an audit trail, knowing how things are done, and knowing how to control who has access to what."
  • "The policy and role management features are a bit hard to scale. The whole model for who can do what and how to set it up is not so well-governed for a larger organization. The demos are always shown for a 100 or a 1000 people, but when it is a large number, it is quite difficult to maintain."
  • "Their technical support's attitude is a bit strange. Quite often, we have to prove that there is a problem with the product rather than having them prove that there is not a problem with the product."

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate how you can do the rollout, how will you approach the rollout, and if you have other application. Check how you are going to do the rollout and plan for it, then evaluate the products against it. It has increased our help desk calls a lot. We probably have between 60 and 100 access calls related to access management processes in One Identity Manager a day. One Identity Manager has not impacted our cloud strategy and its management.
Marta Dern
Analyst at Grifols
Apr 10, 2019
Facilitated the customization of all our workflows for approvals

What is our primary use case?

We are using One Identity Manager to manage user access requests. Then we manage the provision, as well as the provision of those users. We get the identities from SAP and then we provide them whatever access they are requesting.

• "The biggest improvement has been the auditing. Now we have a record of what the users have, what the users have requested and when, and when things were approved. It's all in the same system."
  • "The initial setup was complex."

What other advice do I have?

For this or any other similar solution, make sure you have the maturity to go forward with an identity management project. If you are at that point, this solution is a good option to look at because it's really flexible. It makes it possible to do a lot of things. We are getting comfortable with the solution. We're just at the very beginning. We are in production but not for the whole company, so we are not enjoying all the benefits of the solution. In terms of the privileged account governance features, we are not there yet. We are now investigating them and they look fine but, we are…
AC
LeadTech080f
Lead Technology Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Apr 10, 2019
Enables us to customize the user interface and the workflow processes

What is our primary use case?

We use it for meeting compliance requirements.

• "Its flexibility is the most valuable feature, the way we can customize the user interface and the workflow processes."
  • "The support for DevOps could be improved with quick delivery cycles and multiple delivery streams."

What other advice do I have?

Think about what the out-of-the-box features are in the product and how those map into your business requirements. Perhaps look at revisiting the business requirements to better fit with the product. We integrated the solution with SAP, given that we already had a significant SAP deployment for our financial services. Because I wasn't involved in that I can't comment on how that process went. In terms of our cloud strategy, One Identity Manager hasn't impacted it. The solution will fit within that strategy. I would rate it at eight out of ten. It meets most of our business requirements. We can…
PL
Patricia Lara
Supervisor at Hartmann AG
Apr 10, 2019
We have reduced about 60% of our help desk calls, but the performance is poor on our older version

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use One Identity Manager for the tasks of onboarding and offboarding business roles, assigning permissions, and ensuring that we have a record in auditing to fill out compliance needs.

• "We have reduced about 60% of our help desk calls, especially for onboarding and simple tasks that do One Identity automation."
  • "The performance is quite bad, but this is because we have a very old version."
  • "Visually, I would like it to be more user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

Check the big picture and what exactly the company needs. Choose the partner wisely. It's always important to make a successful implementation. One Identity Manager is good because it allows you to choose at a granular level exactly what you need for the business. This is not how it's implemented currently with us, but especially in compliance GDPR and privacy settings, you can have more granular permissions on privileged accounts and be able to monitor who makes changes on the accounts in IDN. We only have very basic functions now. However, the solution will have an impact on the roadmap of…
Kars Wittens
Service Owner at Rabobank
Apr 10, 2019
Workflow feature is key for us, but the solution needs to improve on integration

What is our primary use case?

We use it to give the right access to the right resources.

• "Workflow management is an important feature. With other identity management products, there was no workflow management so we had to build it ourselves."
  • "I would like to see a lot more integration with our platforms, more on the connector side."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product which provides great opportunities. Regarding the policy and role management features, I hear they're good. I don't know that part as well, but I have heard from the engineers they're pretty okay. We have integrated One Identity Manager with SAP, but we're moving from SAP as an HR system to the Workday system. We're in the middle of that integration right now. The original integration with SAP was done before I started using the product, but I from what I heard it was pretty okay. But you have to have a lot of knowledge of One Identity Manager before you can start…
DP
Solutionfcd3
Solution Designer at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Apr 10, 2019
It helps us save on licenses for applications because we are following the account lifecycle

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for us is to follow the identity lifecycle, starting from feature improvement up to many accounts along with targeted systems.

• "The most valuable features of this solution are its handling and that it is easy to maintain and manage the data."
  • "It would be nice to have more functionality in terms of connecting SAP systems, provisioning user accounts through SAP systems, and provisioning additional attributes."

What other advice do I have?

The product is a nine out of ten because 80 to 90 percent of our requirements are out-of-the-box. Consider the speed of implementation, amount of customization, and the authentications if you are comparing between tools. Operations is also a topic: Is it easy to operate and is there a dedicated operational team? We have integrated with SAP because SAP has connected systems. I like the integrated approach of the privileged account governance features.
Tadej Grebensek
IT Engineer at Gorenje
Apr 9, 2019
Our employees get everything that they need the day that they start

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage identities, We have around 12,000 employees who need to be managed, which is a lot of people worldwide. It is sort of stressful to manage proactively unless you have automated systems.

• "The solution is flexible. You can customize it a lot. You can can build connectors, connecting them to a new application, and so on."
  • "The initial setup was quite complex because you run into some existing policies that the company already had. There was some trouble with some inconsequential policies."

What other advice do I have?

Build a strong team for this solution because there will be a lot of issues that you will have to go through, especially on your HR database. Build a team that knows how to listen and how to act. The SAP integration process was quite interesting. You have to search for the answers in the right department with the right people. After that, it becomes easy. We are currently not on the cloud.
Samo Srebernjak
Head of User Support at MEGA M, Informacijske Tehnologije, d.o.o
Apr 8, 2019
There is a lot less help desk paperwork, which has increased employee productivity

What is our primary use case?

We have this process of provisioning and non-provisioning users, depending on our SAP HR database.

• "We no longer keep users who shouldn't exist."
  • "It is flexible with APIs and the customizing of a portal."
  • "I would like to have more extensive out-of-the-box reports."

What other advice do I have?

Implementation and integration with SAP went well from the Identity side, but we have had internal problems with the data. However, we have been solving that for four years now.
Samuel Paul
IAM / IAG freelance architect & project manager at iDynamx
Apr 8, 2019
All our lifecycle processes have been improved

What is our primary use case?

We have chosen the product, especially for its governance for all the processes of the company, onboarding of employees, and lifecycle processes.

• "For the recertification and segregation of duties, it's easier to know all the information about our employees. If we need to delete some information, we can do it from a central point, then it can be deleted on all our searches. This is very good for GDPR."
  • "The product is quite scalable, except for the database which is not highly available. This is where scalability could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We are satisfied with the product.
AM
ITBusinef7a0
IT Business Process Specialist at a consumer goods company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Apr 7, 2019
The web front-end needs improvement, but it is very helpful for managing the Joiner/Mover/Leaver process

What is our primary use case?

We want to bring our on-premise systems under our control, then our cloud solutions under our control.

• "With this product, we been able to bring together HR, IT, and lifecycle management. It is very helpful for managing the Joiner/Mover/Leaver process. We also use it for compliance on all the audits which are around."
  • "The tool is like a big Lego in which you can use the parts that make sense for your organization."
  • "The technical support is non-existent. It is not worth talking about."

What other advice do I have?

If you want real-time management, it can be done within three to five working days with this product. That is how we do things today, so we have a process in place and do it with internal resources. Bring your processors in under your control. Define what you want and when it works in Excel, then you are ready to buy the solution. It doesn't really matter which solution you would buy, as long as you have things under control. The policy and role management features are very powerful, but it is hard to make the organization use them in the proper way. We have not implemented the privileged…
DC
Deepu Chandran
Identity Access Management Specialist at GSL Consulting Gmbh
Apr 3, 2019
Privileged account governance, template customization, and Sync Engine are key features

What is our primary use case?

As consultants, we use it for provisioning, for access management in SAP, for AD access management. In the future, we may use it for many other applications like SafePoint and Office 365.

• "Even without any customization, if you install it, configure it, it's ready... It's very powerful. Without any customization, it starts working."
  • "The company policies feature is really good because in workflows you can check whether the policies are all working."
  • "One Identity has a self-service portal but many customers need a helpdesk where they can go in and request. To make that happen we need to do a lot of customization. Maybe that could be improved..."

What other advice do I have?

We are currently working on integrating it with SAP, but we are customizing a lot of things to fit with the current company's requirements. Their requirements are quite different from the out-of-the-box settings. Next month is the first SAP system go-live. After the SAP onboarding, we will look at the cloud. I have fixed some bugs in the code for the Office 365 onboarding earlier. That was a very early version with custom connectors to Office 365, version 6. But in terms of a cloud connector, we have not started to work on it yet, in the latest versions.
TS
Tobias Stehle
Product Owner at DmTech Gmbh
Apr 3, 2019
Its huge toolkit allows for customization and flexibility

What is our primary use case?

We manage companies identities and different legal bodies in it from all over Europe.

• "This solution has helped to increase employee productivity when it comes to provisioning users in our systems. This solution has been really been effective with our retail workers. It wouldn't be possible to onboard and manage our 40,000 store employees without it. The management of the solution is pretty automated."
  • "It's a huge toolkit, and you can do a lot of stuff with it. You can extend nearly everything, so if you want to build something that may not have been though of by the vendor. Compared with other distributors who design their products to certain specification, you can put in your own processes, because not all companies function the same. You can write what you want, and the process should be like that."
  • "They could make the product more user-friendly. It takes a lot of work to build technical and business cases with the product. The solution is more complex than you think to use."
  • "They could improve the support. Sometimes, you make a service request and don't get an answer. Then, sometimes, we don't get a response that we want, and it's frustrating."

What other advice do I have?

Don't work too much in the beginning. Focus on what's really necessary and important. Forget the luxuries you have. There are old processes that are really great for some people and look like pieces of artwork. However, the maintenance of them is really expensive. So, know what you really need, what is your business case, and what is important for you. Keep it simple and structured. Then, you will be happy with a solution like One Identity Manager. You have to understand the concepts of the software. Then, you can be productive and be happy with it. We were able, with this solution, to go…
Riyas Abdulkhader
Security Architect, InfoSec Consultant at Confidential ( Sensitive Industry)
Nov 14, 2018
Allows for large customization. Needs to provide a detailed solution document.

What is our primary use case?

This was for customers identity management, where there were a huge number of domains and the customer had unnecessarily complicated the system with a lot of parameters and attributes.

• "Quest One IDM allows for large customization."
  • "Quest Software should provide notes and documents to customers before they buy the product and license."
it_user725637
owner at Butschke IT Services
User
Nov 3, 2017
The Data Importer is a great tool to create an ETL, as it generates code

• "The Data Importer is a great tool to create an ETL. It generates code which is easy to maintain later without the tool."
  • "Some internal structures are in place because of already depreciated functions back from the time when the solution was used for software deployment and as a help desk."

What other advice do I have?

Great product, which I would recommend. It has a huge learning curve, but could solve all your IAM challenges. Make sure to have a good team and support from the vendor.
it_user666726
Directory Service Specialist at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
May 24, 2017
The data can be manipulated using SQL queries and commands. There are too many configuration interfaces.

What other advice do I have?

The product has its challenges, but when well configured, it can provide good results. In Q1IM, at least the version I worked with, it wasn't very intuitive to create processes and you need to actually add code to the boxes in order to customize. I always compare with NetIQ/Microfocus as they have the designer which is easier to elaborate rules. About the interface, they have multiple applications, such as report designer, webdesigner, designer, object browser, import tool, manager, identity manager, jobqueue info. Its a suit of apps. It takes time to get familiar with them and know which does…
it_user589356
Senior IT Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Feb 26, 2017
A portal for user requests and authorizations which can be customized to display corporate logos and color schemes.

What other advice do I have?

Clarify what level of automation is needed in a user access request. Authorization and provisioning is achievable while comparing company needs and objectives.
it_user368094
Solutions Architect - IAM at a tech company with 11-50 employees
Feb 1, 2017
It is easy to configure, as it is mostly UI based.

What other advice do I have?

This product is very effective and has more capabilities than any other.
it_user585720
Senior Identity and Access Management Specialist at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Jan 15, 2017
The GUI is clean. JobQueueInfo tracks all processes. WebDesigner allows customizations to be added to the web project.

What other advice do I have?

It is certainly a leading product in the IAM sphere.
it_user181518
Technical Support Analyst at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 14, 2015
Configuration & implementation was complex as we had complex requirements, but could quite easily be done simply.

What other advice do I have?

Have a team of dedicated staff for the implementation who are given enough time to understand the many dimensions of the tool.
Download our free One Identity Manager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.