OpenNebula OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

OpenNebula is the #9 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Management tools. It is most often compared to CloudStack: OpenNebula vs CloudStack

What is OpenNebula?

OpenNebula provides the most simple but feature-rich and flexible solution for the comprehensive management of virtualized data centers to enable private, public and hybrid IaaS clouds. OpenNebula interoperability makes cloud an evolution by leveraging existing IT assets, protecting your investments, and avoiding vendor lock-in.

OpenNebula is a turnkey enterprise-ready solution that includes all the features needed to provide an on-premises (private) cloud offering, and to offer public cloud services.

Download the Cloud Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

OpenNebula Customers
Akamai, BBC, Fermilab, Terradue, Surf Sara, Produban, Netways, ESA, China Mobile, BlackBerry, Deloitte, Fuze, Telefonica, Trivago

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about OpenNebula pricing:
  • "We use the Community Edition, rather than the Enterprise Edition."
  • "OpenNebuoa has recently come up with a new subscription model that is economical and a lot of new customers are choosing this as it is an easy subscription model."

OpenNebula Reviews

DR
CEO at Lidoma
Lightweight, stable, and well-suited for end-users

• "OpenNebula is lightweight, stable, and easy to customize."
  • "They have been saying for the past two and a half years that they would develop a feature to hot-add RAM and CPU, but it does not work."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the process of building a public cloud and we are using OpenNebula for its management. At the backend, we use ESXi 6.7, vCenter 6.7, and NSX. I believe that it's a really good combination for creating your cloud. We didn't choose the vCloud Director because of the license and we cannot pay for it. The reason is that we are in Iran, and we are faced with sanctions.

How has it helped my organization?

OpenNebula is a good product for the end-user cloud.

What is most valuable?

OpenNebula is lightweight, stable, and easy to customize.

What needs improvement?

The structure of the documentation is very messy. You can't find anything you want. When you search for features you are faced with many different topics and they don't have any connection to each other.

Compared to the documentation for VMware, it is really simple and messy. You find many topics that are not related to each other and you have to read all of the documents from beginning to end if you want to know how to set something up. For example, if you want to set up Kubernetes then you should be able to search for the top and learn how to do it. However, with OpenNebula, it is too difficult to do that.

They have been saying for the past two and a half years that they would develop a feature to hot-add RAM and CPU, but it does not work. They keep postponing it to the next version and we are impatiently waiting for it. When the ability to hot-add or remove RAM and CPU inside the virtual machine is working, it will be very good.

The community has some weaknesses. For example, the answers are sometimes very short and contain no detail, like "Working on it", without answering with specifics.

Another weakness is that you have to develop a third-party portal from outside and connect using the NSX API directly from it.

We have been using OpenNebula for the past one and a half to two years.

OpenNebula is really stable.

We had to use some third-party modules, for example, for HA clustering. We bought some extractors and we also had to change some features and code in OpenNebula for security.

We have more than 1,000 VDCs in our cluster.

We cannot use technical support due to sanctions so we rely on documentation, with trial and error. We would really appreciate being able to speak with the OpenNebula headquarters.

I tried to work with VMware vRA, which is very good, but because of its closed source, it's very difficult to add modules and customize it.

OpenStack is very complicated for the end-user so we did not use it because had we chosen it then we would have had to use many programmers and many infrastructure engineers. It is a very powerful solution, but I believe that it is only good for service provides rather than end-users.

As it is now, we are almost done and our public cloud product is OpenNebula and the modules that I have mentioned.

We use the Community Edition, rather than the Enterprise Edition.

I was told about OpenNebula from a friend in the USA. They use it because it is very lightweight, stable, easy to use, and easy to customize. Based on that recommendation, we implemented it and I am personally okay with it.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product for the end-user.

RT
Head - Operations & Sales at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy to install and use, can be used like a public cloud, and integrates with software-defined storage

• "The ability to use it almost like a public cloud for an organization is a big asset, as it will create a value proposition and can control costs in a great way."
  • "Most of the competitors are offering some sort of billing software to transform their installation to work as a small-sized public cloud, but those offerings from OpenNebula are still missing."

What is our primary use case?

We have implemented it for internal purposes and more for learning.

Integrated with KVM and VMware Hypervisors and on meager resources, just to check whether it works or not. We started this approximately five years back and it worked flawlessly.

A YouTube video shows the details of our implementation.

This can be used as a private/hybrid cloud and there are many well-known organizations that are using OpenNebula. These include the European Space Agency (ESA), BBC, China Telecom, TransUnion, and Trivago.

OpenNebula can also be used for High-Performance Computing.

How has it helped my organization?

OpenNebula has given us tremendous knowledge about cloud computing and about Cloud Management platforms, commonly known as CMP.

Moreover, it will be advantageous for any organization, as this can be local to all of its users and obviously faster compared to a public cloud because there are no latency problems.

It is also possible to integrate a Software-Defined Storage solution like LINBIT with OpenNebula, which brings a lot of agility to the solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are ease of use and easy installation.

It has all the features that will be required by an Organization and supports various Hypervisors.

What needs improvement?

With a detailed billing module, this can be used as a complete public cloud implementation, and we are waiting to see that module from OpenNebula.

With the addition of this module, it will bring completeness to the overall offerings. We hope that OpenNebula listens to this and bring quickly the module.

We have been using OpenNebula for more than five years.

The stability is rock-solid.

This product is highly scalable.

We have not taken it, as we were able to do it on our own without any problems.

The initial setup is simple and straightforward.

We complete the deployment in-house.

Return on investment is extremely quick.

We evaluated CloudStack before choosing OpenNebula.

What other advice do I have?

vOneCloud is another interesting product from OpenNebula that can transform a normal VMware installation to mimic a full-blown public cloud. The best part is that this can be implemented on a VMware environment by just downloading an appliance.

Within 5-6 minutes, one can experience the power of VOneCloud.

This sort of product offerings from OpenNebula shows the ability of the Engineering Team of OpenNebula. Kudos to the OpenNebula team.