OpenShift Overview

OpenShift is the #5 ranked solution in our list of PaaS Services. It is most often compared to Amazon AWS: OpenShift vs Amazon AWS

What is OpenShift?

OpenShift is Red Hat's Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) that allows developers to quickly develop, host, and scale applications in a cloud environment. With OpenShift you have a choice of offerings, including online, on-premise, and open source project options.

Download the PaaS Clouds Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

OpenShift Customers

UPS, Cathay Pacific, Hilton

OpenShift Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

DM
System Installation Solution Department Manager
I love to automate everything and OpenShift was been born to do so

What is our primary use case?

OpenShift is a primary tool in my daily work and in the project I have been working on in recent years – TV streaming services used widely in the U.S. and outside. OpenShift is used for intensive DevOps and running pieces of the project adhering to the microservices architecture. The project's architecture includes physical servers in tens of datacenters. OpenShift plays a central role in developing, testing, and running specific software.

• "I love to automate everything and OpenShift was been born for that. It takes care of the network layer itself and I don't need to dive into it; I can work on a top level. Our project has numerous services designed to run in Docker containers, and we have run almost all pieces in OpenShift."
  • "I think that OpenShift has too many commands for running services from the CLI, and the configuration files are a little complicated."
Senior Systems Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Virtualization of my APIs has cut costs significantly

What is our primary use case?

Migration of old and custom APIs and development environments, for both internal and client-facing use. This migration has been going on for two and half years now. It is a rather large endeavour. I would estimate we have another six to nine months ahead.

• "The virtualization of my APIs means I no longer have to pay VMware large amounts of money to only run in-house solutions."
  • "There have been some issues with security, in particular, that we had to address. At times they make it “clunky." I am quite confident these parameters will appear in the next releases. They have been reported as bugs and are actually in process."
Find out what your peers are saying about Red Hat, Amazon, VMware and others in PaaS Clouds. Updated: June 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user850419
System Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Volume handling and security need improvement, but app uptime is good

What is our primary use case?

The OpenShift environment will be used by medical applications. This environment is still in the development/QA phase.

How has it helped my organization?

Not yet.

What is most valuable?

The scaling and uptime of the applications.

What needs improvement?

Needs work on volume handling (although this is already better with GlusterFS). Security (SSSD) would also be an improvement.

Less than one year.

Not at this moment (still running in dev/QA phase).

Not at this moment (still running in dev/QA phase).

Five stars out of five, all issues were…
it_user850422
Technical Consultant at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
Streamlines scaling and provides one-click rollback to previous version

What is our primary use case?

Migrate to microservices.

How has it helped my organization?

Has helped us with faster deployment time, zero downtime.

What is most valuable?

Scaling Fast deployment Zero downtime when releasing a new version Auto-recreate pod if pod fails Fast rollback, with one click, to previous version

What needs improvement?

It could use auto-scaling based on criteria such as transaction volume, queue backlog, etc. Currently, it is limited to CPU and memory.  Credential not hidden, so people on the same group can view it.

Still implementing.
PV
Research And Development Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
UI is good but some features are platform-specific, requiring many changes if ported

What is our primary use case?

We were running many of our products on OpenShift.

How has it helped my organization?

We had to discontinue this solution due to many limitations.

What is most valuable?

Has a better UI and is good as a CICD solution.

What needs improvement?

Some of the features are platform-specific, so if it is ported to other cloud solutions it requires a lot of changes.

it_user849108
Associate Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Helps with debugging in a containerized environment, but setup is tedious

What is our primary use case?

I am using OpenShift as a container platform to host various applications in a containerized environment.

How has it helped my organization?

It has really helped me a lot in debugging the issues.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable thing about it is the support available.

What needs improvement?

Installation and setup are a bit tedious, especially in a proxy environment.

Less than one year.
Abdelfattah Ragab
Senior Software Engineer at a healthcare company
WildFly as an application server standardizes infrastructure

What is our primary use case?

Java and WildFly.

How has it helped my organization?

OpenShift is great for flexibility, agility, and speed of delivery. We use WildFly as an application server. We have not started to use OpenShift mainly, yet.

What is most valuable?

WildFly, because it standardizes infrastructure. The git repository and docker. Git is essential for source code and Docker for infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if it supported Bitbucket repositories too.

TB
Director and Head of IT at a non-tech company
Self-provisioning saves the admin time/work and provides flexibility for development, testing, and production

What is our primary use case?

In short, OpenShift is about running and developing applications in a very efficient manner without the need to mess with virtual machines and other environments. Longer version: OpenShift is a system for developing and running container-based applications. It uses Kubernetes for the orchestration and deployment, but it is much more than that. With excellent self-provisioning capabilities, it helps power users (developers and administrators) to do their jobs in the shortest time possible. If applications are built with the best practices for cloud or on-premise deployment, they will run well… more »

• "Security is also an important part of this solution. By default, things are running with limited privileges and securely confined to their own resources. This way, different users and projects can all use the same infrastructure."
  • "Self-provisioning support saves a lot of time and unnecessary work from the system administrator who can use this time to run and monitor the infrastructure. For the developer, this means less time waiting for the provisioning and excellent flexibility for development, testing, and production. Also, in such systems it is easy for developers to monitor applications even after deployment."
  • "Excellent GUI support, so one does not need to use the command line client for almost any tasks. Great support for building images directly from Git repositories with hooks."
  • "Great integration with Jenkins for constant integration and development. Supports all the major languages and environments - PHP, Java, Node.js, Ruby, etc."
  • "The area for improvement is mostly in support for legacy applications."

What other advice do I have?

I rate this product a 10 out of 10, as this is one of the best options for developing and running modern applications. Easy to use, easy to scale. Offers great command line and Web client. Excellent also for automation.
Chief Operations Officer at a tech services company
Valuable features include continuous integration between different technologies and Single Sign-On

What other advice do I have?

Try using OpenShift Origin (free version) for a instance. It is pretty stable and has new nice features. The code is on GitHub, so you can always suggest improvements and bug fixes.
it_user704028
Chief Data and Systems Architect at a tech services company

What other advice do I have?

While a PaaS is not for everyone, OpenShift mixes the best combination of new technology with the reuse of existing technology. This reuse of familiar options gives OpenShift simpler integration, and greatly reduces the learning curve for new users. If you need a PaaS with the ability to customize it to handle more complex deployments using protocols other than HTTP, or you need a solution that will scale from a developer's workstation to a multi-site global installation only, OpenShift gives you that flexibility.
it_user701412
Cloud Architect at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
"Over almost four years, the product has evolved from a basic PaaS to a full-fledged PaaS and Private Cloud solution."

What other advice do I have?

It's a solid solution if you are looking for a perfect enterprise-level PaaS. AWS is a better solution if you are looking for IaaS.
it_user674052
Application architect, Senior UNIX system administrator, Middleware specialist at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The CI and CD are fast, easy, and secure​.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good product. But before implementing it, verify that the product matches your expectations. Remember that the product changes very quickly, so read news as often as you can! This is not the only solution, so be ready to work with it. But this solution was selected by Red Hat.
Senior Systems Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Right now the major point is cost effectiveness. The improvements I am expecting will be better presented when in full production.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework. Take the time to analyze what you really want and need. I am not saying this is the absolute answer to all your questions as that would be unreasonable and naive. I personally believe that at least 75% of cases probably should be directed at Red Hat in general.
it_user683448
Data Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Developing on a standard product like this supports our customers' need for cloud based container solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Start small, try the open source OpenShift Origin first, then develop a sample application to get accustomed to the platform.
it_user683466
Senior (Consultant) Software Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
It is simple to build configurations and deploy your changes and promote them to different environments.

What other advice do I have?

Try out OpenShift or read up on it first to see the benefits. Also build a Kubernetes cluster yourself to know what goes on under the hood in OpenShift.
it_user685341
Red Hat Certified Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great GUI and CLI tools allow developers to deploy, test and delete projects on demand, freeing up time for the operations team to work on production readiness.

What other advice do I have?

Take it for a spin with Minishift: https://www.openshift.org/mini... Use the free version of OpenShift called Origin for the development environment to save on licensing: https://www.openshift.org/ Use the paid OCP version for QA and production environments to get technical support: https://www.openshift.com/cont... Do not implement your own CI/CD flow, instead rely on OpenShift integrated CI/CD or use something like https://fabric8.io/
Product Categories
PaaS Clouds
Download our free PaaS Clouds Report and find out what your peers are saying about Red Hat, Amazon, VMware, and more!